PDA

View Full Version : Question: what colour is the Millenium Falcon?

M-bot
23rd October 2015, 06:51 PM
OK, this might seem like a stupid question. The explanation - I'm doing a custom paint job on a model of the Falcon and I'm having a bit of trouble discerning it's exact colour. I am aware that there are some differently coloured panels here and there, so I'm talking about the bulk of the external panels.

I've poured over heaps of Google image search pics, and as far I can tell, it's an off-white or very light grey, with a very slight tan/brown tinge. I can get that kind of effect from a very light grey with a brush over with a brown wash, to "dirty" it up.

What do you guys think? Any views on the colour?

gamblor916
23rd October 2015, 08:41 PM
I'm about to build an X-wing and the same thing applies. I think just go with dirty off white. Prime with black and apply white mixed with a bit of tan.
Disclaimer: this is what I intend to do but I haven't tried it yet.

M-bot
23rd October 2015, 08:49 PM
I'm about to build an X-wing and the same thing applies. I think just go with dirty off white. Prime with black and apply white mixed with a bit of tan.
Disclaimer: this is what I intend to do but I haven't tried it yet.

That sounds about right. I'm using a pre-shading technique to make it look more worn (a less subtle version that what I did on my G2 Grimlock). Giving it a worn look can hide a multitude of sins ;)

Thanks Gamblor :)

Bladestorm
24th October 2015, 06:14 PM
I'd say off white/cream (with a grey/blue hue in it) with a bit of grey/black smoke/wear and maybe some sandy browns as well...

That's how the Hot Toys Millenium Falcon was coloured anyways and it looked pretty amazing...

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/415/19811944530_2b250f8532_z.jpg

I guess the thing is if you are going for the more authentic worn down old freighter look it will have a lot of wear and tear showing on it...

M-bot
25th October 2015, 08:46 PM
I'll definitely be using that pic for reference. That model is awesome!!:)

Thanks Bladestorm:)

Bladestorm
26th October 2015, 02:21 AM
I have a few more pics of that beauty on my flickr account as well M-bot. If you want me to post more of the Hot Toys Millennium Falcon ones here let me know.

It really was a sight to behold!

BigTransformerTrev
26th October 2015, 03:28 PM
You could go with the cream, the white, the off-white, the ivory, the bone or the beige :p

Bladestorm
26th October 2015, 06:53 PM
You could go with the cream, the white, the off-white, the ivory, the bone or the beige :p

Mwahaha - I was thinking that too when I first read this post Trev...

M-bot
26th October 2015, 10:00 PM

Man, I've had a crappy day. But it ended in a smile.:D

Ultra Mackness
22nd December 2015, 09:28 PM
Not sure if this site would be helpful, the guy seems to have a lot of the old kits instructions which should have the paint schemes in them.

http://www.starwarsmodels.com/mfca.html

jazzcomp
23rd December 2015, 08:51 AM
Space grey?

Ralph Wiggum
23rd December 2015, 03:51 PM
Off white, bordering on light grey. When I built my model kit, I tended to mix light grey and white paint. But it has a fair bit of dirt, scorch marks etc for that "used universe" look.

Movie stills differ in colour; in the Tatooine hangar it was a dirty light tan whilst parked on the Death Star it was off-white.

Trent
23rd December 2015, 06:41 PM
Movie stills differ in colour; in the Tatooine hangar it was a dirty light tan whilst parked on the Death Star it was off-white.

Wouldn't that be an accurate representation as it's reflecting the colours of its surroundings?