PDA

View Full Version : anyone can help fix this broken figure?

micfox001
9th March 2016, 09:22 AM
Hi,

I got the impossible toys nightbird recently but her knee joint was broken when she was taken out of the clamshell:
http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s475/micfox001/IMG_3294_zpsfd5tlzxv.jpg

http://i1053.photobucket.com/albums/s475/micfox001/IMG_3297_zpsk1o0b9kk.jpg

AS Impossible Toy is out of business, could anyone help fix this figure? Thank you. I am in Sydney.

micfox001
9th March 2016, 09:24 AM
It is in the wrong board.. could the admin move my post to the fix area?

Jetfire in the sky
9th March 2016, 09:35 PM
This looks fixable, it's a hard one but it can be done, it looks like her knee joint pin can't be taken out without some damage to the figure so the best bet is Loctite super glue, unfortunately this isn't cheap in Australia, almost $20.00 at Bunnings, and yet I bought it for $5.00 AUD in the US last year to fix my sunglasses while we were traveling there :eek:
If the original parts of that joint are still inside the knee then you will need the glue and a long pin, just need to dab an amount big enough so that it won't touch any other area inside the joint, then apply the lower limb fimly, it should set within a few seconds and by gently moving the joint back and forth the glue should set without locking then knee.

I hope this helps. This glue has saved me so many times for many years since I decided to buy it instead of the $2.00 crap that claims to be "super".

Thurmus
9th March 2016, 09:47 PM
Is it a pin in the knee that the broken circle goes around?

If it is you could take the pin out, glue the circle back together and then put it back in the hole and knock the knee pin back in.

Jetfire in the sky
9th March 2016, 09:54 PM
Is it a pin in the knee that the broken circle goes around?

If it is you could take the pin out, glue the circle back together and then put it back in the hole and knock the knee pin back in.

This is the definite the way to go if you can get the knee pin out.

micfox001
9th March 2016, 11:11 PM
This looks fixable, it's a hard one but it can be done, it looks like her knee joint pin can't be taken out without some damage to the figure so the best bet is Loctite super glue, unfortunately this isn't cheap in Australia, almost $20.00 at Bunnings, and yet I bought it for $5.00 AUD in the US last year to fix my sunglasses while we were traveling there :eek:
If the original parts of that joint are still inside the knee then you will need the glue and a long pin, just need to dab an amount big enough so that it won't touch any other area inside the joint, then apply the lower limb fimly, it should set within a few seconds and by gently moving the joint back and forth the glue should set without locking then knee.

I hope this helps. This glue has saved me so many times for many years since I decided to buy it instead of the $2.00 crap that claims to be "super".

Ok.. do I need to get the other half of the circle out of the knee to glue with the lower leg? But if I did that, how could I put it into the knee passing the axis?

Or are you saying I need to get the axis out of the knee too and make it through the circle joint? and then put the whole joint back in?

It is a tiny space in that knee... putting glue inside might stick all parts together in the knee...

Megatran
10th March 2016, 06:54 PM
If you have or access to a 3D printer then you could perhaps reproduce the bottom part of the right leg, give it a coat of paint & reassemble the leg.

Alternatively, you could kindly ask Heather Mills for hers.

Ralph Wiggum
10th March 2016, 07:20 PM
So there's a broken half circle piece inside the knee joint? You'll either have to jiggle it out or take apart the upper leg by splitting it in half. I assume that's how they formed the joint in the first place.

janda the red
11th March 2016, 12:34 PM
Alternatively, you could kindly ask Heather Mills for hers.

Champagne Comedy! :p

Thurmus
11th March 2016, 07:36 PM
Any chance you could post a couple more photos of the knee and leg from different angles?

DarkHyren
11th March 2016, 09:34 PM
This looks fixable, it's a hard one but it can be done, it looks like her knee joint pin can't be taken out without some damage to the figure so the best bet is Loctite super glueI have a similar issue to mic (broken knee joint of a figure, have been able to at least dissemble my patient) so this info is useful, is this the type of glue you mean?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331795841448
Would this be the best fix for these types of breaks, ignoring of course a complete knee replacement from a donor bot?

mic: is it possible to dissemble the whole leg somehow?
I think that's your best bet as that way you can repair the knee properly and slot it back in after it's dried so you wont have an immovable knee

Megatran
12th March 2016, 01:15 PM
Champagne Comedy! :p
Here to provide a fellow member with a leg up. :)

SMHFConvoy
12th March 2016, 05:03 PM
Sellys also a 2 part glue for toys I use it often.

Jetfire in the sky
12th March 2016, 05:47 PM
I have a similar issue to mic (broken knee joint of a figure, have been able to at least dissemble my patient) so this info is useful, is this the type of glue you mean?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331795841448
Would this be the best fix for these types of breaks, ignoring of course a complete knee replacement from a donor bot?

mic: is it possible to dissemble the whole leg somehow?
I think that's your best bet as that way you can repair the knee properly and slot it back in after it's dried so you wont have an immovable knee

This is the one and only
http://www.bunnings.com.au/loctite-20g-adhesive-super-glue-professional_p1230042

Other super glues may provide a temporary fix but this stuff is the Lord Business of Kragles. To be honest I have never compared the ingredients to the smaller ones but this stuff lasts for years in it's containers without a problem and the nozzle never gets clogged.

Jetfire in the sky
12th March 2016, 05:57 PM
To micfox, from the latest pic you have provided it looks like the thigh can pop off the hip joint and then you can separate the thigh piece as someone else suggested then take out the broken knee joint glue it onto the lower limb and set it back into the upper thigh piece.
I'm sorry I'm not to up to speed on this figure but I think this can be fixed.
If the thigh cannot be separated without damaging the figure don't try, just use the Loctite and get a long pin then just dab a light amount onto it and transfer it to the piece inside the knee joint on both sides but be sure not to touch any other part in that area, then press against the lower limb onto the broken part for about thirty seconds, if the joint is fairly loose normally then it would be good to move it around while the pieces are married up and drying in this time, but if it is normally a tight joint then it's probably best to wait for a longer period of time before trying to move it.

I hope this helps

micfox001
13th March 2016, 04:51 PM
To micfox, from the latest pic you have provided it looks like the thigh can pop off the hip joint and then you can separate the thigh piece as someone else suggested then take out the broken knee joint glue it onto the lower limb and set it back into the upper thigh piece.
I'm sorry I'm not to up to speed on this figure but I think this can be fixed.
If the thigh cannot be separated without damaging the figure don't try, just use the Loctite and get a long pin then just dab a light amount onto it and transfer it to the piece inside the knee joint on both sides but be sure not to touch any other part in that area, then press against the lower limb onto the broken part for about thirty seconds, if the joint is fairly loose normally then it would be good to move it around while the pieces are married up and drying in this time, but if it is normally a tight joint then it's probably best to wait for a longer period of time before trying to move it.

I hope this helps

Thanks for all the replies..

I would try to get more pictures and get that glue..

The thigh can be splitted halves to take out the other half of the broken circle in the knee joint. But I am not sure if I am able to put the thigh together again.