PDA

View Full Version : Henkei or Classics 2.0...?

Adzma
18th September 2008, 08:58 AM
So yesterday I was wandering around K-Mart and came across Classics 2.0 Sunstreaker and Prowl, but didn't buy them at the time because I wanted to see how Takara's versions differed from their Hasbro counterparts. Now I've seen them both and it's harder to decide. :p I like the chrome on Takara's, but I think Hasbro's colour choice is better, specifically on Sunstreaker. So basically I've come to the experts, which do you all prefer?

STL
18th September 2008, 09:14 AM
I personally would choose Henkei over Classics if it came down to having only 1.

To me these are the pros and cons of each:

Pro Henkei
- More vibrant and G1 accurate paint applications
- Tech spec card
- Chrome

Henkei Cons
- Quality Control can't be managed b/c you can't use a receipt to exchange for a problem-free one.
- Cost will be higher than Hasbro's b/c of shipping and low exchange rate
- Delayed availability

Pro Classics 2.0
- Packaging; much more display friendly
- Faster availability
- Since it's at retail, you can get everything at sale prices. Will save you close to 15-20% more.

Classics 2.0 cons
- Some very poorly chosen paint applications - IE Prowl, Powerglide
- No tech spec card (I'm a sucker for these)

I'm someone who will get everything in any event so there's little need for me to elect between the two choices.

kup
18th September 2008, 09:38 AM
I would add 'color shade discrepancies' , 'cheap plastic' and 'cheap paint quality' to Hasbro's Classics.

It's not very good when a figure comes out of the package with stress marks or the paint ends up on your hands upon first transformation. May not have happened to all but it has been common enough to be a systematic problem.

BTW: HLJ has requested Payment for Henkei Sunstreaker and Prowl. They seem to have them in stock.

Pulse
18th September 2008, 12:03 PM
I've gotta feelin' this discussion will be ongoing until the next blue moon... :rolleyes:

iceburn
18th September 2008, 12:06 PM
BTW: HLJ has requested Payment for Henkei Sunstreaker and Prowl. They seem to have them in stock.

saw them available on ebay yesterday BIN but its gone today

[edit] seller placed it back up again

Adzma
18th September 2008, 12:13 PM
Well with Kmart's 20% sale I felt I couldn't refuse so I picked up Sunstreaker, Prowl and Octane. Unfortunately I'll have to return Prowl because I noticed when I got home that his white paint didn't match (like you guys said) and that his right-side headlight was covered with paint on the inside. So far as I can tell the others are fine, so it might only be Henkei for Prowl.

Paulbot
18th September 2008, 12:45 PM
I think it's hard to make a judgement until the Henkei toys are actually available.

kup
18th September 2008, 01:10 PM
I think it's hard to make a judgement until the Henkei toys are actually available.

That's why I am mentioning Universe. However I think that we can expect the same quality from Henkei 2.0 as the earlier figures which means that they will have superior finishes and paint jobs but QC will be an issue in some figures.

jaydisc
18th September 2008, 08:08 PM
Great rundown STL.

While Henkei clearly seem to have superior paintjobs, anything said about a difference in plastic is obvious conjecture.

Lord_Zed
18th September 2008, 09:35 PM
Yup we wont know till they arrive, we can only guess based on the superiority of previous Henkei releases.

Not long now though, we should be able to get a hands on perspective.

llamatron
18th September 2008, 10:49 PM
Some Henkei figures gave some truly bizzarre chrome applications.

So far the only Henkei's that really seem to be worth getting over the Classics are Megatron, Astrotrain, Prowl, Ironhide and possibly Prime.

dirge
19th September 2008, 09:56 AM
I've gotta feelin' this discussion will be ongoing until the next blue moon... :rolleyes:

STL's post addresses the original post - there are pros and cons in both cases. The original poster is now more informed to make their own mind up.