PDA

View Full Version : IDW Revolution, Hasbro Titles Crossover

SMHFConvoy
2nd June 2016, 06:46 AM
So ROM, GI Joe, Transformers, MTMTE, MASK and whatever are having a crossover (except MLP) and when the dust settles... (http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/06/01/transformers-hasbro-characters-join-together-idws-revolution-316348)

All the titles will relanch with issue 1. Article doesn't go into specifics but it looks like it'll be shared universe and a, "new direction." :(:(:(:(:(

i_amtrunks
2nd June 2016, 08:25 AM
No thanks IDW and Hasbro. RiD has been suffering a bit more than needed to fit in the Hasbro toy tie ins and this will not help in the slightest.

Wonder if the new #1 will be rebranded? I still call the Earth series RiD because it helps me maintain what is what in my mind, but a sub title other than transformers really is needed, especially with another movie on the way.

griffin
2nd June 2016, 08:30 AM
It explains the new convention direction... as this shared universe (movies and now comics) woukd be the theme of their new conventions as it will be like a MCU convention. A shame that they had to sacrifice BotCon, Joecon and the existing IDW comics for this new grand vision.

CBratron
2nd June 2016, 09:55 AM
Their Hub channel didn't work.
I hope this fares better.

bassbot
2nd June 2016, 10:10 AM
Argh... there is something so grand about watching MTMTE and Ex-RiD go past #40, #50...
so now we won't get one with #60, etc. We may well get that many comics... but it feels like a death knell for the current creative vision.

SMHFConvoy
2nd June 2016, 10:44 AM
Bassvot they could always go back to the original numbering like marvel does

Ploughmans Lunch
2nd June 2016, 10:55 AM
Whatever I might think about how IDW's Transformers is going now, it's hard to argue that there was a lot of creative freedoms given to something that exists primarily to sell toys/IP, and this has lead to the creation of something special.

Hasbro's rush to emulate Marvel and it's shared universe approach will, I hope, be seen as the repugnant marketing attempt that it is and will be rejected by people, leading to further autonomy between titles.

That being said this could be the best thing that could ever happen but, well, the cynic in me has it's doubts.

griffin
2nd June 2016, 11:41 AM
It's certainly been a catch 22 with Transformers. It was almost cancelled a couple of times around the 90s and we wanted it to be popular enough to get fan focussed products, but now that we have that Hasbro are wanting to try to get their other brands in on the act and hope that the billion dollar success of TFs rubs off... sacrificing the independence of the bigger brands like ours.

UltraMarginal
2nd June 2016, 01:36 PM
In the Interview, Chris Ryall ..

Ryall:

How do the other Transformers books play in (MTMTE, TAAO), renumbered? ending? untouched?
We'll get into more specifics soon but some will end and restart differently; TAAO will keep rolling as is.

It won't affect Titan Wars. We've been threading this needle very carefully for some time know, building to this.

MTMTE untouched?
Rather, you can assume that any involvement will make sense to that series and not change what James has built.

OK now I'm panicking. Restarting MTMTE is just about the craziest thing to do to a book with such a hardcore fandom.
I understand the trepidation but we're not abandoning plans, characters or stories. Just moving things forward.

Not a reboot in any way, shape or form, actually. All the stories you read here before still happened.

We'll get into new-title specifics & teams before long. If you like the way things are, you'll be happy. Only moreso

it's not quite all doom and gloom, but it really feels silly to be restructuring a winning comic series like MTMTE in any way.

does anyone know what TAAO stands for?

Ploughmans Lunch
2nd June 2016, 01:40 PM
does anyone know what TAAO stands for?

'Till All Are One. Their third attempt at a Windblade ongoing.

i_amtrunks
2nd June 2016, 01:50 PM
Could this aligned Hasblowniverse be set in the other time period where the Lost Light was obliterated by the DJD? That way it cannot have any effect on MtMtE at all? :D

I expect it will have more ramifications for the earth based series (whatever it gets titled) since thats where the other series are mostly based.

Hopefully we get to keep Kup this time around (since the last crossover event got rid of him for a looooong time.)

SMHFConvoy
2nd June 2016, 01:52 PM
Io9 elaborates on revolution (http://io9.gizmodo.com/idw-is-merging-gijoe-transformers-and-its-other-hasbr-1779841772)

Tbh mtmte has felt like it was reaching it's logical conclusion, Roberts has always maintained that he had 50+ issues planned.

Change isn't a bad thing.

Ploughmans Lunch
2nd June 2016, 02:16 PM
Could this aligned Hasblowniverse be set in the other time period where the Lost Light was obliterated by the DJD? That way it cannot have any effect on MtMtE at all?

It wasn't another universe tho, it was literally a duplicate that got murdered? Remind me if I'm wrong tho.

Zommael
2nd June 2016, 02:58 PM
It wasn't another universe tho, it was literally a duplicate that got murdered? Remind me if I'm wrong tho.

No, that's correct. The only alternate universe in MTMTE so far is the functionist universe. It'd be crazy to set their new universe in that world! :eek:

UltraMarginal
2nd June 2016, 03:41 PM
'Till All Are One. Their third attempt at a Windblade ongoing.

Cheers, now I get it.

I think I heard somewhere that Roberts was planning on taking MTMTE to #100.

SMHFConvoy
2nd June 2016, 06:24 PM
I think I heard somewhere that Roberts was planning on taking MTMTE to #100.

Certainly feels like it's winding down.

I always thought that the book's (mtmte) cast was going to rotate. Revolution must pull some sort of streamlining to allow the various toy lines to be aware of each other, I'm betting that All Hail Megatron gets cut or retconned in a heavy way.

Paulbot
2nd June 2016, 07:53 PM
MTMTE feels like it is winding down because it is - it's the end of the second season and its wrapping up stories before the next crossover and the third season starts. Same as it did at the end of the first season - bringing back characters, resolving some of the mysteries and plots, coming to some closure. It's all part of the plan

griffin
29th June 2016, 03:06 PM
From the recent issue of Previews comes a 5 month timeline (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/1073829-idw-revolution-entire-checklist.html) (July to November) of IDW's comic issues for their new Revolution comic universe, including Transformers, which kicks off in September.

The comics on this timeline that are coming together for this Revolution crossover event are Transformers, Rom, MASK, Micronauts, GIJoe and Action Man.

Each series has its own Revolution titled comic between September and November, plus a 5 issue Revolution crossover comic mini-series (2 issues in September and October, and 1 issue in November).

griffin
21st September 2016, 06:34 AM
Revolution is now here... the next chapter for IDW's Transformers (and more broadly, Hasbro's combined marketing of their boys toy properties), starts this week at comic stores with the first issue of the new crossover comic... and a preview can be seen here (http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/09/19/idw-revolution-1-first-five-pages-325049).

SMHFConvoy
21st September 2016, 09:01 PM
Wasn't too bad for a set up issue, the art is pretty good.

philby
3rd October 2016, 06:07 PM
so how is this working? i saw on the comixology app that a few issues are out for the different series.

there is a revolution 'prelude' which is free.
then 'revolution #1'
plus transformers revolution #1,then ROM revolution #1, mask revolution #1 etc.

what is the reading order? is it going something like transformers, then rom, then mask, then transformers, then rom, then mask etc? I probably sound a bit dumb here but are the different series self contained but things are impacting and referencing the other series? or is it one story but spread over individual issues in the separate series? how does it work :confused: i don't necessarily want to start buying 5 new comic series just to keep up with the transformers universe. or is that the point....

CBratron
3rd October 2016, 07:21 PM
Been reading the Road to Revolution lead-ins but haven't seen the revolution #1's yet. I think I'll stick with it. And just for reference, I couldn't stomach the recent Transformers/GIJoe crossover.

Paulbot
3rd October 2016, 08:35 PM
so how is this working? i saw on the comixology app that a few issues are out for the different series.

there is a revolution 'prelude' which is free.
then 'revolution #1'
plus transformers revolution #1,then ROM revolution #1, mask revolution #1 etc.

what is the reading order? is it going something like transformers, then rom, then mask, then transformers, then rom, then mask etc? I probably sound a bit dumb here but are the different series self contained but things are impacting and referencing the other series? or is it one story but spread over individual issues in the separate series? how does it work :confused: i don't necessarily want to start buying 5 new comic series just to keep up with the transformers universe. or is that the point....

There's a checklist / reading order on the IDW website (and in the comics)

http://www.idwpublishing.com/revolution/

Once the last part of the Revolution crossover is out, then the two new TF ongoings (Lost Light previously MTMTE, and Optimsu Prime, previously exRID) begin.

For me, I'm happily skipping everything in the crossover except the MTMTE issue.

philby
3rd October 2016, 10:41 PM
that's kinda what prompted my question. if i get 'transformers till all are one revolution #1' there are 7 various issues before it from different series, so is it continuing the same story from those other 7 or are they stand-alone? meh.

Paulbot
4th October 2016, 08:13 AM
From what I've seen the various #1 issues seem standalone. The MASK one an origin story for example.

SMHFConvoy
4th October 2016, 06:40 PM
so how is this working? i saw on the comixology app that a few issues are out for the different series

It wasn't too bad, the art is really something and now a team title will spin out of this featuring Kup, Blackrock and other characters from other books.

It's a shame that Jem and the Holograms isn't part of this expanded universe.