PDA

View Full Version : Toy 180s (from nay to yay and vice versa)

BruiseLee
18th September 2015, 09:21 PM
When YOTG Soundwave was announced I had a ROFLMAO moment. Could not believe that they would design something with that combo of clear and brown. Gave it the big thumbs down and was happy that I would be saving money here. Well that was about a year ago and well guess what I have brought home today. Yup, Goatwave. :)

After looking at vids and seeing it in store it really grew on me. It was one of those classic looks better in person than in pics toys. I do love the oddball TF stuff but at $299? Well for $141.20 (additional 10% and added the $20 gift card value) that was the clincher. So that's my nay to yay. Still need to think about my yay to nay.

Do any of you have a TF that you weren't keen on which you then saw in a new light or had something which went from being liked to meh?

DELTAprime
18th September 2015, 09:49 PM
I used to think movie toys were great, and the more complex the better. Now I hate the vast majority of them.

Zommael
18th September 2015, 10:20 PM
Initially I thought CW Silver Megatron was quite dull and I wouldn't trouble myself with it. After getting CW Armada Megatron I found it such a good toy that I felt the mould was worth owning twice, which is just about the highest praise I ever give.

More generally, there's a whole bunch of toys I once owned that I sold for space reasons and now regret. On the other hand... well, I once owned a near-complete collection of Cybertron figures, and as great as that line was, there were also some real stinkers in there.

Akky82
18th September 2015, 11:27 PM
My yay to nay is constantly chug figures, lately notably menasor and defensor (i still have takara superion just because it's better than the other 2), and will be getting UW devestator too to sit in my mp area. Whenever I get into the lines i always end up disappointed, from classics autobot cars/jetfire/seekers right up to reveal the shield, i get in, then later offload them.

As for nay to yay, I'm in the same boat about Goatwave, I have a gift card from work so I may just pick him up, if I can bring myself to justify having 2 soundwaves and 11 tapes... (Second mention goes to MP acid storm. Some people might think why would you not like him? But i sold the first one i bought, still sealed, then picked one up cheap from tru online (paid <80 each) and the box was beat up so I decided to open and display it but still intended to resell. Now he's my favourite seeker and one of my favourite MPs, pity I cant be bothered playing too much with him, that transformation).

GoktimusPrime
18th September 2015, 11:36 PM
G1 Sunstorm

I actually only wanted Road Hauler in 2003, but I ended up getting Sunstorm too because I 'had to.' I initially tried to sell off my Sunstorm (for about $40) and nobody was even remotely interested. Then in 2004, Dreamwave went and made Sunstorm a cool character (http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/1/15659/2469030-sunstorm_tf_g1_vol03_2003_2.jpg), and now I'm glad that I got this toy. :)

MayzaPrime
19th September 2015, 12:35 AM
I was also in the same boat about not wanting Goatwave... Then I got a $50 Myer gift card and the price finally came down so I jumped on it after saying for over a year that I wasnt going to get it... :D

I was also going to skip the RID line (I still bought some for the kids) but after getting Warrior Drift I actually liked the toys so I grabbed a few more, Bumblebee, Strongarm, Steeljaw, Sideswipe & Jazz. Pretty happy with them actually.

Jetfire in the sky
19th September 2015, 12:52 AM
Any Bayformer...........ever...............but now I have a (ROTF?) Ravage (actually purchased from a member on here :)) beside my Energon Shockwave and they fit very well.

No Bayformers otherwise :):D

sideswipes brother
19th September 2015, 09:11 AM
This ^^...any Bayformer!!! Then i saw the ROTF Leader Buster Optimus and HAD to have it. Its the only Bayformer i have and the only one i will ever get!!

Trent
19th September 2015, 01:12 PM
MP Starsaber. I was really disappointed when I first got it. The lack of paint apps and fairly basic transformation really turned me off. Now I have realised for a basic TF just how much it does and does it damn well.

Another is Combiner Wars. I lol'd when Superion and Menasor were revealed. I actually ended up selling my TFC Uranos because of how impressed with Superion I was.

Tetsuwan Convoy
20th September 2015, 01:26 PM
Masterpiece Ultra Magnus. Ever since MP01 Prime was announced I thought it would be awesome to have Magnus. But as time went on, and pics came out, I just slowly went off the guy.

I bet I'll regret it when MP Galvatron eventually makes his way out. He'll have nothing to ride on...

Jetfire in the sky
21st September 2015, 01:58 PM
More generally, there's a whole bunch of toys I once owned that I sold for space reasons and now regret.

I think there are a few of us out there in that boat.
When I sold my loose G1 Victory Leo and Star Saber it was around a year later that I just let out a great big NOOOOOOO!!!! About six months after that I was lucky enough to go to Japan and they were my two main goals, I found them and now I have two stunning, unplayed with, pieces of Japanese G1 glory :)

I missed the yay to nay part in my earlier post. My yay was every single Transformer ever made, to a huge nay, lucky all this happened before the movies but sadly not before animorphs :p Anyway, the collection has well and truly been updated since then with a lot of nays and me still having a roof over my head :D

Jilm101
21st September 2015, 08:07 PM
I wasn't interested in generations leader jetfire at all when he first came out, thought the voyager I had was fine but now I find myself wanting it, searching the boards for one for sale ;)

Handsprime
21st September 2015, 08:29 PM
I wasn't interested in generations leader jetfire at all when he first came out, thought the voyager I had was fine but now I find myself wanting it, searching the boards for one for sale ;)

Check out Toys R Us, they have him for about $90 (well at least the one in Parramatta does)

Paulbot
21st September 2015, 10:55 PM
In the last week I've done a 360 on RID Minicon Sawback. I went from being only marginally aware of his existence, to finding out about this dogwolf and finding his artwork cute but having no interest in buying it. To seeing it in the store and thinking it was a great new concept for a Minicon/Tape and deciding to buy it, taking it with me towards the registers, only to change my mind and put it back to think about it some more, only to read online that he's a one step changer which has put off buying it altogether again.

Jetfire in the sky
21st September 2015, 10:59 PM
I wasn't interested in generations leader jetfire at all when he first came out

Blasphemy!! :p

Jilm101
22nd September 2015, 12:49 PM
But now I see the errors of my ways I have seen the light

Megatran
22nd September 2015, 01:23 PM
I have a MISB Hasbro version I'm willing to let go. $50 + shipping. PM incoming.

Lint
23rd September 2015, 11:37 AM
I have a MISB Hasbro version I'm willing to let go. $50 + shipping. PM incoming.

And if for whatever reason you're willing to splurge to support a local retailer, Chaddy Toys R Us has about 3 of these. :p

Megatran
23rd September 2015, 11:57 AM
Sold. Yah to nay. :D

But it just feels so right. :p

Jetfire in the sky
24th September 2015, 07:54 AM
Sold. Yah to nay. :D

But it just feels so right. :p

*Slowly grinds teeth in disgust* :p

At least Jilm101 comes up with the goods on this one. It's a beautiful piece and displays great in the box, mine is side by side with my MIB G1 Jetfire and looks fantastic.

GoktimusPrime
24th September 2015, 08:16 AM
I still prefer Voyager Jetfire. I do have both. But I just love the double show/toy homage on the Voyager plus I find it to just be a much more fun toy that packs more dollar value consisting that it sold for half the price of the Leader. I like Leader Jetfire, but I do prefer the Voyager.

Handsprime
24th September 2015, 08:18 AM
I remember my Voyager Jetfire.
Unfortunately I lost the tail piece so it's now incomplete :rolleyes:

BruiseLee
19th October 2015, 10:11 AM
Finally picked up my nay to yay! Well its actually more of a Toy 360 as it went from yay to nay for quite some time then back to yay but I guess this counts.

Generations Leader Jetfire. Was excited when it was announced as G1 Jetfire has always been a fave given he was the same as my VF1 which is one of the few toys which survived my play/cull many years back. The hollow nature and maximus chromus put me off for a while but now its back to yay, in hand and very nice!

Lord_Zed
19th October 2015, 01:53 PM
All leader class toys are usually yay to nay's for me, I've picked up a few over the years from Energon, the move lines and others lines and quickly become disenchanted and sold them off. The only exceptions, Bayformer, ROTF Prime who though complex just felt like a toy worthy of the mantle Leader class. and to a much lesser degree ROTF Jetfire and Legends/CW Ultra Magnus are muffled yay's.

I still prefer Voyager Jetfire. I do have both. But I just love the double show/toy homage on the Voyager plus I find it to just be a much more fun toy that packs more dollar value consisting that it sold for half the price of the Leader. I like Leader Jetfire, but I do prefer the Voyager.

Unsurprisingly given my stance on leaders, I agree.