PDA

View Full Version : Prototype Masterpiece Inferno

High_Q
7th May 2016, 12:22 PM
Here (http://tformers.com/first-look-masterpiece-inferno-prototype-on-display/29111/news.html) are some pictures of a prototype of what could be an official MP Inferno.

doublespy
7th May 2016, 01:03 PM
Looks great.
I'm now a little concerned that the current Masterpiece has gone from a mixed cartoon/toy aesthetics to the recent "plain cartoon accurate" trend, where big chunks of surfaces are left with very little sculpted detail. I actually really like this new aesthetic but if you stand MP Prime next to Shockwave, they don't quite look like they belong together

Mythirax
7th May 2016, 02:48 PM
Looks great.
I'm now a little concerned that the current Masterpiece has gone from a mixed cartoon/toy aesthetics to the recent "plain cartoon accurate" trend, where big chunks of surfaces are left with very little sculpted detail. I actually really like this new aesthetic but if you stand MP Prime next to Shockwave, they don't quite look like they belong together

That's why I've held off buying a lot of the newer MP's. They do look great, but something just looks off to not make them match the older ones.

nsm034
7th May 2016, 02:54 PM
Bring back MP01 style, still my favourite masterpiece to date

DaptoDog
7th May 2016, 03:00 PM
Looks great.

This prototype looks pretty spectacular to me. No Ironhide like waist kibble. I agree that the legs share the same simplistic look as Ironhide/Ratchet but the rest of it looks a lot more detailed. The head sculpt in particular is most impressive.

Jazzman
7th May 2016, 03:09 PM
Looks great.

Just wait for MP-10+ :D

Kranix
7th May 2016, 04:32 PM
MP Inferno looks brilliant to me, looking forward to this guy.

M-bot
7th May 2016, 05:46 PM
I'm liking it! I think they manage to balance the truck details and cartoon simplicity quite well.

FruitBuyer
7th May 2016, 06:36 PM
Looks great.

Well it's not that surprising given Takara's raging erection for the original cartoon.

Omega Metro
7th May 2016, 07:01 PM
That looks really good.

DELTAprime
7th May 2016, 08:20 PM
Hope I can order him soon from HLJ.

Trent
7th May 2016, 08:59 PM
He has no thighs.

That's my only criticism.

kurdt_the_goat
7th May 2016, 10:28 PM
At first glance, he looked a little thick... but comparing with the cartoon, he pretty much looks spot on except thankfully better in waist design. Compared to his "competition", takes almost no liberties with the source material (click for larger):

http://i.imgur.com/eH3J8w9l.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/eH3J8w9.jpg)

Which is personally to my taste :) Makes you wonder if the reason TT has doubled down on cartoon accuracy is because the others are taking more inspiration from the toys? He is fairly clearly differentiated from the others. Seems his ladder is quite well collapsed too!

drifand
7th May 2016, 10:39 PM
Bring back MP01 style, still my favourite masterpiece to date

You mean the only actual masterpiece that is truely worthy being called a masterpiece. Yup I agree.

Jazzman
7th May 2016, 10:41 PM
At first glance, he looked a little thick... but comparing with the cartoon, he pretty much looks spot on except thankfully better in waist design. Compared to his "competition", takes almost no liberties with the source material (click for larger):

http://i.imgur.com/eH3J8w9l.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/eH3J8w9.jpg)

Which is personally to my taste :) Makes you wonder if the reason TT has doubled down on cartoon accuracy is because the others are taking more inspiration from the toys? He is fairly clearly differentiated from the others. Seems his ladder is quite well collapsed too!

The head sculpt seems to be G1 toy accurate, rather than toon accurate...

kurdt_the_goat
7th May 2016, 10:46 PM
I thought so too (realised after i posted!)... but then I searched on Google... he seems to have the other ears (like the MP) in some cartoon shots as well, so i'm not sure!

drifand
7th May 2016, 10:56 PM
Maketoys one is far off, I think I will buy this but not open it.

kurdt_the_goat
7th May 2016, 11:00 PM
Yeap is pretty easy to spot the likeness. For proof, i asked my wife which was official (not showing logos) ... and she said right away "Not that one" to the Maketoys, then soon after, decided on the official one :p

Robzy
7th May 2016, 11:27 PM
Looks fantastic

kurdt_the_goat
7th May 2016, 11:35 PM
Still find it a little odd they went with Inferno so soon after Ironhide.
At a glance they're very similar looking thanks to the chest windscreen and colours. If they wanted to do this mould, perhaps they should have done Grapple first.

Magnus
8th May 2016, 01:45 AM
Looks pretty good so far. I'm wondering if, like Shockwave, TakaraTOMY will include the option of a right hand.

I'm also wondering about height - to keep 'scale' with the other cars released thus far, I would imagine in robot mode Inferno would rival Optimus Prime, possibly even being a bit taller taking the top of his head into account.

At first glance, he looked a little thick... but comparing with the cartoon, he pretty much looks spot on except thankfully better in waist design. Compared to his "competition", takes almost no liberties with the source material...

I thought that getting as close to screen accuracy as possible was the point of the MP series, so this simpler design would be in keeping with that objective. Then again, I have no interest in third party products, so I have no idea how far ahead they are or if TakaraTOMY has seen their design choices and taken those into account.

The head sculpt seems to be G1 toy accurate, rather than toon accurate...

As kurdt pointed out, there are occasions when the toy-accurate head was seen on-screen, so maybe it depended on who was drawing Inferno at the time. Still, I wonder if there might even be two different faces once the official colour photos are released, like the ones on MP Bumblebee.

Other
8th May 2016, 02:05 AM
Maybe they went with the toy head so they could go animation head with Grapple and make the two more distinct? They might be thinking the two would be a bit too similar if they gave them both the same head

Jetfire in the sky
8th May 2016, 06:47 AM
I'm also wondering about height - to keep 'scale' with the other cars released thus far, I would imagine in robot mode Inferno would rival Optimus Prime, possibly even being a bit taller taking the top of his head into account.

I'm thinking he will be in a similar, if not the same sized box as Ironhide and possible a little taller.
This is such a great release but for me Grapple as a figure with a colour that will really add some pop to the shelf amongst all the red and white of the Autobots will be very exciting.

Bravo Takara Tomy once more. :)

Ralph Wiggum
8th May 2016, 08:24 AM
He looks as good as I'd hoped, though to be brutally blunt it was never going to be that hard to make Inferno work as his G1 toy was pretty close to spot on anyway. I'm more interested in articulation and whether there will be much partsforming.

Troubled Autobot
8th May 2016, 01:22 PM
Will this mean we'll get an Artfire MP??

MayzaPrime
8th May 2016, 04:09 PM
Will this mean we'll get an Artfire MP??

I would expect an Artfire and Roadhauler repaint :)

Jazzman
8th May 2016, 06:24 PM
I would expect an Artfire and Roadhauler repaint :)

A fluro green Roadhauler would be nice... :D

Jazzman
8th May 2016, 06:25 PM
As kurdt pointed out, there are occasions when the toy-accurate head was seen on-screen, so maybe it depended on who was drawing Inferno at the time. Still, I wonder if there might even be two different faces once the official colour photos are released, like the ones on MP Bumblebee.

My money is on the release having two faces. ;)

Lord_Zed
8th May 2016, 08:01 PM
Inferno is looking oh so cartoony, much like Ironhide and Shockwave. I like it, but also miss when MP's had all sort of cool details.

Looks great.

I think they work ok together, but there is definitely a style shift, while it seems some of the 3rd parties have continued on with the old MP style. If the cartoon accurate trend continues I wonder if we'll see a new official MP Prime in a few years that is more toon like? Tahtom just love to releases and re-release Convoy so I wouldn't put it past them.

Makes you wonder if the reason TT has doubled down on cartoon accuracy is because the others are taking more inspiration from the toys? He is fairly clearly differentiated from the others. Seems his ladder is quite well collapsed too!

I've been wondering that too, if there's one thing they should be able to do it's belt out as accurate as possible renditions of their characters. It does mean I may end up with multiple MP's of one chracter beyond Optimus and Rodimus though as I tend to like both toon and toy aspects. Take the recent MP Shockwave, I have him and Quakeblast. Shockwave is the better toy and MP G1 Shockwave, while Quakeblast is the better collectible and all round MP Shockwave. I don't think I'll part with either.

drifand
10th May 2016, 10:59 AM
I recon the MP line had no proper defination, no proper standard on what is supposed to be. While I respect G1 Toy looks, people do need to let it go and let it based on what the cartoon is as there are lots of mistakes in a G1 toy and colours. But thats me. Everytime a mp releases we get colour complains and is basically people are comparing to the G1 toy or screen accuracy.

Part of me, feels happy that I am not overly concern how MP inferno is as is not a vital piece in my collection. However, I am buying it just in case I miss the chance of owning a good mp.