PDA

View Full Version : Classics 2.0/Universe Comments thread

Pages : [1] 2

STL
17th September 2008, 12:31 AM
As Paulbot, Blackie, Stompy and myself were discussing today, the board seems really bereft of toy discussion so this thread seems like a good idea, like the old Animated comments thread.

I'll kick it off:

I absolutely adore Silverbolt. Having played with a friends last week, I'd been itching and itching to play with my own. I concede that the transformation is seriously excremental, hell I gave it a Transformation score of 14/140 in my DB, but the robot mode and alt mode are absolutely gorgeous.

Powerglide at this point is pretty impressive. I think he fascinates me the most from a technical point of view of the Classics 2.0 Ultras. Excellent transformation and a very solid toy. It surpassed my expectations immensely at first glance.

jacksplatt11
17th September 2008, 01:02 AM
i'm not really a fan of silverbolt, the character never really interested me so neither does the toy, but it does look like a very faithful representation..

powerglide looks pretty sweet, the only thing that turns me off is the jet engine "breasts" in robot mode.. whats other peoples thoughts on that?..

and to anyone who has onslaught, what are peoples thoughts on him? he's the one who i'm most interested in, and will most likely get, but just after a few thoughts..

STL
17th September 2008, 01:07 AM
i'm not really a fan of silverbolt, the character never really interested me so neither does the toy, but it does look like a very faithful representation..

powerglide looks pretty sweet, the only thing that turns me off is the jet engine "breasts" in robot mode.. whats other peoples thoughts on that?..

and to anyone who has onslaught, what are peoples thoughts on him? he's the one who i'm most interested in, and will most likely get, but just after a few thoughts..

I think Onslaught's a very solid toy. However, he disappoints me b/c he has an annoyingly simple transformation that is more fiddly than it is intuitive or technical. I guess I feel let down by Onslaught b/c I had huge expectations for him. The other problem I don't like is his head which other than when it is in a 45 degree arc looks pretty retarded. The neck just seems awfully awkward. However, overall, its still got strong articulation (though not the waist which is what Powerglide surprisingly has) and a very even robot mode.

Stompy
17th September 2008, 01:12 AM
I totally agree on Powerglide. He was my least looked forward to Ultra as the pictures of his bot and alt mode looked really disproportioned. I got him anyway and was surprised at the ingeneous conversion. Also the alt mode is just great. None of the obvious robot arms and legs dangling/kibbling underneath and in hindsight the nose of the craft isn't as comically looking as I expected it to be. His robot mode, while top heavy, is also not too disproportionate as the pictures suggested. Those "boobs" of his aren't too bad the more you look at him. His arms and legs are perhaps a tiny bit small for his torso but considering his legs is the neck and nose of the jet, it's a wise decision by the engineers. Sound and lights are good, and I appreciate the transforming noise during specific points in the conversion. Biggest downer is that in robot mode the wings do not stay on the pegs securely and tends to flop at certain poses.

Silverbolt... Sorry to say I don't share your enthusiasm STL ;). Alt mode... a jet with a folded robot stuck underneath, robot mode a Robot with a folded in two jet backpack. I guess the robot parts and jet parts are just not incorporated together as one figure at all. The jet parts do not incorporate into the robot parts and vice versa. Remove the jet and you can attach anything to the robot. Although he is the most G1 looking out of the group of U2.0 Ultras. Also, it's disapointing that when in robot mode his eyes do not light up when the button is pushed, only during conversion does it light up.

Most solid of the Ultra's is Onslaught in my opinion. Nice alt mode with an excellent paintjob. Robot mode is imposing and large. He means business! Except his little blaster on his right arm is a tad small when compared to his gigantic stature and wall-like riot shield. Articulation ok and the lights and sound are a treat. I like that they made one of the wheels trigger a switch that makes an engine noise when you are rolling him in alt mode. But I was a little dissapointed that the siren sound cannot be sustained. Interestingly, Onslaught is almost identical to Animated Ultra Magnus' conversion (read: 99% the same). I'm sure those who have both figures can attest to.

Galvatron... *Sigh* *tsk* hmmm. I really wish Hasbro made him an Ultra sized figure. His rather involved (but fantastically engineered) conversion meant that he had a lot of panels and hinges and joints galore. Unfortunately at the deluxe size it just can't work. Parts WILL pop off nearly all the time during conversion. Making him a bit of a Legoformer. Even at a Voyager size he could have worked much better. Unfortunately it gets let down by the size of the toy for me. It's a pity as it's an excellent figure.

Soundwarp
17th September 2008, 06:10 AM
I'll second Silverbolt, i had Griff's one and the G1 sitting side by side and it was awesome!

blackie
17th September 2008, 09:24 AM
Galvatron... *Sigh* *tsk* hmmm. I really wish Hasbro made him an Ultra sized figure. His rather involved (but fantastically engineered) conversion meant that he had a lot of panels and hinges and joints galore. Unfortunately at the deluxe size it just can't work. Parts WILL pop off nearly all the time during conversion. Making him a bit of a Legoformer. Even at a Voyager size he could have worked much better. Unfortunately it gets let down by the size of the toy for me. It's a pity as it's an excellent figure.

completly agree stompy. i think i popped of 3 out of 4 limbs when transforming him for the first time :S
still a cool figure, but would love it to be larger, an ultra would be better than a voyager tho :)

kurdt_the_goat
17th September 2008, 11:21 AM
I don't have, and probably wont get Silverbolt, but i don't think it's so amazing that they managed to get a G1 style look out of the robot bolted underneath the plane.

Since it's clear they were aiming for a G1 style over a decent transformation, I think it would have been better if they went all the way.... As it stands now, the wings are upside down and not swept back like the original toy, which is what totally ruins the look of the robot for me. His zig-zag back-wings look like paper cut outs!

Paulbot
17th September 2008, 02:15 PM
I was transforming Galvatron this morning while having my breakfast and it's easier and more enjoyable the second time (when you're not struggling to make it look like the mistransformed toy on the box). Only one leg popped off which is a much better rate of Fail than on the first try. It does have a little automorph thing going on with his heels that's a little annoying to me (seems gratuitous).

griffin
17th September 2008, 02:43 PM
Keep in mind that the toy photo on the packaging/cardback has the thighs sideways. The hexagonal kneecaps should be facing forwards like Gen1/Energon Galvatrons, and is actually pictured in the instructions. (another example of someone at Hasbro not realising they got the transformation wrong before photographing it for the packaging)

Pulse
17th September 2008, 02:44 PM
From what I've got so far:

Onslaught = Very slick! Can't fault him in any way! If you've played with a TFA UM, he TFs pretty much the same way

Galvy = Yes he's a little small, Yes he seems over-engineered but Yes he's also pretty damn cool! :)

Prowl, Streaker & Octane = *big tick*

I'm waiting for a red Powerglide & white Silverbolt and I know I'll be impressed with Powerglide & not-so-impressed by Silverbolt but Eh... I luv me Classics! :D

kup
17th September 2008, 03:28 PM
I have only experienced the Onslaught mould and it seems pretty good particularly for a modern Ultra (Ever since BM, most large toys have generally been crap).

However Silverbolt and Powerglide are huge downers, particularly Powerglide. Silverbolt suffers from a micromaster type transformation which is not fitting of a figure in his size class despite both modes looking rather good. Yes it's very G1 accurate but not up to standards with modern toy designs, particularly at this size scale and the fact that it doesn't need to combine into a gestalt. Dissapointing.

Powerglide, we have discussed what is wrong with this figure plenty of times.

Although I have not experienced powerglide and Silverbolt, it's easy to see from pics that they will not be 'favorites'.

When it comes to Galvatron, although I have experienced the mold, I would need to own it and properly play with it to give a verdict. All that I can say is that the fluro orange bits on his joints in the Hasbro version ruin what would otherwise be an excellent color scheme. If I get this version, I will pull him apart and paint over all the orange bits as they are just awful.

SilverDragon
17th September 2008, 05:53 PM
I'd contribute to this thread if I could actually find any of the Universe toys I want.

jaydisc
18th September 2008, 10:26 PM
I bought the two Animated Leaders and Powerglide and Onslaught last night. I know this is a Universe thread, but bear with me. I opened the Leaders first, and while both were quite simple, they had a nice, solid feeling and I really enjoyed both.

Then, I opened Powerglide. The transformation was clever and unique. As with most Ultras, the stupid electronics kept firing off driving me mad! Anyway, the rotating of the wings makes me quite nervous as I'm quite sure it will not stand the test of time. At first, I was wholly unimpressed by how the wings sat where they did in robot mode, and then immediately after, I realized they clipped in. I really appreciate things clicking in to place with TFs.... it's very satisfying and helps keep things solid. His legs are a bit flimsy and it's tough to do decent poses without him buckling and falling over one way or another.

Like STL, I was possibly setting myself up for disappointment, but I was saving Onslaught for last, expecting him to be my favorite. To be fair, I think most of my complaints refer to the specific quality of the one I got and hopefully not the figure in general. For starters, the shield would not stay on the turret in alt mode. It kept popping up/off. Then I transformed. It was a bit simple. He looks sort of like an ice hockey goalie, but yeah, his robot mode is menacing and screams G1 to me. However, there is this little gray cage the you flip out and then flip one of the wheels behind it, and close the gray cage around it. This stupid little freaking gate(s) would just not stay clicked in to place. Also, when going back to alt mode, it did not have any of the solidity that both Leader and Voyager Bulkhead had.

After opening the four toys, I sat back and reflected and was so surprised by my findings.... The Animated toys appeared to have considerably better manufacturing, albeit at the potential sacrifice of considerably simpler transformations. Now, I'm a Movie-Ironhide-loving,-like-my-sh#t-complex,-kind-of-guy on most days of the week, so this surprised me. However, I've started to appreciate solidity more and more, and to me, none of the Universe 2.0 toys I've played with to date, feel solid in any way.

I've previously played with LCZ's Prowl and Sunstreaker momentarily and I also have a loose Tankor. I enjoy Tankor, but he suffers the obvious triple change pitfalls. And yeah, while parts don't pop off (actually, the comb sometimes does in between the two alt modes), he's just not very solid either.

Stompy
18th September 2008, 10:43 PM
I totally agree with the solid feel of the Animated Leaders and their quality. They are certainly the crowning jewel of the Animated lines. Although I found most of the deluxes to be just as solid as well. When comparing Universe quality with Animated. Animated wins hands down.

You are lucky jaydisc that your Powerglide wings clip on securely. Mine are a little loose. Although I didn't have any of the problems you stated about Onslaught. The grey leg cages stay put for me and the shield is very securely fit on the siren and on the arm. Although I seem to can't convert his arms properly from robot to vehicle mode though. There must be something I'm doing wrong as I have to always force it back in stressing the plastic a little bit on the cockpit of the truck. :/

STL
19th September 2008, 12:26 AM
When comparing Universe quality with Animated. Animated wins hands down.

Blasphemy! Down with Stompy! Down with Jaydisc! Down with all naysayers!

You are lucky jaydisc that your Powerglide wings clip on securely. Mine are a little loose. Although I didn't have any of the problems you stated about Onslaught. The grey leg cages stay put for me and the shield is very securely fit on the siren and on the arm. Although I seem to can't convert his arms properly from robot to vehicle mode though. There must be something I'm doing wrong as I have to always force it back in stressing the plastic a little bit on the cockpit of the truck. :/

My arms have no problems. Looking at it, I turn it on a slightly 45 degree angle when I fold it down so there's no force or abrasion with the sides of the cockpit of the truck.

There are a lot of grooves on Onslaught that you have to much around w/ to get right for it to fit snugly. I kind of enjoy it but then I kind of don't if that makes any sense.

jacksplatt11
19th September 2008, 01:34 AM
ok so i gave in and opened onslaught a day early, couldnt help it..

the APC mode, although a bit small, is awesome, exactly what onslaught would be in a modern representation of his G1 self, the drop down claws and sounds are great gimmicks, and the turret is pretty awesome too, the only thing i would change is to add some up/down movement for the guns themselves, but its still great as is..

the robot mode, although big and imposing as he should be, has its let downs... first off, whats with the legs?? mine just don't want to hold together, nothing clicks together so it always come loose, at the moment i have a couple of see-through elastic bands holding them tight, but poor QC, or design in the first place, has left it a bit broken, i guess you could say... also the head, surely they could have put a ball joint in, or at least have it sitting horizontally, why is it at 45 degrees?? does onslaught have confidence issues and always look down?? bit of a let down.. and also the lack of a gun in robot mode, he has that small underarm blaster but he just feels so empty without a big gun in his hand, what they could've done was made a gun that fit in his hand, then in robot mode it could have formed a gun on the turret, cant have been that hard yet they didn't do it..

anyway apart from those few things, i'm really happy with him, a great representation i feel, and the only real drawback on him appears to be the QC issues with parts not joining together in robot mode, which i can get over after giving it a little fix..

GoktimusPrime
19th September 2008, 09:38 AM
Anyone noticed the fandom reference on this toy? I'm tempted to get the Universe version of Onslaught for its fan tribute (which is also a 2nd degree tribute to Australian Transfandom too). ;)

kup
19th September 2008, 10:22 AM
Anyone noticed the fandom reference on this toy? I'm tempted to get the Universe version of Onslaught for its fan tribute (which is also a 2nd degree tribute to Australian Transfandom too). ;)

It's also present in USA Edition, I believe.

dirge
19th September 2008, 10:28 AM
I like Onslaught, although they messed up the electronics. As good as the gunfire sound it, why does it have to alternate with a useless single-cycle siren? Definitely a case of less is more!

I have complaints about his enginerring. Yes, he's simpler than I want of an ultra, but considering Hasbro feel that ultras need electronics, he's fine. Better than say, Cybertron Jetstorm, who has a transformation put to shame by many basics.

Powerglide does not impress me, so I'll not pick one up. It's not the colours, but the breasts, which I hate. Silverbolt I do want, because of the tribute, although I can tell from what I've seen that he's very simple. I haven't actually played with either, yet.

jaydisc
19th September 2008, 10:33 AM
Without going into the controversy of Powerglide's general colors, I think his head it too big and too red. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Granted his head does form part of the alt mode.

This has been mentioned multiple times:

Basically the 'Transformers USA' Universe release in Japan is more accurate to both the original toy (general colour) and the cartoon (head deco). Tomy kept Hasbro's deco shout-outs to the American fan Monzo, though.

But other than the face paint you mentioned, he's exactly the same, even down to the references to longtime TF fan Monzo.

And as Kup properly reinforces, it's not exclusive to the Universe version.

Pulse
19th September 2008, 12:08 PM
Only a couple of weeks to go 'til we get Red Powerglide & White Silverbolt... :D Yay!!! :D

GoktimusPrime
19th September 2008, 02:06 PM
This has been mentioned multiple times:
Yeah but I'm still having a fanboy fap over it. :D

And did anyone mention Monzo's relationship to Australian Transfandom?

Robzy
19th September 2008, 03:44 PM
Only a couple of weeks to go 'til we get Red Powerglide & White Silverbolt... :D Yay!!! :DQFT... I almost gave in and bought Hasbro's Powerglide today on sale at Kmart :o

TheDirtyDigger
19th September 2008, 06:37 PM
Now that I've acquired these so far...

Octane: It's ok
Sunstreaker: Nice but could be better quality
Prowl: Good but shoulda tried harder on the paint job
Silverbolt: Good for real little kids
Onslaught: My pick of the bunch
Powerglide: I just don't dig tits on a guy
Blaster: Just a repaint
Heavy Load: Why is he even in there?

Overall 6/10 and nowhere near as good as Classics 1.0

Where's the 'meh' emoticon?

blackie
20th September 2008, 10:06 PM
ok so after getting most of the toys and giving them a good once over im ready to make popper comments:

Sunstreaker:
Really nice figure. Good to play with but also has a good display quality. only problem with mine is the right arm keeps coming off. otherwise a great figure. my pick of the deluxes for sure.

Prowl:
Got a good paintjob on mine(pure luck i might add :P) and am very happy with it. almost as cool as sunstreaker, but not quite, mainly because the doors annoy me so much. apart from that a good toy as well.

Galvatron
Looks awesome, apart from the random bits of orange, and the weird gray, would have picked a better colour personally. too fiddly to transform, but poses and looks great.

Tankor:
Really expected more and didn't get it. Dodgy transformation in my view, and really doesn't look that good in any mode. most likely my most unloved of the lot.

now for my ultras:

Powerglide:
the orange man cans dont do if for me tbqh. not a great toy either. the transformation is boring and silly, but then again im sure i didn't do it exactly right cause mine didn't come with instructions for some odd reason. very meh

Onslaught:
Absolutely love him. He looks awesome, works so well. Transforming is fun and easy, and looks good in both modes, although the robot mode looks better. My fav universe so far :D

STL
21st September 2008, 11:33 PM
Interestingly, Onslaught is almost identical to Animated Ultra Magnus' conversion (read: 99% the same). I'm sure those who have both figures can attest to.

I totally disagree. Magnus' arms and legs both have different folds and transformations. I have to say that Magnus is one helluva an awesome toy in comparison to Onslaught. Plus the arms and the back shoulder both work in the transformation and nor is it firm. I reckon the two are different enough and comparing joe average Onslaught to the quality of Magnus is grossly unfair.

(Yes, I love Magnus, go deal with it :p)

Stompy
22nd September 2008, 01:12 AM
My 1% margin is VERY wide. :D

Hehe. At least you agree with the quality of Magnus.

Eventhough a lot of these larger sized figures have simple transformations, at least they are very graceful and elegant. With the exception of Silverbolt. BOOO!

STL
22nd September 2008, 02:13 PM
With the exception of Silverbolt. BOOO!

You were doing so well up till that point *WHACK*

darockk
26th September 2008, 10:43 PM
i just picked up streaker, great figure, good transformation without being too difficult. awesome poseablity. The Alt mode looks a little strange though, i think the wheels are too small in scale with the chassis?

i was just wondering what the 4 holes on the roof are for?

Also i noticed 2 of these above the autobot logo where on the packaging pictures these holes are covred by some sort of black plate.

Am i missing this part on mine?

Soundwarp
27th September 2008, 08:38 AM
Only a couple of weeks to go 'til we get Red Powerglide & White Silverbolt... :D Yay!!! :D

Hmm i might end up with a white Silverbolt if i can find one at a reasonable price....

STL
27th September 2008, 10:01 AM
i was just wondering what the 4 holes on the roof are for?

Also i noticed 2 of these above the autobot logo where on the packaging pictures these holes are covred by some sort of black plate.

Am i missing this part on mine?

I honestly have no idea. I originally thought that they were for the jetpack mode or something but you really only need two for it to clip into place. I'm not sure why there is four at all unless they're thinking down the line of another mold.

Gutsman Heavy
27th September 2008, 12:29 PM
The extra holes are for Sideswipe, so he can mount the backpack.

Pulse
27th September 2008, 12:42 PM
You have to give huge props to the Hastak designers for planning 2 distinctively different figures from the one mould from the very beginning! :)

That Sunstreaker/Sideswipe mould is just about perfect! (& we may even get a 3rd completely different figure from the same mould at Botcon... (http://www.angelfire.com/mech/jinsaotome/JinsDangerousToys/PunchCounterpunch.html) ;))

Paulbot
27th September 2008, 11:16 PM
Extra holes might be just the thing for some flashing lights to be added... But maybe I'm just being paranoid... ;)

kurdt_the_goat
27th September 2008, 11:26 PM
This is more like a first impression, as i've only just unboxed and had a quick play with my first Universe (Henkei in this case) toys today. Personally, i feel both Sunstreaker and Prowl's robot modes are far better than their BT/ALT incarnations, thus making them the definitive versions for me! I'm anxiously awaiting the next few deluxes now!

kup
28th September 2008, 07:54 PM
Maybe the roof holes are like Paulbot said, for flashing lights.

I would be happy if they do a Red Alert repaint!

STL
28th September 2008, 10:41 PM
The extra holes are for Sideswipe, so he can mount the backpack.

That's not right actually. Having played with my Sideswipe, he uses the exact same pegs that Sunstreaker did.

Gutsman Heavy
29th September 2008, 12:46 AM
That's not right actually. Having played with my Sideswipe, he uses the exact same pegs that Sunstreaker did.

I retract my statment, I was thinking of the other ones :)

Come on Red Alert!

Pulse
29th September 2008, 12:53 AM
I retrack my statment, I was thinking of the other ones :)

Come ooon red Alert!

If we had a choice between Punch/Counterpunch & Red Alert, I'd go for the spy anyday of the week... :)

Gutsman Heavy
29th September 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm just siding with the realistic option!

kup
29th September 2008, 02:06 PM
That mold is screaming for a Punch/Counterpunch repaint but everything within the Astral plane is pointing that it will end up being a Botcon/Club exclusive.

The more realistic retail repaint would be Red Altert.

dirge
29th September 2008, 07:53 PM
The mould should be repainted into... Time Warrior!

STL
29th September 2008, 10:51 PM
Pics of Sideswipe:

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6312/dscf4088li7.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/6236/dscf4089kx2.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/356/dscf4090xp9.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/327/dscf4093gp7.jpg

My thoughts are that he's a very nice redeco. I think he looks surprisingly better than in the pictures. Good ol' natural light piping works absolute wonders. I wasn't a 100% with the head sculpt since my ideal Sideswipe has always been the one I've seen on Iacon City. That aside, the half colouring of the weapons is very good to give us a "shoulder cannon".

I've noticed now Jaydisc's shoulder problems. My Sideswipe's shoulders are not the greatest and lower themselves easily. Definitely a point of wear and tear over the years. I suspect that may give me even more reason to triple up. :o

On closer inspection, the reds do appear to differ. Be the judge for yourself. The car deco is very nice with the black lines giving it a nice sleek feel. Perhaps the different shade of red detracts from it but the black lines go a long way to blurring that.

Of the two brothers, Sunstreaker is definitely the stronger in robot mode. I always felt in my childhood that the G1 Sideswipe toy was superior in robot mode. Looks like Classics 2.0 reverses that. The car mode definitely suits Sideswipe more. Having them next to each other in car mode, it does look a bit annoyingly similar.

And almost forgot, Sideswipe's jetpack actually is silver coloured which is a very nice touch.

Requested by Paulbot:
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/5879/dscf4091ck7.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/8646/dscf4092uz2.jpg

http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2712/dscf4094sm6.jpg

I think the pictures just show how strong the Sunstreaker version of this is. He works in both forms wonderfully whereas Sideswipe leaves a lot to be desired.

Stompy
29th September 2008, 11:09 PM
They look great together! Nice pics STL. $30 though... Hmmm. I think the colour makes a huge difference for the roof. The yellow helps soften the size of the roof, and doesn't contrast with the grey legs and arms too much. whereas Sideswipes darker red contrasts with the grey a lot, exagerating the slim limbs.

PS. Are those tissue boxes at the back? :p

Pulse
29th September 2008, 11:48 PM
Sideswipe, you know you wanna come home to 'ol Pulsey... :D

kup
30th September 2008, 12:08 AM
I very much prefer that canon over Henkei's but the color shade differences bothers me a lot on the Universe.

Paulbot
30th September 2008, 08:59 AM
OMG Sideswipe looks great!

And thanks for the pics of Sideswipe in Sunstreaker mode. Ozformers was the first place for Sunstreaker as Sideswipe photos (from the toy fair) so I figured we should be the first(?) for the other way around too. :D

i_amtrunks
30th September 2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the pics STL, Sidestreaker and Sunswipe look awesome, it's a clever mold that is screaming for a Counterpunch and a Red Alert repaint.

Even a G2 Sideswipe would look lovely in that mold.

Pulse
7th October 2008, 03:32 PM
I felt I had to comment on the new Classics figures I acquired both on friday & today :). Although I'm pretty sure my opinion on these new moulds is much the same as what's already been said, I felt I had to give you guys a heads-up on atleast one mould you guys may not have seen in the flesh yet :).

# Red Powerglide: The colour really brings him to life, but the arms/shoulders are a bit iffy. 8/10

# White Silverbolt: Compared to Powerglide/Onslaught, his transformation is waaaaay too simple but the white picks him up overall. 6/10

# Sideswipe: Luv him! Pure Luv! 9/10

# Bluestreak: Just plain bee-you-tee-full! His colours are outstanding! 10/10

# Ironhide:
Alt-mode - Compared to how well incorporated Sideswipe's/Bluestreak's transformation-lines' are in their alt-mode, Ironhide's transformation/panel lines are a complete mess. Both on his side & his roof, his alt-mode looks terrible... :(

Bot-mode = A thousand-times better than his Alt-mode. This is his better mode by-far! Plain & simple, it's all about the bot-mode! :)

IMHO, this particular vehicle mould is terrible... :( Henkei can't save this vehicle-mode, Ratchet can't save this vehicle mode - it's just a total mess... :(

Ironhide = Vehicle-mode 0/10, Bot-mode 7/10

Overall 7/10. IMO, Leave him in bot-mode all the time - It's his best mode by a mile. :)

kup
7th October 2008, 03:59 PM
I am also not expecting much with Ironhide and Ratchet's vehicle mode. The flaw is with the design not the paint job. Henkei may help to hide the lines a little more but its impossible to make them dissapear.

I have low expectations for both versions of this mold so that I won't be overly dissapointed once they arrive.

TheDirtyDigger
8th October 2008, 12:41 PM
Opened Acid Storm. Legs are a bit loose in the socket. The green looks great but the blue doesn't contrast well with it. Should have been all green.

k.wong23
10th October 2008, 02:59 PM
Onslaught's shield loose to fit onto his arm anyone?

jaydisc
10th October 2008, 03:06 PM
There's an extra click for the back hole. Are you talking more about the pin? I've had two Onslaughts. One's shield sucked, one was better. Also, one mold was seemingly better at holding either in than the others, so discrepancies galore.

iceburn
10th October 2008, 03:06 PM
Opened Acid Storm. Legs are a bit loose in the socket. The green looks great but the blue doesn't contrast well with it. Should have been all green.

well, you can ask albie to paint it all green *hehe*

k.wong23
10th October 2008, 03:14 PM
There's an extra click for the back hole. Are you talking more about the pin? I've had two Onslaughts. One's shield sucked, one was better. Also, one mold was seemingly better at holding either in than the others, so discrepancies galore.

Thanks I see what you mean, doesn't help that much but at least its more stable won't fall with a knock of my desk :d

FFN
10th October 2008, 03:45 PM
You need to get the small peg on the shield into the hole on his wrist, and push the flip-out peg on his arm though the rectangular hole in the shield. Holds very well on my Onslaught.

TheDirtyDigger
10th October 2008, 08:06 PM
well, you can ask albie to paint it all green *hehe*

Actually this one is going to be a nice lavender colour.

GoktimusPrime
12th October 2008, 10:21 AM
Cliffjumper and Hound look decent and Inferno looks really nice!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jam_jam.jpg
(I still wish he had a ladder though)

What the hell's up with Thundercracker?! Are they trying to emulate his horrific Action Master colours?? (all it needs is a splash of pink)

Black Megatron... looks interesting, but I have no interest in picking up a recoloured Leader Class just for the sake of it. Seems like a variant just for its own sake... maybe if they called it "Megaplex"... meh, I still wouldn't get it. :p

Cheetor: this toy looks like fail in both modes... not enthused.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jam_pain.jpg

Cyclonus: MY EYES!!
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jam_shoulders.jpg
...hopefully Henkei will make a gooder version. :/

Starscream: Yeah... it's nice, but I don't think it's nice enough to make me want to rush out and replace my Classics with it. Still, I'd recommend it to anyone who doesn't have the mould. Why are the sides of the head white? (a half-@$$ homage to Pretender & Action Master Starscream??)

Vector Prime: He's the colour of poo! Arise, Scattor Prime! :p

dirge
12th October 2008, 10:40 AM
I really don't see the point of Cheetor. It doesn't appear to be making use of _better_ technology, nor improving on show accuracy.

For the sake of comparison... while there's lot of angst about the end result re Cyclonus, it's pretty obvious that he'll be far more poseable than the G1 version. You can question the end result, but not the purpose.

From the pics I've seen, Dinobot falls into a similar category as Cheetor. Yes, the original toy has some annoying flaws, but the new one looks to be just as flawed.

liegeprime
12th October 2008, 10:43 AM
erm Ive seen the photshopped pics of Cyclonus, Hound, Inferno but got any pics/link of Thundercracker, and Hotshot? or are they still using the same molds for these two? Just a variance in color scheme, still would like to see pics.

GoktimusPrime
12th October 2008, 11:03 AM
See here (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-official-images-of-tf-animated-and-universe-20/14159/) (no Hot Shot though)

Yeah... I don't get the point of Universe Cheetor and Dinobot... in many ways they look inferior to the original toys from 1996! :/

liegeprime
12th October 2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks.

Cheetor, meh, now they use the shuriken weapon since they thought it was cool with the animated prowl ei? not with this figure though. I prefer my Universe 1.0 Cheetor - nightslash was it called (same mold as Catscan) Thundercracker, eww, I thought it was dirge with a bad color day. Cliffjumper, yes! Hound ok - is mistransformed at the hips? - looks kinda bare or missing a lot of bulk there. - loving ravage. Cyclonus - getting for the TM partner, meh on colors looks plump. Black Megsy - no, dont need a SW repainted one. Inferno - yes, matches the toy ( from other pics) quite well so that's a blessing. Starscream - they shouldve done it like this in the first place, now they do it,sigh, sigh , sigh. Vector Prime as Gok said Turd Prime, nope, thanks.

Where's Dinobot? I dont have the original or reissue (10th anniv) but I want to see it first before I may even think of getting one.

kup
12th October 2008, 11:53 AM
The only Universe release in this list that I like is Inferno. I will get Act Cliffjumper as a collectible and because its cheap but not really excited.

The rest suck

The sad thing is that some molds are very good such as Cyclonus and Hound but they have been ruined by the paint jobs. Enough has already been said about Cyclonus but why did they have to paint Hound in such a bright green? He looks as if he is from Animated.

I hope for a Henkei release of these two figures.

Edit: Some good news for Hound:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/the-next-two-transformers-henkei-releases-are-hound-and-cheetor-165989/

We will be getting a Henkei release and strangely enough Henkei will also have a Cheetas but its impossible to rescue such a bad mold.

GoktimusPrime
12th October 2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, I'll stick to my original BW Cheetor thanks. :p

liege: Dinobot's not pictured in that link. But from what I saw he's like Cheetor - looks like fail. :/ I'd recommend that you go find a version of the original Dinobot mould instead - as much as the original has problems, the Universe version isn't really improving on it so what's the point? I'd personally recommend getting the Telemocha Japanese reissue of Dinobot, but any version of the original Dinobot toy would be better than the Universe one IMO. Ditto Cheetor.

Why would anyone get these Universe BW TFs? :/

kup
12th October 2008, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I'll stick to my original BW Cheetor thanks. :p

liege: Dinobot's not pictured in that link. But from what I saw he's like Cheetor - looks like fail. :/ I'd recommend that you go find a version of the original Dinobot mould instead - as much as the original has problems, the Universe version isn't really improving on it so what's the point? I'd personally recommend getting the Telemocha Japanese reissue of Dinobot, but any version of the original Dinobot toy would be better than the Universe one IMO. Ditto Cheetor.

Dinobot will soon be Henkei if the news on Henkei Cheetas is true. Its possible that a decent paint job may improve things a bit but the mold is still inferior to the original.

These new BW figures reek of Beast Machines and Armada.

MV75
12th October 2008, 12:43 PM
The only reason to get henkei hound is if they chrome ravages missles. The vehicle is a bad design (looks like carp).

And I highly disagree that the new starscream "is what they should have done in the first place". Just take another look at classics screamer:

http://www.tfu.info/2006/Decepticon/ClassicsStarscream/starscream.htm

Now look at boring plain old new version. Looks too cheap to sell in a 33cent store comes to mind.

jaydisc
12th October 2008, 01:02 PM
Why do we have this thread when we have these threads:

Classics 2.0/Universe Comments thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2158)
High resolution images of upcoming 25th Anniv/Animated figures (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2184)
Universe 2.0 Cyclonus Pics (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2286)

MV75
12th October 2008, 01:04 PM

Classics 2.0/Universe Comments thread (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2158)
High resolution images of upcoming 25th Anniv/Animated figures (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2184)
Universe 2.0 Cyclonus Pics (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2286)

Excellent point. This thread should have been for in hand toy impressions.

Pulse
12th October 2008, 01:10 PM

Too much Classics discussion is never enough! :D

But on this topic,
both Cheetor & Dinobot = *shakes head*
Hotshot = I don't think so
Hound/Cyclonus/Inferno/Smokescreen = sure the final paintjob ain't that great but - I'lll still pick 'em up :)

roller
12th October 2008, 01:30 PM
Maybe Cheetor is in his new post Beast Machine /Universe battles Prime body?

Maybe the matrix o leadership screwed with his body:p

GoktimusPrime
12th October 2008, 03:37 PM
For the record I never started this as an independent thread - this was originally a reply to one of the Universe 2.0 threads but board staff felt it merited being an independent thread so it was separated and placed here.

dirge
12th October 2008, 03:57 PM

Classics 2.0/Universe Comments thread

Because I sniffed around and couldn't find the thread I wanted to move the broader discussion of Universe in the Cyclonus thread to. You found it for me. I've merged the thread int :)

FFN
12th October 2008, 08:05 PM
I think Dinobot looks alright. The velociraptor mode is much better than the original's, and his robot mode actually looks like the CGI model now in terms of proportion, which is some achievement given the CG model never really transformed from one mode to the next (sort of switched models as parts flew apart).

I'd wait for him to actually be transformed properly before pronouncing it dead on arrival and demanding blood revenge on Hasbro or something.

dirge
12th October 2008, 09:38 PM
I think Dinobot looks alright.

I'd wait for him to actually be transformed properly before pronouncing it dead on arrival and demanding blood revenge on Hasbro or something.

Nah, demand blood now. Give them time to get it prepared :D

See, I don't care either way. I'm more than happy to just pass it over. My point is I don't see why they've revisited him - based on the pictures I've seen it doesn't really look like an improvement over the recent reissues.

kup
12th October 2008, 11:32 PM
Nah, demand blood now. Give them time to get it prepared :D

See, I don't care either way. I'm more than happy to just pass it over. My point is I don't see why they've revisited him - based on the pictures I've seen it doesn't really look like an improvement over the recent reissues.

These new molds scream Beast Machines. Its very possible that in a misguided attempt at being part of the 25th Anniversary spirit that Hasbro wanted a designer from the Beast Era to do the new molds and for some reason they got the same dude who did the Beast Machines Maximals.

Although the alt mode of these new molds is much more focused than Beast Machines, the simplified and fugly design style is very much BM Maximals.

STL
12th October 2008, 11:56 PM

I'm with Dirge here. I think the majority of BW figures stand up very well to the test of time and I think the "reinterpretations" actually aren't that necessary or much of an improvement. To me, Cheetor and Dinobot both appear to be just simply reinterpretations; not advancements in accuracy or improvements. And given the recent re-issues as Dirge points out, I don't understand it.

I know I'm a broken record on this but the two toys from BWs in desperate need of remedy are Blackarachnia and Rhinox. I mean, I'm all happy for them to give us new versions but I'm actually very satisfied with the originals and I'd stick to those ahead of these b/c there's a more uniform feel when I look at the original toys whereas the style of these new ones don't seem to fit as well. Maybe Dinobot but definitely not Cheetor. We'll just have to wait and see.

kup
13th October 2008, 12:28 AM
I'm with Dirge here. I think the majority of BW figures stand up very well to the test of time and I think the "reinterpretations" actually aren't that necessary or much of an improvement. To me, Cheetor and Dinobot both appear to be just simply reinterpretations; not advancements in accuracy or improvements. And given the recent re-issues as Dirge points out, I don't understand it.

I know I'm a broken record on this but the two toys from BWs in desperate need of remedy are Blackarachnia and Rhinox. I mean, I'm all happy for them to give us new versions but I'm actually very satisfied with the originals and I'd stick to those ahead of these b/c there's a more uniform feel when I look at the original toys whereas the style of these new ones don't seem to fit as well. Maybe Dinobot but definitely not Cheetor. We'll just have to wait and see.

After what they did with Cheetor and Dinobot, I am very much afraid of what they would do with Rhinox or BA.

STL
13th October 2008, 12:33 AM
After what they did with Cheetor and Dinobot, I am very much afraid of what they would do with Rhinox or BA.

Well, I don't think they could screw up BA any more than a repainted Tarantulas. That's a horrific toy no matter how Takara repainted hte Tarantulas mold. I got it b/c it felt obligatory but that mold just plain sucks with BA.

Rhinox i can see them getting the proportions wrong on. It's very sad actually as my best Rhinox is that statue I acquired last year. A pity for one of my favourite BW characters. Has a Robot Hero even been announced for him?

dirge
13th October 2008, 01:15 AM
I'm actually very happy with the original Rhinox, and not unhappy with Takara's reissue - but I do agree that the Tarantulas/BA mould could be improved apon.

MV75
13th October 2008, 10:23 AM
Use this mould then?

http://www.tfu.info/2000/Maximal/Blackarachnia/blackarachnia.htm

But I don't know how far that will go with animated ba being out as well.

i_amtrunks
13th October 2008, 10:29 AM
Well, I don't think they could screw up BA any more than a repainted Tarantulas. That's a horrific toy no matter how Takara repainted hte Tarantulas mold. I got it b/c it felt obligatory but that mold just plain sucks with BA.

I could see them just repainting the Animated BA in a more BW style scheme...

Paulbot
13th October 2008, 03:57 PM
I could see them just repainting the Animated BA in a more BW style scheme...

I'd buy Animated Swoop repainted as Terrorsaur if they did started down that path.

kup
13th October 2008, 04:15 PM
Animated Blackarachnia repainted as the BW character may work only if they do it in the Transmetal II colors. It would suck with the origina colors.

Swoop as Terrorsaur? I am not sure..

i_amtrunks
13th October 2008, 04:36 PM
A bit of retooling could see Animated Snarl become Rhinox... colour scheme would be the interesting part of that repaint.

iceburn
13th October 2008, 04:38 PM
oh no!! stop giving Hasbro more ideas... repaints will start coming!

Paulbot
13th October 2008, 05:22 PM
Swoop as Terrorsaur? I am not sure..

The two have similar robot modes.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/2937563794_b32c1b9d86.jpg?v=0

If I can do this in 10 minutes a proper Hasbro designer could do it properly. Or one of our talented repainters.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/2936711425_41fd7da019.jpg?v=0

SilverDragon
13th October 2008, 05:41 PM
Terrorswoopasaur looks cool, though I'd prefer a new mold. Or maybe Cybertron Brimstone, seeing how Cybertron repaints are all the rage today.

kup
13th October 2008, 05:53 PM
The two have similar robot modes.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3137/2937563794_b32c1b9d86.jpg?v=0

If I can do this in 10 minutes a proper Hasbro designer could do it properly. Or one of our talented repainters.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3039/2936711425_41fd7da019.jpg?v=0

I see, yeah its not a bad idea even though the Beast mode would look strange as Terrorsaur as Swoop's is robotic. Also Terrorsaur transformation scheme is 'backwards' when compared to the traditional Swoop transformation which Animated has (Instead of a beak as his chest plate its the butt).

If we never get a new mold Terrorsaur, I would not be opposed to giving this a go if executed properly.

Pulse
13th October 2008, 07:38 PM
Hmmmm, All this talk of Animated figures being repainted/re-decoed into BW Characters has got me a-wondering...

Is there any inkling on whether next year's Botcon Figs will be Classics or Animated based? the possibilities are endless... :)

kup
13th October 2008, 08:26 PM
Hmmmm, All this talk of Animated figures being repainted/re-decoed into BW Characters has got me a-wondering...

Is there any inkling on whether next year's Botcon Figs will be Classics or Animated based? the possibilities are endless... :)

I think the Botcon figures will be repainted Universe Classics molds. That's my guess.

Come on Punch/Counterpunch!

Golden Phoenix
13th October 2008, 11:49 PM

They could just do both.
Oh and don't forget about the Movie toys.

Thanatos
14th October 2008, 12:20 AM
Terrorsaur could totally work. Found this on TFW2005.

http://i35.tinypic.com/14e1n37.jpg

Pulse
14th October 2008, 12:24 AM
Man, that is sweet! :)

Sure the Swoop mould/transformation isn't totally faithful to Terrorsaur but that looks awesome! :)

jacksplatt11
14th October 2008, 12:29 AM
Pretty darn similar, especially with the red paint work done...

dirge
14th October 2008, 07:28 AM
Oh and don't forget about the Movie toys.

Unlikely, because of licensing issues & costs associated with that.

GoktimusPrime
14th October 2008, 11:22 AM
The advantage of Animated not using sculpted insignias (other than Leader Class) is that you can easily change faction symbols - so Terrorsaur could easily have a Decepticon insignia smacked on him. Unless they get slack like they did with Voyager Prime and not put any insignia on him at all... (-_-) (if so I would make a Voodoo doll of Archer and stick a pin in its crotch :p)

kup
14th October 2008, 12:27 PM
The advantage of Animated not using sculpted insignias (other than Leader Class) is that you can easily change faction symbols - so Terrorsaur could easily have a Decepticon insignia smacked on him. Unless they get slack like they did with Voyager Prime and not put any insignia on him at all... (-_-) (if so I would make a Voodoo doll of Archer and stick a pin in its crotch :p)

You mean Predacon insignia, right? :)

Paulbot
14th October 2008, 01:46 PM
Terrorsaur could totally work. Found this on TFW2005.

http://i35.tinypic.com/14e1n37.jpg

So that person clearly had more time than I did to create their digibash... but you can see we were thinking along the same lines. :) Swoop screamed Terrorsaur repaint from the first time I played with him.

BotCon 09 exclusives: Megatron (repaint of Grimlock), Terrorsaur (repaint of Swoop), Rhinox (repaint/mold of Snarl), Blackarachnia (repaint of Blackarachnia), Energon-lock Dinobot (repaint of Universe 2.0 Dinobot), Energon-lock Cheetor (repaint of Universe 2.0 Cheetor). Bring it on! :D

amon
14th October 2008, 03:11 PM
got a Inferno review from TFCLUB.com

http://www.tfclub.com/art/20081013192211_9957.html

I still find him too simple comparing to other classic 2.0 toys

sifun
14th October 2008, 04:09 PM
hot shot looks pretty much exactly the same as the armada one.
Also no minicon or starsaber or megacannon either...

pretty mehh

kup
14th October 2008, 07:51 PM
Henkei Sunstreaker and Prowl:

http://www.geocities.com/wow_frostwolf/tf3/prowlsun.jpg

Henkei Sunstreaker: The Chrome is absolute love and the painted parts on Henkei Sunstreaker blend in a hell of a lot better than Universe even if not perfect. The lemon yellow also helps in the feel of the car to look more realistic a as well as more G1 accurate. I am blown away at how much of a difference the chrome and change of color from Fluro yellow to lemon yellow has made on this Henkei. This figure just feels really good!

Henkei Prowl: He is the weaker figure in this duo but still miles ahead of Universe Prowl. The doors are not sticky and have proper paint applications although the front side panels have minor QC issues in the white paint edges (You have too look carefully to see it). The side panels are also feel much more fragile than the rest of the figure but this appears to be due to the choice of clear plastic rather than plastic quality. The chrome applications are perfect on this figure and its amazing how much the silver missiles add to the figure which Universe neglected even to paint gray. The chromed weapon also adds to an awesome look. The only real flaw with Prowl's paint apps is the chest (front of car) panels. Because they are white plastic painted black, the edges happen to be white and in car mode (and robot chest mode) it shows ugly white lines on the edges. This flaw was also present with BTA Alert and is an issue that neither Takara nor Hasbro have ever been able to get right in similar toys. That is a tiny issue and aside from that the figure is great and certainly well above the Universe release.

Mold wise, Sunstreaker is great while Prowl comes second due to his apparent fragility and non ball jointed head which only allows it to look from side to side not up or down.

Honestly, the Universe figures don't compare to their Henkei counterparts. I am glad I waited and got these instead!

dirge
14th October 2008, 08:28 PM
I think you mean Cadmium yellow, rather than lemon yellow. The classics one is actually more of a lemon yellow. But you're right - this shade looks better and is a lot more faithful.

I'm not sold on the chrome on Prowl's spoiler, but I'll take with chromed shoulder cannons. It's not like G1 Prowl had a white spoiler, anyway!

Pulse
20th October 2008, 04:01 PM
I remember people were discussing possible Botcon figures for '09 & Red Alert seemed to be brought up fairly often. Well, I happened to stumble across Ethir's effort on Sector70 (scroll down to 2nd set of pics) (http://www.sector70.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=852) & I'd say he's done one heck of a job... :)

Paulbot
20th October 2008, 04:45 PM
I remember people were discussing possible Botcon figures for '09 & Red Alert seemed to be brought up fairly often. Well, I happened to stumble across Ethir's effort on Sector70 (scroll down to 2nd set of pics) (http://www.sector70.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=852) & I'd say he's done one heck of a job... :)

That's kind of how I imagined it (except for the Red Cross) but given that we got Prowl>Bluestreak>Smokescreen in regular Universe releases, I would think that Sunstreaker>Sideswipe>RedAlert should be likely too without venturing to BotCon.

SilverDragon
21st October 2008, 09:45 PM
I finally managed to get some Universe toys this week: Legends Hound and Tankor Octane.

Hound is all kinds of awesome, while Octane is a bit messy and shows why Triple Changers should all be Voyagers like Blitzwing (not to say he sucks, just that Triple Changers should be at bigger size classes).

In regard to Octane's guns in truck mode, I prefer to put them on the sides of the cab so that they are smokestacks (now, to paint him red and blue and call him Optimus Prime...), rather than what the instructions say and put them on the tank. They look more effective on the cab.

Well, I appreciate them since I can't buy the originals online myself, so these are the next best thing.

STL
21st October 2008, 11:42 PM
I finally managed to get some Universe toys this week: Legends Hound and Tankor Octane.

Hound is all kinds of awesome, while Octane is a bit messy and shows why Triple Changers should all be Voyagers like Blitzwing (not to say he sucks, just that Triple Changers should be at bigger size classes).

In regard to Octane's guns in truck mode, I prefer to put them on the sides of the cab so that they are smokestacks (now, to paint him red and blue and call him Optimus Prime...), rather than what the instructions say and put them on the tank. They look more effective on the cab.

That's a brilliant idea and it definitely does look very nice. I kind of liked the guns on the back b/c it covers the obvious fists but it looks equally nice as smokestacks. Hrm... gives me a reason to grab a few extras... :)

kup
22nd October 2008, 08:14 PM
USA Edition Ultras

http://www.geocities.com/wow_frostwolf/tf3/ultras.jpg

Personal Comments and Observations:

Silverbolt:

He is an excellent looking concord like plane with an attractive robot mode which is clearly intended to be much more accurate to his cartoon/comic character model. However as attractive as both modes are, he has little more than the engineering complexity of a Micromaster; the whole plane is a folded back pack which the robot litely folds underneath in plane mode. For an Ultra class toy this is very disappointing and his transformation is unsatisfying. Out of this trio Silvebolt has the simplest design and it must have cost Hasbro next to nothing when it comes to Research and Development as he is just a blown up Micromaster with lights and sounds.

When it comes to the lights and sounds, they are not bad and relevant. Just generic gun fire and the multicolored lights are fairly nice. Aside from the simplicity of the design, my biggest issue with this toy is that his neck has been molded to slightly look down instead of looking forward and that can be a little distracting when it comes to posing him - silly decision.

Overall a dissatisfying toy given his basic design but an excellent character tribute to the Aerialbot leader. I would only recommend this toy for the character tribute or if you find on sale as he is not worth his retail price.

Powerglide:

We have discussed this guy to death and my opinion has not changed that much but there are a few things worth mentioning.

His transformation is not bad and somewhat satisfying, specially when compared to Silverbolt. However while Transforming its very easy to trigger his sounds but they are brief and much more tolerable than other 'trigger happy' toys such as Movie Leader Brawl. The Sounds themselves are generic gun fire but while transforming a G1 Transformation sound is triggered which is nice.

The plane mode looks decent if not spectacular. For some reason I thought that it was going to have this giant body with little wings but the proportions are much better than expected. The wings are long enough making the plane seem capable of taking off unlike Movie Starscream which was a tank with little wings.

This USA Edition makes tribute to G1 Powerglide a lot more obvious but the mold itself is an obstacle to making the tribute satisfying. He feels more like some gestalt given his disjointed look than the original character.

Sadly, Powerglide is the sort of toy that you can tell right away that you won't really like even by looking at early prototype/promo pics. However the orange 'breasts' are less bright in person than in photos but still distracting and annoying.

The tribute to the character is lacking but present and his engineering is decent enough if not great so it really is a matter of taste and how much emphasis you place on a worthwhile character tribute when it comes to this toy. Overall better than I expected but still disappointing.

Onslaught:

This figure has a satisfying transformation and engineering for an Ultra and the tribute is spot on even if the alt mode is now a SWAT armored riot control vehicle rather than a flat bed truck. I am very happy with this toy but it has some flaws such as the gaps in his knee joints which are somewhat distracting and some fluro orange accents such as his electronics trigger button which look out of place. Aside from that its very well done.

The Alt mode is a very aggressive looking SWAT vehicle with a massive double turret canon on top which is the only real tribute to Onslaught's G1 alt mode but it still makes it very clear as to who this vehicle is meant to be. I originally had issues with Onslaught being a SWAT vehicle as it felt out of place given his G1 alt mode; however as time has passed I have grown used to the idea and although it still bothers me somewhat, I can live with it.

The lights and sounds on this toy are excellent. The Machine gun fire is great and the police siren has been greatly improved over the Universe version (more on that later). Overall Onslaught is the more satisfying figure of the trio with a well done G1 tribute and satisfying (if still a bit simple) engineering and transformation sequence given his price/size scale.

Differences Between Universe and USA Editions:

Please note that I had very little contact with the Hasbro Universe versions of these Ultras and my perceptions may not be accurate. The Universe Ultra which I had the most experience with is Onslaught.

Silverbolt: The biggest change here is the color. The Japanese version is a nice milky white rather than Hasbro Silver (dull gray) which changes the personality of the figure somewhat. The Hasbro version makes it seem like a very gloomy (sad) character while Takara's release is more cheerful and feels more in line with Silverbolt's characterisation as well as more G1 accurate. The White also makes the other colors stand out more and makes the color scheme seem more diverse.

Powerglide: He is now a bright red with gray accents rather than mostly gray with small red accents like the Hasbro version. The character ribute with the Japanese version is stronger but my biggest issue with the Takara color scheme is that they painted the arms red when they should have left them lite gray. The Takara colors bring out the G1 character a lot more too (even if the red is a little too bright) but the mold still sets the tribute back.

Onslaught: Takara's version is much more G1 accurate and the metallic green is superb. Its hard to tell within the package but there is an awesome metallic shine on the green which looks fantastic. The head has also been painted to resemble the G1 head more, particularly the G1 character model. The Universe version is still pretty decent but I prefer the Japanese colors for G1 accuracy and because of the awesome metallic shine. I was also very pleasantly surprised to find that the Japanese have improved on the electronic sound effects, specifically the siren. In Hasbro's release the siren was a half a second sort of 'beep' which sounded silly but in USA Edition, the siren sound sequence lasts longer (making it actually sound like a police siren) and can continue on if you continue to press the button.

Paulbot
22nd October 2008, 08:42 PM
Kup, Silverbolt looks blindingly white in that pic :)

STL
22nd October 2008, 10:31 PM
Kup, Silverbolt looks blindingly white in that pic :)

That's one of the things that scares me about the mold but I guess it must not be bad in person as no one's complained to date.

jacksplatt11
22nd October 2008, 10:35 PM
I really like USA Edition Onslaught's paint job.. I mean there is nothing wrong with the Universe version, but the shiny colours just make it that little bit better

kup
22nd October 2008, 10:38 PM
Silverbolt is milky white but the camera flash will always give it that 'angel' glow.

iceburn
22nd October 2008, 11:53 PM
isn't it suppose to be red, white and blue sequence???
*hehe* it's now white, blue, red

FFN
25th October 2008, 04:54 AM
Hey guys, some people have told me the final printed instructions for Hasbro's Sideswipe mistakenly show you how to transform him into Sunstreaker, yet I've read other people claim their instructions show the correct steps.

What are your experiences?

Pulse
25th October 2008, 01:44 PM
Hey guys, some people have told me the final printed instructions for Hasbro's Sideswipe mistakenly show you how to transform him into Sunstreaker, yet I've read other people claim their instructions show the correct steps.

I don't think I even checked my Sideswipe's instructions. But Hasbro being lazy, it really doesn't suprise me... :rolleyes:

Paulbot
26th October 2008, 08:25 PM

The Sideswipe instructions put up on the Hasbro website a few months ago did have the Sunstreaker transformation.

STL
26th October 2008, 11:43 PM
I'll take photos of mine on Thursday after my last exam for the week.

k.wong23
30th October 2008, 10:06 PM
Anyone know when the next wave with Sideswipe/Silverstreak and Ironhide will drop here? :)

Also would like to say that Prowl has ridiculously good articulation! And what is this deal about 'wet' door paint, mine seems perfectly fine?

FFN
30th October 2008, 11:37 PM
Early batches of Universe and Henkei Prowls have an issue where the door on his translucent parts become sticky to the touch. I think it either comes and goes with the climatic conditions in China or they've ironed it out.

STL
31st October 2008, 02:14 AM
I'll take photos of mine on Thursday after my last exam for the week.

My bad, I've lost my instructions. I could swear i still had them! That's how I was able to answer last time. Now I need to go and buy another Sideswipe!

TheDirtyDigger
7th November 2008, 11:17 AM
Gotta say I'm pretty impressed with Universe Sideswipe. The plastic just doesn't look or feel as cheap and nasty as his Universe twin.
Really solid alt mode. (so solid I had to force the beginning of the conversion to bot)
This one gets two thumbs up from me.

kup
7th November 2008, 11:35 AM
How is Universe Sidewipe's red paint? is it uniform or different shades?

TheDirtyDigger
7th November 2008, 11:39 AM
It's pretty much uniform unlike Sunstreakers where the shades on roof and body are markedly different.

There is the slightest difference but it is practically unnoticable.

I was just about to buy the Henkei for this but the Universe in this instance is easily a good option.

kup
7th November 2008, 11:49 AM
It's pretty much uniform unlike Sunstreakers where the shades on roof and body are markedly different.

There is the slightest difference but it is practically unnoticable.

I was just about to buy the Henkei for this but the Universe in this instance is easily a good option.

Excellent! Thanks.

Tiby
7th November 2008, 07:58 PM
I'm happy to stay with the Universe versions. I have the original G1s so if I really want them I will get them out. I am happy with the updated looks of Powerglide, Silverbolt, etc, because I see them as later/upgraded versions of the character, rather than the same character in the same place and time as G1.

GoktimusPrime
8th November 2008, 09:04 AM
spoiler, but I'll take with chromed shoulder cannons. It's not like G1 Prowl had a white spoiler, anyway!
I thought that too at first until I started playing with the toy in car mode - made Prowl and Sunstreaker race each other - it seriously looks cool when you do it because the light reflected off the chrome spoilers leaves this light trail when you're dragging them along the carpet/floor at high speeds and makin' them drift etc. eheheheh. And yeah, as you said the spoiler colour is a moot point considering that G1 Prowl never had a spoiler in the first place. Sunstreaker's makes perfect since since the G1 toy did have a chrome spoiler. But yeah, there are many other cool features about Henkei Prowl that makes it superior to Universe Prowl IMO... like the chrome missiles & gun. On top of G1 accuracy, it just looks better!

I really like USA Edition Onslaught's paint job.. I mean there is nothing wrong with the Universe version, but the shiny colours just make it that little bit better
I agree... but the current state of the AUD against the JPY has made me change my mind about getting USA Ed Onslaught. Universe Onslaught is nice enough so I'll have to stick with that. :/ I'm focusing on getting Henkei versions where I think the Universe version is substantially inferior.

Gotta say I'm pretty impressed with Universe Sideswipe. The plastic just doesn't look or feel as cheap and nasty as his Universe twin.

Why didn't you just wait for Henkei Sunstreaker if Universe Sunstreaker's paints displeases you so? And I wouldn't blame you... I think Universe Sunstreaker's colours are awful. Everytime I see that thing in stores I feel so glad that I skipped it in favour of Henkei Sunstreaker. Universe Sunstreaker looks like a KO in comparison IMO.

TheDirtyDigger
8th November 2008, 09:38 AM
Why didn't you just wait for Henkei Sunstreaker if Universe Sunstreaker's paints displeases you so? And I wouldn't blame you... I think Universe Sunstreaker's colours are awful. Everytime I see that thing in stores I feel so glad that I skipped it in favour of Henkei Sunstreaker. Universe Sunstreaker looks like a KO in comparison IMO.

I agree totally on the 'looks like a KO' thing. I didn't think it looked too bad in the package though but when you get it out the poor quality of the plastic overall is very noticeable and the gun is just plain pathetic. I display in bot mode so the two different shades of yellow are slightly less pronounced but still inexcusable.

As for why didn't I wait for a Henkei...I am impatient and impulsive. I see something new and I've bought it before I've even realised what I'm doing.
I will replace this sometime soon with the Henkei version and the Hasbro one will become custom fodder so it wasn't a waste.

STL
11th November 2008, 01:26 AM
I think Universe Ironhide is a great toy. I love the transformation, easily the best of the Universe toys to date. It resonates the character well and the disappointment is really only limited to the alt mode. The robot mode is perfect. However, the toy is riddled with QC issues and only after a some shaving was I able to fix up his head as per the thread in Kup's Discussion area. Great poseability but regardless of mod or no mod, there's a problem w/ his crotch. It's big and doesn't connect but that's b/c if it did lock in to the top half, then you'd have no waist articulation.

My preference is for the articulation though many of my felllow Melbournians would've prefered otherwise.

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2946/dscf4150bm6.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/4084/dscf4151or9.jpg

Paulbot
11th November 2008, 09:04 AM
Great poseability but regardless of mod or no mod, there's a problem w/ his crotch. It's big and doesn't connect but that's b/c if it did lock in to the top half, then you'd have no waist articulation.

My preference is for the articulation though many of my felllow Melbournians would've prefered otherwise.

I was thinking about this when playing with Universe Blades. He has an extra panel so that the crotch can locks into place and can still rotate. Do you think, looking at Ironhide, that something like that could have worked on the toy?

Gutsman Heavy
11th November 2008, 02:12 PM
I always new Ironhide had massive ball-bearings

Lord_Zed
11th November 2008, 11:46 PM
Ironhide is one of the TF's that I'd rather hold out for a Henkei version. I did buy Universe Silverstreak though upping mu Universe count, mostly cause I wanted the painted missiles, chrome missiles are better than unpainted missiles, but painted missiles are even better IMO. Although I prefer prowl as a character Silverstreak has way more intresting paint apps as a toy.

So far I have 2 Henkei to 3 universe so it's pretty even.

STL
12th November 2008, 12:09 AM
I was thinking about this when playing with Universe Blades. He has an extra panel so that the crotch can locks into place and can still rotate. Do you think, looking at Ironhide, that something like that could have worked on the toy?

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/1636/ironhidesnd8.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/lcz128_photos/Transformers/asd.jpg

I don't think so. I've taken the toy apart as above and borrowing lcz128's pics, you can see the point for the waist rotation is actually further upwards on the toy not at the waist itself. More like half way up into the chest. If you looked the chest then w/ a clip, that would prevent that rotating point (shown in the first pic) from having any effect at all. Ironhide's different to Evac/Blades cos the Evac/Blades mold has two distinct upper and lower body parts. Ironhide's back connector/spine is important b/c the it runs up to the upper body to allow you to bring the whole figure down (which is one of the things I love about this toy).

I think it might have been possible to create a clip between the rear bumper (which slides under the front windscreen in robot mode) and the gray lower spine. But I think that has problems too as that would negate the turning of the upper body too since there is no lower turn joint on the waist at the base of the spine. As in the 2nd pic above, if you lock it in, that takes out the waist articulation. I think it might've been gotten around if the rotation point was lowered but I'm not sure if that would've complicated things b/c it appears that it's necessary for the spine to thin towards the waist.

And I'm w/ you Lord Zed, totally the Henkei will rock but I'm horribly infatuated w/ anything G1 so couldn't possibly wait after missing out on him a month ago.

lcz128
12th November 2008, 09:39 AM

The crotch does lock, there's a lil tab (refer to that ironhide head mod thread for more info). However, when you lock it, Ironhide then has the looking down syndrome...

So... you could still just add a ball joint for the head which sort of solves that problem ^^;;;;;

As in the 2nd pic above, if you lock it in, that takes out the waist articulation. I think it might've been gotten around if the rotation point was lowered but I'm not sure if that would've complicated things b/c it appears that it's necessary for the spine to thin towards the waist.

Not true actually. If you lock the crotch to the spine, the waist still turns. :) That's why I love this toy :D The only thing about locking the crotch to the spine is that the head will NOT go up as high as if you don't lock it.
So THAT was the trade off I was getting to in the Ironhide head mod thread I have in the discussion area. :)

Gotta say I'm loving this discussion about the sculpt and how we can make it better! Luf luf!

STL
12th November 2008, 11:08 AM
Not true actually. If you lock the crotch to the spine, the waist still turns. :)

I think were misinterpreting here. By the crotch to the spine, I mean not the back part of the crotch but the top part of the crotch and the rear bumper. If those two lock together, then you lose the articulation though it gives you a more solid toy which I can see is what others might prefer.

Additionally, the back of my spine does not connect very solidly at all to the robot mode anyway. Gotta have a look at yours but i thought it was the same as mine. there's a groove there but it just doesn't seem to lock in for me.

lcz128
12th November 2008, 12:03 PM
I think were misinterpreting here. By the crotch to the spine, I mean not the back part of the crotch but the top part of the crotch and the rear bumper. If those two lock together, then you lose the articulation though it gives you a more solid toy which I can see is what others might prefer.

Additionally, the back of my spine does not connect very solidly at all to the robot mode anyway. Gotta have a look at yours but i thought it was the same as mine. there's a groove there but it just doesn't seem to lock in for me.

Uhhh... But there isn't any useful articulation at the base of the spine, is there? All it does is seperate the crotch area from the torso area... So I guess I don't see what you mean by losing the articulation... When I was talking about it, I just meant (as you surmised) that when locked, you still have the waist (360 degree turning motion) articulation and the only drawback I could see (after doing the head mod) as that the head doesn't come up as much as if you didn't lock it.

Aesthetically as well - locking it looks far better (IMO)

STL
13th November 2008, 11:51 PM
Uhhh... But there isn't any useful articulation at the base of the spine, is there? All it does is seperate the crotch area from the torso area... So I guess I don't see what you mean by losing the articulation... When I was talking about it, I just meant (as you surmised) that when locked, you still have the waist (360 degree turning motion) articulation and the only drawback I could see (after doing the head mod) as that the head doesn't come up as much as if you didn't lock it.

Aesthetically as well - locking it looks far better (IMO)

I'll show u what I mean tmrw by the top of the crotch with the bumper bar, newbie. :p

While Jaydisc was busy daydreaming over those pansy activators, I was entranced by my own personal delight:

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9029/dscf4157xa1.jpg

I should add that I basically switched the arms over of the Hasbro one and the top part of the legs which were red on the Henkei version. An annoying mod b/c preserving that ratcheting gimmick is a pain that I've still to get right. But it works perfectly in any event and i think the images speak for themselves.

Stompy
14th November 2008, 01:16 AM
Nice work on Powerglide STL. Did you put the other parts together to make another one but in opposite colours? Can't just leave it in peices. ;)

Anyhow, I finally got my hands on Ironhide and WOAH mama. Now I understand why the alt mode looks like it does. This engineering on this thing is like... gah I am lost for words. Hats off to the engineers. Simply awesome. The way it converted is totally not what I expected. With the vehicle pretty much folding in half at the bottom and squeezing it together to for the robot mode. And those rear wheels! The place where they end up. But it's not without it's problems though. As earlier the alt mode has seams galore, but totally excused for the conversion. Robot mode... as awesome as it is slightly ruined by the (as mentioned on previous posts) head facing downwards. Also the hands are too visible and freakish looking when the gun is clipped on his arm. There is also backpack kibble. Otherwise, this is the best Universe figure for me so far. Loving that double ended weapon.

Sideswipe - I ws so surprised by the quality on this figure. It feels like a Takara figure. The excellent paintjob, plastic colour and overall asthetic look is top notch. The use of the bonnet as the chest looks natural. The autobot insignia is well placed and the contrast of the black, red and white is perfectly judged. The glossy finish on the black paint apps is a nice touch. I really can't find fault with this figure. If anything I'm not keen on the actual engineering on the joint that holds the arm on the wheels. A little clumsy in design in my opinion.

lcz128
14th November 2008, 08:40 AM
Nice work on Powerglide STL. Did you put the other parts together to make another one but in opposite colours? Can't just leave it in peices. ;)

Anyhow, I finally got my hands on Ironhide and WOAH mama. Now I understand why the alt mode looks like it does. This engineering on this thing is like... gah I am lost for words. Hats off to the engineers. Simply awesome. The way it converted is totally not what I expected. With the vehicle pretty much folding in half at the bottom and squeezing it together to for the robot mode. And those rear wheels! The place where they end up. But it's not without it's problems though. As earlier the alt mode has seams galore, but totally excused for the conversion. Robot mode... as awesome as it is slightly ruined by the (as mentioned on previous posts) head facing downwards. Also the hands are too visible and freakish looking when the gun is clipped on his arm. There is also backpack kibble. Otherwise, this is the best Universe figure for me so far. Loving that double ended weapon.

AHAH!
what you can actually do is put the hand INSIDE when you put the weapon on ! It actually works and it no longer looks freakish! :)

Here:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=UowC-zdNbDA

Stompy
14th November 2008, 07:13 PM
AHAH!
what you can actually do is put the hand INSIDE when you put the weapon on ! It actually works and it no longer looks freakish! :)

Here:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=UowC-zdNbDA

Oh wow! Thanks lcz. Although I did notice earlier that in STL's pics of Ironhide the hand was not folded on the side of the arm. I thought he must have pulled it out, but looks like it does fit inside the gun barrell!

Cheers bud!

STL
18th November 2008, 03:22 AM
Played w/ Henkeis tonight instead of Lego while watching Scrubs,

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/5834/dscf4159bi8.jpg

Between Henkei and Hasbro Octane there really isn't much difference. I think both colour schemes work very well. Both alt modes aren't different in any material way in their alt modes except for when it comes to robot mode. The key differences are the navy blue used on the lower torso and the the grays used in the place of Hasbro's black on the legs and wheels. I really like the Henkei because it has stronger robot mode colours. The chrome guns look great as smoke stacks in truck mode it stands out too much in plane mode so the black guns are more preferrable.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/2526/dscf4160wx7.jpg

I haven't opened my Hasbro Bluestreak and won't at all now. After playing w/ lcz128's I thought the red/crimson was just too dark and sapped life from the figure. Having opened my Henkei, I'm very satisfied w/ the lighter tone of red which gives it a far more G1 feel as well as life. The lighter red as the horns also gives the face a lively look whereas the dark red on the Hasbro just drains the life out of the Hasbro one.

That's not to say that the Hasbro Bluestreak was poorly coloured. I think its an exceptional paintjob by Hasbro and really appreciate it. There's so many great details such as the red of the inside rim of the wheels, the launchers are red and so on. I wish some of those were on the Henkei but I still prefer the Henkei b/c the chrome and the choice of red trumps Hasbro's.

Henkei Sideswipe is the biggest disappointment. I recommend sticking to the Hasbro one. You're probably all aware of my annoyance at Henkei's chrome spoiler so I won't labour that point. The new points of frustration for me were the yellowy cream of his white which is quite stark when you compare it to the Hasbro version. There's still a differential in reds though it's slighter but I think Hasbro's versions is sufficiently close and not that bad. The rest of the paintjob is completely identical which disappoints me as I've become so used to some nice differences between decos on Henkei ones. The chrome gun is nice when you give it to Sideswipe as his hand gun and use the Hasbro half-white, half-black as a launcher. That's about it for that figure and not much to care about in terms of differences unless you like me want a bio-card.

k.wong23
18th November 2008, 09:02 AM
Nice comments STL glad I did pick up Sideswipe :)

However one of his arms is not tight on the ball joint and look at this paint app! Totally missing!

Too bad I have already opened it :( Don't think I can refund!

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2333/dsc01574vx6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/dsc01574vx6.jpg/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img293/dsc01574vx6.jpg/1/)

TheDirtyDigger
18th November 2008, 09:19 AM
Nice pics STL. We need to invent a new word for 'chrome jealousy'.

lcz128
18th November 2008, 10:24 AM
Nice comments STL glad I did pick up Sideswipe :)

However one of his arms is not tight on the ball joint and look at this paint app! Totally missing!

Too bad I have already opened it :( Don't think I can refund!

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2333/dsc01574vx6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/dsc01574vx6.jpg/1/w640.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img293/dsc01574vx6.jpg/1/)

uhhhmmm Can't really make out the paint colours there kwong >_<;

TDD :Lol! The Universe ones are perfect as is!!! :b

STL
18th November 2008, 10:41 AM
Can't really tell what's wrong, k.wong but I trust me, refunds are still possible. :)

Pulse
18th November 2008, 01:45 PM
k.wong, is the left air dam painted & the right one isn't?

& STL, I just noticed the time of which you posted those pics "3:22 AM" - Why are you still awake at that time in the morning? :D

STL
18th November 2008, 05:34 PM
& STL, I just noticed the time of which you posted those pics "3:22 AM" - Why are you still awake at that time in the morning? :D

Exams are over so it's definitely not late night study. :p I think it's just all 'round bludging cos I can. :D

Won't last long though as when I start working next year in Feb. these days of late night DVDs, Lego, writing, TFs and reading will all be over. :(

k.wong23
18th November 2008, 10:00 PM
k.wong, is the left air dam painted & the right one isn't?

Yes Pulse is on the ball:)

I'm not fussed though

cygnus
26th November 2008, 04:41 AM
hey guyz...just want to share my henkei ironhide while I am now in HK.

been picked up universe 2.0 before I on my long holiday....no idea if I am being the unlucky one or not, my henkei one can't pop up his head properly :mad:..
and up to now, the only way to fix it is to leave the back wheels panels horizontal instead of folding back and pack them inside the rear window.

He still look great in such state.....sort of like having an extra jet pack... :cool:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10220.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10217.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10221.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10222.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10209.jpg

Golden Phoenix
26th November 2008, 10:46 AM
He looks a lot nicer in that last pic

lcz128
26th November 2008, 10:55 AM
hey guyz...just want to share my henkei ironhide while I am now in HK.

been picked up universe 2.0 before I on my long holiday....no idea if I am being the unlucky one or not, my henkei one can't pop up his head properly :mad:..
and up to now, the only way to fix it is to leave the back wheels panels horizontal instead of folding back and pack them inside the rear window.

He still look great in such state.....sort of like having an extra jet pack... :cool:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10220.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10217.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10221.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10222.jpg

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s18/benwhc/SDC10209.jpg

It's not just you! It's everyone! And yeah - there are a couple of mods to make it work all the time. Head over to the discussion area - there's a thread I started about it too :)
I'll link ya : http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2664

:)

Pulse
26th November 2008, 01:51 PM
Cygnus,

Like my Henkei Ironhide, I noticed that your's also has a white/very-light grey face/crotch/upper thighs. Don't know if it's just me - but I kinda expected the colours in those sections to be darker than that...

cygnus
26th November 2008, 11:07 PM
He looks a lot nicer in that last pic

indeed, as it takes time for me to manage how to use the new DC :D

It's not just you! It's everyone! And yeah - there are a couple of mods to make it work all the time. Head over to the discussion area - there's a thread I started about it too :)
I'll link ya : http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=2664

oh...i see, but in my case i don't think cutting the spine will help.
As it was the rear wheel section causing such problem. :o

Cygnus,

Like my Henkei Ironhide, I noticed that your's also has a white/very-light grey face/crotch/upper thighs. Don't know if it's just me - but I kinda expected the colours in those sections to be darker than that...

compare with universe ver., it was indeed in white color.
Still better off if it was silver/grey...
so customise is the only method ..

TheDirtyDigger
1st December 2008, 07:50 PM
Ironhide is the first Universe packaging I have seen to have the artwork of the bot deviate from the neutral pose.
Looks mighty pissed does Ironhide.:)

Sutton
2nd December 2008, 07:53 AM
Ironhide is the first Universe packaging I have seen to have the artwork of the bot deviate from the neutral pose.
Looks mighty pissed does Ironhide.:)

Hmm. Not a big fan of the box-art in general because they're all so robotic looking...one of the hallmarks of classic transformer box-art is the dynamic poses they have them in. Now that we have toys that are capable of the same poseability of the box-art - they stop doing dynamic box-art.

I also find it interesting that they're including the 'symbol-tattoo' things on the sides of their heads like on the movie Transformers.

FFN
3rd December 2008, 12:16 AM
The style of the Universe box art is meant to emulate the Movie, that's why the robots look especially mechanical. The hands are basically based upon Movie Prime's CGI hands, and yeah, they have cybertronix hieroglyphs on their heads.

k.wong23
6th December 2008, 09:15 AM
Just wanted to say that I refunded my previous sideswipe as it has an arm that kept falling off at the ball joint and completely missed paint app.

New one I got has no issues except the left arm falls completely off (where is attached to the wheel at the white circle).

Sunstreaker just seems far more solid than sideswipe.

FFN
6th December 2008, 02:09 PM
My Henkei Sunstreaker has an extremely loose erm... that black thing on his wrist that the door is attached to. Flops about all over the place, and my Universe Sunstreaker didn't have that problem.

Of course, I'll put up with this issue because it looks much better.

jaydisc
6th December 2008, 03:06 PM
they have cybertronix hieroglyphs on their heads.

Thanks for pointing that out. That's really neat. I've had a good look at all the boxes I have:

Definitely Have Glyph
Acid Storm
Blades
Onslaught
Silverbolt
Springer
Prowl
Sunstreaker
Tankor

Might Have Glyph
Roadbuster (top right of his head?)

Can't Find Glyph
Powerglide
Blaster
Heavy Load
Drop Shot
Ratbat
Dirge
Sideswipe
Silverstreak

Can anyone find it on those or clear up if I'm right with Roadbuster?

FFN
6th December 2008, 03:24 PM
Roadbuster's is just the detailing from the toy's crest.

kup
6th December 2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks to Dirge I got a Universe Bluestreak today in order to fix the part that had very bad wet paint on my Henkei Streak:

http://www.geocities.com/wow_frostwolf/tf3/hustreak.jpg

I know that in the last week or so I have been bashing Tak-Tom a lot due to their recent streak (no pun intended :)) of bad QC in their products (They still derserve it!:p). However when I placed both figures side by side in Robot mode I realized that despite the bad QC, the Henkei version still made the Hasbro version look like a cheap KO. The plastic on Universe is so cheap that its almost like a KO and its also noticeably lighter in weight than the Henkei due to the much thinner plastic. You can't really tell by the pics but when you see them side by side in Real life the cheaper quality is very noticeable.

I was regretting having bought the Henkei version due to the bad QC but after I saw how cheap the Universe version is when it comes to materials used to make it, I came to realized that Henkei is still more worthwhile than Hasbro's despite the exchange.

I was ready to support this version of the Universe figure in favor of Henkei but after this revelation I am afraid that I can't, the Universe one looks ridiculously cheap next to its Japanese counterpart and chrome has nothing to do with it.

When it comes to repairing the bad paint on Henkei; unfortunately I didn't realize that the 'gray parts' on the figure were much darker, almost Black on Hasbro's particularly the roof section which I needed. However the different color shades doesn't look too bad on Henkei and its much better than my repaint attempt at the Henkei roof.

FFN
6th December 2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks to Dirge I got a Universe Bluestreak today in order to fix the part that had very bad wet paint on my Henkei Streak:

I know that in the last week or so I have been bashing Tak-Tom a lot due to their recent streak (no pun intended :)) of bad QC in their products (They still derserve it!:p). However when I placed both figures side by side in Robot mode I realized that despite the bad QC, the Henkei version still made the Hasbro version look like a cheap KO. The plastic on Universe is so cheap that its almost like a KO and its also noticeably lighter in weight than the Henkei due to the much thinner plastic. You can't really tell by the pics but when you see them side by side in Real life the cheaper quality is very noticeable.

I was regretting having bought the Henkei version due to the bad QC but after I saw how cheap the Universe version is when it comes to materials used to make it, I came to realized that Henkei is still more worthwhile than Hasbro's despite the exchange.

I was ready to support this version of the Universe figure in favor of Henkei but after this revelation I am afraid that I can't, the Universe one looks ridiculously cheap next to its Japanese counterpart and chrome has nothing to do with it.

When it comes to repairing the bad paint on Henkei; unfortunately I didn't realize that the 'gray parts' on the figure were much darker, almost Black on Hasbro's particularly the roof section which I needed. However the different color shades doesn't look too bad on Henkei and its much better than my repaint attempt at the Henkei roof. Are you SURE that Universe toys use thinner plastic than Henkei's? Because thinner parts would mean they probably wouldn't fit together properly during assembly, and would likely also fail Hasbro's safety tests due to breakage.

jaydisc
6th December 2008, 07:49 PM
The plastic on Universe is so cheap that its almost like a KO and its also noticeably lighter in weight than the Henkei due to the much thinner plastic.

That's absolutely ridiculous. How would this be done? By not putting as much plastic in the mold? Using a different mold? What are you using for this weight test?

kup
6th December 2008, 08:29 PM
Are you SURE that Universe toys use thinner plastic than Henkei's? Because thinner parts would mean they probably wouldn't fit together properly during assembly, and would likely also fail Hasbro's safety tests due to breakage.

It looks that way to me. If I drop it it will stay intact but it is still a thinner/more brittle plastic than Henkei's and its not just to the touch but visually too.

Sorry its thinner plastic, may still be within toy safety standards but Henkei in that regard is much better.

Sutton
6th December 2008, 10:23 PM
I think when people say 'thinner' they don't necessarily mean there's less weight, or the parts are actually smaller, but there's corners that can be cut when it comes to the plastic mix - I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but there's techniques that can be used to make the plastic 'go further', synthetic oils and stuff like that.

There's definitely a more 'swirly' nature to the plastic in Hasbro stuff in the last couple of year's releases, especially obvious in lighter greys and yellows. Classic Screamer shows the swirly effect quite well, and when I look at something of a similar colour from G1, there's none of that going on.

jaydisc
7th December 2008, 11:31 AM
Cheaper/Different plastic is much more tenable. Thinner just doesn't make sense.

kup
7th December 2008, 12:09 PM
Yeah Thinner may not be the right word for it but its certainly weaker and more brittle. However the Henkei is still heavier than the Universe despite both being the same size and both having plastic parts..

lcz128
7th December 2008, 12:12 PM
Cheaper/Different plastic is much more tenable. Thinner just doesn't make sense.

Agreed. The volume of plastic that has to go into the mould would be the same, so it couldn't possibly be thinner -
The only thing I can think of would be the contents of the mix - and how it may be 'thinned' down (say with a cup of milo, you're thinning it down by adding more water - so the amount of the mix that goes inside is the same, but you get less 'milo' in it)
But I don't know anything of the composition of plastic... so this is just me guessing.
I think we ought to ask Hasbro what they think of the differences in plastic quality between the two companies and how there isthe swirling, its impact on quality and if there's anything they can do to combat that. :)

FFN
7th December 2008, 05:03 PM
Ahh, you meant plastic density.

Here's an article on plastic, if anybody wants to know more about plastics used in TFs. (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Plastic)

kup
8th December 2008, 11:36 AM
Ahh, you meant plastic density.

Yeah, plastic density is a much better term for what I mean about the lesser plastic used in the Hasbro version.

King Atlas
8th December 2008, 02:11 PM
Is this the only mould that has a different "feel" to the plastic qaulity?

kup
8th December 2008, 02:33 PM
Is this the only mould that has a different "feel" to the plastic qaulity?

I have not compared any other two like I have done with Streak as I mostly own Henkei when it comes to the 'Classics 2.0' figures.

However I do own Universe Galvatron and his plastic is of the same quality of Universe Bluestreak when it comes to the purple but I cannot directly compare it as I don't have the Henkei counterpart in hand.

GoktimusPrime
8th December 2008, 09:05 PM
Not Classics/Universe - but reissue Omega Supreme's plastic looks and feels thinner than on the original. The stronger LED on the reissue shines right through the tank turret/head as opposed to the original G1 toy's lamp too - but putting that aside the plastic on the reissue does feel/look thinner. Not necessarily in a bad way though - IMO the plastic quality on Encore Omega Supreme is adequate.

Mr_K
8th December 2008, 10:57 PM
Hey hey,

I just wanted to share my interpretations of the Universe Bruticus and Superion transformers. You'll note that the Superion is just the same as another that someone has done, however the Bruticus (though it resembles some already done) is different in the feet. The way others had done it really bothered me so here's my go. For more pics on the Bruticus feet go to the review thread :)

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/674/dsc00658ow7.jpg

Edit: Linking to a smaller version of the image

jaydisc
9th December 2008, 08:32 AM
Looks great. Gonna try both later.

GoktimusPrime
9th December 2008, 08:49 PM
Much like Classic 2.0 Ironhide's alt mode suffers way too much because the mold is too ambitious.
Making a cartoon-like G1 Ironhide/Ratchet toy would always be a very ambitious endeavour. The fact is that the cartoon/comics cheated by basically making 2/3 of the vehicle (which became the platform on the robot toy) vanish into thin air. Ratchet's platform was seen briefly in the cartoon and in the comics it was only seen in the very early issues when the art was still predominantly toy-accurate... but for the most part the platforms just disappeared.

In making a cartoon/comic-like Ratchet/Ironhide toy your options are to either:
1/ Maintain the battle platform. They did this with BotCon Ratchet and Ironhide. Or...
2/ Incorporate the entire vehicle into the robot form. This is what they did with Universe/Henkei...

But the extra challenge is to try and make the robot form look as cartoon/comic-like as possible; essentially they had to try and hide 2/3 of the vehicle in robot form!! That's a bloody hard job to do! On top of that they had budget limitations (i.e.: it still has to be sold at the Deluxe price point which limits the amount of engineering you can put into it). So taking that into account I think HasTak did a reasonably good job with the mould. Yes, it's kibble-licious... but that's the price of having a "show-accurate" Ironhide for you.

Paulbot
9th December 2008, 10:03 PM
I think Don's design of Ratchet n the DW Generation One comics did a good job of making it look like an Ambulance could turn into the cartoon robot.

He had the top of the ambulance as a type of backpack, with IIRC the rear doors of the ambulance folding up on the back of his lower leg, and the arms thicker to fill up the rest of the gap. I also liked that elements of the lower torso area of the Ratchet toy were incorporated into the lower torso.

(Note:these two posts moved from the Animated discussion thread)

GoktimusPrime
10th December 2008, 04:59 PM
Universe/Henkei Ironhide has a considerable amount of the kibble forming a "backpack" (not quite as neat as in the comics, but it mostly hangs off the back).

Paulbot
13th December 2008, 03:02 PM
I notice that there's now a Legends version of Silverbolt, Fireflight, Skydive and Air Raid. All we need is a Legends Slingshot for another complete set of Aerialbots to go with the Micromaster and Energon repaint ones.

The Scream Man
14th December 2008, 09:07 AM
Scored the Springer/Ratbat 2 pack on my trip out west. not a bad pair actually. Alwatys liked both molds in the Cybertron line, so am happy to see them bhack again. Springer was always a favourite character of mine.

Sam
15th December 2008, 06:32 PM
Decided to use this thread instead of making a new one...

I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with transforming their Henkei Sunstreaker?

I know you need to rotate the chest piece to reveal the head (see attached, step 17).

However, the chest piece would not rotate fully (i.e. piece becomes "slanted") despite the head being revealed properly all the way. I don't want to exert too much force lest I break something inside.

If this has happened to you, do you have a suggestion on how to fix it?

If this is an issue with the figure's quality, then I have to say I am rather disappointed, since I thought Henkei would be better...

kup
15th December 2008, 07:22 PM
Warning: Henkei Ironhide comes with wet paint on his roof:rolleyes:

Be careful when you open him as this is not obvious at first and may be some figures not all.

While I was playing with it I noticed the roof 'sticky' and some small dust and hairs sticking to it as well as finger print marks :rolleyes:

Deonasis
17th December 2008, 07:58 AM
Decided to use this thread instead of making a new one...

I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with transforming their Henkei Sunstreaker?

I know you need to rotate the chest piece to reveal the head (see attached, step 17).

However, the chest piece would not rotate fully (i.e. piece becomes "slanted") despite the head being revealed properly all the way. I don't want to exert too much force lest I break something inside.

If this has happened to you, do you have a suggestion on how to fix it?

If this is an issue with the figure's quality, then I have to say I am rather disappointed, since I thought Henkei would be better...

I forgot about this, it happens on my Universe Sideswipe. I think the figure was assembled with the head part placed to high in the reveal gears (in car mode). I'm going to take it apart for a closer look soon. I don't think it'll be too much trouble to fix but I haven't taken this figure apart before. Thanks for reminder.

hungta
17th December 2008, 11:34 AM
same thing with my sunstreaker. you need to take apart the chest by unscrewing on four points on the back. its easy to realign the chest rotation and the head.

Kyle
23rd December 2008, 06:33 PM
SE OP, is actually a step back (in terms of paint applications on the legs):

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/attachments/month_0812/20081223_9d1ac2bd8b1b805b64810rU93HOgH9dZ.jpg
Left (old), right (new).

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/attachments/month_0812/20081223_3a185be17682aa97da00Ow3nhfEujCWv.jpg
Left (old), right (new).

The new one is seriously lacking the silver + gun metal paints found on the old one... :p

I don't miss the yellow on forehead or the white circles on knees though. :D

STL
24th December 2008, 12:56 AM
oooh! miscoloured feet. I didn't realise that. Mine comes from Odie who painted his which gives it a very even look.

Kyle
24th December 2008, 01:57 AM
Odie? :confused: You Melbourne ppl with your Melbourne nicknames... :p

STL
24th December 2008, 02:04 AM
Odie? :confused: You Melbourne ppl with your Melbourne nicknames... :p

How do u know they're not real names? ;)

Paulbot
27th December 2008, 08:44 PM
I opened Ironhide today and he's really good. The vehicle mode isn't great but despite the different type of vehicle it still feels like Ironhide. I love the robot mode because it embodies the character we know from the cartoon so well. Even the hunched pose fits the character. I look forward to the Ratchet toy even more now.

jaydisc
1st January 2009, 11:17 PM
What's this super gun mode with Sunstreaker i'm hearing about? Can anyone post a pic or link?

Gasaraki
3rd January 2009, 12:51 PM
Universe Sideswipe:
Gotta say that I love this figure... colours are definitely better than Sunstreaker's, and the shoulder holes to accommodate the gun are another touch of the ingenuity of getting the two molds out of the same design. I do think that the roof as the chest gives a better overall look, but Swipey's paint job and scheme (esp with the whites) beats his twin's yellow. A couple of things to say about the common problems:

Arm Issue:
A lot of people have been complaining about the arms - the first Swipey I picked up definitely had a mis-manufactured shoulder ball joint. It didn't fit in properly and would fall off during transformation as well as if you wanted to move the arm outwards. Unfortunately there's probably no easy way to fix this - the second figure I picked up didn't have the problem. The arm should stay on the joint quite well, and takes pretty firm pressure to yank it off (which can, of course, be done). Be assured, any store should take a refund or replace if there is an actual manufacturing error like this - you just need to be firm about it.

Head/Roof Issue:
Most have probably figured out how to fix this, but I thought I'd describe a little more. If your roof doesn't turn all the way around with the head reveal, then it's a problem with the alignment of the teeth inside the figure. To fix it, you need to pull the bonnet bit upwards (ie. half transformed) to get at the four screws otherwise covered by it in robot mode. Taking the four screws off and opening the figure up allows you to take apart the rotating cog and teeth inside - simply align the roof such that it is pointed straight down when the head is fully up, and put the thing back together (guess I can put pics up if anyone's still unclear about it).

Overall 8/10 (assuming the errors are fixed)

Paulbot
3rd January 2009, 11:10 PM
I was looking at Universe Cyclonus in real life today and the toy looks great in robot mode. It captures the look of the character incredibly. I only partially transformed the toy, but I thought the way the front of the jet is formed is really clever. But really I couldn't get enough of the robot mode. Just fell in love with it.

Tetsuwan Convoy
4th January 2009, 01:55 AM
I got Ratbat and Springer and I have to say I love Ratbat, but thats mainly due to the awesome Noisemaize mould. Colouring is appropriate and the figure suits rather well.

Springer I am not too fussed about, but it is a good mould. Just a shame that the helicopter is so earthy looking while Ratbat is so spacy looking.

Oh and I noticed that the boxes I have for someone else (which has Ratbat etc and Roadbuster etc) have the comics wrong. Ratbat comes with the Wrecker from 2006(featuring Roadbuster and Dirge) and Roadbuster comes with the Warwithin( featuring, yep, you guessed, Ratbat and Springer). Are they all like this?

griffin
4th January 2009, 02:05 AM
No surprise that it has been the one consistently out of stock at Robotkingdom since that wave was released. Although, I would have thought Hound and Ravage would be more popular... (shrug)

Eazy D
4th January 2009, 09:30 AM
I just got universe silverstreak and I think ge's HEAPS better than universe prowl. The paint application is perfect and the colours are excellent. The silver and black really makes the Nissan 350Z mold shine. I like the fact that his missiles are painted and that the intakes on his upper arms are painted silver. Even the face looks great with the two shades of grey. He's a fair bit tighter than prowl as well.

That mold overall is excellent in terms of poseability and car mode is fantastic.

Kyle
4th January 2009, 10:12 AM
No surprise that it has been the one consistently out of stock at Robotkingdom since that wave was released. Although, I would have thought Hound and Ravage would be more popular... (shrug)

STL comes to mind... :D

Golden Phoenix
4th January 2009, 11:21 AM
Played with stompy's Universe figures today.
Hound and Cyclonus look great and play well.
Cheetor looks good in beast mode...and that's about it.

And from the shots of the henkei I've seen they will all look great with the henkei treatment.
Well except for Cheetor's robot mode, but they can't really do anything about that...

griffin
4th January 2009, 04:45 PM
Cheetor looks good in vehicle mode...

Vehicle mode? I know it looks like a mutant freak, but not THAT mutated... :p

GoktimusPrime
4th January 2009, 07:44 PM
...I would be impressed if Universe Cheetor also came with his vehicle mode. :)

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/0/07/BeastWars_TransmetalCheetor.jpg/150px-BeastWars_TransmetalCheetor.jpg

Golden Phoenix
4th January 2009, 09:53 PM
Vehicle mode? I know it looks like a mutant freak, but not THAT mutated... :p

Bah! I've just had my only day off in 8 days...let me switch my think maker off for a while

SilverDragon
8th January 2009, 12:43 PM
I got Overkill. I think the Grimlock-mold's T-Rex mode suits Overkill better than it does Grimlock. I would have liked to see some remolding here to give Overkill his horn (which makes him a ceratosaur, not a tyrannosaur).

Bot-mode is too recognisable as Grimlock for me to really like it as Overkill, although it does look like an evil character. I think it's neat that the round orb in his chest is now where his insignia is, although I'd have loved to see it made like a Beast Era spark crystal.

Paulbot
9th January 2009, 01:29 PM
I saw Universe Deluxe Dinobot instore today (at a comic store that had ordered in from the US and were charging heaps!) and it looks so much better in packaging than Beast Wars Dinobot ever did.

Cheetor meanwhile doesn't look that hot in packaging and is slightly better in beast mode when opened.

I didn't know that Dinobot was being sold as a Decepticon/Predacon but the option to change him to a Maximal is a nice extra feature.

GoktimusPrime
11th January 2009, 06:23 PM
I really love Henkei Hound... this guy is a like a Deluxe scale Binaltech/Alternator because the vehicle mode betrays virtually no robot kibble (other than the underside, but even some BT/ALTs have that problem) and it's got an impressive amount of detailing in the sculpt, including the inside of the vehicle and throughout the toy, which is so impressive. On top of all that it comes with Ravage!

Ravage is okay... he's what you'd expect from a "Classics" style upgrade of the character. It's neat that he has the same spool-hole size as the g1 toy as it allows me to add on G1 Ravage's weapons to him. The cassette mode is too thick to fit into G1 Soundwave's chest though. He can fit into Soundblaster's chest but due to the thickness it means that you cannot fit in a second cassette at the same time. Basically he's about x1.5 the thickness of a regular G1 cassette.

For 2310JPY* this is astoundingly GOOD value for money.

-----
*Which is like $23.10 for people in Japan. Sure, I paid more because of our lousy exchange and postage cost, but that's not TakaraTOMY's fault and so it's not something that I factor into the inherent core value of the toy.

The Scream Man
11th January 2009, 11:20 PM
didnt Walky have pics up with Ravage in Soudnwaves chest? I know i saw it somewhere....

Golden Phoenix
11th January 2009, 11:36 PM
didnt Walky have pics up with Ravage in Soudnwaves chest? I know i saw it somewhere....

http://pics.livejournal.com/shortpacked/pic/001hqy3r (http://shortpacked.livejournal.com/452448.html)

GoktimusPrime
12th January 2009, 12:17 AM
...that's a reissue Soundwave too (can't tell if it's TFC or Encore though). kup and I tried to put my Henkei Ravage into my Encore Soundwave's chest, and yeah... wouldn't go in. Then we tried it on my TFC Soundblaster, and it fit, but I couldn't put a second cassette in. *shrug*

Golden Phoenix
12th January 2009, 12:17 PM
...that's a reissue Soundwave too (can't tell if it's TFC or Encore though). kup and I tried to put my Henkei Ravage into my Encore Soundwave's chest, and yeah... wouldn't go in. Then we tried it on my TFC Soundblaster, and it fit, but I couldn't put a second cassette in. *shrug*

At least it fits in one/some of them

Wheel-J
12th January 2009, 08:25 PM
I recently got excited and got myself a henkei starscream last week though I havn't seen the TFU version yet (despite some reviews I read somewhere which says that there has been a noticeable colour improvement on the TFU version from the classic version). This made me eager to visit a local comic shop where news sightings have been made on the presence of TFU starscream. For the record, it was in 2006 when the spark within me was re-ignited when I discovered classics starscream in a local supermarket. :)

So I went to that comic shop and luckily, there was still one remaining starscream left. I made a scrutinizing stare at the figure whilst inside the packaging and revealed a couple of noticeable difference (in jet-mode):
1) first is the very noticeable white white on the TFU version as opposed to the off-white (or greyish white) from classics and henkei version.
2) the colour-pattern is similar to the henkei version except that the henkei version has 3 decepticon insignias (1-nose cone, 2-wings) whilst TFU has only 2 insignias (2-wings).
3) and of-course, there could be many more as can easily be seen in bot-mode.

See for yourself (Classics/Universe/Henkei):

http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/39/starscream2008085.jpg

Well, as for me, I think I'm satisfied with the henkei version. Though I'm really a fan of the classics 1.0 packaging..

Lord_Zed
12th January 2009, 11:01 PM
TFU Starscream in the picture above doesn't do anything for me, he's even less detailed than the other two, and his red looks abit neon orange, also G1 Starscream was never white.

kup
12th January 2009, 11:41 PM

Yeah we couldn't push it in without 'bending' the plastic a fair bit which would not have been enough to break it but enough to warp it. I am sure that if we forced it in, we would have been able to fit the tape inside but I wouldn't call it advisable so yeah, I will agree that it doesn't fit as 'forcing it in' doesn't count.

griffin
13th January 2009, 04:33 AM
TFU Starscream in the picture above doesn't do anything for me, he's even less detailed than the other two, and his red looks abit neon orange, also G1 Starscream was never white.

That's one thing that stands out really prominently - Starscream has the same pinkish colour that 25th Optimus has, and it just doesn't look right. Either Hasbro is getting a bit cheap on the plastic colouring, or someone at Hasbro likes pink a little too much.

jaydisc
13th January 2009, 03:31 PM
That's one thing that stands out really prominently - Starscream has the same pinkish colour that 25th Optimus has, and it just doesn't look right. Either Hasbro is getting a bit cheap on the plastic colouring, or someone at Hasbro likes pink a little too much.

It's a similar fiasco to Allspark Blue. They must have just gotten truckloads of this color cheap and are now using it everywhere :(

I heard that with Ravage you have to try each of the four possibly ways you can insert him as only 1/4 works.

Kyle
14th January 2009, 06:12 AM
It's a similar fiasco to Allspark Blue. They must have just gotten truckloads of this color cheap and are now using it everywhere :(

I heard that with Ravage you have to try each of the four possibly ways you can insert him as only 1/4 works.

Wonder what cheap colour they'll buy in extra quantity then use next... :o

GoktimusPrime
14th January 2009, 11:32 AM
...certainly not chrome. :p

Golden Phoenix
15th January 2009, 12:00 PM
Wonder what cheap colour they'll buy in extra quantity then use next... :o

Probably that nasty yellow they used on Bumblebee, Sunstreaker and Piss Rescue Ratchet

SilverDragon
16th January 2009, 04:33 PM
I wonder why they never thought to rampantly abuse glow-in-the-dark colours.

Maybe that'll be next and we'll get redecos of everyone in glow-in-the-dark greens.

GoktimusPrime
16th January 2009, 06:39 PM
We had those glow-in-the-dark posters in 1986. :p That paint eventually wore out and stopped glowing in the dark.

Paulbot
17th January 2009, 12:00 AM
A Melbourne comic shop got the most recent Universe deluxes in store directly from the US (with markups to match). Starscreams, Hounds, Cyclonusi sold out within days (maybe the day) of going on the shelf.

A week later all that was left were two Smokescreens, and four Dinobots.

Could be a sign of which toy is going to be the pegwarmer.

kup
17th January 2009, 11:04 AM
A Melbourne comic shop got the most recent Universe deluxes in store directly from the US (with markups to match). Starscreams, Hounds, Cyclonusi sold out within days (maybe the day) of going on the shelf.

I would imagine Dinobot would be. He would mostly appeal to Beast Wars fans while I am sure most people collecting Universe Classics are doing so for the G1 nostalgia. On top of that, Dinobot is also a bit of a turn off to Beast Wars fans as the colors chosen do not look much like Dinobot from the show and informed fans who do want the mold are probably waiting for Henkei.

kurdt_the_goat
17th January 2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah we couldn't push it in without 'bending' the plastic a fair bit which would not have been enough to break it but enough to warp it. I am sure that if we forced it in, we would have been able to fit the tape inside but I wouldn't call it advisable so yeah, I will agree that it doesn't fit as 'forcing it in' doesn't count.

Just got my Henkei Hound/Ravage today, and tried fitting into my Encore Soundwave. Ravage can fit inside with no force if you orient him the same way as the photo posted earlier. His front legs have an indent that, in tape mode, allows it to pass smoothly in front of the plastic tab on the inside left of Soundwave's chest. Here's the photo again:

http://pics.livejournal.com/shortpacked/pic/001hqy3r

kup
17th January 2009, 04:08 PM
Just got my Henkei Hound/Ravage today, and tried fitting into my Encore Soundwave. Ravage can fit inside with no force if you orient him the same way as the photo posted earlier. His front legs have an indent that, in tape mode, allows it to pass smoothly in front of the plastic tab on the inside left of Soundwave's chest. Here's the photo again:

Thanks, I will give it a go once my Henkei Hound arrives. I have a vintage G1 Soundwave and if it fits in him then it can fit in any reissue.

SilverDragon
17th January 2009, 04:46 PM

Works for me, as Dinobot is the only Universe guy I really want from that wave. If he's a pegwarmer, it'll be easier to find him. :)

Kyle
17th January 2009, 05:25 PM

Niiice... I have to get myself both Encore Soundwave and Henkei Hound now~ :p

Kyle
22nd January 2009, 10:08 AM
Henkei Starscream vs. Universe Starscream:

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/viewthread.php?tid=9518

lcz128
22nd January 2009, 10:42 AM
heh. :b

ClassicsUniverse screamer - a great, economical alternative to the henkei version, but it doesn't come close to toppling the henkei version off its pedestal :D

kup
22nd January 2009, 11:18 AM
The Universe 'enhanced' version would have been just as good if they had done it in a proper red instead of dayglow and painted the chest turbines.

Lint
22nd January 2009, 01:52 PM
I dont mind the dayglow but the lack of detailing is criminal

kup
30th January 2009, 04:03 PM

I have tried it with my Henkei Ravage and a Vintage Soundwave. Although I was able to fit Ravage in I was barely able to do it and I can see the molded 'tape holders' on the cassette door bending a bit while I did it. I also had to force Soundwave's cassette door close and when you push the eject button the tape door becomes stuck because Ravage is squeezed in too tightly so it has to be forced open.

Maybe the reissue which has a remolded chest is that tiny bit wider to accommodate the new Ravage.

jaydisc
30th January 2009, 05:27 PM
Have you tried all four possible ways?

kup
30th January 2009, 07:23 PM
Have you tried all four possible ways?

yeah I can get it in but only through force and that means as stated above, that it bends the plastic a little bit and doesn't eject unless you manually force it because its too big.

I don't have a reissue Soundwave (aside from the double chested commemorative one) to try.

It may also be possible that its easier to do it with the Universe Ravage as it may be of a thinner plastic. its only off by a mm or two.

jaydisc
8th February 2009, 09:56 PM
While I'm still digging Cyclonus's robot mode, the legs in alt mode (back center of the jet) really disappoint. They don't really seem to know where they should sit.

Hound, on the other hand, is just pure love in virtually every way, shape and form. I think he's the best Classics 2.0 figure to date.

kup
8th February 2009, 10:07 PM
While I'm still digging Cyclonus's robot mode, the legs in alt mode (back center of the jet) really disappoint. They don't really seem to know where they should sit.

Hound, on the other hand, is just pure love in virtually every way, shape and form. I think he's the best Classics 2.0 figure to date.

I have to agree with the Hound comment. Its very impressive, almost feels as if he comes from some collector line like Alternity or something.

STL
9th February 2009, 02:32 PM

+1 here.

I think Cyclonus' jet mode is very cool from a futuristic feel but its lack of solidity really hurts its play value. When u pick it up, ther'es just that sense of fragility.

Hound is toy of the year for me. The only thing I would've wanted was a handgun but that's a very small price to pay for a cassette so I'm not gonna complain

Omega Supreme
9th February 2009, 04:48 PM
I with you guys about his (Cyclonus) legs & alt mode, really great figure though.

I have written my 1st figure review on him

Review (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=3489)

Stompy
9th February 2009, 07:01 PM
Cyclonus robot mode is as good as a non transforming Action Figure that a transforming figure has been from my experience. The proportions are perfect and no alt mode kibble. Articulation is almost perfect bar the restrictions on the arms.

The legs in alt mode really ruined the overall rating for the figure, not to mention all the gaps and general instability. They just float there.

Excellent robot mode though.

Lord_Zed
9th February 2009, 07:50 PM
While I'm not a huge fan of Cyclonus Jetmode, what's the issue with the legs? Is it just the way the legs are placed or is there some issue with them not locking in on some toys?

When I saw the instructions I was worried that it might be Movie Deluxe Brawl all over again, but no he seems pretty solid to me.

Kyle
9th February 2009, 09:51 PM
An addition of 2 fists can make Universe Superion a whole lot better~

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/viewthread.php?tid=10351

jaydisc
9th February 2009, 10:35 PM

That's just amazing! EXACTLY what I've been wanting for all three Energon combiners!

iceburn
9th February 2009, 10:41 PM
hmmm, very nice. agree....

STL
9th February 2009, 11:37 PM
Any idea where those fists come from? That is amazing, Kyle!

Kyle
10th February 2009, 10:26 AM
The gent said he used fists from old GaoGaiGar model kits, but similar fists from other model kits will do. If he finds better options I'll let you guys know.

jaydisc
10th February 2009, 01:16 PM
Is it just the way the legs are placed or is there some issue with them not locking in on some toys?

Personally I have a few issues:

1. The gap in the back visible here:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/IMG_0291.jpg

2. This is the one that I tried to describe that annoys me the most. The two halves of the legs fold up to form the back of the jet. The top leg-half is what clips in with the wing. The bottom leg half has nothing to clip it in or identify its proper positioning:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/IMG_0293.jpg

3. Because of #2, the feet don't come together to form thrusters like Classics Jetfire per se, and the back view is a bit of a mess too:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/IMG_0294.jpg

Lord_Zed
14th February 2009, 02:21 AM
I thought the lower half of the legs clip into place with the groin, so that the back of the knee pads touch the pelivs, seems to work with mine at least. Stability doesn't seem to be an issue but the gaps are annoying, although no where near as bad as Cybertron Soundwave. What bugs me more is his jet mode is a bit too fat and unaerodynamic, which is worsened when Nightstick is attached.

Still my general opinon of the classics so far is that they have awesome robot modes and average vehicle modes, so I guess I'm willing to let a lot of Cyclonus's vehicle mode flaws slide.

GoktimusPrime
14th February 2009, 06:14 PM
Autobase Aichi has comparative photos of Universe and G1 Beachcomber here (http://snakas.web.infoseek.co.jp/classic/lg_beachcomber.html) (scroll down). The white really should have been grey. :(

lcz128
15th February 2009, 08:09 PM

Dangit! Anyone save the pics? :S The link is now dead :(

Kyle
15th February 2009, 08:59 PM
Dangit! Anyone save the pics? :S The link is now dead :(

We forgot to renew the HK-TF domain and it expired... :o My friends are already working on it. :p

Sam
15th February 2009, 11:41 PM
Not sure if this is the place to ask questions instead of post comments ... but I read a while back that there will be another release of Universe Ironhide where he has a silver face instead of a blue one, is this correct? If so, does anyone know when/if it would be released in retail shops in Australia?

By the way, I got Acid Storm the other day. I decided against getting him before because the mold is not new, but since there seem to be more Autobots than Decepticon figures in my small collection I wanted to bring some balance back. I think his colour scheme is not bad either.

STL
15th February 2009, 11:50 PM
Not sure if this is the place to ask questions instead of post comments ... but I read a while back that there will be another release of Universe Ironhide where he has a silver face instead of a blue one, is this correct? If so, does anyone know when/if it would be released in retail shops in Australia?

Not sure, Sam. It was supposed to be in a special assortment of x2 Ironhide, x2 Sideswipe, x2 Bluestreak, x1 Galvatron, x1 Acid Storm but I can't say I've ever seen that exact assortment yet or can be convinced to buy another one just to check. Hasbro announced it as a running change but I haven't paid attention to the larger US boards to see if anyone found one eventually.

GoktimusPrime
16th February 2009, 06:26 PM
I had a fiddle with griffin's Henkei Cyclonus yesterday and I must say that mouldwise, the robot mode is really nice. Didn't get to take the jet mode for a spin though.

MV75
16th February 2009, 06:30 PM
After seeing them today, I have to say something;

Cheetor, dinobot, smokescreen,

They all look fanatastic in package. I was blown away with how clean and even, especially smokescreen, are. The paint apps have improved considerably.

Anyone else notice?

Lord_Zed
16th February 2009, 11:48 PM
I saw those toys yesterday, I did notice the paint aps on Smokescreen were quite neat however the figure still does not impress me. IMO it has to much yellow, and the colour placement bothers me he looks like a clown. Cheetor's hunch back is a huge turn of to. After seeing them in the plastic I think Dinobot is the only one I will be getting.

i_amtrunks
17th February 2009, 09:05 AM
After seeing them today, I have to say something;

Cheetor, dinobot, smokescreen,

They all look fanatastic in package. I was blown away with how clean and even, especially smokescreen, are. The paint apps have improved considerably.

Anyone else notice?

They look great in packaging.

But once out and Transformed, I could find nothing special about any of them, to me Dinobot and Cheetor look worse than their original incarnations. Smokescreen just needed some minor updates to his paint layout, and he would have been peachy.