http://www.traileraddict.com/trailer/dragonball/teaser-trailer
What do you think guys?

For me, it looks like a B grade movie:p

Gutsman Heavy
5th October 2008, 10:31 PM
"B" is a passing grade, more like "E"!

jacksplatt11
5th October 2008, 10:52 PM
yep, looks very poor.. but really, were we expecting anything else? i mean, a live action adaption of a cartoon/manga.. i know i didn't have high hopes..

what i would've liked to have, was a big budget dragon ball z animated film, kinda like how the simspons movie had the better animation etc compared to the series, given that it was a bigger budget, something like that with dragon ball z... but good :D

Borgeman
5th October 2008, 11:47 PM
lol...

will still be going to watch it though :D

George

Pulse
6th October 2008, 12:06 AM
"B" is a passing grade, more like "E"!

which equals "Straight to dvd" :D

k.wong23
6th October 2008, 12:42 AM
omg what the fu**??

Goku is way too old.

komikskolektor
6th October 2008, 07:22 AM
omg what the fu**??

Goku is way too old.
not only that!!!

HE's WHITE!!!!!!:):):):)

sifun
6th October 2008, 10:01 AM
He's white because then american caucasian kids can relate to him better.

Looks like its not going to be a good adaptation.
Should've stayed anime.

loophole
6th October 2008, 10:14 AM
okay im not that big of fan of dragonball z i only watched it up to the freezer saga when it was first on tv and never really looked any further into it but WTF?! it doesnt look anything like it, i see what they are trying to do but it just doesnt work as a DB movie.

Oh well i see another bomb coming on the way :p

blackie
6th October 2008, 10:34 AM
looks shocking, woundnt even rent it :P

Golden Phoenix
6th October 2008, 11:29 AM
So it's going to be one of 'those' films....
I hate how out of place Goku looks. He is like the only white person there. All I hope for is that Roshi is still the perverted old man he was in the series. That would be good

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2008, 12:52 PM
Goku is absolutely too old. And Chow Yun-Fat as the lecherous... wait, are they calling Kamesennin "Roshi"? Roshi (老師) just means "teacher" - he's more commonly referred to as "Kamesennin" (the turtle hermit) although his real name is probably "Muten." Gah.

He's white because then american caucasian kids can relate to him better.
...I thought that attitude died out in the 1960. Amos and Andy would be rolling in the graves! :p

autobreadticon
6th October 2008, 02:47 PM
YUMCHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they wrecked my childhood AGAIN!!

sifun
6th October 2008, 04:03 PM
yumcha looks so gangster. haha

roller
6th October 2008, 04:49 PM
ooooooooooooooooooooooh Mai looks good!

I swear Movie bumblebee 2008/9 is in this movie, you can see him in car mode

MV75
6th October 2008, 04:49 PM
Two words:

Street Fighter.

GoktimusPrime
6th October 2008, 05:32 PM
*shudder* That brought back bad memories...

They really should stop trying to make live action movies based on manga/animé...

"Hey kids! Mark Hamill's in this flick!" http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/c/000/77/41/20e0_8.JPG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBxfGj-p41w) "I'm not meant to be a Power Ranger!"
...can you believe they made a sequel? http://www.dvdanime.net/img_critiques/1341/mutronics.jpg

Pulse
6th October 2008, 05:34 PM
Hey! There will be no slagging of any movies with Van Damme 'round these parts... :D

Gutsman Heavy
6th October 2008, 08:00 PM
Apparently the Death Note live action films are good

jacksplatt11
6th October 2008, 08:15 PM
Apparently the Death Note live action films are good

i haven't seen them, but apparently they are pretty good yeah.. considering how many adaptions fail

lcz128
7th October 2008, 10:31 AM
Heh- I do want to watch it, even after seeing that. It will definitely be loltacular.

Don't think I'd pay to watch it in the movies though... :\
Heh. Anyone watch that old adaptation? It was asian and dubbed in canto I believe?

i_amtrunks
7th October 2008, 10:55 AM
I'll be dragged to this by my friends so they can watch me cry.

Piccolo not being green is probably the best example of this film being a waste of time. Piccolo now looks more like a Buffy styled Vampire (really he looks like Spike without hair) than the pure evil manifestation of a Namekian Warrior.

And if the rest of the cast is more or less Asian, then why not cast an Asian actor in the lead as well?

Effects look terrible too, sure, they aren't going for photo-realism, but they don't have to look cheap and tacky.

jacksplatt11
7th October 2008, 11:02 AM
Piccolo now looks more like a Buffy styled Vampire (really he looks like Spike without hair) than the pure evil manifestation of a Namekian Warrior.

haha well he is being played by spike, james masters i think his name is from memory.. but i agree, it's a weird thing to do when anyone who has had even the slightest contact with the dragon ball franchise knows that he is meant to be green :confused:

roller
7th October 2008, 11:07 AM
I hope these aren't the people who are making the live action Evangelion movie

wouldn't it be cool if Mao ze dong was in this?

i_amtrunks
7th October 2008, 11:33 AM
haha well he is being played by spike, james masters i think his name is from memory.. but i agree, it's a weird thing to do when anyone who has had even the slightest contact with the dragon ball franchise knows that he is meant to be green :confused:

It is indeed James Masters who has also appeared on Smallville as Brainiac, and Torchwood as Captain John Hart.

Did anyone here end up watching Forbidden Kingdom? Bar one fight scene, that film was terrible, and I think this will be the same.

One thing it looks like they may have gotten right is the focus of hand to hand combat that featured in Dragonball. It was only in Dragonball Z that things started going energy wave intensive (and that was largely thanks to blast happy Vegeta).

autobreadticon
7th October 2008, 01:16 PM
no powering up sequences and trash-talk of power levels = fail
disappointing the movie appears so serious. Thinking about it now ,it was corny which is why it was cool!

GoktimusPrime
7th October 2008, 10:34 PM
no powering up sequences and trash-talk of power levels = fail
Actually, the lack of powering-ups etc. is faithful to the original Dragonball. The whole Saiyajin thing never existed until Dragonball Z (that's pronounced Zed, not "Zee"*). Dragonball pre-dates all of it and is more about norti jokes rather than wanton violence... like Gokuu discovering the difference between boys and girls (mehehehehehehehe). ;)

*In the original animé it is pronounced "Dragonball Zed" (ドラゴンボール・ゼット), only the spasticated dub called it "Zee." True DB fans call it "Zed" ;)

i_amtrunks
8th October 2008, 10:36 AM
Actually, the lack of powering-ups etc. is faithful to the original Dragonball. The whole Saiyajin thing never existed until Dragonball Z (that's pronounced Zed, not "Zee"*). Dragonball pre-dates all of it and is more about norti jokes rather than wanton violence... like Gokuu discovering the difference between boys and girls (mehehehehehehehe). ;)

Ah Pat-Pat, so very funny yet disturbing at the same time.

I'd much prefer to have seen a younger Goku in the first Dragonball Movie (thinking Red Ribbon age). A live action retelling of the 10 year anniversary DB movie would not have been a bad place to start (where Eighter is given Kuririn's best friend to Goku status) if they were going to condense Dragonball. Follow it up with a Piccolo Daimao and Piccolo Junior arc and viola, Dragonball Trilogy done.

i_amtrunks
20th April 2009, 12:55 PM
Has anyone had the misfortune of seeing this steaming turd of a film?

I saw it last night, and almost walked out (would have but the ticket was part of a Chrissy present). It is 80 minutes of shoddy storytelling, terrible acting, poor cutting and illogical plotholes.

On another level it also has little in common with Dragonball, but I could tolerate it being vastly different from the cartoon, what I cannot stand is the quality of the actual film.

I'll skip the terrible acting and lacklustre directing, the fight scenes are abysmal, and the effects are very middle of the road. What really kills this film is that everyone does everything because the script tells them to, not because they actually need to.

There is one scene in particular where Goku has to learn the third phase of his air-bending training; the kamehameha (dont ask). It has already been stated twice in the film by his two mentors that Goku is not ready for stage 1 training, yet 3/4 of the way through the film, he is preparing for stage 3. He cant do it. Enter Chi-Chi, and all of a sudden Goku can do it bloody easy. For no other reason than because he has to know the skill for the final battle to go as scripted. (there is a very weak reason regarding him getting to walk closer to ChiChi with every step, but if you've seen the movie it is a moot point really).

There is an even better sample:the final 15 minutes of the film, but it might ruin the movie for any brave (or stupid) enough to want to see it, but the film really is a lesson in how not to make a film. Forget the subject matter, this film is an affront to all movie goers.

Gutsman Heavy
20th April 2009, 01:59 PM
meh, it was alright.

Golden Phoenix
20th April 2009, 06:08 PM
Has anyone had the misfortune of seeing this steaming turd of a film?

I saw it last night, and almost walked out (would have but the ticket was part of a Chrissy present). It is 80 minutes of shoddy storytelling, terrible acting, poor cutting and illogical plotholes.

On another level it also has little in common with Dragonball, but I could tolerate it being vastly different from the cartoon, what I cannot stand is the quality of the actual film.

I'll skip the terrible acting and lacklustre directing, the fight scenes are abysmal, and the effects are very middle of the road. What really kills this film is that everyone does everything because the script tells them to, not because they actually need to.

There is one scene in particular where Goku has to learn the third phase of his air-bending training; the kamehameha (dont ask). It has already been stated twice in the film by his two mentors that Goku is not ready for stage 1 training, yet 3/4 of the way through the film, he is preparing for stage 3. He cant do it. Enter Chi-Chi, and all of a sudden Goku can do it bloody easy. For no other reason than because he has to know the skill for the final battle to go as scripted. (there is a very weak reason regarding him getting to walk closer to ChiChi with every step, but if you've seen the movie it is a moot point really).

There is an even better sample:the final 15 minutes of the film, but it might ruin the movie for any brave (or stupid) enough to want to see it, but the film really is a lesson in how not to make a film. Forget the subject matter, this film is an affront to all movie goers.

I would kind of a agree with you, but I think it is worth watching, if only for the lols. It is pretty bad, but thats what makes it worth seeing.

It is like the Mario Borther movie. Has almost nothing to do with the games and is incredibly bad, but that makes it worth watching because you can laugh at how bad it is and all the attempts at a connection to the games.
The same can be said here.
I went into this film under the assumption it was going to be bad and I enjoyed it because of that

i_amtrunks
21st April 2009, 09:34 AM
I went into this film under the assumption it was going to be bad and I enjoyed it because of that

I think if I ever watch it again and tune out of the actual film-making errors that plague the film, I would probably enjoy the film for how bad it is. Just cannot get over all the script and filming issues!