PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece Voltron opinions

kurdt_the_goat
15th September 2008, 03:26 PM
Hey guys

Omega3's thread selling his original Voltron pilots got me thinking, perhaps a Masterpiece Voltron would look nice on my shelf :) I hope some lucky kid is still playing with my Matchbox version that my mum donated to the Salvation Army many moons ago....

Do any of you have one and care to offer opinions? I've mostly read it's a pretty nice piece, but have also heard it suffered QC issues. How much do you think it's worth paying for?

Thanks!

Hereticpoo
15th September 2008, 03:46 PM
I would so buy one if it wasn't so darn expensive!

Check it, review http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=Reviews&req=showcontent&id=864

A heap of photos in it.

Omega Supreme
15th September 2008, 03:57 PM
I have two of these, one in the box, another loose. Personally I think they look great in the box, but the set does look 100% better loose and formed as Voltron. It really depends on what you have planned for it, since forming mine, it has sat on the shelf gathering dust, but I have had no trouble with it at all. A friend who got his at the same time as, got his for his son, who needless to say has trashed a really expensive toy. They arent desiged to be played with(even by big kids) but as a display piece its completely fine and if your a fan of Voltron, most surely worth the price.

kurdt_the_goat
15th September 2008, 04:00 PM
Yep, i recently purchased a nice shelf for my toys (99% TF's), but having my Masterpiece models on the top shelf looks so nice, i thought ol' Voltron would be a fitting display piece as well. I'd very rarely split him apart, probably only changing his pose on occasion. I was the biggest Voltron fan as a kid... according to my mum, i was sorely disapointed when the toy they got me for christmas didn't actually fly! So does this one? :p

BTW, hope to have pics of my collection soon, getting a new, smaller desk soon, which'll give me space to shoot some nice photos.

iceburn
15th September 2008, 04:09 PM
i love Voltrons, the MP one is nice and comes in a big "book"
if i've the cash, i'll get it some fine day...

you might wanna consider this too:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toynami-Voltron-Lion-Master-piece-Collectors-Gift-Set_W0QQitemZ120304939611QQihZ002QQcategoryZ348QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kurdt_the_goat
15th September 2008, 04:14 PM
Is that a re-release in new/simplified packaging? The price is much more tempting!

iceburn
15th September 2008, 04:16 PM
no idea..hope that's not a KO...

Pulse
15th September 2008, 04:17 PM
They don't seem to be that expensive (http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_nkwZmasterpieceQ20voltronQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZR 40QQ_mdoZ) but cos they're so darn heavy, I'm guessing shipping would be a b#%@$

kurdt_the_goat
15th September 2008, 04:33 PM
Hmm, a bit of research leads me to believe that link iceburn posted is legit, but a plastic reissue rather than diecast..

Verno
15th September 2008, 05:25 PM
I bought my brother one for his B'Day last year. I've not seen it since but from memory it was spectacular!

Rampage
15th September 2008, 06:28 PM
I was the biggest Voltron fan as a kid... according to my mum, i was sorely disapointed when the toy they got me for christmas didn't actually fly!

coulda been worse i ended up with vehicle voltron :(:mad:

kurdt_the_goat
15th September 2008, 06:50 PM
It wasn't until a year or so ago, that i even realised what vehicle Voltron was! As a kid, i only ever had the lion force toys and presumably watched the tv show.. but then at some point i got a VHS of vehicle force, which totally did my head in... it seemed the same, but the characters and robot was all different... I had no idea where it came from back then!

Lint
15th September 2008, 07:17 PM
coulda been worse i ended up with vehicle voltron :(:mad:

Hey don't knock vehicle voltron :p

Though I must say the toy sucked compared to lion voltron. Show was pretty good from memory.

Paulbot
15th September 2008, 10:02 PM
Poor Vehicle Voltron, the neglected and forgotten Voltron series.

I remember being more than a little disappointed when I bought one of those small diecast Voltrons as a little kiddie and discovering it didn't disassemble into five lions! But I got over it and got the Vehicle one too on which at least the jet on the chest came on and off.

dirge
15th September 2008, 10:25 PM
Vehicle Voltron FTW!

BTW, I have the old skool Lion & Vehicle Voltrons only, so I can't offer any advice on modern toys.

iceburn
16th September 2008, 10:21 AM
Vehicle Voltron? what's that....is there a series for that?
gosh..am i too old for this

Paulbot
16th September 2008, 11:19 AM
http://www.voltronuniverse.com/vehicle.html

The Vehicle Voltron cartoon had 52 episodes, but wasn't repeated as often here as much as the Lion one was.

sifun
16th September 2008, 09:52 PM
i want this baddd... it'd end up being 200 aud shipped i'd say. :(

i need one badly. haha not the plastic version..lolz

Tiby
18th September 2008, 08:57 AM
It's garbage. I got mine ages ago, opened it and out of the box the legs on 2 of the lions were broken and Blue lion does not connect to the Black properly (pick it up and it falls off). I was too afraid to transform any of the other lion legs as the joins broke straight away when I tried one of them.

I took photos, put them back in the box and tried to return it (which the seller was happy for me to do) but the postage back was over $100. Now I have a large box holding up my other, far superior toys.

Sorry to be so negative, but I held out a long time before I got a Lion Force Voltron (having wanted one for many years) and then Toynami made this piece of junk and labelled is Masterpiece. What a misnomer! My browsing showed me that Toynami's quality is generally below par, which I wish I would have done before I wasted so much money on this paperweight.

iceburn
18th September 2008, 09:03 AM
Tiby..so you're talking about the MP Lion Voltron is of bad plastic quality?

Tiby
18th September 2008, 09:07 AM
Yep - the very thin legs on the smaller lions and the joint / connector system on the "leg" lions. Buyer beware.

iceburn
18th September 2008, 10:08 AM
noted....

lcz128
19th September 2008, 12:04 AM
i love Voltrons, the MP one is nice and comes in a big "book"
if i've the cash, i'll get it some fine day...

you might wanna consider this too:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toynami-Voltron-Lion-Master-piece-Collectors-Gift-Set_W0QQitemZ120304939611QQihZ002QQcategoryZ348QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the upcoming rerelease of the Masterpiece one, but this time completely as plastic. No diecast metal! :)

I too want one... :(