PDA

View Full Version : Premium packaging option for PC orders?

DaptoDog
13th July 2016, 08:44 AM
So as discussed at length in the Premium Collectables (PC) dealer thread, myself and some others here have expressed interest in PC offering an option to upgrade the quality of packaging on orders.

I think we can all agree that PC's pricing is excellent and usually cheaper than importing from Asia or the US. While I have been increasing my ordering from PC, their packaging has held me back from giving them 100% of my business.

For my orders PC has simply employed packing paper to provide some level of protection to the item while in transit. This can be insufficient and a few of my orders from PC have arrived with corner damage and other dents. Robot Kingdom employs both bubblewrap and styrofoam as standard for example. At a minimum most of PC's international competitors employ bubblewrap. BBTS offers a premium option that gives the best boxes and higher level of packaging.

To some who just want the figure inside this is not necessary. But for others like myself who either collect mostly MISB or at least want to keep the box in good condition after opening I think this would be a great value add by PC. And they could charge a fee that would provide them with incremental profit margin.

So would you like an option to upgrade packaging for a fee on PC orders?

If you have any other useful comments or suggestions then please reply to this thread.

The objective of this poll is to share the results with PC so that they may hopefully consider providing a premium packaging option.

Thanks for your input. :)

DaptoDog
13th July 2016, 09:13 AM
I can't correct the grammer in the poll options so please note the No option should read:

"No this is not an option I would use."

GoktimusPrime
13th July 2016, 09:25 AM
My TF packaging are destined for the recycling bin, so I voted "No." Even when trying to give boxes away (including a lot of Japanese boxes), I was unable to offload everything and a lot of it had to be discarded in the end.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/trash_zpsorhgux1p.jpg
↑Most of those boxes were full of unwanted Transformers packaging, much of which were Japanese, including exclusive lines.

Arctorro
13th July 2016, 11:24 AM
I only keep MP and 3P MP boxes.

I haven't voted because I don't agree with the 2 options. PC should be using bubble wrap with EVERY order. Sure, have a small fee for better boxes and additional bubble wrap, but standard orders should have some measure of protection.

This is just 1 of the reasons international sellers are still getting most of my money.

Borgeman
13th July 2016, 11:54 AM
I don't understand the perception that bubble wrap is something that SHOULD be used. Since when? They're a local online retailer bringing in toys at a super competitive price, with free shipping on most purchases. The fact that they are already decently packed says a lot for how well they've set themselves up. As a comparison another of the online retailers stated that to minimise costs they would reuse packaging - to the point where they basically wrapped cardboard around your order, taped it up and voila, a "box".

Perhaps they could offer an option like BBTS where you pay a bit more for a better handling service, but they already have that express/jump the queue postage service option - maybe that service already incorporates superior packing (has anyone used it before?). But if they don't want to, that their call. As mentioned many international stores have better packing, but you will comfortably pay more for the product. That's the trade off.

drifand
13th July 2016, 11:57 AM
I only keep MP and 3P MP boxes.

I haven't voted because I don't agree with the 2 options. PC should be using bubble wrap with EVERY order. Sure, have a small fee for better boxes and additional bubble wrap, but standard orders should have some measure of protection.

This is just 1 of the reasons international sellers are still getting most of my money.

I disagree, I am happy with what I am getting and I should not be paying extra for the service. A lot of online stores also pack as what PC does and hence the cost is reduced.

The amount of protection I have for all my PC orders are good enough and I understand misb collectors needing the extra but at a cost of their own expense.

Again do not spoil it for others who have been happy with low prices.

millhouse
13th July 2016, 12:00 PM
I disagree, I am happy with what I am getting and I should not be paying extra for the service. A lot of online stores also pack as what PC does and hence the cost is reduced.

The amount of protection I have for all my PC orders are good enough and I understand misb collectors needing the extra but at a cost of their own expense.

Again do not spoil it for others who have been happy with low prices.

I'm completely at the opposite side of it. Any time you purchase anything, it should arrive in the condition it was sent in. Obviously, postage and couriers will at times damage parcels but for the most part, with a little effort on the seller's end, this can be sorted by packing appropriately.

You are buying a product and that product should arrive as it was sent.

drifand
13th July 2016, 12:05 PM
I'm completely at the opposite side of it. Any time you purchase anything, it should arrive in the condition it was sent in. Obviously, postage and couriers will at times damage parcels but for the most part, with a little effort on the seller's end, this can be sorted by packing appropriately.

All my orders arrived as it was sent, so hence my disagreement here.

If you want more protection, by all means.

This is a free shipping above $100 so hence I am happy with this set up.
None of my items from PC came badly damaged even in terms of boxes.

To proof a point millhouse, not many people are willing to buy inferno mp at over $200 just to have a perfect box. Many places sell below with sufficient package protection whether from amiami, ny hlj or PC.

DaptoDog
13th July 2016, 12:20 PM
Look for those saying that this should be standard I take your point but I feel that having it as an added cost option is the most pragmatic approach. That way those that are not conerned with the current set up continue to enjoy low prices without blaming us fussier collectors for driving up the pricing for everyone.

On this basis I would encourage those wanting better packaging to vote YES rather than abstaining. I think you would find that even if the option adds as much as $10 to the total cost, PC are still cheaper than competitors for MP's etc.

DaptoDog
13th July 2016, 12:28 PM
To proof a point millhouse, not many people are willing to buy inferno mp at over $200 just to have a perfect box. Many places sell below with sufficient package protection whether from amiami, ny hlj or PC.

I can't speak for AmiAmi or HLJ because I've not ordered from them. But I have ordered many items from NY and they have all come with bubblewrap. Not one has come damaged.

Honestly if there is not enough interest I'll be happy to continue ordering from Japan for most of my MP purchases. No harm done.

Borgeman
13th July 2016, 12:31 PM

You realise that the "product" in this case is the toy inside the packaging - the box/plastic bubble insert/foam is there to protect the contents.
The toys don't come bubble wrapped from Hasbro/Takara, hell they aren't padded at all usually. So PC are already ahead of the OEM's when it comes to packing the goods.

Just because some buyers place a value on the toy's packaging doesn't automatically make it the rule.

laproblematique
13th July 2016, 12:31 PM
Look for those saying that this should be standard I take your point but I feel that having it as an added cost option is the most pragmatic approach. That way those that are not conerned with the current set up continue to enjoy low prices without blaming us fussier collectors for driving up the pricing for everyone.

On this basis I would encourage those wanting better packaging to vote YES rather than abstaining. I think you would find that even if the option adds as much as $10 to the total cost, PC are still cheaper than competitors for MP's etc.

To be honest I think you should have added a third option e.g. Not relevant to my interests, to prevent those that are not interested from reducing the likelihood of the option from being introduced.

It seems like many are operating on the assumption that they'd have to be paying extra for a service that many don't want.

Borgeman
13th July 2016, 12:39 PM
Honestly if there is not enough interest I'll be happy to continue ordering from Japan for most of my MP purchases. No harm done.

And that's exactly where some people miss the boat. They expect a level of service to be the standard, when it isn't essential. Different retailers have different setups - so long as those setups don't drop below a baseline (worn out cardboard, box too small for the contents) then that's a satisfactory baseline.

If a person wants more than the base level of shipping service, whether it's extra/better packing material, or a faster postal service, then you will go to a retailer that offers it and pay for that service.

millhouse
13th July 2016, 12:54 PM
I've had one package arrive from PC (with a few more to come). I don't recall any issue with the packaging. That said, it's the seller's responsibility to pack accordingly and if that isn't done (to a reasonable standard), then there is an issue. I don't believe that is the case with PC (although your mileage might vary beyond my sample size of one parcel destined to be ripped open).

I don't care about bubble wrap. If you want extremely well packaged parcels, it could well be worth an extra fee.

All I'm saying is that parcels should arrive in the condition they left the sender in. If that's not happening to a significant amount of people (besides the nature of some parcels where people clearly don't give a f*** in delivering them), then there are issues.

As I said, based on my personal experience, that hasn't been the case and I have no issue with PC - but I haven't received enough orders (that I've taken note of) to comment beyond the broader stance.

ZoonMaster5000
13th July 2016, 03:03 PM
I have voted yes, really how hard is it to wrap a box in bubble wrap at the buyers request (for a fee) just to give you that extra piece of mind that your particular purchase is going to arrive in the best condition possible.

Pc's packing paper is simply there to stop the box/boxes from moving around inside. Whilst this helps reduce damage it doesn't protect it from we'll say accidentals like box crushing or dropping.

I've started making purchases elsewhere in the last 12 months and of the 4 other online retailers everything has turned up well packaged and in perfect condition.

Pc put up a jump the queue for all the haters who want their 2nd/3rd item first so why can't their be an option for some extra protection on an item.

GoktimusPrime
13th July 2016, 03:46 PM
As someone who makes my fair share of polls here, I would like to reinforce the fact that DaptoDog cannot edit the poll. So whinging about, "It should have such and such an option" is pretty much like crying over spilt milk. Perhaps just vote for the nearest match for your preference then post a reply to clarify yourself.

drifand
13th July 2016, 04:31 PM
And that's exactly where some people miss the boat. They expect a level of service to be the standard, when it isn't essential. Different retailers have different setups - so long as those setups don't drop below a baseline (worn out cardboard, box too small for the contents) then that's a satisfactory baseline.

If a person wants more than the base level of shipping service, whether it's extra/better packing material, or a faster postal service, then you will go to a retailer that offers it and pay for that service.

I think you summed it up, I don't think PC had dropped below its acceptable level and I am okay if PC want to implement an "extra protection " service option at buyers expense.

I can honestly say if PC had done a very bad job, I would have have complained.
But from a misb collector view I understand if they want this option.

Megatran
13th July 2016, 05:41 PM
My TF packaging are destined for the recycling bin, so I voted "No." Even when trying to give boxes away (including a lot of Japanese boxes), I was unable to offload everything and a lot of it had to be discarded in the end.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/trash_zpsorhgux1p.jpg
↑Most of those boxes were full of unwanted Transformers packaging, much of which were Japanese, including exclusive lines.
OMG, you threw the baby TF boxes out with the bath tub. :p

philby
14th July 2016, 07:04 PM
i'm not a MISB person so my boxes either get thrown out or are sitting in the garage not being thrown out because I don't know why yet. I'm not going to vote but I can't really see an issue as customers if there is a separate paid option for better care or something. Doesn't tfsource or one of those sites usually have a 'collectors grade packaging' option? One thing to keep in mind is that they still seem to be a small business, so it might not be a viable option for them to spend more money and time packing some orders differently than others. I still can't get over the stink some people put up about waiting longer for items to take more time getting over here on a boat or something and PC having to make changes because of that. I definitely don't want to be forced to pay more or have things changed negatively for something I don't really care too much about.

MayzaPrime
15th July 2016, 11:31 AM
i'm not a MISB person so my boxes either get thrown out or are sitting in the garage not being thrown out because I don't know why yet. I'm not going to vote but I can't really see an issue as customers if there is a separate paid option for better care or something. Doesn't tfsource or one of those sites usually have a 'collectors grade packaging' option? One thing to keep in mind is that they still seem to be a small business, so it might not be a viable option for them to spend more money and time packing some orders differently than others. I still can't get over the stink some people put up about waiting longer for items to take more time getting over here on a boat or something and PC having to make changes because of that. I definitely don't want to be forced to pay more or have things changed negatively for something I don't really care too much about.

Have to agree, I am also getting tired of people constantly whinging about postage from PC. I for one am happy to wait if it means lower prices.

GoktimusPrime
15th July 2016, 01:18 PM
I'm not going to vote but I can't really see an issue as customers if there is a separate paid option for better care or something.
To be fair, the poll isn't asking if you agree or disagree with this idea, but simply if it's an option you would use or not. So I think that it'd still be worth voting on. :)

DarkHyren
16th July 2016, 11:11 PM
I voted yes, there should at least be the option to have "collectors grade" packaging available.
For the most part I've had very few problems with PCs deliveries, though there was one instance where a deluxe was semi crushed, which could have been avoided with bubble wrap or better yet a styrofoam shell inside the box.
The toy itself was undamaged fortunately, but I've also seen a situation where a customer got their order of a MP Shockwave I think it was, and it was as flat as a pancake. Yes, most definitely the delivery persons fault, but this could have perhaps been avoided with the option to have collectors packaging.
I understand the people who have a problem with this because they have never needed such a service, but that's why it should be an optional service, so that it doesn't affect those that don't want it, and those that do want it can be happy too

DaptoDog
20th July 2016, 12:26 PM
Thanks to everyone who has voted so far. I'll give this poll until this Friday and will then forward the results to PC.

DaptoDog
26th July 2016, 02:35 PM
I have emailed PC about this idea and the poll and will post any feedback received.

UltraMarginal
26th July 2016, 05:12 PM
I realise I'm late to the party, but I think PC already have exceptional packing.

All of my orders have arrived with crumpled butchers paper filling in any space and of late they have been using more, ensuring boxes don't move around.

my only criticism is that the paper is only on one side with the contents directly contacting the bottom of the box and ample space above filled with paper providing a buffer to the upper surface.

I would much prefer to see some packing underneath and some on top.
this has the effect of protecting the contents from sharp protrusions digging through the outside box. scrunched paper will also provide some assistance in resisting the outer box from being crushed. (look up column buckling theory)

A thin layer of bubblewrap is not actually very good protection. it's fine for absorbing broad impacts but will achieve nothing if something sharpish digs into the box. It also doesn't do much to stop boxes from moving around inside the parcel, unless it's filling the entire empty space (just like the butchers paper already does).

BBTS have a very cool bubble wrap that they use as an outer layer that they have gone budget on over time. but they still fill internal spaces with scrunched paper. and some other shops wrap the contents into a bundle and glue the bundle to an extra layer of card at the bottom of the box, not a bad solution but leaves a lot of crushable space.

on the environmental side of things, the paper is a renewable resource, bio-degradable and probably made from partially recycled materials. bubble wrap doesn't go away.

Anyway, that's my 2c, I like what they're doing already but it could use some finessing.

DaptoDog
24th August 2016, 04:28 PM
Quick update. I emailed PC about this poll and suggestion a month ago. I did receive an initial email from customer service saying that it had been forwarded to management but have not heard anything further. Doesn't look like it has gone anywhere but will post back here if I hear anything further.

drifand
24th August 2016, 04:49 PM
Quick update. I emailed PC about this poll and suggestion a month ago. I did receive an initial email from customer service saying that it had been forwarded to management but have not heard anything further. Doesn't look like it has gone anywhere but will post back here if I hear anything further.

Don't take it too hard, Scott has probably thought about it. I believe his issue would be charging more but not meeting the expectations vs current acceptable delivery.

I just gotten two of my destroids monsters from them, and I felt it was well packed.