PDA

View Full Version : High resolution images of upcoming 25th Anniv/Animated figures

Pulse
19th September 2008, 11:39 PM
Man, They look sweet! (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/high-resolution-images-of-upcoming-universe25th-anniversary-and-animated-figures-165826/) :)

*Drools* :p

Cyclonus, Hound, Inferno & those G1 RH's look bee-you-tee-full! :D

Paulbot
19th September 2008, 11:49 PM
Hound looks great. Cheetor is clearly mistransformed. And I like the new Brawn and Beachcomber a lot.

But Aughh!! Robot Heroes Slag is called Snarl!? :( I can accept it for Animated but not for G1.

hound
20th September 2008, 12:20 AM
I just love the new me :D. When can we expect to see my replicas on the shelf? Cyclonus and Inferno looks great too.

Lord_Zed
20th September 2008, 01:40 AM
Pretty good, Cyclonus is my favourte by far. hound looks good to, except i'm not sure if it's the photo or what, but his eyes look like they are to far apart. It makes him look kinda dimwitted.

Still not sure about Inferno and Cheetor.

Borgeman
20th September 2008, 01:49 AM
zomg!! thank god i chose the universe line over animated http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/party/party0049.gif

George

Stompy
20th September 2008, 03:00 AM
Mmmm. Nice. Interesting decision to have Ravage packed in with Hound. I like them all. Especially the Animated figures.

kup
20th September 2008, 03:18 AM
Impressive but my oppinion has not changed since we first saw them in the Hasbro Presentation slides with the exception of Cyclonus which I now see as Excellent and Cheetor looks worse.

Universe Hound with Ravage - Very good
Cyclonus - Excellent
Minibots - Brawn and Beach Comber are good but Bumblebee sucks.
Inferno - Good.
Cheetor - Looks way too Beast Machines rather than Beast Wars. Its very bad. His 12 year old toy is much more superior than this.

New stuff:

Looks like they are making a Premium Classics Starscream which is better than original but it looks inferior to Henkei.

I love the Vector Prime redeco, I wonder if they are making him into the Last Autobot?

There are oddities in Robot Heroes:

- Why is he called Snarl instead of his propper name Slag? That sucks as that is not a copyrighted name!!!!

- Hardshell? WTF?

FFN
20th September 2008, 03:59 AM
Copyright is for ideas and concepts. Trademarks are for names.

The likely scenario is they cannot trademark Bombshell, probably due to somebody else holding the trademark (or something very similar) in the same category. A few years ago Hasbro had a female GI Joe figure they were going to name Bombshell. But due to them not being able to secure the trademark for that, they went with Bombstrike.

If somebody has secured a trademark, you can't just stick 'Autobot' or 'Decepticon' in front of the name for your own purposes, if you're wondering.

The Slag thing is due to sensitivities in the UK, 'slag' being a slang/swear word over there and all.

Thanatos
20th September 2008, 08:04 AM
This looks like a good time to be a TF collector. Wow.

Mainly looking forward to Hound, Cyclonus and Inferno, but I also like the Vector Prime and Scourge redecos. Animated all look good.

Seriously though, Inferno? I'm on cloud 9 about this. I love inferno.

jaydisc
20th September 2008, 08:45 AM
I think they all look awesome, but you can be sure these are the same kind of exaggerated, touched up, unfortunately false, back-of-the-package pics we've seen on Universe and Classics, which cheapens the whole thing for me. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sad/sad0020.gif

SilverDragon
20th September 2008, 09:25 AM
Ow, my wallet. Universe is looking better than Animated, since all I want are the Dinobots and Blitzwing, after which my want list for Animated runs out.

So, Snarl is Slag. So what will Snarl be, now that the Triceratops Dinobot has his name? Sabreback?

(I refuse to accept him being called Striker. That name is made of fail.)

The_Damned
20th September 2008, 09:37 AM
they look awesome anyone know when they will be here?

Robzy
20th September 2008, 09:53 AM
:eek:

Man - these all look fantastic! I love Cyclonus, Hound, Inferno and the Legends - but where are the pics of COSMOS???

I also love the new Animated figs... Swindle and Blurr = *drool*

Copyright is for ideas and concepts. Trademarks are for names. Yep!

The Slag thing is due to sensitivities in the UK, 'slag' being a slang/swear word over there and all.Yeah, that's the reason! Slag is offensive to women... but what I don't understand is, a few years ago they made "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"... and got away with it - ("Shag" is actually an offensive word in the UK - just like the F word)!

Oh well, he shall be called Slag in my collection... same goes for Bombshell and Octane

GoktimusPrime
20th September 2008, 09:55 AM
Cyclonus looks bloody brilliant!! I love how they've given him Nightstick. Inferno looks really nice too. The others look alright. Cheetor's beast mode looks interesting but that robot mode kinda looks fail. The face looks far too feline to me. Hopefully it'll look better when transformed correctly (what is it with Hasbro not knowing how to transform their own toys?!).

Interesting decision to have Ravage packed in with Hound.
(said in See-Threepio voice): Interesting is hardly the word I would use.

The likely scenario is they cannot trademark Bombshell, probably due to somebody else holding the trademark (or something very similar) in the same category. A few years ago Hasbro had a female GI Joe figure they were going to name Bombshell. But due to them not being able to secure the trademark for that, they went with Bombstrike.

If somebody has secured a trademark, you can't just stick 'Autobot' or 'Decepticon' in front of the name for your own purposes, if you're wondering.
So call it Bombstrike or Bomb-blast then. Or better yet, Bomb-Burst, then it'd be a double G1 homage. Hasbro created the name "Shockblast" I don't see why they couldn't have done something similar for Bombshell.

The Slag thing is due to sensitivities in the UK, 'slag' being a slang/swear word over there and all.
I don't buy that.

While I'm aware of what "slag" means in colloquial British English, there's this thing called context. Had they called a female Transformer "Slag" then sure, that'd be kinda weird. But considering that "Slag" is in reference to a Dinobot flamethrower, then it's understandable. Some people may giggle, but they'd get over it.

Also consider that "Slag" was never an issue for Hasbro UK and Marvel UK during G1 and G2. Slag was a very prominent character who had a greater appearance in UK G1 canon than over in the US - heck, all the Dinobots had a more prominent appearance, and arguably better written too due to Simon Furman's personal fondness for the Dinobots (especially Grimlock, whom Furman admits is his all time favourite Transformer, not that we couldn't tell! ;)).

Also, negative connotations in colloquial British English never stopped Hasbro from creating the names "Night Slash Cheetor" and - wait for it - SLAPPER (which has the same meaning as slag in derogatory UK English!!). :D :)

Then there was "Windbreaker" and Hasbro's repeated penchant for using "Scattor"; etc. "Scat" means sh!t (from the Greek word σκατός (Skatos)). Scatology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scatology) is a branch of biomedical science dealing with the study of fecal excrement.

So...
Scattorshot = someone who shoots feces (could be appropriate for a TF with an ape/monkey alt mode :p)
Scattorbrain = <commence laughing now> :D

kup
20th September 2008, 10:04 AM
I read somewhere that the reason they are using Snarl instead of Slag is because Hasbro (Archer) does not like a character having the same name as a Cybertronian swear word.

I think he said so in the Botcon panel but I need to check up on it. However it does follow the trend just like Downshift, Tankor, etc.

Zippo
20th September 2008, 10:08 AM
Man, they just can't up and change a characters name!! Expecially if in the future they release that character and have to find his name somewhere else..

Loving the Legends and the Universe Deluxes, as well as Animated Swindle.
Inferno should be a deluxe as well though.

Robzy
20th September 2008, 10:13 AM
Man, they just can't up and change a characters name!! Expecially if in the future they release that character and have to find his name somewhere else..QFT!!!

Imagine changing Darth Vader's name??! This is why I hate that 1 person has the ability to decide whether or not the name "Wheeljack" gets used! :mad:

autobreadticon
20th September 2008, 10:14 AM
loving the Robot heroes, they are getting more diverse this wave (RID and BM)!!!

i love how the classics line incorporates different designs for the characters from over the toylines, cyclonus looks like he is a mixmish of G1 and armada and inferno looks like the action master version

i think starscream premium is more whitter...

GoktimusPrime
20th September 2008, 10:19 AM
I read somewhere that the reason they are using Snarl instead of Slag is because Hasbro (Archer) does not like a character having the same name as a Cybertronian swear word.

I think he said so in the Botcon panel but I need to check up on it. However it does follow the trend just like Downshift, Tankor, etc.
*sigh* Archer needs to remember this thing called CONTEXT. After all, in English the word "Dick" can be a swear word or a perfectly acceptable name for a male.

http://www.paintyou.co.nz/uploads/images/dick-smith.jpg

Man, they just can't up and change a characters name!! Expecially if in the future they release that character and have to find his name somewhere else..
QFT!!!

Imagine changing Darth Vader's name??! This is why I hate that 1 person has the ability to decide whether or not the name "Wheeljack" gets used!
+1 qft :)

liegeprime
20th September 2008, 10:47 AM
I think they all look awesome, but you can be sure these are the same kind of exaggerated, touched up, unfortunately false, back-of-the-package pics we've seen on Universe and Classics, which cheapens the whole thing for me. http://www.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/sad/sad0020.gif

Hear, hear! I seriously doubt that the paint apps on these upcoming figures will be as splendid as what is shown. These are IMO not High res pics BUT high Touched up Pics ;). Anyways im getting em. They put Cyclonus in that size category and they make Galvatron into a puny figure!!! WTF!!:mad::mad:

MV75
20th September 2008, 11:00 AM
Now after blurry pictures and seeing these:

1. Cyclonus is now a must get. I really hope he gets the henkei treatment. No way Hasbro will do the mould justice anywhere near that picture in finished detail.
2. Hound looks far less classics mirage "lanky" in the hip area, so I do like the robot more now. I still hate the vehicle mode. That's not an army jeep.
3. Inferno looks much better. :)
4. The legends look great. I'm actually liking the animated bumblebee with g1 head, and how its transformation is similar to the original, and beachcombers square backed head. :D
5. Vector prime looks hella tough, I love it, but I do think I'd be HIGHLY dissapointed when I see the real paint apps.
6. What's that cruddy symbol doing on scourge? :p And you just know the paint apps won't compare to the cybertron version.

Pulse
20th September 2008, 01:34 PM
They put Cyclonus in that size category and they make Galvatron into a puny figure!!! WTF!!:mad::mad:

but aren't those 2 the same size?

Universe Deluxes: Starscream, Cyclonus, Hound, Cheetor

& all these people whinging about having to rename their figures cos Hasbro can't do it properly... *sigh* We've been renaming Rodimus into Hot Rod for years - It's just water off a duck's back... :D

loophole
20th September 2008, 01:54 PM
oh man oh man oh man i want the classics sooo bad espiacally Cyclonus always liked his alt mode:D

i dunno about Cheetor though his alt mode looks alright but bot mode not so much, i wonder if they will do more BW stuff wouldnt mind a Waspy done like that if they do it right of course

kup
20th September 2008, 02:13 PM
oh man oh man oh man i want the classics sooo bad espiacally Cyclonus always liked his alt mode:D

i dunno about Cheetor though his alt mode looks alright but bot mode not so much, i wonder if they will do more BW stuff wouldnt mind a Waspy done like that if they do it right of course

Rhinox with cartoon Chain gun :)

I think so. I do not agree with Galvatron's size but since they have done it that way there is no choice but to run with it. It would suck to no end to have Cyclonus (and possibly Scourge) towering over him.

kup
20th September 2008, 02:24 PM
Here it is:

Snarl was obviously designed to be the Animated incarnation of the Generation 1 Dinobot named Slag, and preproduction shots even bore that name. Hasbro holds the United States trademark for "Slag" unopposed, and renewed it as recently as Xmas 2007. As revealed by Hasbro representatives at BotCon 2008, they are not using "Slag" as a product name because it is a negative slang term in the United Kingdom (meaning, roughly, "slut") which might have affected toy sales. Let's hope they don't do another Slapper.

Archer is not reported as being directly responsible but it does follow the trend of unnecesary name changes in the past which he has personaly taken responsability for. He was also the head speaker in that Panel.

FFN
20th September 2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah, that's the reason! Slag is offensive to women... but what I don't understand is, a few years ago they made "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"... and got away with it - ("Shag" is actually an offensive word in the UK - just like the F word)!

Oh well, he shall be called Slag in my collection... same goes for Bombshell and Octane Might have to do with the fact that Transformers is a childrens toy line. Austin Powers is not for children.

(what is it with Hasbro not knowing how to transform their own toys?!). I've often wondered this, and I came to the conclusion that as a big corporation, they likely farm out their photography to an expensive studio that usually does advertising and modelling photography. Big companies have the idea that being a big client for exclusive, expensive studios makes them look better to investors and partners.

So call it Bombstrike or Bomb-blast then. Or better yet, Bomb-Burst, then it'd be a double G1 homage. Hasbro created the name "Shockblast" I don't see why they couldn't have done something similar for Bombshell. It's down to whatever is most memorable or most fitting for the character. Bomb doesn't really suggest the character OR the insect mode he assumes. But Shell does, because of the insect connections and the fact he's the one that fires cerebro shells at other TFs to control them.

Same with the now-defunct stand-in name of Shockblast. You remember the Shock, but not the Wave.

I don't buy that.

While I'm aware of what "slag" means in colloquial British English, there's this thing called context. Had they called a female Transformer "Slag" then sure, that'd be kinda weird. But considering that "Slag" is in reference to a Dinobot flamethrower, then it's understandable. Some people may giggle, but they'd get over it. *Shrugs* I don't like it either, but Hasbro is just covering all of it's bases now that Transformers is much more well-known. You would be surprised at how people get upset over something popular and mainstream as opposed to something obscure and niche.

Also, negative connotations in colloquial British English never stopped Hasbro from creating the names "Night Slash Cheetor" and - wait for it - SLAPPER (which has the same meaning as slag in derogatory UK English!!). :D :) As I recall, none of the toys named Slapper were released in the markets where that name would be recognised as british slang. The fact that they've not used 'Slapper' since that 2003 redeco of Bazooka suggests Hasbro's US team became aware of what the term means in its UK market.

Night Slash Cheetor is abit harder to take out of context than Slapper and Slag.

Then there was "Windbreaker" and Hasbro's repeated penchant for using "Scattor"; etc. "Scat" means sh!t (from the Greek word σκατός (Skatos)). Scatology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scatology) is a branch of biomedical science dealing with the study of fecal excrement.

So...
Scattorshot = someone who shoots feces (could be appropriate for a TF with an ape/monkey alt mode :p)
Scattorbrain = <commence laughing now> :D We've discussed this before, but scattorbrain (or scatterbrain or scatter-brain) is an english language term for somebody who is confused, thoughtless and incapable of paying attention.

Windbreaker is the US term for what we in the commonwealth call a windcheater: a (usually) nylon hooded jacket to keep out the rain. Apparently it's a genericised trademark in the US and Japan. One assumes the character was named such because the name suggested somebody so fast he goes against the wind.

liegeprime
20th September 2008, 04:47 PM

Which is what I meant.... These two should be biggeeeeeer!!! Galvy Should be Leader Size, and Cyclonus Ultra Size!! Maaaaan, Only in G1 do I tolerate Hasbro's choices in regards to Class sizing of Figures!!:mad: Its why I didn't get the deluxe size Bbee in Animated and settled for the Activators ( which is pretty darn better IMO). Im still thinking with regards to Galvy, they really screwed us up on the size thingie. They make Powerglide an Ultra ( he's frickin bigger than Jetfire which is really weird looking on display.). Sigh, and even though Im ranting off against this sizing , IM still getting ( or got these figs) ... drats this weakness!!!:mad::mad:

Robzy
20th September 2008, 05:20 PM
Yeah, that's the reason! Slag is offensive to women... but what I don't understand is, a few years ago they made "Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me"... and got away with it - ("Shag" is actually an offensive word in the UK - just like the F word)!

Might have to do with the fact that Transformers is a childrens toy line. Austin Powers is not for children.True - but what about all the "Austin Powers" Advertising and TV Commercials they are potentially exposed to? I mean, you can't just use taboo words in the public domain and say - "It's not for kids, so it's okay!".

I think this is just a cop out anyway - for God's sake Hasbro... just call him SLAG!!! :mad:

Sky Shadow
20th September 2008, 05:59 PM
I do not agree with Galvatron's size but since they have done it that way there is no choice but to run with it. It would suck to no end to have Cyclonus (and possibly Scourge) towering over him.

Unless Galvatron could fit in Cyclonus's cockpit so he can shake his fist at passing Dinobots. That would be awesome.

Pipesqueak
20th September 2008, 06:29 PM
The great and the good:
Inferno looks like it could jump straight into my top ten of all time (big call I know). The alt mode is just so good. Cyclonus and Hound are must haves and the g1 legends look cute. Excited about animated Blurr and Swindle too.

On the downside:
What is that weird fluorescent green they've used on robot heroes perceptor?
Worse, the vector prime repaint, on which the black, silver and blue look great, is completely ruined by that horrid brown on the legs.

Question: What's animated bumblebee doing there? Is that like a premium version with a more uniform yellow paint app?

GoktimusPrime
20th September 2008, 06:45 PM
But there's nothing inherently offensive about the word "Slag"!!

The word "shag" isn't necessarily offensive either (e.g.: Shaggy from Scooby-Doo; not really an offensive name). As I said, it's all about context. "The Spy Who Shagged Me" is controversial because in that context they're clearly using the word "shag" as a vulgar synonym for copulation. You don't need to be conversant in UK slang to get that (I'm sure most non-UK audiences fully understand what Austin Powers means when he talks about "shagging").

The words "slag" and "slapper" aren't necessarily offensive too, it all depends on the context in which you use it. It's not like the word "slut" which doesn't have a non-negative meaning or at least, a meaning that wouldn't be widely considered suitable for a children's toy line. dictionary.com definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slut): "an immoral or dissolute woman; prostitute"

The word "slag" on the other hand is a perfectly acceptable word. In fact, the name was originally used for Transformers for its original and true meaning.
From dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slag):
"A product of smelting, containing, mostly as silicates, the substances not sought to be produced as matte or metal, and having a lower specific gravity than the latter; -- called also, esp. in iron smelting, cinder. The slag of iron blast furnaces is essentially silicate of calcium, magnesium, and aluminium; that of lead and copper smelting furnaces contains iron."

*Shrugs* I don't like it either, but Hasbro is just covering all of it's bases now that Transformers is much more well-known. You would be surprised at how people get upset over something popular and mainstream as opposed to something obscure and niche.
Yeah but this is going to the point of being unreasonable. At the Sydney Royal Easter Show - an annual family] event with lots of children around, there are lots of agricultural, horticultural and animal displays - one of which is a dog show with signs clearly using the word "bitch" (e.g.: "First Class Bitches"). It's not vulgar or rude, they're using the word bitch in its proper and appropriate context. I'm sure there might be some people who'd take offence to it... but what are they going to do about it? Complain? They could, but I doubt it would go very far. You can't take action against the Royal Easter Show for using the word bitch in its proper context. (-_-)

Likewise other Transformer names which fans like to giggle at (with the exception of Scattor, it does not mean scatter unless you're illiterate) aren't really offensive because they're not used in inappropriate contexts.
e.g.:
+ Windbreaker: the one name in TFs that everyone likes to laugh at, but it's not as if anyone's ever made a serious complaint against Hasbro for it. The name is meant to be a reference to its aerodynamics as a sports car.
+ Night Slash Cheetor: sure, UK fans laughed their sides off at this name, but again, no serious complaints were made against Hasbro about it afaik.
+ Slapper: Much like Windbreaker, an unfortunate name choice but again noone's going to sue Hasbro for it.

Should parents cover up their children's eyes whenever they go by or into a Dick Smiths store or product? Should we censor anyone with a surname like Bush to protect children from being exposed to what can be a vulgar term? In that case I think we'd be censoring at least 1/3 of the English language... (-_-)

As much as some of us may like to have a bit of a laugh here and there at some names, so long as they're not used in an inappropriate context then it oughtn't be an issue.

autobreadticon
20th September 2008, 06:56 PM
why does legend starscream's face look so sour :confused:

Pulse
20th September 2008, 07:00 PM
I do not agree with Galvatron's size but since they have done it that way there is no choice but to run with it. It would suck to no end to have Cyclonus (and possibly Scourge) towering over him.

I'm sure we all would have preferred Galvy to be in the same size class as Megs but eh... Galvy & Cyclonus being the same size is ok with me... :)

Oh & that Scourge/Predacon Bruticus is looking like he's not gonna be a new mould but rather a repaint of the Cyb figure (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=9907) which for me = pass :rolleyes:

Paulbot
20th September 2008, 08:00 PM
Unless Galvatron could fit in Cyclonus's cockpit so he can shake his fist at passing Dinobots. That would be awesome.

:D

Eazy D
20th September 2008, 09:48 PM
I'll probably get called a heretic for this but I'm somewhat dissapointed in Cyclonus. I've always loved the character and had a big thing for the G1 toy but I don't like the fact that classics Cyclonus has such a chunky alt mode. The robot mode is fine - very cartoon accurate - but the alt mode just looks stubby and there are gaps everywhere in it. I genuinely prefer the G1 alt mode. I don't mind the fact that Cyclonus is deluxe sized but I'm still smarting over the fact that Galvy is a deluxe. All I ever wanted was a voyager sized Galvy to put up against my Prime/Ultra magnus/Titanium rodimus. I get annoyed just thinking about Galvatron.

Lord_Zed
21st September 2008, 01:49 AM

Well said!

While I to would have liked Galvatron to be a little larger the fact that TF's have never been in scale and frequently change scale make his size not that much of an issue for me. So often Hasbro make a big toy that is really just a small simple toy scalled up with some electronics added (Silverbolt looks to be a good example of this). Ironicly the new Galvatron mould is intricate enough that it would have made a nice voyager, doh well.

So far I only have 2 Universe toys Octane and Galvatron, I prefer Galvatron of the 2 he's pretty cool. Neither are my favourte classics style toy, but they aren't at the bottom either.

Tober
21st September 2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah, Cyclonus's alt mode is really chunky, he should look sleek and streamlined. Pity, cos his robot mode looks great and doesn't look like it would have suffered from a more streamlined plane mode.

The only one I'm really interested in is Ravage who's only pictured in his crumpled box alt mode. :p

Whoever designed Cheetor needs a new career parh...although the cheetah's head is nice tho.

GoktimusPrime
21st September 2008, 09:08 AM
meh, Universe Cyclonus' alt mode looks fine to me in those pics. Remember that Classics/Universe isn't about making G1/G2-accurate replicas (that's what reissues are for :)) but to make a new line/series for G1/G2 (and now BW) characters. A "Transformers Generation 3" if you will.

Universe Cyclonus' jet mode doesn't look substantially more or less accurate to his original form than most other Classics/Universe Transformer.

Soundwarp
21st September 2008, 01:37 PM
OMG Cyclonus rocks my world!

FFN
21st September 2008, 06:45 PM
While for the purposes of my collection, I would have preferred Cybertron Scourge to be repainted as G1 Hun-Grr, I enjoy the awesomely obscure homage of RID Bruticus. As Walky said on the Wiki, it beats out Acid Storm as the most unlikely homage of this year.

kup
21st September 2008, 07:31 PM
While for the purposes of my collection, I would have preferred Cybertron Scourge to be repainted as G1 Hun-Grr, I enjoy the awesomely obscure homage of RID Bruticus. As Walky said on the Wiki, it beats out Acid Storm as the most unlikely homage of this year.

That's not a bad idea although Scourge looks a bit too organic for Hun-Grr.

Thanatos
21st September 2008, 08:34 PM
Interesting, since I love the Cyb Scourge mold so much its actually on display with my classics :P

MV75
21st September 2008, 08:53 PM

Yes, maybe between those two, but I think the overall unlikely has to be inferno. Unlike those two, they did a whole new freaking mould instead of trying to fit names.

A big brick firetruck has to be the most obscure thing to appear in this line.

Thanatos
21st September 2008, 09:01 PM
Inferno truly fills me with joy. I was huge into firetrucks as a kid.

Lord_Zed
21st September 2008, 09:38 PM
That's not a bad idea although Scourge looks a bit too organic for Hun-Grr.

What about Sinnertwin? The Terrorcons never seem to get any love yet there are a fairfew monster moulds about these days.

Pulse
21st September 2008, 11:18 PM

& with a different accessory, we may even get a Botcon Grapple... :)

kup
21st September 2008, 11:22 PM

If we do get a Botcon Grapple, I would be peed off :mad:

He should be retail.

STL
21st September 2008, 11:57 PM
Inferno w/out the wings on his head and a ladder do very little for me. I don't mind Cyclonus but he could've been better. Hound's the pick for me which is disappointing cos I want a good Decepticon in this line!

And the Predacon Dog really is a joke. I mean, it's nice but there were better options in the form of Hungrr or Sinnertwin. I would've taken either not some pointless BW toy.

iceburn
22nd September 2008, 12:05 AM
Inferno w/out the wings on his head and a ladder do very little for me. I don't mind Cyclonus but he could've been better. Hound's the pick for me which is disappointing cos I want a good Decepticon in this line!

And the Predacon Dog really is a joke. I mean, it's nice but there were better options in the form of Hungrr or Sinnertwin. I would've taken either not some pointless BW toy.

But hungrr and sinnertwin are 2 headed creatures...predacon dog...is 3 headed...and it's not BW but RID Bruticus (Predacon Dog)

I've just got that figure and loving it...but transformation is abit weird

STL
22nd September 2008, 12:10 AM
But hungrr and sinnertwin are 2 headed creatures...predacon dog...is 3 headed...and it's not BW but RID Bruticus (Predacon Dog)

I've just got that figure and loving it...but transformation is abit weird

But given that they've given Hungrr and legends mode on the mold, its just lazy to give it to some random nothing that no one cares about. Good toy or not, there are some toys who ppl just don't give a crap about. I love me Gasskunk/Nightglider but I sure as hell would not want to have them homaged when a G1 choice is better.

And it seems you've broken into BWs w/ the Optimal toy. :p

I should mention too that Swindle annoys me, he's nowhere near as cool as his cartoon self. The others look decent though.

iceburn
22nd September 2008, 12:13 AM

Just 1 for now...and with other repaints and moulds that exist in the BW series.

Beast_Wars_Superior
22nd September 2008, 01:19 AM
So is the 3 headed one Scourge? It looks like Scourge from Cybertron, but he wasn't a Predacon...

griffin
22nd September 2008, 01:27 AM
The RiD Bruticus toy was originally intended for Beast Machines, and even appears to have some sort of mechanism missing/gutted from the final production line figure, suggesting a last minute cost cutting measure to make the one-off figure more profitable in its rather limited release in RiD packaging. The Megahead Megatron and Air Attack Optimus were similar figures, that didn't see production before BM was axed, but was far enough in the 18 month production process to force its release in some way, reguardless of the current series or packaging. I'm guessing the Titanium WW Prowl and Grimlock are a similar story, with a (limited) store exclusive release being financially better than cutting their losses on toy designs that were right near the end of the design and production process. Even if they made a loss on those two figures, they may have lost more by not using the moulds that were created before the line was axed (probably the most expensive step in the creation process).

griffin
22nd September 2008, 01:30 AM
So is the 3 headed one Scourge? It looks like Scourge from Cybertron, but he wasn't a Predacon...

The original toy was Scourge from Cybertron, but this Universe recolour is apparently being called Bruticus, which was a deluxe sized toy (cerberos dog) packaged and released during the 2001 series 'Robots in Disguise', but as I just posted above, it was a toy meant for Beast Machines, and as such should be a Vehicon, but could still be classed as a Predacon, due to it being in the 'Beast Era', and being more markettable that way in the 25th Anniversary sub-line.

Saintly
22nd September 2008, 09:46 AM
so when are these coming out? :)

Paulbot
22nd September 2008, 11:24 AM
it was a toy meant for Beast Machines, and as such should be a Vehicon, but could still be classed as a Predacon, due to it being in the 'Beast Era', and being more markettable that way in the 25th Anniversary sub-line.

Well technically if had been a Beast Machines figure, Bruticus would have been a Maximal given the anti-organic nature of BW Megatron's Vehicons. He does fit better with RID Megatron's "Predacon" forces.

And I agree some more homages to the Terrorcons would be nice.

griffin
22nd September 2008, 12:02 PM
Well technically if had been a Beast Machines figure, Bruticus would have been a Maximal given the anti-organic nature of BW Megatron's Vehicons. He does fit better with RID Megatron's "Predacon" forces.

That is true. Although, there was a bit of a mythical beast theme appearing at the end of Beast Machines, and as much as the Maximals had the animal theme, a cerberos dog doesn't sound too friendly, or Maximal. Since it was written up as Megatron's guard dog, it would have been a mere pet to him. An insignificant animal. But it would be odd for someone like Megatron who loathed anything organic or animalistic to have something like Bruticus by choice.
I was maybe thinking that it could have been a left over of the Transmetal 2's to go with Dragon Megatron as a Mythical Beast. That series of toys appeared to be wrapped up rather quickly, with only 17 (!) toys released in that year of toys.
Amazing isn't it, that 9 years ago, we had less than a 10th of the toys released that we do now each year. Would have made for a great time to catch up on older figures...

GoktimusPrime
22nd September 2008, 12:05 PM
The Maximals had Battle Unicorn, and unicorns are evil in the world of Transformers...

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/0/0b/Professor_princess.jpg/250px-Professor_princess.jpg

*shudder* very evil! :p

Paulbot
22nd September 2008, 12:25 PM
Maybe if the Bruticus toy had been a Maximal in Beast Machines he would have had a name like Fluffy (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Fluffy)? (Who told you about Fluffy?)

i_amtrunks
22nd September 2008, 12:32 PM

I'll happily second that. Made me as dizzy as a schoolgirl seeing pics of Inferno. :D

Tommy K
22nd September 2008, 04:37 PM
why does houd come with ravage?

MV75
22nd September 2008, 05:14 PM
G1 Episodes 2 & 3. ;)

Sam
22nd September 2008, 09:24 PM
Some of those figures look pretty good!

FFN
23rd September 2008, 01:01 AM
why does houd come with ravage? Probably a reference to More Than Meets the Eye... or maybe there was some spare budget.

griffin
23rd September 2008, 01:10 AM
It was mentioned at BotCon (if I recall correctly) at the Hasbro panel that it is indeed a homage to that Gen1 episode with Ravage hitching a ride on Hound.

FFN
23rd September 2008, 01:18 AM
Yes, maybe between those two, but I think the overall unlikely has to be inferno. Unlike those two, they did a whole new freaking mould instead of trying to fit names.

A big brick firetruck has to be the most obscure thing to appear in this line. Not really, we got Energon Inferno back in 2003. Fire trucks aren't a common TF form, but given Hasbro's stance for Universe, a new-mold Inferno was alot more likely than RID Bruticus in ANY form.

If we do get a Botcon Grapple, I would be peed off :mad:

He should be retail. I wish people would stop thinking potential redecos or retools of Universe are destined for BotCon just because of the 2007 set. It's a fact that the 2007 set was planned out in 2006, probably before wave 1 of Classics was even released in stores (judging by the time needed to design decos and produce the toys in time for BotCon that year). As Hasbro only had Classics to fill out the product line gap between Cybertron and the Movie, they didn't intend to continue the line, so they thought they might as well let BotCon use them so the other seekers would be available.

Given the unending shitstorm over that decision, I doubt Hasbro will let conventions do original-style G1 characters again.

But given that they've given Hungrr and legends mode on the mold, its just lazy to give it to some random nothing that no one cares about. Good toy or not, there are some toys who ppl just don't give a crap about. I love me Gasskunk/Nightglider but I sure as hell would not want to have them homaged when a G1 choice is better.

I should mention too that Swindle annoys me, he's nowhere near as cool as his cartoon self. The others look decent though. But Universe isn't just about G1, nor is G1 the only important thing in Transformers.

I mean, expand your horizons and appreciate the obscure, the more maligned or less-appreciated parts of Transformers :) I know I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing Armada Hot Shot done properly.

Bruticus was a RID character, btw. (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Bruticus_(RID))

GoktimusPrime
23rd September 2008, 11:02 AM
Not really, we got Energon Inferno back in 2003. Fire trucks aren't a common TF form, but given Hasbro's stance for Universe, a new-mold Inferno was alot more likely than RID Bruticus in ANY form.
Cybertron Prime/Galaxy Convoy & Animated Prime are fire engines too. :)
But these are all "fantasy" (i.e.: futuristic/Cybertronian) looking vehicles. I think Universe Inferno is the first realistic looking fire engine we've had since Fire Convoy (RiD Prime; Hino Brandbilar fire engine. G1 Inferno was also a Hino - possibly older model Brandbilar, not sure)

TheDirtyDigger
23rd September 2008, 11:15 AM
Another Classics Starscream??
Cyclonus looks great except his legs are a little skinny.
Hound looks awesome. Wait till you see how Ravage transforms.
Inferno and Blurr look excellent as well.
Beachcomber and Brawn are a little small. Would have liked to see them in scale with Classics BB and CJ.

EDIT: Who's the little Decepticon that looks like Outback?

Pulse
23rd September 2008, 12:53 PM
I wish people would stop thinking potential redecos or retools of Universe are destined for BotCon just because of the 2007 set. It's a fact that the 2007 set was planned out in 2006, probably before wave 1 of Classics was even released in stores (judging by the time needed to design decos and produce the toys in time for BotCon that year). As Hasbro only had Classics to fill out the product line gap between Cybertron and the Movie, they didn't intend to continue the line, so they thought they might as well let BotCon use them so the other seekers would be available.

Given the unending shitstorm over that decision, I doubt Hasbro will let conventions do original-style G1 characters again.

I (like many others) will always believe Hasbro should have left Ramjet for Botcon with the other 2 Coneheads while Skywarp/Thundercracker should have been released retail in a 2-pack... *shakes head*

They really screwed up badly on that front... :rolleyes: (There are times like this when fandom input can go a long way... )

JuzMel
23rd September 2008, 01:05 PM
So many photos, so confusing, wait till they arrive then decide. :D

However, loving Legends bumblebee, beach comber, cyclonus, hound and inferno

MV75
23rd September 2008, 03:17 PM
More inferno/vector prime.

Make sure to click on the pictures tabs:

http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/universe-classics-20-autobots-262/inferno-1915/
http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/universe-classics-20-autobots-262/vector-prime-1949/

EDIT: note the real toy pictures. ;)

Paulbot
23rd September 2008, 03:27 PM
The real toy pics look a bit better. The red looks more Inferno-red to me then on the 'enhanced' pics. It's a very nice toy.

MV75
23rd September 2008, 03:46 PM
Yea, it really worked against them for inferno. The real deal looks tons better.

As much as I love vector prime, not this deco I don't. Too much brown in robot mode.

i_amtrunks
23rd September 2008, 04:31 PM
The only thing that I'd change on inferno is swapping his silly looking "water blast" missile for a normal one.

He looks just fine without his shoulder wings and ladder!

The darker normal shots make him look even more solid and like he is diecast (I know, I'm dreaming).

STL
23rd September 2008, 06:13 PM
Another Classics Starscream??

Let's not look custom fodder in the mouth. :p

TheDirtyDigger
23rd September 2008, 06:16 PM
Let's not look custom fodder in the mouth. :p

Haha I so wasn't. I'm trying to track down about 3 Acid Storms atm for some ideas I have. This will just make getting them easier.

iceburn
23rd September 2008, 11:18 PM
here's my Predacon Dog...(think it's mistransformed)

http://images.icebu12n.multiply.com/image/3/photos/8/500x500/10/P9210287.JPG?et=LmXPsOgwz8KXlP%2CLAbY8%2Cw&nmid=105627634

Soundwarp
24th September 2008, 09:01 AM
Man where is VP's Goatee

iceburn
24th September 2008, 09:17 AM
what or who is VP?

Pulse
24th September 2008, 10:34 AM
what or who is VP?

VP = Vector Prime in the same way that UM = Ultra Magnus :)

griffin
24th September 2008, 12:41 PM
EDIT: Who's the little Decepticon that looks like Outback?

You talking about Animated Swindle?

Pulse
24th September 2008, 06:58 PM
BBTS already has these up for pre-order (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/bbts-universe-hound-cheetor-cyclonus-more-for-preorder/14008) (*pre-orders 3 more off his list * :))

autobreadticon
24th September 2008, 11:59 PM
these toys are sucking the life out of me, October-November so much good stuff on the market

TheDirtyDigger
25th September 2008, 05:02 PM
You talking about Animated Swindle?

Ah yep. Thanks. Haven't seen too many episodes but it's growing on me.

Pulse
27th September 2008, 01:08 AM
& we have real/un-photoshopped pics of Hound & Ravage (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-universe-hound-and-ravage-photos-165891/)

Hound = full of win! :)

Ravage = didn't think they could improve on G1 Ravage but they're trying... :)

STL
27th September 2008, 01:11 AM
Oh come to me Hound! Come to me!

jaydisc
27th September 2008, 01:11 AM
I can't but help think that Hound looks a bit more suited to Animated than Universe.

STL
27th September 2008, 01:15 AM
I can't but help think that Hound looks a bit more suited to Animated than Universe.

Get ur Animated googles off already.

jaydisc
27th September 2008, 01:21 AM
He just seems a bit rounded, accentuated and stylized.

STL
27th September 2008, 01:25 AM
He just seems a bit rounded, accentuated and stylized.

You talking about your goggles or the toy here? :p

Tober
27th September 2008, 03:26 AM
So is it just me or have Ravage's hind legs been screwed up again? :confused:

MV75
27th September 2008, 07:09 AM
Ravage doesn't look that different to the g1 version in that picture.

Paulbot
27th September 2008, 08:55 AM
While I don't think the toy itself is quite in the Animated style, that shade of green does make it look like it's from Animated.

Saintly
29th September 2008, 05:51 PM
these toys will be on general release around this country as opposed to online stores for the US

kup
29th September 2008, 06:27 PM
While I don't think the toy itself is quite in the Animated style, that shade of green does make it look like it's from Animated.

Agreed, that is what I thought when I saw it.

Let's hope for a Henkei with the darker army green.

jaydisc
29th September 2008, 06:36 PM
I think perhaps seeing him around the same time as seeing Swindle:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/swindlehound.jpg

They just seem similarly stylized, especially in the fact that Hound's alt form doesn't resemble anything I've seen (except maybe the VAMP :D)

Yeah, the color doesn't help, but I think the weapon makes it more so.... it's very Animated-like.

Pulse
29th September 2008, 08:30 PM
Maybe, but it's not gonna stop you from acquiring it... :D

Pulse
30th September 2008, 04:56 PM
Sorry about the double post but do these non-photoshopped pics of Inferno (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=10218) make him look very blocky to you?

Paulbot
30th September 2008, 05:10 PM
Mistransformations are at play. The Hasbro images at the bottom haven't completed his lowertorso which makes his chest look smaller. The "other" images have the panels on the arms in the wrong places which makes him look wider.

Eitherway he is blocky in that his chest is a large truck front.

kup
30th September 2008, 05:41 PM
Sorry about the double post but do these non-photoshopped pics of Inferno (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=10218) make him look very blocky to you?

I don't like Inferno in that pic. He seems very plain.

They could have colored his emergency lights instead of leaving them clear.

Firecracker
30th September 2008, 05:49 PM
If the measurement of 23cm is correct Inferno would be very close to Powerglide in height. Impressive.

jaydisc
30th September 2008, 05:53 PM
In Package shots from AC Toys posted at Seibertron (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/in-package-shots-inferno-vector-prime/14069/)

Same robo/alt mode shots.... just added the package shot.

So, is this the first original-mold Voyager of the Universe line?

Gutsman Heavy
30th September 2008, 06:18 PM
I believe so

i_amtrunks
1st October 2008, 09:50 AM
Needs a ladder...

Cant wait to get Inferno, he was always my fav G1 figure.

i_amtrunks
3rd October 2008, 10:55 AM
Inferno a G2 25th Anniversary figure?

According to Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10216390) he is:

Prepare to roll into battle with this Generation 2 Series Autoboto ally! Converts from robot mode to fire-rescue-vehicle mode. It's an awesome figure to add to your Transformers collection.

Transformers Universe Voyager - Inferno:

* In robot mode, blast at the enemy with his firing arm cannon
* Features a launching "water" blast in fire-rescue-vehicle mode
* Ages 5 and up

Sounds interesting...

Please let there be some more G2 figures getting some love!

Paulbot
3rd October 2008, 11:11 AM
That's a bit of an easy one to call a G2 toy since G2 Inferno wasn't that different from the G1 version (compared to Sideswipe, Ramjet, Jazz etc).

G2 Inferno did have a new missile launcher stuck on top of the ladder... and so does the Universe toy... so that works :D

I would like to see the new Sideswipe get a G2 colours repaint.

Pulse
3rd October 2008, 02:04 PM
G2... G1... Eh? makes no difference :D

I didn't think G2 would be getting any luv in this 25th Anniv. line :) (I really don't think they're gonna be celebrating G2's birthday in years to come... :D)

iceburn
3rd October 2008, 02:24 PM
qn: how can G2 figures be classified as a 25th Anniversary line?

jaydisc
3rd October 2008, 02:25 PM
qn: how can G2 figures be classified as a 25th Anniversary line?

Pretty sure they're not celebrating the 25th anniversary of "g1" but of the "transformer" and the sub-line is intended to be across ALL lines of TFs, hence the Cheetor and other non-G1 figs.

iceburn
3rd October 2008, 02:36 PM
ahh make sense, brain damaged now at work

GoktimusPrime
3rd October 2008, 05:03 PM
I agree with jaydisc - this is a commemoration of the Transformers franchise/brand as a whole.

iceburn
3rd October 2008, 05:05 PM
so i guess the upcoming Botcon will stay around the same trend then

kup
3rd October 2008, 05:30 PM

On that I expect repaints of the new Universe molds. I am hoping for a Punch/Counterpunch :)

MV75
3rd October 2008, 06:41 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-official-in-and-out-of-package-images-of-transformers-universe-25th-anniversary-wave-1-165935/

Pictures and junk.

Cheetor is looking better now. As with inferno, the shopped picture looks crap compared to the real thing. :D

Brawn has green wheels? OH COME ON HASBRO.

SilverDragon
3rd October 2008, 06:58 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-official-in-and-out-of-package-images-of-transformers-universe-25th-anniversary-wave-1-165935/

Pictures and junk.

Cheetor is looking better now. As with inferno, the shopped picture looks crap compared to the real thing. :D

Brawn has green wheels? OH COME ON HASBRO.

I like the look of Cheetor, even if he's more BM than BW. I don't get the shuriken, though. Where do they store in his beast mode? Did they make too many for Animated Prowl and so decided to give them to Cheetor?

I agree. Silly Hasbro. At least we can repaint the wheels! :D

Golden Phoenix
3rd October 2008, 09:52 PM

Maybe they will do a Tigertron Retooling of Cheetor

dirge
4th October 2008, 12:30 AM
Maybe they will do a Tigertron Retooling of Cheetor

It's Tigatron, BTW. Yet for some reason, it's Tigerhawk. Don't worry, this catches a lot of ppl out :rolleyes:

They'll do a repaint, not a retool. Just as the original Tigatron is a straight repaint of Cheetor.

GoktimusPrime
4th October 2008, 09:28 AM
The funny thing is that when Tigatron first came out, people frequently mispelt it as Tigertron (understandably, because he's a tiger, not an Indonesian 3 :p). Then after people got used to spelling it correctly as Tigatron, Tigerhawk came out and then people started mispelling it as "Tigahawk." Took folks a while to get used to "Tigatron" and "Tigerhawk." :)

In Japan he's called Tigerfalcon or Tigafalcon - it can be spelt either way since it's adapted from Japanese Katakana (タイガーファルコン). =D

Golden Phoenix
6th October 2008, 11:22 AM
It's Tigatron, BTW. Yet for some reason, it's Tigerhawk. Don't worry, this catches a lot of ppl out :rolleyes:

They'll do a repaint, not a retool. Just as the original Tigatron is a straight repaint of Cheetor.

They should though because now Cheetor looks like a cheetah and not like a generic big cat. They need to just fatten the head and upper body a bit. Maybe mis-transform him so he has a straighter back or something

FFN
6th October 2008, 11:28 AM

Pictures and junk.

Brawn has green wheels? OH COME ON HASBRO. I was informed that the wheel thing was due to the fact the Legends toys are limited to about 2 plastic colours.

dirge
6th October 2008, 11:46 AM
They should though because now Cheetor looks like a cheetah and not like a generic big cat. They need to just fatten the head and upper body a bit.

He was meant to look like a cheetah back in BW, too :D

I agree, but I doubt they'll modify the mould. Look at some of the Ultra Magnus toys we've seen down the years.

I was informed that the wheel thing was due to the fact the Legends toys are limited to about 2 plastic colours.

Fair enough... but then you'd think the wheels would be top of the priority list for paint apps?

STL
6th October 2008, 11:50 AM
Fair enough... but then you'd think the wheels would be top of the priority list for paint apps?

I'd have thought so too but they seem not to have consistency as to who gets the wheel paint apps treatment. I was hoping Takara would fix up Classics 2.0 Prowl but they didn't. :( I wonder what's the design decision behind it..

turtle boy
6th October 2008, 12:00 PM
I love Infurno to bits... And why is Bombshell named Hardshell?

MV75
6th October 2008, 12:06 PM
I was informed that the wheel thing was due to the fact the Legends toys are limited to about 2 plastic colours.

Now this is what I'll use when people roll out the "Hasbro want to use realistic vehicles" comments. :p No truck has green wheels that match that shade of green paintjob.

Also, to make black plastic is the same cost of green plastic. ;)

But I'd say it's more to do with using the same injection mould.

Pulse
6th October 2008, 12:34 PM
I love Inferno to bits... And why is Bombshell named Hardshell?

For the same reason Shockwave was called "Shockblast" for a number of years, Hasbro lost the trademark to that name so they made up a new one...

turtle boy
6th October 2008, 04:05 PM
For the same reason Shockwave was called "Shockblast" for a number of years, Hasbro lost the trademark to that name so they made up a new one...

Lame.. When you think about it, the name Bombshell, as are most names in transformers. But all they are, are 2 words used to make up one. So all they have to do is put a space in between the name and hey presto, Bomb Shell. And how can you loose the trade mark to a name that you came up with... It's stupid.:mad:

sifun
6th October 2008, 04:15 PM
brawn looks cheap with no coloured wheels.

jaydisc
6th October 2008, 04:19 PM
Don't the four images here perfectly sum up the whole Hasbro False Advertising complaint?

http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/universe-classics-20-legends-autobots-269/brawn-1861/

Paulbot
6th October 2008, 04:29 PM
In package Brawn still looks good, but the vehicle mode looks a lot more realistic in the photoshopped image.

Edit: And I notice he's mistransformed in the package with his hands up (and his shoulders down) for some reason.

Pulse
6th October 2008, 05:20 PM
Lame.. When you think about it, the name Bombshell, as are most names in transformers. But all they are, are 2 words used to make up one. So all they have to do is put a space in between the name and hey presto, Bomb Shell. And how can you loose the trade mark to a name that you came up with... It's stupid.:mad:

Or look what they've done with Ratchet = Ratchet is now Autobot Ratchet (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS15304&mode=retail&picture=in) (The perfect solution :))

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2008, 05:50 PM
turtle boy: It's happens when Hasbro stops using the name and another toy company then purchases the right to that name. They may not necessarily use that name (which is why you may not see another toy with the name "Bombshell" on it), but it does mean that they currently hold the rights to it.

What companies will sometimes do when this happens is to modify the name to get around it. For example, "Autobot Jazz," "Decepticon Brawl," "Autobot Ratchet," "Cybertron Perceptor," "Decepticon Frenzy" et al. Now sometimes simply adding "Autobot" or "Decepticon" to the name isn't enough - all depending on the nature of the toy and the copyright being held by the current holder. For example in most TF lines Hasbro are able to use "Autobot Jazz" but they weren't allowed to do this with Alternators - possibly because Alternators is also seen as a model car line, not just an action figure line, and the name "Jazz" probably already belongs to any toy company producing a replica of the Honda Jazz. As a result Hasbro used Jazz's Japanese name "Meister" for the Alternator.

This was probably also the case with Shockwave, unable to simply call it "Decepticon Shockwave" they called him "Shockblast" for Alternators and Energon. Hasbro also cannot use the name "Devastator" for Transformers but they can use it for Star Wars, as Lucas currently owns the name (it's the name of a Star Destroyer) - I'm guessing that could be why Energon Devastator was called "Constructicon Maximus" and movie Devastator was called "Decepticon Brawl."

Now my guess is that Hasbro are in a position where they can't get away with using the name "Decepticon Bombshell" or "Insecticon Bombshell" so they've had to come up with some other alternative - being to either change the word "bomb" or "shell" - and it looks like they've chosen the former. They could just call the toy "Insecticon," which is what they called Robot Heroes Shrapnel.

"Hardshell" isn't the best, but it sure beats "Rodimus Major." *extreme.shudder*

http://transformers.iespana.es/transformers/rodimusmajor_a.jpg Avert your eyes children!

turtle boy
7th October 2008, 05:13 PM
Fare argument Gok, fare argument:)

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2008, 05:29 PM
Sometimes Hasbro are able to reclaim lost names by purchasing the rights to them after the former owner's ownership of that name has expired and they choose not to renew it. For example, Hasbro had lost the rights to the name "Ravage" which is why we had:
+ Beast Wars Transmetal Ravage = "Tripredacus Agent"
+ Energon Ravage = "Battle Ravage" and "Command Ravage"
+ Alternators Ravage (Corvette Z06) = "Battle Ravage"

...but then sometime in 2006 or 2007 the rights for the toy-name "Ravage" must've been up for renewal, and the owner must've chosen not to renew it allowing Hasbro the chance to purchase the name back, which is why Alternators Ravage (Jaguar XK) was called "Ravage" and the upcoming Ravage that comes with Hound in Universe will also just be called "Ravage." :)

So yeah... who knows... maybe Hasbro will be able to reclaim lost names like Bombshell, Shockwave etc. - it all depends on whether or not the current holders of those names choose to relinquish them and allow Hasbro the chance to take them back.

P.S.: I think it's odd how Takara's lost the rights to the name "Perceptor" (hence why the reissue was called "Cybertron Perceptor")... who would want to use the name "Perceptor"? (especially in Japan no less! I can't imagine a Gundam called Perceptor :p) (o_O)

kup
7th October 2008, 08:01 PM
I had the theory that some dodgy organisations purposely headhunted such 'forgotten about' trademark names so that they can charge royalties to the companies which need to use them.

I figured that the name of Jazz was bought back from one of these organisations for the Movie as before he had to go by the Japanese name and this only changed in 2007.

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2008, 10:11 PM
I figured that the name of Jazz was bought back from one of these organisations for the Movie as before he had to go by the Japanese name and this only changed in 2007.
It hasn't changed. The movie toy was called "Autobot Jazz" and Animated Jazz is also called "Autobot Jazz."

They can get away with using the names "Ratchet" and "Jazz" in the movie and cartoon because they fall under entirely different copyright laws - so Hasbro is able to use those names there, but they don't own those names when it comes to toys, specifically action figures & model cars. That's why the toys have to be called "Autobot Jazz" and "Autobot Ratchet" still.

Autobot Jazz:
http://www.toystoreinc.com/catalog/jaz.jpghttp://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attach/4/5/1/9/3/2_1210726928.jpg

Autobot Ratchet:
http://www.toystoreinc.com/catalog/rachet.jpghttp://www.toystoreinc.com/catalog/animated%20autobot%20ratchet.jpg

jaydisc
8th October 2008, 11:48 AM
New Inferno pics (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/more-images-of-universe-inferno/14133/). NOT from Hasbro. He looks great!

Pulse
8th October 2008, 12:35 PM
The blockiness is growing on me more-&-more every time I see new pics of him... :)

i_amtrunks
8th October 2008, 01:15 PM
I'm over my want for a ladder on him now, the water cannon figure makes enough sense to me.

However if they make a re-tooled figure into Grapple/Artfire I'll be interested to see how they do that seeing as the Water Cannon is attached to Inferno's arm and all.

Paulbot
8th October 2008, 01:30 PM
However if they make a re-tooled figure into Grapple/Artfire I'll be interested to see how they do that seeing as the Water Cannon is attached to Inferno's arm and all.

Hey are you on to something?! They've made a new Nightstick toy, combine that with the new Inferno toy, do some recolouring (and forget that Artfire's Nightsick was actually a Fracas repaint) and they could easily produce a Japanese G1 homage in the Universe line. That'd be cool. Obscure, but cool. :D

GoktimusPrime
8th October 2008, 03:29 PM
EEP! What an awesomage idea!! :D Here's hoping TakaraTOMY will do it as a convention or e-Hobby exclusive Henkei! (^_^)

P.S.: I got Happy Meal Ratchet today - it's called "Ratchet" not "Autobot Ratchet." I guess this means that there are different copyright laws surrounding happy meal toys vs action figures sold at dept stores, TRUs etc.

Pulse
11th October 2008, 11:51 PM
& we have our 1st review of Inferno (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/transformers-universe-inferno-review-165987/) :) (December can't arrive fast enough :D)

liegeprime
12th October 2008, 11:06 AM
Well at leaast inferno isnt dissapointing as Cyclonus was.

MV75
12th October 2008, 01:02 PM
Don't the four images here perfectly sum up the whole Hasbro False Advertising complaint?

http://www.tfw2005.com/resources/universe-classics-20-legends-autobots-269/brawn-1861/

Yet you were so adament here

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=52474&postcount=87
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=52485&postcount=89
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=52764&postcount=93

on the topic of enhanced pictures that are supposed to be for retailers eyes only that the end result should be that noone should complain based on 'chopped pictures. Why the sudden 180 in the other thread? Oh that's right, because it was posted what the real nature of the enhanced pictures were for.

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=52407&postcount=83

Note the dates.

So yes:

http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=52478&postcount=88
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=52485&postcount=89

I win. :D

FFN
12th October 2008, 09:20 PM
Lame.. When you think about it, the name Bombshell, as are most names in transformers. But all they are, are 2 words used to make up one. So all they have to do is put a space in between the name and hey presto, Bomb Shell. And how can you loose the trade mark to a name that you came up with... It's stupid.:mad: Trademarks don't work like that. When you have a trademark, then somebody else can't have a trademark that is confusingly similar to yours. So you can't trademark "Bomb Shell" if somebody else already has some iteration of "Bombshell".

turtle boy: It's happens when Hasbro stops using the name and another toy company then purchases the right to that name. They may not necessarily use that name (which is why you may not see another toy with the name "Bombshell" on it), but it does mean that they currently hold the rights to it. I believe that once you file for and are allowed to use a trademark, you have to use the trademark a reasonable amount of times.

What companies will sometimes do when this happens is to modify the name to get around it. For example, "Autobot Jazz," "Decepticon Brawl," "Autobot Ratchet," "Cybertron Perceptor," "Decepticon Frenzy" et al. Now sometimes simply adding "Autobot" or "Decepticon" to the name isn't enough - all depending on the nature of the toy and the copyright being held by the current holder. Not exactly. Hasbro only adds Autobot or Decepticon to the front of names when they want to strengthen a trademarkable name that may not be strong enough on it's own, either lack of recent usage, or (more likely) because it's a common english word. Ratchet, Jazz, Brawl, Skids are difficult for Hasbro to defend in court, so they stick the made up word like Autobot in front to make them stronger trademarks.

If somebody holds a trademark, you can't simply just stick "Autobot" or "Decepticon" in front of it and call it a day. That's why there's no "Autobot Hot Rod" or even "Autobot Hot Rodimus".

For example in most TF lines Hasbro are able to use "Autobot Jazz" but they weren't allowed to do this with Alternators - possibly because Alternators is also seen as a model car line, not just an action figure line, and the name "Jazz" probably already belongs to any toy company producing a replica of the Honda Jazz. As a result Hasbro used Jazz's Japanese name "Meister" for the Alternator. From what I understand, Aaron Archer said the reason why they went with Meister was that they felt three releases in a row (Hound, Tracks, Jazz) with "Autobot" as part of the name sounded kind of lame and redundant, so Meister was used as a substitute. Also, Hasbro was still hoping they would be able to release the Porsche and use "Autobot Jazz" on that.

This was probably also the case with Shockwave, unable to simply call it "Decepticon Shockwave" they called him "Shockblast" for Alternators and Energon. Hasbro also cannot use the name "Devastator" for Transformers but they can use it for Star Wars, as Lucas currently owns the name (it's the name of a Star Destroyer) - I'm guessing that could be why Energon Devastator was called "Constructicon Maximus" and movie Devastator was called "Decepticon Brawl." Lanard (makers of the GI Joe-like toys The CORPS!) held the trademark for Shockwave for a number of years, which was why Hasbro resorted to Shockblast. Hasbro was able to resecure Shockwave when Lanard abandoned their attempts to register it, and Hasbro slapped it onto the Cybertron redeco of Armada Terradive. They were actually aware of the trademark being available back in 2004, but at the time Alternators Shockblast was already well underway, so they couldn't change the name.

So guys, don't complain when Hasbro slaps seemingly random G1 names onto toys that don't really fit. They need to do that to keep the names in usage (especially right after they are able to resecure the trademark).

The reason why Hasbro uses "[Insert word] Devastator" is because Hasbro's legal department considers Devastator to be too difficult to defend in court due to it being a common word. Movie Devastator was renamed Brawl because both Hasbro and the screenwriters wanted to save the name for a gestalt.

As far as I know, Lucasfilm does not hold the trademark to Devastator for the same reasons (too difficult to defend in court), for to my knowledge, there are no products called "Devastator" from the Star Wars merchandise lines. To hold onto a trademark, you have to use it, and Lucasfilm is unlikely to trademark Star Destroyer names given they mostly use generic naval names of common words.

GoktimusPrime
12th October 2008, 11:00 PM
Not exactly. Hasbro only adds Autobot or Decepticon to the front of names when they want to strengthen a trademarkable name that may not be strong enough on it's own, either lack of recent usage, or (more likely) because it's a common english word. Ratchet, Jazz, Brawl, Skids are difficult for Hasbro to defend in court, so they stick the made up word like Autobot in front to make them stronger trademarks.
But a lot of other Transformer names are words commonly found in the English lexicon, e.g.: Bumblebee, Barricade, Lugnut, Scavenger etc., yet Hasbro continues to use these names for Transformers without modification. :/

Also, "Perceptor" is not a word that exists in the Japanese lexicon, so why would Takara call the reissue "Cybertron Perceptor"? There's also the question surrounding the typography of Encore Swerve's name too (ウエーブ vs ウェーブ), and "Wave" isn't a word in the Japanese lexicon either.

If somebody holds a trademark, you can't simply just stick "Autobot" or "Decepticon" in front of it and call it a day. That's why there's no "Autobot Hot Rod" or even "Autobot Hot Rodimus".
I thought it was dependant on the nature of the trademarked name. *shrug*

So guys, don't complain when Hasbro slaps seemingly random G1 names onto toys that don't really fit. They need to do that to keep the names in usage (especially right after they are able to resecure the trademark).
I don't have a problem with them doing that... but I do have a problem with them slapping completely irrelevant names onto a Transformer that's meant to be called something else; e.g.: Universe Tankor. I understand that Hasbro may not be able/willing to use the name "Octane" on its own, but why not modify it? "Decepticon Octane" or hell, even "Mega-Octane" (which Hasbro used in RiD) would've been infinitely preferable than call it freakin' "Tankor." (-_-)

I don't have a problem with names like "Autobot Jazz," "Decepticon Frenzy" or "Shockblast"... I can even accept "Hardshell"... but "Tankor" instead of "Octane"?? They're just not trying...

The reason why Hasbro uses "[Insert word] Devastator" is because Hasbro's legal department considers Devastator to be too difficult to defend in court due to it being a common word.
Yet "Bumblebee" and "Barricade" are easier? :/

As far as I know, Lucasfilm does not hold the trademark to Devastator for the same reasons (too difficult to defend in court), for to my knowledge, there are no products called "Devastator" from the Star Wars merchandise lines. To hold onto a trademark, you have to use it, and Lucasfilm is unlikely to trademark Star Destroyer names given they mostly use generic naval names of common words.
Most capital ships in Star Wars are named after common words such as the Devastator (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Devastator), the Executor (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Executor), the Malevolence (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Malevolence) and the Invisible Hand (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Invisible_Hand). I don't know of Lucas would ever commission Hasbro to make a specific toy of the Devastator... visually it just looks like another Star Destroyer. :p It's not as if Hasbro would make an action figure for Stormtrooper TK-421. ;)

jaydisc
12th October 2008, 11:55 PM
I win. :D

I didn't know we were competing. What do you win?

As I said, we're on different pages. Perhaps you are defensive as you thought something I wrote was directed at you personally? If so, I assure you that wasn't the case.

griffin
13th October 2008, 01:06 AM
I think the issue with Robot Heroes Bombshell/Hardshell is being confused with names lost due to lapsed Trademarks. Bombshell, IRC, is like Slag, in that the name itself would be difficult to market in certain countries (probably Canada, which saw Beast Wars renamed Beasties).
I don't think there would be a Trademark problem with Bombshell, because they could easily slap 'Decepticon' in front of it like they already do with Movie Brawl, Fracture, Movie Reverb, RH Rumble, Universe Dropshot and Universe Heavyload (it might be more common for Autobots, but it does get used for Decepticons too).

Since they probably couldn't use (or didn't want to use) 'Bomb', they would have had to find something to go with 'shell', to at least make it a little familar (like Shockblast).
If Hasbro answers all our submitted questions, including reasoning behind design choices, we could submit a question for next month, to ask why it is called 'Hardshell', and get it straight from the horse's mouth.

kurdt_the_goat
13th October 2008, 03:07 PM
Looks like someone managed to save Brawn from unpainted-green-wheeled doom!
http://i3.6.cn/cvbnm/6a/5d/e1/1ade54a0fd5c9345109a2b121d7ef654.jpg

griffin
13th October 2008, 04:00 PM
That's just weird. Maybe it really is being released with black wheels, and the product photos we saw in packaging were just more mock-ups (which can often be the case as well).
Maybe we just have to wait until they are out in stores to see for sure what comes out of the factory.

griffin
13th October 2008, 04:01 PM
Well, here's hoping for a redeco/remould Brawn as Outback! :D

Stompy
13th October 2008, 04:21 PM
That Brawn can also pass as it is for Movie Ratchet. In alt mode anyway.

SilverDragon
13th October 2008, 06:02 PM
Okay, Brawn's wheels are becoming so inconsistent in colour it's becoming a debate along the lines of the whole Rumble-Frenzy thing ("No, they're black!").

Those toys look nice.

Pulse
13th October 2008, 07:11 PM
Those toys look nice.

+ 1! :)

But I've got my eye on Beachcomber... That dune buggy alt-mode is sweet! :D

griffin
14th October 2008, 01:13 PM
The problem with Beachcomber (to me) is that the wheels and seats/rollcage are out of scale, suggesting that a human would only stand a little taller than the tyres, making them HUGE!!!

Pulse
14th October 2008, 02:30 PM
Eh, there's always room for exaggeration in TFs... :D

FFN
17th October 2008, 03:46 AM
But a lot of other Transformer names are words commonly found in the English lexicon, e.g.: Bumblebee, Barricade, Lugnut, Scavenger etc., yet Hasbro continues to use these names for Transformers without modification. :/

Also, "Perceptor" is not a word that exists in the Japanese lexicon, so why would Takara call the reissue "Cybertron Perceptor"? There's also the question surrounding the typography of Encore Swerve's name too (ウエーブ vs ウェーブ), and "Wave" isn't a word in the Japanese lexicon either.

Yet "Bumblebee" and "Barricade" are easier? :/ I asked a friend who knows an IP lawyer about this and hopefully he'll get back to me with clarification.

Generally, "common word" is a very VERY simplified explanation. An explanation from the lawyer is "cluttered market". Some words are used in so many different fields so it's hard to just claim them as trademarks in the "toys" field.

What I gather from this is that some words are just used *too* widely to be easily trademarked, while other words aren't. But... with trademark law there are no easy answers for us layman to understand.

Walky once said with trademark law there is no "1 and 1 equals 2". It's more like "1 and 1 equals 2.7".

I don't have a problem with them doing that... but I do have a problem with them slapping completely irrelevant names onto a Transformer that's meant to be called something else; e.g.: Universe Tankor. I understand that Hasbro may not be able/willing to use the name "Octane" on its own, but why not modify it? "Decepticon Octane" or hell, even "Mega-Octane" (which Hasbro used in RiD) would've been infinitely preferable than call it freakin' "Tankor." (-_-)

I don't have a problem with names like "Autobot Jazz," "Decepticon Frenzy" or "Shockblast"... I can even accept "Hardshell"... but "Tankor" instead of "Octane"?? They're just not trying... I'll try to get an answer for this too. According to Hasbro, they had planned him as Octane, but ended up having to call him Tankor. They even hint his original name in his bio.

It is unlikely that Hasbro ditched Octane to protect Tankor as some have suggested, because if they wanted to protect that trademark they could just have easily slapped it on any other toy rather than knowingly give a toy the wrong name. Basically, there must have been some problem that prevented them from calling him some form of Octane.

I think the issue with Robot Heroes Bombshell/Hardshell is being confused with names lost due to lapsed Trademarks. Bombshell, IRC, is like Slag, in that the name itself would be difficult to market in certain countries (probably Canada, which saw Beast Wars renamed Beasties).
I don't think there would be a Trademark problem with Bombshell, because they could easily slap 'Decepticon' in front of it like they already do with Movie Brawl, Fracture, Movie Reverb, RH Rumble, Universe Dropshot and Universe Heavyload (it might be more common for Autobots, but it does get used for Decepticons too).

Since they probably couldn't use (or didn't want to use) 'Bomb', they would have had to find something to go with 'shell', to at least make it a little familar (like Shockblast).
If Hasbro answers all our submitted questions, including reasoning behind design choices, we could submit a question for next month, to ask why it is called 'Hardshell', and get it straight from the horse's mouth. I don't believe Hasbro is unwilling to use "bomb" in a toy's name, since back in 2005 made a female GI Joe figure from the comics that would have been named Bombshell, but since that trademark was unavailable, they renamed her Bombstrike.

GoktimusPrime
17th October 2008, 09:17 AM
Generally, "common word" is a very VERY simplified explanation. An explanation from the lawyer is "cluttered market". Some words are used in so many different fields so it's hard to just claim them as trademarks in the "toys" field.

What I gather from this is that some words are just used *too* widely to be easily trademarked, while other words aren't. But... with trademark law there are no easy answers for us layman to understand.

Walky once said with trademark law there is no "1 and 1 equals 2". It's more like "1 and 1 equals 2.7".
As I understand it there are different trademark laws for different fields and areas, in this case, toy trademarks. So not being able to use the name "Bombshell" means that someone has acquired that name for a toyline. That's my current understanding of it anyway. *shrug*

I'll try to get an answer for this too. According to Hasbro, they had planned him as Octane, but ended up having to call him Tankor. They even hint his original name in his bio.

It is unlikely that Hasbro ditched Octane to protect Tankor as some have suggested, because if they wanted to protect that trademark they could just have easily slapped it on any other toy rather than knowingly give a toy the wrong name. Basically, there must have been some problem that prevented them from calling him some form of Octane.
Hasbro calls a flat-bed military truck "Mega-Octane" and a toy based on G1 Octane "Tankor." :/ IMO it should've been the other way around... the name "Tankor" would've been much better for the RiD version of Dolrailer (because "Mega-Octane" just didn't make sense for that toy considering his alt mode) and "Mega-Octane" would've suited Universe Tankor. Had they called it "Mega-Octane" I probably would've bought the Hasbro version, but I've decided to boycott it based on the naming thing... I personally don't care about the chrome thing on that toy but I refuse to buy a toy that's meant to be Octane but called something completely different. Even if they called it "Oktane" or "Octotane" ... something attempting to preserve the Octane name in some fashion. :/ Or heck, use his Japanese name and call him "Octone" (like what they did with Alternators and used Jazz's Japanese name (Meister)).

That's why I can forgive Hardshell, by at least maintaining the "shell" suffix they are preserving at least half of Bombshell's name. It's not ideal, but I can see some effort in preserving at least part of the original name. But I can't forgive calling Shrapnel "Predacon" or Octane "Tankor." It's too much of a deviation for me. :/

P.S.: I imagine that there could be differences between intellectual property laws in the United States vs. Australia.

kup
17th October 2008, 10:15 AM
New pics from Ebay seller:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/more-photos-of-universe-houndravage-cyclonusnightstick-and-starscream-166013/

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/hi-res-image-gallery-of-universe-inferno-166012/

- Inferno has some very nice side head molding resembling his G1/G2 white antenas. Hopefuly Henkei will paint them white.

- Hound now has a mix of bright green and dark army green. This sucks.

- Like I was sure of, there are no changes to Cyclonus.

Paulbot
17th October 2008, 11:22 AM
- Hound now has a mix of bright green and dark army green. This sucks.

- Like I was sure of, there are no changes to Cyclonus.

Why do you think images of toys (that are not released anywhere in the world) from an ebay auctions (which often has stuff stolen from factories) are the final product? :rolleyes:

Where did this ebay seller get a toy when it is not for sale anywhere? Did it fall off the back of the proverbial truck?

Wait until someone buys Cyclonus or Hound in a proper store and then see what it looks like (and complain all you want if it still looks the same) :p

From the Ebay auction, Cyclonus is in excellent condition except for some numbers etched into the wings and Hound has some numbers etched onto the hood. That sure sounds like prototypes to me, not a final toy!

kup
17th October 2008, 11:33 AM
Why do you think images of toys (that are not released anywhere in the world) from an ebay auctions (which often has stuff stolen from factories) are the final product? :rolleyes:

Where did this ebay seller get a toy when it is not for sale anywhere? Did it fall off the back of the proverbial truck?

Wait until someone buys Cyclonus or Hound in a proper store and then see what it looks like (and complain all you want if it still looks the same) :p

From the Ebay auction, Cyclonus is in excellent condition except for some numbers etched into the wings and Hound has some numbers etched onto the hood. That sure sounds like prototypes to me, not a final toy!

I hope you are right. Believe me, I would love to be proven wrong on this.

Pulse
17th October 2008, 11:56 AM
Goddamn I can't wait 'til these guys get released in Nov/Dec... *drools all over keyboard* :o

kurdt_the_goat
17th October 2008, 12:27 PM
Is it just me, or is Cyclonus' nosecone telescoping into his chest for transformation? The figure itself (colours aside) is still looking great IMO, virtually kibble-less and G1 accurate in both modes.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=10500

kup
17th October 2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah the mold is fantastic.

I have a feeling that he nosecone folds down and is encased within a gap on his back.

MV75
17th October 2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.tfclub.com/art/20081013192211_9957.html

Inferno is just perfect. Such a great looking figure. I have no complaints about this one at all, it's the rare masterpiece amongst a collection of crap (relativly speaking).

Oh yea, hound actually looks really good, but I just don't like the look of the vehicle. I'll only be getting it for ravage, so I'll be giving the hound away. So watch for it. :)

FFN
17th October 2008, 03:18 PM
As I understand it there are different trademark laws for different fields and areas, in this case, toy trademarks. So not being able to use the name "Bombshell" means that someone has acquired that name for a toyline. That's my current understanding of it anyway. *shrug* In Bombshell's case, yes. But you had asked me about why certain words could be trademarked while others (such as Jazz) couldn't, and that's the most basic reason I could give.

Hasbro calls a flat-bed military truck "Mega-Octane" and a toy based on G1 Octane "Tankor." :/ IMO it should've been the other way around... the name "Tankor" would've been much better for the RiD version of Dolrailer (because "Mega-Octane" just didn't make sense for that toy considering his alt mode) and "Mega-Octane" would've suited Universe Tankor. Had they called it "Mega-Octane" I probably would've bought the Hasbro version, but I've decided to boycott it based on the naming thing... I personally don't care about the chrome thing on that toy but I refuse to buy a toy that's meant to be Octane but called something completely different. Even if they called it "Oktane" or "Octotane" ... something attempting to preserve the Octane name in some fashion. :/ Or heck, use his Japanese name and call him "Octone" (like what they did with Alternators and used Jazz's Japanese name (Meister)). Those alternatives sound pretty stupid, as does Octone. That means wasting money on a trademark that sounds stupid.

There was some speculation that Mega Octane was originally Scourge's trademark but was possibly swapped around with the Onslaught redeco. Mega Octane's trademark has most likely lapsed, as (to my knowledge), it was last used in 2003.

Boycotting toys that you can just rename yourself is too Serious Business for my taste :)

MV75
17th October 2008, 03:28 PM
Boycotting toys that you can just rename yourself is too Serious Business for my taste

I reckon. :) I boycott due to how crap it looks. :D

kup
17th October 2008, 03:42 PM
I boycott due to how crap it looks. :D

Good one :)

I don't go as far as boycotting when it comes to badly named figures but it does annoy me when it happens.

What prevents me from buying is precisely what MV75 said with a few exceptions.

GoktimusPrime
17th October 2008, 04:03 PM
Those alternatives sound pretty stupid, as does Octone. That means wasting money on a trademark that sounds stupid.
As opposed to "Tankor" which just sounds so Challenge of the Gobots! ;)

Cop-Tor
Fi-Tor
Tank-or
...5uXx-0rz :p

There was some speculation that Mega Octane was originally Scourge's trademark but was possibly swapped around with the Onslaught redeco. Mega Octane's trademark has most likely lapsed, as (to my knowledge), it was last used in 2003.
What was the Energon version of Super Link Onslaught called in 2004?

FFN
17th October 2008, 05:13 PM
Hey, if you have to use a bad name (Tankor = Petrol Tanker Truck, is the reasoning I would think they had), might as well use one that doesn't cost you money :D

Energon Onslaught guy was named Barricade.

dirge
17th October 2008, 09:26 PM
Those alternatives sound pretty stupid, as does Octone.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Octone is certainly no less stupid that "Tankor", which is an awful name and always has been.

The fact is that Octone is far more relevant - being Octane's Japanese name - than Tankor. Especially when Hasbro has slapped that name on about 8 toys in the last decade.

I'm not saying Octone is fantastic, but it sounds much better than the now generic and cheesy Tankor.

Soundwarp
17th October 2008, 09:37 PM
Is it just me, or is Cyclonus' nosecone telescoping into his chest for transformation? The figure itself (colours aside) is still looking great IMO, virtually kibble-less and G1 accurate in both modes.
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=10500

Wow, first time i've seen this pic and Man i can't wait!

MV75
17th October 2008, 11:08 PM
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=648&ID=23040
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?BR=496&SBR=97&ID=23041

Swindle and beachcomber on the hasbrotoyshop site.

I'm liking the look of swindles vehicle mode there. It's more mustard than the original, but it's a pretty great G1 tribute right there with the gun on top.

And beachcomber, I think there was some hate on it for some reason I dunno, but I like this new one, looks good to me. :) I like the rollcage, the gun on the roof and the whole buggy thing. Transformation and head look good to compared to the original.

EDIT: Oh yea, what Soundwarp said above, the actual toy looks great. If a transformer looks good from the back, then they've nailed it. I just question the colour choices, but the mould itself, very nice.

jaydisc
17th October 2008, 11:22 PM
Cyclonus's head definitely visibly makes up some of the nose cone, but the rest of it is nowhere to be found in robot mode. I think Kup is right in that it retracts under the cockpit somehow.

While I thought Inferno looked a bit blocky at first, I've now seen a video review and he is pretty awesome. I so prefer the Voyager class over Ultras. I think the three Ultras would have been superior in that class without electronics. Shame.

Swindle is awesome! But is he 25th anniversary?

MV75
17th October 2008, 11:28 PM
Oh yea, swindle is animated.

Did you see my post further up on inferno with the link?

http://www.tfclub.com/art/20081013192211_9957.html

It looks so very good to me there. :) Just like jetfire was my clear favorite out of the first classics run, I think inferno is shaping up to be that figure again.

Oh yea, no mistake on the voyagers either. It's probably no coincidence that jetfire and inferno are voyagers. :)

Lord_Zed
18th October 2008, 12:46 AM
Colour me unimpressed with Inferno, the Fire engine ain't bad, but his legs go into his gut, and he sure has a lot of gut.

Maybe when I see the henkei version though...

Although I openly admit I'd more a Deluxe person.

Gutsman Heavy
18th October 2008, 12:56 AM
Nuttin' wrong with a TF that has a rockin' beer gut, he can join Animated ratchet down the pub

FFN
18th October 2008, 01:11 AM
I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Octone is certainly no less stupid that "Tankor", which is an awful name and always has been.

The fact is that Octone is far more relevant - being Octane's Japanese name - than Tankor. Especially when Hasbro has slapped that name on about 8 toys in the last decade.

I'm not saying Octone is fantastic, but it sounds much better than the now generic and cheesy Tankor. I'm more inclined to use english language trademarks of words that have been changed to sound more toyetic than engrish of western words, or japanese pronounciation of western words.

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2008, 09:28 AM
...as opposed to say "Kobushi" or "Banzaitron." (@_@)

dirge
18th October 2008, 09:37 AM
I'm more inclined to use english language trademarks of words that have been changed to sound more toyetic than engrish of western words, or japanese pronounciation of western words.

Fair enough. I don't especially care if Japanese - or Engrish - names are given, myself, but I do hate the lazy naming we see sometimes, and Tankor is a great example of it. I'd hate it just as much if Meister was slapped on a plethora of differering toys by Hasbro (or TT, for that matter).

Pulse
25th October 2008, 01:38 PM
This vid (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-video-review-of-universe-classics-20-cyclonus-w-nightstick-166070/) & pic review (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/194118-universe-classics-2-0-cyclonus-w-nightstick.html) of Cyclonus and vid (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-video-review-of-universe-classics-20-hound-and-ravage-166068/) & pic review (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/194112-transformers-universe-classics-2-0-hound-w-ravage.html) of Hound make me want them even more... :D

Firecracker
25th October 2008, 04:00 PM
I love how Cyclonus is bigger than most of the other deluxes... He's like the muscle of the group.

Trailer Park Ninja
25th October 2008, 05:40 PM
This vid (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-video-review-of-universe-classics-20-cyclonus-w-nightstick-166070/) & pic review (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/194118-universe-classics-2-0-cyclonus-w-nightstick.html) of Cyclonus and vid (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/new-video-review-of-universe-classics-20-hound-and-ravage-166068/) & pic review (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-feedback/194112-transformers-universe-classics-2-0-hound-w-ravage.html) of Hound make me want them even more... :D

+1. Thanks for the links. Looking forward to these now.

Lord_Zed
25th October 2008, 07:34 PM

the mould's look solid, still not sold on the colours though.

kup
25th October 2008, 08:06 PM

I have known not to trust fan reviews unless I know the source. Too many disappointing toys are given hype ridden reviews, particularly in the International boards.

the mould's look solid, still not sold on the colours though.

My thoughts exactly. I'll wait for the Henkei release although I am a bit fearful of inappropriate chrome.

Pulse
25th October 2008, 08:26 PM
I have known not to trust fan reviews unless I know the source. Too many disappointing toys are given hype ridden reviews, particularly in the International boards.

Seems as though the only figure in recent times that's been universally condemned is that Animated Jetfire/Jetstorm combiner (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-images-of-tfa-jetfire-and-jetstorm-with-hands/14293/)
(is there any wanting for that figure at all... :D)

Golden Phoenix
25th October 2008, 11:38 PM

Well since they usually pay a whole lot for them I think they hype it up as a façade to cover their buyers remorse.

Firecracker
26th October 2008, 10:52 AM
Peaugh's reviews are pretty straight forward and concise. Most point out the flaws as equally as the stellar parts. As long as a reviewer shows the toy alot, ie: lots of pictures, rom of limbs, comparisons, we can make pretty informed decisions ourselves.

dirge
26th October 2008, 11:04 AM
Peaugh's reviews are pretty straight forward and concise. Most point out the flaws as equally as the stellar parts. As long as a reviewer shows the toy alot, ie: lots of pictures, rom of limbs, comparisons, we can make pretty informed decisions ourselves.

Pics are easy to find, although I agree a lot of pictures helps a review. What really drives me nuts is how some reviewers will gush over a toy and just not bother looking for/mentioning shortcomings. It may not bother them, but if they see it, they should point it out. That way the reader can make the informed decision about whether or not that flaw will matter for them.

jaydisc
26th October 2008, 11:28 AM
I agree with Firecracker. Peaugh's reviews are indeed concise and could arguable be referred to more as a quick tour of the figure than a review. He typically gives me what I need to make my own decision. While he rarely ends with something other than "I really like this figure", he does point out shortcomings but they're usually tied with constructive corrective fixes or enhancements.

Personally, I'd much prefer to watch one of Peaugh's quick figure "tours" then hear someone waffle for 10 minutes as most other "reviewers" do.

griffin
26th October 2008, 12:09 PM
Seems as though the only figure in recent times that's been universally condemned is that Animated Jetfire/Jetstorm combiner (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-images-of-tfa-jetfire-and-jetstorm-with-hands/14293/)
(is there any wanting for that figure at all... :D)

I'm actually looking forward to it, because it shows that Hasbro are at least trying to push the boundaries on what constitutes a Transformers toy - even if the result of their first attempt of a new concept doesn't quite appeal to most - it will still be something I can point out to others as a Transformers toy that does 'this', as opposed to most others just transforming from one mode to another. It's unique, like Magmatron or WST, or Darth Vader/Death Star for forming an actual sphere, so it gets points for at least being different to most other TFs that just turn from robot to vehicle.

Pulse
26th October 2008, 12:56 PM
I agree with Firecracker. Peaugh's reviews are indeed concise and could arguable be referred to more as a quick tour of the figure than a review. He typically gives me what I need to make my own decision. While he rarely ends with something other than "I really like this figure", he does point out shortcomings but they're usually tied with constructive corrective fixes or enhancements.

Personally, I'd much prefer to watch one of Peaugh's quick figure "tours" then hear someone waffle for 10 minutes as most other "reviewers" do.

+ 1! There were occasions when I used to watch Sean's stuff but I'm not gonna watch a 25 minute review... :rolleyes: I also used to be a regular viewer of Dl3anksak47 but his new vids seem to drag on... :rolleyes:

Oh & I just looked up how much Peaugh paid for his Cyclonus... *shakes head*
Is it really worth paying that much just to be the first person to own one?

Firecracker
26th October 2008, 01:11 PM
Well, better that they pay and we can make the informed decision. :p Also, don't knock the members who buy stuff early and for copious amounts... They usually sell other stuff for very generous prices. :D

Pipesqueak
26th October 2008, 01:25 PM
As others have said, loving the moulds but praying henkei gets the colours right.