PDA

View Full Version : Best Modern Triple Changer

jaydisc
29th September 2008, 04:51 PM
So, a bunch of guess are grabbing Animated Blitzwing due to his newfound availability. I was fairly certain that he'd be a pretty divisive figure, one that most would have a love or hate relationship with, and that's definitely seeming to be the case.

Also as of recent, we've had the release of Universe Tankor.

And lastly, we have Classics Astrotrain.

So, which one of these is your favorite and why?

kup
29th September 2008, 05:08 PM
I need to fully experience Octane before I can comment.

Animated Blitzwing looks plain awful even though I have not experienced him.

Saintly
29th September 2008, 05:20 PM
the only one I've opened is Astrotrain and I only got that yesterday :/

Blitzwing & Tankor will be open soonish I hope

jaydisc
29th September 2008, 05:25 PM
As soon as I clicked submit, I regretted choosing such a short poll time (4 days), because not everyone has these yet.

Mods, can you extend my poll? Something more like 30 days?

liegeprime
29th September 2008, 05:36 PM
I choose Classic/Henkei Astrotrain ( well the Henkei one is better colorwise). For me all three modes are not painful to look at. Tankor for instance has a trying hard truck mode and his bot mode has giant hands and too much kibble like wings that seems to look like its in the way rather than look good being part of the bot itself. Animated Blitzwing on the other hand though I like the kiddification look as it is animated, well, I prefer Astrotrain's modes better. Although had they issued a Classics Blitzwing - non kiddified alt modes ( Animated's SD tank mode is a drawback actually for this comparison survey) I might have chosen him istead. Some may complain that the Shuttle mode suffers due to the train fronts can be seen and makes it look to fat, but it for me is a small matter. I consider it like an added transport room (after all he is the Decepticons lead mass transport bot). His transformation may be simple and easy to figure out due to its similarities with the G1 it was modelled/ homaged after and thats a bonus as well, you dont have to worry about losing the instructions to figure him out. He looks well proportioned among the three. And I like how weapons placement on both modes (better than Tankor's). The rankinig for me is Astrotrain, Blitzwing then Tankor. HAd they issued a Classics version Blitzwing ( same alt modes as animated but not SDF'd I may change the first and second choices. BUt as of the current figure selection , its as above mentioned. Whew!!:o

iceburn
29th September 2008, 05:38 PM
i'm going with TANKOR because I love the big enormous COMB!

autobreadticon
29th September 2008, 06:22 PM
animated blitzwing, his alt mode designs are unique and refreshing

Verno
29th September 2008, 06:40 PM
Depth Charge or Rampage. You cannot beat those moulds!

dirge
29th September 2008, 06:40 PM
I vote for Octane. NOT Tankor (the most uncreative name, which sucked the first time it was used...)

Gutsman Heavy
29th September 2008, 07:48 PM
Astrotrain for me.

SilverDragon
29th September 2008, 08:00 PM
Blitzwing for me, since I haven't had any experience with any other modern Triple Changer. Although I do agree that the jet mode has problems, the tank mode amazes me since it folds up such a large robot into a tank that's small compared to the robot mode.

That and he's my favourite character in Animated.

Paulbot
29th September 2008, 08:17 PM
Jaydisc, I extended the poll for you to 30 days.

I voted for Astrotrain, Tankor would get my second vote and then Blitzwing.

Astrotrain had some nice modernisations (bullet train over locomotive), a fun transformation, a toy-colour (Classics) or cartoon-colour (Henkei) version, the feel of the original robot with more poseability.

The homage elements of each of these three toys are all very good though, but when it comes to making a decision: Astrotrain is the one I play with the most.

Pulse
29th September 2008, 08:21 PM
I'm a "Classics Guy" :) & between Astrotrain & Octane, Astrotrain is just an all-round better figure. (Octane could have been just that much better if they had integrated his comb-thing into the figure as a whole)

blackie
29th September 2008, 08:22 PM
astrotrain it is for me too.
i only like blitzwing for his robot mode and tankor is just bad imo

kup
29th September 2008, 09:22 PM

Yeah, its hard to beat the coolness of that Rampage tank and despite it not being realistic, it feels much more 'real' than other tanks due to those awesome tracks!

STL
29th September 2008, 09:54 PM

Indeed. Those would definitely get my nod of approval. Some of my favourite toys and characters are those two.

Stompy
29th September 2008, 10:00 PM
I thought this choice would have been easy but I find the older triple changers much better than these modern ones. Eventually I chose Animated Blitzwing.

Blitzwing because I love my SD anything and that Tank mode is certainly within that range. For those in the know, it looks a lot like an Advance Wars tank. The robot mode is the biggest clincher though. It's well proportioned (stylistically) and solid. The real downer is the jet mode. Those tank treads are just awful on the undercarriage. I keep thinking how they could have engineered the treads to become more flush towards the back but ah well.

Tankor is just meh in all modes. While at least believeable in both vehicle modes out of the three with their well proportioned angles and features, they all just have too much gaps and holes. Those short arms in robot mode was the biggest downer for me.

Astrotrain has an excellent shuttle alt. Very nicely accurate and proportioned, but the train mode is awful and his robot mode also suffers short arm syndrome.

In the end these 3 aren't exactly excellent figures. Too much sacrifices made in each mode with a preference for one mode. Saying that I still commend the engineers for doing their best though. Perhaps a Voyager or Ultra sized Triple Changer next for the Universe line?

i_amtrunks
30th September 2008, 08:46 AM
Astrotrain for me, I love Octane, but the QC issues I had with him soured him greatly, and Astrotrain being a train really tipped the scales in his favour.

Blitzwing's a good toy too, but his 2 alternate modes are weaker than the other two figures.

STL
20th October 2008, 03:23 PM
Astrotrain for me, I love Octane, but the QC issues I had with him soured him greatly, and Astrotrain being a train really tipped the scales in his favour.

Blitzwing's a good toy too, but his 2 alternate modes are weaker than the other two figures.

I opened and played with Octane earlier today and he is definitely my favourite of the 3 triple changers here. He's not perfect but his transformation is superior to Astrotrain and he has a lot of weaponry and gimmicks. The two guns can be held separately or combined and the comb doesn't look half bad. The weakest form for me is the jet mode where there's a lot of black stuff towards the back that annoys. I love moving between molds as it feels like a different transformation each time - something that Henkei/Classics Astrotrain does not give.

Blitzwing is a horrible toy whose single redeeming factor is his Wall-E mode. Total lack of weapons in robot mode, the way the treads show up in the jet mode, the fragility of the jet mode = plastic crap.

Anyway, I really rate Octane.

TheDirtyDigger
20th October 2008, 03:42 PM
The fists on Tankor/Octane suck. The figure imo is pretty meh.
Astrotrain is cool. Especially Henkei colours.
Haven't got Blitzwing yet so can't vote on the best.

SilverDragon
21st October 2008, 09:01 PM
I've played with Octane, and I can say that I prefer Blitzwing. Octane's alright, though I feel that his robot mode, awesome as it is, is rather messy with bits everywhere. I wish they've had some kind of locking mechanism for the plane wings when they swing upwards.

Lord_Zed
29th October 2008, 09:20 PM
I vote Octane, although he is not my favourte as triple changer he is the one I think that is most succsesfull. To me he looks reasonable in all 3 modes, Blitzwing's tracked jet doesn't cut it, and Astrotrain's train looks unconvincing.

If I were not to judge them on every mode I'd actualy prefer Astrotrain, as long as you never change him to train mode.

STL
29th October 2008, 09:41 PM
I vote Octane, although he is not my favourte as triple changer he is the one I think that is most succsesfull. To me he looks reasonable in all 3 modes,

I think that actually sums it up perfectly for me too. I don't think he's awesome in every mode or everything but he balances it across all 3 the best.