PDA

View Full Version : Masterpiece Beast Wars Dinobot

Tober
19th February 2017, 02:11 PM
Source from TFW 2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/takaratomy-masterpiece-dinobot.1099935/)

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/vox_3EY_zpsckzg1rr1.jpg (http://s273.photobucket.com/user/AUST_Tober/media/vox_3EY_zpsckzg1rr1.jpg.html)

Ploughmans Lunch
19th February 2017, 02:34 PM
SCOOP!

llamatron
19th February 2017, 02:37 PM
MP Scoop? :P

Shirokaze
19th February 2017, 02:53 PM
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES!! :eek:

Verno
19th February 2017, 02:53 PM
So, today was shaping up pretty well for Beast Wars fans.

First, we got the news that Optimus Primal had won the POwer of the Primes fan poll, which means he'll be introduced into the comics shortly and receive a Generations figure.

Then, Rhinox featured in the trailer for the upcoming Forged to Fight game.

And Megatron is set to receive a statue from Prime 1 Studio.

That was a damn good day in and of itself. But then. It was announced.

I literally couldn't get words out. All I could do was fist pump. My girlfriend thought I was having some kind of attack.

Beyond pumped for this!

doublespy
19th February 2017, 05:10 PM
I'll get two.:D

More BW MPs!

Tober
19th February 2017, 05:13 PM
Happy to see the MP BW line continuing, but it sure is slow. Averaging one new mold per year.

Lord_Zed
19th February 2017, 07:19 PM
Awesome news Dinobot was one I was really hoping for, Hope we Get Megatron next.

i_amtrunks
19th February 2017, 07:42 PM
Awesome news Dinobot was one I was really hoping for, Hope we Get Megatron next.

Redeco him into BW Grimlock? And....

This is excellent news, and an obvious next choice. Bring on MP Megatron (all forms) and MP Depth Charge in the next decade please.

FruitBuyer
19th February 2017, 08:29 PM

This is excellent news, and an obvious next choice. Bring on MP Megatron (all forms) and MP Depth Charge in the next decade please.

Keep talking......

XMan
19th February 2017, 08:39 PM
I wonder how big he will be - he always seemed to be one of the tallest characters.

Verno
19th February 2017, 08:59 PM
I wonder how big he will be - he always seemed to be one of the tallest characters.
Here's the scale chart we've put together based on observations from the show:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/season-1-scale-chart-jpg.27674496/

griffin
19th February 2017, 09:08 PM
Happy to see the MP BW line continuing, but it sure is slow. Averaging one new mold per year.

A bit like the original Masterpiece line... a slow release, making each one more exciting, so that we weren't overwhelmed with too many expensive collector figures in quick succession. (as it is, we look to have four released in a 12 month period if Dinobot comes out by Octoboer)

I'm happy to have these drawn out, as I don't think they will do too many as Masterpiece toys - probably the first five Maximals and three or four season one Predacons. It will prolong the focus on the Beast Wars universe, prompting homage toys in other toylines at the time (like Generations and any upcoming gimmick toylines in Japan).

I am disappointed that we didn't have Megatron be one of the first two, or at least one Predacon announced yet, as the first four are Maximals.

Tober
19th February 2017, 09:37 PM
A bit like the original Masterpiece line... a slow release, making each one more exciting, so that we weren't overwhelmed with too many expensive collector figures in quick succession. (as it is, we look to have four released in a 12 month period if Dinobot comes out by Octoboer)

I'm happy to have these drawn out, as I don't think they will do too many as Masterpiece toys - probably the first five Maximals and three or four season one Predacons. It will prolong the focus on the Beast Wars universe, prompting homage toys in other toylines at the time (like Generations and any upcoming gimmick toylines in Japan).

I am disappointed that we didn't have Megatron be one of the first two, or at least one Predacon announced yet, as the first four are Maximals.

Masterpiece was largely undefined 15 years ago. It had a clumsy start until the MP-10 renewal.

So even though we are now getting roughly a Masterpiece a month, it would still be nice to have more Beast Wars bots. Comparatively there aren't even that many of them, or 2007 movie bots.

But they are possibly blending Masterpiece in with the Generations Beast Wars for a renewal set... :confused:

MayzaPrime
20th February 2017, 10:41 AM
I am soooo happy about this... :D

1AZRAEL1
20th February 2017, 11:03 AM
I am waiting for more pictures. I do hope we see some soon

GoktimusPrime
20th February 2017, 02:15 PM
I'd love to see an MP BW Grimlock! But my bet would be on TakaraTOMY doing a toy-accurate redeco (e.g. mouthless face, mutant head, pink legs etc.) with individual numbering as they did w/ Beast Convoy. Bear in mind that BW Grimlock was never released in Japan (Takara instead retooled the Dinobot mould as Thrustor and Hardhead).

Jellico
20th February 2017, 03:14 PM
How many practical BW characters are there anyway?

Compare with G1 and its "cast of thousands", many of whom were repaints without considering Diaclone repaints, and the potential for comic book characters like Straxus or Windblade.

2 or 3 BW characters a year means that you chew through the prominent ones in a few years. Throw in 2 carbots with multiple repaints and a unique one like a Shockwave or Megatron and the year is looking pretty full and expensive.

SharkyMcShark
20th February 2017, 03:31 PM
If the transformation doesn't result in the actual beast head becoming the actual robot chest this can bog off as far as I'm concerned.

Bear in mind that BW Grimlock was never released in Japan (Takara instead retooled the Dinobot mould as Thrustor and Hardhead).

Even better than Grimlock - a cybernetic velociraptor. I can't think of many things more exciting.

MayzaPrime
20th February 2017, 04:00 PM
But my bet would be on TakaraTOMY doing a toy-accurate redeco (e.g. mouthless face, mutant head, pink legs etc.)

Pink legs??? Mine has gold legs... :confused:

GoktimusPrime
20th February 2017, 04:07 PM
Oops, I meant transparent orange (the feet are pink). Either way they're a far cry from Dinobot's show colours.

griffin
20th February 2017, 05:43 PM
Pink legs??? Mine has gold legs... :confused:

Nah, he's talking about Dinobot (not Grimlock, who has gold legs)... speculating that they would do a toy accurate redeco of Dinobot, like what they did with the Optimus Primal mould - cartoon version first, then toy deco.

Lord_Zed
20th February 2017, 07:19 PM

Don't forget Tarantuals and Inferno! ;)

If the transformation doesn't result in the actual beast head becoming the actual robot chest this can bog off as far as I'm concerned.

I'd expect to be disappointed then, given Cheetor and the show accuracy they are going for, unless they have invented morphing plastic.

VGMStudios
21st February 2017, 10:45 AM
I wonder if they will go into the transmetals. If so id love to see a Tigerhawk.

FruitBuyer
21st February 2017, 10:53 AM

Do you know how much this is an unreasonable request? The only way that can work is if you made the head incredibly disproportionate and ugly.

Bladestorm
21st February 2017, 07:25 PM
I like Beast Wars but I've held off collecting any of them however dinobot would definitely break that rule if/when he DOES come out as a MP.
He was always one of my favourite characters so he would be hard to resist if he's anywhere as good as the MP Primal release.

Sinnertwin
22nd February 2017, 09:23 AM
Glad you kids are having fun. :)
I'll be over here lamenting the fact that another bug has taken an MP spot. :(

laproblematique
22nd February 2017, 10:33 AM
Glad you kids are having fun. :)
I'll be over here lamenting the fact that another bug has taken an MP spot. :(

Poor you, you miss out on another repainted car. :p

FruitBuyer
22nd February 2017, 11:22 AM
Poor you, you miss out on another repainted car. :p

BUT MUH GEEWUN!!

GoktimusPrime
22nd February 2017, 11:32 AM
Just noticed something... last year we got MP Optimus Primal in the Year of the Monkey, and this year we may be getting MP Dinobot in the Year of the Chicken (dinosaurs = birds). Given that next year is the Year of the Dog, will we get an MP Silverbolt? :confused:

(yes, I know that K-9 would be a more suitable candidate, but MP moulds are obviously based on characters who appeared in the cartoons)

Bladestorm
22nd February 2017, 06:54 PM
Just noticed something... last year we got MP Optimus Primal in the Year of the Monkey, and this year we may be getting MP Dinobot in the Year of the Chicken (dinosaurs = birds). Given that next year is the Year of the Dog, will we get an MP Silverbolt? :confused:

(yes, I know that K-9 would be a more suitable candidate, but MP moulds are obviously based on characters who appeared in the cartoons)

If this was the case wouldn't it have been more logical for them to do Megatron since he turns into the ultimate therapod - a T-Rex ... which is also a distant ancestor of the bird. I would expect him to sell a little better than dinobot.

My daughter would be in heaven if they brought out an MP Silverbolt but I really think if they want to be balanced they need to bring out a Predacon to balance out the Maximals.

Lord_Zed
22nd February 2017, 08:18 PM

Does that mean we get Megatron and Terrosaur this year too? You know non turncoat MP Predacons :D

GoktimusPrime
22nd February 2017, 09:22 PM
Megatron would make sense, Terrorsaur not so much as Pterosaurs were actually reptiles not dinosaurs and thus not related to birds (let alone chickens).

Lord_Zed
23rd February 2017, 10:44 PM
Megatron would make sense, Terrorsaur not so much as Pterosaurs were actually reptiles not dinosaurs and thus not related to birds (let alone chickens).

Good point come to think of it shouldn't Silverbolt be released on the stroke of midnight New Years eve, being half bird?

Also Rattrap in 2020! but we have to wait till 2025 for Quickstrike. :(

GoktimusPrime
23rd February 2017, 11:20 PM
Good point come to think of it shouldn't Silverbolt be released on the stroke of midnight New Years eve, being half bird?
Not a bad idea! :D

Also Rattrap in 2020! but we have to wait till 2025 for Quickstrike. :(
Or they could release them sooner and rerelease them with New Year redecoes. They already do it now, but then at least the moulds would be relevant to that year's patron animal. I don't even know what this year's Year of the Chicken Transformer is... that's how little I pay attention to it since it bears bugger all relevance.

MEEEGGGAAATTTRRROOONNN!!!
24th February 2017, 12:03 AM
Does that mean we get Megatron and Terrosaur this year too? You know non turncoat MP Predacons :D

TT probably don't want to release two Megatrons in the same year even though they're from different storylines.

That said, we could get a BW Megatron reveal towards the end of the year, with release date set for next year.

Gouki
1st March 2017, 10:33 PM
Do you know how much this is an unreasonable request? The only way that can work is if you made the head incredibly disproportionate and ugly.

A Transformers fan being unreasonable? Surely you jest, good sir!

SharkyMcShark
2nd March 2017, 02:00 PM
Off topic, but I would absolutely love a Masterpiece Silverbolt.

DELTAprime
2nd March 2017, 10:12 PM

I'd love to see them tackle season 1 Blackarachnia. That would be a feat of toy engineering to make her screen accurate.

Lord_Zed
2nd March 2017, 10:47 PM
I'd love to see them tackle season 1 Blackarachnia. That would be a feat of toy engineering to make her screen accurate.

Although he'd be a totally different mold, I'd love to see a season 1 Tarantulas, with proper Tarantula Beast mode.

kurdt_the_goat
3rd March 2017, 06:11 PM
Although he'd be a totally different mold, I'd love to see a season 1 Tarantulas, with proper Tarantula Beast mode.

Just thinking about this... I hope they NEVER do that!
No way i can have a realistic thing sitting on my shelf, jesus.

Magnus
3rd March 2017, 06:58 PM

While that would be cool, I'm thinking that from an engineering or screen-accuracy point of view, it wouldn't be much of a leap to go from the original toy to a Masterpiece for season 2-3 Beast Wars characters, since the character models were already very toy-accurate and the toys themselves were very articulated.

I see Masterpiece toys as revisiting classic characters and giving them the benefit of updated engineering for better proportions or screen-accuracy. G1 characters definitely benefit, and season 1 Beast Wars characters are clearly benefiting from a screen-accuracy viewpoint. I'm just not so sure about season 2-3 characters - maybe some extra articulation?

I'm not saying it won't or shouldn't be done, I'm just wondering about the 'benefits' for those characters.

GoktimusPrime
3rd March 2017, 07:06 PM
^That's how I feel about all BW characters, really. I've yet to encounter a single updated BW figure, either CHUGUR or MP, which I considered to be - in relative terms - superior to the original BW figure. At best I find that they are on par. I got MP Beast Convoy but I didn't bother to pre-order Cheetor - I'm still really undecided on that figure. Having said that, I do agree that characters like Dinobot and Blackarachnia stand to benefit more from MP updates as their show models deviated more significantly from the toy. Moreso Blackarachnia than Dinobot. As you said, this isn't to say that TakaraTOMY shouldn't make 'em, but I personally don't feel the compulsion to go out and grab 'em as I do with G1-based MPs. :o

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Masterpiece%20Optimus%20Primal/mp_comparison_primal_prime_zps8cmn0ssk.jpg

Lord_Zed
6th March 2017, 08:58 PM
^That's how I feel about all BW characters, really. I've yet to encounter a single updated BW figure, either CHUGUR or MP, which I considered to be - in relative terms - superior to the original BW figure. At best I find that they are on par. I got MP Beast Convoy but I didn't bother to pre-order Cheetor - I'm still really undecided on that figure. Having said that, I do agree that characters like Dinobot and Blackarachnia stand to benefit more from MP updates as their show models deviated more significantly from the toy. Moreso Blackarachnia than Dinobot. As you said, this isn't to say that TakaraTOMY shouldn't make 'em, but I personally don't feel the compulsion to go out and grab 'em as I do with G1-based MPs. :o

I have to disagree based on MP Primal, in my opinion he hits all the MP requirements of presentation, design and articulation, calling him on par just does not do it justice. Perhaps BW's toys do not have as far to go, as there toys already had modern articulation and design, but it that was the sole criteria of an MP then the recent MP grapple and Inferno would be totally unnecessary as we already have modern CHUG equivalents for those characters, the MP's are more like premium versions.

While that would be cool, I'm thinking that from an engineering or screen-accuracy point of view, it wouldn't be much of a leap to go from the original toy to a Masterpiece for season 2-3 Beast Wars characters, since the character models were already very toy-accurate and the toys themselves were very articulated.

I see Masterpiece toys as revisiting classic characters and giving them the benefit of updated engineering for better proportions or screen-accuracy. G1 characters definitely benefit, and season 1 Beast Wars characters are clearly benefiting from a screen-accuracy viewpoint. I'm just not so sure about season 2-3 characters - maybe some extra articulation?

I'm not saying it won't or shouldn't be done, I'm just wondering about the 'benefits' for those characters.

For the most part I agree, however I'f this MP series is popular enough I'd be curious to see what they can bring to those designs. One of the things that I really liked with MP Primal and are eagerly looking forward to on Cheetor is the alternate faces/heads particularly the beast mode. It's ually a small thing on G1 MP's like Ironhide and Inferno, not on Primal I love those expressive Gorilla faces, it adds so much life to the toy. Interchanging them and posing him in beast mode has made Primal more fun for me than most recent G1 MP's.

I'm not sure that the same thing would work with MP Transmetals, but maybe...

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2017, 10:09 PM
As you said, BW toys just don't have as far to go because a lot of modern toy engineering standards etc. were brought in during the BW period. But I take your point about MPs being the premium versions of these toys but I guess because the "distance" between BW and MP engineering isn't as great that they don't appeal to me as much as G1 MPs. :o

But to be fair to G1, they were also - relative to vintage and price - mostly also really brilliant figures too. :)

1AZRAEL1
6th March 2017, 10:21 PM
What sells me on the BW MP figures is the cartoon accuracy. The extra faces are great too and do make a better impression than the G1 tbh

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2017, 10:58 PM
Yeah, but BW cartoon-likeness is easier to achieve than G1 cartoon-likeness because the BW show models were much more toy-accurate; literally based off 3D scans of the original toys. Whereas the G1 show models were initially reasonably toy-accurate sketches with an anime-mecha twist drawn by Kohara Shohei but were then simplified by Floro Dery.

e.g. Kohara's design for Sideswipe (left) vs Dery's design (right) (http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/4/4b/Deryizedsideswipe.jpg) - Sunbow ultimately ran with Dery's designs which is what TakaraTOMY are working with when translating these show models as MP toys. This is why MP Sideswipe's front wheels tuck inside instead of resting on the shoulders like the G1 toy. And the earlier MP Cars weren't as slavishly show accurate as more recent ones, hence why Sideswipe's rear wheels remain exposed on the MP toy instead of tucking in. Then Dery went and drew Red Alert with greater toy-accuracy (most likely to further differentiate him from Sideswipe), which is why the MP Alert toy ended up with faux-wheels on the shoulders, those tabs on the top of the chest etc. If the MP Lamborghinis were made today I reckon that Sideswipe's rear wheels would tuck in and Red Alert's shoulders would be completely replaced with massive wheels as shoulders (not attached to the sides of repainted Sideswipe shoulders).

1AZRAEL1
6th March 2017, 11:44 PM
And? The original BW figures whilst engineering is great, were still different in the cartoon. The MP are both better with their engineering and their accuracy

Magnus
7th March 2017, 12:04 AM
For the most part I agree, however I'f this MP series is popular enough I'd be curious to see what they can bring to those designs. One of the things that I really liked with MP Primal and are eagerly looking forward to on Cheetor is the alternate faces/heads particularly the beast mode. It's ually a small thing on G1 MP's like Ironhide and Inferno, not on Primal I love those expressive Gorilla faces, it adds so much life to the toy. Interchanging them and posing him in beast mode has made Primal more fun for me than most recent G1 MP's.

I'm not sure that the same thing would work with MP Transmetals, but maybe...

What sells me on the BW MP figures is the cartoon accuracy. The extra faces are great too and do make a better impression than the G1 tbh

Yeah, but BW cartoon-likeness is easier to achieve than G1 cartoon-likeness because the BW show models were much more toy-accurate; literally based off 3D scans of the original toys. Whereas the G1 show models were initially reasonably toy-accurate sketches with an anime-mecha twist drawn by Kohara Shohei but were then simplified by Floro Dery.

I had Transmetals in mind when I made that post. Some would require more work than others, but from an engineering standpoint, they're already very good as they are, and again, the animation models were very toy-accurate, as Gok pointed out. Several of them really only need new headsculpts to make them more screen-accurate, and the improvements engineering-wise would be mostly down to adding rotating wrists and moving fingers, and maybe rotating waists. Not exactly a big leap in engineering, as it is from G1 to MP.

For instance, take Transmetal Optimus Primal: it's very close to what's on-screen already. There isn't much to improve: a new beast mode headsculpt for screen-accuracy, maybe putting the heads on new joints to allow vertical movement, and adding rotating wrists and articulated fingers.

GoktimusPrime
7th March 2017, 12:15 AM
One of my favourite TM Optimus Primal moments in the cartoon was when he used his Attack Robot Mode (https://youtu.be/YNVLSMKqV-k?t=90). Never an official mode for the toy, but it is something that the toy can do. This showed us that not only did Mainframe's animators look at and scan the toys to make their show models but they played with them too! :D It's basically a fan-mode which became canon because it made an appearance in the show. ;)

1AZRAEL1
7th March 2017, 01:35 AM
By accurate, I mean mostly paint wise, and the fact that MP Primal transforms almost completely identical to the show.

Also, I don't own many BW figures anyway, and Cheetor will be the only I'll double up on so far. Never ended up with Primal before. The new ones fit in well with what I have and that's all that counts to me

Shirokaze
7th March 2017, 10:05 AM
I was in second grade when Beast Wars came out. I still remember the day my Aunty agreed to buy me a Deluxe as an early birthday present. We called around all the stores in the area and finally managed to find my fist fig, Cheetor, in stock at Mr Toys Springwood. In the car on the way home I transformed him over and over again and I definitely loved that toy, but I will never forget the momentary pang of disappointment I felt when his Cheetah legs wouldn't fold crossed over his back. A disappointment I later felt over hundreds of hours of playtime with Primal and his ridiculous canon flaps, Terrorsaur with his purple head and unfold-able wings and Dinobot with well, everything.

This was my first experience with toys that were dissimilar from their TV appearances; Power Rangers were simple action figures so they barely deviated and G2 figures weren't really representations of the characters I saw on TV so I never really made the connection. To 7 year old me, there was no gauge of how accurate or inaccurate they were, just a series of toys that I loved but missed the mark.

I'm just grateful that 2 decades later, I can finally experience toys that do what I could only dream of, and I'm sure you G1 kids feel the same way. :)

Ark-Ivor
24th May 2017, 12:22 PM
I'm just grateful that 2 decades later, I can finally experience toys that do what I could only dream of, and I'm sure you G1 kids feel the same way. :)

Agreed.

griffin
25th October 2017, 01:40 PM
A small teaser of a grey prototype Dinobot...
http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/24/takara-masterpiece-dinobot-prototype-image-352609

1AZRAEL1
25th October 2017, 01:42 PM
Ugh. Bring me more photos dammit. I want this guy already

MayzaPrime
25th October 2017, 03:49 PM
Agreed... hurry up and get in my collection :p

Verno
25th October 2017, 06:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/YTmasgf.gif

llamatron
25th October 2017, 06:49 PM
Hmm, interesting that they've sculpted the scales this time? Not sure how I feel about that.

Lord_Zed
25th October 2017, 07:08 PM
I'm liking it, but I was hoping for some colour pics, I sure hope were's not going to have wait too long for more MP Beast Wars.

DELTAprime
25th October 2017, 10:43 PM
I was beginning to think Dinobot was canceled, guess it's not.

griffin
26th October 2017, 07:13 AM
It's certainly taken a while, but at least it is still coming... it just might be another 8-12 months until its release though, if it follows the time line of Primal.

GALVATOM
26th October 2017, 10:22 PM
Hmm, interesting that they've sculpted the scales this time? Not sure how I feel about that.

I think it's done for show accuracy. The Maximals had smoother textures to them than the Preds. Megatron and Dinobots scales looked deeper than the detail covering the likes of Cheetor and Primal who had that sort of a painted on look in the show. If we ever get to see Scorponok or Blackarachnia in BW MP I'll bet they'll be covered in an interesting texture too.

6th November 2017, 11:16 PM
According to Loopaza (https://www.facebook.com/loopaza/photos/a.940282959366553.1073741828.932973100097539/1635876343140541/?type=3&theater), Dinobot (MP-41) is expected to hit on July 2018 at an RRP of 28,000 yen (~ AU$320):

https://i.imgur.com/w49vY4K.jpg

[Toys News]

Takaratomy Transformers Next Masterpiece

We have a confirmation on the coming up Transformers Masterpiece MP-41 will be the expected Dinobot from Beast Wars. But there is surprising pricey on him as we have been told the Retail Price is 28,000 JPY!

Meanwhile, we are not sure how big Dinobot will be or just Takaratomy send out a wrong information on the price. If this is the final case, Dinobot will be the most expensive MP so far.

Price: 28,000 JPY
Release Date: July, 2018

EDIT:

Preorder up at TFSource -- US$249.99 (~AU$327):

https://tfsource.com/masterpiece/mp-41-dinobot/

1AZRAEL1
6th November 2017, 11:34 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

$320? That sounds really wrong

FruitBuyer
6th November 2017, 11:57 PM
Unless he fracking does my laundry and services my car, that is daylight robbery.

Takara has really been trying to steal money from us with their recent MP releases. Sunstreaker is around $130 while Hot Rodimus is $100.

They want people to go 3P or something

graza78
7th November 2017, 12:29 AM
If it was beastwars megatron t-rex and HUGE, I can understand $320....not so much for this. Maybe its been priced wrong?!?

hYpNoS
7th November 2017, 12:30 AM
Found this floating around, if this is more correct (though it differs from how it normally shows) its for 4 pieces per carton, so...7k yen each, if reading this right?

There is NO WAY he's worth more than larger mp's, even if his engineering is somehow more complex than mp36 there is not one single once he's worth so much just on his own and with accessories.

https://scontent.fmel5-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/23167910_1549862808412987_181819291365381785_n.jpg ?oh=5a6733d13cf21992b6c79c60c015d40f&oe=5A6FCB30

Verno
7th November 2017, 08:38 AM
The price hurts, but I'll still gladly pay it.

Tober
7th November 2017, 10:30 AM
I so love that in the world of Facebook and Twitter etc no one can send a message to Takara asking if that is the unit or carton price. :confused:

Verno
7th November 2017, 12:18 PM
Optimus Primal - 18cm - 12,000 Yen = 666 Yen/cm (includes electronics)
Cheetor - 16cm - 7,000 Yen = 437 Yen/cm

Based on the scale chart we've compiled from observations from the show, we're expecting MP Dinobot to be around 22.5cm tall.

Dinobot - 22.5cm - 28,000 Yen = 1,244 Yen/cm (almost double the Yen/cm of Primal)

Even with potential electronics, something does seem a little amiss with the price.

ampoldj
7th November 2017, 01:19 PM
That price is sooo wrong may be it is meant for BW Megatron that no one would probably argue :rolleyes::p

drifand
7th November 2017, 01:22 PM
Haha is this finally even happening? I am beginning to think the amount of neglect that tt has for MPs

Verno
7th November 2017, 04:20 PM
We all know better than to order from them, but a particular Australian online retailer has Dinobot up for pre-order at $169.95.

This looks a lot closer to the mark for an expected price.

1AZRAEL1
7th November 2017, 04:57 PM
We all know better than to order from them, but a particular Australian online retailer has Dinobot up for pre-order at $169.95.

This looks a lot closer to the mark for an expected price.

But they always go cheaper than most. So you're looking at $200+. They'll be basing it off this astronomical price. That's how they always do it, then adjust later

Verno
7th November 2017, 05:00 PM
But they always go cheaper than most. So you're looking at $200+. They'll be basing it off this astronomical price. That's how they always do it, then adjust later
The problem is all the other online retailers are posting prices of $200-$250 USD, whereas their price is $169.95 AUD.

I think there is some confusion or misinformation being provided to the online retailers about just what price per unit Dinobot is meant to be.

1AZRAEL1
7th November 2017, 05:08 PM
The problem is all the other online retailers are posting prices of $200-$250 USD, whereas their price is $169.95 AUD.

I think there is some confusion or misinformation being provided to the online retailers about just what price per unit Dinobot is meant to be.

That's true too. Most online retailers at least don't charge upfront though. Good luck getting a refund if the price is wrong lol

7th November 2017, 05:18 PM
Usually that retailer prices their mainline goods somewhere between HLJ and Anime Export -- so 20% to 30% off Japanese RRP.

But even at the cheapest 30% off 28,000 yen (~AU$320), that would still mean a price of AU$224, which is still way higher than the AU$170 listed.

They charged AU$220 for MP Megatron, which is the same price as what HLJ is charging, and whose RRP was lower at 23,000 yen (~AU$265).

If MP Dinobot has an RRP higher than MP Megatron, I can't see how that retailer is charging a lower price -- they're either BS'ing or the RRP is significantly lower.

1AZRAEL1
7th November 2017, 05:23 PM
Ah speculation :cool:

Until Takara comes out and confirms the price, I won't place an order with anyone

Not a dig, just quietly giggling at the fandom talking in circles

7th November 2017, 05:26 PM
Ah speculation :cool:

Until Takara comes out and confirms the price, I won't place an order with anyone

LOL! Have to do something until we get a confirmation of the price!

Then we get thrown a curveball and MP-41 is actually MP Galvatron! :eek:

1AZRAEL1
7th November 2017, 05:33 PM
LOL! Have to do something until we get a confirmation of the price!

Then we get thrown a curveball and MP-41 is actually MP Galvatron! :eek:

Could be that they will include cartoon accurate and toy accurate in the one box. Could be toy accurate Cheetor included too!!!:eek:

Paulbot
7th November 2017, 05:38 PM
Could be that they will include cartoon accurate and toy accurate in the one box. Could be toy accurate Cheetor included too!!!:eek:

I did wonder if the price meant we'd get the Dinobot clone (from Double Dinobot) as a large accessory!

1AZRAEL1
7th November 2017, 05:47 PM
I did wonder if the price meant we'd get the Dinobot clone (from Double Dinobot) as a large accessory!

That's an interesting thought. Cool if it was

Verno
7th November 2017, 05:49 PM
https://orig00.deviantart.net/24dc/f/2017/310/9/d/size_v_price_by_rh1n0x-dbt06zl.jpg

Ok, working with the current unofficial scale chart, and assuming that anyone larger than Primal will come with electronics and anyone smaller will not, we can guesstimate the prices for the rest of the line-up based on the Yen per cm prices of Primal and Cheetor.

7th November 2017, 07:06 PM
RK has their listing up -- US$200 with an RRP of 28,000 yen:

http://www.robotkingdom.com/tftrmp41.html

They're usually very reliable with RRPs, so I think that's it.

drifand
7th November 2017, 08:29 PM
I find it hard to believe that this is the price we are looking at for a beast wars character? Really?

DarkHyren
7th November 2017, 11:10 PM
I'm not so sure that the 28,000 yen price tag is correct, seems like the price for a case rather then per figure.
If it is actually the price tag though makes me glad I dont have much interest in BW MPs, but it does make me dread what they might price future G1 MPs at.
As FruitBuyer said "They want people to go 3P or something"

griffin
8th November 2017, 05:21 PM
Most dealers will guess the price to lock in the more impulsive customers first, and adjust the price later.
Until TakaraTomy adds the product to their website (or in a hobby magazine), or it gets listed on TakaraTomyMall, HLJ or Amazon Japan, we just have to wait.

According to a post on a Chinese TFs facebook page (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/new-info-on-features-for-transformers-masterpiece-mp41-dinobot/39969/), the toy will have these features...

Fully poseable raptor mode
Beast mode eyes can be changed
Sculpted scales under a layer of printed texture all through the beast mode body
Robot mode is bigger and broader than Optimus Primal
Hand can hold both weapons in his hands
The tail shield spins
Has two extra faces, where one is smiling and one is roaring (probably angry)
Will have two different coloured eye pieces, to be used with a light up feature (to replicate the lazer beams)
He will also come with a gold disk accessory and a base that can be used in both modes

The New MP Megatron had a retail of 24,000yen, so with this one being smaller than Megatron, I'd be surprised if Dinobot is confirmed to be 28,000yen... or even US$200 (about 23,000yen). I just don't think there would be enough demand for a Beast Wars character to justify that sort of price (as there was for the new Megatron, who is already seeing a reissue).
As others have noted, Optimus Primal was about 11,000yen, while Cheetor was about 7,000yen.
My guess is that the 28,000yen price is for a case of two, as Dinobot is likely to be just a little more than Primal, at 14,000yen.

Verno
8th November 2017, 05:25 PM
16,000Y for Dinobot. 12,000Y for an amazing, light-up, Energon crystal-ridden rocky landscape base!

Lord_Zed
8th November 2017, 07:07 PM
While I don't normally get excited for light up eyes, given Dinobots prominent use of his eye lasers in the cartoon, this is one time when it feels like a necessary addition.

VGMStudios
9th November 2017, 06:07 AM
This is why I like it here. You guys are polite with each other. Over at tfw when asking about the price you get blasted right away with rudeness.

When i saw the price at bbts i was flabbergasted. But i will wait for more information before ordering it.

BigTransformerTrev
9th November 2017, 07:52 AM
RK has their listing up -- US$200 with an RRP of 28,000 yen:

http://www.robotkingdom.com/tftrmp41.html

They're usually very reliable with RRPs, so I think that's it.

Tell’em they’re dreamin’

UltraMarginal
9th November 2017, 11:08 AM
there would have been a lot of design time spent on this guy, incorporating electronics, Designing around the insane transformation requirements.
Size isn't really a factor in the cost of a toy, yes, more plastic costs more, but it's pretty cheap (https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Most-Popular-hdpe-plastic-raw-material_60575761861.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07 .105.6bb9bb47GB5M8r)stuff.

The real costs are in parts count, individual mould size, Engineering time, prototyping, inspection and assembly.

this guy looks like he's going to be very complex, so costs would probably be driven by parts count, which leads to bigger moulds (requiring bigger, higher pressure injection machinery). Assembly time will also be longer with so many parts and the complexity of adding in the electronic features.

I still think the price is a bitter pill to swallow, especially when they should be expecting to sell a lot of these. I can't help but feel that Takara are banking on the characters popularity, with a fairly large profit margin.

I like beast wars, the only beast wars toys I have are the recent Generations Waspinator and Rhinox and the first MP releases of each existing character. I would like to have an MP Beast wars shelf but man this is a big pill.

Ode to a Grasshopper
9th November 2017, 05:45 PM
Maybe the Golden Disk is made from real gold.:p

DELTAprime
9th November 2017, 06:30 PM
Maybe the Golden Disk is made from real gold.:p

If it was real gold I'd rather a cheaper version with it made from plastic.

My MMPR Dragon Dagger has 24kt gold plating and that is about a $80 to $100 USD prop/toy with most of the body made from diecast.

spiderken17
9th November 2017, 10:28 PM
I am not a Beast Wars collector so don't know much about this guys popularity but that price seems ridiculous to me. I cannot imagine them selling heaps of these to start with (compared with G1 MP's) so they could scare away people on the fence with a massive RRP.

Tober
12th November 2017, 08:00 PM
Color pics

http://figsoku.net/blog-entry-86861.html

Edit - Amazon Japan is listing for 30240 jpy. :(

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B0778N4FXN/pick-item-22

Trent
12th November 2017, 08:30 PM
Color pics

http://figsoku.net/blog-entry-86861.html

Edit - Amazon Japan is listing for 30240 jpy. :(

https://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B0778N4FXN/pick-item-22

Wow that looks good.

12th November 2017, 09:00 PM
Via Taghobby (http://www.taghobby.com/archives/236433):

https://i.imgur.com/wWT2GrE.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/y6mVaFD.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/B9tayYw.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/jzKr5ZT.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/dEVARBh.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/rqlJ3ya.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/e5RWsQH.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/10tbvos.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/el4mO7I.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/PwDt0XY.jpg

Verno
12th November 2017, 09:24 PM
https://orig00.deviantart.net/7ffe/f/2015/165/3/b/ezgif_com_video_to_gif_by_rh1n0x-d8xc4zp.gif

1AZRAEL1
12th November 2017, 09:47 PM
He's a beast!!!

I'll just play myself out...

Lord_Zed
12th November 2017, 09:56 PM
A+mazing!

DELTAprime
12th November 2017, 10:07 PM
Only negative of the mould is the side view of beast mode.

The even bigger negative though is that price. How are they justifying the 30000 yen price?

Magnus
12th November 2017, 10:21 PM
The even bigger negative though is that price. How are they justifying the 30000 yen price?

I think UltraMarginal is right; the price is being at least partly driven by R&D and the part count for such a complex figure.

doublespy
12th November 2017, 10:47 PM
Very impressive. I think the engineering plus electronics and the base included justify that price.

Although the face sculpts feel just a little bit off that I can't pinpoint. They don't give off that "jumping straight out the cartoon" vibe like Primal, Cheetor or G1 Megs did to me. Also I wished the default stoic face was done without the teeth showing:
https://i.imgur.com/XWiEasW.png

kup
12th November 2017, 11:33 PM
The robot mode is awesome, specially the head sculpt. I can't wait!

bowspearer
13th November 2017, 01:47 AM
Until I see it surfacing for preorders on the usual suspects (AmiAmi, HLJ, etc), I'll take that price with more than a little grain of salt. I'll be highly surprised if the final price for the figure goes over 20,000 yen.

DarkHyren
13th November 2017, 01:59 AM
Until I see it surfacing for preorders on the usual suspects (AmiAmi, HLJ, etc), I'll take that price with more than a little grain of salt. I'll be highly surprised if the final price for the figure goes over 20,000 yen.Some contacts with certain toy stores are saying that the price is correct as told to them by their suppliers.
I'm still waiting to know that it's 100% but it's becoming more and more likely that this ridiculous price is for the one toy.
While the toy does look cool and would entice me into branching out into BW MP's, one look at the price and I'm just like

https://i.imgur.com/mb8msge.png

ampoldj
13th November 2017, 06:29 AM
He looks sooo good except i only like one of the faces. But with the current price i would just focus on a reissue MP Megatron first then hopefully next year i can go back to where i left off the MP line :rolleyes:

If Takara is thinking throwing a display base would make it everyone considering the price tag feel it is now appropriate, well i still believe that it looks a like $10 gundam display base only (cheaper if you buy that base in Japan as i just opened mine after 7 years) :p

DaptoDog
13th November 2017, 07:19 AM
While I could care less for BW I have to admit that's a very nice looking figure. I'll grab one purely to keep for my son until he is older but at that price I'm glad I won't be ordering doubles. :eek:

ampoldj
13th November 2017, 07:53 AM
Release date is still July 2018? (reading the taghobby post). So plenty of time to save for those keen ;)

Edit: wondering which reissues or exclusives are coming next year. I need a Sunstorm :rolleyes:

FruitBuyer
13th November 2017, 08:26 AM
I despised that price point when I first saw it but I must concede that now I see the actual pictures, I really do want him.

Damn I hate this plastic crack addiction

Other
13th November 2017, 09:15 AM
Up for preorder at AmiAmi
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=FIGURE-034713&page=top
21,340 JPY

Shirokaze
13th November 2017, 10:42 AM
I'm actually shocked that this RRP came to pass; I was 95% sure that was the price for the case. Either way, pre-ordered, because I'm a sucker and because he's amazing.

DELTAprime
13th November 2017, 11:49 AM
HLJ has him up.

https://hlj.com/product/TKT87717

$268.53 AUD, ouch.

Jellico
13th November 2017, 12:37 PM
HLJ has him up.

https://hlj.com/product/TKT87717

$268.53 AUD, ouch.

Tell me he comes with a trailer for that price? And rubber tires?

MP36 or the Coneheads were cheaper right?

FruitBuyer
13th November 2017, 01:09 PM
Tell me he comes with a trailer for that price? And rubber tires?

He also better be officially licensed.

Jellico
13th November 2017, 01:32 PM
Obviously, being a Spielbergian featherless raptor.

DELTAprime
13th November 2017, 01:33 PM

MP36 was the most expensive standard retail release MP previously, he comes in at $220 at HLJ currently.

bowspearer
13th November 2017, 02:00 PM
Just saw the HLJ price tag... I just don't know. $270 (down from $340) for an MP is a big ask

drifand
13th November 2017, 02:36 PM
Just saw the HLJ price tag... I just don't know. $270 (down from $340) for an MP is a big ask

Without shipping.

I am fortunate I don't collect bw.
I hope the quality is what you guys expect for that amount they asking.
It's not much off for a grand max.

UltraMarginal
13th November 2017, 02:48 PM
He also better be officially licensed.

:D:D:D

1AZRAEL1
13th November 2017, 03:04 PM
I'm paying $269 shipped. So I don't care too much

drifand
13th November 2017, 04:03 PM
I'm paying $269 shipped. So I don't care too much

where abouts?

DELTAprime
13th November 2017, 05:00 PM
Without shipping.

I am fortunate I don't collect bw.
I hope the quality is what you guys expect for that amount they asking.
It's not much off for a grand max.

Yeah for that much he better have as great a QC job as MMPR Legacy Titanus. That was $200 USD but had such an amazing QC job it would be very easy to call almost every last one of them a C10 condition figure.

DELTAprime
13th November 2017, 05:06 PM
Promo video posted, all in Japanese though.

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/official-promotional-video-and-more-information-for-takara-tomy-transformers-masterpiece-mp41-dinobot/40014/

griffin
13th November 2017, 05:14 PM
The TakaraTomy page for MP Dinobot (http://tf.takaratomy.co.jp/products-lineup/tf_mp/mp-41) has added some 360 degree turnarounds of both modes.

yoshi594
13th November 2017, 05:26 PM
where abouts?

i presume here:

https://www.toybotimportz.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/takara-tomy-mp-41-dinobot

i wouldn't preorder this early thou...pretty much makes it 9-10 months for you to receive it. Better to play it safe and not get PC'd.

Alternatively, super trusted sources like AMIAMI and HLJ have it up for preorder.

1AZRAEL1
13th November 2017, 05:51 PM
where abouts?

Toybot Importz. Used them a few times now and happy with service

Ode to a Grasshopper
13th November 2017, 06:37 PM
That looks amazing. And it's expensive.

Luckily for my wallet the Odieverse already has a Dinobot, specifically the Transmetal 2 version...I suspect I'm going to be in trouble when they come out with MP BW Megatron though.

Lord_Zed
13th November 2017, 07:45 PM
This price shock happens every time Taktom release an MP now, it happened with the Coneheads, Megatron, Sunstreaker, Dinobot and it will happen again.

These price hikes totally suck, but lets not pretend they are new.

Between MP and Diaclone super expensive toys seem to be all the rage for Takara now.

Verno
13th November 2017, 08:55 PM
https://orig00.deviantart.net/64dd/f/2017/317/9/9/beast_by_rh1n0x-dbtmbjj.gif

https://orig00.deviantart.net/4726/f/2017/317/c/2/robot_by_rh1n0x-dbtm7s9.gif

llamatron
13th November 2017, 09:46 PM
~$225 through AE (+ whatever shipping ends up being).

Keep in mind this price while depend a bit on if you're using paypal, credit card through paypal, if you let paypal do the conversion or let your card do the conversion, and the fees associated with overseas currency for your card. Phew.

drifand
13th November 2017, 09:58 PM
~$225 through AE (+ whatever shipping ends up being).

Keep in mind this price while depend a bit on if you're using paypal, credit card through paypal, if you let paypal do the conversion or let your card do the conversion, and the fees associated with overseas currency for your card. Phew.

And you have to pay it now. Not a bad thing but also not good in some ways.

DELTAprime
13th November 2017, 11:16 PM
Yeah I've ordered him through HLJ because I can guarantee myself I'll get one if I want him but also have time to consider if I really want him especially at that price.

bowspearer
13th November 2017, 11:38 PM
Yeah I've ordered him through HLJ because I can guarantee myself I'll get one if I want him but also have time to consider if I really want him especially at that price.

I preordered two from them with the same line of thinking - I'll make the call late June as to whether I cancel 1, both or none of them.

VGMStudios
14th November 2017, 12:05 AM
Got it from AE. Cheapest so far.

ampoldj
14th November 2017, 06:33 AM
Still nothing at NY? Anyway the new promo video just slaps that 28000yen price tag :p

http://www.taghobby.com/archives/236433

DaptoDog
14th November 2017, 07:54 AM
Still nothing at NY? Anyway the new promo video just slaps that 28000yen price tag :p

NY are always a little slow putting it up, usually comes up in the late afternoon. I'm annoyed they didn't list MPM Prime, so I'm not sure whether they will list MPM Barricade. I'd rather order from them as usual to delay payment and combine orders than pay upfront with AE.

VGMStudios
14th November 2017, 02:06 PM
why delay the inevitable? Pay it now and be done with it....

DaptoDog
14th November 2017, 03:10 PM
why delay the inevitable? Pay it now and be done with it....

Why pay up front more than 6 months early when you can delay payment at the same price? For both time value of money and peace of mind (PC ring a bell?) reasons it makes plenty of sense to wait.

1AZRAEL1
14th November 2017, 03:37 PM
PC hasn't ruined my faith in other pay up front retailers. I like the idea of being able to pay a laybuy scheme because I don't have a disposable income as much as others

DELTAprime
14th November 2017, 04:11 PM
PC hasn't ruined my faith in other pay up front retailers. I like the idea of being able to pay a laybuy scheme because I don't have a disposable income as much as others

I just save up in dedicated savings account to get my stuff from HLJ. I don't have a ton of cash either but it works and gives me a chance to cancel if I change my mind.

kup
14th November 2017, 05:05 PM
Official MPs are becoming cost prohibitive. I am getting this because it's Dinobot. Chances are though that at this prices, I will probably not be buying many official MPs moving forward.

Sadly, there is a line to cross when it comes to collecting and value for money. Sometimes as collectors we willingly cross that line for some rare or must have toy. However new mass produced toys even MPs shouldn't cost this much as that means we would be crossing that line every time there is a new release and it is asking too much.

griffin
14th November 2017, 05:11 PM
Until TakaraTomy adds the product to their website (or in a hobby magazine), or it gets listed on TakaraTomyMall, HLJ or Amazon Japan, we just have to wait.

The New MP Megatron had a retail of 24,000yen, so with this one being smaller than Megatron, I'd be surprised if Dinobot is confirmed to be 28,000yen... or even US$200 (about 23,000yen).
My guess is that the 28,000yen price is for a case of two, as Dinobot is likely to be just a little more than Primal, at 14,000yen.

Now that it is listed on the TakaraTomy product page for MP Dinobot as 28,000yen, I have to concede that I was way off. I still don't see where the cost is coming from with this one though... but with TT apparently doing poorly at the moment, they are probably looking to get as much money as they can from their premium products.

Verno
14th November 2017, 05:41 PM
I'm with you, Griff. I was happy to chalk up the price to hearsay or a miscommunication, perhaps the base was big enough to hold all 7 Maximals...

But alas, it's just one bloody expensive figure.

My outward expenditure on Transformers figures is essentially $0 outside of BW MPs, so it's easier for me to be a little blase about the price and happily pay it. But for others who have to limit their TF spending, I can understand the hesitation in ordering.

However, my new theory: TT will surprise everyone by including the secretly developed MP Rattrap in the box with MP Dinobot! :p

drifand
14th November 2017, 05:47 PM

Just be on top of your orders as trust is a very shaky thing after pc.

As for ny, the difference is I can pay when the rates are good or when I have money plus more options on shipping.

Speaking of which ny is $271 shipped.

DaptoDog
14th November 2017, 05:51 PM

NY heard your call.

www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/23080-transformers-masterpiece-mp41-dinobot-beast-wars.html

At ¥18,980 it's the cheapest price so far I believe. With registered Airmail it comes to $257 shipped but combining with other orders would obviously bring this down.

1AZRAEL1
14th November 2017, 09:30 PM
Just be on top of your orders as trust is a very shaky thing after pc.

As for ny, the difference is I can pay when the rates are good or when I have money plus more options on shipping.

Speaking of which ny is $271 shipped.

I have trust in TBI. Everything I've ordered has been delivered. Something I ordered last week will arrive tomorrow with luck. One other thing ordered is due Feb. I'm well on top of my orders so far :)

TBI was 269 shipped too

DELTAprime
15th November 2017, 07:40 AM
I have trust in TBI. Everything I've ordered has been delivered. Something I ordered last week will arrive tomorrow with luck. One other thing ordered is due Feb. I'm well on top of my orders so far :)

TBI was 269 shipped too

Everything people ordered from PC was delivered up also, until a certain point where they went from legitimate business to fraudsters.

I don't think that means people should shy away from pay up front, but know the risk you're getting yourself into. I personally only use RK and TLTC for upfront payments.

1AZRAEL1
15th November 2017, 02:18 PM
Everything people ordered from PC was delivered up also, until a certain point where they went from legitimate business to fraudsters.

I don't think that means people should shy away from pay up front, but know the risk you're getting yourself into. I personally only use RK and TLTC for upfront payments.

That is true, but I won't base everyone of them off my experience with PC. The owner has been in the fandom quite a while. Yes people are more cautious now, don't blame them either. I'm just going off my experiences

ChlorHex
15th November 2017, 02:27 PM
Official MPs are becoming cost prohibitive. I am getting this because it's Dinobot. Chances are though that at this prices, I will probably not be buying many official MPs moving forward.

Sadly, there is a line to cross when it comes to collecting and value for money. Sometimes as collectors we willingly cross that line for some rare or must have toy. However new mass produced toys even MPs shouldn't cost this much as that means we would be crossing that line every time there is a new release and it is asking too much.

Totally agree.
The sculpt and engineering on this bot is fantastic but I'll have to pass as the prices just seem to be going higher and higher.
Gotta prioritise my purchases unfortunately.

DELTAprime
15th November 2017, 08:15 PM
That is true, but I won't base everyone of them off my experience with PC. The owner has been in the fandom quite a while. Yes people are more cautious now, don't blame them either. I'm just going off my experiences

Yeah well after a decade of buying from RK and after TLTC being part of the Star Wars collecting community for quite some time I am confident in them both. I could buy from more places but I'm able to get everything I want from them and HLJ combined.

PC was a bit of a kick to the gut but most places are on the level. For me it just comes down to the fact I've never been fully comfortable paying up front which is why I goto HLJ first, then RK or TLTC.

Autocon
15th November 2017, 10:09 PM
I love this but seems overly huge compared to op and cheetor. He wasnt that big in the show? And faux head used again on the chest. Looks great though

MayzaPrime
16th November 2017, 08:18 AM
I love this but seems overly huge compared to op and cheetor. He wasnt that big in the show? And faux head used again on the chest. Looks great though

Actually he was that big in the show only Megatron was bigger

bowspearer
16th November 2017, 12:57 PM
I've been giving this alot of thought and while the price doesn't have me jumping for joy, I can understand why it's the price it is. Size aside, I suspect this figure will be a serious contender for 'most complex Masterpiece figure ever released'.

Looking at it, it looks like it's far easier to count the parts of him that don't invert or flip, and those parts look like they can be counted on one hand.

I remember then MP-01 came out the joke was "Ages 40+ (and PhD required)", but I think this figure will take that to a whole other level. That said, it's a little disappointing about the side gaps and butt kibble in raptor mode.

Shirokaze
16th November 2017, 01:02 PM
However, my new theory: TT will surprise everyone by including the secretly developed MP Rattrap in the box with MP Dinobot! :p

I would totally dig a transmetal Rattrap for Dinobot to ride.....just sayin' :D

Paulbot
16th November 2017, 01:53 PM
Actually he was that big in the show only Megatron was bigger

Been wondering when people will start realising that MP Beast Wars Megatron price tag could likely be higher still.

Shirokaze
16th November 2017, 02:15 PM
Been wondering when people will start realising that MP Beast Wars Megatron price tag could likely be higher still.

Sadly if this sells well despite the price tag, I would envisage that this will become standard pricing across ALL MPs, not just limited to Beast Wars ones. By buying high-priced 3rd party figures, we have already given TT their business case, Dinobot will just determine whether they can make it stick.

Ode to a Grasshopper
16th November 2017, 04:47 PM
^^ I'm not so sure. Sure, the price of MPs keeps going up, but looking at the complexity, size, electronics, and extra features of Dinobot then I'd suggest he's a bit of an outlier. Sure, BW Megs could be similar, but I doubt if all future MPs are priced that much 'because they can'. If they do an MP Jazz or Hound or Mirage, say, I'd expect them to be less gimmick-laden, smaller, with easier/less complex transformations (seriously, look at the pics of Dinobot, he looks almost as intricate as MP36 Megatron), without electronics, and priced more like MP Sunstreaker is supposed to be. Still expensive, but not quite so much so as Dinobot.
Bear in mind also that TakaraTomy design things first and foremost for the Japanese domestic market, where 3P stuff isn't as widespread and the TF collecting market is a bit less of a niche market than it is here.

Lord_Zed
16th November 2017, 07:27 PM
Sunstreaker, Beast Convoy and Megatron were all more extensive than similar sized MP's of the past so I'm not sure Dinbot is an outlier, we wont know till the next MP comes out.

I also disagree that 3rd party stuff isn't as widespread in Japan, most of the collectors niche stores that target Transformers fans carry them. Having said that recently 3rd parties are trying to undercut each other on price, so their cost have stabilized (occasionally gone down), now it's Takara who are leading the charge on more and more expensive MP toys.

DarkHyren
17th November 2017, 05:09 AM
Well I for one hope Dinobot is a once off, if prices for all MP's go this way I sadly will have to give up collecting MP's and probably focus on 3rd party or even KO's.
The problem is that while many people are saying "this is too expensive" a lot are then turning around and buying it anyway, showing TT that even though people complain about the cost they will still pay it, thus encouraging prices to go up.
It's not like Dinobot is an exclusive or will be in limited numbers, let it shelfwarm and send the message that these kinds of prices are unacceptable.

FruitBuyer
17th November 2017, 09:37 AM
Well I for one hope Dinobot is a once off, if prices for all MP's go this way I sadly will have to give up collecting MP's and probably focus on 3rd party or even KO's.
The problem is that while many people are saying "this is too expensive" a lot are then turning around and buying it anyway, showing TT that even though people complain about the cost they will still pay it, thus encouraging prices to go up.
It's not like Dinobot is an exclusive or will be in limited numbers, let it shelfwarm and send the message that these kinds of prices are unacceptable.

I wouldn't count on it, just look at Sunstreaker. While he is considerably more advanced as a figure than his fellow carbots, he's even more expensive than the larger Ratchet or Ironhide. I reckon TT are throwing a million accessories with each release to better justify the prices.

llamatron
17th November 2017, 10:35 AM
We don't know the costs associated with developing and producing a toy like dinobot. So many variables. There is some level of trust required that TT is only making a reasons sustainable profit. For all we know they may have been undercharging on earlier figures. They may not have had all their costs inputs correctly figured out. Wages may have increased. R and d may have dragged on. Factory costs may have risen.

Tober
17th November 2017, 11:41 AM
How much repaint potential is there for Dinobot?

FruitBuyer
17th November 2017, 12:12 PM
We don't know the costs associated with developing and producing a toy like dinobot. So many variables. There is some level of trust required that TT is only making a reasons sustainable profit. For all we know they may have been undercharging on earlier figures. They may not have had all their costs inputs correctly figured out. Wages may have increased. R and d may have dragged on. Factory costs may have risen.

This is unbelievable.

llamatron
17th November 2017, 12:21 PM
You'd be surprised.

Paulbot
17th November 2017, 12:45 PM
How much repaint potential is there for Dinobot?

A more toy accurate version (like they did with Primal) is the most likely repaint and maybe a darker version (I feel like the clone was a darker shade?).

A BW Grimlock is unlikely. A BWII Thrustor retool even more so.

1AZRAEL1
17th November 2017, 12:58 PM
There's not really too much potential for repaints on BW anyhow. Maybe the price is indicative of that fact because they can't get as much use out of a mold like they could for the rest of the MP line

ChlorHex
17th November 2017, 01:32 PM
I also disagree that 3rd party stuff isn't as widespread in Japan, most of the collectors niche stores that target Transformers fans carry them. Having said that recently 3rd parties are trying to undercut each other on price, so their cost have stabilized (occasionally gone down), now it's Takara who are leading the charge on more and more expensive MP toys.

Heaps of 3P stuff in Japan these days... they are getting into it.

Unfortunately this would very likely be KO'ed as there'll be a demand by many who can't afford it.

I won't be getting either. It is a fantastic representation of Dinobot nonetheless.

bowspearer
17th November 2017, 04:54 PM
While he is considerably more advanced as a figure than his fellow carbots

I don't think you can ignore that fact through - the R&D and engineering on this guy would have been a nightmare and that was going to definitely come to bear on the cost.

Never mind that from Takara's Perspective this was probably viewed as a one-shot deal.

A BW Grimlock is unlikely.

Wouldn't that depend more on Hasbro?

DELTAprime
17th November 2017, 06:22 PM
For all we know they may have been undercharging on earlier figures. They may not have had all their costs inputs correctly figured out.

Are you kidding me, that's a load of BS. They are a publicly traded company, everything is accounted for and if they were losing money or not enough on MPs the shareholders would have the heads of the board and executives responsible.

It's most likely either a price hike like we saw when the Tomy merger occurred (remember how cheap MPs used to be?), or the long time between announcement and now indicates he was in development hell and they probably have to recoup extra R&D cost associated with this mould.

We won't know for sure which it is till the next new MP mould is available for preorder. (assuming the next new mould is comparable to previous MPs)

Ralph Wiggum
17th November 2017, 06:57 PM
They charge this price because they can.

We don’t call it plastic crack for nothing.

Paulbot
17th November 2017, 07:15 PM
Wouldn't that depend more on Hasbro?

Possibly. Come to think of it I don't recall seeing anything about Grimlock and many other "year two" figures being released in Japan. (Maybe USA Editions?). Still it's a unlikely but outside chance as a repaint option.

DELTAprime
17th November 2017, 07:40 PM
Possibly. Come to think of it I don't recall seeing anything about Grimlock and many other "year two" figures being released in Japan. (Maybe USA Editions?). Still it's a unlikely but outside chance as a repaint option.

That's another possible issue. If they are not doing a repaint then they need to recoup the R&D cost on just this release increasing the price. The more repaints and minor (p)remoulds they plan the more they can spread the cost. There are 5 potential repaints and remoulds for Dinobot but they might have decided not to do any.

Toy accurate Dinobot and Grimlock from BW. From Beast Wars Neo Hardhead, Dinotron, and Thrustor.

Trent
17th November 2017, 07:56 PM
Are you kidding me, that's a load of BS. They are a publicly traded company, everything is accounted for and if they were losing money or not enough on MPs the shareholders would have the heads of the board and executives responsible.

You have no idea the money that is wasted in the corporate world due to plain stupidity with zero consequences for the ones responsible. I could name one example right now of an Australian company currently scrambling to recoup a $300 million capital expenditure blunder.

And another one: 10 years ago $500 million was allocated to reline a blast furnace at an Australian steelworks. 6 months before the reline was due to even physically start the board got told they had to approve another $500 million because the first budget had already been spent in its entirety. Without any physical work being done. The this was the first the board had heard about any budget issues.

In both of these examples above, there were no consequences for those responsible. So don't be so quick to assume obscenely massive wastes of money don't happen.

drifand
17th November 2017, 09:18 PM
Well despite all the complaints it can be purchased under 20,000jpy.

For me my main issue has ONLY been the Quality.

Because is made in China is one thing, but the qc dropped a lot.
If I pay 28,000jpy but the quality isn't equivalent for that is what bugs me.

I am putting any negatives including retailers aside as this mp is the main focal point. I like its robot form so far. I personally won't pay anything above 22,000 from the pictures so far.

doublespy
17th November 2017, 11:37 PM

I fully agree with this.

Dinobot will be made in China instead of Vietnam where they had a lot of QC issues, so could Sunstreaker have been. This alone could increase costs quite significantly for a figure of this complexity because of increasingly higher wages in Chinese factories.

You have no idea the money that is wasted in the corporate world due to plain stupidity with zero consequences for the ones responsible. I could name one example right now of an Australian company currently scrambling to recoup a $300 million capital expenditure blunder.

And another one: 10 years ago $500 million was allocated to reline a blast furnace at an Australian steelworks. 6 months before the reline was due to even physically start the board got told they had to approve another $500 million because the first budget had already been spent in its entirety. Without any physical work being done. The this was the first the board had heard about any budget issues.

In both of these examples above, there were no consequences for those responsible. So don't be so quick to assume obscenely massive wastes of money don't happen.

Another very good point. The bigger the company the worse it is. Personal experience.:D

DELTAprime
17th November 2017, 11:52 PM
If you think a toyline that has been going for 14 years could possibly have been losing money all this time and they are only now correcting then you are really stupid. Yes the cost of a single project can easily get out of control as pointed out, but 41 projects over 14 years that's not possible without major incompetence that will get people fired.

18th November 2017, 12:00 AM
For me my main issue has ONLY been the Quality.

Exactly! When a retailer has to issue a warning (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/warning-of-breakage-and-heavy-paint-chipping-on-mp-36-masterpiece-megatron/37710/) for customers on how to handle a figure (even recommending they not use the included accessories!) then something is seriously wrong!

doublespy
18th November 2017, 12:23 AM
If you think a toyline that has been going for 14 years could possibly have been losing money all this time and they are only now correcting then you are really stupid. Yes the cost of a single project can easily get out of control as pointed out, but 41 projects over 14 years that's not possible without major incompetence that will get people fired.

"Undercharging" is not the same as losing money though.

Autocon
18th November 2017, 02:26 AM
Exactly! When a retailer has to issue a warning (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/warning-of-breakage-and-heavy-paint-chipping-on-mp-36-masterpiece-megatron/37710/) for customers on how to handle a figure (even recommending they not use the included accessories!) then something is seriously wrong!

What BS.

llamatron
18th November 2017, 02:28 AM
"Undercharging" is not the same as losing money though.

Correct. For a fun history lesson read up on the woes of the Lego corp in the late 90's.

20th November 2017, 02:19 AM
Scans from the 2018 Generations book (from weibo user 北马伊斯力 (https://www.weibo.com/u/1409880985?refer_flag=1005055013_&is_hot=1)):

https://i.imgur.com/VeG99T9.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4oJaWSa.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IiPsdlO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8u3OLwb.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/X1YHoG2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XydljTs.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/868chNw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/pPlU8M4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/aectWvU.jpg

BigTransformerTrev
20th November 2017, 08:04 AM
Only negative of the mould is the side view of beast mode.

The sides on him look bloody awful! How can they justify so many poorly fitting/joining panels and still call it ‘Masterpiece’? These toys are supposed to be cartoon accurate - he looked a helluva lot better in the show.

Now that it is listed on the TakaraTomy product page for MP Dinobot as 28,000yen, I have to concede that I was way off. I still don't see where the cost is coming from with this one though... but with TT apparently doing poorly at the moment, they are probably looking to get as much money as they can from their premium products.

Such a huge price for what I reckon is the worst looking alt-mode from the entire line. Don’t get me wrong - I’m glad the BW fans out there are so excited about this toy and hope they genuinely enjoy it - but I can’t see this price being justifiable

FruitBuyer
20th November 2017, 09:01 AM
Turns out that having nigh-perfect accurate Robot modes comes at the expensive of animal modes.

Also creating accurate animal modes without shell-forming is pretty hard and real-life plastic can't cheat like cartoon and CGI.

Despite my qualms about the price of Dinobot and Sunstreaker, I've still pre-ordered them both. I'll also be first in line for a BW Grimlock repaint as well.

BigTransformerTrev
20th November 2017, 09:25 AM
Turns out that having nigh-perfect accurate Robot modes comes at the expensive of animal modes.

Also creating accurate animal modes without shell-forming is pretty hard and real-life plastic can't cheat like cartoon and CGI.

I dunno, I thought they did a pretty good job with Primal. No big gaps, everything curving into each other nicely. That's why I'm so surprised that Dinobot looks such a shocker in beast mode. Frankly....

https://i.imgur.com/8u3OLwb.jpg

...that looks just crap :( BW fans deserve a bit better for their money. I'd accept this alt-mode from a legion-sized figure or maybe even a deluxe, but not from a super expensive MP figure.

I'll also be first in line for a BW Grimlock repaint as well.

Hmmmm..... I am a Grimlock collector. If they release a Grimlock version for, say, $80-$85 I'll pick one up

FruitBuyer
20th November 2017, 10:00 AM
But Primal was a considerably simpler transformation. Bipedal animal becoming bipedal robot, Primal is by far the simplest MP to transform. Dinobot is completely different with his transformation and considerably more complex.

Look at it this way, TT would have had to sacrifice robot-mode accuracy if they wanted a more accurate dino-mode and most collectors keep their figures in robot-mode.

Regarding price, he looks to be around MP-8 in height so I wouldn't think $80 is fair. Not to say I want to pay $250+ again but $80 is a bit low considering that's what the old carbot price was and he's considerably bigger than them. Then again I am a stupid man addicted to his plastic crack and probably would fork out $250 for a BW Grimlock.

VGMStudios
20th November 2017, 10:22 AM
I really do hope TT will consider making a Rhinox MP.

BigTransformerTrev
20th November 2017, 10:30 AM
But Primal was a considerably simpler transformation. Bipedal animal becoming bipedal robot, Primal is by far the simplest MP to transform. Dinobot is completely different with his transformation and considerably more complex.

Fair point, though given I don't actually own Primal and nobody has Dinobot yet will have to take your word for it, but it seems a reasonable assumption.

Look at it this way, TT would have had to sacrifice robot-mode accuracy if they wanted a more accurate dino-mode and most collectors keep their figures in robot-mode.

Not necessarily, as you pointed out he is larger than many of the MP cars so more room to work with. I don't think it's unreasonable to think they have the engineering skills to provide fans with a great looking robot without that meaning that the dino-mode has to have a great big triangle hole in the side and a deformed gut.

Regarding price, he looks to be around MP-8 in height so I wouldn't think $80 is fair. Not to say I want to pay $250+ again but $80 is a bit low considering that's what the old carbot price was and he's considerably bigger than them. Then again I am a stupid man addicted to his plastic crack and probably would fork out $250 for a BW Grimlock.

I'm just saying eighty bucks is all that I would pay for a Big Grim version, given that I'm not a fan of this mold. Not that that is what the price point should be ;)

Deonasis
20th November 2017, 02:58 PM
I expect all BW MPs will also get the comicstrip-like deco that Primal was given. Otherwise, and as many have said, there is not that much repaint potential for most BW figures.

If the price drives people away perhaps Takara will once again offer MPs with store exclusive accessories. Then the whales* may buy multiple copies and everyone can rage at Takara for a change lol.

I have to believe this price is not simply set by greed as Takara would know this can be copied cheaply. He does look as complex as Megatron with all those unfortunate panels, and also like Cheetor and Primal, his robot mode is outstanding.

* this is not an offensive term.

drifand
20th November 2017, 03:19 PM
I have friends who collecting beastwars dropped the idea of getting this figure due to price.
So yes it affects collectors out there is TT is not careful.

To me the price in jpy is shocking for RRP, but it is what it is. Hope you guys have fun with this fig.

graza78
20th November 2017, 03:38 PM
I have friends who collecting beastwars dropped the idea of getting this figure due to price.
So yes it affects collectors out there is TT is not careful.

To me the price in jpy is shocking for RRP, but it is what it is. Hope you guys have fun with this fig.

No way I'm paying retail for this either. Rather wait for a KO. TT are charging almost titan class prices for this.

Tober
20th November 2017, 06:37 PM
Primal was much simpler due to the CGI cartoon being based on the toy. Dinobot's CGI transformation was heavily modified.

Comparing the MP to the toon Raptor, he's not too far off. Admittedly I don't like the gaps either, so maybe a 3rd party developer will create gap-fillers for it.

Lord_Zed
20th November 2017, 07:15 PM
Well the jury's out till we get the toy, the same applies to Sunstreaker and Megatron (cause I don't have one yet) to see what sort of complexity they use to justify the price hike for each toy.

To be fair to the designers I think the beast modes look pretty good considering what they are trying to achieve. I'm really struggling to think of any organic looking transformers that have lithe organic beast modes with this level of articulation. Robotic beast modes aren't held to the same scrutiny so no comparison there. Some of the larger rounder box shaped animals maybe, but I don't think that's a fair comparison. Characters like Cheetor, Dinobot, Airrazor and Blackarachnia are always going to have make sacrifices for their organic beast modes.

No way I'm paying retail for this either. Rather wait for a KO. TT are charging almost titan class prices for this.

To be fair to TT, you're just paying for plastic and size in a Titan class, there's minimal parts and bugger all engineering in them, their transformations could be done in a Legends toy.

bowspearer
20th November 2017, 11:13 PM
Well the jury's out till we get the toy, the same applies to Sunstreaker and Megatron (cause I don't have one yet) to see what sort of complexity they use to justify the price hike for each toy.

Is it? If that Generations book section scan is anything to go by, it looks like there are not only a stack of parts, but that it's far easier to count the parts which don't move in the transformation than the parts which do.

Characters like Cheetor, Dinobot, Airrazor and Blackarachnia are always going to have make sacrifices for their organic beast modes.

Where has there been a perfect beast mode on a BW MP figure to date? Primal's legs and inner arms had robot kibble, while Cheetor's back legs might as well scream out "I'm a robot". Given that MP Dinobot might as well have been released as a plastic Popple, TT have to be given credit here for minimising the kibble to the degree they did. It could easily have been far worse.

To be fair to TT, you're just paying for plastic and size in a Titan class, there's minimal parts and bugger all engineering in them, their transformations could be done in a Legends toy.

If not a minicon.

1orion2many
21st November 2017, 12:42 AM
I only collect MP's now and BW figures have been a favourite of mine since they first came out so pre-ordering was a no brainer for me. I was hoping the price would be adjusted but at this stage it looks like it could be accurate. I'm not complaining (much :D) as the robot form looks near perfect and the beast form is acceptable;)

hYpNoS
21st November 2017, 04:15 AM
All bw mp's have repaint potential but it needs to be REALLY obscure, think cheetor for example.

Either remove the metallic and use flat/bare plastics or just do a tigertron deco...wait what's that, not accurate to tigertron even with a heavy retool?

Make him in white, new face, make him a predacon and give him some weird backstory much like mp exhaust, simple

Verno
22nd November 2017, 08:45 AM
Why does it need to be obscure? Lazorbeak, Buzz Saw, Grimlock. They seem quite obvious.

Starscream77
22nd November 2017, 09:05 AM
that price tag for a dino mode with huge gaps in it is ludicrous

surely they could design panels that line up and fold away as to not hinder bot mode.. well for that price you would expect A1 engineering in both modes

philby
22nd November 2017, 01:56 PM
that price tag for a dino mode with huge gaps in it is ludicrous

surely they could design panels that line up and fold away as to not hinder bot mode.. well for that price you would expect A1 engineering in both modes

Maybe they could but it would cost more? Maybe this is the best compromise they could get with bot mode accuracy prioritized?

griffin
23rd November 2017, 07:15 AM
Scans from another Hobby magazine in Japan (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/11/22/masterpiece-dinobot-new-images-figure-oh-magazine-238-354013), showing off more images of Dinobot, and some of the added features and accessories.

FruitBuyer
23rd November 2017, 08:02 AM
Man Dinobot has really been getting juiced up on the nucleon.

Galvatran
19th July 2018, 09:28 PM
Why no excitement on impending release? *yawn*

1AZRAEL1
19th July 2018, 09:37 PM
Been so long everyone be excited again when it's closer.

Tober
19th July 2018, 11:30 PM
Why no excitement on impending release? *yawn*

The rest...is silence.

:o

DELTAprime
19th July 2018, 11:46 PM
I hate to bring it up but I think the price of Dinobot and Megatron kills of excitement in these figures. Even though they are amazing figures some people will pass them over and not care just cause of the price.

I'm getting both, but I think I'm in the minority.

graza78
20th July 2018, 02:11 AM
I hate to bring it up but I think the price of Dinobot and Megatron kills of excitement in these figures. Even though they are amazing figures some people will pass them over and not care just cause of the price.

I've skipped them both. Loved MP Primal but not gonna pay half a grand for a t-rex with lights and sounds with Japanese voiceover. Its over excessive pricing.

Lord_Zed
28th July 2018, 12:37 AM

I'm excited and I just got charged for Dinobot, however at this time of year we get a lot of exciting releases, SDCC, TFCON (for me Gencon) plus popcorn movie season, and there's only so much excitement to go round.

I'm in for Megs too, I agree he's overpriced but I'd rather pay more for a premium item I really want then get a bunch of cheaper items that cut corners and don't really do anything for me.

That's sort of why I don't really collect the TF mainline anymore, the cost cutting on the toys just became to jarring.

29th July 2018, 02:16 AM
In-hands:

http://higekumatoytoy.blog60.fc2.com/blog-entry-2872.html

http://higekumatoytoy.blog60.fc2.com/blog-entry-2873.html

http://higekumatoytoy.blog60.fc2.com/blog-entry-2874.html

http://higekumatoytoy.blog60.fc2.com/blog-entry-2875.html

griffin
30th July 2018, 07:34 PM
Also, links to a couple of videos (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/27/takara-tomy-beast-wars-masterpiece-mp-41-dinobot-in-hand-images-369009) demonstrating the main gimmicks of the light up eyes and rotating tail weapon.

MayzaPrime
31st July 2018, 11:02 AM
Got my shipping notification yesterday night. Can't wait until it arrives :D

3rd August 2018, 10:22 PM
There are reports of broken shoulders in quite a few Dinobot figures.

The peg that sits in the notch (circled in the pic below (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/takaratomy-masterpiece-dinobot.1099935/page-620#post-16012272)) shears off because the two ratchets on either side are too stiff:

https://i.imgur.com/lmvgBCd.jpg?1

Picture (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/takaratomy-masterpiece-dinobot.1099935/page-625#post-16014029) of the damage:

https://i.imgur.com/8hzoeX2.jpg?1

Another pic (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/takaratomy-masterpiece-dinobot.1099935/page-607#post-16006652):

https://i.imgur.com/FgkU2me.jpg?1

The recommendation is to apply some type of lubricant to both sets of ratchet teeth and the peg and notch area.

Even simple dishwashing detergent is a good enough lubricant as can be seen from the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PsePfBRld0

loophole
4th August 2018, 09:45 AM
I got to play with mine last night. Already heard about the shoulder "issue" so applied some lube to the joints and was careful like I usually am with a new MP figure and didn't jave any issues.
Getting everything in the right spot for his bot mode can be a bit tricky and he is a big bot!!

Galvatran
4th August 2018, 05:07 PM
^ What brand of lube did you use? Vaseline?

Jetfire in the sky
7th August 2018, 02:40 PM
In the first pic it looks like the tab isn't married up properly in its slot, perhaps if it was then it would have more strength and be less likely to shear off. Bummer of a design flaw on such a magnificent toy.

GALVATOM
7th August 2018, 04:39 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/takaratomy-masterpiece-dinobot.1099935/page-649

Regarding this shoulder ratchet issue TFW2005 user Big Broad Rim has posted a solution using E-Clips.

Post # 12963 in the thread I have linked above.

Quite a clever solution I think though I'm yet to try it myself and don't know if I'll have to yet, my Dinobot is still about a week or so away from arriving.

8th August 2018, 05:01 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/takaratomy-masterpiece-dinobot.1099935/page-649

Regarding this shoulder ratchet issue TFW2005 user Big Broad Rim has posted a solution using E-Clips.

Post # 12963 in the thread I have linked above.

Quite a clever solution I think though I'm yet to try it myself and don't know if I'll have to yet, my Dinobot is still about a week or so away from arriving.

Post has been updated with e clip size and lube recommendation:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/takaratomy-masterpiece-dinobot.1099935/page-649#post-16026396

Galvatran
8th August 2018, 05:32 PM
Post has been updated with e clip size and lube recommendation:
Silicone lube hey.

graza78
8th August 2018, 05:38 PM
Shouldn't have to make modifications to an official figure, especially at this premium pricepoint. If its broken, request a replacement...

UltraMarginal
8th August 2018, 06:19 PM
I'm packing to move, so big bots like this are stying boxed for the moment. one thing I did note was how heavy the box is. it's really heavy.

graza78
8th August 2018, 06:28 PM
I'm packing to move, so big bots like this are stying boxed for the moment. one thing I did note was how heavy the box is. it's really heavy.

I think thats the weight of the stand!

1AZRAEL1
8th August 2018, 06:54 PM
I think thats the weight of the stand!

Nah, could the weight of his conscience....

yoshi594
9th August 2018, 01:13 AM
does anyone know if there's an asia exclusive item that came with dinobot? coin? or is the golden disc the bonus item ?

9th August 2018, 02:18 AM
Shouldn't have to make modifications to an official figure, especially at this premium pricepoint. If its broken, request a replacement...

I agree. Sadly TT's QC has gone to sh!t in recent years that it's likely to have affected all the figures and a swap may get you an even worse one.

Plus getting a few dollars worth of clips and lube will be cheaper than sending it back.

So $1.10 for e clips (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-5-2-2-5-3-3-5-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-12-15-Stainless-Steel-E-Clip-Snap-Ring-Circlip/322711977537?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.S EED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D57394 1306871445ebaa3e681cc2a5dd4%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D 5%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D222292533278%26itm%3D322711977 537&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A28c23985-9b26-11e8-bacc-74dbd180a883%7Cparentrq%3A1a51a4bf1650ab6a9fc8a920 fffdfa4b%7Ciid%3A1) on eBay and $5 for lube (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Herschell-Silicone-Paste-Grease-Tube-100g/402033) at Supercheap Auto (if you sign up to Club Plus (http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/clubplus)).

You can get a small pot of silicon grease on eBay for $1.10 (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Waterproof-Silicone-Grease-Watch-Cream-Upkeep-Repair-Restorer-Tool-Household/132303450668?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.S EED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D53394%26meid%3D17a76f3ee4ac47 ddad1367091701beb4%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3 D8%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D322711977537%26itm%3D132303 450668&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042), but i'm not sure i'd trust it to put on a $300 figure.

does anyone know if there's an asia exclusive item that came with dinobot? coin? or is the golden disc the bonus item ?

There wasn't an Asia release, something about not passing safety laws or not being up to quality standards (surprise, surprise).

yoshi594
9th August 2018, 02:39 AM
There wasn't an Asia release, something about not passing safety laws or not being up to quality standards (surprise, surprise).

whaaaaaat. noooooooo! i spent extra to get him from robotkingdom hoping for something extra :( :( :(

9th August 2018, 02:54 AM
whaaaaaat. noooooooo! i spent extra to get him from robotkingdom hoping for something extra :( :( :(

Yeah, I got him locally hoping for the same thing. :mad: :(

hYpNoS
11th August 2018, 08:34 PM
So I just transformed mine no hassles, but its clear the ratchet on the known troubled side is gonna fail, it doesn't sit in the same position as the other, and when it rotates it sorta gets stuck half way until the movement is completed.

I could go the c-clip fix but I'm tempted to use the dishwashing liquid trick but tell me, wouldn't that dry up sometime, how safe is it?

I just want an easy fix, and unlike trypticon I can't just ram a bit of plastic to gum up the ratchets :(

Trent
11th August 2018, 09:42 PM
So I just transformed mine no hassles, but its clear the ratchet on the known troubled side is gonna fail, it doesn't sit in the same position as the other, and when it rotates it sorta gets stuck half way until the movement is completed.

I could go the c-clip fix but I'm tempted to use the dishwashing liquid trick but tell me, wouldn't that dry up sometime, how safe is it?

I just want an easy fix, and unlike trypticon I can't just ram a bit of plastic to gum up the ratchets :(

The long term problem with dishwashing liquid is that it would go sticky and then you get all manner of dust and whatever sticking to it and while it is pretty unlikely, it could go mouldy. I'd go the silicone grease.

hYpNoS
12th August 2018, 01:35 AM
The long term problem with dishwashing liquid is that it would go sticky and then you get all manner of dust and whatever sticking to it and while it is pretty unlikely, it could go mouldy. I'd go the silicone grease.

Aww, ok, better break out the wallet and hope someone at the local super cheap can point me out

12th August 2018, 03:22 AM
Aww, ok, better break out the wallet and hope someone at the local super cheap can point me out

Just pay online and pick it up at the front desk of your local -- that way you can sign up to use the Club Plus credit and get 2.10% back with Cashrewards.