PDA

View Full Version : When a spark goes online, there is great joy...

Beast_Wars_Superior
21st September 2008, 08:52 PM
Greetings everyone!

I have joined the forum as Beast_Wars_Superior, though some of you may know me as Mr_M from the Hyper Magazine forum. It was actually someone from that forum who recommended this place to me.

Anyway, I've pretty much been a fan of Transformers all my life. When I was a kid, I was obsessed with G1, owning heaps of toys and watching the show as often as I could. Then as a teen, it was Beast Wars. Now as an adult, they released the live-action movie as well as the new TV show, Animated.

G1 is great as the sentimental favourite, the one that started it all, and so on, but I have to be honest- I don't like those G1 fanboys who always say stuff like 'This suck coz it's not G1, the voices are different, the alt-modes are different, G1 for life etc.'. In my opinion, the G1 show has aged pretty badly, and Beast Wars and Animated are superior shows in terms of story writing, character development, and voice acting. Beast Wars is my all time fave and I own the entire series on DVD, which is part of the reason why I chose my username. The other part is that it's a play on Soundwave's 'Inferior, Superior' quote. ;)

So yeah, my fave TV shows in order are probably Beast Wars, Animated, G1 and Cybertron (I was going to buy Cybertron Optimus Prime from a sale, but they sold out before I got there). I saw some eps of Armada and Energon and thought they both sucked. I haven't seen Beast Machines but I'm going to download and watch it pretty soon (on a side note, Animated is the first thing I ever downloaded off BitTorrent, but surely not the last!). Also, I loved the live action movie and own it on HD-DVD.

I think I still have most of my G1/G2 toys, but they'd be in a crate in the shed and I can't really be bothered digging them out. In my room at the moment, I have all of my Beast Wars stuff on display, along with various other Transformers I buy here and there. I don't buy very many toys in relation to more serious collectors, but I'm always browsing shops for new Transformers (even if I don't plan to buy any, it's still fun to browse) so hopefully I can make myself useful in the toy sightings forum!

I also like taking photos of them so I should be able to make a few contributions to the action shots thread. I love action shots! Also, I'm not a customiser but I like browsing other people's customised TFs (that Donkey Kong one is brilliant!) so keep up the good work guys!

One more thing, I'm a huge videogame nut so I'll probably get involved in some videogame discussion as well. I'm really looking forward to the TF: Animated game on DS.

Anyway, that's my long introduction out of the way. I look forward to getting involved with the forum, talking to other TF fans, and having fun!

Thanatos
21st September 2008, 09:03 PM
There is great joy indeed :)

Welcome to the boards.

GoktimusPrime
21st September 2008, 09:20 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/boardwelcome.jpg

G1 is great as the sentimental favourite, the one that started it all, and so on, but I have to be honest- I don't like those G1 fanboys who always say stuff like 'This suck coz it's not G1, the voices are different, the alt-modes are different, G1 for life etc.'. In my opinion, the G1 show has aged pretty badly, and Beast Wars and Animated are superior shows in terms of story writing, character development, and voice acting. Beast Wars is my all time fave and I own the entire series on DVD, which is part of the reason why I chose my username.
I strongly disagree.

The G1 cartoon has aged and is rather camp full of shallow one-dimensional caricatures, but not the G1 comics from Marvel. Many G1 fans have long preferred the comic books over the cartoon. The comics came out before the cartoon and lasted long after it was cancelled. The G2 comics were also vastly superior over the G2 cartoon (which was nothing more than the G1 cartoon rehashed). It was the G1 comics that portrayed Unicron as a god, gave us Primus and established the Matrix as a divine artifact. And oh yeah, Sentinel Prime originated from the G1 comics too (as Optimus Prime's predecessor). Bludgeon, Thunderwing, the Wreckers, the Decepticon Mayhem Attack Squads, Target: 2006, the Time Wars, the Underbase Saga, the Matrix Saga, the Legacy of Unicron etc etc etc. To me the Marvel comics have always been the "true" G1.

Say what you will about the G1 cartoon, but do not assume that it represents the entirety of G1... because it doesn't. The cartoon ran from 1985-1987 whereas the comics ran from 1984-1992. 1993 if you include G2.

1984 http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/us01.jpg

1992 http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/uk332.jpg

And Transformers Generation 2 gave us Jhiaxus, the Liege Maximo and the Swarm (who would eventually evolve to become the Vok in Beast Wars).

1993 - Transformers Generation 2 http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/12sideswipe.jpghttp://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/01gatefold.jpg

The Swarm http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/c/c0/Swarmoptimus.jpg -->recreated into--> http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/d/d4/Purple_vok.jpg The Vok
(thanks to Optimus Prime :))

Rampage
21st September 2008, 09:22 PM
I don't like those G1 fanboys who always say stuff like 'This suck coz it's not G1, the voices are different, the alt-modes are different, G1 for life etc.'.

TRUKK NOT MUNKY:p:)

Welcome:D

loophole
21st September 2008, 09:35 PM
Welcome Aboard BWS!!!! it can get a bit crazy around here at times but dont be afraid :p

Sam
21st September 2008, 09:52 PM
Welcome to the forum. :)

Paulbot
21st September 2008, 09:54 PM
Welcome. Hopefully your choice of username doesn't get too many people argueing with you. You'll find quite a few G1 fanboys here ready to argue with you about it's merits right away. Some of our members are only just watching Beast Wars over a decade after it started. But you'll also find some members are young enough that Beast Wars was the first TF line they saw.

dirge
21st September 2008, 10:00 PM
Beast Wars Superior, Rock Lords Inferior.

Welcome.

blackie
21st September 2008, 10:02 PM
welcome and enjoy your stay here :D

Beast_Wars_Superior
21st September 2008, 10:21 PM
Say what you will about the G1 cartoon, but do not assume that it represents the entirety of G1... because it doesn't.

Nah, I was specifically referring to the TV show. I just don't like it when people say stuff along the lines of 'Beast Wars sucks because they don't turn into vehicles' without even giving it a chance as a TV show in it's own right. I'm not any kind of fanboy, I judge everything on it's own merits.

Welcome. Hopefully your choice of username doesn't get too many people argueing with you. You'll find quite a few G1 fanboys here ready to argue with you about it's merits right away.

I don't mind rational debates, if that's what you mean. :p

Also, how many posts do I need before my avatar appears?

Paulbot
21st September 2008, 10:29 PM
Your avatar should be there... just check in the User Control Panel there's two options Profile Picture and Avatar (these are different images and you'll need to set both)

King Atlas
21st September 2008, 10:37 PM
Excellent, another beast wars fan. Are you also interested in Beast wars II and neo?

griffin
21st September 2008, 10:44 PM
Not wanting to upset the intro postings, or make anyone feel unwelcome...
Just making sure everyone here understands that each person has a favourite series/universe/etc in Transformers, and nobody is to be judged or convinced that anyone's favourite is better or worse than another. Each person likes their 'favourite' for their own reason, and in their own perception of it. It is recommended to not be too forceful in proclaiming what you like or dislike, as it is bound to provoke a response from someone who is just as much of a committed fan, but to opposing things. Neither person is wrong when it comes to favourites, but it can lead to unnecessary hostility over a mere difference of opinion, preventing some people from being able to relate to their more common interests in the fandom.

It's like when people say that their favourite toy is something odd or obscure. It may just be their first ever Transformers toy, or have some special quality that only appeals to them, but that doesn't justify someone else saying it is a bad toy, and try to convince them of it. It just spoils their fun at being a fan (or what it means to be a fan to them), and isn't fair on them.
You're all encouraged to talk about what you like and dislike about Transformers (it's what a fan forum is for), just be kind to others if they like something you don't like, and don't belittle them for it as if they are wrong.

The whole BW Vs G1 issue is something that can't be resolved by obsessed fans, and many of us (like me) are fans of both in different ways. I don't want to see a new member being put off by a timeless debate that just degenerates into irrational arguing, nor do I want to see any newbie unintentionally causing divisions in a fan community that is so small (in this country), that we can't afford to have it dividing itself over petty differences when we all share a common interest that should be keeping us together.
This gives me an idea though... a poll perhaps in the discussion section. :)

Gutsman Heavy
21st September 2008, 10:56 PM
Good to see you got signed up Mr_M Beast_Wars_Superior!

Welcome.

Pulse
21st September 2008, 11:16 PM
Hey Mate! :)

Atleast you're not a "Machine Wars" guy... :D (Iz is only joking... http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/Pulse_Warrior/Random/lolol.gif)

1orion2many
21st September 2008, 11:20 PM
:)Welcome to the board:).

iceburn
21st September 2008, 11:22 PM
well...was not a Beast Wars fan but about 50% into it now...
i guess it's slowly coming to me.

anyway, nice to see more fans from Perth coming into the forum too!
great having you here

liegeprime
21st September 2008, 11:25 PM
Mabuhay! Welcome to the board. :D

you mean these type of Fanboys? :D:D:D:p
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/FanProf2.jpg

Autocon
22nd September 2008, 12:01 AM
I WILL FIGHT ANYONE FOR BW FIGURES!!!!!!:p

u can have neo II etc...

welcome

ps have one free spare quickstrike missing snake mouthpiece
comes w/ instructions and tec specs, i think

STL
22nd September 2008, 12:03 AM
Welcome to the board. Look forward to you adding shots to that action pose thread we've got

BW was cool but G1 > BW! :p

Stompy
22nd September 2008, 12:51 AM
Welcome BWS. You might recognize me as well. ;)

You are in one of the friendliest boards inexistence. Look forward to all your contributions.

Beast_Wars_Superior
22nd September 2008, 01:46 AM
Mabuhay! Welcome to the board. :D

you mean these type of Fanboys? :D:D:D:p
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb313/liegeprime/FanProf2.jpg

That comic made me lol pretty hard the first time I read it. I'm sure this forum is full of open-minded people who appreciate all TFs, but in the past I've felt like I'm the only BW fan in the world, forced to defend it against people who are just like the one in that comic. :p

On that note, I am a big Lilformers fan as well, though I think it's gotten pretty hit and miss since ditching the TFs.

Welcome BWS. You might recognize me as well.

I certainly do!

Excellent, another beast wars fan. Are you also interested in Beast wars II and neo?

I'm not too familiar with either of them to be honest. I have seen some BW2 figures on the net and they seem like pretty outlandish designs. Some look really creative and cool, but others looked pretty bad. Though if you want to teach me more about either of those universes, I'm all ears! ;)

Saintly
22nd September 2008, 09:09 AM
welcome BWS!

please enjoy your stay! :)

i_amtrunks
22nd September 2008, 09:28 AM
Welcome, great to have another big fan of the animal bots on the boards!

TheDirtyDigger
22nd September 2008, 10:37 AM
'Beast Wars sucks because they don't turn into vehicles'

I so agree with you there. Sorry didn't read the rest of your post but the important bit.

Haha...Welcome to the board BWS! :)
I was busy being a derelict teen/20-something when BW came out so it passed me by like a thief in the night.
I'll watch it one day on DVD. Is it out as a complete series or in Season boxsets?

griffin
22nd September 2008, 11:43 AM
I'll watch it one day on DVD. Is it out as a complete series or in Season boxsets?

Madman have released it on DVD in season sets, but they aren't as easy to find as their Gen1 releases. Rhino also released them in the US, which is what I have and could be easier to find online, but is in NTSC.

Pulse
22nd September 2008, 11:47 AM
Madman have released it on DVD in season sets, but they aren't as easy to find as their Gen1 releases. Rhino also released them in the US, which is what I have and could be easier to find online, but is in NTSC.

I've seen 'em in Ezydvd & JB Hifi stores but you've just gotta keep an eye out... :)

GoktimusPrime
22nd September 2008, 11:55 AM
I'm not too familiar with either of them to be honest. I have seen some BW2 figures on the net and they seem like pretty outlandish designs. Some look really creative and cool, but others looked pretty bad.
It's Beast Wars II, not 2. Pronounced as "Beast Wars Second," not "Beast Wars Two." Ben Yee calls it "Beast Wars the Second" as it's grammatically more correct in English, but officially it's just "Beast Wars Second."

Toywise BWII Maximals are the same moulds as other BW toys
(e.g.: Tasmania Kid is the same as Snarl, Apache is the same as B'Boom etc) whereas others are repaints (e.g.:Lio Junior is a repaint of Prowl, Powerhug is a repaint of Retrax, Diver is a repaint of Spittor et al). Lio Convoy is an original mould for that line though and the first Transformer to come with a Matrix. The Predacons are also mostly the same moulds from other BW, G1, G2 and Machine Wars figures, some repainted (e.g.: Megastorm is a repaint of G2 Megatron, Gigastorm is a repaint of Trypticon, Dirge is a repaint of MW Skywarp/Thundercracker, B.B. & Starscream are repaints of G2 Darkwing & Smokescreen (in the abandoned colours for G2 ATB Megatron & Starscream), the Auto Rollers are repaints of the G2 Autorollers (but with some abandoned designs for the G2 Autorollers being used for the first time, e.g.: Autolauncher) et al.). Some are retools of other moulds, like the Cyber Beasts, e.g.: Hellscream is a retool and repaint of Cybershark, Max B is a repaint/retool of Wolfang et al. Beast Wars II is thematically interesting in that it's beasts (Maximals) vs machines (Predacons).

The Japanese Beast Wars and BW II lines also had some cool play sets like Volcano Base and Niagara base.

Beast Wars Neo goes back to the original core concept of Beast Wars being "robots in disguise" (i.e.: realistic looking beast modes instead of Fuzors, Transmetals, Cyber Beasts etc) and gave us a lot of really nice new moulds and unique choices of beast modes that we'd never seen in Transformers before (e.g.: woolly mammoth, rabbit, giraffe, horse, queltzacoatlus, gigantosaurus, dimetrodon, ammonite, tanuki, cobra et al.).

Though if you want to teach me more about either of those universes, I'm all ears!
Thy will be done... ;) (warning - SPOILERS!)

Beast Wars II, the Beast Wars movie and Beast Wars Neo are expansions of the Canadian Beast Wars series from Mainframe Entertainment which means that they exist in the same universe.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/c/cf/Lioconvoyinemminentdomain.jpg
Optimus Primal with Lio Convoy on the planet Gaea in the Beast Wars movie

In BWII we learn that the Maximals have a Galactic Patrol as a para-military interstellar enforcement agency. The story revolves around one team of this patrol as they battle an insurgent force of renegade Predacons on the planet Gaea. In the end it turns out that the Predacons' commander Galvatron was being manipulated by Unicron. In fact, all Transformers are being influenced by Unicron to some degree. Remember that the Canadian series did point out that the Tripredacus Council and Tarantulas were creations/agents of Unicron*.

In BW Neo we learn that the Maximals have military forces and we also have a peek at the Maximal Council of Elders (aka Convoy Council) headed by Great Convoy. One team of recruits from the Maximal army battles a group of rogue Predacons in a pursuit to collect Angolmois Energy Capsules. Angolmois Energy, aka Dark Essence, is the energy from Unicron which was released when he was destroyed in G1. Unicron's spirit endures and is manipulating Transformers to elicit them to bring about his ressurection. Toward the end of the series after all the Angolmois Energy Capsules are found, Unicron unleashes his demonic heralds known as the Blentrons as well as Galvatron, who is now fully possessed by Unicron. Unicron attacks Cybertron and the Maximal Armada is called into action, literally surrounding Cybertron with Maximal warships in a defensive formation. In one move, Unicron wipes out the entire armada! (zOMG!) and moves in to the core of Cybertron where he possesses Vector Sigma and through it begins rebuilding Cybertron as his new body! (a much better idea than rebuilding Junkion as he'd previously attempted in G1 :p)

The surviving Maximals make a final stand and Unicron is ultimately defeated with the combined power of Lio Convoy and Big Convoy Matrixes... Matrices. Yeah. :)

Beast Wars II and Beast Wars Neo characters also appear in the IDW Beast Wars comics, which Simon Furman has stated is in continuity with the rest of the Beast Wars Universe. The comics does jump through time and space - on Cybertron it appears to occur shortly after the departure of the theft of the Golden Disk but before the events of BW II and Neo. On Earth it appears to occur during the events of BW Season 3.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d8/Lioconvoy_gathering.jpg/240px-Lioconvoy_gathering.jpg
Lio Convoy's Cybertronian form as portrayed in the IDW comics

Oh, and if you're wondering how the hell Optimus Primal could've travelled to planet Gaea, you can thank the Vok for that. Remember the Season 1 BW episode where Optimus Primal was kidnapped by the Vok device and Rattrap was leader for a while? During that time, Optimus Primal was transported from Earth to Gaea. He assisted Lio Convoy and his Maximals and unleashed the power of his Matrix to become Burning Beast Convoy (Lio Convoy used his Matrix to become Flash Lio Convoy) and defeated Majin Zarak. After that he was returned to whatever dimension it was that the Vok was storing him in, to re-appear on Earth ("Look who's back, and feeling Prime!"). I think that episode was "Chain of Command."

*Tarantulas was willing to kill both Autobots and Decepticons aboard the Ark which is illogical from a true Predacon's POV, but Tarantulas said that he and the Tripredacus Council have "different origins." Later Megatron refers to Tarantulas as "Unicron's spawn."

Paulbot
22nd September 2008, 12:16 PM
While BWII is correct, BW2 is an acronym commonly used and accepted amongst English-speaking Transfans to refer to Beast Wars Second (It's even used in the TF FAQ (http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~sstoneb/tf/faq/history/faces.php)) even if it leads to some people calling it Beast Wars 2.

Beast_Wars_Superior
22nd September 2008, 12:25 PM
The BW box sets shouldn't be too hard to find. Just go to JB Hifi and ask them to order it in. I bought Season 1 and 3 off the shelf, but had to order in Season 2 (arrived in a week though).

GoktimusPrime
22nd September 2008, 01:00 PM
While BWII is correct, BW2 is an acronym commonly used and accepted amongst English-speaking Transfans to refer to Beast Wars Second (It's even used in the TF FAQ) even if it leads to some people calling it Beast Wars 2.
I've never seen it written with the Hindu-Arabic numeral "2" in any official material, only ever with the Roman numeral "II." And yeah, using the Hindu-Arabic numeral has a tendency to lead people into incorrectly calling it "two" instead of "second". I would personally accept "Beast Wars 2nd" but I would question the use of "2" because "2" is always pronounced as "two" and never as "second" in English unless you use the suffix "-nd".

Paulbot
22nd September 2008, 01:17 PM
No not official but I guess I meant commonly used and understood (if not accepted :p )

Robzy
22nd September 2008, 08:35 PM

Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong! :)

Whoops! Hold on... what's the BW Universal Greeting???

Beast Wars Superior, Rock Lords Inferior.nobody is to be judged or convinced that anyone's favourite is better or worse than another. Each person likes their 'favourite' for their own reason, and in their own perception of it. Yeah - leave them Rocklords alone! ;)

GoktimusPrime
22nd September 2008, 09:04 PM
Whoops! Hold on... what's the BW Universal Greeting???
http://home.comcast.net/~gignash/optimusprimal-anim.gif "Ook-ook-ook-ook-ook!"

*Translation: "I throw my feces at you!"

:p

Pulse
22nd September 2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah - leave them Rocklords alone! ;)

That's right! No force in the universe can contain the power & the fury of Rocklords! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KauhJ_kYxE) :D

Vector Sigma 13
23rd September 2008, 04:47 PM
G1 Rocks- but so do many others. Pays to keep an open mind on here. lol.

Golden Phoenix
23rd September 2008, 11:04 PM
Hey. Welcome.
I have to agree with the not liking the extreme G1 fans. But I also don't like the extreme Beast Wars/Unicron Trilogy/Movie/etc etc fans.
My whole opinion is that you gotta chill out and find something you like about the series. Like G1. I don't like the toys, I need my articulation (something that applies to all/most of my TF rating). But I like some of the story, and some of the re-boots like the IDW stuff.

GoktimusPrime
24th September 2008, 12:48 PM
Well as Beast Machines taught us, folly lies in extremes and truth is found at the balance between extremes. i.e.: moderation. :)

Like G1. I don't like the toys, I need my articulation (something that applies to all/most of my TF rating). But I like some of the story, and some of the re-boots like the IDW stuff.
When comparing G1 toys with contemporary ones you need to keep it in perspective/context. It's kinda unfair to judge a G1 toy by contemporary toy standards. G1 toys were (overall) very good for its time. For example, if you compared the original 1984 G1 Jazz with Animated Jazz, I find that there was a lot more effort put into the engineering of the G1 figure and overall it achieved a lot more for its time. By 1984 standards G1 Jazz was really good. By 2008 standards Animated Jazz is kinda mediocre (not terribly but not exceptional either IMO).

1984 Jazz
http://www.unicron.us/tf1984/toypix/jazz2b.JPGhttp://www.unicron.us/tf1984/toypix/jazz1c.JPG
How would you rate this compared with other 1984 Transformers?

2008 Autobot Jazz
http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/45/r_jazz031.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41J6hBAwjcL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
How would you rate this compared with all Transformers created up till 2008?

Bartrim
25th September 2008, 10:38 AM
TRUKK NOT MUNKY:p:)

OMG I finally get that!!!!*slaps head* I can't believe how slow I am sometimes.

Oh BTW welcome to ozformers.

1orion2many
26th September 2008, 06:13 PM
OMG I finally get that!!!!*slaps head* I can't believe how slow I am sometimes.

Oh BTW welcome to ozformers.

:DSomeone slower than me:eek::D, in all honesty i only figured it out last week:o.