PDA

View Full Version : Hinges, pins and joints

morg176
18th February 2016, 12:56 PM
To the customisers of ozformers

How does one make hinges, and joints for customised transformer figures?
What do you use for the metal pin?

I have always wanted to make my own tf, it has always got drown in the details.

If it helps, I have my own 3d printer and I can use sketchup :D

Any help or experience would be appreciated. M

UltraMarginal
18th February 2016, 02:50 PM
I've done very little physical customising myself.
I've seen others re-use joints from junker toys. which would be a great way of getting hold of pins.

your 3D printer may struggle to print in a resolution you're happy with for a final product. If you do use it I'd use ABS as it's much stronger than PLA as far as I understand (though it's more toxic, you might want to check the MSDS)

If your designing ball joints, keep in mind that the socket needs to have some sort of split to allow for expansion to insert the ball. you will want a very tight tolerance on the diameter of the ball and the socket. sharp corners tend to be weak spots, always radius corners. try to avoid sudden big changes in material thickness, this will promote warping as plastic cools, especially if you end up developing a design for injection moulding.

consider trying out 123D, it's more of a part design software than sketchup which I understand to be more of an architectural software.

If you have a spare 10 K, use Catia. :cool:

Raider
18th February 2016, 04:45 PM
I've seen others re-use joints from junker toys. which would be a great way of getting hold of pins.

For non-complex stuff, this is what I would recommend. I have repaired many bots using junker parts from differing bots and even on some custom testing I just use junkers. I have a huge box of junker parts I keep just for that very reason.

SMHFConvoy
18th February 2016, 05:49 PM
I use, lego, construct bot parts, hinges from other toys and there's this site that rediscovered recently for scratch built hinges:

Cardboardmodeling.com (http://cardboardmodeling.com)

Golden Phoenix
18th February 2016, 06:21 PM
I've seen some people use Lego ball and socket connections before.

UltraMarginal
18th February 2016, 06:25 PM
I use, lego, construct bot parts, hinges from other toys and there's this site that rediscovered recently for scratch built hinges:

Cardboardmodeling.com (http://cardboardmodeling.com)

I've always thought construct bots heads would make great custom head start points.

morg176
18th February 2016, 08:09 PM
I had the idea of trying to design my own tf, even if it is an unsophisticated one.
Even though I draw characters all the time, make a tfing one is proving cumbersome

I persevere

gamblor916
18th February 2016, 09:48 PM
Look on HLJ for hinges and socket joints. Lots of useful stuff like articulated hands too. More precise and quicker than making it yourself.

morg176
19th February 2016, 01:21 PM
Look on HLJ for hinges and socket joints. Lots of useful stuff like articulated hands too. More precise and quicker than making it yourself.

They have some nice stuff that doesnt seem too expensive. If I can actually get a design together that could transform (maybe an animal duocon) ill definitely look into getting some but for now it is just roughing out an idea then trying to model it and print it. This project will take forever : )

If you were an animal duocon (zoocon) what two animals would you split into? :D

UltraMarginal
19th February 2016, 03:02 PM
shark and octopus. ..

Eagle and kangaroo

no, wait,
Eagle and drop bear. think about it.... :eek:

GoktimusPrime
19th February 2016, 06:22 PM
If you were an animal duocon (zoocon) what two animals would you split into? :D
I'd like to see this done with Fuzors.

I'm always keen to see alt modes that have never been done before, so I'd go for:
* Chicken and sheep (really want to see a chicken Transformer)
* Octopus and red back spider
* Baboon and seagull

morg176
20th February 2016, 01:54 PM
Does anyone know (of where to find) the basic/average dimensions for a scramble city combiner limb?

GoktimusPrime
21st February 2016, 12:31 AM
Does anyone know (of where to find) the basic/average dimensions for a scramble city combiner limb?
Replied here (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=511806#post511806)