PDA

View Full Version : Is there a difference between Classics Skywarp and Starscream?

jaydisc
16th September 2008, 09:17 AM
So, Paulbot, Iceburn and I were talking about whether we were interested in Acid Storm or not, and Paulbot mentioned that he read somewhere that it used the Skywarp mold as opposed to the Starscream mold. He then followed up with the source (http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/Classic/UDeluxe2):

Other Notes: This is actually a redeco of the Skywarp version of the
mold, not the original Starscream, but I've listed changes in plastic colors
relative to Starscream since more people are likely to have that one. The
difference is mainly in the air intakes, which have a shallower interior
angle on Starscream than on Skywarp or Acid Storm.

Unfortunately, all my Starscreams have been donated to Classics LioKaiser projects so I can't compare. What say all of you?

Paulbot
16th September 2008, 09:48 AM
I can't answer without access to my figures, but as I said yesterday I have trust in Dave Van Domelen, I've been going to his site for toy reviews since Beast Wars.

This difference was also noted in his review of Skywarp (http://www.eyrie.org/~dvandom/BW/Classic/VoyagerAC), but it was someone else who first noted this difference:

Mold Changes: None I can find. [But Powered Convoy of the AllSpark
found one. The air intakes have been slightly remolded, so that the slope is
different on the part that rises up from the shoulders in robot mode. This
change is also found in Ramjet.]

STL
16th September 2008, 10:50 AM
Unfortunately, all my Starscreams have been donated to Classics LioKaiser projects so I can't compare.

Have those bastards replaced yours yet?

iceburn
16th September 2008, 10:57 AM
so what does holy fudge and ridiculous means??? *haha* same NO?

jaydisc
16th September 2008, 10:59 AM
"Holy fudge" attempts to translate to, "Wow! I've checked and it is actually different!"

iceburn
16th September 2008, 11:06 AM
trunks and STL...what's the difference??

Golden Phoenix
16th September 2008, 11:52 AM
Wow. That is something that I never noticed. It is one of those slight things that you have to be told about it to noticed.
I actually prefer the way it is done on Skywarp, I looks better...only slightly, but still!

i_amtrunks
16th September 2008, 01:08 PM
trunks and STL...what's the difference??

The air intakes do seem different between Screamer and Skywarp, but that could just be me looking for them to be different. Ramjet seems to not be exactly the same as either of them...

iceburn
16th September 2008, 01:10 PM
The air intakes do seem different between Screamer and Skywarp, but that could just be me looking for them to be different. Ramjet seems to not be exactly the same as either of them...

where's the air intake? that's the part that i don't get

i_amtrunks
16th September 2008, 01:15 PM
where's the air intake? that's the part that i don't get

I'm taking it as meaning the air intakes on the chest in robot mode, the sections that turn into the really ordinary landing gear in alt mode.

Starscream (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/classics/starscream/926/1/43/) and Skywarp (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/classics/skywarp/1076/1/43/). Not easy to see, but I think there are some differences in the angle of the side in the centre of the chest.

griffin
16th September 2008, 01:19 PM
My stupid computer crashed as I was sending my post to this topic, so this isn't as descriptive as it originally was. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Basically, the first seeker jet Starscream's air intake section is different to every other seeker jet released since, including the Henkei Starscream. I can't see with my eye any obvious difference in the angles anywhere, and without a protractor to measure them, there is sculpting difference giving it away though.
On Starscream, the sculpting detail inside the air intake has three horizontal lines (see attached pic) while on all other seekers it's four lines (see attached pic of skywarp). The extra length to that inner air-intake sculpting could be caused by a slight shifting of the panel's angle in the mould/tooling, but as far as I can tell, it's just a slight sculpting varience, which I wouldn't have even noticed before reading DVD's review of Acid Storm last week.

i_amtrunks
16th September 2008, 01:40 PM
Sorry Iceburn, looks like I was looking at the wrong area!
I told you it was just me looking for differences! :D

iceburn
16th September 2008, 01:51 PM
that's why i couldn't figure it out either...
thanks guys...anyway, my loose figures have REPROLABELS sticked over the AIR INTAKE parts...can't see the difference either... *lol*

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7476/ssandswae7.jpg

thanks griffin!! it's pretty clear to me now and i was still thinking of the inside mould.
slight difference then...NOTED!

liegeprime
16th September 2008, 02:25 PM
Well my figures dont have any difference at all... both have Four ridges or horizontal lines in each of their inner air intake thingie. Although I must admit at first glance Skywarp tends to be looking more sleek than Screamer, but then that I can certainly be sure is beacuase of the color scheme Skywarp has been given. Screamer looks a little fat coz of the lighter color scheme it has. But as far as I can see in my figs.... no difference at all.

Paulbot
16th September 2008, 03:42 PM
It is possible that this mold change filtered through to later manufactures and that only some of the early classic Starscream may have this difference.

sifun
16th September 2008, 03:49 PM
the plastic used in skywarp isn't as "Gummy" as starscream.
You can see the detail in skywarps face is more defined than in starscreams. Even with paint on.

iceburn
16th September 2008, 03:49 PM
jay and i were figuring out too...

Botcon seekers are Skywarp's mould
Henkei Starscream is also Skywarp's mould
I can also assume that liege's Classic Starscream might be a re-released figure or comes from the 2-pack that is using the new mould.

so I guess that makes the first single pack Starscream a "rather" unique individual and mould

Pulse
16th September 2008, 06:25 PM
so I guess that makes the first single pack Starscream a "rather" unique individual and mould

Ooooh, you reckon a sealed one might be worth something one day? ;)

Golden Phoenix
16th September 2008, 08:45 PM

Nope. Mine is from the 2 pack and it is different to my Skywarp. It could have been just a slight change of mould. I doubt that they only have one. So when they start to break they just started using Skywarp's as Starscream and everything after

Thanatos
16th September 2008, 09:07 PM
My Skywarp and Starscream (from the 2 pack) seem the same :\

liegeprime
16th September 2008, 09:23 PM
I really dont see any difference:confused:.... I have Starscream from single pack - first release ( no variance as I mentioned early post) I also have another screamer from the two pack ( repainted to Thundercracker) and I still dont see any variance. This so called variance could be a hoax. :D:p

King Atlas
16th September 2008, 09:38 PM
I see the differences but I don't think it's anything special. I mean, it's not like its a new head or fists....

kup
16th September 2008, 10:07 PM
I cannot see a mold difference between any of my Classic/Henkei seekers.

Paulbot
16th September 2008, 10:17 PM
My camera focus did not work, but you can still see by the paint that my Acid Storm's painted section (the flat part) is deeper/longer than on my Classic Starscream. The interior angle is different.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3256/2861851155_c409dcba0f.jpg?v=0

kup
16th September 2008, 10:41 PM
Sorry but mold wise, they all look identical to me

jacksplatt11
16th September 2008, 10:50 PM
both my starscream and skywarp appear to be the same.. but obviously some are different.. is there a reason why? it seems to be a strange thing to change..

Saintly
17th September 2008, 10:31 AM
i'll have to have a look and compare

griffin
17th September 2008, 02:25 PM
My toys match the photos I posted above, so it is not a hoax. It is a real variance. Albeit so minor, it's almost insignificant.

Saintly
17th September 2008, 02:36 PM
ooops... didn't see your earlier post, griff :)

but I'll still compare them anyway... and abit of dogfighting :D