PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars midnight toy launch Sept 4th

griffin
31st August 2015, 04:15 PM
Some stores on Friday 12.01am (3 hours after late night shopping Thursday night), will be having a midnight launch of the new Star Wars toys.

The ToysRUs at Garden City (Brisbane) is one... but I don't know what other stores will be doing it.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/2015tru09.jpg

griffin
31st August 2015, 04:56 PM
ToysRUs details and participating stores (http://www.toysrus.com.au/star-wars-force-friday/) - NSW, VIC, QLD, SA, ACT.

Target details and participating stores (http://www.target.com.au/starwars/midnightmadness) - only six stores, in NSW, VIC and SA.

Megatran
31st August 2015, 05:50 PM
I really want to get excited by this news, but it'll probably end up being pretty lame stuff ..... or stuff reissued again & again & again.

Starscream77
31st August 2015, 06:56 PM
Anyone happen to know if Aus will stock TFA 6 inch black series?

VERT
31st August 2015, 08:16 PM
I hope we get them.

Bladestorm
31st August 2015, 10:52 PM
I got a VIP invite to the Star Wars toy launch here in Hong Kong (at 10.30 pm on the 3rd, so about the same time as down there)... limited to 300 people (believe that when I see it) at the Tsim Sha Tsui Toys R Us (Harbour City).

Anyone recommend a site showing what the potential toys might be (especially spacecraft)? Whilst I'm a fan I don't normally collect the toylines as I have to save room for my Optimus Primes, so I have no idea what will be on offer/to look out for but I'd like to pick up a few goodies for my brother in NZ.

Last toy launch I went to (Transformers AoE 4) I all but got squashed by the crazies trying to wipe the shelves of stock so I'm hoping with less people allowed to this event it might be a little more organised.

I'm also curious to see if they do the limited run prize draw chrome/gold figures for Star Wars like they do for Transformers. Anyone know?

loophole
1st September 2015, 05:23 PM
Well I went to Big W just before and they had already put some figures out

Bladestorm
2nd September 2015, 06:07 PM
Just as a comparison... (is anyone else going to their local event?) I received my VIP pack today... so first 300 people are "VIP" and they are allowing an additional 400 people (who have to line up tomorrow at Toys R Us at 10 am to vie for tickets).

Here is what my pack has in it and what is happening at our toy launch.
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5805/20892193820_02f53d5561_n.jpg

Be curious to see how similar/different the events are around the planet...

griffin
2nd September 2015, 06:25 PM
Nothing so fancy here... but then again, look at what some Asian TRU stores did for the TF4 midnight launch - we didn't have anything like there here either.

From my photo in the first post, ToysRUs are giving away posters and $10 coupons if you buy certain amounts of stock. Target is noted as having a mystery gift bag with any purchase... but less Target stores are doing this midnight promotion than ToysRUs (and in less states too).

Sinnertwin
2nd September 2015, 06:48 PM
I had a look at the toys today, nothing special.

Starscream77
2nd September 2015, 06:51 PM
I had a look at the toys today, nothing special.

Assuming no Black Series ?

Sinnertwin
2nd September 2015, 07:37 PM

not yet anyway. just a bunch of lightsabers, basic 3 & 3/4 inch figures, x wing/tie and pilots, hero mashers, small vehicles and figure and other assorted junk

VERT
2nd September 2015, 08:21 PM
Did you see how much the X wing and Tie Fighter are?

Lord_Zed
2nd September 2015, 11:47 PM
If only toys weren't so cheap and crappy these days, this might have been exciting.

Sutton
3rd September 2015, 07:15 AM
I collect Star Wars Lego, lucky for me they just get better and better while the hasbro stuff gets worse and worse...

The new Millennium Falcon is beautiful. And I can't wait for a sale to pick up a couple of First Order Transporters...

Megatran
3rd September 2015, 09:14 PM
Popped in to various retail stores after work today. Very ordinary toys & merchandise on shelves already mentioned in this thread by various members. Pretty disappointing for so much advertising hype. Hopefully, they are holding off some big surprises for midnight launch .... but not holding my breathe. I'll be getting a good night sleep.

philby
4th September 2015, 12:54 AM
i just came back from chadstone toys r us in melbourne and they didn't have any of the new lego sets. i missed most of the action figures related to the new movie too. i did see a couple of black series boxes but i don't know what they had. i bought something anyway so i didn't leave empty handed but not sure if it was worth it :p looking at a couple of pics on the official star wars facebook page it was definitely low key compared to what's on there.

Megatran
4th September 2015, 08:39 AM
There are the 6-inch 'collectable' Black Series at TRU for $35.

UltraMarginal
4th September 2015, 11:17 AM
Looking at the TRU email, they are reintroducing Micro machines!!

That's awesome! I don't think I have the space to re-start collecting them but I loved the micro machines star trek ships back in the day. amongst other stuff.

millhouse
4th September 2015, 03:19 PM
Got there 2 minutes late so there were no Last Order Stormtroopers (black series) but I snagged a BS6 Kylo Ren and a 3.75" Captain Phasma.

Zippo
4th September 2015, 06:51 PM
No Black Series 3 3/4 inch yet, so no sales for me
No Micro Machines here in New Zealand (hopefully to come)

Got a good look at all the rest of the figures but no cash spent

valkyrie_76
5th September 2015, 12:06 AM
I looked at the figures and went 'Meh'.

Rather order the SHF Stormtroopers than pay for the Hasbro crap. Im waiting for Phasma and the riot Stormtroopers so I can order them too.

Oh BTW........Let the scalping begin (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-Black-Series-Wave-2-Captain-Phasma-HTF-MIB-/181857300845?hash=item2a578a316d) :eek:

VERT
5th September 2015, 12:23 AM
Well as a life long Die hard Star Wars nut. I had a great time. Spent an insane amount. Met a lot off great people and was a real party happening while waiting. We all had fun shopping and helping everyone find what they wanted. It continued even after we all left the store. Had never met most of the people before and was a fun night. If the opening night is like this its going to be one hell of a party night. 3/4 inch figures. Vehicles. 6inch Black and Lego for all. Could not have asked for more.

Sinnertwin
5th September 2015, 08:42 AM
BBTS has the 6 inch figures up for preorder for those interested

Starscream77
5th September 2015, 08:44 PM
BBTS has the 6 inch figures up for preorder for those interested

Pre ordered but hope to they re stock locally cause the exchange rate will be a killer

Megatran
5th September 2015, 09:32 PM
Pleasantly surprised today to see Kmart stock x-wing (redeco) & tie fighters. $59 & $79, respectively I think.

VERT
6th September 2015, 12:40 AM
They are not redecos. The new versions are different but similar to the old vehicles. X Wing in hand not so good. The Tie is awesome.

Sutton
6th September 2015, 11:58 AM
Launceston was a complete bust for Force Friday - the only new thing out of all the stores was the new Hasbro Tie Fighter at Kmart - that was literally IT out of Kmart, Target, Myer, Toyworld...

Saturday morning everything showed up but it was too late, I already ordered every lego set off shopforme for 20% off...

Bladestorm
7th September 2015, 04:08 PM
I was at Force Friday here... the heads of Hasbro Asia and Toys R Us Asia both attended the event but never bothered to mingle with us - there were 300 people at the VIP event with mocktails, Darth Vader, Imperial guards, storm troopers, etc and loads of prizes if you could speak Cantonese.
We were given a free VIP goodie bag which included a hot wheels Star Wars car, Star Wars notebook, plastic folder, Star Wars lego coaster, R2-D2 keychain and a sticker.
We were taken down to the store and allowed in in lots of 50 at 5 minute intervals. I was in the 3rd wave to have access to the store. The light sabers had all but sold out. The staff couldn't restock the black series or the smaller figures onto the shelves quick enough. I wanted a Captain Phasma and couldn't find her on the pegs. Noticed a shopping trolley full of the same series with 2 guys digging through it and noticed one of the guys had a toys r us shopping bag with a Captain Phasma sticking out to which I commented "wow! where did you find that? It's the only figure I'm after in this range." The guy looked at me sheepishly and said "If I give you this one will you go away?" I then looked back at his shopping bag and realised it was absolutely FULL of Captain Phasma figures, sighed and said "yah". Ironically the head of Toys R Us was right there and did nothing about it but at least I got the one figure I wanted. :)

I ended up spending enough to be given a second goody bag from hasbro (but nowhere near enough to claim the Lego goody bag). Inside the Hasbro goody bag was a black series slave Leia, an At-At driver figure and a Darth Vader voice changer mask.

It was also interesting to note that for the first time Toys R Us Hong Kong was selling Hot Toys figures (and allowing pre-order for Hot Toys figures as well). I have no idea how the prices compare to normal but I anticipate them to be more expensive.

It was a fun night... not as disorganised at the Transformers event... but they didn't have the exclusive goodies that Transformers did... no limited edition figures or gold plated figures as prizes or anything.
I can post photos if people are interested but won't bore everyone otherwise. (or you can go look on my twitter feed (@lisamareec) (https://twitter.com/lisamareec) where I posted live)

Megatran
7th September 2015, 10:11 PM
I gotta say I'm warming to this launch with more items on display shelves. Today I saw a 20-inch Greedo at Target ($39). I'll be grabbing him as soon as there's a Target toy sale.

Sinnertwin
8th September 2015, 09:34 PM
Pre ordered but hope to they re stock locally cause the exchange rate will be a killer

yeah, i hear ya.:( On the plus side, got the lot with Captain Phasma order without waiting for local release and scalpers

Meister
9th September 2015, 11:13 PM
Went in to my local TRU today to check out the new SW stock, about a year ago I picked up some extendable light sabres (Obi and Vadar) for the kids to have some fun with, anyway noticed that they released Luke's light sabre as part of the new merch so thought that would be cool to pick up, but when I extended it I found out that it's actually 10cm shorter then the two I already have... Why?... Seriously why?, I know I may be a bit OCD but what was the point of making the new sabres shorter?, they look like daggers now not swords

Jetfire in the sky
10th September 2015, 11:44 AM
I was at Force Friday here... the heads of Hasbro Asia and Toys R Us Asia both attended the event but never bothered to mingle with us - there were 300 people at the VIP event with mocktails, Darth Vader, Imperial guards, storm troopers, etc and loads of prizes if you could speak Cantonese.
We were given a free VIP goodie bag which included a hot wheels Star Wars car, Star Wars notebook, plastic folder, Star Wars lego coaster, R2-D2 keychain and a sticker.
We were taken down to the store and allowed in in lots of 50 at 5 minute intervals. I was in the 3rd wave to have access to the store. The light sabers had all but sold out. The staff couldn't restock the black series or the smaller figures onto the shelves quick enough. I wanted a Captain Phasma and couldn't find her on the pegs. Noticed a shopping trolley full of the same series with 2 guys digging through it and noticed one of the guys had a toys r us shopping bag with a Captain Phasma sticking out to which I commented "wow! where did you find that? It's the only figure I'm after in this range." The guy looked at me sheepishly and said "If I give you this one will you go away?" I then looked back at his shopping bag and realised it was absolutely FULL of Captain Phasma figures, sighed and said "yah". Ironically the head of Toys R Us was right there and did nothing about it but at least I got the one figure I wanted. :)

I ended up spending enough to be given a second goody bag from hasbro (but nowhere near enough to claim the Lego goody bag). Inside the Hasbro goody bag was a black series slave Leia, an At-At driver figure and a Darth Vader voice changer mask.

It was also interesting to note that for the first time Toys R Us Hong Kong was selling Hot Toys figures (and allowing pre-order for Hot Toys figures as well). I have no idea how the prices compare to normal but I anticipate them to be more expensive.

It was a fun night... not as disorganised at the Transformers event... but they didn't have the exclusive goodies that Transformers did... no limited edition figures or gold plated figures as prizes or anything.
I can post photos if people are interested but won't bore everyone otherwise. (or you can go look on my twitter feed where I posted live)

What a great event!! A bit dodgy with the bloke and the bag of what must be going to be a very hot item. Great freebie bags too :)

XMan
11th September 2015, 06:33 AM
Does anyone know when TRU will restock? Looking forward to getting a few First Order Troopers!

I'd go to Zing but they're $48 there :eek:

Sinnertwin
11th September 2015, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know when TRU will restock? Looking forward to getting a few First Order Troopers!

I'd go to Zing but they're $48 there :eek:

What kind of scalping BS is that?!

Jetfire in the sky
11th September 2015, 07:50 PM

Opportunistic capitalism ;)

XMan
12th September 2015, 08:04 AM

And it's right next door to my local TRU.

Happy ending though, ask an employee at Toys R Us when they'd restock, he went to make a call and came back with two troopers that had been put on hold but never picked up. I took one and gave the other to a younger couple who were also after one.