Wave - N/A
Released here – No. Released in Japan on November 26, 2016
RRP - 15,120JPY
Approximate Size - 25cm
Allegiance - Autobot
Alt-mode – Mitsubishi Fuso T951
Main Features/Gimmicks – Retractable ladder
Main Colours – Red
Main Accessories – Anime grill, Alert holding grill, fire fighting rifle, communication equipment (2), face for the square-shaped head, face for the round head (2), water discharge effect parts, round head, barrel, fire hose

http://i.imgur.com/ua09Lvul.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SdKPEbWl.jpg

Ok so i was going into this a little less enthused than most MP releases. Not a particularly big fan of the character, but in the end decided I should get at least one of this mould, and i like me some fire trucks so Inferno it was!

Mitsubishi Fuso T951 mode
Opening it up, the first thing that struck me was that it's bigger than i expected - he's a good half a car length bigger than the MP cars and about the same width. I guess it's in scale so i'm not sure why i was surprised! Anyway, next thing was wow, the vibrancy is top notch. His red is painted pretty much everywhere, only a few joints are red plastic. The red itself looks much like Ironhide and Lambor, but maybe cause of the white accents, just seems to look even brighter - it looks great. The ladder and hoses on the sides are unpainted, but the other white parts have a nice pearlescent covering. The chrome grill really finishes it off nicely!

Going around the alt mode, the detailing is really good on the front of the cab. I love how the top has horns, and how the emergency lights are transparent pieces instead of painted.. The sides are mostly arms but make for a decent look. The tube thingos - i guess they're for balance when the ladder is extended, cause they both slide out. The back is unfortunately bare - just a small moulded ridge on the sides, with no painted or transparent tail lights. Seems especially odd considering he's a rescue truck! It's disappointing, but I can live with it since i'm not gonna display him facing backwards too often!

The windows up front are nicely done - they're nice and smooth from the outside, but they've got a frosting effect on the back that kinda diffuses the view through them - a nice touch to have transparency and better obscure the stuff behind them. The ladder extends out past the front by about a centimetre and doesn't look too small. It ratchets up and down but can't rotate, which is a shame, but seems like it was probably a necessary concession for the transformation. At the front, a nozzle can poke out and you can attach his water effect parts. This looks really nice, going from milky white to transparent - it really gives the impression of a heavy froth in the stream!

He's got a good clearance on the ground, but with the plastic wheels and his weight, doesn't roll so good on a hard surface. The only part of the vehicle that isn't really cohesive is the top middle section of the tray - it's pretty much just a joint. It's mostly hidden from view so not really a big deal. Overall it does look quite realistic and i'm pretty pleased with it! The only real issue i have is on his ladder - as it slides out on a track, one section of it doesn't seem to have an indent to catch it on - it's held in place by friction. Putting the ladder vertical, it won't slide down by itself - but a knock will drop it down a little bit.

Transformation
I wasn't expecting a whole lot here either - since the surprise of the ladder was spoiled a bit in the lead up, and the rest seemed pretty obvious where things go. But it surprised me in how fluid it all feels - it's just really smooth, no hassle, no clearance issues, all the way through. Some parts of the instructions aren't super clear though so you'd still best pay attention! It resembles Ironhide's transformation in terms of where parts come from and end up - but how they get there is unique enough not to feel like it's a retread. The ladder, as everyone knows by now - has an amazing transformation! It's one of those so simple but so effective designs, and for a period i was just going back and forth admiring it! Other standouts steps include the way the shoulder joints lock in place securely while hiding them completely - and the side panels of the leg. They fold out such that you can't really see where the joint is or where it's moving, yet it all moves so smooth and fits into it's robot mode position like a glove!

Robot mode
Inferno stands about the same height as Ironhide, but looks bigger and feels slightly heavier, thanks to the bulk in his legs. He is cartoon accurate to a fault. Side by side with Ironhide - they definitely have a consistency. With the older car bots - they've got a few more moulded details here and there, but I still think Inferno fits with them very well.

There's no kibble obscuring his movement and he has solid ratchet joints in the shoulders, thighs and knees that give a really good range of motion. The rest are hinges and pivots - he gets past 90º with his elbows, and his feet have very good inward and back to front movement. They're like massive slabs - no diecast, but this guy is staying put when you pose him! A really nice touch is how the feet have a recess to take in his shins when tilting the feet forward - which makes for a nice clean look no matter how you pose. His head box can rotate and tilt forward, while the head itself is on a hinging ball joint. I really appreciate this design because his vision is never obscured by the box, and he can easily look down at shorter bots!

The head has the wings and flip down cannon like on the G1 toy, chromed and it looks really good - it doesn't detach, it's integrated into the transformation. Inferno comes with 2 helmets, each with 2 faces. They're not designed for the other head, so make sure you're attaching them to the right one! Both heads look good, in all honesty i'm not sure which one i prefer! The round shaped head is a little smaller overall, so it's a bit easier to get your fingers on it for posing. The pearlescent paint returns for his face! I hope this is a new standard going forward - instead of the glossy grey on Ironhide, this paint looks a touch metallic while still evoking the cartoon colouring - they struck a nice balance.

Talking of the cartoon, he's got the alternate grill. My chrome grill was stuck in there good, but you can get at it from behind if you're having trouble. The anime grill doesn't look all that hot until you put it on - then all of a sudden it seems like the chrome was out of place. I was really surprised by how much i liked it. Don't think it'll be going on when i'm in car mode however! He also has another, even less detailed grill, with a giant plastic tray for carrying Alert. Not something i care for to be honest, and why it's less detailed, i've no idea. Both of the alternate grills have thinner lines around their Autobot logos than on the chrome grill. I prefer the thicker outline, which also has the eyes filled in. They give you a sticker sheet that has one of each type if you care to swap. The stickers are MUCH thinner than Ratchet and Shockwave - a change i'm pleased to see. The crop is still pretty spacious though, i wish they'd cut them in a bit closer. He's also got 4 Fire Department badges similar to Alert, I might have to think about where i'll put those!

Jeez, there's so much to this guy! He has a nozzle that flips around with his right hand - chrome and pearl/anime options. It can transform with it on, which is nice. He has 2 communicators which look pretty crap to be honest - at first i thought they were display stand attachments :o They can attach on his arms or also store in his left arm. Then he has his hose, which is rubber with no posing wire on the inside. One end has a nozzle, the other end just ... ends. Need to find out if it plugs in somewhere! Finally, there's his fire fighting rifle. It looks good, for when you need a rifle in a fire fight (all the time)

QC for 99% of it is great. I did have trouble closing up his left arm - it wraps around similar to Lambor and was leaving a bit of a gap. I thought it could be a misaligned pin, but on closer inspection, seemed that paint on the inside detent was a hair too thick. Shaving it down a fraction, the arm closes flush pretty well. It could do with a better lock mechanism, but it works. Why'd they paint the insides of this one but leave Shockwave bare all over? It continues to be a mystery! I'm starting to think maybe the cost of his electronics played a part in that decision.

Overall, robot mode is a winner, and this toy is great! I'm really happy with it. I sold off my only other Inferno - Universe version - years ago after becoming displeased with the colour compared to the Henkei release... only to never buy a Henkei version! Now i've replaced it, and while it has some similarity, the difference and improvement is vast. I think it'll come down to aesthetics for most, but rest assured if you like what you see, everything else will not disappoint!

GoktimusPrime
27th November 2016, 10:21 AM
I've ordered mine from PC so... should get it by New Year? :o :p

Not a particularly big fan of the character, but in the end decided I should get at least one of this mould, and i like me some fire trucks so Inferno it was!
I've always loved Inferno. As I kid I was enthralled by the toy and also loved the fact that he was a member of an elite Autobot fighting force (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Wrecker), and the only Autobot Car to have been a member! :D #wreckandrule (http://static2.comicvine.com/uploads/original/1/15659/2500094-springer_wreck_and_rule_tf_last_stand_of_the_wreck ers_5.jpg)

Mitsubishi Fuso T951 mode
Opening it up, the first thing that struck me was that it's bigger than i expected - he's a good half a car length bigger than the MP cars and about the same width. I guess it's in scale so i'm not sure why i was surprised!
What is MP Inferno's length according to the instructions? Because the Diaclone data states that it's 11.55m but I find that it may not be as accurate as the stats provided by MP instructions.
e.g. Diaclone Lamborghini New Countach LP500S' data (http://www.diaclone.net/orid/dia050/index.html) states that the vehicle length is 4.3m whereas MP Lambor's instructions state 4.14m, and 3 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_Countach) different (http://www.lambocars.com/pdf/lp500sspecs.pdf) sources (http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/lamborghini/countach/countach_lp500s/1984.html) I've found all confirm that it's 4.14m. So it seems that the MP stats are more reliable. Having said that, the Diaclone stats were only off by 16cm, so it's a reasonably close approximation (bearing in mind that Diaclone was targeted at children who wouldn't have noticed the discrepancy ;)), so I'd say that going off the Diaclone measurements would give us a reasonably good idea of scale.

So in order for Inferno to be in scale with say MP Lambor/Alert, it would need to be 2.79 lengths. :eek: Inferno would actually need to be longer than MP10, as Diaclone Battle Convoy's length is stated as 6.6m (http://www.diaclone.net/orid/dia052/index.html). So to be in scale, MP Inferno would need to be about 1.75 times the length of MP10! :eek: This would not only make Inferno massive, but much more expensive too; possibly approaching the RRP of MP10 or MP36. It would also make the robot mode tower over other Autobots. Basically, a scale accurate Inferno would probably look more like Super Fire Convoy compared to the Car Robot Bros. If you look at this photo (http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-74-35/yagyujaguar10/folder/1041887/42/23933542/img_5?1389401069) you can see that Fire Convoy is roughly the length of 2.5 of the three Car Robot Bros (bearing in mind that the Hino Brandbilar is approximately 1m shorter than a Mitsubishi T951 (https://www.city.sado.niigata.jp/fire119/org/facility/chuo/02.shtml)).

I think that TakaraTOMY have probably opted for robot mode scale over vehicle scale.

The back is unfortunately bare - just a small moulded ridge on the sides, with no painted or transparent tail lights. Seems especially odd considering he's a rescue truck! It's disappointing, but I can live with it since i'm not gonna display him facing backwards too often!
This is most likely to be show-accurate, as Sunbow rarely (if ever) painted additional colours on the rear of vehicle modes. This is a problem when toys become slavishly show-accurate, but it's what fans have been demanding... :rolleyes: Btw, being in Japan you are in a privileged position of being able to access and use TakaraTOMY's online survey. I strongly advise you to do this and give direct feedback to TakaraTOMY so that hopefully they will improve things for future products. Those of us outside Japan are geoblocked. :(

Robot mode
Inferno comes with 2 helmets, each with 2 faces. They're not designed for the other head, so make sure you're attaching them to the right one! Both heads look good, in all honesty i'm not sure which one i prefer! The round shaped head is a little smaller overall, so it's a bit easier to get your fingers on it for posing.
Inferno appears with both heads (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/4/49/G1cartoon_inferno_heads.jpg) in the G1 cartoon, one is based on the cartoon model (left) and the other is more toy-accurate (right). You can see that the cartoon model head has a broader face while the toy-accurate head has a more tapered face. Inferno actually appeared more frequently with a toy-accurate head in the G1 cartoon. IIRC he only appeared in the cartoon with the toon model head in just two episodes; Auto Berserk and Kremzeek!. In all other eps he appeared with a toy-accurate head. Inferno did use the Dery-model head consistently throughout the G1 comics though.

kurdt_the_goat
27th November 2016, 02:18 PM
What is MP Inferno's length according to the instructions?

L: 9.31m
W: 2.48m
H: 2.7m

You can do the maths for me :P. Just to my eye it looks about right; there's a fire station just around the corner from where i live with a bunch of newer model trucks.

Having said that, the Diaclone stats were only off by 16cm, so it's a reasonably close approximation (bearing in mind that Diaclone was targeted at children who wouldn't have noticed the discrepancy ;))

Should we also bear in mind that those same children are now grown men though? :D

Inferno appears with both heads (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/4/49/G1cartoon_inferno_heads.jpg) in the G1 cartoon, one is based on the cartoon model (left) and the other is more toy-accurate (right). You can see that the cartoon model head has a broader face while the toy-accurate head has a more tapered face. Inferno actually appeared more frequently with a toy-accurate head in the G1 cartoon. IIRC he only appeared in the cartoon with the toon model head in just two episodes; Auto Berserk and Kremzeek!. In all other eps he appeared with a toy-accurate head. Inferno did use the Dery-model head consistently throughout the G1 comics though.

Yeah i know, still doesn't make the decision which to use any easier, they both look good in MP toy form!

GoktimusPrime
27th November 2016, 02:55 PM
L: 9.31m
W: 2.48m
H: 2.7m

You can do the maths for me :P.
Look, just because I'm Asian -- okay, fine. :p
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno_scale_zpsyxvv5fn2.jpg

Yeah i know, still doesn't make the decision which to use any easier, they both look good in MP toy form!
#headygoodness (https://media.giphy.com/media/l2Je4DmAcHQPIuRtS/giphy.gif)

kurdt_the_goat
27th November 2016, 03:12 PM
Look, just because I'm Asian -- okay, fine. :p
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno_scale_zpsyxvv5fn2.jpg

Thanks, and there was no racism here, i'm just lazy :D
I used to be a maths whiz back in the day!

That looks like Lamborghini Gallardo in your pic instead of the LP-500S - but anyway, yeah somewhere the scale is going wrong cause MP Inferno definitely isn't two car lengths. But proportionally it seems right anyway, and with the robot height working out perfect, there's really no problem!

GoktimusPrime
27th November 2016, 03:31 PM
Thanks, and there was no racism here, i'm just lazy :D
I used to be a maths whiz back in the day!
I know, I was just being silly. :p Truth be told, my maths was actually rather ordinary in school. :o

That looks like Lamborghini Gallardo in your pic instead of the LP-500S
I just Googled clip arts for a fire engine (which isn't a Mitsubishi Fuso) and for Lamborghini just for the purposes of demonstrating scale. Ceebs to scour through the interwebs for perfect side on photos of a Fuso and Countach! #alsolazy

UltimateGalvatron
27th November 2016, 04:55 PM
Hmm. I like this mould.

hYpNoS
27th November 2016, 05:18 PM
0 attachment to the character but the engineering has drawn me in, can't wait for grappel and the diaclone repaints :D

As for scale I think he's scaled to be slightly smaller than prime, stand side to side with ironhide, but it certainly ain't realistic, by rights mp10's truck shouldn't be so massive compared to him, thankfully g1's scaling was all over the place so as long as he isn't taller than prime it works XD

MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!!
27th November 2016, 09:06 PM
Video review from Chosen Prime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Dv0luyIo4

doublespy
27th November 2016, 11:37 PM
Very detailed and informative review. Thanks K.G! Can't wait for this guy.

I watched Chosen Prime' video review soon as it was put up. How the ladders folds inside the cavity and the hinge then folds over the assembly to lock it in place is just mesmerizing. I bet when I get this guy in hand I'll also transform this bit back and forth 20 times.:p I thought how the very back panels fold underneath the feet is really neat too.

No disrespect to all the 3P designers, but this year TakTom have been putting on a Masterpiece clinic! Get out of the way amateurs let the pros go to work!:D

DELTAprime
2nd December 2016, 02:30 PM
I've had him for a couple of days now. Really happy with him. Transformation wasn't a very challenging puzzle but was satisfying. No QC issues to speak of. The cartoon accurate parts are really nice to have, but now I wish I had the option for a cartoon accurate chest (and hip panels) on Ironhide and Ratchet cause they are sticking out like sore thumbs.

I have to give kudos to Takara as almost every MP on my shelves evoke the cartoon well which is what I'm after. An anime paint job for Wheeljack, a slight remould and anime paint job for MP10, an MP36 to replace MP5 and the aforementioned Ironhide and Ratchet chest and I would have no complaints.

aching878
2nd December 2016, 02:52 PM
I've had him for a couple of days now. Really happy with him. Transformation wasn't a very challenging puzzle but was satisfying. No QC issues to speak of. The cartoon accurate parts are really nice to have, but now I wish I had the option for a cartoon accurate chest (and hip panels) on Ironhide and Ratchet cause they are sticking out like sore thumbs.

I have to give kudos to Takara as almost every MP on my shelves evoke the cartoon well which is what I'm after. An anime paint job for Wheeljack, a slight remould and anime paint job for MP10, an MP36 to replace MP5 and the aforementioned Ironhide and Ratchet chest and I would have no complaints.

does your left forearm close up properly or has a gap

M-bot
12th December 2016, 06:25 PM
Unbelievably good. I LOVE this figure. Mine doesn't appear to have any QC issues. I would say it's one of the best MPs in recent memory but there have been so freaking many great toys in the MP line recently it seems silly to say. I'm absolutely loving the MP line the last few years.

This has made an Artfire purchase go from "not interested" to "sitting on the fence" for me.

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2016, 11:21 PM
Poll?

--------------------

Inferno is incredible! TakaraTOMY have truly outdone themselves with this toy, having improved on many features seen on MP Ironhide and Ratchet (although to be fair, Ironhide/Ratchet was a far more difficult challenge). The pieces feel a lot more solid and robust than the Nissan Cherries. Yes, the robot mode does look rather plain, but it's slavishly G1 accurately so. I would personally prefer a more toy-accurate detailed robot form, but I realise that I'm in the minority and that most collectors want show-accuracy, so I can't fault TakaraTOMY for giving the majority of fans what they want. :o

The transformation is really clever and the way that the ladder "vanishes" into the robot is quite ingenious. MP Inferno just feels as if Inferno just jumped out of the TV screen and became a toy. The interchangeable face, helmet, hand-nozzles and grills, as well as the detachable arm-mounted communicators all make the toy even sweeter. I personally don't care much for a chrome-less cartoon-accurate hand-nozzle and grill, but it's nice that they included it for those who prefer it. I'll stick with the toy-accurate chromed grill and more detailed/angular helmet/face thanks. :o

The plastic water jet looks weird IRL but surprisingly photographs quite well and is passable as water. Inferno's papoose for Red Alert is adorable and Red Alert fits in quite well. Inferno is also quite well balanced while cradling Red Alert; the weight is distributed well and doesn't make Inferno front heavy.

An excellent toy. Highly recommend.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/avatars/jaam_yum.gif

PHOTOS

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno01_zpssi0tulcm.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno02_zps6u5td6nc.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno03_zpsjuctfk0e.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno03a_zpsstclkyej.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno05_zpsi0h2l8bj.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno06_zpsddcpabpl.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno07_zps3h9wgyds.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno08_zpslmm4tibr.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno10_zpsoodmditw.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno11_zpsumkdrggv.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno12_zpsjz0bujh1.jpg

I don't normally photograph toys from behind, but it's hard to ignore just how the ladder is so comprehensively concealed! Remember that the reason why Transformers tend to have featureless rear shots of their robot modes is because the G1 animation models (Floro Dery's design) only ever showed the robots drawn from the front. Animators had to pretty much guess how they looked from behind. So TakaraTOMY have worked to strip away features on the rear of the robot here. :eek:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno15_zpsiiwlksgp.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Inferno/mp_inferno13_JP_zpsejhkmnim.jpg

drifand
24th December 2016, 11:10 AM
Looks better than expected . Looking forward for mine.

Magnus
25th December 2016, 11:24 PM
Even though the original toy was one of my favourites, and I liked the character, this wasn't an instant buy for me; I didn't pre-order, and ended up getting one with an eBay discount code. Now I've played around with this guy for a bit, and I'm pretty happy with him.

The way the shoulders swing around is vaguely reminiscent of the shoulders on RotF leader class Optimus, although these shoulders had me stumped at first because it wasn't quite clear how to turn them around. Folding his head down in vehicle mode was surprisingly challenging at first, because of the way the head-mounted wings fold down; I found if they're not folded all the way down, they're liable to catch on the grey lower frame that forms the bottom of the cab.

With the push towards screen-accuracy, much has been made of the figure's 'simplicity', namely the lack of moulded detail, particularly on the legs. I'm personally not bothered by it, although oddly I'm kind of disappointed that the gun is pretty simple.

Something I noticed about the ladder is that its configuration is screen-accurate rather than toy-accurate; based on the character model, the individual telescoping sections are relatively short, (https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/57/e2/2d/57e22d54fc111524bb468d34adbe3449.jpg) whereas on the original toy each section is over three quarters of the overall length of the truck. (http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/22/4c/11/224c1135337111acd483d143cb542412.jpg) No idea whether that was deliberate or a coincidence that formed as a result of making the ladder fold into the body, though.

philby
20th January 2017, 01:03 PM
i really like it so far but I have to say the legs in particular are just too plain. This line is supposed to be bringing the best of both toy and cartoon aspects, not only one over the other.

GoktimusPrime
20th January 2017, 01:48 PM
Recent MPs have been slavishly cartoon accurate. It's what fans have been pining for for years. I personally agree with you completely though, but I can't blame TakaraTOMY for essentially giving the fandom what they've been asking for. It's a shame that their online feedback survey is still geoblocked. :( I hope that our Japan-based members are still diligently filling it out (so they get at least some feedback from AU fans). :o I wonder if I've chucked out my little white slip of paper with the survey code, cos I might take the time filling out the survey in my hotel room when I'm next in Japan. Hhmmm... Still, we've all been able to access their online survey for years before it was geoblocked.

philby
20th January 2017, 02:49 PM
I love that they made Ratchet and Ironhide in that shape and not the original toy design. I think they go too far to looking just like the cartoon and they end up bland however. It's silly to me. For me I guess I want the cartoon overall proportions and movement/articulation, just not the plainness. Why do they look plain and simple in the cartoon? I'm assuming because it would take too much time and money to add in all the details! Why limit the masterpiece series like that? Eh. Stupid fans :p :D

GoktimusPrime
20th January 2017, 04:13 PM
Why do they look plain and simple in the cartoon? I'm assuming because it would take too much time and money to add in all the details!
Not really. The early G1 episodes were animated by Toei Doga which is based in Kyoto. They also animated series like Lightspeed Electroid Albegas (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5ZS3pqHv5M), Dragonball Zed (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHnfX1RmZX8) and many more. The reason why the G1 cartoon designs were simplified was a deliberate decision from Sunbow's design supervisor and internet troll, Floro Dery (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Floro_Dery). There were actually earlier animation models created by Takara's Kohara Shouhei (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Sh%C5%8Dhei_Kohara) which were used for early toy commercials, but Dery rejected those designs in favour of his own simplified ones. Just look at the differences between Kohara's and Dery's designs for G1 Sideswipe (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/4/4b/Deryizedsideswipe.jpg).

Why limit the masterpiece series like that? Eh. Stupid fans :p :D
Therein lies the flaw of democracy. :)

The funny thing is that MPs started with the complete opposite design philosophy. If you look at MP1 that toy is hyper-detailed. Hydraulic pistons on every joint, air-pump activated shin vents, working suspension on the wheels and ankles, individually articulated fingers and faceplate, foot articulation (not ankle, foot!) etc. -- the list goes on.

Another possibility is that Mitsubishi may not have been so fussy with the Fuso FT fire engine (http://blog-imgs-47.fc2.com/f/d/8/fd830/CIMG2858.jpg), allowing TakaraTOMY greater freedom in making the vehicle more G1 show-accurate, thus stripping away a lot of the detail granted by the vehicle mode. Other MPs may be relatively more detailed because their vehicle companies wanted more accurate looking vehicle modes (as a condition of their licences), thus then in turn added more detail to the robot modes. Companies like Nissan, Lamborghini, Corvette etc. were obviously more precise in wanting their vehicles to be portrayed in accurate detail. Even VW were quite picky considering that MP Bumblebee even sports VW logos on his hubcaps! :eek: Cos yeah, if Mitsubishi were more insistent, then MP Inferno's vehicle mode at least would look a whole lot more better than Super Fire Convoy's Hino Branbilar fire engine mode (http://toys.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2010/03/Fire-Convoy-Fire-Engine_1268575779.jpg).

That's not to say that Mitsubishi don't care about any of their vehicles being accurately portrayed in toys per se, but possibly just not when it comes to vehicles that aren't available for sale to the public like their Fuso FT fire engines and cranes. It might be different if it were a commercial vehicle like the Fuso Canter (http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/mitsubishi/canter/1995/mitsubishi_canter_2892945_orig.jpg) or HSR III (http://www.diseno-art.com/images_4/Mitsubishi_HSR_III_high.jpg) (although the odds of an MP Hydradread (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hydradread) is highly unlikely :p). So it may be a case of TakaraTOMY having wanted to bring more cartoon accuracy for quite some time, but their ability to do so being influenced by vehicle companies.

drifand
21st January 2017, 12:01 PM
I love that they made Ratchet and Ironhide in that shape and not the original toy design. I think they go too far to looking just like the cartoon and they end up bland however. It's silly to me. For me I guess I want the cartoon overall proportions and movement/articulation, just not the plainness. Why do they look plain and simple in the cartoon? I'm assuming because it would take too much time and money to add in all the details! Why limit the masterpiece series like that? Eh. Stupid fans :p :D

Not stupid fans, silly tt do not know how to define what is masterpiece. Split the line properly and you can milk as much and keep everyone happy.

Smint
21st January 2017, 01:19 PM
I like the cartoon aesthetic because how often do you get a toy transformer that is literally ripped from the cartoon. For me the image i have of transformers is the G1 cartoon. For TT to recreate that feeling and have all the modern engineering and cool accessories is a good thing.

As a kid when I first saw the original toy Iron Hide I wondered why it looked so different. I couldn't even process it at the time that it was nothing like Iron Hide and it was freaking ugly.

Details are nice but add too much and you no longer have the G1 nostalgia effect.

I've really enjoyed some of the recent releases in the MP line. Especially the changes with the accessories. We went from exclusive shoulder cannons for the datsuns which i freaking hated, to TT doing multiple faces, stands, weapons all in the box.

GoktimusPrime
21st January 2017, 02:02 PM
I like the cartoon aesthetic because how often do you get a toy transformer that is literally ripped from the cartoon. For me the image i have of transformers is the G1 cartoon. For TT to recreate that feeling and have all the modern engineering and cool accessories is a good thing.
And from that perspective we can see that toys like MP Inferno are perfect. This toy really feels like Inferno has just jumped out of your TV screen! :D

Details are nice but add too much and you no longer have the G1 nostalgia effect.
I don't entirely agree with this as it's highly dependent on one's perspective. You have to remember that the toys came first and are therefore the original source. Many of us started collecting these toys before they appeared in the cartoon and thus have greater fondness for the original toys. Also, some other G1 sources also used more G1 accurate artwork (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/8/8b/Infernomissinginaction.jpg), such as Marvel UK artist John Stokes (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/John_Stokes) etc. Not everyone followed Dery's simplified design. Even the G1 cartoon occasionally blended more toy-accurate features, such as the more angular and detailed helmet and face, whereas in other episodes animators stuck to Dery's simplified rounded helmet and face, as can be seen in this side-by-side comparison (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/4/49/G1cartoon_inferno_heads.jpg). This is probably why MP Inferno comes with changeable helmets and faces because even the G1 cartoon inconsistently switched between the Dery and G1 toy designs. For those of us who were exposed to the G1 toys first, we literally saw characters like Inferno transition from high detail to simplification. Okay, in cases like Ratchet/Ironhide, the cartoon design was a definite improvement because the original toys weren't the greatest. But the original G1 Inferno toy is just beautiful, and the slavish cartoon accuracy steps away from that.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/inferno_toy_cartoon_zpscrbfdgk9.jpg

Of course, from a cartoon-likeness fan's (like yourself) POV, I can see that MP Inferno must be an absolute delight for you. :) Don't get me wrong, I still love MP Inferno and I think that he is still a wonderful toy regardless of our opinions about toy vs show accuracy. But I concur with Philby that a hybrid toy-show design (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/9/90/G1_Inferno_profilecollection1.jpg) (taking the best from both worlds) might've been nicer. :o But this toy is still bloody fantastic nonetheless. :cool:

I've really enjoyed some of the recent releases in the MP line. Especially the changes with the accessories. We went from exclusive shoulder cannons for the datsuns which i freaking hated, to TT doing multiple faces, stands, weapons all in the box.
The good thing about these accessories is that you can opt in or out of them. Don't like the Nissans' exclusive shoulder cannons? Don't use them. :o I personally prefer Inferno's toy-accurate chrome grill over the toy-accurate flat grey ones, so I'm only ever going to have the chrome grill attached. Likewise the toy-accurate angular helmet and face. But others can choose to have the Dery/Sunbow-accurate grey grill and broad/simplified helmet and face. :) It's cool that TakaraTOMY give us the option to customise these toys according to our tastes and spoiling us for choice.

Robzy
21st January 2017, 02:33 PM
Inferno is oustanding. I love the cartoon look. I want them go re-visit Starscream and make him more toon accurate :D

Smint
21st January 2017, 02:51 PM
The good thing about these accessories is that you can opt in or out of them. Don't like the Nissans' exclusive shoulder cannons? Don't use them. :o I personally prefer Inferno's toy-accurate chrome grill over the toy-accurate flat grey ones, so I'm only ever going to have the chrome grill attached. Likewise the toy-accurate angular helmet and face. But others can choose to have the Dery/Sunbow-accurate grey grill and broad/simplified helmet and face. :) It's cool that TakaraTOMY give us the option to customise these toys according to our tastes and spoiling us for choice.

The way i see it with the accessories is they should be included. They went to the effort of engineering amazing articulation why not add the accessories. They just add so much play value to the toy. What better way to take advantage of the articulation by giving him a different expression or 2 guns or a fire hose or blue print etc. So much fun.

The thing with the shoulder cannons is its not like TT officially sell them separately. And i mean we're already paying a premium price can you not just include 2 pieces of plastic so i can complete the look. Make some other exclusive accessory if they have to.

I never collected the comics and it looks like the art work and comics were never consistent anyway. I dunno. I assume most G1 fans would associate the G1 look to the G1 cartoon which was generally basic looking.

I like that they made two helmets for Inferno, based on the two designs in the cartoon. That i feel is going the extra mile and showing TT understands the audience. The audience being G1 geeks who are sometimes very anal about these things lol. But such a nice touch anyway.

GoktimusPrime
21st January 2017, 08:56 PM
The thing with the shoulder cannons is its not like TT officially sell them separately. And i mean we're already paying a premium price can you not just include 2 pieces of plastic so i can complete the look. Make some other exclusive accessory if they have to.
MP Prowl and Streak retailed for 6090JPY* (AU$70; a few dollars less than this as the AUD was stronger at the time), making them about $30 cheaper than Leader Class toys like Titans Return Blaster etc. I think that's amazing value without the extra launcher!

Anyway, the default in-built launchers are more cartoon-accurate, which I thought was what you preferred anyway. :o The bonus launchers are based on the G1 toy. Also, the additional launcher was something included by Amazon JP and Hasbro Hong Kong; it was never a standard feature of this toy, even in Japan (unless ordered from Amazon).

I never collected the comics and it looks like the art work and comics were never consistent anyway. I dunno. I assume most G1 fans would associate the G1 look to the G1 cartoon which was generally basic looking.
Most G1 fans probably do have a bias towards the G1 cartoon, which is what TakaraTOMY is capitalising on. So I don't blame them for doing that. They are giving the majority of collectors what they want. :) At the end of the day, if I want to play with a perfectly G1 toy-accurate Inferno, I'll play with my G1 Inferno toy! :D Whereas you can't play with a cartoon, so I think it's really good that these MPs are finally giving us physical manifestations of what we saw on the TV show. :) And sometimes TakaraTOMY do give us toy and comic-accurate accessories or variants for fans of G1 beyond the cartoon, e.g.:
+ Prowl/Bluestreak's toy-accurate launchers (most likely limited exclusives as most fans prefer show-accuracy, so these accessories are catering for a minority)
+ MP Bumblebee's toy-accurate mask
+ G2 Bumblebee
+ G2 Sideswipe; base retool & bonus accessories are comic-accurate (Manny Galen) with toy-accurate stickers included
+ Toy-accurate heads embedded in chests of MP Ironhide and Ratchet
+ MP Grimlock's eyes able to switch between G1-accurate red or cartoon-accurate blue
+ Variant MP Grimlock with Marvel US (Nel Yomtov) accurate colours and "King Grimlock" crown (which was only ever in the comics; cartoon Grimlock only once referred to himself as a king, but comic Grimlock actually pronounced himself as king and even wore a crown!)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*This was the RRP set by TakaraTOMY. Whether retailers choose to charge above or under this price is the decision of those retailers, not TakaraTOMY. Many of us paid <RRP due to early bird preorder prices. :)

drifand
12th June 2017, 02:12 PM
Opened this fella,

and okay, it is better than my expectations. I didn't like this guy from start because I was kinda of sick of red bots at one point.

Surprisingly, I am enjoying this toy over MP-36, not just at price point but just the joy of transforming without over complicating and stressful breakage.

I am actually scoring this a 8/10 due to the amount of extras they thrown in.
If anything this deserves the long life award over Megatron.

Jellico
12th June 2017, 04:22 PM
Surprisingly, I am enjoying this toy over MP-36, not just at price point but just the joy of transforming without over complicating and stressful breakage.

Watch the shoulders. They have over complicated twisting and turning breakage point written all over them.
Odd considering how much was lifted from the original toy and how the arms are left hanging out there.

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2017, 06:40 PM
Was a poll recently added to this thread or was it there all along? :confused:
Cos I just voted on it now, and there's only one other vote cast. I voted for "Yes," I think this toy is worth it. Surely there are more people with thoughts on this toy.

drifand
14th June 2017, 10:42 AM
I agree with Jellico on the arms. However I don't fear as much as transforming Megatron.

I just opened Grapple, no its not from PC.
There are surprising better paint on Inferno than Grapple imo.

Now, should I vote Yes? For $165, it is a bit on pricey but again I think is okay.

Bumbleb33
2nd August 2017, 01:01 PM
Absolutely amazing in hand, perfect balance between design, engineering ingenuity and poseability!

I was blown away by how intuitive the transformation was, fantastic fig, must buy!

drifand
2nd August 2017, 04:19 PM
Absolutely amazing in hand, perfect balance between design, engineering ingenuity and poseability!

I was blown away by how intuitive the transformation was, fantastic fig, must buy!

I agree, the only thing which was a bit of concern was the arm joint. But I have to say it was hands down more fun than Megatron.