PDA

View Full Version : Disney Crossovers - Yeah you heard right

kup
23rd September 2008, 11:26 AM
I knew the Crossover lines were heading in the stupid direction with Marvel Crossovers but this Disney thing is beyond stupid:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/crossovers-12/coming-soon-to-japan-transformers-crossovers-disney-starring-mickey-mouse-165852/

I hope its not real and just a joke :rolleyes:

iceburn
23rd September 2008, 11:27 AM
I knew the Crossover lines were heading in the stupid direction with Marvel Crossovers but this Disney thing is beyond stupid:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/crossovers-12/coming-soon-to-japan-transformers-crossovers-disney-starring-mickey-mouse-165852/

I hope its not real and just a joke :rolleyes:

you seriously got to be joking kup!!!!
this is getting WEIRD!!

Paulbot
23rd September 2008, 11:37 AM
:D :D :D

That is the most hilarious news I've heard in ages! It's something I would never have imagined happening, but Disney characters are huge in Japan so it could be true.

Talk about shaking things up!

I wonder if it would could see something like Kingdom Hearts? That'd be cool.

(My video game crossovers don't seem too out there now.)

iceburn
23rd September 2008, 11:49 AM
i showed it to my colleague (non-TF fan) and he says he's excited about it...
*duh*

Paulbot
23rd September 2008, 11:54 AM
I'm excited about it too. I would love a Donald Duck transformer (with Chip 'n' Dale minicons!!)

Gutsman Heavy
23rd September 2008, 12:01 PM
OMFG!!! YES! :p

I really hope they do Simba, transfroms from Lion to Lion!

I CAN'T wait to see these!

JuzMel
23rd September 2008, 12:09 PM
Gosh this is too disturbing!? I love my disney characters, what are they gonna transform into? Mickey mouse into house rat on all fours? :o :eek:

Paulbot
23rd September 2008, 12:12 PM
If they go down the Kingdom Hearts path then they could venture out into fantasy forms?

And remember "you don't need to buy everything" :)

i_amtrunks
23rd September 2008, 12:17 PM
Gosh this is too disturbing!? I love my disney characters, what are they gonna transform into? Mickey mouse into house rat on all fours? :o :eek:

Depending on size I'd be thinking of "Steamboat Willie" as an alt mode for the mouse.

Personally I think general Disney character Transformers would be terrible (Mickey, Pluto, Goofy), but there could be some better options in spin-off and shows from the 90's, Tail Spin, Darkwing Dark and Duck Tales in particular.

Personally I'd like to see a combiner with Huey, Dewey and Lewie! :p

kup
23rd September 2008, 12:30 PM

A Beast Wars perversion?

Mickey Mouse - Maximize!!

Pluto - Maximize!!

Donald Duck -Terrorize!! ?

Pulse
23rd September 2008, 12:57 PM
Disney must be paying HasTak an absolute fortune...

Someone deserves to get fired over this... :rolleyes:

Stompy
23rd September 2008, 12:58 PM
I dunno how to take this news in... I guess the real question is what alt modes will they have? Will it be random vehicles/furniture/items much like Marvel or something in the Universe. The mind boggles. Will wait til I see pictures.

GoktimusPrime
23rd September 2008, 01:13 PM
Maybe it's a Tokyo Disneyland exclusive toy. If so I think it's a reasonably neat idea just as a novelty. I'd get one if I saw it on sale at Disneyland but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, say by bidding some ridiculous price for it on eBay. Buzz Lightyear and Emperor Zurg TFs could be alright. :)

Also, the silhouette appears to have Mickey piloting TF Mickey on the top of his head like in a lot of old school super robot animé (e.g. Mazinger) as parodied by Panda-Z.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0009WFEMS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Saintly
23rd September 2008, 02:01 PM
this could be alright... though I still can't stomach the idea

HasTak will be eating straight from younglings... the only thing will be their cost!

sifun
23rd September 2008, 02:10 PM
They could put a new angle on mickey...
Like how they did in Kingdom hearts video games series.
(mickey is badass in that and knows how to open whoop ass)

SilverDragon
23rd September 2008, 06:53 PM
What. The. [insert four letter profanity here].

What would they turn into? It makes no SENSE.

What also makes no sense is why this is a Japan-only thing. Both TFs and Disney are American (though I do know that TFs originated in Japan), so why isn't Hasbro-who normally makes these things-announcing this?

kup
23rd September 2008, 07:29 PM

What also makes no sense is why this is a Japan-only thing. Both TFs and Disney are American (though I do know that TFs originated in Japan), so why isn't Hasbro-who normally makes these things-announcing this?

Disney is pretty universal so expect to see them in the International market in the near future.

I was afraid that crossovers were going to end up something like this. Before you know it any brand who pays enough money to Hasbro will have a crossover and we will end up with all sorts of 'no sense' transformers.

My concern is that this will dilute the Transformers brand name into a 'gimmick for hire' line.

What's next? Bratz crossovers?

Lord_Zed
23rd September 2008, 07:31 PM
Wow that's just wierd!

Well as Disney was the dark prince of Hollywood I'm asuming Mickey will be a Decepticon.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/c2/Marc_Eliot%27s_Walt_Disney_-_Hollywood%27s_Dark_Prince_biography.jpg

Sam
23rd September 2008, 07:35 PM
If LEGO and Hasbro teamed up to do LEGO Transformers, that would be something.

But this is too weird.

jacksplatt11
23rd September 2008, 07:36 PM
wow.. just wow

Tetsuwan Convoy
23rd September 2008, 08:25 PM

Disney is indeed american, but you have to see to believe the popularity of Mickey and Co in Japan! Trust me when I say it will freak you out!

Judging by the silhouette though, it looks like characters will piolt ships that are reminscent of themselves.

Intriguing and I must admit I am curious

SilverDragon
23rd September 2008, 08:36 PM
Disney is indeed american, but you have to see to believe the popularity of Mickey and Co in Japan! Trust me when I say it will freak you out!

A lot of things about Japan freak me out. Like Kiss Players, and vending machines which dispense used panties.

I do, however, know how enamoured they are with Disney. *coughKingdomHeartscough*

Tetsuwan Convoy
23rd September 2008, 08:45 PM
A lot of things about Japan freak me out. Like Kiss Players, and vending machines which dispense used panties.

I do, however, know how enamoured they are with Disney. *coughKingdomHeartscough*

LOL! Well said!

Interestingly enough, My (Japanese) Missus walked in and saw the picture and was slightly amused. As opposed to her usualy *sigh* reaction I get with any other Transformers thing. So it looks like it will probably work in Japan at least..

FFN
23rd September 2008, 09:43 PM
Disney is pretty universal so expect to see them in the International market in the near future.

I was afraid that crossovers were going to end up something like this. Before you know it any brand who pays enough money to Hasbro will have a crossover and we will end up with all sorts of 'no sense' transformers.

My concern is that this will dilute the Transformers brand name into a 'gimmick for hire' line.

What's next? Bratz crossovers? Despite the fact that this Disney thing seems to be for Tomy rather than Hasbro, I think you misunderstand how the crossover things work. Marvel and Lucasfilm doesn't pay Hasbro to do Transformers Crossovers. Hasbro pays them (it helps that Hasbro also makes Marvel and Star Wars toys). All of the crossovers done so far have been with franchises and properties that are much bigger than Transformers and also happen to be part of Hasbro's product line.

As for this specific crossover, hasn't TakaraTomy been doing unconventional, short-lived TF toylines since 2006? Sports Label, Music Label, Kiss Players ect.

kup
23rd September 2008, 09:48 PM
Despite the fact that this Disney thing seems to be for Tomy rather than Hasbro, I think you misunderstand how the crossover things work. Marvel and Lucasfilm doesn't pay Hasbro to do Transformers Crossovers. Hasbro pays them (it helps that Hasbro also makes Marvel and Star Wars toys). All of the crossovers done so far have been with franchises and properties that are much bigger than Transformers and also happen to be part of Hasbro's product line.

As for this specific crossover, hasn't TakaraTomy been doing unconventional, short-lived TF toylines since 2006? Sports Label, Music Label, Kiss Players ect.

Despite who licenses who, the outcome is the same, more nonsense lines.

Takara has done mini lines like this before but never with a universal brand such as this.

autobreadticon
23rd September 2008, 10:05 PM
disney characters becoming transformers is just silly, but if its like a story crossover like Gi-Joe or marvel that would be awesome. I loved Disney collaboration with Square-enix in Kingdom Hearts, reminds me i should get some formation art PVCs :D

kurdt_the_goat
23rd September 2008, 10:19 PM

While i don't doubt they exist, i've never seen one in person! And trust me when i say that the amount of vending machines they have over there has huge convenience and cost of living benefits, which is obvious just from the short time i've spent in Japan! Everyone would love it if we had the same kind of setup over here, perhaps excluding just the panties :)

hotaru_oz
23rd September 2008, 10:50 PM
Disney Transfirmers? I'm confused, what the hell will they transform into?

GoktimusPrime
23rd September 2008, 10:56 PM
While i don't doubt they exist, i've never seen one in person!
I believe the used-panties vending machines have been outlawed in most Prefectures now. And it wasn't based on anything to do with "morality" or "modesty" - someone pointed out that they were in violation of hygene laws. :p

loophole
23rd September 2008, 10:57 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! this would mean there will never be a Looney Tunes crossover $%#^ you Disney why do you have to get your grubby hands into erverything.... i mean if this was gonna be WB crossover line that would be way better but Disney grrrrrrrr!!!!!!

TF76
23rd September 2008, 10:59 PM
I have no problem with it, they might be really cute. It more exciting to me than a lot of transformers news of late.

1orion2many
23rd September 2008, 11:12 PM
I already have a really really really low opinion of the cross overs and this certainly isn't going to improve it:rolleyes:.

Pulse
23rd September 2008, 11:15 PM
disney characters becoming transformers is just silly

I think you've summed it up perfectly... :)

Golden Phoenix
23rd September 2008, 11:25 PM
I'm curious to what will come out of this. The hope of anything decent coming from this simply does not exist.
The only good thing I could see coming out of this, and it is a stretch of the imagination, is that maybe, just maybe, I could get my missus one of these and then she would slowly get hooked on Transformers in general.

MV75
24th September 2008, 06:42 AM
Despite who licenses who, the outcome is the same, more nonsense lines.

Takara has done mini lines like this before but never with a universal brand such as this.

What is Nike then? ;)

And yet for some reason beyond my senses, people lapped the stupid things up like they were a box of turkish delights.

Golden Phoenix
24th September 2008, 08:47 AM
What is Nike then? ;)

And yet for some reason beyond my senses, people lapped the stupid things up like they were a box of turkish delights.

That was because it was Megatron and Optimus Prime. And as Takara said when they were designing the Binaltech/Alternators Dodge Ram Optimus Prime, they wanted it as Prime because he sells a lot better.
I don't think they will do a Prime and what not, just Mickey and his friends. As such I can't seem to figure out just how the fandom will react to the actual figures.
If they are good, you will probably hear a lot of people saying that certain ones would make great Insert Name Here and just end up modding them

Paulbot
24th September 2008, 09:23 AM
I think Transfandom wouldn't be the target for Disney Transformers, Disney fandom would be, and in fact Japanese Disney Fandom. As others have said here, and a friend of mine who taught English in Japan told me, the Disney characters are huge in Japan.

As for how fandom will react? Some Transfans will still be interested (as they are in SWTF and Marvel Crossovers), some will happily let those toys be as another wacky Japanese novelty, and some will think it's the worst thing ever. :)

Saintly
24th September 2008, 11:10 AM
ya know... this could be a (possible) confirmation that Botcon'09 could be held in Disneyworld??

GoktimusPrime
24th September 2008, 12:52 PM
I think Disney TFs would be really cool if they were exclusive to Disneyworld and Disneylands. I know that there's lots of exclusive toys and merchandise sold at Disneylands... I browse through the toys when I'm there but I've never bought any. But I must admit that if I ever saw exclusive Disney Transformers while I was at Disneyland - hell yeah I'd buy it! :p

I wouldn't go to Disneyland just for the sake of buying the toy, but if I happened to be in Disneyland (cos come on, it's freakin' FUN - and I seriously hate Disney but I still love Disneyland - damnit!) I would buy Disney TFs! :D

Pulse
23rd October 2008, 12:33 AM
These new transformation pics are interesting...

http://www.db-destiny.net/squirrels/Mickey.jpg

http://img518.imageshack.us/img518/1185/1224665901619ax6.jpg

Sure it's kind-of a shellformer but for a Mickey Tribute, it works! :) (But it definitely hasn't swayed me into forking out for him...)

STL
23rd October 2008, 12:39 AM
I think the transformation looks kind of "cute" which is strange and makes it kind of appealing. :eek: I may get this just on account of the "cute" transformation tho I can't really tell how much of that is attributable to the cute look of the toy.:confused:

kurdt_the_goat
23rd October 2008, 12:40 AM
The bottom right of the scan says how the smaller Mickey appears as a driver in truck mode! Pretty fun looking

griffin
23rd October 2008, 02:21 AM
I guess it has to be very simplistic to transform, as it would be aimed at a really young consumer (like 5 year olds).

MV75
23rd October 2008, 07:58 AM
Even as a kid I wouldn't want that toy. More like 2 year olds it would go to. :D

GoktimusPrime
23rd October 2008, 08:42 AM
That's freakin' sweet! I like how Mickey is riding on top of the mecha's head - very Mazinger/Panda-Z-esque! :D

i_amtrunks
23rd October 2008, 11:11 AM
I think it's alright for what it is (similar to the FAB Movie figures) but it's certainly not something I'd hunt down.

It looks cartoonish in both modes so at least it is consistent.

jacksplatt11
23rd October 2008, 11:48 AM
I don't think I'd go after it unless I could get it for $1...

autobreadticon
23rd October 2008, 01:49 PM
i don't even want to think what vehicle modes Goofey and Donald Duck will have. Volkwagen Donald duck???? =_=

Kyle
23rd October 2008, 03:13 PM
Megatron = Donald Duck...? :D

I actually like this Mickey. :o

hotaru_oz
23rd October 2008, 03:18 PM
it doesn't look that bad, I wouldn't mind picking it up if it's not too expensive.

MV75
23rd October 2008, 03:25 PM
Although a steamboat instead of a truck would make infinitly more sense.....

kup
23rd October 2008, 03:28 PM
Although a steamboat instead of a truck would make infinitly more sense.....

I totally agree!

I guess with TakTom everything has to be convoy nowadays.

Paulbot
23rd October 2008, 04:12 PM
I get a "Bulkhead" kind of vibe from the toy transformation photos, the way the boxy bits fold up into a backpack.

iceburn
23rd October 2008, 04:18 PM

what's goofy then? Starscream???

Pulse
23rd October 2008, 06:34 PM
Do you think he'll be a Tokyo Disneyland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Disneyland) exclusive? (as well as the online stores)

Lord_Zed
24th October 2008, 01:00 AM

Sure hope so, Donald Duck is a loose cannon, so that would be pretty appropriate.

I would think Goofy would be Ironhide.

Ofcourse what re really need is Ratbat Scrooge Mcduck!

Stompy
24th October 2008, 10:53 AM
Despite the move to have the botmode of a robot Mickey cosplaying Optimus Prime, the figure looks to be fun. Plus the Japanese love these types of cross marketing. Especially Disney.

The conversion isn't what I expected and was a little dissapointed to see that everything just folds up inside the trailer. Although I do like how Mickey is (automatically?) on top of the robot's head as a "mecha-pilot".

I don't think there's much chance this will come out outside of Japan.

i_amtrunks
24th October 2008, 11:15 AM
I showed the gf the pics of this last night, and she thought it was cute, and now wants one.

I expect that there would be many people with the same sentiment.

Bartrim
24th October 2008, 12:09 PM
Sure hope so, Donald Duck is a loose cannon, so that would be pretty appropriate.

I would think Goofy would be Ironhide.

Ofcourse what re really need is Ratbat Scrooge Mcduck!

What about Donald as Soundwave with Huey, Dewey and Louie as Ravage, Laserbeak and Rumble :D

Lord_Zed
24th October 2008, 01:27 PM
What about Donald as Soundwave with Huey, Dewey and Louie as Ravage, Laserbeak and Rumble :D

Sure, but can you Imagine Soundwave having a hissy fit at someone, and stomping on his hat?