PDA

View Full Version : SPOILER THREAD: SW: The Force Awakens

Pages : 1 [2]

GoktimusPrime
13th January 2016, 01:35 AM
It's bad enough we had to sit through the Death Star battle for the 3rd time, I'm just glad they skipped Rey standing on her head levitating rocks in a swamp, while Maz gave her tutorage :rolleyes:
Be careful what you wish for. (https://i.imgur.com/MS7g12Bl.jpg) ;)

Sinnertwin
13th January 2016, 01:41 AM
haha! :D
i love the interwebz

Lord_Zed
13th January 2016, 08:56 PM
Rey's force abilities are just an easy out for the writers and Disney.
If she can accomplish what she did without any formal training, imagine what she could in her fathers care -She'd make Snoke, Ariel & Palpatine's ghost all look like 3 year olds in the ring with Ali in his prime.

It's bad enough we had to sit through the Death Star battle for the 3rd time, I'm just glad they skipped Rey standing on her head levitating rocks in a swamp, while Maz gave her tutorage :rolleyes:

The new Star Wars works better the less you think about it, or the world it's set in. But boy it's nice to have likable characters again.

Skullcruncher
13th January 2016, 09:29 PM
I saw star wars this week. It was good. :)

UltimateGalvatron
14th January 2016, 05:55 AM
Does anyone think that the opening crawl and scene of episode VIII is going too be hard to do? Because realistically they need too start where TFA left off, the opening crawl will basically just be 'previously on Star Wars!' and the opening scene will be the last scene of TFA, so... thoughts?

Paulbot
14th January 2016, 08:08 AM
My guess: I wouldn't expect the next movie to start with Rey and Luke having a chat. It will be days/weeks/months later and she'll be training as a Jedi. The opening text will give some context to the slow build action scene involving Finn and Poe on a foreign world that starts the film ("Meanwhile, General Organa has sent a group of Resistance fighters to Planet to recover mcguffin ...")

Ralph Wiggum
14th January 2016, 10:16 AM
Maybe the opening scene involves the First Order tracking down Luke and Rey at their Sanctuary and so starts with a Jedi vs Stormtroopers battle XD

UltimateGalvatron
14th January 2016, 10:41 AM
My guess: I wouldn't expect the next movie to start with Rey and Luke having a chat. It will be days/weeks/months later and she'll be training as a Jedi. The opening text will give some context to the slow build action scene involving Finn and Poe on a foreign world that starts the film ("Meanwhile, General Organa has sent a group of Resistance fighters to Planet to recover mcguffin ...")

"Meanwhile, General Organa has sent a group of Resistancs fighters to Coruscant, the former homeworld of the Old Republic and the Jedi Order, too rebuild the Senate which was destroyed by the First Order..."

or

"Luke and his new apprentice travel too Yavin 4, where Luke's new Jedi Order was destroyed by Kylo Ren..."

Trent
14th January 2016, 12:18 PM
Does anyone think that the opening crawl and scene of episode VIII is going too be hard to do? Because realistically they need too start where TFA left off, the opening crawl will basically just be 'previously on Star Wars!' and the opening scene will be the last scene of TFA, so... thoughts?

It could be done similar to The end of Empire/start of Jedi. I mean, they all knew where Boba Fett was taking Han, in theory Jedi cloud have picked up after the hyperspace jump to Tattoine. Yet they managed to create a gap of time between the two movies.

GoktimusPrime
14th January 2016, 07:28 PM
None of the other Star Wars movies have ever followed on directly from where the last ones left off. This is basically what the chronology of the films look like:
Episode II: 10 years after Episode I. Anakin has grown into a man.
Episode III: 3 years after Episode II. The events of the Clone Wars happened.
Episode IV: 19 years after Episode III. The Skywalker twins are now young adults.
Episode V: 3 years after Episode IV. Vader's been searching for Luke while the Rebels have built a base on Hoth.
Episode VI: 1 year after Episode V. Luke has completed his own Jedi training. Somehow the Empire has managed to construct a second Death Star in the last four years despite the first one taking over 20 years to build. :p*
Episode VII: 30 years after Episode VI. Some major stuff's happened. ;)
Episode VIII: ??? year(s) after Episode VII.
Episode IX: ??? year(s) after Episode VIII.

So we really don't know how much time may have lapsed between the events of Episodes VII and VIII. And a lot of stuff can happen in between. Keeps those Expanded Universe writers employed. :p

------------------------------------------------
*Oh that's right. They hired contractors. ;) #clerks

BigTransformerTrev
17th January 2016, 05:52 PM
Finally saw the flick. My thoughts:

The Cons
*Han getting killed by his son sucked massive donkey balls! I knew as soon as he and Chewie split up Han was gonna meet up with his son and get killed by him to prove the little Prat is an evil bastard. My fav ever ever ever SW character killed both predictably and for a plot point that could have been proved in another way. F-U writers!
*The killer planet thing having a spot the tie fighters could shoot to blow it up was too cliche - they should have come up with something more original.
*I don't wanna shag Carrie Fisher anymore.

The Pros
Everything else! Best SW flick we've had in decades!!!

UltimateGalvatron
17th January 2016, 07:14 PM
*I don't wanna shag Carrie Fisher anymore!!!

:D

Jetfire in the sky
17th January 2016, 08:23 PM
None of the other Star Wars movies have ever followed on directly from where the last ones left off. This is basically what the chronology of the films look like:
Episode II: 10 years after Episode I. Anakin has grown into a man.
Episode III: 3 years after Episode II. The events of the Clone Wars happened.
Episode IV: 19 years after Episode III. The Skywalker twins are now young adults.
Episode V: 3 years after Episode IV. Vader's been searching for Luke while the Rebels have built a base on Hoth.
Episode VI: 1 year after Episode V. Luke has completed his own Jedi training. Somehow the Empire has managed to construct a second Death Star in the last four years despite the first one taking over 20 years to build. :p*
Episode VII: 30 years after Episode VI. Some major stuff's happened. ;)
Episode VIII: ??? year(s) after Episode VII.
Episode IX: ??? year(s) after Episode VIII.

So we really don't know how much time may have lapsed between the events of Episodes VII and VIII. And a lot of stuff can happen in between. Keeps those Expanded Universe writers employed.

Which makes C3P0 and R2D2 over 66 year old technology :p :D

griffin
17th January 2016, 09:14 PM
The thing that bugged me about the prequels is that they didn't make Obi Wan old enough... because he looked at least over 70 in Ep4, but if Obi Wan looked to be about 25 in Ep1, he would would still only look about 55 based on the estimates by Goktimus above.

Unfortunately, I think they needed to show Obi Wan as a padawan first in Ep1, but it wouldn't make much sense that he'd still be one at about 40 if they start their training by the age of 5. (unless he was a reeeeally slow learner :p )

Jetfire in the sky
17th January 2016, 09:31 PM
The thing that bugged me about the prequels is that they didn't make Obi Wan old enough... because he looked at least over 70 in Ep4, but if Obi Wan looked to be about 25 in Ep1, he would would still only look about 55 based on the estimates by Goktimus above.

Unfortunately, I think they needed to show Obi Wan as a padawan first in Ep1, but it wouldn't make much sense that he'd still be one at about 40 if they start their training by the age of 5. (unless he was a reeeeally slow learner :p )

The life of a desert hermit will age one beyond their years (plus beard, white hair and a tonne of war) :p:D

Sinnertwin
17th January 2016, 10:12 PM
Obi Wan was 57 when he died, while Sir Alec was 63 years old when he played the part. Seems plausible to me :)

Bonus fun fact, Darth Vader was 46 when he met his maker.

Paulbot
17th January 2016, 10:16 PM

The amount of time that passes between the prequels and original trilogy never quite made sense to me. It's roughly 20 years, canonically, yet people who are clearly more than 20 years old talk about the Jedi as if they are from the long past, and possibly mythical, rather than in living memory.

But the Imperial officer who says "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you" was clearly old enough to have seen holovids of the Emperor talking about the assassination attempt on him by the Jedi that birthed the Galatic Empire.

(Same thing happened in TFA, I thought Luke Skywalker was a myth, but 30 years later and coming from a woman orphaned on a desert planet makes more sense.)

Megatran
17th January 2016, 10:23 PM
My guess: I wouldn't expect the next movie to start with Rey and Luke having a chat. It will be days/weeks/months later and she'll be training as a Jedi.
Oh great. Another under aged kid about to be groomed.

griffin
17th January 2016, 10:44 PM
Obi Wan was 57 when he died, while Sir Alec was 63 years old when he played the part. Seems plausible to me :)

He was only 63 when he played that part? He looked so much older.
I guess that was before the age-defying creams and treatments and plastic surgery, making today's celebrities look 20-30 years younger than they really are.

Trent
18th January 2016, 08:17 AM
The amount of time that passes between the prequels and original trilogy never quite made sense to me. It's roughly 20 years, canonically, yet people who are clearly more than 20 years old talk about the Jedi as if they are from the long past, and possibly mythical, rather than in living memory.

But the Imperial officer who says "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you" was clearly old enough to have seen holovids of the Emperor talking about the assassination attempt on him by the Jedi that birthed the Galatic Empire.

(Same thing happened in TFA, I thought Luke Skywalker was a myth, but 30 years later and coming from a woman orphaned on a desert planet makes more sense.)

While you have a point about the officer, for the general population of the galaxy, Jedi were probably a bit like myths/legends even at the height of the republic. In that time the average galactic citizen would most likely be able to live their life quite easily without ever seeing a jedi. If you live on a peaceful planet, (realitically) giving the jedi no reason to ever go there, you can see how, over time, the jedi would quite quickly and easily fall into myth and obscurity. The nature of their ways also meant that they relegated themselves to the background, seeking neither fame nor attention.

I think it would have been quite easy for Palpatine to convince the populace that the jedi were evil and had attempted a coup. He was a very popular politician. And don't underestimate what popular politicians can get away with ;)

Starscream77
18th January 2016, 11:36 AM
Finally saw the flick. My thoughts:

The Cons
*Han getting killed by his son sucked massive donkey balls! I knew as soon as he and Chewie split up Han was gonna meet up with his son and get killed by him to prove the little Prat is an evil bastard. My fav ever ever ever SW character killed both predictably and for a plot point that could have been proved in another way. F-U writers!
*The killer planet thing having a spot the tie fighters could shoot to blow it up was too cliche - they should have come up with something more original.
*I don't wanna shag Carrie Fisher anymore.

The Pros
Everything else! Best SW flick we've had in decades!!!

You can actually thank Harrison Ford for Han's death. He would only sign on for the movie if they killed off his character (trivia: something he asked Lucas to do in ROTJ but Lucas refused). Ford has always had a bad relationship with Star Wars and for years would refused to talk about it

GoktimusPrime
20th January 2016, 08:30 PM
Also fun fact: this isn't the first time that Ford had Han killed off either. In The Empire Strikes Back, Ford wasn't convinced that he'd come back for Episode VI, but Lucas really wanted him to return. So they wrote in the scene where Han would be frozen in carbonite. If Ford decided to not return, they would simply say that he didn't survive the hibernation. If Ford changed his mind, then they would write some side plot to somehow retrieve Han. Ford of course was convinced to return for the third installment, hence why the movie starts off with Han's rescue. I think this time round, Abrams didn't want to do go through that whole rigmarole, because even if they convinced Ford to come back for Ep VIII, the first act would be yetanother let's-save-Han story. :rolleyes: So Abrams probably just went, "Yeah, fine. We'll kill Han."

Storywise, this scene was better set up for in a deleted scene. Leader Snoke and Kylo Ren are fully aware that Darth Vader reverted to becoming Anakin Skywalker, returning to the Light Side and killing the Emperor, saving Luke etc. Ren would've grown up hearing this story from his Uncle Luke no doubt. However, Snoke taught Ren/Ben that this was a single moment of weakness in who was otherwise the ultimate Dark Lord of the Sith. And in order to ensure that Ren would "immunise" himself from Vader's weakness, his 'baptism' into the Dark Side would need to be killing off Han Solo. Thus severing the possibility of his love for a family member becoming his "weakness" in heeding the call of the Light, as happened to his grandfather.

Of course, this weakness would still exist in Leia... so does this mean that Ren wants to kill her next? One might argue that it would exist in Luke as well, since he is his uncle.

Killing off loved ones seems to be a common way of sealing a Jedi's fate into the Dark Side. Anakin was led to believe that he killed Padmé* and the existence of the twins was hidden from him; so as far as he knew, he killed his wife. This drove him into the Dark Side until his encounter with Luke reignited the conflict inside him, ultimately allowing him to redeem himself to the Light.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*IMO Anakin did kill Padmé. I don't buy this whole, "she died from a broken heart" rubbish. :rolleyes: To me, the Force Choke that Anakin used inflicted some sort of injury that was undetectable to the Kallidahin doctors.

Sinnertwin
20th January 2016, 09:27 PM
"We don't know why. She has lost the will to live"

Every time I hear that this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEQnzs8wl6E) comes to mind :rolleyes::p

Paulbot
20th January 2016, 10:05 PM
Talking about the film at work yesterday, I speculated that Rey might be Leia and Han's daughter and Kylo Ren's twin sister. I compared it in jest to the classic story of He-Man and She-Ra, with Rey in Adora's role.

And although it started as a joke, I realised it could work when I recalled Padme having twins was a surprise at their birth. Maybe Leia too might have carried twins without knowing it. If she was knocked out/unconscious/drugged at the time, and Han busy elsewhere, who knows if someone took off with the baby girl?!

GoktimusPrime
21st January 2016, 01:56 AM
The Hidden Truth Behind Star Wars (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QufZ3CjjODA)

drifand
21st January 2016, 09:27 AM
Talking about the film at work yesterday, I speculated that Rey might be Leia and Han's daughter and Kylo Ren's twin sister. I compared it in jest to the classic story of He-Man and She-Ra, with Rey in Adora's role.

And although it started as a joke, I realised it could work when I recalled Padme having twins was a surprise at their birth. Maybe Leia too might have carried twins without knowing it. If she was knocked out/unconscious/drugged at the time, and Han busy elsewhere, who knows if someone took off with the baby girl?!

The shity part about this would be Luke saying the same thing as Yoda did "Your brother he is, you felt it didn't you?" lol

They may have left it as an open to interpretation for now as they can very well swing towards what fans want or speculate.

Jetfire in the sky
23rd January 2016, 07:34 AM
Just a random thought here, pretty much plot hole pointing. In ANH when the boys and Chewie start firing in the detention centre they shoot what look to be security cameras and/or defence weapons on the walls and near the ceiling. Now given that the Empire should have undertaken some risk management and strategic planning when building Starkiller base they could have at a minimum surmised that installing security cameras around the place would be a good idea, had they been installed everywhere on the first Death Star everyone would have been found, captured and possibly executed, Bam! No more heroes to save the day.
So when Rey escapes after using her Jedi mind trick we see headless chicken like small squads double timing it here and there, not the way to conduct a thorough search in your own base, instead of a central command area with multiple screens using facial recognition technology to find her!
Anyway just a thought :p
I really liked the movie and am off to see it for a third time on Wednesday so perhaps this is one point like others I managed to justify when I saw it the second time that will get "fixed" up in my little Star Wars World. :D

BigTransformerTrev
23rd January 2016, 11:06 AM
You can actually thank Harrison Ford for Han's death. He would only sign on for the movie if they killed off his character (trivia: something he asked Lucas to do in ROTJ but Lucas refused). Ford has always had a bad relationship with Star Wars and for years would refused to talk about it

Yeah I had heard this. Funny that he hates Star Wars considering he is the only main actor from the original flicks whose career didn't die afterwards

GoktimusPrime
7th February 2016, 10:48 AM
The Solo Family. :)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Star%20Wars/starwars_solos_zpsbdyxukvm.jpg
Btw, is there a general consensus on when this movie may be considered to be past its "spoiler expiry date"? After it's finished its cinema run? Upon DVD release?

Gutsman Heavy
8th February 2016, 09:20 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Star%20Wars/starwars_solos_zpsbdyxukvm.jpg
Btw, is there a general consensus on when this movie may be considered to be past its "spoiler expiry date"? After it's finished its cinema run? Upon DVD release?

Dunno, but no one seems to care anymore, I guess about 1-2 months?

Bladestorm
19th February 2016, 11:56 PM

My question is how can 2 people as good looking as Han and Leia produce ... THAT.

Talk about some throwback to primordial genes or something.

All I could think when Ren too the mask off was "put it back on! put it back on!"

MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!!
20th February 2016, 02:37 AM
My question is how can 2 people as good looking as Han and Leia produce ... THAT.

All I could think when Ren too the mask off was "put it back on! put it back on!"

It's the reason why he joined the Dark Side -- one look in the mirror and it sent him over the edge!

Plus they were the only ones who could provide a face mask integrated into his helmet.

Megatran
30th March 2016, 06:54 PM
Harison Ford was interviewed on one of those American gossipy shows. He didn't want to drop any spoilers from The Force Awakens ... just in case there was one or two hermits who haven't still seen the movie yet. :rolleyes:

5FDP
1st April 2016, 02:41 PM
Vader is Luke's father ;) :p

BruiseLee
1st April 2016, 03:08 PM

Yep..I found him more scary without his mask.

Anyone remember a recentish case in the news where a the father of a couple of kids was taking his wife to court because their kids were not cute or something. Think he initially thought that she was having an affair but later found out that she had plastic surgery. He was suing for being mislead or something :rolleyes:

If I recall correctly he wasn't a prize beauty anyway...

jazzcomp
1st April 2016, 06:11 PM
Yep..I found him more scary without his mask.

Anyone remember a recentish case in the news where a the father of a couple of kids was taking his wife to court because their kids were not cute or something. Think he initially thought that she was having an affair but later found out that she had plastic surgery. He was suing for being mislead or something :rolleyes:

If I recall correctly he wasn't a prize beauty anyway...
He may be average looking but I think the problem was that the kids didn't look like him or his wife.

Nobody really is attracted to "fake" beauty long term.