PDA

View Full Version : Movie megatron worth buying if it were done like this.

griffin
12th October 2008, 06:48 PM
This custom job apparently done by a Japanese fan, has the Leader sized Movie Megatron toy done as Gen1 Thunderwing, and just looks awesome!
Even I'd be happy to buy this mould again if done in this colour scheme. And it looks like some arm kibble is the only negative thing left that the colour doesn't hide.

http://www6.atpages.jp/transformers/g2/src/1223728309178.jpg

genechan
12th October 2008, 06:49 PM
D: The link won't work, it says forbidden D:

GoktimusPrime
12th October 2008, 08:00 PM
ditto

Pulse
12th October 2008, 08:27 PM
Griffin, is this it? :)

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn204/Pulse_Warrior/Random/Thunderwing.jpg

Soundwarp
12th October 2008, 08:28 PM
OMG i bet it is.......

dirge
12th October 2008, 08:42 PM
Instead, Hasbro come up with a toy with ice coloured like fire.

loophole
12th October 2008, 08:46 PM
there needs to be drool emote:D

GoktimusPrime
12th October 2008, 08:47 PM
Heheh, movie Thunderwing. :)

dirge
12th October 2008, 09:01 PM
Heheh, movie Thunderwing. :)

Complete with corrupted cube :D

SilverDragon
12th October 2008, 09:03 PM
That is seriously impressive.

Golden Phoenix
12th October 2008, 10:43 PM
Looks awesome. Any pictures of the alt mode.
I reckon it would be a cool mod to add the 3rd ultra mode from the Stormbringer series

Even I'd be happy to buy this mould again if done in this colour scheme.

SSHHHHHH!!! Don't give them ideas! They will do a half ass job of it.

STL
12th October 2008, 11:07 PM
Looks awesome. Any pictures of the alt mode.
I reckon it would be a cool mod to add the 3rd ultra mode from the Stormbringer series

SSHHHHHH!!! Don't give them ideas! They will do a half ass job of it.

Crap mother of moley! LCZ128!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saintly
13th October 2008, 08:41 AM
looks like movie megs has got an evil smile with that colour scheme!

Bartrim
13th October 2008, 08:49 AM
That looks awesome. If they released a new Thunderwing looking like that I would have to pick it up.

i_amtrunks
13th October 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm sure Hasbro could make that colour scheme look terrible.

It sure does improve what is possibly the weakest figure released in the last 5 years.

Pulse
13th October 2008, 12:32 PM
Do you think Hasbro are even aware of customs like this?

GoktimusPrime
13th October 2008, 08:28 PM
"No." (-_-)

Customs based on existing TF characters and their likenesses is technically a copyright infringement and violation against Hasbro's intellectual property.

You are allowed to kitbash a toy to make a whole new character/creation of your own original design, like say the Citroën C4 "Transformer" (Citroën has never used the word "Transformer" with their C4 transforming robot) - Hasbro has no claim over that transforming robot as it bears no resemblance to any existing Transformer character. Ditto the transforming Mini Cooper robot.

http://greatdance.com/danceblog/archives/images/citroen.jpghttp://nxtbot.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/citroenc4.jpg

Thunderwing on the other hand is Hasbro's intellectual property and one could perhaps argue that this custom, being a mere unmodified repaint, is too similar to movie Megatron too (so it's simultaneously infringing on two of Hasbro's properties).

Thanatos
13th October 2008, 10:39 PM
Still, in terms of "display" and for personal enjoyment, stuff like that can't be copyright infringement right? Say somebody makes this Thunderwing, purely not for profit. Does that constitute copyright infringement?

I'm not sure what the laws are. I'm pretty out of track with those.

Still, awesome custom. Shame the Stormbringer series made Thunderwing so badass, I can't stand G1 Thunderwing :P

1orion2many
13th October 2008, 10:53 PM
:)The colour scheme is a lot better but it's still the same crap mold and you know the saying "You can't polish a terd":p:D.

jacksplatt11
13th October 2008, 11:02 PM
"You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig" haha

Pulse
13th October 2008, 11:16 PM

Now you've gone & made me wanna watch Letterman, Leno or Conan... :D

ChlorHex
14th October 2008, 12:02 AM
but i like that "pig"... suits the sculpt IMO.
much better than calling it Megs :D

GoktimusPrime
14th October 2008, 10:30 AM
Still, in terms of "display" and for personal enjoyment, stuff like that can't be copyright infringement right? Say somebody makes this Thunderwing, purely not for profit. Does that constitute copyright infringement?

I'm not sure what the laws are. I'm pretty out of track with those.
I think it's only an infringement if you try to sell it - because then it's seen as an attempt to make money from Hasbro's stolen intellectual property. afaik you can make customs for your own personal enjoyment and give them away to other people as gifts or what not... but you're not allowed to make any sales from them. If you do then you're falling under the same category as people who make and sell knock-offs.

griffin
14th October 2008, 10:41 AM
Do you think Hasbro are even aware of customs like this?

Since this wasn't actually answered in the above posting. I think it is safe to assume that with all the monitoring and interaction Hasbro does with certain fan-sites, they would be aware of certain high-profile customs. At least the design team would, as they go to Botcon and see the art displays, and talk to people on major fan forums and wiki.
They wouldn't have any interest in actively looking for customs, specifically to make sure they have 'plausible deniability' if they ever did do a recolour that could have been inspired by a fan-custom.
But as Goktimus said, customs, if sold, are illegal if they are labelled as 'Transformers' or use the character name they are representing (if Hasbro still owns the trademark). When the current BotCon mob became official, they had to do up a lot of fine print for their art-comps to get Hasbro approval.

Pulse
14th October 2008, 02:14 PM
I guess there's a fair bit of a difference between a straight repaint (ala. Movie Megs into Thunderwing) & scratchbuilds involving lots of styrene (eg. Anemis' work (http://www.marksprojects.com/trailer.htm)).

Where as a straight repaint has Hasbro's product as its core, A styrene-based scratchbuild can't really be compared to an original Hasbro figure at all (sure the inspiration is there but the final completed figure is a one-of-a-kind original :)).

GoktimusPrime
14th October 2008, 06:20 PM
Doesn't matter. Transformer characters including their names, images and even likenesses are intellectual property of Hasbro/Takara. If you made a scratch built garage kit of a Transformer you would still be infringing upon their property.

That's why other garage kits like Jizai Toy's MP Megatron extension and the HKTF Ultra Magnus trailer intentionally avoid using any Transformer names, logos, images etc. For example the Ultra Magnus trailer garage kit is called "City Commander." The word "Transformers" or "Ultra Magnus" etc. are not used anywhere in the packaging afaik. It's basically a garage kit toy that happens to be compatible with Classics Ultra Magnus. Ditto the Jizai MP Megatron extension set - no TF names, logos etc. used, it's a MP-Megatron compatible garage kit. Garage kit makers do this to get around the legality of making unofficial accessories for existing Transformer toys that they intend to sell to people, lest they have HasTak lawyers knocking at their door.

jaydisc
14th October 2008, 10:58 PM
I think it's only an infringement if you try to sell it - because then it's seen as an attempt to make money from Hasbro's stolen intellectual property. afaik you can make customs for your own personal enjoyment and give them away to other people as gifts or what not... but you're not allowed to make any sales from them. If you do then you're falling under the same category as people who make and sell knock-offs.

I disagree. There are lots of car tuning companies that do this, i.e. Brabus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brabus) buys Mercedes, modifies them, and then stick their own badge on it.

+1

EDIT: Let me clarify. Using Hasbro's trademarks (character names, the word TF, etc.) would definitely be infringement, but simply making and reselling customs of Hasbro products would not be.

Pulse
14th October 2008, 11:30 PM
EDIT: Let me clarify. Using Hasbro's trademarks (character names, the word TF, etc.) would definitely be infringement, but simply making and reselling customs of Hasbro products would not be.

I'm guessing that's why people like Jin Saotome haven't gotten into trouble :).
(Although I've noticed that he's recently been using his real name in his photos instead of Jin (http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/jin-saotome_W0QQ_nkwZQQ_armrsZ1QQ_fromZQQ_mdoZ)... *shrugs*)

Paulbot
15th October 2008, 08:58 AM
As far as I'm aware Hasbro has never made a statement about Custom Transformers. They have however made a statement about Custom GI Joe toys.

Hasbro Provides Customizing Guidelines to Collectors

Dear Fans and Customizers, The G.I. JOE team would like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the customizing community and the incredible creativity and passion that goes into each one of your projects. We are continually impressed by your work.

The customizing community ranges from those who work with product to those who customize packages and artwork. There has recently been some confusion as to what constitutes the legal resale of customized product and what constitutes trademark infringement. The following guidelines for using Hasbro trademarks should provide some clarity.

1. Hasbro encourages the customizing of individual figures for personal usage, and can be resold as one-of-a-kind, out-of-package figures.
2. All Hasbro artwork, such as card art, cannot be reprinted without permission from Hasbro. These assets contain Hasbro-owned trademarks and logos, and cannot be sold or reproduced without Hasbro’s permission
3. Hasbro owned trademarks such as character names and the GI Joe brand name cannot be used without written permission from Hasbro.

As we look to the future of the G.I. JOE franchise, we want to ensure that the customizing community can thrive while Hasbro continues to protect the brand that it has spent the last 45 years creating. Hasbro will become more aggressive in the legal pursuit of counterfeit product that is being sold in all channels. We appreciate your cooperation with this matter.

http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/default.cfm?page=News/Item&newsid=EF50BB4F-D56F-E112-48A85C51782405B1

If we assume Hasbro's policy for custom versions of their toys is consistent across the toylines then selling custom TFs is fine as long as they are not sold in TF packaging, with TF trademarks or with any TF artwork.

Using a name like "Thunderwing" would not be allowed but colouring a toy in it's colours seems like more of a grey area.

TheDirtyDigger
15th October 2008, 09:23 AM
That does look awesome. Really looks like a professional paintjob. Personally I like the Movie Megatron mould and seeing it in Thunderwing's colours is even better. Stormbringer is probably my most enjoyed IDW collection so far so I would definitely buy this for the character were it available.

On the off topic...people do customs all the time and name them with who they intend to portray.

Examples...

Custom Sideswipe (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformer-Alternators-Custom-Sideswipe-COMPLETE-w-box_W0QQitemZ140274840575QQihZ004QQcategoryZ124242 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Custom Quintesson (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/UNIVERSE-CUSTOM-TRANSFORMERS-QUINTESSON-QUINT-02-MISB_W0QQitemZ250308609072QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4696Q QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em122)

Custom Ironhide (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Transformers-Masterpiece-Ironhide-custom_W0QQitemZ330277362533QQihZ014QQcategoryZ469 6QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

GoktimusPrime
15th October 2008, 10:20 AM
jaydisc: Perhaps copyright laws for automobiles would differ for copyright laws on toys.

If we assume Hasbro's policy for custom versions of their toys is consistent across the toylines then selling custom TFs is fine as long as they are not sold in TF packaging, with TF trademarks or with any TF artwork.

Using a name like "Thunderwing" would not be allowed but colouring a toy in it's colours seems like more of a grey area.
*nods* Hence why the Classics Magnus trailer garage kit was called "City Commander."

people do customs all the time and name them with who they intend to portray.
Yes, but if you sold the customs with TF names then it is a violation of copyright laws. People do it, but it doesn't mean it's right (after all, people do manufacture and sell KOs too, and that's definitely illegal).

jaydisc
15th October 2008, 12:58 PM
jaydisc: Perhaps copyright laws for automobiles would differ for copyright laws on toys.

Copying someone else's product is a copyright violation. Purchasing, optionally modifying, and reselling a product has nothing to do with copyright, whether it be a car or a toy. This is not analogous to a KO manufacturer whom is copying the product.

You don't license a toy from Hasbro, like you do a music recording or a piece of software. You purchase it and own it. You don't own the rights to reproduce it, but once you own it, the seller (in this case Hasbro) has no legal ability to dictate what you do with it, granted you don't infringe on their trademarks in the process.

Otherwise, based on what you're saying, if you wanted to sell a second hand Transformer, you couldn't refer to it as a Transformer.

Saintly
15th October 2008, 01:12 PM
Copying someone else's product is a copyright violation. Purchasing, optionally modifying, and reselling a product has nothing to do with copyright, whether it be a car or a toy. This is not analogous to a KO manufacturer whom is copying the product.

You don't license a toy from Hasbro, like you do a music recording or a piece of software. You purchase it and own it. You don't own the rights to reproduce it, but once you own it, the seller (in this case Hasbro) has no legal ability to dictate what you do with it, granted you don't infringe on their trademarks in the process.

Otherwise, based on what you're saying, if you wanted to sell a second hand Transformer, you couldn't refer to it as a Transformer.

With cars, if you modify the car and using JD's example of Brabus buying Mercs. Once it is modified, Brabus can no longer sell it as a Merc but a Brabus. You can't even attached "Merc" in the name.

Similarly modifying an artwork, you would be modifying the design and hence would be illegal for sale. It is the case with Ferrari (apparently they are consider a work of art), therefore in the contract of sale... it does read you are not allow to modify it.

GoktimusPrime
15th October 2008, 06:48 PM
Don't forget that this isn't just about copyright over toys, it's also about copyright over a character, that character's name, likeness etc.

I once read an article once in a toy magazine where they explained that if you scratch-built say a Batman toy and sold it that it was a copyright infringement because the Batman character, name and likeness is property of DC. Likewise "Thunderwing", his likeness and name are the intellectual property of Hasbro Inc. - so technically I think if you make a garage kit based on Thunderwing, and particularly if you actually call it Thunderwing and use any TF logos (e.g.: Decepticon insignia) then you could be in violation.

Again, this is why FansProject named their Ultra Magnus mod City Commander (and I've recently noticed that they have a black version for Nemesis Prime called "Shadow Commander (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=FPJ10002&mode=retail)").

...that's my understanding of it anyway. It's probably largely dependent on the nature of the custom.

I said nothing of the sort. I only said that, as I understand it, it may be an infringement to sell a custom based on an existing Transformer character - with the character (incl. name, likeness etc.) being HasTak's intellectual property.

There's a substantial difference between say purchasing MP Starscream then selling it second hand, and buying MP Starscream then repainting and selling it as MP Thundercracker.

dirge
15th October 2008, 06:54 PM

Fine, but modifying it to mimic an existing Hasbro product (in this case, Thunderwing) may infringe on those trademarks. Only if you sell it - you're not trading otherwise.

You're not passing anything off as your own work there - and I don't see how you think Goktimus is making that claim.

jaydisc
15th October 2008, 07:02 PM
This is the comment that throws me:

Thunderwing on the other hand is Hasbro's intellectual property and one could perhaps argue that this custom, being a mere unmodified repaint, is too similar to movie Megatron too (so it's simultaneously infringing on two of Hasbro's properties).

I read this as Gok saying that there would be two infringements with this custom:

1. The infringement of using the potentially trademarked name and likeness of "Thunderwing"

2. The infringement of the fact that selling a modified Megatron is too similar too... Megatron.

The first I agree with:

granted you don't infringe on their trademarks in the process.

The second is the point I'm disagree with, granted I interpreted it correctly.

My point rephrased: There is nothing infringing about the act of selling a repainted or modified toy.

Addendum: I also believe that in this case, the seller could continue to use the terms Megatron and Transformer without infringing.