PDA

View Full Version : 'New' Metallica: Death Magnetic

Hereticpoo
12th September 2008, 01:20 PM
Anyone like Metallica? 'Death Magnetic' is being released worldwide today and I for one was very excited.

Untill I listened to the album at http://www.metallica.com .

I liked 2 songs.

Nice try Metallica but I didn't feel it. There are some excellent riff's and solo's on the album and some painfull moments where you think the song is going really well, or building up to a great moment, and then its the old ham fisted load and reload riffs.

I love these guys and I'm really dissapointed by this one. They've tried to go back to the Puppets and Kill Em All days and its nice and thrashy, but there's no edge. Somethings missing, maybe they're to old or tone deaf. Its like they're trying to cut steak with a butter knife.

Sorry Metallica I'm not buying this one. After barely liking Load, Reload and Some kind of Monster I won't do it to myself. Metallica is like the abusive girlfriend, I keep going back and she still treats me bad. Not this time Metallica, I'm breaking up with you. :(

kurdt_the_goat
12th September 2008, 01:41 PM
I quite like the music on this one, it sounds like vintage Metallica (although not as meticulously structured), but i think Hetfields singing and lyrics let it down.

I think you should give it a few more listens before passing judgement anyway!

Pulse
12th September 2008, 02:28 PM
I saw a Metallica segment between shows on TV1 last night & in their own spin...

"they approached this album in that each track should be a killer track on its own - not just another song that the listener skips. They came in with the thinking that this album should be treated as their first album - in that Metal Fans haven't heard their music before & that they needed to showcase the best they've got" or something like that...

I was a fan for a while back in the Sandman days & I really liked that Orchestra thing :) (re-invention is definitely a good thing) but like you Kurdt, I still have to listen to their new album a few more times before I decide if it's forgettable or if I come back to it in years to come...

jacksplatt11
12th September 2008, 03:34 PM
I'm a huge fan of everything black album and before it.. after that not so much, st anger had its moments, but overall i thought it was pretty poor... so I'm in no real rush to check this one out, but i will prob get it at some stage..

roller
12th September 2008, 06:53 PM
someone buy it for Gamblor, he'd like this

Vector Sigma 13
12th September 2008, 08:18 PM
Had a listen to bits and pieces of most songs- very old school. Im impressed considering how average some of the albums were after the black album. Some good songs were present in these albums but it almost seems they lost their way for awhile. I think this is a return to what they know and maybe some improvement on that.

BTW AC/DC has a new album out at the end of october and the first single rocks:

http://www.acdcrocks.com/

Soundwarp
12th September 2008, 08:37 PM
I love Metallica but i am sceptical about their new stuff.

jacksplatt11
12th September 2008, 08:54 PM
this one wasn't produced by bob rock, "the man who ruined metallica" so perhaps that's why its back to their oldschool kinda stuff.. its produced by rick rubin who's produced a lot of awesome stuff with slayer, soad, rhcp and many more..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Rubin

Scattershot
12th September 2008, 11:24 PM
I love the new album. Buying it on the weekend. Can't wait to listen to it some more!

Soundwarp
14th September 2008, 08:11 PM
I have been listening to clips of it on Bigpond music......

Still uncertain.

gamblor916
15th September 2008, 08:24 AM
I gave it a listen and to me it sounds like more of the same stuff they've been putting out last couple of albums. There are some nice riffs here and there but nothing that great. Hetfields vocals are really tired now I think.

Demonac
15th September 2008, 08:33 AM
I think it's pretty 'meh'.
If it weren't for it being a 'Metallica' album, it wouldn't get any attention at all.
There have been a lot of great albums released in metal this year...Metallica would barely rate a mention.

To Punish & Enslave
17th September 2008, 12:37 AM
I think it's pretty 'meh'.
If it weren't for it being a 'Metallica' album, it wouldn't get any attention at all.
There have been a lot of great albums released in metal this year...Metallica would barely rate a mention.

I tend to disagree Demonac. I’m a Metallica fan from way back and grew up on the original garage days etc. They did sell out when the black album was made.
Death Magnetic songs are obviously not designed to be played on commercial mainstream radio stations with most songs over the six minute mark. Death Magnetic shows they still have what it takes to please old school fans like me. I give it 10/10

Soundwarp
17th September 2008, 06:15 AM
Wow with that sort of review (10/10) i may try harder to listen to it.