PDA

View Full Version : Who is your favourite Dinobot?

GoktimusPrime
26th May 2016, 11:23 PM
As with the previous polls, we're just looking at toys from your childhood; which one was the one that you loved the most as a kid? And we're only looking at the original G1 Dinobots.

My favourite was (and is) Snarl. Aside from being my first* Dinobot, I love the mould and design, and I really love the canonical fact that his strength tenfolds in sunlight and he can still store solar energy after dark, maintaining a high level of super strength. So considering that his base Strength is 9, it means that on a sunny day it can reach up to 90! :eek: He's kinda like a Kryptonian -- his solar cells drink the energies of Earth's sun and powers him up, even when it's dark. Much like a Kryptonian, Snarl would need to go for an extended period of time without sunlight for him to lose this boosted power, but even then, he would drop down to his minimum Strength rating of 9, which is still really freakin' strong! (unlike a Kryptonian who I think would become substantially weakened).

---------------------------------------
*My G1 Grimlock was acquired on the same day, but initially belonged to my brother, so Snarl technically counts as my first Dinobot (even though we opened both at the same time ;))

CHILENO20
26th May 2016, 11:27 PM
Grimlock, first Dinobot I ever had :)

Bladestorm
26th May 2016, 11:44 PM
Whilst I didn't have him back in the 80's due to parental attitudes my favourite was G1 Grimlock.
I had to wait well over 25 years but he was the first dinobot I ever brought (admittedly for my son when he was 7) and the MP version is my sons absolute pride and joy as he LOVES cartoon G1 Grimlock the most out of all the Transformers.
IF I ever get the opportunity and can afford it I would love to get an original G1 Grimlock for my son to add to his collection one day... dreams are free right? ;)

drifand
27th May 2016, 11:06 AM
Is grimlock for me though I am agreeing to those who picked Snarl as he is nice too but most character development went to the Dinobot leader. I actually find swoop annoying sometimes.

BigTransformerTrev
27th May 2016, 11:08 AM
Grimlock overall but I like Snarls robot mode more than Grims.

This is one of those cases where I LOVE all 5 :D

DaptoDog
27th May 2016, 11:56 AM
Never owned any G1 Dinobots (if there was ever a reissue I would buy them in a heartbeat).

Voted Sludge because I love both his modes and always thought he was the dopiest (and therefore most endearing) of the Dinobots.

GoktimusPrime
27th May 2016, 12:01 PM
Never owned any G1 Dinobots (if there was ever a reissue I would buy them in a heartbeat).
Was your heart beating in 1991? ;) :p Although only Grimlock, Sludge and Snarl were reissued. The Slag mould was reused in 1993 for the G2 Dinobots. The Swoop mould has never been reissued or reused, which leads me to suspect that it must've been the first mould to be too far deteriorated for reuse (and then likely discarded). The fact that Swoop is also physically the weakest of the Dinobot toys also lends credence to this theory.

M-bot
27th May 2016, 12:25 PM
As a kid I thought Slag and Snarl were cool, but I never saw them in the 80's except in catalogues.

I had Grimlock, but my favourite was Sludge. I played with him until his joints were looser than an alley cat on heat. He was my favourite because of how I got him - saw him on the shelf at my local Toyworld but had to save up for weeks until I could afford him. I went into the shop and looked at him every week (I would've been about 8 or 9 at the time I think?), hoping each time I went that he wouldn't have been sold until I could afford it.

I have a vivid memory of finally getting the last dollar or so in pocket money that I needed and my dad making a special trip to the shop to buy him. I was so ridiculously excited. Bought him that day and loved him from then on. One of my favourite childhood toys, easily.:D

CHILENO20
27th May 2016, 12:39 PM
I played with him until his joints were looser than an alley cat on heat.

In tears!!!!! :D:D:D:D

janda the red
27th May 2016, 12:40 PM

Voted Sludge because I love both his modes and always thought he was the dopiest (and therefore most endearing) of the Dinobots.

but there are re-issues... just check ebay! ;) lol :p

snarl for me... :)

DELTAprime
27th May 2016, 01:29 PM
Does Dinobot count as a Dinobot?

Raider
27th May 2016, 02:22 PM
As a kid I loved my G2 Slag, mostly because of its colour. That is why Slag gets my vote. Grimlock always looked faded (too well played with I guess) and I broke one side of Snarl's face off so they don't get my vote. Always wanted Swoop as a kid but never got my hands on him until recently. He would come in a close second.

GoktimusPrime
27th May 2016, 03:57 PM
Does Dinobot count as a Dinobot?
No, because...

And we're only looking at the original G1 Dinobots.

DaptoDog
27th May 2016, 04:45 PM
Was your heart beating in 1991? ;) :p Although only Grimlock, Sludge and Snarl were reissued. The Slag mould was reused in 1993 for the G2 Dinobots. The Swoop mould has never been reissued or reused, which leads me to suspect that it must've been the first mould to be too far deteriorated for reuse (and then likely discarded). The fact that Swoop is also physically the weakest of the Dinobot toys also lends credence to this theory.

I remember very clearly getting the Classic Reissues of Jazz and Wheeljack on the same day at Kmart. But I never saw Dinobots anywhere in the Gong - trust me I would have begged my parents to buy me them! :)

but there are re-issues... just check ebay! ;) lol :p

Haha, nah I don't do KO. I have Masterpiece Grimlock so I look forward to Takara one day releasing the rest of them with a new Grimlock in the current scale.

UltraMarginal
27th May 2016, 04:58 PM
I had Grimlock, but my favourite was Sludge. I played with him until his joints were looser than an alley cat on heat.

In tears!!!!! :D:D:D:D

HAHA, ditto!

My favourite was Swoop, the first and only G1 dinobot I ever had. Apart from being the first, I really liked the pterodactyl, the idea that he could attack from the air!! I too played with him till a lot of his joints were pretty loose.
I eventually got Slag but in the G2 Green.

mknell
27th May 2016, 08:47 PM
Grimlock for sure and considering all the variations of him I have lol

GoktimusPrime
28th May 2016, 12:08 AM
AFAIK the reissues have never been counterfeited. So...
Reissue Grimlock (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-G1-Classics-Grimlock-European-Exclusive-Box-Great-/191757353377?hash=item2ca5a101a1:g:UncAAOSw8-tWaeZY)
Reissue Sludge (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sludge-Classics-100-Complete-Dinobot-G1-Europe-Transformers-/282044661314?hash=item41ab2bfe42:g:ssMAAOSwhQ5XP81 H)
Reissue Snarl (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transformers-G1-Classics-Snarl-European-Exclusive-Box-/201482465294?hash=item2ee94a700e:g:ivEAAOSwbdpWaeL V)

klystron
28th May 2016, 12:54 AM
Swoop was my most loved G1 toy as a kid (which I still have).
I was "Team Blaster" during the leadership debacle of the 80's comics, so was not a huge fan of Grimlock (the character). A friend had the toy, which I thought was pretty spiffy, but I couldn't get past him wanting to kill Blaster.

Nowadays tho, I'd probably lean a little more towards Slag.

Tetsuwan Convoy
31st May 2016, 04:02 PM
Snarl for me. I didn't have G1 Dinobots, but picked up the red released of Snarl.
Oh man, that colour combo, the red chest with the awesomely shiny golden stegosaurus tail splayed across his back,

Such a Majestic beast!

Bidoofdude
31st May 2016, 11:38 PM
Never had any Dinobots, but Slag is my favourite Transformer overall (and perhaps Thundercracker). I love Triceratops, especially robot ones. His Foc redesign was nice too, my favourite of the lot.

5FDP
1st June 2016, 10:22 AM
I'd have to vote Grimlock first, Sludge second.

VERT
1st June 2016, 05:48 PM
Sludge for me. Mostly cause he was my first Dinobot

Gofigure
3rd June 2016, 10:34 PM
Snarl. Why? He's a stegosaurus. And they are the best.

Seraphim Prime
6th June 2016, 11:27 AM
Sludge - as a kid I loved the Brontosaurus, so when my Godmother got me a Transformer for Christmas one year, it was of course going to be Sludge.

His sweet, but simple nature in the cartoon was also a big plus. I think the second favourite was Swoop, because I loved that one episode where Swoop got stuck on Cybertron with Spike and Carly and had to protect them as they escaped back to Earth.

GoktimusPrime
6th June 2016, 12:37 PM
Yeah, personality-wise Swoop was my favourite in the G1 cartoon. Initially for the same reasons you mentioned, but by the time I started high school, I began to appreciate G1 comic Swoop for entirely different reasons (i.e. tortured past). Sludge was my second favourite. He was also a real softy in the comics where he even fell in love with a human woman, although the feeling wasn't mutual. Come to think of it, Powerglide seems to be the only Cybertronian to have ever entered a mutual romantic relationship with a human (or any non-Cybertronian). Skids' relationship with Charlene was really more deeply platonic (i.e. they were more Conjunx Amica rather than Conjunx Endurata). But persona-wise, G1 comic Grimlock is by far my favourite... thanks in no small part to the fact that Grimlock happened to be Simon Furman's favourite Transformer and consequently he was the most well developed character among the Dinobots. :)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Photocomic%20Faith/photocomic_faith16.jpg
Being so anti-social, Snarl was my least favourite Dinobot as far as personality goes. But toy-wise, Snarl's my favourite, hence why he got my vote for this poll (as it only focuses on the toys). :)

Magnus
6th June 2016, 10:03 PM
Character-wise, it would be a tie between Grimlock and Slag, but since this is a toy poll, I voted Grimlock.

I had the gold-boxed Classic reissues of Grimlock, Sludge and Snarl from the early '90s. Slag, being my favourite Dinobot (because Triceratops) was 'missing,' so I jumped at the chance to get a G2 Slag. He was green, so he didn't quite fit in with the others, but I didn't care.

PROVOST
8th June 2016, 04:11 PM
Grimlock

Lord_Zed
8th June 2016, 04:38 PM
This one's easy unlike the other poll. Grimlock.

Like Goktimus and others I got Snarl first and Stegosaurus are cool, but then some months later I got Grimlock who even before reading the comics impressed me even more, not just because he was a T-rex but because his robot mode was also so cool looking, and even the art on his box which I can still remember was one of my favourites. Actually I don't even recall getting Snarl anymore, but I know I got him first.

Snarl is always my second favourite Dinobot.

Speaking of Snarl and Grimlock it's kinda funny that the Dinobots are actually made up of dinosaur species that existed millions of years apart from each other, it's more aproblem for the comic continuty though as the Ark must have spent a long time scanning dino modes for them.

GoktimusPrime
8th June 2016, 07:36 PM
I got Grimlock and Snarl at the same time; Snarl was mine and Grimlock was originally my brother's, so I count Snarl as my first Dinobot. But naturally we both opened our Dinobots at the same time and played with them together, so in practicality I did get both Dinobots at the same time, playing with Grimlock a few minutes after Snarl. It's kinda like having twins, same birthday but one came before the other. :p

Speaking of Snarl and Grimlock it's kinda funny that the Dinobots are actually made up of dinosaur species that existed millions of years apart from each other, it's more aproblem for the comic continuty though as the Ark must have spent a long time scanning dino modes for them.
Or in Sludge's case, a dinosaur species which never existed at all. :p Not a problem for the comic continuity though because the Ark scanned their dinosaur modes from the Savage Land (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Land), which is a fictitious place from the Marvel Comics universe, so one could say that these different species did and still do co-exist there. And one could say that Brontosauruses may exist in the Savage Land but nowhere else on Earth. :) It's pretty cool that G1 writers (in both the comics and cartoon) wrote these plausible origins; because while we may not have understood it at the time, it's cool to look back and see that it still holds up under retrospective adult scrutiny. :cool: This is the "talking up to kids" mentality with G1 that Michael McConnohie (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Michael_McConnohie) remembers G1 fondly for.

Ozgardian
14th June 2016, 08:51 PM
[QUOTE= Come to think of it, Powerglide seems to be the only Cybertronian to have ever entered a mutual romantic relationship with a human (or any non-Cybertronian). [/QUOTE]

What about Daniel & Arcee? (Rebirth) ((& pls, no bonding jokes! ...lol:rolleyes:). I voted Snarl as I always admired the stegosaurus & he just looked awesome with those solar spikes on his back, GOLD!:D

GoktimusPrime
14th June 2016, 09:10 PM
What about Daniel & Arcee? (Rebirth)
Gender-reversed KISS Play'd! :eek:

Sinnertwin
15th June 2016, 09:02 AM
Although I did get Grimlock first, Snarl will always be my favourite.