PDA

View Full Version : KO Transformers Classics Cliffjumper custom upgrade set

Soundwarp
14th October 2008, 07:18 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com.sg/Transformers-Classics-Cliffjumper-custom-upgrade-set_W0QQitemZ370097097922QQihZ024QQcategoryZ4696QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"It includes

1- custom weapon

2- custom spoilers

3- custom head

4- custom bumpers

All you need to make your Cliffjumper the way he's suppose to be designed, a small bad-ass Autobot ready to kick some decepticreep butt. Note : What you see is what you'd be receiving. All parts are made from resin, hand made items, so there's bound to be minimal differences between each pieces. Instructions are included for you to get your CF up to speed. Also the pictures depicted are to show the parts included in the auction. There would be slight different in paint appts as some parts are airbrushed / hand applied. "

OK i am going to assume that this guy has illegally made a copy mould of the original and is now flogging them off....

TheDirtyDigger
14th October 2008, 07:31 AM
Just going by the pic, the large weapon looks to be not near the exquisite quality of the kit Kyle procured for us.

Golden Phoenix
14th October 2008, 10:17 AM
I've seen heaps of these put up by the same guy. I posted about it a month or so ago.
Kyle said it was fake.

Kyle
14th October 2008, 11:00 AM
Warning on TFW2005:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-toy-discussion/190035-knock-off-cliffjumper-upgrade-kit-warning.html

So yes the one in this auction is definitely not an original.

I'm surprised they use their own pics. :p

Soundwarp
14th October 2008, 06:48 PM
Man that just aint cool.

Tiby
15th October 2008, 08:24 PM
Drop the legal bomb in these guys!

Soundwarp
16th October 2008, 07:46 AM
Can we?

Is the other one really that legal?

MV75
16th October 2008, 07:58 AM
I really don't care.

The original was just a fan kit, this one is just a ko of that fan kit. Yes it's still IP theft by the people doing the ko, but it just depends on how strongly you feel about the original company to want to help them. EG: will this impact on them from producing more of the upgrade kits that they won't be making again anyway?

Soundwarp
16th October 2008, 08:03 AM
In that case i really do care about the original company as they have been very good to us.

Kyle
16th October 2008, 09:51 AM
I really don't care.

The original was just a fan kit, this one is just a ko of that fan kit. Yes it's still IP theft by the people doing the ko, but it just depends on how strongly you feel about the original company to want to help them. EG: will this impact on them from producing more of the upgrade kits that they won't be making again anyway?

This will actually impact on FansProject's reputation. The "copy" shown in the pics look very rough compared to the original. If unsuspecting people purchase an inferior copy and thinking they got an original, they'll be disappointed by the quality and blame it on FansProject. :( So less people will have confidence in FansProject's future projects, which leads to less preorders and online stores not carrying FansProject's future items.

The *very least* this particular eBay seller could have done is to state very clearly in his auction that what he sells is a copy, and not an original.

MV75
16th October 2008, 11:36 AM
Sorry, that won't cut the mustard here. That works for hasbro/takara, yes, but not a fan made kit.

People who buy those kits know what they're buying and what it should look like, and won't have consumer mentality towards the original company. It's not a general on the shelf item like "offical" stuff is. ;) So no, it won't impact their future kits at all due to lack of consumer confidence.

But what they do know now is to produce more of the kits in the future, as I see the only reason this ko exists is due to demand outstripping supply. The thing that may make people not like the original company is the fact they made the run too limited.

And no, I don't condone the ko, and would encourage the original company to go legal on the ko, but really, the ko looks so shite that there's no mistake in what it is, (as I said before, the type of people that buy these things would notice the shocking quality immediately, unless you're an american who laps up ko's), and wouldn't want to buy the ko, nor think it's original.

TheDirtyDigger
16th October 2008, 11:43 AM
What I like about the Kyle-procured kit (apart from all of it) is the quality of the plastic of the guns. It just feels and looks sturdy and special to me.

griffin
16th October 2008, 11:53 AM
They may need to have some sort of 'proof of authenticity' with their product, at least until a repro mob copy that as well.
I guess if FP were only going to do limited runs of their stuff, that cost a fortune on the secondary market because demand was so high, someone was bound to see the potential of reproducing it for profit.

griffin
16th October 2008, 11:59 AM
What I like about the Kyle-procured kit (apart from all of it) is the quality of the plastic of the guns. It just feels and looks sturdy and special to me.

And I think that's the problem with the repro'd kits (like with the repro/KO TFs), in that ebay auction photos may not tip off people to realise it isn't the real thing. So when they get it, they think that all FP kits are of that poor quality and never buy any more, or worse, tell others how crappy the FP stuff is. That's the problem Hasbro has with some of the really dodgy KOs out there (like the paper-fragile Swoops), in that it could put off unsuspecting customers from buying Hasbro product ever again, thinking they are a dodgy, low QC producer - something they get when you buy one of their real toys... :p

Fortunately for the internet, the *majority* of serious collectors who buy these FP things, can find out what's real and what's not, and ultimately not affect FPs reputation (as can be seen with the interest and demand of their other stuff).
It's just disheartening to see someone profiteering off one's creative efforts though, even if your reputation of quality is still intact.

Soundwarp
16th October 2008, 07:12 PM
Sorry, that won't cut the mustard here. That works for hasbro/takara, yes, but not a fan made kit.

People who buy those kits know what they're buying and what it should look like, and won't have consumer mentality towards the original company. It's not a general on the shelf item like "offical" stuff is. ;) So no, it won't impact their future kits at all due to lack of consumer confidence.

But what they do know now is to produce more of the kits in the future, as I see the only reason this ko exists is due to demand outstripping supply. The thing that may make people not like the original company is the fact they made the run too limited.

And no, I don't condone the ko, and would encourage the original company to go legal on the ko, but really, the ko looks so shite that there's no mistake in what it is, (as I said before, the type of people that buy these things would notice the shocking quality immediately, unless you're an american who laps up ko's), and wouldn't want to buy the ko, nor think it's original.

Dude there is no way possible for you to know that for facts!

MV75
16th October 2008, 07:17 PM
Sure there would be those that wouldn't notice, but really, the types of people that buy these kits are more "turned on" than the general consumer who buys a KO devastator for $100. :)

I'm saying that the clientel for these kits are the more intelligent consumers, yourself included. :) Afterall, you picked it up that there is a KO kit of it. :) The other people that pursue these kits are in the same league as you, me, and the majority of other people here, they know when they see a KO and wouldn't hold a grudge against the original company if they did buy the KO.

Soundwarp
17th October 2008, 07:16 AM
Fair call

Kyle
17th October 2008, 08:20 AM

They had to make their Cliffjumper kits limited because they did not know the demand and didn't want to get burnt for making too many. They won't make more because they don't want those who bought their kits for the "limited-ness" to feel cheated.

Now they know the demand, they have already made the availability of their new City Commander kit much much better. They will continue to produce more of their new kits in future.

something they get when you buy one of their real toys... :p

:p

MV75
17th October 2008, 08:58 AM
Yep, as I said, they know now to make more of them, (not specifically cliffjumper kits, but future runs of kits is what I meant), hence what you said about the city commander. :)

And yea, Griffin made a funny. :D

Pulse
17th October 2008, 12:42 PM
They had to make their Cliffjumper kits limited because they did not know the demand and didn't want to get burnt for making too many. They won't make more because they don't want those who bought their kits for the "limited-ness" to feel cheated.

Eh, I wished they'd thought of the greater good :). An "Encore Run" would be so sweet! ;)

kup
17th October 2008, 01:01 PM
Eh, I wished they'd thought of the greater good :). An "Encore Run" would be so sweet! ;)

Wouldn't that step on HasTak's toes?

Its best for them to stick to high in demand accessory kits like they are doing now.

Fan Projects seem to be intune with what fans feel was missing from the HasTak releases. Reprolabels have a similar mentality with their upgrade kits.

Soundwarp
17th October 2008, 02:47 PM
Totally agree Kup and with more Classics coming they should have plenty of buisness.

MV75
17th October 2008, 03:45 PM
Yep, agreed, just stick with current and future toys.

Although I only really liked things like the ironhide/ratchet heads. Those really do add to those toys and make them what they should have been. Otherwise I'm not too fussed on unoffical kits.

But I would like to see them do something like a proper fists/feet kit for the coming energon combiners. I still can't get over those stupid things that try and pass for hands/feet. Those sorts of things would really add to it and make the toy more in line with the box art that has fists.

Pulse
17th October 2008, 04:20 PM
Wouldn't that step on HasTak's toes?

Its best for them to stick to high in demand accessory kits like they are doing now.

Fan Projects seem to be intune with what fans feel was missing from the HasTak releases. Reprolabels have a similar mentality with their upgrade kits.

Probably (But I heard Hastak's got pretty big feet... :D)

If Jizaitoys have an agreement with TT, it'd be pretty sweet if Fan's Project could reach a similar deal :) (just not as exclusive as Jizaitoy's one).

Kyle
17th October 2008, 09:32 PM
Personally, I would like to see a much better and proper gun for Movie Leader/Premium Optimus Prime myself... :p

Soundwarp
17th October 2008, 09:36 PM
Nudge nudge wink wink if you know what he means :p