PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying just two...

UltimateGalvatron
8th September 2016, 07:50 PM
I haven't bought any Transformers for a while and I'm thinking of caving into the Titans Returns goodness, but I only want one Decepticon and one Autobot.

I'm thinking Hardhead for the Autobot, and either Astrotrain or Galvatron for the Decepticon. I might also pick up the Titan Master heads cause they're cute.

Thoughts? Are these guys bad choices? What would you pick? Thanks

klystron
8th September 2016, 08:08 PM
I like to think of myself as a bit of selective collector, and (after skipping the meh of CW) have chosen Blurr as my Autobot, and Wolfwire as the con of the TR range.
Based solely on my own tastes, various reviews, and seeing Voyagers in store.

Personally I was quite underwhelmed by Galvatron, and dont think much his alt modes. Astrotrain bot mode looks good. Alt modes, not so much.
I think Hardhead seems a pretty solid choice tho!

Course, its all a bit subjective...

Krayt
8th September 2016, 08:08 PM
Perfect.... Until you mentioned The big G!

GoktimusPrime
8th September 2016, 08:09 PM
Hardhead's fantastic. Skullsmasher is the best Decepticon I've seen so far.

Paulbot
8th September 2016, 08:16 PM
If I was only going to buy two, I'd buy Blurr and Wolfwire, and Hardhead and Skullsmasher would be my second choices..

Galvatron and Astrotrain give you extra play value with their third modes so they aren't bad choices, particularly if you're not a fan of the beast modes

UltimateGalvatron
8th September 2016, 08:18 PM
Is Wolfwire the new Hasbro name for Weirdwolf? I haven't seen any reviews for him yet.

SharkyMcShark
8th September 2016, 09:09 PM
just quietly, Blurr > Hardhead.

DarkHyren
9th September 2016, 07:09 AM
Is Wolfwire the new Hasbro name for Weirdwolf? I haven't seen any reviews for him yet.It is, he's not out yet I think but I found a pictorial review here: http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/pictorial-review-for-transformers-titans-return-highbrow-and-wolfwire/36249/
From just pictures I prefer my Fansproject not-Weirdwolf, but Wolfwire is not without his charms and since he wont be too expensive I'll probably pick one up

liegeprime
9th September 2016, 07:41 AM
Well since it's just 2 from the line, if im reading it correctly. Why dont you get Fort Max and wait a bit coz there's going to be the upcoming Sixshot figure.

UltimateGalvatron
9th September 2016, 08:11 AM
Well since it's just 2 from the line, if im reading it correctly. Why dont you get Fort Max and wait a bit coz there's going to be the upcoming Sixshot figure.

Ohhh Sixshot sounds exciting... but I'm not too impressed with Fort Max, TBH. I like Cerebros, but other then that because of all the new TR Leaders having Base Modes, he is basically an oversized, more expensive Leader.

SharkyMcShark
9th September 2016, 11:49 AM
I should contextualise my Blurr > Hardhead comment.

Hardhead has an excellent play pattern within the remit of the Titans Return line. The way the minifigs interact with the larger robot is delightful. I especially love how they can man the main gun. However it does suffer from some of the drawbacks of the post 2011 figures - hollow limbs, slightly rickety feel.

Blurr, which also being a headmaster, is a much more straightforward deluxe figure. Paint aside (and I am aware that that's a killer for some people) he doesn't suffer from the same drawbacks. He's solid in both modes and doesn't have big empty spaces. The headmaster figure interacts with him in slightly more mundane ways.

Blurr is a better figure by far, even if his Titan Master interactions are not as interesting.

GoktimusPrime
9th September 2016, 02:37 PM
I don't own Blurr (the concept of the toy doesn't interest me) nor have I ever handled the mould IRL, so I'd say if people who have both are saying that Blurr is the better of the pair then it seems like sound advice. :)

I'm assuming that you don't know of any other collectors near you that might own the toy for you to try before you buy?

Ode to a Grasshopper
9th September 2016, 04:50 PM
Personally, I'd expand your list and get the old 1987 Headmaster crew - Chromedome, Hardhead, Brainstorm, Highbrow, and Weirdwolf/Wolfwire, Mindwipe, and Skullsmasher/cruncher. Having the full set of reimagined Headmasters would be pretty cool IMO.

If you're only after 2, though, Sixshot would be a good standalone figure. Though of course, Trypticon is supposed to be released under the TR line too...
For an Autobot, it sort of depends. If you're a Headmasters (as in the Japanese TV series) fan, Chromedome. For a good standalone figure who could work well with Sixshot, maybe Powermaster Optimus Prime. For a good standalone figure who has good feedback, I'd go for Wheelie.

UltraMarginal
9th September 2016, 05:00 PM
You might also want to wait a while for the newer waves to be released. traditionally the later waves of a toy line are better toys, whether because the designers have settled into the play pattern a bit more or if they've had more time to design the toy.

I only have 2 myself at the moment. hardhead, it's a decent figure, not complex but interesting enough.

Skullsmasher is a very simple transformation and the head and tail don't really do anything. the bot mode is fine, the Croc/Gator alt mode has a very nice aesthetic and shape. it's not just a straight croc, it curves up at the front shoulders to lift the torso. the back legs don't do much. Its not very stable.

The little Titan heads with their teeny vehicles are very simple, I only have 1 and I'm so unimpressed I can't remember it's name. I'd be happier with them if the were $5

UltimateGalvatron
9th September 2016, 06:08 PM
Personally, I'd expand your list and get the old 1987 Headmaster crew - Chromedome, Hardhead, Brainstorm, Highbrow, and Weirdwolf/Wolfwire, Mindwipe, and Skullsmasher/cruncher. Having the full set of reimagined Headmasters would be pretty cool IMO.

Yeah that isn't a bad idea, I just don't wanna get hooked and blow all my money, LOL. Maybe if I set myself a goal I can stick to that...

UltimateGalvatron
9th September 2016, 06:10 PM
I should contextualise my Blurr > Hardhead comment.

Hardhead has an excellent play pattern within the remit of the Titans Return line. The way the minifigs interact with the larger robot is delightful. I especially love how they can man the main gun. However it does suffer from some of the drawbacks of the post 2011 figures - hollow limbs, slightly rickety feel.

Blurr, which also being a headmaster, is a much more straightforward deluxe figure. Paint aside (and I am aware that that's a killer for some people) he doesn't suffer from the same drawbacks. He's solid in both modes and doesn't have big empty spaces. The headmaster figure interacts with him in slightly more mundane ways.

Blurr is a better figure by far, even if his Titan Master interactions are not as interesting. Yeah my only problem is that I don't actually like how Blurr looks, I think Brainstorm looks far better in that mould.

SharkyMcShark
9th September 2016, 06:15 PM
Yeah my only problem is that I don't actually like how Blurr looks, I think Brainstorm looks far better in that mould.

I agree with you there.

The detachable nosecone becomes much more palatable to be when you have the two guns on the front so it can become an arm mounted weapon, as opposed to being a chunk that's sort of meant to approximate a shield.

I'm hoping for a local release of Brainstorm at some point because the base mold is one of the best deluxes we've had in a long time.

Deonasis
10th September 2016, 07:22 AM
I hear Wheelie is good too.

Borgeman
10th September 2016, 09:12 PM
Yeah wheelie is solid.

Perhaps limit yourself to two bigger figures, but allow yourself some strech room for a couple of selected legends or smaller bots loke wheelie. I mean financially you might only spend 40 bucks wxtra but obtain 2 or 3 really solid little toys

UltimateGalvatron
11th September 2016, 03:39 AM
Yeah wheelie is solid.

Perhaps limit yourself to two bigger figures, but allow yourself some strech room for a couple of selected legends or smaller bots loke wheelie. I mean financially you might only spend 40 bucks wxtra but obtain 2 or 3 really solid little toys

Yeah, fair enough.

Raider
11th September 2016, 10:42 PM
When I read this thread title I was thinking you meant two of every one issued haha. Then I was like oh just get both the Hasbro and Takara versions each.

I'd pick up Fort Max just cause he is so much fun to play with and I'd wait to see what else they issue.

UltimateGalvatron
12th September 2016, 08:10 AM
When I read this thread title I was thinking you meant two of every one issued haha. Then I was like oh just get both the Hasbro and Takara versions each.

I'd pick up Fort Max just cause he is so much fun to play with and I'd wait to see what else they issue.

Yeah, as I said before, I'm not really sold on Fort Max. I've had a Metroplex in the past, and I can say that this looks like an improvement, but its price is really holding me back. I really like Cerebros, but not enough to get both of them.

Shirokaze
12th September 2016, 10:23 AM
For myself I've decided to stick with Convobat and Skull, because Beast Wars. :P
May pick up some extras while I'm in Japan in January if I find anything at a good price.

Chevron Action Flash
13th September 2016, 09:51 PM
Is Wolfwire the new Hasbro name for Weirdwolf? I haven't seen any reviews for him yet.

Check out Baltmatrix's review on YouTube. He freakin' gushes all over it.

UltimateGalvatron
15th September 2016, 06:10 PM
Well I went to Big W today (didn't buy anything, yet) and came away with three things;

1) Deluxes are now $25 as opposed to $30, which is great!

2) Legends are $20 and are smaller and don't come with a Titan Master as opposed to the $25 Deluxe :(

3) Voyager Galvatron looks pretty disappointing in packaging, and Sentinel Prime looks good.

UltraMarginal
15th September 2016, 06:25 PM
Myers current sale has deluxes at 20 and legends at 15. while they have any stock.

UltimateGalvatron
15th September 2016, 09:02 PM
Myers current sale has deluxes at 20 and legends at 15. while they have any stock.

Yeah, no Myer within a two hour radius of me. :(
And if someone picked one up for me they'd still have to pay for postage, which would be minimum $7.45, bringing it above the $25 from Big W, unfortunately :(:(:(:(

DarkHyren
15th September 2016, 10:20 PM
Yeah, no Myer within a two hour radius of me. :(
And if someone picked one up for me they'd still have to pay for postage, which would be minimum $7.45, bringing it above the $25 from Big W, unfortunately :(:(:(:(Try doing a price match if there's something you really want at BigW, KMart or Toys R Us, I managed to get TRU to price match their TR leaders to the myer price with a catelog ($60 down from $90) so hopefully shouldn't be too hard to do the same on some smaller bots

Sinnertwin
15th September 2016, 10:21 PM
I haven't bought any Transformers for a while and I'm thinking of caving into the Titans Returns goodness...

Don't.
:)

DaptoDog
15th September 2016, 10:36 PM
Don't.

You're back mate! We missed that wry wit.:p

Sinnertwin
15th September 2016, 10:44 PM
http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w661/sinnertwinsphotos/TippingHat_zpszfgycosl.gif (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/sinnertwinsphotos/media/TippingHat_zpszfgycosl.gif.html)

UltimateGalvatron
16th September 2016, 08:13 AM
Don't.

Oh.

:(

Borgeman
16th September 2016, 08:33 AM
Oh.

:(

http://i.imgur.com/WG2OuLD.png

UltimateGalvatron
17th September 2016, 04:57 PM
I was thinking about what Ode to a Grasshoper said, with expanding that list to the original 1987, but I just thought 'I don't want Chromedome'. Its not that I have anything against him, but in the G1 Cartoon for me it was always Hardhead, Brainstorm and Highbrow as the Headmasters. Chromedome was always kind of a background character to me (I don't even remember him speaking ever).

Because I'm slowly getting addicted again I'm probably just gonna buy all the figures that I like....

RIP Wallet :(:o