PDA

View Full Version : TFA/Animated Comments thread

Pages : [1] 2

STL
24th September 2008, 11:26 PM
Thought I'd kick this off. After over a week since i got my Megatron, i cracked him open and was very surprised by the quality of the toy. love the poseability and the waist articulation. The waist articulation is pretty rare among leaders courtesy of the electronic gimmicks usually.

One thing I'm having trouble is that the wings don't seem to come down and fit snugly. Is it just a problem with mine or am I do doing something wrong?

Nor does my cannon/holder fit on the underbelly of the helicopter well. It's very annoying with that massive gap there.

QC issue or am I just a dope?

Stompy
28th September 2008, 03:28 AM
Meg's wings are loose on mine too. I think it was a design choice to accomodate for the synched rotating blades. Although I don't see how they couldn't make a locking mechanism of some sort. Sucks to hear your cannon/holder doesn't fit snugly. Mine does. So thats most likely a QC issue.

I've been extremely happy with the series so far. Quality figures all around. The robot modes are just fantastic, alt modes are top notch albeit stylized and conversions are just engineering marvels. Leader Class and Voyager figures are top notch. Deluxe figures weren't too bad at all. Paint apps are good for the most part but could be better.

With the recent acquisition of Blitzwing, I was VERY dissapointed with the jet mode. The tank treads ruin it. Tank mode is excellent and so does his robot mode. 2/3 ain't too bad. Although I must say that the paint apps on my one is pretty horrid. Scratched purple paint on the nosecone which is very noticeable and a few other purple areas. Only one I managed to find though, so beggars can't be choosers. But the scratched paint on the nosecone is pretty severe and VERY noticeable. The triple face mechanism is also quite flawed. I understand why they used the rubbery plastic for the "helmet" but the dial on the back of his head just doesn't work as the flexing helmet just makes it impossible to move as the faces just doesn't spin due to friction. You just have to move the actual face with your finger. I don't see why they just didn't make the helmet hard plastic along with a working face changing mechanism.

jaydisc
28th September 2008, 08:33 AM
With the recent acquisition of Blitzwing, I was VERY dissapointed with the jet mode. The tank treads ruin it. Tank mode is excellent and so does his robot mode. 2/3 ain't too bad. Although I must say that the paint apps on my one is pretty horrid. Scratched purple paint on the nosecone which is very noticeable and a few other purple areas. Only one I managed to find though, so beggars can't be choosers. But the scratched paint on the nosecone is pretty severe and VERY noticeable. The triple face mechanism is also quite flawed. I understand why they used the rubbery plastic for the "helmet" but the dial on the back of his head just doesn't work as the flexing helmet just makes it impossible to move as the faces just doesn't spin due to friction. You just have to move the actual face with your finger. I don't see why they just didn't make the helmet hard plastic along with a working face changing mechanism.

That sums up my opinion perfectly, although my purple nosecone paint is fine.

jaydisc
28th September 2008, 11:36 AM
Blitzing's Jet Mode makes Movie Starscream look aerodynamic.

Pulse
28th September 2008, 01:36 PM
Isn't it strange how they did a good job blending the tank treads into his animated jet mode (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/8/8c/TFA_Blitzwing_Jet_Altmode.jpg) but they couldn't make that blend even nearly as seamless in the actual toy (http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/45/r_blitzwing035.jpg)... :rolleyes:

Stompy
28th September 2008, 01:43 PM
Anyone elses Blitzwing have a little white dot that has been molded and painted on his right arm shoulder? Is that a reference to anything? It's not on the left side shoulder so I'm quite puzzled that they went all the way to include it onto the mold itself and actually paint it. Could it be a robot mole?

jaydisc
28th September 2008, 01:51 PM
Hey Stompy, I don't seem to have it. Can you take a pic?

Stompy
28th September 2008, 02:06 PM
Here it is in tank mode:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Animated-Blitzwingmole.jpg

It's a perfectly round and smooth bump and its definately paint and not a stress mark. Odd.

jaydisc
28th September 2008, 02:17 PM
Definitely not on mine. Looks like a pimple. :D

Stompy
28th September 2008, 02:25 PM
Hmm upon closer inspection I reckon it's a manufacturing glitch. I think its a blister that happened sometime after molding. It looks a lot more like white stress marks than paint.

SilverDragon
28th September 2008, 03:04 PM
I've only acquired three Animated toys-Starscream, Ratchet, and Blitzwing-and I really like them. I especially like how poseble they are-it's refreshing after the movie toys (well, the ones I got, anyway) were mostly brick-ish due to weird proportions.

I'm actually fine with Blitzwing's visible tank treads. The only problem I have with the jet mode is that the treads and robot head don't lock in really well. It's more annoying on the tank mode, since the treads aren't attached to anything.

jaydisc
28th September 2008, 03:27 PM
The only problem I have with the jet mode is that the treads and robot head don't lock in really well. It's more annoying on the tank mode, since the treads aren't attached to anything.

Hey SD, while I can't help you with the robot head, you might not realize that there are some pegs that help hold the treads in place in jet mode. If you flip out the main part of the feet from the treads (not the heels), you will see two peg holes:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/blitzwing1.jpg

Then there are the pegs on the back of the turret which go into them:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/blitzwing2.jpg

So here is everything lined up without pushing the pegs in the holes:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/blitzwing3.jpg

And then finally pushed in, it should be flush:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/blitzwing4.jpg

It keeps it fairly secure for me.

SilverDragon
28th September 2008, 04:54 PM
Uh...I did actually know that. I was complaining about it in tank mode, since the feet and pegs all fold away and thus leave the treads all wonky.

STL
28th September 2008, 10:40 PM
I personally was very disappointed by Blitzwing. With the euphoric excitement that everyone on these boards felt, I was obliged to bust mine open and try. I think the legs are very screwed up and awkward. My pegs do not hold. The laziness of the jet mode. The tank mode is not very imposing. It's cute, yes, but cuteness does not a Decepticon make. Furthermore, the tank mode is not very solid. Then the guns pop off reasonably easily if not rotated in the right direction. I think in comparison to the Deluxes, he's very joe average not to mention frustrating.

sifun
29th September 2008, 09:45 AM
i'm a bit disappointed in the scale issues for voyagers.
How is voyager prime bigger than grimlock? Big unhappy face.

i_amtrunks
29th September 2008, 11:56 AM
Scale is terrible in the animated line, but I still loves it (probably because Im not a stickler for scale).

I still cnanot fathom why there is not more love for Lugnut???

Robzy
29th September 2008, 01:06 PM
i'm a bit disappointed in the scale issues for voyagers.
How is voyager prime bigger than grimlock? Big unhappy face.+1
They should've made Grimlock a Leader Class figure!

Scale is terrible in the animated line It's terrible in every line :p

SilverDragon
29th September 2008, 03:46 PM
I've noticed something with Blitzwing. His Decepticon insignia is actually the movie-style insignia with rhombus eyes, rather than the Animated-style one with triangle eyes. Is this just mine or is it everyone else's?

Pulse
29th September 2008, 04:13 PM
Scale is terrible in the animated line

It's terrible in every line :p

Classics Powerglide is bigger than Skyfire?! *headbutts brick wall over & over* :D

jaydisc
30th September 2008, 12:56 PM
Previously shrouded in secrecy due to copyright implications, I bring you Blitwing's super-secret fourth mode....

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/DSC04197.jpg

:D

Tetsuwan Convoy
30th September 2008, 01:08 PM
Scale is terrible in the animated line, but I still loves it (probably because Im not a stickler for scale).

I still cnanot fathom why there is not more love for Lugnut???
LUGNUT IS AWESOME!!! I love the Nuts. His little smashy hammer thing Its great! If only he could move his head a little.

I have grown to like Blitzwings jet mode. I think the tank treads make it look like a heavy armoured jet (if there were such a thing) so it kinda works for me. my only complaint is the floppy-ness of it all. The nose cone falling down is inexcusable I think. Somehow I have managed to get his legs fairly secure, but the wings have a tendency to pop up and get floppy at the slightest touch. Not so impressed with the tank mode but its OK.

I am most impressed with the Leader Size. Magnus is pure love. Although mine has loose arms. But overall I think the series is good, just with low QC....

Previously shrouded in secrecy due to copyright implications, I bring you Blitwing's super-secret fourth mode....

Is that his secret "Coochy-coo Tank" mode?:D

STL
30th September 2008, 01:31 PM

I want a Wall-E repaint!

iceburn
30th September 2008, 02:10 PM
I want a Wall-E repaint!

totally awesome!!

kup
30th September 2008, 02:14 PM
I don't like the overall look of the Animated Blitzwing tank but I do like how they have giving it the illusion of moving tracks with the big wheels at the front. That is simple but very inventive.

STL
1st October 2008, 10:47 AM
Anyone had problems with Animated Grimlock? Mine is a loose as hell around the knees which really affects poseability. It just adds to me not liking Animated at all b/c it seems every figure I buy is either floppy as hell (Blitzwing) or has some losse joint somewhere (Grimlock)

Pulse
1st October 2008, 11:03 AM
My Grimmy is fine but I find it kinda strange that only his right hand has the little lever-thing that can pop out the extra flames on his sword... :rolleyes:

i_amtrunks
1st October 2008, 12:23 PM
"Me Grimlock no Lefty, Me Grimlock King!" :D

My Grimlock struggles to activate the flames on his sword, but is otherwise fine (saying while touching wood).

Paulbot
3rd October 2008, 11:03 AM
The new deluxes from Wave 4 aren't very impressive.

Swoop looks small on the shelf and he's pretty small out of the package. He's too thin. The transformation is basic and pretty uninspired. His wings need a bit of force to lock into his back on robot mode but I think that's a QC issue. The silent character of the show is a shame too because I look at the toy and I don't hear the character like I do on most other Animated toys.

Sentinel Prime is another toy that seems too small and the transformation a tad basic. I think the way the arms swing up to put all the wheels together is nice. The legs are too simple to transform. It's another animated toy that turns a classic looking angular vehicle mode into a curvy animated robot mode which is nice.

Elite Bumblebee (or Goldbug) isn't much of an improvement on the original... although the stingers fully 'retracting' is great. The toy's so dark in robot mode that it doesn't feel like Bumblebee, I think leaving the yellow/gold head (as per the prototype) would have been a better option.

Pulse
3rd October 2008, 02:17 PM
I'm actually liking Sentinel alot :) (it must be his face-sculpt (http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/45/r_sentinelprime055.jpg) - IMO, One of the best in years! :D)

SilverDragon
3rd October 2008, 07:04 PM
The new deluxes from Wave 4 aren't very impressive.

Swoop looks small on the shelf and he's pretty small out of the package. He's too thin. The transformation is basic and pretty uninspired. His wings need a bit of force to lock into his back on robot mode but I think that's a QC issue. The silent character of the show is a shame too because I look at the toy and I don't hear the character like I do on most other Animated toys.

The voice for me isn't much of a problem, as I make ones up most of them time. Heck, whenever I give Blackarachnia a voice, it's always the BW version, instead of the Animated one, even when I remember the episodes!

If I try giving voices to Snarl and Swoop, they'll probably end up as a comedic duo.

Kyle
4th October 2008, 08:53 AM
My issue with Sentinel is his size too. If only HasTak could have made him, Lugnut and Grimlock bigger... :(

Sky Shadow
4th October 2008, 01:37 PM
My top ten favourite Transformers Animated toys.

1. Deluxe Cybertron Mode Optimus Prime.

Best Optimus Prime toy ever. To paraphrase G1 Megatron: I would have waited an eternity for this Prime. A solid toy, original transformation and great accessories. My only question – what's the purpose of the spring in the spinal-columny bit just above his waist?

2. Voyager Bulkhead.

Looks fantastic, great wrecking-ball gimmick, autotransformation, everything locks in place. A perfect toy.

3. Deluxe Ratchet.

I don't care that his weapons don't fit in ambulance mode or that he doesn't stand easily or that Lockdown's EMP generator is 'activated' on Ratchet's left arm but doesn't stay there. He has fantastic weapons combinations and looks perfectly grizzled. I love this toy.

4. Deluxe Lockdown.

It's like a giant climbing out of a Volkswagen. Demonstrates to the extreme how Hasbro can get 'size' out of a deluxe toy. And he's a Frankenstein's-monster-pirate.

5. Leader Ultra Magnus.

Amazing robot mode – I can't believe his head can still turn despite the 'talking' gimmick. An incredible arsenal of weapons. The vehicle mode is somewhat warped because everything doesn't quite fit in where it should. But still, it's Robert Stack back from the grave – I can deal with it right now, tomorrow and always.

6. Deluxe Soundwave.

The only 'con' for this toy is that Laserbeak doesn't stay on his arm well in robot mode, but heck, who needs a bird when you can thrash an electric guitar? An amazing homage considering such a change in altmodes.

7. Voyager Starscream.

Not perfect – bits come off and don't exactly lock in place. Nevertheless, a clever autotransformation and cool pop-out blasters; the toy looks amazing and somehow even seems to capture the god complex of this unforgettable character.

8. Deluxe Sentinel Prime.

A unique transformation for a character who's the same – an Autobot who's just a jerk. My only qualm with an otherwise brilliant toy is the accessories – they don't look right sitting there in vehicle mode. But then again, the character doesn't exactly 'get' blending in on Earth.

9. Deluxe Jazz.

Yeah, he dresses like Ali G, but this is the first Jazz I haven't hated in twenty-four years, both as a character and a toy. Pretty much perfect and great nuchucks.

10. Deluxe The Battle Begins Cybertron Mode Megatron.

So what if his vehicle mode is backwards, looks nothing like his show Cybertron mode and he has fuchsia syphilis? He has a power punch and looks like he eats humans for breakfast. The most 'Skeletor' Transformer since Bludgeon.

And... my least favourite:

∞. Deluxe Prowl.

I hate everything about this toy. I hate its traffic light. I hate its shurikens which don't have any neat way of being held in robot mode. I hate its leg placement in vehicle mode. I hate his klaxons on his arms. I know people like this thing, but this is just not my kind of toy. I sold this and I'm now waiting on the samurai sidecar version.

So... which of other people's favourites am I missing? Or are there some that people agree with? Anyone else's top ten?

Gutsman Heavy
4th October 2008, 02:20 PM
cool list, now if I could get Jazz and Sentinel here...

sif you bad mouth prowl! meh its ok, to each their own etc!

My Magnus has no issues in alt mode. But his light up eyes don't work!

jaydisc
4th October 2008, 09:14 PM
I'm totally with your top five Sky Shadow. I just had a play with Wave 3 and 4 deluxes today at Griffin's and am VERY impressed by Sentinel Prime. Yeah, he's tiny, but his transformation is original and solid. I love him! While I do prefer Voyager Bulkhead, both Leader Bulkhead and Leader Megatron are awesome toys too.

jaydisc
7th October 2008, 07:48 AM
I completely forgot about Activator Bumblebee, who is quite probably the greatest smaller-than-deluxe toy I've ever experienced.

Sky Shadow
7th October 2008, 05:51 PM
I'm totally with your top five Sky Shadow. I just had a play with Wave 3 and 4 deluxes today at Griffin's and am VERY impressed by Sentinel Prime. Yeah, he's tiny, but his transformation is original and solid. I love him! While I do prefer Voyager Bulkhead, both Leader Bulkhead and Leader Megatron are awesome toys too.

I just got Leader Bulkhead and you're right, Jay. He doesn't edge out his Voyager form from my top ten, but he'd definitely be in my top four - just after Ratchet and before Lockdown. And I love the fact that he can do his 'chair' mode and that he comes with The Headmaster, who I can also use on Magnus (although it's more fun sticking it on Sentinel or Starscream). Everything locks in place too - the only minor issue is that I can't 'action pose' Leader Bulkhead's head (which is because of the electronic gimmick, so that's hardly a quibble.) Overall, an outstanding toy. Overall I'd give it a rating of:

"Pwnage! Total pwnage!"

So... would I be as pleased if I get Leader Megatron? What's he got going for him?

jaydisc
7th October 2008, 07:40 PM
Glad to hear you like Leader Bulkhead. He grows on me daily too (he's the only toy I brought to QLD with me on my holiday)

So... would I be as pleased if I get Leader Megatron? What's he got going for him?

I think Leader Megatron is the weakest of the three Leaders, but still worthy of association with them. I think he's leagues ahead of his other two incarnations (Deluxe and Voyager Cybertron Modes). Both of his modes are awesome, and he has that same overall solid feeling that I think the other two Leaders has too, but his transformation is quite simple, and his knees are a bit weird... very similar in articulation to Ratchet's. Right before I came on holiday, I bought him and Bulkhead, and he didn't come with me, so I've only had 15 minutes with him, but I enjoyed that 15 minutes.

Kurdt's given us a great, thorough writeup here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1220).

STL
7th October 2008, 11:01 PM
I got myself Animated Snarl Slag over the weekend. Not impressed one bit. I felt a sharp pang of enthusiasm as I removed him from the bubble but that quickly dissapated as I transformed him to bot mode. Very flimsy and I can barely see his head. He's fat and stubby and the arm and leg articulation are pretty poor in comparison with Prowl or Cybertron Prime. Combine that with the lower torso's inability to stay clipped, he's a very poor toy. I was devastated and my enthusiasm for the line dims with each moment.

I've still Swoop, Jazz and Sentinel Prime to open and I can only pray it gets better b/c other than the few shining lights of this line, its been riddled with nothing but flimsy QC-ridden toys.

jaydisc
7th October 2008, 11:04 PM
I found both Deluxe Dinobots a bit disappointing. Sentinel Prime! Sentinel Prime! Sentinel Prime!

i_amtrunks
8th October 2008, 10:29 AM
Animated Leader Megatron is worth a purchase, I rank him equal with leader Magnus as a good solid toy, he isnt the best figure of the line (Ratchet, Prowl and Lugnut are the best figures of the line) but he is certainly top ten material.

He is also streets ahead of the other 2 crappy toys he has had released thus far.

STL
13th October 2008, 12:40 AM
Had a play of Jaydisc's today

I rate Lugnut heaps. I played with Jaydisc's today and it was a treat.Love the automorph as well as the clever use of the mini-con port. Sure, scale is bad but if you didn't watch the cartoon, he'd be very cool. Thinking of him made me rethink the issue of scale entirely. I remembered back to the Cybertron series where b/c I never watched any or much of the show, scale of the toys mattered nothing to me at all. It makes me think that scale is a fiction imposed criteria. As if I had never watched the show, Lugnut's size would not have mattered at all.

Jazz is also another win but very hard to get right in alt mode. Only Golden Phoenix was able to get it right. I'll have to break mine open.

Sentinel Prime though took the cake as easily the best figure of the lot. Great transformation, love the window folds especially. My only annoyance is that the head is exposed underneath.

Swoop has a very unconvincing alt mode. All the Dinobots have disappointed thus far though Grimlock was a purely QC issue for me which has since been remedied. The robot mode for Swoop though is excellent for poseability. That's the toys saving grace as I am a massive fan of good articulation.

I have to say, today went a long way to restoring my interest in Animated. I'd just about given up on the line after the disasters of Blitzwing, Lockdown, Voyager Prime, BB, Slag and so on.

i_amtrunks
13th October 2008, 10:36 AM
So glad to hear of the love for Lugnut, It seemed for a while there that he was going to be Animated's Backstop/Saidos, I love the bugger while everyone else either hates him or couldn't care less about him.

Still cannot find any Wave 3 or 4 animated figures. :(

Pulse
13th October 2008, 12:50 PM
Still cannot find any Wave 3 or 4 animated figures. :(

Pop into K-mart Stanhope Gardens one time... ;)

Robzy
13th October 2008, 12:51 PM
Not everyone hated/ignored him! I've mentioned before that I really like Lugnut, it's just that he's so darn small. Or maybe my issue is that Blitzwing is too BIG!! ;)

Stompy
13th October 2008, 04:11 PM
Lugnut did not look very appealing in pictures. When I first saw it, I thought it looked like an eggplant with wings or something else altogether unmentionable. ;) But upon getting my mitts on the actual figure itself. It was very solid with a groovy elegant transformation. The cockpit is a little fragile, but thankfully stays clipped together on my figure. The spear and gimmick is nice although I am not too keen ont he giant bombs/hands.

The dinobot trio aren't too bad, they all have flaws though. Grimlock's head is exposed on the underside of his altmode. Granted it is a little hidden, it's still dissapointing for a Voyager Class figure. Nice tribute to the original Grimlock though. Slag/Snarl is pretty solid except for two flaws... The exposed topside of the robot modes head on its back and the legs/waist clip always comes loose making for wonky legs. The chest is also a little large and unruly but otherwise a solid figure. Swoop is skinny I was surprised they managed to make it convert. I must admit that the robot and alt mode looks identical.

Sentinel Prime is pure awesome. I love his conversion, especially how his four wheels join together to make the shoulders and form a rounded torso. Very clever. His legs is bordering on being too small for his torso though, but it's just passable. I'm still not keen on his medieval style weapons though. UGH. Mine have QC issues on the feet in robot mode. One is coloured in black, the other isn't. Is it meant to be coloured in black or left blue?

Roll Out Command Optimus Prime is not bad. The spinny-winny conversion is annoying and the gimmicks make very little to no articulation on the arms. The legs can get tricky to convert for alt mode, as aligning the ratchets on the proper angle so the front wheels can hook on the waist can be very tricky. The lights and sound gimmick is a little limited and hearing the same 3 phrases over and over can get grating. The little lights on the roof of the cab are actual buttons to trigger the lights and sound too, which was not in the manual at all.

dirge
25th October 2008, 01:33 PM
Just picked up Underpriced Prime from Big W. The shelf ticket actually read $70 (well 69 something) but he was still scanning as a Cyberstomper (or whatever it was) so I figured I'd nab him before Big W realise.

For $40 this is a decent figure, but not a great one. Considering that TRU have a buttload of the same thing for $99, I'm not complaining. Stompy's comments are generally on the money. The instructions are pretty useless - as is so often the case.

I do like how the weapon transforms, and you can place it in his hand and press a button on the _hand_ to set this gimmick off. This is an overpriced basic in terms of transformation and complexity - and poseability. There are some decent tricks in his leg transformation, at least.

There are a lot of sound gimmicks, some of which are quite cleverly activated (the right arm punch impresses me). I don't like electronics generally, but this toy is actually focussing on the gimmicks fairly well, and not trying to do too much at the same time (like Ultimate Bumblebee's awkward transformation).

For $40 he's worthwhile, purely on the display value in robot mode and sound set. $99 is definitely stretching the friendship.

blackie
25th October 2008, 06:25 PM
Just picked up Underpriced Prime from Big W. The shelf ticket actually read $70 (well 69 something) but he was still scanning as a Cyberstomper (or whatever it was) so I figured I'd nab him before Big W realise.

For $40 this is a decent figure, but not a great one. Considering that TRU have a buttload of the same thing for $99, I'm not complaining. Stompy's comments are generally on the money. The instructions are pretty useless - as is so often the case.

I do like how the weapon transforms, and you can place it in his hand and press a button on the _hand_ to set this gimmick off. This is an overpriced basic in terms of transformation and complexity - and poseability. There are some decent tricks in his leg transformation, at least.

There are a lot of sound gimmicks, some of which are quite cleverly activated (the right arm punch impresses me). I don't like electronics generally, but this toy is actually focussing on the gimmicks fairly well, and not trying to do too much at the same time (like Ultimate Bumblebee's awkward transformation).

For $40 he's worthwhile, purely on the display value in robot mode and sound set. $99 is definitely stretching the friendship.

+1

Kyle
26th October 2008, 10:19 AM
Sentinel Prime though took the cake as easily the best figure of the lot. Great transformation, love the window folds especially. My only annoyance is that the head is exposed underneath.

I wish he has longer legs...

SilverDragon
31st October 2008, 07:01 PM
I got Blackarachnia yesterday.

Her beast mode is quite good, in that it manages to look like a spider within the technorganic/animated aesthetic, and with the ability to transform into a humanoid robot, to boot. I'd prefer the front legs to be more articulated, and the robot hands be hidden somehow-as it is they're sitting on her third pair of legs being obvious. Still, the good far outweighs the bad-it's a good spider mode, the grapnel gimmick works extremely well (and is pretty unique), and the black-purple-gold-red colouration isn't bad in any way.

The transformation is brilliant-you wouldn't believe that the spider could transform into a humanoid robot, but it does.

Robot mode is utterly fantastic. It's quite accurate to the show model, ecept for an extra set of legs on her back, which in any case had to go somewhere. Blackarachnia's quite obviously female, too-I especially like how the spider pedipalps (the little purple fangs near her mouth) define her waist. The gimmick works well here, too-you can even stick the grapnel under her arm and ape Spider Man's web-slinging!

It's very much a homage to all incarnations of Blackarachnia-the head design is from her original/TM2 body, the black and gold is from her original appearence, and the general body is straight out of her BM look. I love this.

The only thing I dislike a bit is the articulation. It's quite good, actually, but after Ratchet and his ability to breakdance, I expected more, but she's a little limited by her arm and leg joints.

Definitely worthwhile.

jacksplatt11
31st October 2008, 09:46 PM
So just got Animated Grimlock, really really like it..

It seems pretty cartoon accurate in both modes, but in saying that I haven't watched much TFA so I wouldn't know for sure :p but it appears very close from what I've seen..

Dino mode is great, the tail is a little bit short and stocky compared to the rest of the body, but when it's made up of the robot mode legs, not much else can be done I guess. Apart from that I love the rest, the massive underbite makes him look friendly and aggressive at the same time, if you can have that..

Transformation is very simple for a voyager, but there isn't anywhere I think that it could be improved, so I'm not really too fussed about that..

Robot mode is great, very powerful looking, and very solid. I love the flame sword gimmick when you turn the wrist, simple but very snazzy, all in all I can't think of anything I would want improved in robot mode...

One small thing, which I guess is a QC issue, some of the joints, particularly dino mode knees/robot mode elbows, are a bit more loose than I would like, but just tightening up some screws fixed that, so overall its no biggie..

So overall, really really like it, but then again, who doesn't like any version of Grimlock :D

Paulbot
8th November 2008, 10:26 PM
Activator Prime is a bit of a pain to transform into vehicle mode, but in robot mode he's a great and very poseable Prime action figure, just in mini-form. Compared to his giant auto-transforming brother Command and Roll Out Prime, the toy wins hands down.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/3014364846_fc0dcbce6d.jpg?v=0

Paulbot
13th November 2008, 07:53 PM
Stealth Lockdown has some issues. It took a bit of effort for his legs to plug into his arms when transforming into robot mode. It took a lot of effort for the weapon to plug in under the windshield and I still gave up before I could do it. The peg just seems to big for the hole. Sadly because this toy's packed in robot mode you can notice an obvious flaw until you've opened it.

Kyle
15th November 2008, 03:22 PM
Oh man I can't wait to get my hands on this guy... :)

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/viewthread.php?tid=9004

jacksplatt11
15th November 2008, 03:45 PM
Got Oil Slick yesterday, but I had already had a play of STL's the week before, and it has easily become my favourite of my small Animated collection, I love all motorbike TFs but this is easily the best, I think anyway...

In bike mode, Oil Slick is a chopper, and an awesome looking one. A ram's head on the front just makes it look so bad-ass. It is well proportioned, perfectly coloured and looks great. I can't pick out one fault, it even balances with no help (*cough* TFA PROWL *cough*). All clips etc click in and there is no loose pieces. His accessories in this mode are held on each side of his rear wheels, they look perfectly in place, and are not left without a place to be kept where they are likely to get lost.

Transformation is simple, but easy, and pretty straight forward. Front becomes the arms, back the legs, middle the body, simple but effective and I don't think anyone could have trouble with it.

Robot mode is equally great, great articulation that is not hampered in any way, and he balances perfectly. I'll compare him to Prowl again, as he is my only other deluxe. Whereas I find very hard to balance Prowl due to his feet, Oil Slick can stay standing in pretty much any pose imaginable, and with his articulation there are many you can come up with. A great feature I find is that he has actually fingers, not just a molded hand, which comes in hand when you place his accessories in his hands, he actually looks like he is holding them. The accessories are 2 barrels. One breaks in half, and the 2 halves are connected by a chain, and this is his "chain weapon" and it is great. The other barrel has a lid at the top, which after reading Eric's comments from the meets, was meant to have some "goo" in it which was meant to be a chemical, but this never eventuated. It still looks great though and we can pretend.

Overall, Oil Slick to me is perfect, I cannot find one fault with him in either mode. QC and paint on mine is also perfect, so overall very very happy.

Kyle
15th November 2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/attachments/month_0811/20081115_ea79c41ec41a626938f1OFUBNXSNSDJC.jpg
http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/attachments/month_0811/20081115_0fd1d75874cfe4605aabtG2xrzpI1iYu.jpg
http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/attachments/month_0811/20081115_bce9ab9a6d652e995fb08AYclbIkR76l.jpg
http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/attachments/month_0811/20081115_e3a5392bcdb3da7cf71b4c14wa6ZDhj4.jpg
http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/attachments/month_0811/20081115_27ab4137d65ed59e0438bkULc7vIvM8Y.jpg

Kyle
15th November 2008, 05:05 PM
http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/attachments/month_0811/20081115_ec6ebc6bf75754cc2e32sTOCskbtzGK7.jpg

Paulbot
15th November 2008, 07:43 PM
As Iceburn said in the Action Pose thread the mini-set (legends and activators) looks the best in scale, but it's a little damning of Bulkhead that it's a Voyager toy. and isn't much bigger than the Activators.

Gutsman Heavy
15th November 2008, 11:10 PM
Got Oil Slick yesterday, but I had already had a play of STL's the week before, and it has easily become my favourite of my small Animated collection, I love all motorbike TFs but this is easily the best, I think anyway...

In bike mode, Oil Slick is a chopper, and an awesome looking one. A ram's head on the front just makes it look so bad-ass. It is well proportioned, perfectly coloured and looks great. I can't pick out one fault, it even balances with no help (*cough* TFA PROWL *cough*). All clips etc click in and there is no loose pieces. His accessories in this mode are held on each side of his rear wheels, they look perfectly in place, and are not left without a place to be kept where they are likely to get lost.

Transformation is simple, but easy, and pretty straight forward. Front becomes the arms, back the legs, middle the body, simple but effective and I don't think anyone could have trouble with it.

Robot mode is equally great, great articulation that is not hampered in any way, and he balances perfectly. I'll compare him to Prowl again, as he is my only other deluxe. Whereas I find very hard to balance Prowl due to his feet, Oil Slick can stay standing in pretty much any pose imaginable, and with his articulation there are many you can come up with. A great feature I find is that he has actually fingers, not just a molded hand, which comes in hand when you place his accessories in his hands, he actually looks like he is holding them. The accessories are 2 barrels. One breaks in half, and the 2 halves are connected by a chain, and this is his "chain weapon" and it is great. The other barrel has a lid at the top, which after reading Eric's comments from the meets, was meant to have some "goo" in it which was meant to be a chemical, but this never eventuated. It still looks great though and we can pretend.

Overall, Oil Slick to me is perfect, I cannot find one fault with him in either mode. QC and paint on mine is also perfect, so overall very very happy.

I was thinking of picking him up but I really don't care for the colour, I'm holding out in hope of a cool repaint.

jacksplatt11
15th November 2008, 11:24 PM
I was thinking of picking him up but I really don't care for the colour, I'm holding out in hope of a cool repaint.

Yeah? I actually really like his colours. Bike mode is a bit iffy I guess cause you don't see many green-ish choppers, but in robot mode I think it really suits him. Definitely get him if a repaint comes and takes your fancy, you wont regret it.

Kyle
16th November 2008, 12:16 AM
As Iceburn said in the Action Pose thread the mini-set (legends and activators) looks the best in scale, but it's a little damning of Bulkhead that it's a Voyager toy. and isn't much bigger than the Activators.

I hope they make an Activator Blitzwing... He and "Voyager" Lugnut would make a good team...

jacksplatt11
16th November 2008, 12:22 AM
I hope they make an Activator Blitzwing... He and "Voyager" Lugnut would make a good team...

I would be very interested to see how they would make a Blitzwing activator, and if he had all 3 modes... Would take some good engineering, or have a simple change from alt-mode to alt-mode with one (or both) alt-mode(s) not being terribly convincing...

Kyle
16th November 2008, 12:25 AM
If they do make one, my guess is they would keep the jet mode and scrap the tank mode.

jacksplatt11
16th November 2008, 12:28 AM
If they do make one, my guess is they would keep the jet mode and scrap the tank mode.

Yeah, I'd say that is a pretty safe assumption

Pulse
16th November 2008, 12:31 AM
It'd probably be very similar to the Happymeal toy (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/animated-8/images-of-frances-mcdonalds-happy-meal-blitzwing-figure-166154/)

Kyle
16th November 2008, 02:01 AM
It'd probably be very similar to the Happymeal toy (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/animated-8/images-of-frances-mcdonalds-happy-meal-blitzwing-figure-166154/)

This one's tank mode is actually quite nice. :eek:

TheDirtyDigger
17th November 2008, 03:43 PM
Comment: Deluxe Sentinel Prime's alt mode looks like a two year old's toy.

That is all.

loophole
20th November 2008, 12:34 PM
I finally grabbed my layby from Kmart today which included Animated Grimlock and as i was tacking him out the package his leg pin BROKE :eek: so not im not sure wether to fix him up but that requires pulling his upper leg apart which is glued together and very difficult to seperate or i could exchange him but his paintjob is fawless and if i exchange it i'll probally get one that isnt aaaaaargh!! the decisions we have to make :confused:

jaydisc
20th November 2008, 01:01 PM
Buy the replacement first. Confirm it's better and just refund the lesser.

Tetsuwan Convoy
20th November 2008, 06:58 PM
I picked up rescue ratchet today. Partly because I wanted the movie stye colourings that was on the picture on the back of the box and mostly because of the Legends Prowl and Starscream that came with it.

Well, imagine my disappointment when I got Ratchet out and the actual toy has his normal paintwork, just with bloody horrible yellow plastic....

What I wanted
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/ratchet.jpg

And what I actually got with Normal ratchet for comparison
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k313/Wootnchoo/IMGP0001.jpg

Its like getting a completely different toy! Very not happy Jan!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Pulse
20th November 2008, 09:07 PM
Hasbro = Kings of the false advertising... :D

loophole
20th November 2008, 09:15 PM
Buy the replacement first. Confirm it's better and just refund the lesser.

good idea Jay and that way i can just swap the legs over and keep the nicely painted one :D

GoktimusPrime
25th November 2008, 09:33 PM
...um... it would still look bad IMO unless you painted out the yellows. That's what hurts that toy the most IMO... it just looks like Animated Bumblebee cosplaying as G1 Prowl. :/

GoktimusPrime
29th November 2008, 09:25 PM
I picked up Animated Blitzwing today from Kmart. Opened the toy and started transforming it as per the instructions (which sorely needs text)... the pegs that connect the jet canopy to the tank got stuck and yanking them out caused them to become permanently bent and deformed (poor quality plastic). Also, one of the pegs that clips onto the wings wasn't properly moulded, causing the wing to fall out far too easily. You can see in the picture that there is a properly moulded peg (left) and the mis-moulded peg (right).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/animated_blitzwing_qcmondai.jpg

Many foul words and curses against Hasbro came forth from my mouth. I refunded the toy at my local Kmart and tried to see if they had another Blitzwing, but alas there were none. Gonna try and find another one tomorrow hopefully. *sigh* (-_-)

roller
29th November 2008, 10:04 PM
please Milton Bradley

cancel this line and restore Universe 1

iceburn
30th November 2008, 01:25 AM
hmm too much brute-force! :P

GoktimusPrime
30th November 2008, 10:16 PM
Okay, I got my second Animated Blitzwing again. No problem with the wing pegs, but I came across the same problem with the canopy tabs. I transformed it to tank mode, then when I tried to transform it to robot mode I noticed that it was thoroughly stuck and really, really hard to take out. This time instead of yanking them out I was reeeeaaaally careful in trying to take them out, but I still managed to make a very small stress-mark in the plastic. :( No warping or major stress marks though - so atm I'm satisfied to keep the toy... but I'm so afraid of breaking the canopy tabs that I now just don't try to lock the tank turret into place anymore. Needless to say that it makes the tank mode look bad because the turret just sits out of place and all floppy and pointing downward. Gah. :(

I am thoroughly disappointed with this toy. Whoever said that it was comparable with G1 Blitzwing needs to have his janglies crushed.

SilverDragon
1st December 2008, 01:48 PM
That's a shame, Gok. My Blitzwing has no such problems, so it's probably the fault of bad QC again.

GoktimusPrime
1st December 2008, 03:36 PM
...so I just so happened to find two Blitzwings with the same problem. Eep! :eek:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jam_pain.jpg

jaydisc
1st December 2008, 03:54 PM
PEBBAC

GoktimusPrime
1st December 2008, 07:11 PM
...so what am I doing wrong? I've followed the instructions as best I can, and the second time around I was as gentle as I could be... and I still nearly broke the tab. I don't get it. The instructions just show a large arrow indicating to swing the turret straight off, which is what I did the first time which shattered the tabs. Basically the first toy broke because I was just following the instructions as illustrated. The second time the toy nearly broke when I was following the instructions as illustrated with _extreme_ care. Is there a trick to this that I've missed from the instruction booklet? If so... help please. I would like to be able to transform this toy properly to tank mode, but I'm afraid that I'll break the toy if I ever transform it out of tank mode.

jaydisc
1st December 2008, 07:21 PM
Maybe Peaugh's Video Review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ49RvA-o1g) can help.

GoktimusPrime
1st December 2008, 07:26 PM
*watches video*
What the?! He just unplugs it with ease! There's no way I could do that with mine! Eeerrrkkk... looks like I just got two really badly made ones with oversized tabs (or undersized slots under the turret). (-_-) I still have the receipt. I might consider doing an exchange and hopefully third time will be the charm.

dirge
1st December 2008, 07:39 PM
I know what you mean, Gok. I encountered a similar plastic quality on my Universe Octane. Luckily for me, excessive force isn't required, so I can safely be gentle and actually manage to transform him.

i_amtrunks
2nd December 2008, 09:32 AM
*watches video*
What the?! He just unplugs it with ease! There's no way I could do that with mine! Eeerrrkkk... looks like I just got two really badly made ones with oversized tabs (or undersized slots under the turret). (-_-) I still have the receipt. I might consider doing an exchange and hopefully third time will be the charm.

Gok just doesnt know his own strength! :p

Seems you got two really bad versions of Blitzwing, I've had no issues with mine, and not really read anything about anyone having similar problems to you with the oversized tabs, I've only read that some peoples figures tabs do not hold together well...

Hope third times the charm.

GoktimusPrime
2nd December 2008, 01:19 PM
Gok just doesnt know his own strength! :p
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/johnboyjoe/180px-The-tick.gif "I am mighty!"

jacksplatt11
2nd December 2008, 01:52 PM
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j22/johnboyjoe/180px-The-tick.gif "I am mighty!"

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

i_amtrunks
2nd December 2008, 03:08 PM
SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f285/i_amtrunks/sentinel.jpg

SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

jaydisc
2nd December 2008, 05:31 PM
Actually, the mod here (http://forums.tformers.com/talk/index.php?showtopic=98620) recommends shaving one of the tabs and says his is too tight.

Another thing that will help you enjoy Blitzwing is to shave a bit off of his backpack tab. It's that tab in between his shoulders that snaps into the backpack, and on mine it fit too tightly in the slot. Rather than feel like you're going to break him every time you transform him from bot mode, take a razor blade (or sharp instrument of your choice) and lightly shave a bit from the sides of the tab. Be careful, and just barely do it as it doesn't take much.

STL
2nd December 2008, 10:58 PM
*watches video*

I went through three myself so you're not alone. There's a lot of problems with him, clips that don't clip, loose arms or floppy legs. Among the worst toys this year imo.

GoktimusPrime
4th December 2008, 10:18 PM
Okay, tonight I brought back my second Animated Blitzwing for an exchange. I then opened my third Animated Blitzwing and one of the wings falls off. Upon inspection I find that the wing peg is deformed like on my first Blitzwing!! So I took it back straight away and got another exchange. So now I'm on my fourth Animated Blitzwing... the wing pegs are fine, the store manager let me open the toy at the service desk to make sure everything looked okay. But I won't know what the quality of the canopy tabs are like until I try transforming it to tank mode - which I haven't done yet... tbh I'm afraid to try... I was super-duper careful with the second one and the tab was still strained... *sigh*

The TRU store manager thought it might be a bad batch, but I told her that my first Blitzwing was from Kmart... gah. :/

Tetsuwan Convoy
5th December 2008, 01:58 AM
I had the same problems with the canopy clips as well there gok, Mine has minor stress marks, but they seem to work alright now and I treat him very likely.

I just assumed that all the Blitzwings would be of the same bad quality.

GoktimusPrime
8th December 2008, 09:10 PM
Okay, on Saturday kup showed me a different way of detaching the turret from the canopy by squeezing the sides of the canopy together and thus pushing the tabs inward and relieving outward pressure. It does make detaching the turret easier and the first couple of times I did it miraculously produced no stress marks on the tabs! I thought I'd finally found a way of transforming this toy without breaking that part.

But alas, yesterday morning when I was playing around with it, again using kup's prescribed pressure-relief method, it still produced some small stress marks on the tabs. Not as bad as on my other Blitzwings but it's still there. :/ :( So yeah... *deep.sigh* this means that I'm going to avoid fully transforming it to tank mode now.

<swear words>

Four Blitzwings from two different stores... this is enough proof to me that the QC on this toy is just screwed. :(

STL
8th December 2008, 11:32 PM
Four Blitzwings from two different stores... this is enough proof to me that the QC on this toy is just screwed. :(

Agreed absolutely. I was about to give up on the line at about this point. I'd looked forward to the toy so much but then with the crappy QC, i was about to throw in the towel. But thankfully I got my hands on Sentinel and Lugnut and a few others that helped me deal with it.

I think that's the problem though when they get ambitious with a toy it becomes more prone to quality control issues. A triple changer in the Voyager size has never been done as ambitious as this and I guess this is the reason for the QC problems. Much like Classic 2.0 Ironhide's alt mode suffers way too much because the mold is too ambitious. I think though we have to take it w/ a grain of salt because for everything they try and get wrong, you know they'll get better at later on. Kind of like Armada to Cybertron saw a massive improvement in the engineering of toys. So hopefully this screwed up triple changer means we'll get better ones along the line.

I also think that if we ever get a key character as a triple changer, we'll also get a better toy b/c it means Hasbro will have more money to invest in a key character rather than some periphery one which I wouldn't say Blitzwing is but he's certainly not among the big 7.

STL
9th December 2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks to Stompy for tipping me and GPS boy about Jetstorm/Jetfire. Thanks heaps, mate!

Played w/ Jetfire and Jetstorm today and I'm still mulling over it. Don't have them b/c I broke played with Jaydisc's. Another ambitious toy. My initial impressions are Energon/Powerlinx but the link mechanism operating vertically rather than horizontally.

Jet mode:
They're identical but the legs kind of just sit there. You can get them very snug BUT the two hip pads that give it the sleek jet mode fall off way too easily. According to Jaydisc, Peaugh has said this is a commonplace problem so not easy to avoid. Thinking about it I suspect it might be possible to get it right once you acquaint yourself with the mold much like Classics 2.0 Prowl. I've yet to decide if I can be bothered opening in it. I like the cockpit, it can be opened and the lightpiping in the head comes out nicely in the cockpit. The wings aren't too flash. They're pretty short. Not perfect but okay.

Robot Mode
Very nice. I like the articulation and the sculpts. Very nice. No hip articulation but it didn't bother me.

Combined Robot Mode
If you agree with Golden Phoenix (or Anorexia personified if u prefer) that Marvel Crossovers Venom is ugly from behind, this Safeguard is an absolute mess. Really destroys the figure for me. It adds balance problems to the toy which can be navigated by bringing them closer to spider-like arms. But the spider-like arms at the back don't make sense given this is a jetmode/elemental type bot. I particularly like the concealing of the heads in going from individual robot mode to combined robot mode. Very nice. The head has no articulation which was disappointing as it takes displayability out a lot. There's also a very lovely extra height gimmick in one leg of each robot to give the combiner an extra cm or so.

Combined Jet Mode
Why did they even bother? Nuff said.

Overall
I liked it. I'm uhmming and ahhing over it I guess b/c the primary gimmick of this set (the combining) doesn't execute as well as I would've liked. A lot of originality here in the design though and I guess that makes it a win in my book. It's much like Energon I suspect. The first few powerlinx figures were cool b/c the concept was new but if Hasbro persist with this level of combining again, it'd become tiresome and downright uninteresting.

jaydisc
10th December 2008, 12:22 AM
My thoughts:

Packaging
I, and a few others apparently (;), ;)), are big fans of some of some recent packaging, specifically the fact that the items can be displayed sideways and still be display worthy by showing off artwork. This goes for Animated and Universe. Unfortunately, the packaging here, similar to The Battle Begins 2-pack, disappoints in this area. Like Battle Begins, the drawing are on the top of the box, meaning that if you want to maintain the "sideways motif", you need to display this one face down, possibly on a couple columns of Voyagers or under some Deluxes/Activators.

Comic Book
It's quite short but gives a quick story about how J+J=S came into existence. WTF is with Transformer brothers/twins? "Apparently the result of a split protoform"? Puh-lease.

*** <SPOILERS> ***
I think the timing of the release of the pics of Wheeljack and Perceptor is intentionally synced with the release of this toy and comic. There is also mention of Ultra Magnus referring to the "autobot spy, Waspinator"... further evidence of the transition from Wasp to Waspinator.
*** </SPOILERS> ***

Individual Alt Modes
The two individual alt modes for lack of a better phrase, look great from the waist down, and by that I mean from the middle section towards the nosecone. In a nice touch, the cockpits actually open and close and thus, are a separate translucent piece of plastic so they're not plagued by many modern paint matching issues. The tan color on Jetfire is a large notch above the Hasbro Gray(tm) we've become so used to seeing. The two biggest flaws here are the lack of proper wings and the large gap in the back of the fuselage. With better wings, and possibly some tail fins on the back, these could have been greatly improved.

Much to my great pleasure, this Animated Jetfire is the first toy incarnation ever that has properly had the inverted nosecone like Skyfire of the G1 cartoon. Many close to me will know this is something I harp on and some others might have seen my mention of it as well. To me, it's the one thing holding Classics Jetfire from being perfect. On Classics Jetfire, the nosecone is angled downward. I've always thought of modifying it, but fear it will look bad when in robot mode. On Animated Jetfire, the nosecone is perfectly angled upward, more akin to his Skyfire lineage.

Individual Robot Modes
They both shine in this mode... fantastic articulation and balance. The articulation is most likely so thorough because the legs of this form form the arms of the robot mode and different points of articulation are required which come in handy in this mode. There are some shoulder clips that hold the shoulders in and the second shoulder joint fits snuggly to also keep it in place in this mode. Lastly, the arm and leg rotator cuffs are all in the right place... ABOVE the elbow and knee (unlike Classics Jetfire)

I really like the head molds, but this is an area where non-Animated fans will surely be unhappy. The two faces are more kiddy than most, but Jetstorm reminds me of JRX and I like the goggles-on-the-forehead look of Jetfire.

Combined Jet Mode
Ridiculous. Not even worth commenting about. The instructions sum it up with the one illustrated step... stick the two jets together. Peaugh's video review shows the afterwards angling of the legs to create more of an X-Wing configuration which is a slight improvement, but the legs don't clip into place and due to the lack of landing gear, you couldn't put it down like that.

Combined Robot Mode aka Safeguard.
This is the most ambitious part of this set. The two robots can combine together to form Safeguard! I'm quite impressed with the engineering here and the final bot as it's extremely well articulated and not as badly balanced as I initially thought/feared. Each individual bots legs form one arm and one leg of Safeguard each, leaving the indiviaul arms to flutter about on Safeguard's back, almost making him look like the perfect mate for Blackarachnia. If positioned correctly, they can aide or hinder the balance. You can do some neat, Samurai-style-looking positions for the arms and the translucent flames on the arms can also be positioned nicely to be in view.

Summary
This figure/set is pretty ambitious and while I think it accomplishes two of the four modes well (individual and combined bots), it's a half fail on the third (individual alt modes) and a total fail on the fourth (combined alt modes). The colors and head molds will most likely suit only the most rampant Animated fans (of which I'm admittedly one) and the G1 tribute is quite scarce (although in my favorite possible way). In my case, the price was right (A$30 for two deluxes) and it's nice to have more Elite Guard.

Addendum 1 (light piping)
The individual light piping on each bot is fantastic. On Jetfire, the clear plastic forms flames out of the top-back of his head which also nicely illuminate if positioned properly.

On Safeguard, each eye is light-piped a different color also producing a nice effect.

GoktimusPrime
10th December 2008, 03:48 PM
From what I'm reading and from pics I've seen the combined jet mode sounds like two whales going for it. :/

The first few powerlinx figures were cool b/c the concept was new but if Hasbro persist with this level of combining again, it'd become tiresome and downright uninteresting.
Actually, the concept wasn't new - it existed in G1 (1989) and IMO executed a lot better for its time compared to Super Link/Energon Powerlinx.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/3/36/Landcross.jpg/250px-Landcross.jpghttp://navicon.jp/thumb/img/011/052/80-tab03963.jpg

WTF is with Transformer brothers/twins? "Apparently the result of a split protoform"? Puh-lease.
Beats, "because they both happen to transform into Lamborghinis" or "they're all repaints of the same mould" (which appears to be the premise behind Rumble and Frenzy being brothers and for fans who think of the first year Seekers as brothers (-_-)).

I wonder if Dinobot II counts as a "brother" of Rampage. Hrmmm...

I prefer the kinda of brotherhood that Carnivac and Catilla had - based more on close friendship; i.e.: more like sword brothers... both would take a bullet for each other... an emotional/psychological fraternity rather than a "biological" one.

Golden Phoenix
10th December 2008, 09:19 PM
I am pretty pleased with Jetfire and Jetstorm. They are pretty decent figures.
Not the best by far, but still very good.
One thing I think that lets them down is their short torso. It seems a little stunted, just enough to make it look a tiny bit odd.
I agree with jaydisc on most of what he said, with the exception of the individual vehicle modes.
I think they are alright. The gap between the 2 thrusters makes them look kind of alien, while still being practical. It also reminded me of Star Saber.
I think the arrow head jet mode is good over all.
I just wish that the fins/wings on the sides were supposed to tilt up and not have to miss-transform them to do so.

Spoilers (high light if you wish)
Oh, and they are supposed to be kiddy, or at least adolescent. They appear to be really young in the comics, so I think this is them a little bit later, like a year or so. So it would fit in well with Animated Season 3

SilverDragon
10th December 2008, 10:08 PM
I dunno, Gok. Mine happily clicks and un-clicks without breaking.

FFN
10th December 2008, 11:52 PM
Actually, the concept wasn't new - it existed in G1 (1989) and IMO executed a lot better for its time compared to Super Link/Energon Powerlinx.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/3/36/Landcross.jpg/250px-Landcross.jpghttp://navicon.jp/thumb/img/011/052/80-tab03963.jpg But those toys were terrible.

GoktimusPrime
11th December 2008, 06:58 PM
Would you say they were terrible by 1989 standards, compared to say Super Link/Energon Powerlinx by 2004 standards?

Quality-wise those toys weren't much worse than most other Transformers released in that year. They're not as bad as say, Monstructor (that's a seriously underwhelming toy). The gimmick works well - each Multi Forcer can link with another member. And they're better than Super Link in terms of:

1/ Their combined modes have different heads and a different combined persona. For example, when Wing forms the top half, the combined head (e.g.: Wingwaver's head) is different from Wing's head. When Energon Hot Shot Powerlinxes with Energon Inferno with Hot Shot as the upper half, Hot Shot's head is still the same and the persona of the combined character is pretty much Hot Shot's persona as opposed to new gestalt persona.

2/ Multi-Forcers can merge into a gestalt robot (Landcross). Super Link TFs cannot. There are gestalts in Super Link/Energon - Constructicon Maximus, Superion and Bruticus, but the members of those gestalt teams cannot Super Link/Powerlinx like the Multi-Forcers can (they're a different sub-group fom the Powerlinxers).

Now considering that Multi Force pre-dates Energon/Superlink by 15 years, I think they managed to accomplish more in those little figures. :) They were also sold either in sets of two (e.g. Wing and Waver) or as a gift set (Landcross). The two-packs were sold for 980JPY and the gift set for 2900JPY - which means that you basically paid about 283-290JPY per toy. That's less than three dollars by Japanese standards. The Powerlinxers ranged from Deluxe (e.g.: Hot Shot) to Mega (e.g.: Ironhide) which meant that we paid approx. $25-45 per toy.

Paulbot
11th December 2008, 07:47 PM
Please try to keep discussion of Victory and Eneron/SuperLink combiners out of the Animated toys discussion thread. Maybe you'd like me to move this to a Combiners discussion thread.

GoktimusPrime
11th December 2008, 10:43 PM
Maybe you'd like me to move this to a Combiners discussion thread.
Nah I'm good to end it here unless FFN wants to discuss it any further.

The Scream Man
12th December 2008, 12:25 PM
FINALLY found a Snarl to get. Hes better than i expected, but getting his waist to stay clipped together seems to be quite a trick. Also, is there a way to make the dino head sit flush on his chest, or is it not supposed too?

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2008, 12:55 PM
Doesn't appear to. :/ As much as I give this toy flak, I was surprised with the G1 Snarl tribute in this toy - i.e. how the tail splits into two to form "wings" for the robot mode. He's like some weird lovechild between G1 Slag and Snarl. :p

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/animatedsnarl_affliction.jpg

Kyle
12th December 2008, 02:06 PM
Good observation! I now like my Animated "Snarl" even more now. :D

Krayt
12th December 2008, 11:19 PM
just opened up the Twins box.... and i realised something....

Jetstorm should have been called Treadbolt!!!!

Classics Jetfire was repainted into Treadbolt, and this jetstorm is nearly the same as Jetfire, but is perfect for treadbolts colours....

If only the people looking after both lines talked to each other!!!

But I wouldn't want the Jetfire classics repaint to be jetstorm..... eewww....

The Scream Man
14th December 2008, 09:03 AM
After a trip to Parramatta in search of Transformers I hadnt seen on shelves, I grabbed Blitzwing and passed on Lugnut for now. Overall I like him; like many, I think his jet mode is pretty terrible, but his tank mode is cool, and the robot mode is a great addition to the 'Cons.

Now i just need ee a sentinal, Swoop and the Twin jets.....

jaydisc
14th December 2008, 10:22 AM
Also, is there a way to make the dino head sit flush on his chest, or is it not supposed too?

I couldn't figure it out at first, but with some familiarity, sure:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/DSC04578.jpg

The Scream Man
16th December 2008, 11:29 AM
Who says HWining doesnt pay off?

Last night got lucky and found Sentinal Prime and Swoop, and grabbed them alonmg with Megatron. All three are awesome, especially Megatron. I like Sentinal more thna i expected too actually.

Now i just need Soundwave, Safeguard and Oilslick to be up to date with the Aussie releases!

SilverDragon
23rd December 2008, 04:05 PM
Swoop is great. I shall tell you why.

PTERANODON MODE

Swoop's alternate mode is a Pteranodon, a flying reptile that lived 65 million years ago. As TF Pteranodons go, it isn't particularly realistic. The legs are far too long, and the wings far too narrow. Also, their mouths did not have teeth. However, this is Animated, so I'll let the last one slide.

He's blue, grey, red, and gold, which are colours he shares with the other Dinobots, so that they have a uniform look. I feel that the colours work for him. On the back of his wings he has circuit-board style patterning, which seems to be something a lot of Animated toys have (e.g. Ratchet and Snarl). It's actually kind of cool, and serves to reinforce the fact that Swoop is robotic.

Swoop is articulated at the neck, wings, legs, and feet. The neck can move up and down (not side to side), the wings can move down (but not straight up-Swoop won't be totally flapping his wings), and the legs and feet are ball-jointed. Also, his mouth can open and close, and his front and back claws can move independently of each other, allowing Swoop to perch on things to some extent.

Overall, it's a good Pteranodon, although there are some things, such as the wing articulation, that could be fixed.

TRANSFORMATION

Swoop transforms in a way that people with Beast Machines toys will find familiar-essentially, he stands up and switches heads.

The limbs stay where they are (the legs extend a bit while the arms unclip from the wings), while the wings fold down and the upper torso splits and moves upward to enclose the beak, which folds down to reveal Swoop's robot face. The torso then clips onto the backplate of the wings to stay in place. Finally, Swoop's neck extends.

ROBOT MODE

Swoop's robot mode retains all the colours of his beast mode. Despite the Animated stylings, he has many visual homages to his G1 incarnation-notably the crest and the beak on his chest.

He is very much an example of the Animated aesthetic, being thin and spindly in a way that most Transformers before now haven't been. It's very much a non-traditional design-although this does not mean that Swoop doesn't look good. In fact, the aesthetic comes together to produce a very distinctive design that oozes character, especially with the face and the cape that the wings make.

Swoop comes with a mace and chain weapon. Like the other Dinobots' weapons, it has a volcanic appearence, being riddled with orange seams. Apparently it can be made to have pop-out flames with a modification (the flames were disabled apparently due to safety concerns). I may just try this, but then again, maybe not. Either way, it's a nice weapon (it swings around quite well) and certainly a unique one (how many TFs have mace-and-chains, anyway? I know Deathsaurus does). There is one significant drawback-he can't store it somewhere in beast mode, which is annoying since it makes it easy to lose it if you don't keep track of where it is.

Thanks to the fact that he's nearly all ball-joints, Swoop is extremely poseable. This has its drawbacks, though-the ball joints make it annoyingly easy to pop bits off, especially his head, which you then have to put back on and then pull his neck out again since it's likely that it got pushed back in while the head was reattached.

I really like this robot mode. That is all I can really say.

VERDICT

Swoop is an example of the Animated aesthetic at its most obvious. This, of course, will probably turn off many people who don't like it. Those of you who do like it, get Swoop. I recommend him.

9/10

Yes, I'll admit I'm a shameless Animated fan who isn't really going to say anything bad about it-but that's because it's so good, like this toy.

Doubledealer
23rd December 2008, 06:20 PM
Swoop is great. I shall tell you why.

PTERANODON MODE

Swoop's alternate mode is a Pteranodon, a flying reptile that lived 65 million years ago. As TF Pteranodons go, it isn't particularly realistic. The legs are far too long, and the wings far too narrow. Also, their mouths did not have teeth. However, this is Animated, so I'll let the last one slide.

He's blue, grey, red, and gold, which are colours he shares with the other Dinobots, so that they have a uniform look. I feel that the colours work for him. On the back of his wings he has circuit-board style patterning, which seems to be something a lot of Animated toys have (e.g. Ratchet and Snarl). It's actually kind of cool, and serves to reinforce the fact that Swoop is robotic.

Swoop is articulated at the neck, wings, legs, and feet. The neck can move up and down (not side to side), the wings can move down (but not straight up-Swoop won't be totally flapping his wings), and the legs and feet are ball-jointed. Also, his mouth can open and close, and his front and back claws can move independently of each other, allowing Swoop to perch on things to some extent.

Overall, it's a good Pteranodon, although there are some things, such as the wing articulation, that could be fixed.

TRANSFORMATION

Swoop transforms in a way that people with Beast Machines toys will find familiar-essentially, he stands up and switches heads.

The limbs stay where they are (the legs extend a bit while the arms unclip from the wings), while the wings fold down and the upper torso splits and moves upward to enclose the beak, which folds down to reveal Swoop's robot face. The torso then clips onto the backplate of the wings to stay in place. Finally, Swoop's neck extends.

ROBOT MODE

Swoop's robot mode retains all the colours of his beast mode. Despite the Animated stylings, he has many visual homages to his G1 incarnation-notably the crest and the beak on his chest.

He is very much an example of the Animated aesthetic, being thin and spindly in a way that most Transformers before now haven't been. It's very much a non-traditional design-although this does not mean that Swoop doesn't look good. In fact, the aesthetic comes together to produce a very distinctive design that oozes character, especially with the face and the cape that the wings make.

Swoop comes with a mace and chain weapon. Like the other Dinobots' weapons, it has a volcanic appearence, being riddled with orange seams. Apparently it can be made to have pop-out flames with a modification (the flames were disabled apparently due to safety concerns). I may just try this, but then again, maybe not. Either way, it's a nice weapon (it swings around quite well) and certainly a unique one (how many TFs have mace-and-chains, anyway? I know Deathsaurus does). There is one significant drawback-he can't store it somewhere in beast mode, which is annoying since it makes it easy to lose it if you don't keep track of where it is.

Thanks to the fact that he's nearly all ball-joints, Swoop is extremely poseable. This has its drawbacks, though-the ball joints make it annoyingly easy to pop bits off, especially his head, which you then have to put back on and then pull his neck out again since it's likely that it got pushed back in while the head was reattached.

I really like this robot mode. That is all I can really say.

VERDICT

Swoop is an example of the Animated aesthetic at its most obvious. This, of course, will probably turn off many people who don't like it. Those of you who do like it, get Swoop. I recommend him.

9/10

Yes, I'll admit I'm a shameless Animated fan who isn't really going to say anything bad about it-but that's because it's so good, like this toy.
I like Swoop too but I found him to be the most underwhelming of the Dinobots. For me, Slag/Slurry/Slapper or whatever he's called is my favourite with his delicate transformation, chunky robot mode and fierce looking alt mode. Gotta love the pop-out flame shoulders too! Speaking of Dinobots, I recommend sitting Legends BB on Grimlock's back for a nice Wheelie tribute - he sits there beautifully!

SilverDragon
24th December 2008, 03:38 PM
I like Swoop too but I found him to be the most underwhelming of the Dinobots. For me, Slag/Slurry/Slapper or whatever he's called is my favourite with his delicate transformation, chunky robot mode and fierce looking alt mode. Gotta love the pop-out flame shoulders too! Speaking of Dinobots, I recommend sitting Legends BB on Grimlock's back for a nice Wheelie tribute - he sits there beautifully!

If Swoop is the most underwhelming of the Dinobots, the other Dinobots must be pure concentrated awesome.

How many waves is Snarl in? I think I should grab him soon if he's going to be booted off shelves/pegs soon.

GoktimusPrime
24th December 2008, 06:24 PM
I personally find Grimlock to be the most disappointing of the Animated Dinobot toys.

jacksplatt11
24th December 2008, 06:36 PM
I personally find Grimlock to be the most disappointing of the Animated Dinobot toys.

I think the exact opposite to be honest, but that may be my love for Grimlock showing through :D

STL
24th December 2008, 10:58 PM
How many waves is Snarl in? I think I should grab him soon if he's going to be booted off shelves/pegs soon.

He's in one wave only as far as I know. Wave 3 Animated. Wave 4 has Swoop so yes, I reckon u should grab snarl as quickly as u can. :)

I agree that he's disappointing though the sword is cool. I'm not sure if he's the most disappointing of the Dinobots as I haven't really given it thought. There's not very much to him that's much to write home about, is there?.

GoktimusPrime
25th December 2008, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I find Grimlock to be an incredibly underwhelming and ordinary toy for $45 whereas Snarl and Swoop offer more satisfaction for $25. I think Swoop is pretty cool - keep in mind that it's a more ambitious toy considering his more lithe and streamlined dino mode. Snarl's weapon is my least favourite amongst the Animated Dinobots - mostly because it's just all orange. If only they painted it like the prototype. :/ I don't like how all the Dinobots' weapons have no stowage in alt mode. As ridiculous as Sentinel Prime's lance and shield look in vehicle mode, at least there's an attempt to store it (not a good attempt, but an attempt nonetheless). With the Dinobots they're not even trying. By post-1995 standards one would expect TFs to have accessory stowage in alt mode.

Golden Phoenix
25th December 2008, 10:03 AM
I don't like how all the Dinobots' weapons have no stowage in alt mode.

Swoop can hold his mace/flail by the foot in beast mode. Does that count?
It was I think a bit of a fluke...

STL
26th December 2008, 01:18 AM
Yeah, I find Grimlock to be an incredibly underwhelming and ordinary toy for $45 whereas Snarl and Swoop offer more satisfaction for $25. I think Swoop is pretty cool - keep in mind that it's a more ambitious toy considering his more lithe and streamlined dino mode. Snarl's weapon is my least favourite amongst the Animated Dinobots - mostly because it's just all orange. If only they painted it like the prototype. :/ I don't like how all the Dinobots' weapons have no stowage in alt mode. As ridiculous as Sentinel Prime's lance and shield look in vehicle mode, at least there's an attempt to store it (not a good attempt, but an attempt nonetheless). With the Dinobots they're not even trying. By post-1995 standards one would expect TFs to have accessory stowage in alt mode.

I went back and found myself agreeing that Grimlock is the worst. He just doesn't stand up as a toy. There's glaring deficiencies in his arms and the transformation isn't very elegant. The weapon is a saving grace but like u say, the lack of "stowability" is very underwhelming though somewhat understandable. The larger issues really centre around its poor alt mode and transformation for me.

Swoop is okay. A figure w/ some nuances but rather simplistic in the overall scheme. His articulation is awesome but it frustrates me there is so little between the two modes. His weapon is very lovely though even w/out the gimmick.

Snarl Slag is okay, he's too stubby in my opinion but by the end I like him the most of the Dinobots. Once u figure the chest transformation out its decently interesting to transform and does some nice things. His articulation leaves a bit to be desired and the lack of the lock in on the chest are annoying but it holds up in all molds well and has a solid transformation. But agreed on his weapon. It's the weakest of the 3. The transparent orange is just too plane. It's really glaringly obvious in sunlight.

SilverDragon
26th December 2008, 05:50 PM
He's in one wave only as far as I know. Wave 3 Animated. Wave 4 has Swoop so yes, I reckon u should grab snarl as quickly as u can. :)

Okay, Snarl's risen above Grimlock on my need to get list, since Grimlock's going to be in quite a few waves (in the same wave as Shockwave, judging by a shot of Shockwave's box I saw).

GoktimusPrime
27th December 2008, 07:27 PM
The massive hole in Grimlock's dino mode chest exposing the robot head is just inexcusable IMO.

I picked up Animated Jetfire and Jetstorm today.

Positives:
+ Both robots look good. Nice sculpting and no complaints about paint apps. I also like how both robots are designed to look like twins yet offset each other. Jetfire has bright vibrant colours with a friendly "cheerful" face and Jetstorm has cold colours with a stern "cool" face.
+ Good reuse of G1/G2 names - Jetfire and Jetstorm go well with each toy's individual theme and again, offset each other quite nicely.
+ Well articulated - it's the basic 9 points, but it works well
+ Safeguard is an interesting combiner... it's a new twist on the G1 Multiforce and Energon/Superlink Powerlinx concept. It's interesting how unlike its predecessors, neither partner appears dominant in the combined mode - they both form equal halves instead of one partner forming the top half, who ends up being the dominant partner (as also portrayed in G1 and Energon canon). I find this concept to be refreshing and unique.

Negatives:
+ Individual jet modes are fail. They remind me of the Pretenders where I just look at them and thing, "that's meant to be a jet??" Bits of flames and ice are not wings. The legs that just hang out the back there are also just cringeworthy IMO (though strangely also a homage to G1 Jetfire's transformation, although G1 Jetfire has stuff that goes over the legs, these guys don't).
+ Combined jet mode is epic fail. Reminds me of whales/dolphins mating.
+ Safeguard doesn't feel very playable - articulation seems limited and the waist connection on mine isn't very strong (prone to coming apart). Not a big fan of the name eiter.
+ Autobot Elite Guards... where are their WEAPONS?

Paulbot
27th December 2008, 08:37 PM

As per the comic, they have fire/wind superpowers so they don't need weapons.

Golden Phoenix
27th December 2008, 11:51 PM
+ Individual jet modes are fail. They remind me of the Pretenders where I just look at them and think, "that's meant to be a jet??" Bits of flames and ice are not wings. The legs that just hang out the back there are also just cringeworthy IMO (though strangely also a homage to G1 Jetfire's transformation, although G1 Jetfire has stuff that goes over the legs, these guys don't).

The jet modes remind of of Star Saber with the "V" shape jet with a gap at the back.
A bit more streamline then Star Saber though
http://www.tfu.info/2004/Cybertron/StarSaber/vehiclemode.jpghttp://www.bigbadtoystore.com/images/products/out/large/HAS16205.jpg

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2008, 11:12 AM
As per the comic, they have fire/wind superpowers so they don't need weapons.
Yeah but I'm appraising it purely from a toy POV. Fiction aside those toys are unarmed. Makes them feel more like superhero toys than TF toys - everyone knows Superman doesn't need weapons... but it feels out fo place with Transformers who are usually armed.

The jet modes remind of of Star Saber with the "V" shape jet with a gap at the back.
A bit more streamline then Star Saber though
I've played with G1 Star Sabre and I have Robot Masters Star Sabre -- the original Star Sabre toy is not a very good toy in the first place so you're not really comparing these with a decent Transformer. :p Having said that...
1/ The V-Star isn't the main jet mode, it's like a booster pack thingie. The core Brainmaster robot is the primary jet.
2/ The rear of the V-Star doesn't look as undone as on Jetfire and Jetstorm. The legs don't look like legs in that mode. At least with the V-Star the feet flip up and it has proper wings.
3/ Star Sabre was made in 1989. These toys came out in 2008. One would expect some better quality 19 years later...

btw you can't pic link from TFU.info. Here's (http://www.cliffbee.com/reviews/images/starsaber.gif) a gooderer pic of Star Sabre. :)

Jetfire and Jetstorm's plastic quality are much better than Star Sabre's though... of course, I've seen knock offs that have better plastic than Star Sabre. (-_-)

jacksplatt11
28th December 2008, 11:50 AM
Can't Golden Phoenix simply say that it reminds him of Star Saber for some reason without you trying to prove him wrong? He didn't compare it to Star Saber, he said it reminds him of it in jet mode

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2008, 01:07 PM
I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm merely submitting my own opinion.

If Golden Phoenix happens to like/enjoy Animated Jetfire and Jetstorm's jet modes, then good for him. My comments merely reflect why I'm disappointed with these toys.

SilverDragon
28th December 2008, 02:28 PM

See kids, this is where imagination comes in handy. ;)

Golden Phoenix
28th December 2008, 02:45 PM
It came to mind when you mentioned the jet modes, and I wanted to see if others made the same connection. It was a neutral statement.

I kind of think they look like a X-Wing with Y-Wing boosters instead of the wing/engines, with maybe more covering then both of those. But I think as individual jets they are pretty good.

Combined is a meh, but they weren't going to be able to pull off the combined jet mode in a deluxe size figure anyway.
If only they could move Jetfire's arms some where else but still leave the shoulder intakes where they are in jet mode, then you could kind of get the comic's combined jet mode, which looks pretty good

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2008, 03:28 PM
See kids, this is where imagination comes in handy.
Here's a cheaper toy for the imaginative child...

http://www.greatlittlebox.com/files/Image/Packaging%20101/Empty_Box_Person_Looking_In.jpg

:)

Seriously... for $37 I would've liked some weaponry, even if it was sculpted on to save money on accessories.

I have played with the toys and yeah, I've had to use my imagination... just had to consciously make sure my mind didn't conjure up this kind of image...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7d/GobotTurboTV.jpg/240px-GobotTurboTV.jpg <--FAIL

...and I tried to conjure up images more like these:
Jetstorm's attack--> http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/9432/ice1mp.jpghttp://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/b/b0/215px-Iceman1280-thumb.jpg
Jetfire's attack--> http://www.buttonhole.com.au/images/X-Men3_pyro1.jpghttp://www.mtv.com/shared/media/news/images/f/Fantastic_Four/sq_human_torch_flying.jpg
...I even have Jetfire saying, "Flame On!" and covering his own body with fire. Cheese anyone? ;)

I personally also give Jetstorm a somewhat "cooler" disposition and voice, although I try to make him still sound like Jetfire since they're twins - I basically make them sound the same only that Jetfire is more "zesty" and excited while Jetstorm is more composed... not too composed, he's still basically the same over-confident borderline goofy archetype that I make Jetfire out to be. :p

griffin
28th December 2008, 03:44 PM
Reading the comic, I really hate the 'plot device' of Autobots not being able to fly returning. It made no sense in Gen-1 (even though they were flying in the first episode), and still makes no sense now... 'Decepticon programming???' what the heck???

I know it makes for a more dramatic climax/conclusion to one or two stories, but it just spoils every other story, especially when they have to travel great distances. If they could fly, it'd make sense when they end up in another city or country, but driving??? Yeah, that's a good trade-off so they can have *one* good story...

Also thought it was strange that Magnus was praising Sentinel. In the cartoon he appeared to be annoyed with his arrogance. Maybe this is something that will be used in the 3rd season, to make sure that Optimus still has to treat Sentinel as his superior.

And I wonder if this comic issue will be replayed in the cartoon, or if the cartoon will just suddenly have them appear, or introduce them in a different way. Or maybe not have them at all in the cartoon...
On the other hand, the comic series and any in-pack comics, are a good way of introducing new characters or giving background to new characters, to allow the cartoon to move more fluidly with story and action.

I was thinking that the comic in the 2-pack was a bit of a waste of an *entire* comic issue (being 'free'), but considering how many toy 2-packs would have been produced, it would probably have been IDW's biggest print run of any of their TFs comics, and Hasbro would probably have paid them enough to cover it's production (so less risk than a comic-shop issue).

Sky Shadow
28th December 2008, 04:12 PM
Reading the comic, I really hate the 'plot device' of Autobots not being able to fly returning. It made no sense in Gen-1 (even though they were flying in the first episode), and still makes no sense now... 'Decepticon programming???' what the heck???

It makes even less sense since we know Omega Supreme can fly. (As can Swoop, but his Autobot status is dubious.)

griffin
28th December 2008, 04:30 PM
Ah yes, Omega Supreme. Swoop probably doesn't count because it was built by a human, and maybe the Elite Guard don't know about him or his flying ability. Then again, the Elite Guard probably don't know about Omega being operational either. So maybe according to what they currently know, they don't have any flying Autobots. But it does bug me that they classify flight as a 'Decepticon Protocol', suggesting that Autobots just can't be programmed to fly, or ever have been.

GoktimusPrime
28th December 2008, 06:29 PM
Ultra Magnus does state that he doesn't want to go to the extreme of repeating the Omega Supreme project (or words to that effect). But I agree - the suggestion that flight is some kind of program sub-routine or something like that is pretty lame. :p

Golden Phoenix
28th December 2008, 11:59 PM
I preferred it when only the Transformers who turned into flying vehicles could fly.
I mean, what would happen if an Autobot was given a flying alt mode, would they be grounded?

Ah yes, Omega Supreme. Swoop probably doesn't count because it was built by a human, and maybe the Elite Guard don't know about him or his flying ability.
Swoop was also designed by Megatron. And Ultra Magnus and Sentinal Prime encountered the Dinobots in one episode, so they know about Swoop.
They would also remember Omega Supreme because Ratchet said he made a huge sacrifice during the Great War. That is something they would probably use in propaganda or in some way to boost moral

Also thought it was strange that Magnus was praising Sentinel. In the cartoon he appeared to be annoyed with his arrogance. Maybe this is something that will be used in the 3rd season, to make sure that Optimus still has to treat Sentinel as his superior.
Maybe he was in a good mood.
I did like that they have made Magnus a Title, like a higher rank above Prime.
I think that Ultra is also part of his Title as he appears to be the commander and chief. It would make sense if he is the Magnus of all Magnuses (Any one know the collective term for Magnus?)

GoktimusPrime
29th December 2008, 12:43 PM
I preferred it when only the Transformers who turned into flying vehicles could fly.
I mean, what would happen if an Autobot was given a flying alt mode, would they be grounded?
Yeah, but the comic seems to suggest that flying wasn't related to their alt mode but to some programming sub-routine protocol... thing, which just seems downright odd.

It also makes little sense to me, in the G1 and Animated cartoons, that the Autobots would battle the Decepticons for so long without building themselves an air-force to match the Decepticons in aerial combat! In the G1 comics the Autobots did have air forces, such as the Autobot Elite Flying Corps, whom Swoop was initially a member of. It makes me wonder how the Autobots were able to so soundly defeat the Decepticons in Animated without the use of aerial combat.

"Anyone who has to fight, even with the most modern weapons, against an enemy in complete command of the air, fights like a savage against modern...troops, under the same handicaps and with the same chances of success." - Erwin "Wüstenfuchs" Rommel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erwin_Rommel)

SilverDragon
29th December 2008, 01:52 PM
It also makes little sense to me, in the G1 and Animated cartoons, that the Autobots would battle the Decepticons for so long without building themselves an air-force to match the Decepticons in aerial combat! In the G1 comics the Autobots did have air forces, such as the Autobot Elite Flying Corps, whom Swoop was initially a member of. It makes me wonder how the Autobots were able to so soundly defeat the Decepticons in Animated without the use of aerial combat.

Megatron stated that the two things which led to the Decepticons' defeat in Animated was the AllSpark and the space bridge network.

The AllSpark, being a source of unlimited power, allowed the Autobots to out-gun the Decepticons (judging by how Starscream used it to obliterate Detroit, the Autobots probably did that as well), while the space bridge network allowed the Autobots to out-maneuver the Decepticons since they could reach nearly anywhere quickly, including behind Decepticon lines.

I'd say that the ability to fly is pretty much made redundant if your enemy can go anywhere at once and also has a weapon of mass destruction.

griffin
29th December 2008, 03:13 PM
I still think it is illogical to have flight based on programming instead of equipment. It suggests that you can install rockets or anti-grav device (or whatever they use) into an Autobot, but they just can't activate them without software that is tainted as being evil. You should be able to just plug 'em in and turn 'em on...

I agree that flight should be limited or guaranteed to those with flight modes, but then you have a problem with half an army advancing or retreating at a tenth the speed of the flyers. Since flight is an equipment based concept, involving flight training, I don't see why everyone who wants to fly, doesn't.
After all, you'll still have some 'land-lubbers', but their advanced technology mustn't be that advanced if rockets/etc aren't standard equipment in their construction, even if it was just as a more efficient means of travelling any lengthy distance.

To me, it's a poor plot device to benefit one story, that is bound to weaken the series as a whole in the end, through contradictions and future stories that would have benefited from it not being a plot device.

GoktimusPrime
29th December 2008, 08:03 PM
The AllSpark, being a source of unlimited power, allowed the Autobots to out-gun the Decepticons
Yes... Cosmic MacGuffins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_ex_machina) are awfully handy when logic isn't working in your favour. :D lawl :)

SilverDragon
29th December 2008, 08:20 PM
I still think it is illogical to have flight based on programming instead of equipment. It suggests that you can install rockets or anti-grav device (or whatever they use) into an Autobot, but they just can't activate them without software that is tainted as being evil. You should be able to just plug 'em in and turn 'em on...

I agree that flight should be limited or guaranteed to those with flight modes, but then you have a problem with half an army advancing or retreating at a tenth the speed of the flyers. Since flight is an equipment based concept, involving flight training, I don't see why everyone who wants to fly, doesn't.
After all, you'll still have some 'land-lubbers', but their advanced technology mustn't be that advanced if rockets/etc aren't standard equipment in their construction, even if it was just as a more efficient means of travelling any lengthy distance.

To me, it's a poor plot device to benefit one story, that is bound to weaken the series as a whole in the end, through contradictions and future stories that would have benefited from it not being a plot device.

There is however one very simple solution to getting around this admittedly retarded concept:

Declare it not canon.

Golden Phoenix
29th December 2008, 10:53 PM
it seems that even if they built flying capabilities into their bodies, there programming won't know what to do with it, like they need a driver for it or something
It kind of makes it seem that the Autobot programmers just sucked and couldn't develop one

GoktimusPrime
31st December 2008, 10:45 AM
There is however one very simple solution to getting around this admittedly retarded concept:

Declare it not canon.
That's easier said than done. Any story published under licence from Hasbro and/or Takara(TOMY) is technically official canon. The only way it can now become non-canonical is for a later form of official canon to retcon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retcon) it. Until then this all remains proper canon.

It kind of makes it seem that the Autobot programmers just sucked and couldn't develop one
lol! :D Despite his Mojo-Jojo like head and visual impairment, Perceptor just ain't that bright!

The Scream Man
31st December 2008, 12:46 PM
Not very perceptive, u might say.

Got Safeguard and Im whlemed. He's ok, not awesome, not horrid.

Also finally got Oilslick, who is pure win. Looks cool in both modes and nicely articulated. In my mind hes the main enemy for Prowl, and a kind of inja as well.

And Lugnut who's....u know....there. He needed to be bigger to impress me more, but his auto transform is pretty cool

just need Soundwave to be up to date now :)

griffin
31st December 2008, 07:17 PM
'Rise of Safeguard', 'Megatron Rising', 'Rise of the Constructicons'... is the creative barrel-bottom being scraped, or what...

Paulbot
31st December 2008, 10:28 PM
'Rise of Safeguard', 'Megatron Rising', 'Rise of the Constructicons'... is the creative barrel-bottom being scraped, or what...
It could be worse, the new movie could have been called "Rise of the Fallen" :D

Tetsuwan Convoy
4th January 2009, 12:41 AM
I got Safeguard and really like the robot modes. They just ooze character, but the vehicle modes are naff to the EXTREME.

It could be worse, the new movie could have been called "Rise of the Fallen"

Ha ha ha yeh, THAT would be really lame.

HEY, wait a minute...........

SilverDragon
4th January 2009, 07:04 PM

Well, it sounds better than 'Safeguard gets made' or 'Appearance of the Constructicons'. :p

Golden Phoenix
4th January 2009, 09:50 PM
Well, it sounds better than 'Safeguard gets made' or 'Appearance of the Constructicons'. :p

I reckon "Birth of the Constructicons" could have worked.

They could always do it in a similar style to the Japanese
AUTOBOT BROTHERS: SUPER COMBINATION SAFEGUARD!

loophole
4th January 2009, 10:56 PM
They could always do it in a similar style to the Japanese

i hate those titles they always give away the surprise for the episode and then you think whats the point of watching

Sky Shadow
5th January 2009, 08:06 AM
i hate those titles they always give away the surprise for the episode and then you think whats the point of watching

I often find the titles amusing though. And off the top of my head, sometimes they can use the convention to trick the viewer - "An Enemy? The Third Godmaster, Ranger" isn't too bad at being reverse-spoilerous.

GoktimusPrime
5th January 2009, 11:26 AM
Lol - I gotta translate that to Japanese - need to add a verb on the front though...

飛べ!サイバトロン双子兄弟:超(スーパー)合体作戦セイフガード!
Tobe! Cybertron futagokyoudai: Suupaa Gattaisakusen Safeguard! and when translating back to English we get: "Fly! Autobot Twin Brothers: Super Merge Operation Safeguard!" :D

Heh, true - but not much worse than say "Return of the Headmaster." ;) Kids just don't care about spoilers... in 1986 I asked a friend who'd seen Transformers The Movie before I did in cinemas to tell me the entire plot - it made me want to see the movie more!! :p

SilverDragon
5th January 2009, 07:48 PM
Heh, true - but not much worse than say "Return of the Headmaster." ;)

At least "Return of the Headmaster" leaves most of the episode secret-the Headmaster is returning, and that's all you get to know from the title alone.

"Ultra Magnus Dies!!" on the other hand...

GoktimusPrime
5th January 2009, 09:38 PM
<shudders> that was an awful episode... Ultra Magnus' death in the cartoon would have to be one of the _worst_ deaths in TF history ever. (-_-)

Golden Phoenix
5th January 2009, 10:53 PM
<shudders> that was an awful episode... Ultra Magnus' death in the cartoon would have to be one of the _worst_ deaths in TF history ever. (-_-)

He just couldn't deal with the writers killing him off

SilverDragon
8th January 2009, 12:33 PM
I got Snarl a few days ago.

I love him. He might not be the most poseable toy, but I just really like him. His transformation especially, since it's a neat twist on 'stand up and switch heads'.

The only problem I have with him is that his robot head is a bit visible in his dinosaur mode. This is, though, minor, since it's not glaringly obvious, especially compared to others (coughEnergonIronhidecoughTFAGrimlockcough)

Incidentally, is it just me, or are the Animated deluxes more enjoyable than the voyagers? I've liked the deluxes I've gotten more than the voyagers I have (of course, those voyagers happen to be Blitzwing and Starscream, so maybe I just haven't been getting the best guys).

Stompy
8th January 2009, 10:28 PM
Incidentally, is it just me, or are the Animated deluxes more enjoyable than the voyagers? I've liked the deluxes I've gotten more than the voyagers I have (of course, those voyagers happen to be Blitzwing and Starscream, so maybe I just haven't been getting the best guys).

The Deluxes have just been so exceptionally well done that they overshadow their Voyager counterparts. So far I feel that the Voyager figures are just for size scaling of particular key characters that would be way too small as a deluxe. Even the Voyager size for Bulkhead and Lugnut still is very small especially in light of large deluxe figures like Lockdown, Ratchet and Bumblebee's massive feet (which is the size of Legends Bb each).

So far Shockwave is my favorite Voyager. Very awful alt modes, not too bad Longarm robot spy mode but is totally redeemed by Shockwave robot mode. Plus the "automorph" transformation of the head from Longarm to Shockwave and back is creative. Also the insignia changing too. This sucker is as tall as a Leader and has quickly becaome my favorite Animated figure BEHIND Lockdown.

GoktimusPrime
9th January 2009, 08:36 AM
The only problem I have with him is that his robot head is a bit visible in his dinosaur mode. This is, though, minor, since it's not glaringly obvious, especially compared to others (coughEnergonIronhidecoughTFAGrimlockcough)
*high-5* http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/highfive.gif

The Deluxes have just been so exceptionally well done that they overshadow their Voyager counterparts. So far I feel that the Voyager figures are just for size scaling of particular key characters that would be way too small as a deluxe.
But Voyagers cost around $45-50 whereas Deluxes cost around $25-30. So considering that Voyagers cost nearly twice as much as Deluxes, one would naturally expect to get much better value for money other than just toys of the same or inferior engineering but at a bigger size. I feel that a lot of Deluxes these days offer better value for your dollar in terms of having better engineering for their size and at a substantially cheaper price point. Snarl may have the top of his robot head exposed in dino mode, but Grimlock has his entire robot head visible... considering that you pay an extra $20 (approx.) for Grimlock that's really, really poor form IMO.

Beast Machines Thrust is a better example of what they could've done - that toy is as tall as a Mega (e.g. Tankor) but was sold as a Deluxe. Basically it was a toy with Deluxe level engineering at the height of a Mega but sold at a Deluxe price point.

JuzMel
9th January 2009, 10:35 AM
So far for Animated, I have opened and played with

1) Deluxe Bumblebee - The only win I had for the Transforming Contest during the meet, I've gotta say the transformation is pretty easy (for me). :p I'm more biased cause Bumbee is my favourite character anyway. I like the figure in general just not the stingers on the hand as they are not built properly (as other members have noticed). And his side windows also pop out easily if you're not careful when transforming. He does look better in Activator class, also more size and colour accurate.

2) Jazz - Great articulation and pretty easy to transform too. Figure is also not to flimsy and can pose pretty well too.

3) Ultra Magnus - Took some time to transform from Robot to Vehicle mode. Don't like the part at the back of the arms the plates aren't easy to fold properly and also the cannons on the front bumper (one side of mine is so hard to pull out that my finger nails almost broke and had to use a small screw driver. :( He looks great in robot mode though.

4) Jet Fire and Jet Storm / Safeguard - Just opened and played with them last night. Both are pretty flimsy figures and mine even has loose joints when they are so new! In Jet mode, the chest plate of Jet Fire keeps falling down and the leg of my Jet Storm is loose. In safeguard mode, my figures don't even join properly, as in the clips are pretty loose and can just come out easily. and on the back; "hands of Jet fire and jet storm" what do you do with them anyway?! They seemed out of place in safeguard mode.

The Scream Man
11th January 2009, 11:18 PM
My Swoop took a tumble and his head snapped off at the neck :( Ill have to get another one, which is a pain.

SilverDragon
15th January 2009, 05:09 PM
My Swoop took a tumble and his head snapped off at the neck :( Ill have to get another one, which is a pain.

Did the neck itself snap or did the head just pop off, leaving the ball joint?

If it's the latter, you can just push it back on. I've accidentally decapitated my Swoop loads of times, and each time I'm just stuck the head back on the joint.

Stompy
17th January 2009, 08:49 PM
Just a quick rundown of what I think of my recent Animated acquisitions:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Wave5-Alts.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Wave5-GroupBotShot.jpg

Blazing Lockdown

My favorite mold gets another repaint. This time round a gold and black theme. The alt mode lacks a few paint details that the original had. Particularly The front bumper, the spikes on the roof and the red stripe on the engine. The gold fire detail is well applied although could have benefitted on having a bit more, perhaps on the side of the vehicle. What was previously hasbro grey in the original mold is now hasbro gold.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Lockdown-Pose.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Lockdown-BotGroupShot.jpg

The bot mode shows a tonne more gold that runs up his legs chest and over his face. The studs on his neck are painted gold, which makes the none painted studs on the roof/back a bit mroe dissapointing. Hands are still the same as before. The chainsaw weapon is smaller than I expected and uses a dull gold plastic. The effect overall is much better achieved with the bot mode in regards to colour with a dmonance of gold contrasting perfectly with the black. Striking as usual.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/LockdownvsBlurrSawVehicleBattle.jpg

Blurr

Blurr's alt mode is a sleek curvy Cybertronian, old skool, speed racer hybrid in his classic light blue (allaspark?) scheme. 4 shades of blue (including the transparent ones) are offset by black wheels and windshield (which is matte black and not transparent). The wheels on the back actually do not roll and is static due to the engineering, although they did have a wheel in running along the middle of the tire. Overall a n excellent looking alt mode that is ruined only by the open rear of the vehicle. There is no panels to hide the back and the head can be seen. A small loose blue panel on the bonnet acts as a button that extends a spring loaded folding chainsaw-like weapon. You cannot do it if the vehicle is flat ont he floor as the saw fold outward

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Blurr-Pose2.jpg

Blurr's botmode is another engineering marvel in the Animated line. The way it converts from alt to bot is interesting. You would assume the rear or front to fold out as the legs but instead the front wheels flip up towards the back to form arms (head is on the rear) and the back wheels flip down to form the legs via double hinges. The bonnet comes off to become a shield and weapon that can be attached on his back via two pegs. The robot is very lanky although not as tall as Lockdown but close. Also a very lithe figure with the skinniest legs I've seen on a deluxe figure. I'm amazed those knee joints are really tight and secure.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Blurr-Saw.jpg

Articulation is not too bad, although the knees are quite high on his legs and despite the tiny feet and heels he can stand pretty well and get some pretty good poses. Overall a very impressive figure and a great homage.

Swindle

Hummer like alt mode with his huge disruptor located on the roof.army green, purple and black colour scheme to suit his weapon dealing persona. The truck itself looks ok, the front has the most detail with the insignia ont he bonnett and a clear plastic for the grille and windshield. The back of the vehicle is barren green with nary a paint app which is severly dissapointing. Wheels roll and a hex like hole for the weapon peg restricts it to a ratchet like swivel. A nice touch with the weapon is that there are purple stripes along its barrel that change to bright orange when the missile is pushed in. The alt mode is roughly the same size as Soundwave.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Swindle-Pose.jpg

His bot mode is shot and squat just like Soundwave. Conversion is similar to Movie Dropkick/Salvage. The front of the truck turns into his bulky armswith the grill forming his hands and thumbs fold out. His head is quite huge and also features his cat like eyes when light is shone thru the light piping. One complaint with the figure is that the ball joint connecting the arm to the shoulder. The ball joint is normal plastic but the socket is clear plastic and the left arm on mine has some of the plastic crumble away and tends to pop off unless I push it deep enough to secure the arm to make the pose above possible. Also the folding front torso doesn't clip on securely and tends to flop back out as the tabs that its meant to keep it secure doesn't really do its job at all. Two dissapointing QC issues.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Swindle-SuperMode.jpg

He also has a Super mode where you fold up his "wings and point the lasers attached over his shoulders. Folding his front torso down allows you to flip out a minigun. His weapon can only be attached on his right arm as the left arm has no socket for it. Articulation is limited on the legs due to the waist restricting the thighs from folding up too far. Arms are well articulated though.

Skywarp

A lot of you would have had your hands on the original Starscream mold. Nothing's changed here bar the paintjob which honours the original G1 character well. The only comment I can do is that the QC on the figure I got was terrible. The right leg peg that allows it to swivel horizontally is loose and popped off its socket and also a very loose horizontal pin-hige for the leg. The automorph for the arm feels to be a little broken as it didn't fold out as well as my original Starscream mold. Overall a great reapint but the QC on this one is terrible.

Shockwave

Shockwave is a phenomenal figure ruined by very crappy alt modes. The tank and crane vehicles are a joke and are loose and clunky. Conversion from one to the other requires you to just fold the treads up or down. Although the weapon itself has a very nifty double automorph from one weapon to the other. Otherwise utter garbage alts.

Robot mode is altogehter a different story. Longarm is bulky and stout. Big arms and chunky legs exagerrated by having no neck. Conversion from Longarm to Shockwave robot mode is where the real fun is. Longarms height is standard Voyager height in bot mode but Shockwave is even taller. Conversion involves elongating the arms and legs and a really funky automorph for the head that flips up Longarms face to reveal a black moutharea and also reveal a neck further elongating Shockwaves height which he now stands at the height of the Leader sized figures. The insignia ont he chest rotates to choose factions.

Overall I love Shockwave and is probably my current 2009 fave figure just for the bot mode alone. The difference between the two bot modes may seem subtle but they once you see the proper bot modes. The difference is a lot more pronounced.

END

Sky Shadow
17th January 2009, 08:55 PM
Great reviews, Stompy - I eagerly look forward to those toys' Australian release.

jacksplatt11
17th January 2009, 08:56 PM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Wave5-GroupBotShot.jpg

Swindle looks like a little kid in this pic, considering how short he is compared to the other tall deluxes/voyagers haha

Great reviews, Stompy

blackie
17th January 2009, 08:59 PM
stompster, your making me want to by animated... you win :P

iceburn
17th January 2009, 10:28 PM
patienceee.....

GoktimusPrime
18th January 2009, 01:57 AM
Swindle looks like a little kid in this pic, considering how short he is compared to the other tall deluxes/voyagers haha
Swindle doesn't appear to be transformed properly in that shot (i.e.: legs don't look fully extended). Scroll down to see Stompy's other pics of Swindle to see his proper robot mode. :)

jacksplatt11
18th January 2009, 02:01 AM
Swindle doesn't appear to be transformed properly in that shot (i.e.: legs don't look fully extended). Scroll down to see Stompy's other pics of Swindle to see his proper robot mode. :)

On a closer look, correct you are Mr Prime ;)... Although my comment still stands, he looks like a little kid in that pic

Stompy
18th January 2009, 03:51 AM
Actually Swindle's legs are not mistransformed in that pic. Its obscured by his arms and slight lean forward but its fully extended. He has very short legs unfortunately. Not helped that the other figures are just freakishly tall.

GoktimusPrime
18th January 2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah, I couldn't see his thighs in that shot. I wonder why HasTak made them transparent purple though. Does your Swindle's belly have a habit of flopping about loosely or does it lock in securely?

Although my comment still stands, he looks like a little kid in that pic
His massive Bishojo (re: Sailormoon) eyes don't help either. But then again, the G1 toy was like that too.

"All the better to see you with my dear!"

Stompy
18th January 2009, 02:36 PM
Does your Swindle's belly have a habit of flopping about loosely or does it lock in securely?

Loose. The tabs that is meant to hold it up doesn't appear to work at all. Which is a real shame as its a pretty solid figure.

STL
20th January 2009, 12:19 AM
Great review, Stompster! U just made me go after Blurr and Swindle! And the three Lockdowns look quite cool next to each.

Bartrim
20th January 2009, 07:51 AM
4) Jet Fire and Jet Storm / Safeguard - Just opened and played with them last night. Both are pretty flimsy figures and mine even has loose joints when they are so new! In Jet mode, the chest plate of Jet Fire keeps falling down and the leg of my Jet Storm is loose. In safeguard mode, my figures don't even join properly, as in the clips are pretty loose and can just come out easily. and on the back; "hands of Jet fire and jet storm" what do you do with them anyway?! They seemed out of place in safeguard mode.

Does anyone else have problems with this set? I was nearly going to purchase it the other day then I decided to come here and see what people thought. If this is a recurring fault then I think I will skip it but if Mel was unlucky enough to get a bad one I may risk it.

Stompy
20th January 2009, 12:00 PM
My set was fine. Altho you do have to be a little careful with their waist pads as that tends to pop off if they are folded the wrong way.

GoktimusPrime
20th January 2009, 12:38 PM
Same here. Other than the waist pads mine's fine.

Paulbot
20th January 2009, 09:28 PM
Does anyone else have problems with this set? I was nearly going to purchase it the other day then I decided to come here and see what people thought. If this is a recurring fault then I think I will skip it but if Mel was unlucky enough to get a bad one I may risk it.

Mine doesn't clip together well at the groin and one of the safeguard legs comes out quite easily. I had the same issues when I was transforming someone elses at the Melb Xmas Meet.

Golden Phoenix
20th January 2009, 11:52 PM
Mine seems to be fine. The only problem I have is that Jetstorm has 2 of the same hip pads when he is supposed to have them mirrored

STL
20th January 2009, 11:54 PM
Mine doesn't clip together well at the groin and one of the safeguard legs comes out quite easily. I had the same issues when I was transforming someone elses at the Melb Xmas Meet.

Yup, that one was mine IIRC. I'd recommend against it, Bartrim, if ur a primary toy collector. I think if u got it for around $30 it'd be a fair buy but the toys are more of a novelty than a quality toy. The whole vertical "superlink" gimmick.

But if u want cast, these two are two great additions to the Elite Guard. Of course, that's fiction path collecting so I'm not sure which u prefer. I'm a mixture of both so that makes it easier for me. :)

GoktimusPrime
21st January 2009, 12:10 PM
I had that issue with mine at first but I found that it was due to the way that I was clipping them together that made a difference. I can't remember if you're meant to clip head first, body second or vice versa, but it made a difference on my toy. Once I worked it out the two halves joined together quite tightly.

Stompy
2nd February 2009, 09:00 PM
More stomping reviews of Animated figs. This time it's Atomic Lugnut & Wreck-Gar.

Atomic Lugnut

Apparently exposed to way too much nuclear energy and has become the biggest threat to the world. Oozing nuclear energy in every crevice. He can blow up anytime and decimate a big chunk of the planet.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Lugnuts-AltMode.jpg

A more realistic recolouring of the original eggplant like colours. Surprisingly it works really well. A blue-green and black scheme offset by some yellow-green portions and some red trimmings. Some people may actually prefer this repaint over the original unless you are going for show accuracy. Most noteworthy are the larger decepticon symbols on the wings and the shark teeth paintjob that runs along the side of the cockpit. Also some red trimmings along the wing-tips and on the thrusters (?) on the rear. Definately a marked increase in paint detail fromt he original mould.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Lugnuts-Botmode.jpg

Bot mode is as sparse as the original's in terms of paintjob but the larger decepticon logo on his chest and a larger presence of the yellow-green paint for the cockpit and face, plus the more prominent red eye really makes his bot mode stand out more than the original. The spear/mace has a radiation symbol and some great red trimming. Overall a well done colour scheme taht works extremely well.

No QC issues this time round except for one. The cockpit holds together well when placed properly so that was a huge sigh of relief from me. Although the mace/spear doesn't close up as well as the original one I had (see the alt mode and notice its open). Most likely just my individual figure. Otherwise no big QC issues at all.

Wreck-Gar

My favorite novelty character in the tv show comes and does what he does best... GARBAGE! Ok he is actually far from garbage. Although there are a few things that bug me just a tiny bit from an otherwise great figure.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Wreck-Gar-altmodewithBulkhead.jpg

The alt mode was a lot smaller than I expected. Pictured with voyager Bulkhead above. The angle it was taken doesn't really show how much bigger Bulkheads alt mode is. Bulkhead is about 1.5 cm longer and about 2cm higher. Not counting the dumper lift. As with most Animated figures, there isn't really much sculpt detail. It still has the stylized fisher-price look as with most from the line. the paint job is limited to the windscreens, grille, headlights, brake lights and the stripes on the truck body. There is some nifty play value. The dumper lift swivels to a 90 degree angle backwards and there is a small spring loaded switch on each that when pushed back makes the lift swing forward parallel horizontally. Also notice the split on the top of the truck and the small protruding lump. Pushing it towards to the back allows for the stored "blade" weapons to come out for access. A great alt mode with some play value although a somewhat basic looking truck.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Wreck-Gar-botmode.jpg

Wreck-Gar's botmode definately shows a lot of homages to the original G1 bot. Mainly the face with his trademark facial hair and a lot more of his trademark orange. He has huge chunky arms and a rather large head. The top wheel on his arms have sockets for his blades (not pictured, I forgot about it) to peg onto. The head only swivels left to right and not up or down. He is about the same size as Voyager Optimus Prime in both height and girth. His chest is not fake kibble and is actually the front of the truck. Articulation great, especially for the arms except when bending the elbows his large wheels bump his shoulder pads and prevent his arms from further flding up. The knees, like with most figures in the line, are quite high up the leg and can prevent from particular poses. Something that brings his bot mode down is his rather HUGE backpack...

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Wreck-Gar-backpack.jpg

Unfortunately, they are huge AND affects poseability as balancing favours the backpack. A big dissapointment. I know he has one in the show and the engineers did their best but it is still quite large.

Another dissapointment is finding out that Wreck-Gar is a shellformer. :( I have just put links to the pictures for those who do not want the conversion spoiled:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Wreck-Gar-shellformer1.jpg

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Wreck-Gar-shellformer2.jpg

It brought me a little bit of Universe Silverbolt flashbacks, as you can see. Certainly a little dissapointed in that regard. But definately still a very simple but interesting conversion for the main robot parts.

Overall I still love the overall build and feel of the figure, but my excitement was let down by its size, shellformer issue, backpack and poseability balance issues.

Sky Shadow
2nd February 2009, 09:10 PM
More stomping reviews of Animated figs. This time it's Atomic Lugnut & Wreck-Gar.

Great reviews, Stompy - I look forward to the toys' Antipodean arrival.

jacksplatt11
2nd February 2009, 09:15 PM
Wow, mega shellformer hey, pretty disappointing

GoktimusPrime
2nd February 2009, 09:57 PM
No QC issues this time round except for one. The cockpit holds together well when placed properly so that was a huge sigh of relief from me.
Good to see that I wasn't the only one who had that problem with Lugnut. (-_-) He's my 2nd least favourite Animated Decepticon.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jam_shoulders.jpg

STL
2nd February 2009, 11:02 PM
Great review, Stompster! I haven't clicked on those links but now I'm worried. :( (and thanks for being thoughtful too :) )

dirge
2nd February 2009, 11:12 PM
Atomic Lugnut

He can blow up anytime and decimate a big chunk of the planet.

It'd grow back, though, right? Right!?!

Wreck-Gar

Another dissapointment is finding out that Wreck-Gar is a shellformer. :(

You know, this is something I'll easily overlook in this case - purely because the alternate mode is something we've not seen in a Transformer in the last 25 years.

The stability issues you mentioned do concern me, but I'll probably still grab him for the originality alone.

Thanks for the insight :)

Wheel-J
3rd February 2009, 12:49 AM
Nice review Stompy! Wreck-Gar the backpacker will definitely join my animated line! :D Based on your pics, I'm not so bothered with the size of his backpack. If poseability becomes an issue to me (becasue of his backpack), I'm not sure if I could pull down one or two of his forklifts at the back of his legs and stay hidden to balance him off. The shellformer issue is not bad at all imho. Might be an animated tribute to the pretenders, somehow... ;) lol! :D

:)

griffin
3rd February 2009, 01:48 AM
Nice reviews Stompy. :)

i_amtrunks
3rd February 2009, 09:19 AM
Wreck-gar didn't look that small when I saw him in packaging the other week, but geez he must be tiny in alt mode to be smaller than Bulkhead.

I can't wait to get my paws of Wreck-gar, it's something new and different, even if he is a shellformer.

Atomic Lugnutz is awesome just from the name, and he sure is a nice repaint, but since I already have two Lugnutz I'll have to try and hold off on getting him as long as I can.

Thanks for the reviews stompy.

Stompy
3rd February 2009, 03:28 PM
Thanks everyone. :)

Wreck-Gar is still a great figure and still remains faithful to the cartoon series.

Atomic Lugnut is one of the best repaints I've encountered.

Stompy
9th February 2009, 09:08 PM
Review time again. With the help of original and legends Prowl...

Samurai Prowl

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Prowl-groupshot.jpg

Contradictory bio to the show. Back of box says he decked himself out with the Samurai Gear to beat Lockdown at his own game. Yet in the tv show, Lockdown gives him the armour to work together for a particular task. Either way we finally get our proper Prowl warrior.

First off let's take a look at the differences in the alt mode of the bike as there has been some minor tweaks from the original mold:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Prowls-comparison.jpg
New Prowl on the left and original on the right.

Main difference are the very bright blue clear plastic for the windshield and siren. Speaking of windshield, the entire front bit have been redesigned to be larger with a pointier nosecone. The engine cover is now a different shape and the rear of the bike is slightly larger. Paint wise it's largely the same bar the chevrons on the rear on the opposite direction. The hubcaps is also painted differently with the new version lacking any paint with the faux ninja star inside the wheels. Note that the ninja stars blades are now painted black. Also the gas cap is no longer painted blue. Just gold like the rest of the chassy. Some more molding differences include the circular design over the engine cover, the black peg strip over the chevrons for weapon attachment in robot mode and the two rectangular holes on the hubcap and engine cover is for the sidecar to attach to. Overall a much more striking alt mode mainly due to the larger windshield and nosecone, the use of the clear blue plastic, although the wheels tend to look a lot more sparse and unfinished with its blue colour and less paint apps.

On to bot mode:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Prowls-botcomparison.jpg
Original on left, new version on right.

Almost identical. The new Prowl now has black hands and black thigh pads. The windshield is also more obvious being light blue and clear. The ninja stars are still there stowed away. A few key differences includes a slightly thinner head to accommodate the helmet. Extra articulation on the legs via a swivel joint near the ball joint on the waist. Another change to accommodate for the new backpack is the ability for the fins to fold up and down independently from the chest/windshield as shown below. Notice the circular join on the front most fin folded up.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Prowls-fins.jpg

Now for the main event... the sidecar/armor. Let's look at the sidecar first.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/SamuraiProwl-Sidecar.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/SamuraiProwl-weapon.jpg

Helped propped up by legends Prowl and angle taken to avoid spoiling the conversion. The sidecar is the main event of the Samurai Prowl show. The actual sidecar mimics the design of the front of the bike. The wheels spin and nicely matches Prowls own wheels. It is very sturdy and feels very solid. The surprising thing is that I was expecting the sidecar to be a legoformer that you just peg onto the respective body parts of Prowl. Besides the wheel popping off to become the shield & weapon, the sidecar actually converts and is one piece! Even on Prowl. Pictures linked below to avoid spoilage for those who wants to experience it firsthand.

Top view - semi-converted: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/SamuariProwl-sidecarconverting.jpg

Armor & Weapon display - fully converted: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/SamuraiProwl-ArmorWeapon.jpg

And with the armor on Prowl:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/SamuraiProwl-botpose.jpg

Clearly a very obvious Samurai look, complete with blade and back fins. The colours just meld together and the armor stays on quite securely and effectively despite the loose "first step" attachment. the helmet is extremely well done with a clear blue eye-piece. Although the helmet itself doesn't rotate at all. Can't find much fault really except for the non rotating helmet and perhaps a katana blade that he could have been able to hold. Below are more pics linked to avoid any conversion spoilage:

Side: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/SamuraiProwl-botside.jpg
Back: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/SamuraiProwl-botback.jpg

Overall a great update with an excellent well engineered accessory that really makes this Prowl the one to have. You will just look at that traffic light mace with a wry laugh. One thing that still bogs this figure down are the same problems that the original Prowl had... No heel spurs make posing harder especially now with the armour adding a lot of weight to the top half. Some pose experimentation is required to keep him from falling. Also the ball joint on the legs to waist still gets way too loose. But I can forgive taht for now having the TRUE Prowl. Having him without the armor just looks empty, lonely and bare.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Prowls-EnvyWorship.jpg

ALL HAIL SAMURAI PROWL!

Kyle
9th February 2009, 09:55 PM
Great review Stompy! They've made an already good toy an even better toy! Can't wait to see him at retail... :p

STL
9th February 2009, 11:34 PM
He does look awesome, Stompy. can't wait to grab him. Definitely a winner for this year.

Golden Phoenix
9th February 2009, 11:45 PM
Good review man

just curious though, how far can you get the armour onto the original prowl?

iceburn
9th February 2009, 11:49 PM
He does look awesome, Stompy. can't wait to grab him. Definitely a winner for this year.

haha everyone's a winner to you mate :rolleyes:

STL
9th February 2009, 11:50 PM
haha everyone's a winner to you mate :rolleyes:

Except you. :D

Golden Phoenix
9th February 2009, 11:55 PM
Except you. :D

Ice, your gonna need some cream for that BURN

Stompy
10th February 2009, 12:00 AM
Good review man

just curious though, how far can you get the armour onto the original prowl?

You can't get the armour over the original Prowl. Those fins prevent it from being put on. Hence the ability to fold the fins up on the new re-mold.

EDIT:
Actually, you can but the helmet will not fit into the bigger head of the original mold. It can fit in halfway. But the shoulder pads and waist guards can be moved to position.

EDIT 2:
Here's a pic of what it looks like. It actually holds pretty well.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Prowl-Originalarmor.jpg

SilverDragon
11th February 2009, 09:51 PM
I got the jet twins today.

Jet modes, for want of a better word, suck from the waist down. They look cool in the comic, but in toy form not so much. I'd like some actual wings. But, considering that they have to form half of a robot as well as transform into individual robots, at least they look like jets and not like the it's-a-submarine-because-we-say-so type vehicles that many G1 Pretenders are.

Combined jet mode just looks wrong. Someone over at the TFA Livejournal community described it best in two words: "JET SEX."

Robot modes are where they shine, and I really think that the designers put effort into this. They are really quite poseble, and they are full of character. I find it interesting that a 'good' character is homaging a villain (Jetstorm). While I do like Jetfire (mostly because of his flying ace-style head), I think I like Jetstorm better because of his colours.

Safeguard is quite well done. It's impressive how two very different colour schemes don't clash. I do think that the back is a mess of kibble, so I've been trying to fix that up by posing the arms. So far, my favourite way of doing so is to have the top pair fold over Safeguard's shoulders like a pair of cannons, and the bottom pointed down.

Ode to a Grasshopper
24th February 2009, 02:54 PM
Why oh why did they have fixed, hinged guns on Voyager Starscream? :( :confused: A simple peg on the blasters and some holes on his forearms, biceps and on his wings (for vehicle mode) and he'd still be able to store his weapons in all modes AND be more show-accurate to boot, without much if anything by the way of added production costs.

Likewise, Blitzwing's robot mode could have been so much better if he'd had clips on his shoulders for his guns to clip onto like the ones on his tank turret/plane tail (only hinged so as to move vertically rather than horizontally). It wouldn't have been perfect but he would have got some sort of show-accurate robot battle mode at least.

They're both still fun figures and I'm happy I got them, but it's disappointing to see how a few small changes could have made them (IMO) much better.

Stompy
4th March 2009, 12:33 AM
Waspinator Review:

Bio on back of card says that after some experiments performed by Blackarachnia on Waspinator, he became a wasp with the ability to survive even after being blown to bits. His hatred for Bumblebee still lingers strongly.

I guess he shares a common vendetta as Blackarachnia has with Sentinel & Optimus.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Waspinator-alt.jpg

Waspinator's new alt mode is of a wasp. The paintjob consists of black on the abdomen neck, back and waist. There's also some silver for the insignia and on the side of his torso. Some light green paint apps on the wasp mode forehead and antennae. There's plenty of clear purple plastic used for the wings, eyes, elbows and thighs. Just enough to break the monotony of dark green for the arms and legs. Play value isn't much in this mode. The back legs can be positioned easily enough in all sorts of angles. Although the four front legs share the one "shoulder" joint. The way the "shoulder" is positioned doesn't allow for much poses for the front 4 legs. Especially when the two are joined on the same arm. The head is pretty much stuck in that one position and cannot swivel or spin at all.

There's a small knob just behind the wings that when pulled back will make the wings flap out by about 2cm. Otherwise it has very little play value and is merely a display piece in alt mode.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Waspinator-botpose.jpg

The conversion to botmode is pretty much what you would expect just by looking at the two modes. Which is a little simple and somewhat uninteresting conversion.

The bot mode looks great but much like the alt mode, has very little play value besides the flapping wings. There are no new paint apps featured. The robot mode reminds me a lot of Swoop but a little chunkier. There are no included weapons but at least the proportions are perfect.

Articulation is excellent and the tail/abdomen is quite light that balance issues are very limited. There's four points of articulations on each leg, including a horizontal swivel on the thighs. Which I love in figures as it allows for great poses.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Waspinator-chestcloseup.jpg

The head sculpt reveals a very large serrated jaw and clear purple light piped eyes. It's on a ball joint so it can be moved around as expected with a ball jointed head. Also note the two mini-arms (probably lent to him by Grimlock) that appears on his chest for some "fly-like" hand rubbing action. This isn't present in the alt mode but there is an option for you to make them a little visible in the alt mode.

Overall a very nice looking figure with very little play value. The lack of a weapon is to blame. Even if they incorporated a missile launcher for his tail, especially since the bio at the back says he has paralyzing stingers. A bit of a missed opportunity since the tail is just solid and has no conversion purposes. Definately a display piece.

STL
5th March 2009, 01:02 AM
He looks great. I hope to find him sometime soon along with Prowl too now that sightings have popped up.

Sky Shadow
5th March 2009, 09:35 AM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk269/StompBrother/Transformers/Prowl-Originalarmor.jpg

Just out of interest, who's the orange robot behind Prowl? :confused:

iceburn
5th March 2009, 10:19 AM
Fantastic Four - Johnny Storm
Marvel Crossover

Sky Shadow
5th March 2009, 01:12 PM
Fantastic Four - Johnny Storm
Marvel Crossover

Ah, I see. Another reason why I'm ignoring that toyline.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/4739/thetorch.jpg (http://img22.imageshack.us/my.php?image=thetorch.jpg)
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/thetorch.jpg/1/w1280.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img22/thetorch.jpg/1/)

The_Damned
15th March 2009, 04:54 AM
ep 1,2 and 3 are out of season 3 have aired and it is called transwarped.(wink wink)

TheFallen
19th March 2009, 09:33 AM
I recently purchased a bootlegged DVD of season 1 and 2 of Animated and to my suprise I really enjoy it.

I have to admit, after seeing the initial pics, I didn't like the animation style but it is so well written and actually quite enjoyable. I could never really get past only a handfull of the Unicron Trilogy episodes but TFA is way better

Which brings me to this. I was hoping I wouldn't be starting a new TF toyline. I only collect Universe/Classics but I just don't seem to be able to resist getting into the TFA toyline

I want to start off my collection but I'm not quite sure on who to get so I am after some suggestions. After reading this thread there seems to be a lot of QC issues so I don't want to be disappointed after I open the package

So far I am thinking of starting with Stealth Lockdown (I've read there is problems with his wrists?) and maybe Grimlock. Is this a good start? Is there any others which are highly recommended?

i_amtrunks
19th March 2009, 10:05 AM
Is there any others which are highly recommended?

If you can track them down, go and get yourself a Cybertron Prime and Ratchet (both deluxes) I'd also suggest Prowl, but wait and get the Samurai version. Activator Bumblebee is a must buy, but good luck finding him.

Voyager Bulkhead does not disappoint either, but you may prefer the leader class figure. Leader Megatron is a solid figure.

Of the newer figures, Jazz, Sentinel Prime and Oil Slick are all must haves IMO. Blurr, Wasp, Swindle and Wreck-Gar are all on my want list, but I cannot comment on them as I as yet do not have them. Depending on your love of other character, Snarl, Swoop, Black Arachnia, Lockdown and Soundwave are all decent buys.

While you may get a QC issue with Voyager Lugnut (of my two, one has the QC problem with the cockpit, the other does not), he is more than worth getting, one of the best figures to be released in any line from the past 5 years.

Sky Shadow
19th March 2009, 11:04 AM
So far I am thinking of starting with Stealth Lockdown (I've read there is problems with his wrists?)

I would not start with Stealth Lockdown! (Unless you just want it for the Legends Optimus and Bumblebee). The clear plastic on Stealth Lockdown is completely inappropriate for the mould and so it's unlikely that it will even Transform cleanly into vehicle mode (and once it's there it will probably be jammed together and hard to prise apart.) Original Lockdown is a great toy, however. I completely agree with all Trunks's above comments and would also add the Starscream/Skywarp/Sunstorm mould as well as Ultra Magnus to the list as other good Animated Toys.

jaydisc
19th March 2009, 11:08 AM
I want to start off my collection but I'm not quite sure on who to get so I am after some suggestions. After reading this thread there seems to be a lot of QC issues so I don't want to be disappointed after I open the package

I agree with all of Trunks assessments (I'm very partial to Voyager Bulkhead, but those who care about scale should avoid), and Sky Shadow's recommendation to avoid Stealth Lockdown.

Why don't you give us an idea of what figures in other lines you DO like and why, as opinions are always so subjective. If we get an idea of your tastes, we can probably make better recommendations.

Sky Shadow
19th March 2009, 03:10 PM
Activator Bumblebee is a must buy, but good luck finding him.

Today I found Animated Shockwave and he actually comes with Activators Bumblebee (in yellow - not the less-loved white version). Both are great toys - Shockwave/Longarm Prime is ingenious and heaps of fun - each mode has all sorts of subtle changes and takes a lot of thought to get right (particularly since he's packaged in Shockwave mode and the instructions start in tank mode and miss out several steps - already I've found that Shockwave's spine bends backwards and forwards and his neck pulls all the way in and out - neither of which are documented.) Longarm is so cute and Shockwave is imperious - everything that's long in Shockwave is (ironically) short in Longarm. The legs in tank and crane modes were the toughest bit to get right, but once they are, the vehicle modes are suitably solid. For me, everything that was wrong about Animated Blitzwing is right about Shockwave. I'm adding him to my Animated recommendations. :D

Ode to a Grasshopper
19th March 2009, 03:38 PM
So far I've got Swindle, Blitzwing, Starscream (voyager), Lugnut, Sentinel Prime, Jazz, and Ratchet, and plan on getting most of the more recent/upcoming characters.
I highly recommend Jazz, Sentinel, and Lugnut, especially Jazz and Lugnut. Ratchet's pretty good, but not quite up there with Jazz etc - I really like the character so well worth it for me, but maybe check out someone else's before you buy. Starscream is great in robot mode but a bit of a let-down in fighter mode, and Blitzwing is a bit of a let-down in general. Swindle's alright, again, try before you buy.

jaydisc
19th March 2009, 06:28 PM
Today I found Animated Shockwave and he actually comes with Activators Bumblebee (in yellow - not the less-loved white version). Both are great toys - Shockwave/Longarm Prime is ingenious and heaps of fun - each mode has all sorts of subtle changes and takes a lot of thought to get right (particularly since he's packaged in Shockwave mode and the instructions start in tank mode and miss out several steps - already I've found that Shockwave's spine bends backwards and forwards and his neck pulls all the way in and out - neither of which are documented.) Longarm is so cute and Shockwave is imperious - everything that's long in Shockwave is (ironically) short in Longarm. The legs in tank and crane modes were the toughest bit to get right, but once they are, the vehicle modes are suitably solid. For me, everything that was wrong about Animated Blitzwing is right about Shockwave. I'm adding him to my Animated recommendations. :D

Yes, Shockwave definitely rules. While I have all the neck movement, what do you mean by spine movement?

Sky Shadow
19th March 2009, 06:55 PM
Yes, Shockwave definitely rules. While I have all the neck movement, what do you mean by spine movement?

When you turn him from Longarm to Shockwave his entire hips, belly and crotch section can click forward. You see the two stripes on either side just under his ribcage? When you click that section forward, the stripes go up into the ribcage. It's like some sort of latin thrusting dance move and gives Shockwave a different posture to Longarm. Try it - if my descriptions don't make sense I'll see if someone's put up pictures on the Internet...

jaydisc
19th March 2009, 06:59 PM
AWESOME. That is what I thought you meant, but mine was just nice 'n' stiff. Great find!

Sky Shadow
19th March 2009, 07:03 PM
AWESOME. That is what I thought you meant, but mine was just nice 'n' stiff. Great find!

Ah, good. For those who don't understand my gibberish, I just went trawling on the Interwebs and found this visual aid:

http://www.toyretard.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/dsc_0581-500x332.jpg

SilverDragon
19th March 2009, 07:27 PM
@Raiden. For a good start, try Swoop. Granted, his beast mode may not be all that great (but it's pretty good), but robot mode is pure love. He's such a mass of ball joints that I reckon he might be one of the most poseble of the Animated toys.

Ratchet is pretty cool too, as is Blackarachnia.

I would not start with Stealth Lockdown! (Unless you just want it for the Legends Optimus and Bumblebee). The clear plastic on Stealth Lockdown is completely inappropriate for the mould and so it's unlikely that it will even Transform cleanly into vehicle mode (and once it's there it will probably be jammed together and hard to prise apart.) Original Lockdown is a great toy, however. I completely agree with all Trunks's above comments and would also add the Starscream/Skywarp/Sunstorm mould as well as Ultra Magnus to the list as other good Animated Toys.

I agree with your sentiment about Stealth Lockdown being hard to transform. He sticks together very well in car mode-so well that I snapped a peg when trying to transform him two weeks ago. :(

jacksplatt11
19th March 2009, 07:29 PM
Oil Slick Oil Slick Oil Slickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

TheFallen
20th March 2009, 12:17 AM

Yeah, sorry, I made a mistake. I meant Blazing Lockdown, not Stealth Lockdown (not enough sleep)

@Raiden. For a good start, try Swoop. Granted, his beast mode may not be all that great (but it's pretty good), but robot mode is pure love. He's such a mass of ball joints that I reckon he might be one of the most poseble of the Animated toys.

Swoop has been in my sights as well as the other Dinobots

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to buy atleast one to give it a try but knowing me I will end up with more so I guess it will just be whoever looks cool when the purchasing starts :)

TheFallen
20th March 2009, 12:24 AM
I agree with all of Trunks assessments (I'm very partial to Voyager Bulkhead, but those who care about scale should avoid), and Sky Shadow's recommendation to avoid Stealth Lockdown.

Why don't you give us an idea of what figures in other lines you DO like and why, as opinions are always so subjective. If we get an idea of your tastes, we can probably make better recommendations.

Thats a tough one. I don't know why I buy certain figures. I guess ones that look good in both modes and with enjoyable transformations.

Pretty vague huh? :)

Tetsuwan Convoy
20th March 2009, 12:32 AM
I reckon, start with Swoop. However I am a bad one to ask, coz I reckon they are all pretty good. Except for Blitzwing.

I was suprised at the level of mould changes made to Mr Happy Mods Prowl (I dont like calling him Samurai) main body to fit the side car on. Much sharper, its very close to a completely new mould.

Swindle is bags full of personality and even though Waspinator is very simple, he has lots too;)

TheFallen
20th March 2009, 12:47 AM
I reckon, start with Swoop. However I am a bad one to ask, coz I reckon they are all pretty good. Except for Blitzwing.

I was suprised at the level of mould changes made to Mr Happy Mods Prowl (I dont like calling him Samurai) main body to fit the side car on. Much sharper, its very close to a completely new mould.

Swindle is bags full of personality and even though Waspinator is very simple, he has lots too;)

So Blitzwing is pretty bad? Thats unfortunate because he is one of my favourite characters on the show

i_amtrunks
20th March 2009, 08:59 AM
So Blitzwing is pretty bad? Thats unfortunate because he is one of my favourite characters on the show

I could be considered a biased one eyed aniamted fan, but I'll level with you, Blitzwing is pretty 'meh' and there have been mpore than a few instances of him having serious QA issues (just ask Goktimus), which is why I didnt recommend him in the first place. he is a fantastic character on the show, but not so great on the toy shelf.

All the awesomesauce was taken out of Blitzwing and dumped into Lugnut and Oil Slick.

Start with the deluxes, like oil Slick, Cybertron Prime and Jazz, they are the meat and potatoes of the Animated Line.

Sky Shadow
20th March 2009, 09:10 AM
I could be considered a biased one eyed aniamted fan, but I'll level with you, Blitzwing is pretty 'meh' and there have been mpore than a few instances of him having serious QA issues (just ask Goktimus), which is why I didnt recommend him in the first place.

It's sad because the toy looks so great and has such great gimmicks (triple-changer, multiple faces) but is physically a mess. If there was an empirical 'worst' Animated toy, Blitzwing would have to be it. It was an ambitious failure, and sadly - unlike so many of the other characters - it's the character's only toy incarnation. (Well... unless one bought a Happy Meal in France):

http://tformers.net/g/albums/10409/Untitled-1.jpg

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2009, 10:38 AM
GRARGH! Animated Blitzwing is the bane of my existence!! I would absolutely recommend that you do **NOT** buy this toy unless you're a completist. :(

I bought Animated Blitzwing, its canopy tabs broke and the wing pegs were deformed. So I returned it and got a second one. Tabs broke. Got a third one, deformed pegs. Got a fourth one - canopy tabs are showing signs of stress after I tried transforming it in and out of tank mode a few times with extreme care... I just avoid locking the turret in now (i.e.: I never properly transform it into tank mode) because I'm terrified of breaking the canopy tabs again.

This toy is nine colours of Sugar-Honey-Ice-Tea... do not waste your money on it! Animated Blitzwing would have to be the poster boy for Animated's poor quality control. :( (T_T)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/animated_blitzwing_qcmondai.jpg

jaydisc
20th March 2009, 04:18 PM
I love Animated Blitzwing. He's always been pretty divisive though. I woudn't rule out buying, I'd just recommend trying first (got any collector mates?)

shokwave2
20th March 2009, 08:38 PM
I've never had a problem with any of my TF's and my kids play rough as guts with them. Are you sure you're transforming Blitzwing correctly?

GoktimusPrime
20th March 2009, 09:07 PM
Yup. I followed the instructions. I brought him along to the Megatron Club AGM and kup also had a go transforming him really carefully too, like neurosurgical level of care. I was able to transform it a few times that way, but after a few times stress marks appeared so I've given up now.

If you do get Blitzwing do make sure you keep the receipt.

TheFallen
21st March 2009, 01:32 AM
Ok, I ended u getting Soundwave and Blazing Lockdown.
I was so excited before I opened them but it just seemed a bit of a let down after I transformed them

Soundwave was pretty good, very short and stocky. No real problems but I just thought it would be better for some reason

Lockdown was the one I wanted more and I think this is the one that was the bigger letdown. The Chainsaw really had to be forced into position on the hood and I thought I was going to break it.

Are the hands supposed to go at a 45 degree angle from the wrists?
I've read there were issues with the hands breaking so I didn't want to force them in place incase they weren't supposed to go

I might pick up another couple of figs just to make sure if I like these or not but at this stage I am not convinced I will

loophole
21st March 2009, 09:22 AM
Ok, I ended u getting Soundwave and Blazing Lockdown.
I was so excited before I opened them but it just seemed a bit of a let down after I transformed them

Soundwave was pretty good, very short and stocky. No real problems but I just thought it would be better for some reason

Lockdown was the one I wanted more and I think this is the one that was the bigger letdown. The Chainsaw really had to be forced into position on the hood and I thought I was going to break it.

Are the hands supposed to go at a 45 degree angle from the wrists?
I've read there were issues with the hands breaking so I didn't want to force them in place incase they weren't supposed to go

I might pick up another couple of figs just to make sure if I like these or not but at this stage I am not convinced I will

@ Raider with Lockdowns hands thats as far as they will go out without breaking them but there is a small modification you can do to the hands so that they do go all the way out but i cant remember what you need to do or where to find a how to guide :(

SilverDragon
21st March 2009, 03:40 PM
Lockdown's hands are supposed to be like that. It's annoying, but it's the way it is.

shokwave2
21st March 2009, 04:26 PM
Just the regular Lockdown for me thanks. Won't bother getting repaints of Blazing and Stealth. One of each figure will do for now.

Sky Shadow
22nd March 2009, 10:50 PM
Omega Spreem!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_PX0o2_aJqt0/ScQynrDjelI/AAAAAAAAAO0/BGC2zn_cWKw/s1600/OmegaSpreem.jpg

(Derrick Wyatt is a legend.)

Robzy
23rd March 2009, 12:02 AM
GRARGH! Animated Blitzwing is the bane of my existence!! I'm not a fan of this figure either! I love the character, but the toy really let me down. I got this guy for $22 at Target (their mistake!) and I still feel ripped off.

Still, he's a character I really like, so I just keep him standing there in robot mode - like a statue - doomed, never to be transformed ever again!

Paulbot
23rd March 2009, 12:14 PM
Love the Omega Spreem picture. Actually spoiler it did look like they were building more than one "Guardian Robot" in Transwarped...

GoktimusPrime
23rd March 2009, 08:15 PM
Still, he's a character I really like, so I just keep him standing there in robot mode - like a statue - doomed, never to be transformed ever again!
Mine transforms into jet mode just fine. Too bad it sucks. The tank mode's not that much better either really. :/

Robzy
23rd March 2009, 09:16 PM
Mine transforms into jet mode just fine. Too bad it sucks. The tank mode's not that much better either really. :/Yeah, that's what I mean. Mine transforms fine, but IMO the best "mode" is robot. I think the others look rather underwhelming to say the least!

TheFallen
24th March 2009, 12:55 AM
I decided to give Animated another chance. This time I bought Oil Slick and Grimlock

To be quite honest these are not too bad. Aside from the obvious with Grimlock and his gaping chest wound, his robot mode is very nice. My favourite so far.

Oil Slick also has a good robot mode but I could've sworn his head in the proto pics looked like he had some kind of fluid in his helmet, but it wasn't to be found in the finished product

After some more playing around with all my Animated TF's I have to say I am pretty happy with the purchases I have made (Lockdown, Soundwave, Grimlock, Oil Slick)

I think I will buy the rest of the Dinobots and Swindle and that will just about do it for my Animated collection, unless I find Atomic Lugnut and Sunstorm

Tetsuwan Convoy
24th March 2009, 08:31 AM
Orignally the plans for Oilslick were to have some liquid in his noggin, but Hasbro changed their minds due to safety concerns about water quality from China and what would happen if the helmet broke. Fair enough in my mind. I have never been a fan of liquid and toys, unless they are designed to go in the water.

The only reason to get a Blazing Lockdown IMO is for the chainsaw....

Blurr is pretty awesome as well. If you want to get something larger, Magnus and Megatron are great too.

i_amtrunks
24th March 2009, 09:35 AM
I think I will buy the rest of the Dinobots and Swindle and that will just about do it for my Animated collection, unless I find Atomic Lugnut and Sunstorm

Snarl (Slag) and Swoop are very good toys, you won't be disappointed with them.
And good call on Atomic Lugnut, it's one fine looking specimen.

Paulbot
25th March 2009, 09:22 AM
Blurr has a nice sleek car mode that holds together well. The switching the position of the arms and legs during the transformation works great. The tall lithe robot mode looks like a runner. Very pleased with the toy.

Swindle's shortness doesn't bother me, he's compact but full of character. The thing I love most about Swindle though is his gun and the way it changes colour ("lighting up") when loaded and ready to fire. It's such a nice little extra touch that surprised me and made me smile.

GoktimusPrime
5th April 2009, 07:55 PM
Comparison between regular and Samurai Prowl:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/th_animated_prowl_compar1.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/animated_prowl_compar1.jpg)http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/th_animated_prowl_compar2.jpg (http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/animated_prowl_compar2.jpg)

And yes, I know I made a transformation mistake with Samurai Prowl in those pics - the waist wasn't turned around correctly. I can't be bothered redoing the shots. :p

Overall I think the original Prowl is a better toy.

Sidecar attachments aside, Samurai Prowl is a retool and slight repaint of the original toy. Here's a list of differences that I've noticed and which one I think is better...

+ Windows are blue with "tech" sculpt deco on the front windscreen on Samurai Prowl. On the original they're a grey tint with no "tech" decos. I prefer the original.

+ Original Prowl's front windscreen is "U" shaped whereas Samurai Prowl's is "W" shaped. I don't like/dislike either over the other.

+ Headlights on original Prowl are black whereas Samurai Prowl's are clear blue. While I'm not fond of the blue, the effect is nice because it makes the headlights stand out whereas original Prowl's are barely noticeable. So I'm gonna give the point to Samurai Prowl in this department.

+ Samurai Prowl's head crest is made from the same transparent blue that his eyes are with the crest painted over with gold and grey. Unfortunately the paint apps on the crest is sloppy allowing for a lot of blue piped light to "bleed" from around the crest. The eyes and crest is also smaller which doesn't look as nice as on the original to me. Original Prowl's eyes are metallic sky blue with a gold and grey painted crest. The paint apps on the original are also sloppy, but doesn't look as bad since there's no light bleeding (as there is no light pipe gimmick). So while the basic execution isn't inherently better or worse on either toy, the result looks worse on Samurai Prowl so I'm giving the point to the original toy here.

+ The gold arrows on Prowl's gauntlets are pointing upward on Samurai Prowl but downward on the original. I don't think either looks better or worse than the other, but Samurai Prowl's arrows is obscured by large black tabs which are required for attaching his Samurai armour. Because it's a reasonable part of the gimmick I can forgive it. So equal points here.

+ Original Prowl's engine block has grey painted accents and his fingers and thumbs are painted beige. Samurai Prowl's engine and fingers are unpainted which makes it look very dull. Original Prowl wins here hands down (sic).

+ The vents on the outer thighs are gold on original Prowl but black on Samurai Prowl. While both work to break up the beige of the upper legs, I think the gold works better on the original toy whereas the black just looks dull on Samurai Prowl, especially given the unpainted black fingers and engine. Preference for the original here.

+ The ninja stars on original Prowl are entirely gold whereas on Samurai Prowl they're a combination of gold, grey and black - which is a nice touch. Unfortunately this is undone by the fact that - for some reason that eludes me - the ninja star gimmick has been REMOVED from Samurai Prowl! The teeth for on the cogs that allow the shurikens' blades to extend and retract have been removed - resculpted so that they're smooth. I pulled hard to get the blade to come out but they wouldn't budge. I don't see why Hasbro has done this... surely it wouldn't save them any money since the existing mould already has toothed cogs - and it would still be the same number of parts. Odd. So I'm gonna give the point to the original toy here.

+ The strobe lights are red and blue on the original, whereas they're both blue on Samurai Prowl which looks dull. Original is better here.

Overall the original version of Animated Prowl is a better toy IMO. I'd only recommend Samurai Prowl if you're a fan of the show and you really want a version of the toy with the armour/weapon. Otherwise don't lose any sleep over it. Unfortunately the armour cannot attach to the original Prowl toy.

I'm also not a fan of them calling this toy "Samurai" Prowl considering that he's meant to be a freaking ninja. But it seems that TF Animated has blended the concepts of Samurai and ninja together... which irks me... but it's clearly something not restricted to Prowl since his master Yoketron also had armour. The original Prowl toy is better in terms of capturing a more authentic essence of a ninja.

Sky Shadow
5th April 2009, 08:07 PM
Here's a list of differences that I've noticed and which one I think is better...

+ Samurai Prowl doesn't come with a traffic light on a string.

= Automatic win for Samurai Prowl.

GoktimusPrime
5th April 2009, 08:18 PM
Haha, yes that is true. :)

SilverDragon
9th April 2009, 06:00 PM
Since he's a ninja dressed up as a samurai, do you think we should really call him Samuninja Prowl or something?

GoktimusPrime
9th April 2009, 10:24 PM
"Samuninja" means "cold ninja." ;) Slangwise it can mean "lame ninja" (lame as in extremely sad/uncool). :p Also, samurai =/= ninja. (-_-)

I got the Arrival TPB today - first time I'd read TF Animated comics (aside from the one packaged with Safeguard). Ummm... how shall I put this... it's CRAP. The first issue is highly confusing and makes little sense if you've never seen the cartoon. It's like a trailer for the cartoon pilot. Then there's the human supervillains -- do they need to appear in the comics too?! There's an entire issue dedicated to Professor Princess! <insert.many.swear.words> A lot of the stories are just really campy.

And before anyone says "but it's for kids" - I started reading Transformers comics in 1984 when I was knee-high to a Protoform, and I gotta say, while the early G1 comics were kinda corny and did have some problems; they got nothing against Animated. It's the same criticism I had for Season 1 and some of Season 2 of the cartoon - the story just talks down to the audience, even as children.

Having said that, there were some parts that weren't totally hopeless:
+ "Stilleto" was an okay story. Not great, but the human villain was relatively less lame (compared to Prof. Princess and Angry Archer anyway) and the story did serve to advance the overall story arc. Mildly.
+ "'Bots of Science." A pretty good stand alone story, and of course the debut of Oil Slick. Didn't like the artwork in it though.
+ "A Few Loose Strands." Okay story and ties in well with the cartoon. Again, not fond of Boo Radley's art.
+ "Survival Skills." Okay story. Nice to see Sentinel Minor get put in his place for once.
+ "First (and Second) In Flight." This is the comic packaged with Safeguard. It's the best story in the TPB - what does that tell you?

...suddenly AHM looks like gold.

SMHFConvoy
9th April 2009, 10:57 PM
I'd just like to point out that it was written by Marty Isenberg who may be a writer and story editor for TV but it in no way mean that he's good at writing comics.

I think it was IDW who dropped the ball in this case. The Safeguard comic was (panel to panel) hard to follow. Clean sequential storytelling was negelected in favour of flashy panels that over lapped.

I'm sorely tempted to redraw it because I like animated so much...

SilverDragon
11th April 2009, 10:23 PM
While I'm a shameless TFA fanboy, I do have to agree with you, Gok. I thought the first issue was highly confusing, not least because it relied on the reader having seen the pilot. While I had done so, it still didn't flow very well as a story.

I'm not too fond of the art used in the first comic as well as other subsequent ones. This is because of the facial expressions. With few exceptions (primarily guys like Bulkhead and Lugnut without normal mouths), EVERY SINGLE ONE is 'D:', with the eyes as the only difference. THis is why I like Boo's art better-it actually manages to add variety to the characters faces, which is important in a series where the character designs largely reflect the characters themselves.

I think my favourites of this series, despite my general apathy towards it, would be 'Bots of Science', the Safeguard comic, and 'Everything Must Go'.

I like to think of the Arrival stories as one-shots that weren't really substantial enough to become entire episodes. Hence why they mostly suck.

"Samuninja" means "cold ninja." ;) Slangwise it can mean "lame ninja" (lame as in extremely sad/uncool). :p Also, samurai =/= ninja. (-_-)

So we can't really call Prowl a Samuninja, since he is neither cold nor lame. We can't call him a Ninjurai either, since that just sounds lame.

SMHFConvoy
12th April 2009, 11:14 AM
So we can't really call Prowl a Samuninja, since he is neither cold nor lame. We can't call him a Ninjurai either, since that just sounds lame.

How about "Prowl"? I like Prowl. It rolls off the tounge :p

I like to think of the Arrival stories as one-shots that weren't really substantial enough to become entire episodes. Hence why they mostly suck.

I'd call them filler really. They weren't even substantial enough to fill an entire issue with one story.

Ode to a Grasshopper
12th April 2009, 02:31 PM
I've always thought Samurai Armor Prowl was fine...More importantly, where does Optimus' trailer go when he transforms?:D

GoktimusPrime
12th April 2009, 10:37 PM
More importantly, where does Optimus' trailer go when he transforms?
To a New York strip club with Rudd. ;)

STL
13th April 2009, 12:14 AM
+ Samurai Prowl doesn't come with a traffic light on a string.

= Automatic win for Samurai Prowl.

I found myself nto that impressed by Samurai Prowl either. I like the armour in a static pose but once it's on, it's very hard to get anything dynamic with it. Add to that the problem of lack of clips to keep the backpack on, you have a toy that isn't solid and is also top heavy. It's a nice gimmick though and I do find myself admiring the blue tints of the windows and lights.

Am irked by the fact that the ninja stars too.

Going back, I finally sat down and played with Lockdown. Stealth Lockdown to be exact. I'd been iffy on keeping the Stealth Lockdown as having played with LCZ128's I hadn't really been convinced by it so I wanted to return it to Target before the 28 days change of mind offer expired. But playing with it in the confines of my own humble abode, I really warmed to it and was glad that I'd decided against returning it.

Really love the way the arms form the back of the vehicle at the right angles and the way the legs work. The hands are a bit weird but after being told at that Southland thing that that was the way the hands were supposed to be, it really has grown on me. The design of the alt mode and the robot mode also help. Very unique in their own rights. Love the detachability of the weapon into two bits as well. I think it's a great toy overall and have every intention of doubbling up on Blazing Lockdown too. :D

i_amtrunks
14th April 2009, 10:49 AM
finally saw swindle in store yesterday, can anyone tell me if all swindles have the stress marks and/or discoloured plastic on the bonnet near the Decepticon logo?

Kinda looks like the part was broken off a weapons sprig tree or something...

GoktimusPrime
14th April 2009, 10:52 AM
I've only ever seen my Swindle and dirge's and neither have those problems. Both have a problem of having "floppy bellies" though - seems to be a design flaw. :(