PDA

View Full Version : Photocomic: Shut Up!

GoktimusPrime
28th September 2008, 01:10 PM
A photocomic adaptation of the G1 (#282) story "Shut Up!" :)
Cover by John Marshall and Pete Venters.

http://www.tfarchive.com/comics/marvel/covers/uk282.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Photocomic%20Shut%20Up/photocomic_shutup01.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Photocomic%20Shut%20Up/photocomic_shutup02.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Photocomic%20Shut%20Up/photocomic_shutup03.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Photocomic%20Shut%20Up/photocomic_shutup04.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Photocomic%20Shut%20Up/photocomic_shutup05.jpg

Fin.

Soundwarp
28th September 2008, 01:18 PM
Nice one mate!

Paulbot
28th September 2008, 02:19 PM
I like how Megatron is among the confiscated weaponary...

Thanatos
28th September 2008, 02:44 PM
How in the world did Stranglehold ever get allowed as a childs toy. He's terrifying.

liegeprime
28th September 2008, 04:46 PM
HAh! there goes Gok's carpet hehehehe!! Oooh a cutter. :D:D

kup
28th September 2008, 05:51 PM
Awesome toy adaptation of the Earth Force story!

Some people dislike Earth Force because it doesn't fit right in continuity with the rest of the main story but I very much enjoyed them as an alternate telling of events.

GoktimusPrime
28th September 2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks guys. :)

I also thoroughly enjoy Earthforce, but yeah, it exists outside of mainstream G1 continuity. I think the problem with Earthforce was that it wasn't meant to be out-of-continuity, but it ended up being that way, and I think Furman has semi-officially retconned it as being so. The problem was that Earthforce was a story that Furman devised because Hasbro UK wanted the comics to start featuring the Classic G1 reissues (e.g.: Wheeljack, Prowl, Dinobots, Silverbolt, Tracks etc.). But of course, Hasbro US totally ignored this with their directives to Marvel USA, and were more concerned with having the story in the US comics follow along their toy line - as a result, ignoring the G1 reissues and their place in continuity (Earthforce). So actually, it's not that Earthforce was really written out of continuity... it's more like continuity abandoned Earthforce! :) Freaky, huh? ;)

I like how Megatron is among the confiscated weaponary...

Oooh a cutter.
I'm glad you guys got those visual in-jokes. :D There's a few more subtle ones but I'll see if anyone else can spot them. ;)

How in the world did Stranglehold ever get allowed as a childs toy. He's terrifying.
I got those Pretenders from Santa Claus in Xmas of '89. Maybe it was from that really scary robot Santa from Futurama. :p

Thanatos
28th September 2008, 09:39 PM
I got those Pretenders from Santa Claus in Xmas of '89. Maybe it was from that really scary robot Santa from Futurama. :p

Haha, definately! Toys from Neptune! :)

I mean, it doesn't bother me specifically, it's just when you think about the way toys have become different under the stringent guidelines and laws... how in 89 those toys were perfectly appropriate.

Though I wouldn't have been a subject of that. I was 6 months old as of Christmas 89 :P

GoktimusPrime
28th September 2008, 11:13 PM
Okay, I though you were just kidding before, but you got me stumped. What's so bad about Stranglehold that would make him inappropriate for children?? (O_o) It has no sharp ends, no immediate choking hazards (e.g.: projectile missiles)... I don't get it.

P.S.: Is it his "near nudity"? Cos he's meant to be an intergalactic wrestler, and tbh most regular pro-wrestling figures are waaay more naked than Stranglehold. ;)

Thanatos
28th September 2008, 11:20 PM
P.S.: Is it his "near nudity"? Cos he's meant to be an intergalactic wrestler, and tbh most regular pro-wrestling figures are waaay more naked than Stranglehold. ;)

Yeah, you do have an excellent point there Gok. That was the reason though.

Still, well done with the Photocomic.

Saintly
29th September 2008, 10:30 AM
nice Gok..

I finally made an attempt to read through it all! :P

ps. I don't usually

GoktimusPrime
29th September 2008, 06:05 PM
But I make them for you! *sniff* d:

Okay, here are the "Easter Eggs" revealed. :)

1. Confiscated weaponry:
+ Bludgeon's katana, turret-shield, rifle & cannon
+ Stranglehold's flail, shield & pistol
+ Octopunch's trident, rifle & pistol
+ Megaplex's energy flail
+ Rumble/Frenzy's gun
+ Tackle's cannon (Landcross' foot)
+ Animated Voyager Prime's gun
+ The Headmaster (he got totally owned :p)
+ Box cutter <spotted by liegeprime>
+ MEGATRON! :D <spotted by Paulbot>

2. This story comes from the G1 comics - and guess what, the prison itself is made of TF comic books! The doorway itself is made up of two white boxes full of G1 UK comics and the brown box which comprises the back wall is full of other TF comics (US G1, G2, convention exclusive comics, Dreamwave TF comics etc.). Another wall is made from the reprinted G1 manga!

3. Inferno bleeds purple mech fluid, a reference to IDW's Megatron: Origins. :)

4. The door to the Confiscated Weaponry room is orange, a reference to the G1 cartoon where Autobot bases are typically coloured orange (and Decepticon bases are usually purple).

5. The first page is in grey-scale, a tribute to the fact that this story (and the entire Earthforce saga) was printed in black and white. I was going to do the entire photocomic in grey scale but I changed my mind after doing page 1. I think colour looks better for at least this photocomic, but I left page 1 in grey scale as a homage (and cos I couldn't be bothered changing it back to colour :p)

:D

Complete coincidence: the Earthforce saga was something Furman created because Hasbro wanted to their Classic series of G1 reissues to feature in G1 canon. It just so happens that I used Classic Prowl and Transformers Collection Inferno (G1 reissues!) for this photocomic! :)

kup
29th September 2008, 06:16 PM
Complete coincidence: the Earthforce saga was something Furman created because Hasbro wanted to their Classic series of G1 reissues to feature in G1 canon. It just so happens that I used Classic Prowl and Transformers Collection Inferno (G1 reissues!) for this photocomic! :)

There was also the factor that at that time the threat of cancellation for Marvel UK was very high so it was decided to do single issue episodic stories instead of a large story arc that risked getting cut before its conclusion.

The Earthforce story had a fair bit of kiddy humor and more light hearted stories than the main 'real' story arc (although it did have some dark elements) but these were well balanced and produced an entertaining series of short stories that I can see being enjoyable to kids and adults even though they were a bit 'simplistic' in their story telling approach.

It would have been awesome if they had made the G1 cartoon like that.