PDA

View Full Version : Places that sell G1 comics/compilations

Sam
30th September 2008, 07:26 PM
Hi everyone, I have been considering getting some of the G1 comics / compilations (i.e. "graphic novels").

I've been putting this off because I'm not a fan of the art, but am willing to give it a go for the sake of the storyline.

Does anyone know any shops which sell the compilations? Thanks.

roller
30th September 2008, 07:38 PM
Kinokiyouya sam you know that :) The Kings Comics might have some if yo lucky

Theres a good selection in WA in the comic shops. there the titan reprints of the US G1 comic

jacksplatt11
30th September 2008, 07:49 PM
your best bets would be ebay for the comics, or like roller said the titan reprints..

also IDW have recently put out transformers classics vol 1 and 2 which have reprinted so far the first 32(?) issues if i remember correctly, minus the ones that have marvel owned characters like spider-man and circuit breaker, so for those issues they just have an in-depth synopsis..

Sam
30th September 2008, 07:54 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. :)

Roller - I checked Kinokuniya, didn't see any of the compilations. Either they were sold out or I must be looking in the wrong area...

kup
30th September 2008, 08:35 PM
your best bets would be ebay for the comics, or like roller said the titan reprints..

also IDW have recently put out transformers classics vol 1 and 2 which have reprinted so far the first 32(?) issues if i remember correctly, minus the ones that have marvel owned characters like spider-man and circuit breaker, so for those issues they just have an in-depth synopsis..

How do they reconcile the parts in which Circuit Breaker are indispensable to the plot? I was looking at the Titan reprints and Circuit Breaker is present with no modifications. Did Titan license the use of the character or something?

Sam,

Amazon is probably your best best bet. Here are a few links:

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Vol-Beginnings-Ralph-Macchio/dp/184023623X/ref=pd_sim_b_10

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Vol-2-New-Order/dp/1840236256/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Vol-3-Cybertron-Redux/dp/1840236574/ref=pd_sim_b_2

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Vol-Showdown-Bob-Budiansky/dp/1840236876/ref=pd_sim_b_1

http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-Vol-Breakdown-Bob-Budiansky/dp/1840237910/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

jacksplatt11
30th September 2008, 08:49 PM
How do they reconcile the parts in which Circuit Breaker are indispensable to the plot? I was looking at the Titan reprints and Circuit Breaker is present with no modifications. Did Titan license the use of the character or something?

to be honest i don't know, i only have vol 1 and haven't read it yet, i just know that the issue #3 with spider-man is a pretty in-depth synopsis, with a little comment at the start saying they don't want to get sued for printing spider-man without the rights, and the same with the circuit breaker issue..

i haven't read any titan reprints but i guess they must've acquired the rights to print the characters..

heroic_decepticon
30th September 2008, 09:24 PM
Sam, I totally agree with Kup on Amazon.

King's Comics is the most expensive place to buy from followed by Kinokuniya (I dont want to comment on eBay cos its largely hit and miss re quality and cost of shipping).

It'll work out really cheap on Amazon if you intend to buy many compilations. Amazon sells for a fraction of a price the shops here are asking (and there are always discounts if you bundle) and if you combine shipping, its usually a good deal.

I usually wait around 6 months between buying TF compilations in bulk from Amazon, in one go.

Just a comparison:

Absolute Sandman (vol 1) from Kino = AU$165
Absolute Sandman (vol 1) from Amazon, shipped = AU$90

i_amtrunks
1st October 2008, 09:46 AM
You can also try Phantomzone in Parramatta or Chatswood, they always seem to have a TPB or two, and their prices are reasonable (about $30 a trade), but they are somewhat restricted in their options. Chatswood has a tonne of Movie related trades, and few other trades.

Kino used to be great for Transformers trades, but their IDW section is very pathetic now.

GoktimusPrime
1st October 2008, 10:00 AM
If Kinokuniya doesn't have something in stock you can ask them to custom order it for you. It takes about a month to come in and they don't charge you any extra for the service.

TheDirtyDigger
1st October 2008, 10:04 AM
I have found Amazon is consistently the cheapest place to buy any graphic novels.

heroic_decepticon
1st October 2008, 10:26 AM
You can also try Phantomzone in Parramatta or Chatswood, they always seem to have a TPB or two, and their prices are reasonable (about $30 a trade)...

Hmmm... I'd consider $30 very expensive for a trade. It's cost half or even less than that from Amazon (and it was even better when the AU dollar was strong!).

heroic_decepticon
6th October 2008, 09:04 PM
There are trades at King's Comics. Saw the following today:

- Transformers: The Ark II (3 copies)
- Transformers Spotlight 3 (3 copies) - $30
- More than Meets the Eye official guidebook vol 1 (IDW reprint) - $40
- TF Movie trades

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2008, 12:50 AM
IDW is also currently reprinting the greatest G1 story of all time (sic) - the Time Wars! :)

heroic_decepticon
7th October 2008, 09:46 AM
IDW is also currently reprinting the greatest G1 story of all time (sic) - the Time Wars! :)

I think Space Pirates and Time Wars together would make a good 'great story', and they've already done Space Pirates. heh.

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2008, 11:55 AM
Yeah. IDW has recently finished reprinting Space Pirates. Not sure if the TPB for it has come out yet or not.

heroic_decepticon
7th October 2008, 12:14 PM
Don't think the TPB is out yet, but I'm sure it will turn up soon.

For the UK stuff though, I'd prefer the Titan books reprints if only because that is the original size and format it came in.

i_amtrunks
7th October 2008, 02:03 PM
Space Pirates is out this week!

heroic_decepticon
7th October 2008, 02:37 PM
Space Pirates is out this week!

sweet!

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2008, 05:32 PM
I agree on preferring the Titan TPBs... but the IDW TPBs aren't too shabby. :)

heroic_decepticon
7th October 2008, 11:14 PM
Yup. The IDW ones are easy and convenient to read at least. The Titan ones are huge and must be handled carefully... heh.

(on a side note, I will soon be ordering Spotlight v2, v3 and Devastation from Amazon! :D)

kup
8th October 2008, 02:56 PM
The only MTMTE issue which I am missing is number 3. I have all the others.

Its not worth buying the whole TPB just for one issue.

Paulbot
8th October 2008, 03:42 PM
The only MTMTE issue which I am missing is number 3. I have all the others.

Its not worth buying the whole TPB just for one issue.

I have all eight issues, but I am quite happy that I bought the TPB as it's nice to be able to flick through 160 pages of TF goodness, and I'll buy vol 2 as well. (I would also buy on top of these books that oversized hardcover collection of all eight issues if they ever make it..) That said, some pages from Issue 3 have been reprinted poorly in this collection (at least in my copy) and look like reproduced scans so if that's the one you're missing perhaps it's not worth it for you.

Edit: It's over 200 pages, not 160 (the original issues were 64 pages not 48 - dodgy memory). And the poor quality pages are actually from issue 2 not issue 3 (Frenzy and Fortress Maximus as examples in my copy).

STL
8th October 2008, 10:55 PM
I'll be very happy to have a spare set too. I've got the original ones but am always reluctant to go through it so much b/c of the wear and tear. Now I can just rip into it. :D