PDA

View Full Version : Toy Review - Fracture (Deployer)

GoktimusPrime
24th July 2015, 12:43 AM
Series - Robots In Disguise
Size/class - Deployer
Wave - 1
New/remould/redeco – New
Released here - July 2015
Approximate Retail Price - $29
Approximate Size - 13cm
Allegiance - Decepticon
Alt-mode - motorcycle
Main Features/Gimmicks – launches Mini-Cons. Comes w/ Mini-Con Airazor
Main Colours – purple & lavender

Stock photo (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/9/9c/RID2015-Mini-Con-Deployers-Fracture.jpg)

Terrible. One of the worst Transformers toys I've ever seen. When I first saw images of this toy online, I feared that it would be a toy that's overwhelmed by a lame gimmick. In reality, this toy is overwhelmed by a lame gimmick.

The robot mode features 8 points of articulation, but the right arm springs back to a down position because of the gimmick. The Mini-Con launcher is this big lump that hangs off the right side behind Fracture's right shoulder. Aside from the unsightly asymmetry, it also disrupts Fracture's balance, making him right-back heavy. If you click the feet up all the way (until it locks), it does provide some support, but it still teeters back and is prone to falling over backwards anyway.

The motorcycle mode is a joke. It's basically the robot doing this (http://www.diversifiedhealth.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Pelvic-Tilting-Exercise-Lower-Back-Flexion12.jpg). The lump is unbelievably a side car.

The gimmick is terrible in robot mode. Looks like he's playing lawn bowls, and is more often shooting^bowling below or off the side or behind Fracture rather than in front of him (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-DTU28kueJ6g/U_TBoWxncoI/AAAAAAAABu8/FfHoTy3BNzA/s1600/stormtroopers-never-hit-anything.jpg). :rolleyes: The right arm also rises as he bowls, as if he's gesturing for the Mini-Con to go forward, which is neat in concept I guess. The gimmick itself doesn't work smoothly on my toy. I gotta push down really hard on the back trigger and it feels like I'm about to snap it. It can be easier if you just manually push the launcher back until you hear it click, but then you've practically already done half of the launcher's movement by hand! What's the point of the trigger?? :confused:

Airazor is by far the worst Mini-Con I've ever seen. Transforms from a crappy robot to a folded up crappy robot and back. Yeah, that's his alt mode... it's just the robot doing this (http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/soldier-standing-attention-29635198.jpg) with his head retracted like a turtle's. It bears a very vague resemblance to Fracture's shoulder pads... if you squint real, real hard and ignore all the gaps. Airazor features a whopping 2 points of articulation.

Overall
This toy is a steaming pile of faecal excrement. Avoid with extreme prejudice.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/th_facepalm_ridbumble_zpsvojejoro.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/th_jaam_pain.gif

UltimateGalvatron
24th July 2015, 07:49 AM
Well then...

UltimateGalvatron
24th July 2015, 07:56 AM
.... If this is the supposedly better of the two Deployers.... I dread to think what Drift is like!

Handsprime
24th July 2015, 07:59 AM
.... If this is the supposedly better of the two Deployers.... I dread to think what Drift is like!

Based on what I've seen, Drift doesn't look terrible. While it is inferior compared to the warrior class figure, I would like to see how it works.

DELTAprime
24th July 2015, 08:34 AM
I've got the TAV version of Fracture and his Minicons ordered for next month. I'm frankly only getting him to complete the cast.

GoktimusPrime
24th July 2015, 09:32 AM
I've got the TAV version of Fracture and his Minicons ordered for next month. I'm frankly only getting him to complete the cast.
Same here. Although I think if anyone wants to do that, you might as well get the One Step Changer. The One Step Changer's alt mode is waaay more show-accurate too -- it actually looks like a motorbike instead of a robot doing pilates! :p

Sinnertwin
24th July 2015, 06:07 PM

So have I. Are you going TaV only or mixing it up with the Hasbro stuff too?

CBratron
24th July 2015, 06:32 PM
It's clear this is meant to be played with but even FoC Blaster/Soundwave with data disks does this better.

DELTAprime
24th July 2015, 06:51 PM
Same here. Although I think if anyone wants to do that, you might as well get the One Step Changer. The One Step Changer's alt mode is waaay more show-accurate too -- it actually looks like a motorbike instead of a robot doing pilates! :p

Yeah but the One Step doesn't have the Minicons, this does. I'll get the Microshooter Drift also just for the Minicons.

So have I. Are you going TaV only or mixing it up with the Hasbro stuff too?

I'll get as much of the cast as I can in TAV as I do like the extra little touches TT is putting on the paint jobs but I think there are a couple of characters that are going to be Hasbro only like Bisk who only has a figure not a transformable toy so I'll get Hasbro versions of them. Also I went with Hasbro's Warrior Optimus Prime instead of the huge TAV Optimus because I feel he's a little too big.

GoktimusPrime
24th July 2015, 10:03 PM
I'm not personally willing to pay $23 for a Mini-Con, especially for a Mini-Con as abysmally terrible as this. :eek:

SuspectimusPrime
26th July 2015, 08:26 PM
I'm not personally willing to pay $23 for a Mini-Con, especially for a Mini-Con as abysmally terrible as this. :eek:

Thanks for this review Gok. I was really close to picking this guy up this afternoon, as $23 seemed like a reasonable price. I love how the Decepticons in this show are all canonically bad-guys (like the generic stock in Spotlight Cliffjumper (http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=1055)): awesome designs, head armour, and most importantly - perfect Decepticonian colouring (blues, purples). The quality of this toy's design and also it's plastic quality (?) will make it a miss for me.

If they can being back the engineering from TF:Prime, I'd quite easily pick up all the Decepticons (especially Chop Shop!).

MayzaPrime
27th July 2015, 11:22 AM
I was also looking at picking this up, looks like I will be giving it a miss :p

GoktimusPrime
27th July 2015, 10:23 PM
I got One Step Changer Fracture today, but I ceebs to make a new review thread for it (and let's face it, there's not all that much to talk about a simple One Step Changer :p), so I'll just make a brief comparison w/ Deployer Fracture here. In short: it's about equally as rubbish the Deployer Fracture. Both toys have their pros and cons against each other, but all up, they're both pretty bad.

Deployer Fracture looks better in robot mode (still a crap robot though) while One Step Fracture definitely looks better (and more show accurate) in motorcycle mode. At at Target's current toy sale, there's only a $3 difference between the two, so it's hard to pick a winner (or more accurately, a greater loser). If we compare both toys at full RRP, and bearing in mind that motorcycle-formers are harder to do than car-formers (since there's less space in the alt mode to conceal robot parts), the One Step Changer probably offers better value (though still not good value).

My overall recommendations:
* Avoid both toys unless you want to own this character from the show.
* If you don't care about Airazor, just get the One Step Changer. At least the financial hurt will be a bit less, especially if you can get it on sale.
* If you do want to get Airazor as well, then get it on sale. Do NOT pay full RRP for the Deployer!

BigTransformerTrev
28th July 2015, 09:23 AM
When I went to open this toy last night I was thinking "Wow - the robot looks a helluva lot better than the Drift Deployer - this might be good"

Then I opened him and realised the deployer mechanism does not detach - what balls! It looks so stupid and unsightly sitting up over his right shoulder! :mad:

I don't mind the motorcycle mode too much - looks suitably Cybertronian and it looks like it could be a Cybertronian side-car. Not nrealy as detailed as the robot mode but with the awful backpack that is how is gonna live.

I quite like the Mini-Con, especially his leg structure, its nice to see something a bit different and it looks pretty cool. Only let-down for me is the face - looks like some bad lava-moster. And all the extra bits you can attach to him don't look as good as Drifts Mini-Con.

Overall yet another sucky installment for what is proving to be a fairly substandard cartoon and toyline. If it wasn't for the deployer in robot mode I'd say at least this is better than Drift, instead it is worse :( Just glad I didn't pay full price for the fragger.

SuspectimusPrime
28th July 2015, 10:04 AM
I don't mind the motorcycle mode too much - looks suitably Cybertronian and it looks like it could be a Cybertronian side-car. Not nrealy as detailed as the robot mode but with the awful backpack that is how is gonna live.

Yeah I rather enjoy asymmetrical/Cybertronian/space/futuristic designs. I mean if the B-Wing (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/A/SF-01_B-wing_starfighter) or cloud city fighter (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Storm_IV_Twin-Pod_cloud_car) could fly...

Only let-down for me is the face - looks like some bad lava-moster.

Both of Fracture's mini-cons remind me of that nasty little sod Kremzeek.

UltraMarginal
28th July 2015, 10:21 AM
I was seriously considering buying this but after all the glowing reviews I might skip it.

shockNwave
1st August 2015, 08:56 PM
1. When I first saw it's alt-mode I thought it was a combiner that a titan class Airachnid or Black Arachnia wears as a night slipper before going to bed/offline.:confused:

2.Lately I've been noticing a lot Fractures being left on the shelves while Drift is being snapped up.

GoktimusPrime
1st August 2015, 09:25 PM
2.Lately I've been noticing a lot Fractures being left on the shelves while Drift is being snapped up.
Same here, although it may be the popularity of the character (re: riding on Age of Extinction's coattails) rather than the toy selling on its own merit.