PDA

View Full Version : Every TF you own.... just gone!!!

janda the red
23rd September 2016, 12:54 PM
I saw an interesting thread over on TFW, thought I'd rip off the idea and see what people thought over here.

Basically the premise was if there was a fire, flood etc.... and you lost your entire collection, would you start again? or would that be it and you'd call it a day?

For me it's a hard question.... the amount of time I've sunk into finding all the G1 jet variants I have, not to mention all the money I've sunk into it! I'd like to think i'd start again, I really enjoy the hunt.... but in saying that, the idea of just trying to get back what I would of lost is daunting to say the least.

What would you do? ;)

:)

Glitchdan
23rd September 2016, 01:06 PM
Can you claim on insurance? :)
If not i'll move on...

janda the red
23rd September 2016, 01:12 PM
I know for me my collection is insured.... but only for about half it's actual value.

Even if I got a payout for all my stuff, the idea of how much time I've sunk into finding certain pieces is scary to try and replicate. :)

Borgeman
23rd September 2016, 01:15 PM
Extra contents insurance on my plastic so I at least financially will recoup.

As for going again? Depends on my stage of life. I cant see myself going balls deep again though.

In any case I think I'd get a couple of notable figs to remember the collection by.

Ralph Wiggum
23rd September 2016, 01:16 PM
I've insured my collectibles for a couple of grand, so money isn't an issue, just the effort. But yeah, I would definitely try to restore some resemblance of my collection.

DaptoDog
23rd September 2016, 01:30 PM
Yes we should all be taking out adequate insurance on our collections. My collection is certainly nowhere as extensive as some others here so it wouldn't seem like climbing Everest to replace.

Masterpiece from MP-10 on and G1 Combiners from Unite Warriors are what I am most focused on collecting and I would definitely replace those because that is still relatively easy to collect again. But the childhood memories of my moderate sized G1 collection could not be replaced and so I doubt I would buy them back. Also doubt I would buy back my Movie toys.

TAAUBlaster
23rd September 2016, 01:31 PM
As much as I would like to think I would start collecting again, I'm pretty sure I would just give it up if I lost my whole collection.
I've been building my collection my entire life - from my childhood G1 figures that I still own, right up to the Legends Fort Max that just shipped. I don't think I could start again after losing 30 odd years of blood, sweat, tears and dollars. :p

Not to mention that more than a few of my G1 pieces were really lucky buys. Either due to finding at an unbelievable price, or due to being in the right place at the right time for a couple of the hard-to-find figures. And like Janda, the sheer amount of time spent hunting some of my pieces is just crazy to think about.

This also reminds me... I should check the insurance value I have on everything :o

MayzaPrime
23rd September 2016, 01:40 PM
Mine is also insured. I think that I would just use the insurance money to just get Masterpiece figures even if I have to pay eBay price, I would have a lot of money leftover. I dont think I would or could replace my collection.

SharkyMcShark
23rd September 2016, 02:09 PM
I'd keep doing what I do now, which is buying the figures that appeal to me as and when they're released.

I'd probably re-buy 5-10 of the past figures.

To be honest the rest of them sit in boxes, so I wouldn't particularly miss them.

Sinnertwin
23rd September 2016, 02:11 PM
Move on to MLP

BruiseLee
23rd September 2016, 03:14 PM
Move on to MLP

Only if they do Masterpiece :p

ZoonMaster5000
23rd September 2016, 04:24 PM
I have life insurance because I would of drowned in the flood or died in a house fire saving my collection:p

On a serious note I have mine insured and if something were to happen probably 10 years from now I'd probably wouldn't continue collecting.

BigTransformerTrev
23rd September 2016, 04:28 PM
My collection isn't insured properly, which I should do but considering its size I cant really estimate its value so I live in fear of fire :o:eek:

If it all went, I think I would be too heartbroken to start again after 30 years of effort going up in smoke

Ralph Wiggum
23rd September 2016, 04:58 PM
I remember having to evacuate my home as a precaution due to a bush fire nearby.

Packed my dog and the computer. Ashamed to say my Transformer collection was left behind :eek:

Ode to a Grasshopper
23rd September 2016, 05:55 PM
I'd replace a few favourites, but there's no way I could/would replace everything. It'd take far too much time, money, and energy.

DarkHyren
23rd September 2016, 06:15 PM
I've gone through this sort of thing once in my life already (more info on that HERE (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=6550)) so not sure I could handle it again, especially thinking about everything and how many good memories are attached to the bots I have now.
Honestly I couldn't say that I wouldn't just give it all up unless I could easily replace it all, and even then it just wouldn't be the same as those new bots wouldn't have the same memories attached to them, if anything they might end up being a reminder of what was lost :(

Skullcruncher
23rd September 2016, 07:54 PM
Man I can't even think about starting again under any circumstances. Get a totally new hobby considering if the TF's went I would assume my Joes, Lego, Battle Beasts and Smurfs went with them :(

Paulbot
23rd September 2016, 11:21 PM
Lost them all? :eek:

With my comics, I'd buy the IDW classic collections of Marvel and some of the IDW runs (MTMTE). Generally easy to find still but wouldn't replace single issues.

With my toys, I would buy a couple of replacements, probably try to get some MPs (like MP10 Prime, Prowl, Sideswipe) and some of my favourites from other lines, and I would likely continue to buy new ones the same way I currently do.

I've been culling my collection over the past few years and one of the thoughts I've tried to apply is "would I replace this?" but it's generally easier though to keep things you already have. If they were all gone there's more I wouldn't replace - like most of TF:Prime toys for example if I think about it.

Zommael
24th September 2016, 09:30 AM
I don't know that I would. I'd probably try to rebuild a little based on what I can easily get locally, but at this point even if there was an insurance payout I'd spend it on Gunpla.

jazzcomp
24th September 2016, 09:56 AM
Since my collection is all over the place, I would be more selective if I start over.

drifand
24th September 2016, 02:42 PM
I may not buy Tf MPs which I had been collecting and just buy a um prime or equal to be centre piece and that's it.

Half of my collection is in another house so. I know I never be all lost.

liegeprime
25th September 2016, 11:43 AM
an evil evil thread, lol:o:D:D:p

Ah well, prolly just end up restarting with the MPs and just the 85/86 G1 cast....

UltimateGalvatron
25th September 2016, 02:26 PM
Don't have any at the moment...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4

Ploughmans Lunch
25th September 2016, 03:03 PM
I'd hope I'd have insurance and I'd just call it a day.

Slag
25th September 2016, 07:49 PM
^^ same for me...

Deonasis
25th September 2016, 11:21 PM
I would not replace many. Once my life was back on track I would continue to pick and choose Transformers as I have no strict collecting rules.

Bladestorm
25th September 2016, 11:21 PM
If I lost everything I'd be devastated as whilst I haven't had my figures since I was a kid several of them have sentimental attachment for various reasons which could never be replaced.

I probably wouldn't replace my entire collection but like Jazzcomp be more selective and probably only replace a few choice pieces... ones that I can rebuild memories with or that just make me genuinely smile - like Ultimetal Prime - If I'm having a bad day all I have to do is walk past that figure and he brings a smile to my face.

janda the red
26th September 2016, 07:51 AM
It seems the overwhelming majority of people wouldn't completely rebuild their collections, but would either call it a day.... or just buy a few select pieces.

I know this is a pretty sombre thread, but I like how it makes you question yourself.... and how much your collection means to you.

It's been interesting to read everyone's thoughts so far..... thanks for posting :)

Jetfire in the sky
27th September 2016, 03:22 PM
I would bail on collecting and buy a nice Mercedes with the insurance money :D

Raider
27th September 2016, 03:40 PM
I would bail on collecting and buy a nice Mercedes with the insurance money :D

^ I'm pretty close with this. Although I am sure it would be my wife staring at the insurance payout and saying "we need a new car".

I would use it as an excuse to stop collecting. My collection keeps expanding and I am severely lacking in space to the point that everything from 30th Generations onward (and I have pretty much collected both Takara and Hasbro versions) remains MISB or MOSC and in boxes.

UltraMarginal
30th September 2016, 12:13 AM
I really don't know what I'd do.
My collection isn't properly insured as by the time it got to a size that I realised was worth insuring it was well past a point of being able to catalogue without going insane.

I would only get a fraction of what it's worth.

I don't think I'd stop collecting but I certainly wouldn't be able to afford to replace everything I have now. either time wise or money wise

I'd be devastated but I'd still buy more transformers, I'd probably replace key figures from various lines. I don't think I could actually stop...

CBratron
30th September 2016, 09:14 AM
My collection isn't insured. Neither is it large.

If I were to lose it through 'misadventure' I would hunt down and require the core cast of TFPrime, the only part of my collection I consider essential.

A bigger concern might be the equal number of posable vinyls, Play Arts Kai and Figma that would be harder to replace.

klystron
10th October 2016, 08:11 PM
With what insurance money was left over from replacing the esstentials (clothes, electronics, mountain bikes, Macross Valks, etc), I would quickly replace a few key TFs (G1 Predaking, Bruticus, Snapdragon and Hun-Grrr; BW Primal; Classics Jetfire; and maybe a few others).
Other than that, it would be a start-over and opportunity to maybe hunt down some figures I may not have considered in the past.

Horrible concept tho... but it did make me consider which figures I consider "essential."

GoktimusPrime
10th October 2016, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't start over and I don't know how anyone could because the single most precious thing about our toys would have to be the emotional/sentimental value attached to them. Our toys are our lifetime heirlooms, e.g. G1 toys being our childhood heirlooms.

As most of you know, I had my original G1 Optimus Prime stolen several years ago. I've since had it replaced when another original G1 Optimus Prime was most generously given to me. And as eternally grateful as I am for this act of kindness, the new G1 Optimus Prime and my reissue G1 Optimus Primes can never replace what was lost - that piece of my childhood. Because even though my G1 Optimus Prime is an original from the 80s - not a reissue - and my reissues are legitimately licensed toys, none of them are the Optimus Prime that I grew up playing with. This can never be replaced.

Let's look at some more recent figures that I've got and the sentimental value that I've already attached to them. A week ago I got LG Nightbird Shadow (among other TFs) at the Osaka Meet. Just yesterday I got TR Blaster at a Sydney fan meet with Bladestorm. Two international fan meets in the span of just a week - how often does that happen? But these toys are souvenirs from these moments. The TFs that I got from my most recent Japan trip aren't just a souvenirs from the trip, but also from the first overseas school trip that I've done, so that's a major kilometrestone in my life.

Many toys contain precious memories. This is why if I ever do decide to off-load a toy, it'll be a toy that doesn't contain a precious memory, and even then I try to sell or even give away toys to fellow collectors to ensure that the toy remains loved with its new owner. I am reluctant to sell or give toys away toy people who wouldn't appreciate them. e.g. There's a Generations Scourge in my sales thread, but I actually have 2 Generations Scourges. The one that's not for sale is one that I bought when I was travelling overseas with my family and attended my brother's wedding. I would never part with that toy. The one that's for sale was a peg-warming Scourge that I found at a local Kmart which I got to fill as a "Sweep." That's the one that's for sale. Physically both toys are identical, but the one that I'm keeping is the one that holds great sentimental value for me.

Megatran
10th October 2016, 11:39 PM
As most of you know, I had my original G1 Optimus Prime stolen several years ago.
You might have to retell that story to refresh our memories.

GoktimusPrime
11th October 2016, 12:48 AM
You might have to retell that story to refresh our memories.
That is why I deliberately started my post with "As most of you know..." i.e. feel free to skip that paragraph if you've heard it before. And I've lost count as to how many times this topic has cropped up.

P.S.: The stuff in the 3rd paragraph was new, I've never told that before unless you've travelled to us from the future. So... what's the world like under President Trump? ;)