PDA

View Full Version : Demonac watches Energon

Demonac
24th September 2008, 11:30 PM
Nah, I changed my mind.

I'm crazy, but not crazy enough to waste valuable hours watching this stuff.

Borgeman
24th September 2008, 11:37 PM
now ian, have you been drinking your baby's fomula milk again? it keeps messing with your mind....

:D

George

kup
24th September 2008, 11:57 PM
Nah, I changed my mind.

lol I watched it all :)

I hated Poka*Ahem!*Armada with a vengeance but I was pleaseantly surprised with its Unicron Battles ending which was above and beyond the rest of the series.

As a result when Energon came along, I figured they would continue providing a proper story rather than having the whole plot revolve around a gimmick and although this did happen (Energon has a less formulaic story than Armada) it was a rather poor one and the characters and stock footage were intolerable.

By the time Cybertron came along my morale was down on the 21st Century Transformer series so I only watched the odd episode but overall it seemed more enjoyable than the previous series although it suffered from the 'gottacatchemall' plot mentality and over use of stock footage so it was still severely lacking and never grew on me. By now I have seen all the episodes in the series but not properly as I have only watched them when I could from TV, youtube, etc and not in a sequence like the other series.

Animated is an odd series. Some episodes are very enjoyable and of quality story telling but a lot of them are very bad. At the moment I am very bipolar on the series so I will need to see what they do with Season 3 before I settle my opinion.

When it comes to RID, I watched it on TV but I have very little memory of it but I can hardly recall anything specific between 1999-2003.

Pulse
25th September 2008, 12:08 AM
Nah, I changed my mind.

lol :D

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day... :p

lcz128
25th September 2008, 09:03 AM
Can't say I've watched Energon, but I have watched Superlink (Personally prefer watching things in the language they're meant to be watched in - ie if it was written for an american audience, I'm watching it in americanenglish. If it was written for a japanese audience, I'm watching it in japanese (with subbies).

So, is it good? Well, the story's not terrible- it's just not very good at all. I suppose you have to be used to the japanese style where there are lots of hero-posturing, speeches and announcements. I can't see the dub being better than the japanese original though- there are some hilarious bits in this series, and I did enjoy it. There are, though many episodes where you just want them to get to the point :\

Heh.

GoktimusPrime
25th September 2008, 09:42 AM
I watched RiD and Armada and they made me cry. After that I've never watched a Transformers dub again. *vomits* So yeah, I've only seen Super Link and Galaxy Force - never seen Energon or Cybertron. Super Link I think is okay and Galaxy Force is quite underrated and is pretty decent IMO. The over-posturing and stuff is something I've always hated though... blecch.

I can tolerate it for gestalt merging... but not for regular transformations.

i_amtrunks
25th September 2008, 09:48 AM
Galaxy Force is far superior, but you have to watch an episode or two of Cybertron Gok, just to hear the accents they use! So bad, its almost good!

I'm watching RID right now, and while the dub cast is not great, and the script is terrible, there are some decent VA (mostly for the Predacons).

Superlink is tolerable in the subbed, terrible in the dubbed version, so much confusion where there need not be in the dub. And Ironhide and Kicker have some of the worst VA work in the dub, even worse than Armada...

sifun
25th September 2008, 01:08 PM
superlink was way cool...
A huge step up from armada. Which i hate to the death.

SilverDragon
25th September 2008, 05:07 PM
I'm alright with Armada and Cybertron, but I dislike Energon quite a bit. Not that I've really watched most of the episodes-but what I have seen has been pretty, well, bad. I'd take inconsistant cel animation over primitive CGI any day if the latter option wasn't BW/BM.

Demonac
26th September 2008, 10:57 PM
I find it interesting that not one person rose to defend Energon.
Yet, if I had put any other series in the title instead of Energon, I would had someone defend it.
For the record, I have not watched Energon. Nor Superlink.
I also haven't watched: Headmasters, Victory, BW2, BW Neo, Galaxy Force, Cybertron.
I keep faltering with Headmasters & Victory, as I find them quite dull. Never tried the others.
Which of the shows I haven't watched should I put the effort in to watch?
Or are they all lost causes? :P

loophole
26th September 2008, 11:17 PM
i think you should at least try headmasters, supergod masterforce and victory im currently at the tail end of supergod after watching headmasters with subtitles of course and finding them pretty enjoyable mind you i wouldnt wanna sit through 2 hours or more in go

kup
27th September 2008, 12:22 AM
Headmasters was a bit dull but I very muche enjoyed Masterforce and Victory.

It took a couple of episodes for me to get into Victory but once i did, I loved it.

dirge
27th September 2008, 08:49 AM
I love the fact that you got two replies recommending Headmasters & Victory in your Energon thread and none on Energon. I guess that reinforces your hypothesis about Energon!

Paulbot
27th September 2008, 08:51 AM
I haven't got through Headmasters yet, or seen any Japanese BW. Galaxy Force / Cybertron isn't too bad, the animation is improved over Energon.

Energon has some good elements too but I thought you were just being funny :)