PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Link Japan - Help!

Robzy
19th January 2008, 02:04 PM
I'm just writing to see what everyone's thoughts are on HLJ. I've never used them personally, but I know a lot of people on this forum have. I've read a lot of positive and negative things about them, and I'm wondering (from those who've experienced dealing with them, or know people who have) what they're like. Are they always reliable? A lot of people have said they take people's pre-orders, but then don't fulfil them. Others have said that they're expensive!

Are they worth dealing with? Are they okay with stock they've got in, but not with pre-orders? Should I pre-order stuff elsewhere and just use HLJ to buy figures they have 'in stock' only? Are there any other sites anyone would recommend?

Thanks! :)

benben2142
19th January 2008, 02:15 PM
Yes there honest and cheap!

GoktimusPrime
19th January 2008, 02:19 PM
I've always found them to be reliable. I've never personally had a pre-order knocked back, but I know some who have - but they're usually on very popular items. If they knock back your pre-order you don't get charged, you only get charged after they ship the item to you.

As for prices, they're neither cheap nor expensive. You pay the standard recommended retail price for toys as they are in Japan - so in other words, it's the same price you would pay for Japanese toys if you were to buy them off the shelves from a store in Japan. Then you pay for shipping.

It's a perfectly reasonable pricing policy. The only way to get it cheaper would be either:
+ If you happen to be in Japan you can go sales hunting
+ Get someone you know in Japan to go sales hunting for you
...but sales hunting can be slow and tedious...

There's obviously pros and cons in both ways, but in terms of online shopping I would definitely highly recommend HLJ!

iceburn
19th January 2008, 05:36 PM
I can say HLJ has never failed my orders so far and items gets delivered fast and quick via EMS. Others were mentioned by Gok. Price wise...they have turned out much more reasonable than most US online stores.

gamblor916
19th January 2008, 05:40 PM
I've never had a problem with HLJ. Their prices and shipping has always been good. Pre-orders are ok as well provided you get in early. Plus they sometimes give a small discount for pre-orders.

Robzy
19th January 2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks everyone! :) I really appreciate it!

iceburn
19th January 2008, 06:04 PM
I've never had a problem with HLJ. Their prices and shipping has always been good. Pre-orders are ok as well provided you get in early. Plus they sometimes give a small discount for pre-orders.

You mean EarlyBird prices that is usually -200yen

Tiby
19th January 2008, 07:17 PM
I'm happy with them.

dirge
19th January 2008, 07:54 PM
Nothing but love. Prices are good, postage charges are reasonable, they mainain their website well (ie the listings are always reflective of stock, if they don't have it, you'll know about it).

I've never had a pre-order knocked back myself, and I know they do try to close preorders when they believe they're going to be unable to fulfill the demand.

Tober
19th January 2008, 07:58 PM
Out of the MANY orders I've had with HLJ there have only been a few times that they have failed me. Once being when I preordered 2 of a rare item and they took one away :(

If you order a whole bunch of items and are waiting on others to arrive you do risk having items on your wait list going out of stock. This can result in orders not being fulfilled - the one true I have found with HLJ's stocking policy - which they do outline if you bother reading it, so sometimes it's worth using the "ship available items now" option to avoid disappointment - it usually doesnt make a huge difference if you are shipping SAL. EMS can be a different story.

The other annoying thing is their order and payment processing times - it usually takes them over a week to ship my orders. Much longer if they are in a holiday period as well. There are very few staff there and orders are mostly handeled manually and individually.

Robzy
19th January 2008, 08:14 PM
Thanks again for the feedback everyone. :)

iceburn
19th January 2008, 09:06 PM
Yes, I believe at one stage HLJ was under staffed. They have recently moved to a new warehouse and i guess have increased on their staff for this new year onwards.

Zippo
19th January 2008, 09:16 PM
Used to deal with them in my earlier collecting days and then got really cheesed off at them at one point (I think it was because they started sending one item at a time when I ordered multiple in stock items and/or things started arriving damaged)

I went back to them last year, and they have ben really good! Though I did get a heap of Encore Megatrons in that were damaged..

STL
20th January 2008, 11:10 PM
I highly recommend them. They're my first stop for Japanese stuff. I've had one problem with them and that was when I placed a preorder on MP06. My order didn't get fulfilled but I do know that I put that preorder in about 2 months after it was opened so I'm not surprised I missed out (tho shocked I was at the time).

So I suspect they sometimes they take more pre-orders than they should and that's when they put an "order stop" sign on the item when they're no longer certain they can meet demand.

Other than that, as with everyone else, no problems. I'm very happy. I know someone who collects Japanese model kits and they find it very reliable too.

Robzy
21st January 2008, 05:58 PM
Sounds good! Thanks again. :)

The_Damned
29th January 2008, 11:02 PM
i must say it is the most poorly designed site i have ever seen and isnt very user friendly and it is only pot luck i am able to find what i am looking for and even then it is only because i have found the link for the transformer posted on this site.

STL
29th January 2008, 11:11 PM
i must say it is the most poorly designed site i have ever seen and isnt very user friendly and it is only pot luck i am able to find what i am looking for and even then it is only because i have found the link for the transformer posted on this site.

That's true enough. That is my principal complaint about them. Why is there an Action Figures section? A Toys Section? And then why are some figures from the same line put into two different sections? Anyway, I'm used to it by now and I more importantly appreciate their good service

jaydisc
29th January 2008, 11:35 PM
Yeah, my 1st few trips to the site were infuriating. I understand the idosynchracies now and can work around them.

benben2142
30th January 2008, 12:49 AM
I think HLJ is super super super super super super super super super super super super super SLOW!

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2008, 06:01 PM
So don't order from them anymore.

Off to Japan with you now. Scott Hardy will be expecting you angrily knocking at his store. Have someone video your fight with him and post it on YouTube. :)