PDA

View Full Version : KO Mirage warning

Demonac
24th September 2008, 06:56 PM
There is one on ebay au ending shortly.
I'm thinking of winning it to stop it falling in some naive persons hands.
Seeing as the item is KO, I'm under no obligation to pay for it, at least I don't think so.
What do the rest of you think?

Demonac
24th September 2008, 07:00 PM
It helps if I reference my stuff.
KO info: www.tfw2005.com/boards/1505652-post92.html
Item number: 110291655273

kup
24th September 2008, 07:02 PM
risky as you may end up with the hassle of having to proof to ebay that its KO and that could go sour depending on how flexible the Ebay staff attending you is.

gamblor916
24th September 2008, 07:30 PM
Believe me ebay and paypal for that matter don't have a clue when it comes to KOs. You as a buyer have to prove (with testimony from an unbiased third party to verify) that it is a KO.

Or you could bid something ridiculous like $1,000,000 and have the auction cancelled like what happened with Splendour in the Grass tickets. :/

dirge
24th September 2008, 07:38 PM
someone else has to counterbid him (:

Demonac
24th September 2008, 07:42 PM
Who says I'm actually going to pay for this?
Winning and paying are 2 different things.
I intend to simply keep it out of an unwitting persons hands.

gamblor916
24th September 2008, 07:52 PM
What exactly is the penalty for a non paying bidder? Does your account get deducted in some way down the track?

dirge
24th September 2008, 07:59 PM
Who says I'm actually going to pay for this?
Winning and paying are 2 different things.
I intend to simply keep it out of an unwitting persons hands.

Yeah but eBay are more likely to pull the auction if the bidding actually GETS to $45,000,000..

GoktimusPrime
24th September 2008, 08:45 PM
have you reported the auction to eBay?

Rampage
24th September 2008, 09:37 PM
What exactly is the penalty for a non paying bidder? Does your account get deducted in some way down the track?

they dont have any way to make you pay:D

the seller can just get a strike put against your name for not bidding nothing else

3 strikes & your out

Demonac
24th September 2008, 10:11 PM
Well, I won the auction ($202!!).
I'll get shipping quotes, then let him know I've been informed the item might be counterfeit.
This seller is pretty well known for selling KO's. At the last collectables fair at Malvern, his stall had pretty much every KO available for sale, at genuine G1 prices.

Sky Shadow
24th September 2008, 10:15 PM
Okay, good luck. I'm not sure you should do it regularly from your usual eBay account (although now that they've eliminated negative feedback, I wonder what they can do to you). I guess if you have another email address from which you can start up a new eBay account then you can always bid away without concerns.

I've had similar qualms about some Masters of the Universe auctions recently - not knockoffs, but people have been selling 2000-2001 reissues without the outer boxes (the bit that makes it clear that they're not the originals) and thus they appear to be MOC 80's toys. ("These guys have been in storage for years now", he says in every description. Yeah 'years', like 'a few'. Not the twenty-five that innocent buyers have been inferring.) They've gone as high as $325 (one could get them with their collector boxes from the US for maybe $15 plus postage.) They've even received constant positive feedback - I don't understand it at all. And they're still doing it again and again because they keep getting away with it. It's like having an auction for a commemorative 2002 Optimus Prime with a blurb written in such a way that people will infer that it's the 1984 version. It makes me mad. :mad:

Pulse
24th September 2008, 10:38 PM
That's alot of effort to go to just to rub a KO in a Seller's face... :) (& ultimately take one more step towards getting them in strife :D)

Demonac
24th September 2008, 10:44 PM
It's no effort at all. :P
But this seller is known to be fairly unscrupulous.
Most Melbourne fans know who it is and where the shop is located.

Tober
25th September 2008, 12:28 AM
Although it warms my heart to see you screwing over counterfeit sellers, won't he simply be able to offer it to the next highest bidder for $200 anyway... :confused:

Tober
25th September 2008, 12:31 AM
I've had similar qualms about some Masters of the Universe auctions recently - not knockoffs, but people have been selling 2000-2001 reissues without the outer boxes (the bit that makes it clear that they're not the originals) and thus they appear to be MOC 80's toys. ("These guys have been in storage for years now", he says in every description. Yeah 'years', like 'a few'. Not the twenty-five that innocent buyers have been inferring.) They've gone as high as $325 (one could get them with their collector boxes from the US for maybe $15 plus postage.) They've even received constant positive feedback - I don't understand it at all. And they're still doing it again and again because they keep getting away with it. It's like having an auction for a commemorative 2002 Optimus Prime with a blurb written in such a way that people will infer that it's the 1984 version. It makes me mad. :mad:

Can you email the winners to let them know they are being conned?

Demonac
25th September 2008, 12:05 PM
I had another ebay member email me warning me that the item is a KO.
So its good to see there are people looking out for unwary shoppers.

TheDirtyDigger
25th September 2008, 12:30 PM
Nice work D-nac. Those bastards even sell KO militaria as genuine.

I have no problem with them selling KO's but they could at least advertise it as such. Trying to sell it as genuine just makes me not spend any money with them whether it is their genuine stuff or not.

kup
28th September 2008, 08:56 PM
How did you go?

Saintly
29th September 2008, 08:10 AM
be careful about creating another ebay ID... ebay tracks IP addresses and if they find another ID on that IP address, you could face criminal charges if found doing the wrong thing.

liegeprime
29th September 2008, 08:48 AM
be careful about creating another ebay ID... ebay tracks IP addresses and if they find another ID on that IP address, you could face criminal charges if found doing the wrong thing.

Doh Ive got 2 ebay Id's on same IP. But then I havent done any foul things with both on ebay hehehehe.

Pulse
29th September 2008, 10:24 AM
Oh the mischievous things you could do with 2 Ebay ID's... :D

Demonac
2nd October 2008, 11:12 PM
This seller just keeps trying... Item number: 110294938355
who wants to take a shot at this one?
Being counterfeit, I'm pretty sure you are not obligated to actually pay for these *not legal advice*.