PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

SharkyMcShark
24th January 2017, 09:23 AM
The title has been officially rolled out so Im claiming ownership of this thread.

Raider
24th January 2017, 09:43 AM
The title has been officially rolled out so Im claiming ownership of this thread.

Lol.

Just saw an interview with Mark Hamill asking for his comments on the name. Naturally he was very cautious to ensure that he gave nothing away. Video found here (http://www.smh.com.au/video/video-entertainment/video-entertainment-news/mark-hamill-on-new-istar-warsi-title-20170123-4ppgd.html).

Not sure if I like the name. It goes back to the notion that there is only one Jedi remaining and that is Luke who is the last (my interpretation). What about other Jedi? We know a few escaped the purge and even some took up apprentices (ie Star Wars Rebels) so why is Luke (or perhaps it is Rey) the last?

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2017, 11:14 AM
Not sure if I like the name. It goes back to the notion that there is only one Jedi remaining and that is Luke who is the last (my interpretation). What about other Jedi? We know a few escaped the purge and even some took up apprentices (ie Star Wars Rebels) so why is Luke (or perhaps it is Rey) the last?
The original trilogy implied that none of the Jedi had survived the purge. Ignoring expanded canon from books, comics, TV shows etc. and looking purely at the cinematic continuity, the movies tell us that none of the Jedi survived the purge, and that the Skywalker twins were the last hope for the Jedi.

"Now the Jedi are all but extinct." - Obi-Wan Kenobi (A New Hope)
"Luke... when gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be." - Yoda (Return of the Jedi)
"He was training a new generation of Jedi. One boy, an apprentice, turned against him, destroyed it all." - Han Solo (The Force Awakens)

It also makes the stakes far higher... it explains why both sides invested so many resources and time to search for Luke, as he was literally the last of the Jedi. Neither side did a sweep to find any more surviving Jedi, just Luke.

This is why I've actually come to prefer the new rebooted cinematic continuity that Rogue One established where the theft of the Death Star plans and beginnings of the Rebellion had nothing to do with any Jedi or Sith (beyond Vader) - no inquisitors, no Kyle Katarn, no Galen Marek etc. It also helps to reinforce the idea that Force sensitive beings are exceptionally rare in the universe. Even at the height of the Jedi Order there were only 10,000 odd Jedi (in a galactic population of gazillions). The Republic had to build a Clone army because the rarity of Force sensitives meant that there was no way that Jedi could fight a war on their own; as Qui Gon Jinn said, "We're keepers of the peace, not soldiers." And characters like Chirrut Imwe and Maz Kanata showed us that not just any Force sensitive being could become Jedi, you had to be exceptionally Force sensitive. Chirrut and Maz had lower levels of Force affinity, but not enough to be trained as Jedi. Think of the idea of finding a Force sensitive as being akin to finding a non-Caucasian person with naturally red hair. It does happen, but it's incredibly rare (considering that only 2-6% of people of north-western European ancestry have red hair, you can imagine how much rarer it must be in other ethnicities). And if there were some horrible government that decided to commit genocide against non-Caucasian gingers... :p

We all know that the Jedi were based on the Samurai, and at their height the Samurai only comprised 10% of the population of feudal Japan. Finding anyone with Samurai ancestry today is rare... finding someone with pure Samurai ancestry -- I've never come across such a person (meeting someone with partial Samurai ancestry is exciting enough :p).

So yeah, I personally like the title as I feel that it's more inline with the pure cinematic universe's take on the Jedi, ignoring anything from outside the films. I know that a lot of the extra material like Rebels show are officially sanctioned canon, but I'm just looking at the continuity that the general public would be more familiar with. :o

kup
24th January 2017, 01:40 PM
It may just be a title and not intended to be literal canonical truth. Rogue One showed that Rebels is very much cinematic canon. We saw the hammer head corvettes that Leia 'liberated' for the rebels in the Rogue One final battle along with the Ghost and Chopper at Yavin.

Paulbot
24th January 2017, 02:17 PM
It's being pointed out a lot online that the word Jedi can be used as a plural, so "The Last Jedi" doesn't actually mean there's only one (the way that "The Last of the Jedi" might).

Raider
24th January 2017, 04:01 PM
It may just be a title and not intended to be literal canonical truth. Rogue One showed that Rebels is very much cinematic canon. We saw the hammer head corvettes that Leia 'liberated' for the rebels in the Rogue One final battle along with the Ghost and Chopper at Yavin.

Don't forget that they actually had a louder speaker on Yavin IV asking General Syndulla (is Hera is around from Rebels and has a promotion!) to report in.

I just tend to think that given the likes of Kanan, Ezra and Ahsoka being around in Rebels, there must be other Jedi around as well.

I always took Yoda's words to mean that Luke was the only one who could stop Vadar because he was Vadar's son and he could convince Anakin to bring balance back to the Force.

It's being pointed out a lot online that the word Jedi can be used as a plural, so "The Last Jedi" doesn't actually mean there's only one (the way that "The Last of the Jedi" might).

Solid point. My gut feeling though is that it will be Luke training Rey and Luke will fight Kylo and go out Obi-Wan style, making Rey "the last Jedi".

Sinnertwin
24th January 2017, 04:04 PM

I'm with this. ^

Nute Gunray: And the Jedi?
Darth Sidious: The Chancellor should never have brought them into this. Kill them immediately!

drifand
24th January 2017, 04:31 PM
Or it can simply mean Skywalker dies, new jedi is brought in this episode.
Regardless, just watch it lol.

Megatran
24th January 2017, 05:00 PM
The movie title is a flagrant plagiarism to this year's TF movie: The Last Knight.

philby
24th January 2017, 07:31 PM
, no Kyle Katarn

http://i.imgur.com/Va15Yw1.png

GoktimusPrime
24th January 2017, 08:27 PM
Rogue One showed that Rebels is very much cinematic canon. We saw the hammer head corvettes that Leia 'liberated' for the rebels in the Rogue One final battle along with the Ghost and Chopper at Yavin.
I'm not saying that it's non-canonical, but I'm saying that from the POV of the general Mundaner (non-nerd folk) audience's POV who don't watch things like Rebels, these elements don't mean anything to them.

This is a fair point. If Luke has been training Rey, then it means that there are at the very least two Jedi in existence. :)

The movie title is a flagrant plagiarism to this year's TF movie: The Last Knight.
But the Last Jedi won't suck nearly as much as the Last Knight. None of the Star Wars cinematic movies suck like the Transformers movies do. None of them.
<insert.1000.word.explanation>

Sinnertwin
24th January 2017, 08:55 PM
But the Last Jedi won't suck nearly as much as the Last Knight. None of the Star Wars cinematic movies suck like the Transformers movies do. None of them.
<insert.1000.word.explanation>

Oh, pish posh. :p I'd much rather watch a LAM over TFA & the prequels any day of the week

DaptoDog
24th January 2017, 11:11 PM
Hollywood is struggling for unique names.

First we had The Dark Knight.

Then The Last Knight.

Now The Last Jedi.

Next The Jedi Knight? The Dark Jedi?

Edit: Sorry I plagiarised your point Megatran. The irony lol. :D

SharkyMcShark
27th January 2017, 01:33 PM
Allegedly the titles of the new saga movies go together

THE FORCE AWAKENS THE LAST JEDI

Sinnertwin
28th January 2017, 03:45 PM
Allegedly the titles of the new saga movies go together

THE FORCE AWAKENS THE LAST JEDI

What could the last movie be called?!?
This is all too much

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2017, 03:56 PM
What could the last movie be called?!?
This is all too much
The popular theory atm is "FROM HIS NAP." Now put all the Sequel titles together... ;)

Sinnertwin
28th January 2017, 03:59 PM
Star Wars Episode IX

FROM HIS NAP

*cue Star Wars Theme and Title Crawl*

:D

Trent
28th January 2017, 04:07 PM
Oh, pish posh. :p I'd much rather watch a LAM over TFA & the prequels any day of the week

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc88/Wrxus/BAC997E2-7998-4E14-9786-603892FE0DAB.jpg

TFA is a good movie. Predictable, unoriginal and pandering, but good.

Sinnertwin
28th January 2017, 10:09 PM
TFA is a good movie. Predictable, unoriginal and pandering, but good.

http://i1335.photobucket.com/albums/w661/sinnertwinsphotos/878_zpsrssleb1b.gif (http://s1335.photobucket.com/user/sinnertwinsphotos/media/878_zpsrssleb1b.gif.html)

No. (-_-)

Meister
28th January 2017, 11:03 PM
I'm curious to know what the red Star Wars logo is supposed to imply?

As for the name, it's cool and all, but to be honest it does seem a bit lazy to me, I mean in respect of the saga, the Jedi did just "return" one instalment ago...

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for a teaser now

philby
3rd February 2017, 02:19 PM
Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for a teaser now

Super bowl?

Darth_Malificent
8th February 2017, 04:25 AM
I think it will be at Celebration Orlando in April...

Meister
15th April 2017, 10:53 AM
Teaser has been released

https://youtu.be/zB4I68XVPzQ

Meister
10th October 2017, 01:16 PM
Trailer has just been released

https://youtu.be/Q0CbN8sfihY

philby
10th October 2017, 09:19 PM
watched it 3 times on my break at work today. HOLY CRAP :eek:

Jetfire in the sky
11th October 2017, 10:41 AM
I think the trailer is throwing some swerves up with some smart cuts that imply something is happening when it may not be.
To use a wrestling term there may be a double turn coming, Rey to heel and Ren to face. I hope we get some serious character development with Rey.

Also just to follow up on the earlier posts IRT the title, the opening crawl of Ep 7 actually says that Luke is the last Jedi.

philby
11th October 2017, 01:22 PM
Oh for sure there could be a few red herrings and misdirection and making you assume things but i guess if the objective is to make people talk about it and get interested in the movie then i reckon mission accomplished.

I will start 😂
Is Snoke talking to Rey or Kylo in the voice over at the beginning???

griffin
11th October 2017, 05:56 PM
Now that Carrie Fisher is dead, I don't know if we will end up ever seeing her using any Force powers. Like, if Luke was killed off in this one, it would make for a great tragic climactic moment to have mum (the last of the old generation of Jedi) fight and defeat her son, just to save the galaxy from another "Vader".

I always wanted to see her use the Force, or a lightsaber duel... because even though it was implied that she was also strong with the Force, she only really ever displayed a very minimal Force sensitivity (sensing where Luke was under Bespin).
That blind guy in Rogue One, who was said to "only" be force sensitive, but not a Jedi, showed stronger connection to the Force than Leia did.

Maybe that line by Yoda in ESB that "no, there is another", is being retconned to refer to someone other than Leia, because it was never verified or backed up that he was referring to Leia... Obi Wan and Luke just ran with the assumption that he was talking about Leia.
Since the Star Wars Rebels cartoon looks to be considered officially part of the movie universe (not all Star Wars cartoons have been), could Yoda's line in ESB now be made to refer to Ezra or Kanan (if either of them survive this final season)... and then have them pop up in Ep 8 or 9 "in the flesh". (I think if that happened, there would be a bigger outcry by old timer fans and trolls, than there was against Jar Jar... as the cartoon would be dismissed as being of a lower, younger standard - which is hard for us transfans to probably understand, as we only ever had cartoons, so if there was ever a cartoon series set in the Movie universe, it probably wouldn't bother too many fans.)

The Rebels cartoon has been really fun to watch, as it is set just before Episode 4 (and there are easter eggs of their ship showing up in some scenes of the Rogue One movie)... but just like Rogue One, you know that it can't end well, or else, where were they during Ep 4 to 6 when the Rebellion could have used an extra Jedi or two (obviously they weren't created at that time... but it will be hard to say that they were around all that time).

SharkyMcShark
11th October 2017, 07:53 PM
Now that Carrie Fisher is dead, I don't know if we will end up ever seeing her using any Force powers. Like, if Luke was killed off in this one, it would make for a great tragic climactic moment to have mum (the last of the old generation of Jedi) fight and defeat her son, just to save the galaxy from another "Vader".

I always wanted to see her use the Force, or a lightsaber duel... because even though it was implied that she was also strong with the Force, she only really ever displayed a very minimal Force sensitivity (sensing where Luke was under Bespin).
That blind guy in Rogue One, who was said to "only" be force sensitive, but not a Jedi, showed stronger connection to the Force than Leia did.

Maybe that line by Yoda in ESB that "no, there is another", is being retconned to refer to someone other than Leia, because it was never verified or backed up that he was referring to Leia... Obi Wan and Luke just ran with the assumption that he was talking about Leia.
Since the Star Wars Rebels cartoon looks to be considered officially part of the movie universe (not all Star Wars cartoons have been), could Yoda's line in ESB now be made to refer to Ezra or Kanan (if either of them survive this final season)... and then have them pop up in Ep 8 or 9 "in the flesh". (I think if that happened, there would be a bigger outcry by old timer fans and trolls, than there was against Jar Jar... as the cartoon would be dismissed as being of a lower, younger standard - which is hard for us transfans to probably understand, as we only ever had cartoons, so if there was ever a cartoon series set in the Movie universe, it probably wouldn't bother too many fans.)

The Rebels cartoon has been really fun to watch, as it is set just before Episode 4 (and there are easter eggs of their ship showing up in some scenes of the Rogue One movie)... but just like Rogue One, you know that it can't end well, or else, where were they during Ep 4 to 6 when the Rebellion could have used an extra Jedi or two (obviously they weren't created at that time... but it will be hard to say that they were around all that time).

As I understand it, the recent From a Certain Point of View anthology novel has it such that Yoda felt that Leia had a stronger connection to the Force than Luke and wanted to train her instead of him.

Everything Star Wars related is now managed by a story group and the official line is that everything in the books is to be considered canon (bold, I know) so I feel like they may be winding up for some Leia Force action in TLJ.

SharkyMcShark
5th December 2017, 07:58 PM
Anyone else doing a midnight screening for this? Or am I alone in my sadness and desperation there?

ILikeSoundwave
5th December 2017, 08:30 PM
Anyone else doing a midnight screening for this? Or am I alone in my sadness and desperation there?

Yep. Going with a few friends. We're also seeing The Force Awakens again as Event Cinemas are having screenings at 9pm.

philby
5th December 2017, 08:32 PM
Yep doing midnight again, at crown in Melbourne. Also going to watch force awakens with the orchestra this weekend which hopefully will be cool!

ILikeSoundwave
5th December 2017, 08:36 PM
Yep doing midnight again, at crown in Melbourne. Also going to watch force awakens with the orchestra this weekend which hopefully will be cool!

If only they would come to Sydney as well :(

klystron
6th December 2017, 09:19 PM

Nah, I'm tragic enough to be going as well.
United cinemas in Rockingham are showing The Force Awakens before the midnight premiere. Double header! Woohoo!

drifand
7th December 2017, 02:45 PM
This is a tricky one. Watching too early is sometimes spoiled by fans clapping etc. watching late you be told about the shocking truth.

Hmm.. and school holidays doesn't help.

VERT
7th December 2017, 05:02 PM
Im going first thing thurs morning. Then with my family on friday.

shockNwave
7th December 2017, 08:37 PM
Recently got my ticket to see The Last Jedi on Saturday morning and then I'm going to the city to celebrate by playing Star Wars Battle Pod. From the battle of Yavin (easy) all the way to Vader's Revenge (extreme), I'm going to be pumping credits into it.:D

drifand
9th December 2017, 02:52 AM
And the shocking ending is! I think I guessed it.
I am waiting to see

SharkyMcShark
10th December 2017, 10:50 PM
Just finished watching all 8 existing Star Wars films with my girlfriend. Hype is maximum.