PDA

View Full Version : TF6 Bumblebee stand-alone film (2018) production news

M-bot
3rd March 2017, 03:17 PM
According to Deadline.com, the Bumblebee stand-alone film has had Travis Knight reported as director. Knight, whose recent film "Kubo and the Two Strings" has been winning acclaim recently including an Oscar nomination for Best Animated Feature.

Original article here: http://deadline.com/2017/03/bumblebee-movie-travis-knight-director-kubo-and-the-two-strings-1202034882/

Trent
3rd March 2017, 05:40 PM
Interesting choice.

After reading his wiki I'm confused as to why he was picked. He's nothing like Bay.

Having said that, Hoo-bloody-Ray! A director that isn't Bay! At least he can't be any worse

GoktimusPrime
3rd March 2017, 07:01 PM
I really enjoyed Kubo and the Two Strings. I'm cautiously optimistic for the Bumblebee spin off film now.

SMHFConvoy
4th March 2017, 02:32 AM
I really enjoyed Kubo and the Two Strings. I'm cautiously optimistic for the Bumblebee spin off film now.

Same. But I hope to God this film won't kick me in the feels like Kubo did.

GoktimusPrime
4th March 2017, 06:03 PM
Right in the feels was what was so great about Kubo and something that has been utterly lacking in the Bay-directed TF films! I'd rather have a movie that made me care too much about the characters than too little.

G1Optimal
5th March 2017, 10:38 AM
Isn't bay still exective producer?

GoktimusPrime
5th March 2017, 01:23 PM
Isn't bay still exective producer?
Yes, but it's the director who calls the shots. The executive producer overseas finances (e.g. funding, accounts management, copyrights, royalties, budget etc.). It is the director who directs the making of a film. The director is also legally recognised as the author of a film.
e.g.
Stanley Kubrick's Clockwork Orange
Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill
Kurosawa Akira's Seven Samurai
Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings
George Lucas' Star Wars A New Hope, The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, & Revenge of the Sith
Irvin Kershner's Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back
Richard Marquand's Star Wars Return of the Jedi
JJ Abrams' Star Wars The Force Awakens
Gareth Edwards' Star Wars Rogue One

I've worked on a few student films and a short film before, and it is absolutely the director who calls all the shots.

djanscak
5th March 2017, 03:36 PM
it is absolutely the director who calls all the shots.

Except when it isn't: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Smithee

:-)

G1Optimal
5th March 2017, 05:01 PM
I see

philby
5th March 2017, 09:49 PM
ok but what if you like the director but he still gets given a crap script? or instructions from higher up? does michael bay choose how much product placement goes into each movie and how intrusive it is? or how many scenes/shots that linger onto an attractive young female? etc?

GoktimusPrime
5th March 2017, 10:36 PM
ok but what if you like the director but he still gets given a crap script?
Firstly, let me just say that my opinions on Michael Bay's work as a film director are not the same as my opinions on him as a person. Having briefly met Bay IRL I found him to be a reasonably friendly and approachable person. So when you say, "like the director," yeah, I like Michael Bay enough as a person. This has no bearing on my feelings about his work though.

When a director is given a script it is up to him/her to decide how closely they want to stick to the script or whether they should deviate from it. A movie is essentially a film adaptation of the script. One example of just how different a movie can be under two directors is Superman II, when you compare Richard Lester's vs Richard Donner's cut (http://www.coolasscinema.com/2013/06/superman-2-1981-richard-lester-versus.html).

or instructions from higher up?
The director is the lead authority in the making of the film. If the producer doesn't like it, then s/he can replace the director (as happened with Richard Donner on Superman II), but ultimately the director is still in charge.

does michael bay choose how much product placement goes into each movie and how intrusive it is? or how many scenes/shots that linger onto an attractive young female? etc?
Pretty much as directed by the director. Sponsors may stipulate conditions as to how their product may be portrayed on screen.
e.g. In Slumdog Millionaire Mercedes Benz refused to allow their brand to be seen in a slum. As a result, the Mercedes that were shot in the slum sets had their logos digitally removed in post production. I'm assuming that this was likely because they only found out about this after the principal photography had been done, because doing it digitally is much, much more expensive than simply removing or covering up logos (known as "greeking"). And Michael Bay has admitted that he shoots the gratuitous shots of girls to appeal to chest-thumping teenage jocks. :rolleyes:

I personally don't mind the product placement TBH. It helps to ground the films in reality when you see recognisable brands and products. Cos in the TV series where brands and products are fictitious, it just doesn't feel as 'real.' e.g. G1 felt more real because they had vehicles like VW Beetle, F15 Eagles, Datsun Fairladies etc. When I see these things IRL it makes me think of Transformers. When I watch shows like TF Prime and the current RiD series with their made-up vehicle models and other products, it just doesn't make the same real-world connection. And we know that G1 started losing steam when alt modes shifted more heavily towards made-up fantasy modes instead of real world ones. The golden "Gee Wun" period is the one that has more real-world based alt modes. Heck, just look at Masterpiece. With the sole exceptions of Grimlock and Star Sabre, every MP figure is based on a real world thing. Same with Binaltech/Alternators/Alternity. These lines just wouldn't be the same if they just used generic or approximated vehicle makes.

philby
6th March 2017, 10:40 AM
Firstly, let me just say that my opinions on Michael Bay's work as a film director are not the same as my opinions on him as a person. Having briefly met Bay IRL I found him to be a reasonably friendly and approachable person. So when you say, "like the director," yeah, I like Michael Bay enough as a person. This has no bearing on my feelings about his work though.

When a director is given a script it is up to him/her to decide how closely they want to stick to the script or whether they should deviate from it. A movie is essentially a film adaptation of the script. One example of just how different a movie can be under two directors is Superman II, when you compare Richard Lester's vs Richard Donner's cut (http://www.coolasscinema.com/2013/06/superman-2-1981-richard-lester-versus.html).

The director is the lead authority in the making of the film. If the producer doesn't like it, then s/he can replace the director (as happened with Richard Donner on Superman II), but ultimately the director is still in charge.

Pretty much as directed by the director. Sponsors may stipulate conditions as to how their product may be portrayed on screen.
e.g. In Slumdog Millionaire Mercedes Benz refused to allow their brand to be seen in a slum. As a result, the Mercedes that were shot in the slum sets had their logos digitally removed in post production. I'm assuming that this was likely because they only found out about this after the principal photography had been done, because doing it digitally is much, much more expensive than simply removing or covering up logos (known as "greeking"). And Michael Bay has admitted that he shoots the gratuitous shots of girls to appeal to chest-thumping teenage jocks. :rolleyes:

I personally don't mind the product placement TBH. It helps to ground the films in reality when you see recognisable brands and products. Cos in the TV series where brands and products are fictitious, it just doesn't feel as 'real.' e.g. G1 felt more real because they had vehicles like VW Beetle, F15 Eagles, Datsun Fairladies etc. When I see these things IRL it makes me think of Transformers. When I watch shows like TF Prime and the current RiD series with their made-up vehicle models and other products, it just doesn't make the same real-world connection. And we know that G1 started losing steam when alt modes shifted more heavily towards made-up fantasy modes instead of real world ones. The golden "Gee Wun" period is the one that has more real-world based alt modes. Heck, just look at Masterpiece. With the sole exceptions of Grimlock and Star Sabre, every MP figure is based on a real world thing. Same with Binaltech/Alternators/Alternity. These lines just wouldn't be the same if they just used generic or approximated vehicle makes.

i'm not talking about product placement as in cars, i'm talking about a robot being thrown into a gigantic in your face ad for victorias secret :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
6th March 2017, 11:28 PM
Eh, again, still helps ground the story into reality for me. Buses do carry adverts on them. e.g. the fight between Superman and the Kryptonian criminals in Metropolis. We see things like a Marlboro truck being slammed into a bus (Superman even has to climb out of said truck), one of the Kryptonians being smashed through a Coca-Cola neon sign etc. Or heck, when I see movies that were filmed in Sydney and you can see certain store signs, that really makes it feel more real for me. e.g. the Grace Bros (now Myer) sign falling in Superman Returns, or the Gowings sign in that 1995 Power Rangers movie (although the inexcusably bad CG Megazord totally ruined it :p) etc. These things just help ground these films into reality for me.

And importantly, I find that the movies don't stall for these product placed adverts. e.g. all the references to eBay in the first movie - and remember, I hate eBay. But the product placement didn't feel jarring to me because, well... that's how some people talk. Telling people that you're selling something on eBay, asking about an eBay item, saying that you found something on eBay etc. Although I must confess that I do roll my eyes when characters both show and state the names of products in an unnatural fashion. e.g. Jerry Wang asking his colleague, "May I finish my Shihua(TM) Milk." or Joshua Joyce manipulating Transformium to change into a portable speaker as he says, "You like music? The Pill(TM)." -- who talks like that (outside of a commercial)? But most other product placements in the films are usually so brief that you'd miss them if you blinked. And of course, sponsors help pay for the film whereas there's nothing to be gained by writing weak stories.

Seraphim Prime
8th March 2017, 10:20 AM
The lingering female shots is more just Bay doing what he thinks is funny, and what he thinks appeals to a certain aspect of the market that this film is aimed for - teenage/early 20's men.

Whether it's specific Victoria's Secret or just generic T&A, I think the connection more comes from Bay's other association with VS (doing a bunch of their commercials), similar to how he uses his military contacts to have actual military officers act out military operations.

GoktimusPrime
8th March 2017, 09:49 PM
Boys. Not men. His target audience is boys. Possibly manchildren, but not men.

philby
10th March 2017, 12:48 PM
'keeps the movies grounded'??? i'm gonna have to disagree with you, on that one ;)

LOL

"Transformers: Age of Extinction - Worst Product Placement Movie Ever"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs5bbWSrzBQ

GoktimusPrime
10th March 2017, 07:26 PM
Yeah, after watching AoE the other night on Channel 99 I felt like disagreeing with myself. The grounding effect only works to a certain point but AoE really took it waaay over the top. Like the way that every single freakin' logo has to be centre screen and directly facing the audience... it really looked like a series of TV commercials. Sheesh. I'd forgotten just how blatantly bad it was. It reminded me of this scene from Wayne's World (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjB6r-HDDI0).

philby
10th March 2017, 08:23 PM
Like the way that every single freakin' logo has to be centre screen and directly facing the audience... it really looked like a series of TV commercials. Sheesh. I'd forgotten just how blatantly bad it was.

yeah thats what i was meaning. i tried to watch some clips of supeman fighting zod and one of them is around a 7-eleven store which you see the logo a few times, but its always off to the side or in the background. AoE makes them the actual focus of the shot. you don't see robots fighting and crash into a bus, you see a bus with victoria's secret advertising front and centre and it happens to get hit by a robot.

Anyways...so I guess my original comment in this thread about this kinda stuff was that how much of those kind of shots come from the director and how much will be from hasbro or the studio financing it? that's why I was asking does the choice of director really matter if we want to move on from those kind of shots?

GoktimusPrime
10th March 2017, 09:38 PM
I'd say it's the director (although the producer may have influence too), particularly with Michael Bay who we know started his career directing commercials. In the DVD commentary of The Island, Bay said that he deliberately included product advertisements for "greater realism." Which I think works if it's incidental or to the side and not in the audience's face. It really feels more like Bay's thing rather than Spielberg's, don't you think?

Magnus
11th March 2017, 10:03 PM
Product placement is a tricky one. The upsides are that the use of real products makes a movie more realistic/believable since real-world products are being used instead of genericised ones, and that money from the product placement deal is money that goes into the production and helps pay for things. Practical effects, location shooting, CGI - it isn't cheap, and it adds up.

The downside is that making the shot too blatant or in-your-face tends to be distracting or can take the viewer 'out of the movie', particularly if there are a lot of them. In this regard, I think I, Robot was at least as bad as anything we've seen in the Transformers series. That said, it's not hard to imagine that a company would want its product or brand to be featured prominently, since they're paying for 'advertising space'. In fact, Paramount got sued in 2014 (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-transformers-suit-paramount-pictures-20140723-story.html) by a Chinese travel company because a product placement shot featuring a logo didn't make it into AoE. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-pictures-sued-27m-china-888094) (The outcome is reported here. (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/paramount-fined-chinese-transformers-4-dispute-941937))

Smint
11th March 2017, 11:01 PM
I think he'd get credit for executive producer credit so the studios can use his name...his movies have been financially successful after all.

But good choice anyway. Maybe we'll finally get a watchable Transformers movie.

griffin
16th May 2017, 12:16 AM
The logo for the sixth movie, currently referred to as the Bumblebee Movie, is said to now be trademarked in America (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/05/14/transformers-bumblebee-movie-logo-revealed-338913).
It looks a bit like the angry bee image that featured on the "Bee-otch" air freshener inside the Bumblebee car in the 2007 Movie (which was very similar to an existing air freshener (http://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/s480x480/e35/14592090_1125248264256930_3610260470050586624_n.jp g?ig_cache_key=MTM5MjUzOTY0ODAyMjMwNjEyNQ%3D%3D.2) ).

griffin
17th May 2017, 06:57 PM
Another Bumblebee trademark has been found (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/05/17/yet-another-new-transformers-trademark-bee-vision-339076), called "Bee Vision", specifically relating to role play toys like Masks, and the usual convertible toys concept.

Trademark Name: Bee Vision
Trademark Description: Toy masks; role-play toys; toy action figures, toy vehicles and toy robots convertible into other visual toy forms

This is most likely a line-wide gimmick for next year's movie toys (like, to see hidden decos on the toys by wearing a special Bumblebee mask... similar to the 1980s techspec decoders), but we will have to wait a couple months first to see if it shows up during this movie's toyline.

griffin
24th May 2017, 03:41 PM
An early promo poster at the Licensing Expo on in America this week (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/05/23/transfomers-bumblebee-spinoff-poster-licensing-expo-2017-339431), for the Bumblebee movie... so, nothing revealing, as it just has a big Bumblebee head and the release month.
It includes a "Transformers Universe" logo on it though, which could be a temporary thing for this promo poster, or something Hasbro will be featuring on their future Transformers movies (because when you start including numbers beyond 4 or 5 it makes the concept look tired and old... most sequels do worse than the first movie, and more so with later sequels).
Besides, focusing on the titles rather than the numbers makes it easier to remember the different movies, especially when you have the next few so close to each other... you need investors and retailers to distinguish between them when they are currently dealing with things that are a year or two away.

griffin
26th June 2017, 05:16 PM
Filming is set to begin in August for the sixth movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/06/24/bumblebee-spinoff-feature-vw-beetle-filming-set-august-342556), and there was a tease of it including a VW Bug... but could just be like the first movie, or a brief in-joke if Bumblebee takes on a few different disguises.

Apparently Actress Hailee Steinfeld is signed on for this movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/06/11/hailee-steinfeld-confirmed-bumblebee-movie-341519).... who at the age of just 20 already has an extensive acting resume and list of awards (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hailee_Steinfeld).

griffin
4th July 2017, 12:21 PM
Looks like filming begins this month (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/02/transformers-universe-bumblebee-movie-filmed-next-week-343129), for a movie that won't be released for another 12 months (June 22nd 2018). I guess they want to give themselves more time to fix problems in post-production, and not run out of time to do reshoots or edits if test audiences don't like it.

(I don't think Michael Bay ever did test audience screenings, at least, I never heard of one, as it was always being noted that he had just finished right before its release... and some people are claiming that they noticed some TF5 edits done in the two days between the advance screenings and the general release - which could be possible at some theatres, particularly in America)

It is worth noting, that no matter how bad TF5 does, this sixth movie is going ahead, and would need something really drastic to happen for it to be canned. It may see some scaling back of its scale and budget, but in one year's time we should be seeing this movie on screens here, and a whole new batch of Movie toys, which would already be well into production at the Hasbro and TakaraTomy designer offices.

griffin
7th July 2017, 10:10 PM
Halie has posted an image (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/06/bumblebee-movie-hailee-seinfeld-set-343367) of one of an empty open space, saying that she is checking out the filming site. Probably just a car park or a practice area for the stunt drivers who will be driving Bumblebee.

griffin
16th July 2017, 03:25 PM
Some more cast members announced for the 2018 movie (slated for June 8th in America), and they are all fresh, new (cheap) actors.

Jorge Lendenborg Jr (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/11/bumblebee-movie-male-lead-announced-343763) (seen in the new Spiderman movie)

And these people (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/13/transformers-universe-bumblebee-additional-cast-members-announced-343862), whom I've never heard of either, so have just quoted their names and past roles...

Jason Drucker
Abby Quinn
Rachel Crow
Ricardo Hoyos
Gracie Dzienny

The film will clearly feature a slew of young rising stars: Drucker was most recently seen in Fox’s reboot Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul. Hoyos starred on Degrassi: Next Class and also was seen in The Belko Experiment. Quinn starred opposite Jenny Slate in Gillian Robespierre’s Landline, which played at Sundance and hits theaters on July 21. Crow has appeared on the TV shows BrainSurge, Big Time Rush and Figure It Out and voiced Carla in the animated film Rio 2. Dzienny’s credits include TV series Zoo and Chasing Life.

The movie is also being noted as having a US$22 million tax credit (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/11/transformers-spinoff-bumblebee-recieve-22-million-tax-credit-343773), as an incentive for being filmed entirely in California.
It is said to be the largest tax credit for a movie, and it will mean that if there are any "foreign" locations in the story, it was filmed on a fake set (like Detroit being used as Hong Kong in TF4).
But note that the money isn't a grant or payment to the movie studio, it is just a refund at the end of the financial year IF the movie studios spend enough to rack up that much in taxes.
The movie "spending" budget will still be the same X amount of millions of dollars during filming and post-production, this just means Paramount gets back $22million on top of the box office earnings. (that said, it might also prompt them to spend a little more on the filming of the movie and/or its marketing, if they now know they have a guaranteed return of $22million before a cinema ticket has even been sold)

griffin
23rd July 2017, 12:19 PM
The budget for the 2018 Bumblebee movie has been revealed to be US$70 million (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/22/transformers-universe-bumblebee-movie-small-70-million-budget-345304) - a long way off the recent Transformers movies, but hardly a tiny amount if a movie director and producer are smart with their filming, effects and editing.
This would also just be Paramount's investment dollars into the 6th movie, as other cross-promoting businesses (like in previous movies) will be spending their money as well for their products to be featured.

Then there is the US$22 million tax credit, which may actually mean Paramount is only willing to be out of pocket US$48 million, as the 70million could be their spending money (the tax credit comes back at the end of the financial year), or could be their total liability after the tax credit comes back (giving the movie US$92 million spending money, with 22million of that being refunded later from the tax office).

The 2007 movie had the smallest budget of US$150 million, while the 2017 movie had the biggest budget of US$220 million... but just go back 10 years (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_in_film), movies over US$100 million were rare and considered big budget, while 20 years ago (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_1997_box_office_number-one_films_in_the_United_States), over US$50 million was considered "big budget" (four of the top ten highest grossing movies of 1997 cost 50million or less, while eight were under 100million, and that includes one that only cost US$3.5million).
So with a bit of sensible cost cutting (keeping filming local to where the filming equipment is stored, no expensive A-list actors, less robots and explosions means less CGI and special effects costs), the sixth Transformers movie can still be successful, if the production and script are done well, and the studio doesn't try to downplay it or market it as a "low budget" movie (which would be highlighted by media, before it's even been reviewed).
As such, if the story is good, and the directing/editing makes sense, it would make back its budget in just its first weekend.

From a casting call (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/18/transformers-universe-bumblebee-movie-casting-speaking-roles-extras-344470), we see that filming begins at the end of this month as well, from July 31st.

PROJECT DESCRIPTION:

Casting directors are looking for talent for the speaking extra roles in Paramount Pictures’ new feature film Transformers Universe: Bumblebee, which will begin shooting in Los Angeles and Northern California on July 31, 2017. Three-time Academy Award winner Steven Spielberg will executive produce along with Academy Award winner Akiva Goldsman and Lorenzo di Bonaventura. The 6th movie in the live-action Transformers film series is a spinoff which follows Bumblebee, one of Optimus Prime’s most trusted lieutenants. Starring in Transformers Universe: Bumblebee is Academy Award nominee Hailee Steinfeld playing a tomboy who also holds a job as a mechanic after school. She won’t be the only human getting in Bee’s way while he tries to do cool robot stuff. Steinfeld will be joined by relative newcomer Jorge Lendeborg Jr., who recently appeared in Spider-Man: Homecoming and has some role in the upcoming Alita: Battle Angel.

griffin
26th July 2017, 06:32 PM
Another person apparently signed up to the Bumblebee movie - Pamela Adlon (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/23/pamela-adlon-join-cast-transformers-universe-bumblebee-345354).

Adlon is to play the role of Hailee Steinfeld’s mother in the movie scripted by Christina Hodson.

Pamela Fionna Adlon is known for voicing Bobby Hill on King of the Hill, for which she won an Emmy Award, and the title character from the Pajama Sam video games. She is also known for playing Dolores in Grease 2 and Ashley Spinelli on the animated series Recess, and for her appearances on Californication and Louie, on which she is also a consulting producer. As of 2016, Adlon stars in the FX comedy television series Better Things which she co-created with Louis C.K

griffin
29th July 2017, 08:21 AM
A "casting call" has been put out (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/28/transformers-universe-bumblebee-casting-call-reveals-possible-movie-info-345765), asking for time-period cars for using in the backgrounds of scenes - late 1970s to early 1980s cars, but specifically ones that are not coloured yellow, red, white or black. This might be to make sure that they don't clash with the "robot" cars in the shot, but that seems a little strange, it's not as if people are going to see yellow cars in the background and assume one is Bumblebee.
This has led to speculation that the leaked photo of four cars of those four colours, could be actual movie (robot) cars, but we'll have to wait a while to see if that was true.

The shooting schedule is said to go from July 31st to November 15th (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/26/possible-info-transformers-universe-bumblebee-principal-photography-schedule-345511), which is three and a half months. I think that's about the right amount of time for a smaller budget movie that isn't travelling around the world, and it gives them about 6 months in editing/post-production, to make sure it gets approval from test audiences.

And one of the producers, Lorenzo Di Bonaventura (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/27/lorenzo-di-bonaventura-explains-bumblebee-transformers-6-last-knight-345633), has confirmed that filming is starting in a weeks time... and amusingly notes that since it is set in the 1980s, it won't be burdened by what happened in the 5 Michael Bay movies. He mustn't have been taking much of a lead role as producer, or couldn't follow the movies either, or else he would know that every single one of those five previous movies involved significant events that took place well before the 1980s. And each of those significant historical events can't be ignored in a 1980s movie or else there will be more contradictions that viewers will be too busy trying to process, to be able to enjoy it.

griffin
1st August 2017, 05:50 AM
The first "big" name has been announced for the Bumblebee movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/31/john-cena-joins-transformers-bumblebee-plot-details-new-release-date-announced-346027), but not big in the acting world - wrestler John Cena.
(GIJoe has Dwayne Johnson... Transformers will now have John Cena)

Plus... the release date has apparently been pushed back by six months, to December 21st 2018.
If true, it wouldn't be to give more time for filming, but more likely because it isn't considered a "big summer blockbuster" by Paramount, who would prefer a different time of year for this movie.

This will affect both Hasbro, and the production of the 7th movie.
Hasbro will have an extra 6 months on the toyline (good for them), but won't be able to promote it at the annual Toyfairs around the world (between January to April).
The 7th movie though could also be pushed back, as Paramount might not want production to start before they know how well the 6th movie does (if they want to pull the plug, or increase its budget).

griffin
1st August 2017, 09:59 PM
From the link above, the premise of the Bumblebee movie suggests that Bumblebee will indeed take on the form of a VW.

The story is set in the year 1987, where Bumblebee finds refuge in a junkyard in a small Californian beach town. Charlie (Steinfeld), on the cusp of turning 18 and trying to find her place in the world, discovers Bumblebee, battle-scarred and broken. When Charlie revives him, she quickly learns this is no ordinary, yellow VW bug.

And from this post (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/07/31/transformers-universe-bumblebee-live-action-spin-off-begins-production-346020), filming apparently started yesterday in America.

griffin
11th August 2017, 10:39 PM
Hailee's character "Charlie Watson" has been shown off (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/06/hailee-steinfield-reveals-charlie-watson-character-346534), as filming has now started.

griffin
17th August 2017, 06:21 PM
The first photo of the film crew on set (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/16/transformers-bumblebee-shoot-k-brighton-falls-launches-san-rafael-347043) in a suburban street in San Rafael (California).
Apparently they have also built the exterior of a house on a vacant block of land, so maybe it will be something they destroy in the film... as it would be a lot cheaper than destroying a real house.

BigTransformerTrev
17th August 2017, 07:45 PM
I think it is so cool Bee is going to be a VW'ub!

Can't wait to take my son to see this, the regular flicks are far too graphic and long for him.

GoktimusPrime
18th August 2017, 09:06 AM
Can't wait to take my son to see this, the regular flicks are far too graphic and long for him.
Not to mention the coarse language makes them completely inappropriate for kids. :(

griffin
24th August 2017, 06:01 AM
A couple of yellow VWs have been seen on set (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/23/volkswagen-beetle-bumblebee-spotted-set-transformers-universe-bumblebee-347348)... which should confirm the hints that Bumblebee will be back in his classic 1980s vehicle mode for this movie.

Plus a few other random photos (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/22/bumblebee-movie-location-set-pics-347328) from the filming location (not showing much though).

griffin
27th August 2017, 06:46 PM
More photos of the Bumblebee VW car (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/25/closer-look-bumblebee-set-transformers-universe-bumblebee-347418).

UltraMarginal
28th August 2017, 02:26 PM
I feel like I should know better, but I can't help getting excited seeing Bumblebee as a yellow VW on set. It instantly feels familiar.

griffin
30th August 2017, 06:05 PM
A couple more photos (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/08/30/transformers-universe-bumblebee-principal-photography-moved-mount-tamalpais-347595) of the VWs on set out in the hills of California. (now there's three of them)

griffin
8th September 2017, 06:35 AM
An interview with the Supervising Location Manager (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-universe-bumblebee-interview-with-jonathan-hook-on-location-and-production/39450/), Jonathan Hook, about his role on the Bumblebee movie. (not very long)

griffin
8th September 2017, 03:59 PM
Some on-set photos (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/07/347973-347973) from a shipyard in California, in a town that the producers liked so much, that they re-wrote the ending of the movie to accommodate it (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/07/bumblebee-filming-continues-transform-northern-california-347945).

griffin
13th September 2017, 06:11 AM
Photo proof that Sector 7 will be an element of the Bumblebee movie, as seen on the outfit worn by one of the actors (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/12/sector-7-returns-transformers-universe-bumblebee-movie-348886).

griffin
17th September 2017, 07:15 AM
A news broadcast in America (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmSC3suuNzk) has talked about the filming of the Bumblebee movie now moving to Santa Cruz (the famous beach off LA)... talking to one of the extras that will be in the background of the movie somewhere.

griffin
21st September 2017, 06:18 AM
A new Movie vehicle has been revealed (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/20/decepticon-vehicle-revealed-transformers-universe-bumblebee-set-349354) - a modified red Plymouth GTX - with a Decepticon symbol on it... so could be Bumblebee's main rival in this movie.

(and as with any prequel that introduces new characters that haven't been seen in movies set after it, the odds of this character surviving this movie probably aren't good)

griffin
3rd October 2017, 08:14 PM
Peter Cullen has announced that he will be involved in the Bumblebee movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/02/peter-cullen-confirmed-bumblebee-movie-351131) in some way... probably as flashback to Bumblebee's departure from Cybertron, or maybe a transmission from the homeworld.

UltraMarginal
5th October 2017, 11:32 AM
Peter Cullen has announced that he will be involved in the Bumblebee movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/02/peter-cullen-confirmed-bumblebee-movie-351131) in some way... probably as flashback to Bumblebee's departure from Cybertron, or maybe a transmission from the homeworld.

my guess as well

griffin
8th October 2017, 12:07 PM
John Cena found on set (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/07/possible-confirmation-john-cena-sector-7-agent-bumblebee-movie-351708) with what could be a Sector 7 uniform.

griffin
15th October 2017, 11:14 PM
The Bumblebee movie is in its last two weeks of filming, and we have another photo of the VW car (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-universe-bumblebee-image-and-news-roundup/39819/).

griffin
22nd October 2017, 08:02 PM
With the final week of filming (giving them 14 months to do post production - not sure why the movie was pushed back in the first place), it looks like some blue-screen filming is now taking place (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/22/bumblebee-movie-news-roundup-four-352412), as well as word that there will only be four robots in this movie.
It has also been noted that Steve Jablonsky (who has done the music for the previous Transformers movies), is not likely to be available for this one... but I don't know if that is based on the original June release, or the delayed December release, and if he is busy for the entire year or just the first half.

UltraMarginal
8th November 2017, 08:50 AM
With the final week of filming (giving them 14 months to do post production - not sure why the movie was pushed back in the first place), it looks like some blue-screen filming is now taking place (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/10/22/bumblebee-movie-news-roundup-four-352412), as well as word that there will only be four robots in this movie.
It has also been noted that Steve Jablonsky (who has done the music for the previous Transformers movies), is not likely to be available for this one... but I don't know if that is based on the original June release, or the delayed December release, and if he is busy for the entire year or just the first half.

I think he's done a good job of the other films but I think this is a franchise where a fresh take on the sound wouldn't hurt from time to time either. Even The Star wars offshoot movies aren't using John Williams.

His best work was the first movie, I haven't felt the others had such clear cut or emotional themes as the first one did.

I always thought the Transformers movies could use something like the sound Don Davis created for the Matrix films. A bit more industrial than what Jablonsky has created.

griffin
12th November 2017, 05:00 PM
And that's a wrap... of principle filming.
There might be reshoots later, but it's now into the post-production phase, for a whole 13 months, now that the movie's release date was pushed back six months.
A teaser photo from the wrap party by Hailee shows us a new logo for the movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/11/11/bumblebee-robot-mode-head-title-card-revealed-bumblebee-movie-353401).

griffin
30th December 2017, 04:56 PM
The current issue of Empire Magazine is said to have a small article about the Bumblebee movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/12/29/bumblebee-movie-official-image-press-release-paramount-pictures-356050), with details of the main actors and crew, and the official release date in America being December 21st 2018... which could mean Boxing day in Australia, or December 20th.

On the run in the year 1987, Bumblebee finds refuge in a junkyard in a small Californian beach town. Charlie (Hailee Steinfeld), on the cusp of turning 18 and trying to find her place in the world, discovers Bumblebee, battle-scarred and broken. When Charlie revives him, she quickly learns this is no ordinary, yellow VW bug.

griffin
11th March 2018, 10:27 PM
It looks like the Bumblebee Movie will be a last hurrah for the VW Beetle, as Volkswagen has apparently announced that they won't be making any more Beetles soon (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/03/10/bumblebee-movie-will-significant-milestone-volkswagen-360748).

GoktimusPrime
13th March 2018, 02:23 PM
This gives me more hope that Travis Knight will be focusing more on the story quality for this movie and less emphasis on product placement. Here's hoping. As I said, I've been impressed with Knight's work so far.

griffin
13th March 2018, 08:09 PM
Our first decent plot synopsis for the Bumblebee movie has just been found, on a listing for the DVD/BR in Germany (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/03/12/bumblebee-movie-blu-ray-disc-release-date-april-2019-germany-360791)...

1987, California: In her sleepy home town of Brighton Falls, 17-year-old Charlie Watson (H.Steinfeld) from escaping the wasteland of their community. One day she discovers an old VW Beetle at the nearby junkyard and begins to get it started again in loving detail. But, as it quickly turns out, behind the battered vintage car, is an alien Autobot named Bumblebee, who many decades earlier was commissioned to protect humanity from an invasion of the evil Decepticons. But when a Sector 7 agent named Burns (J. Cena) starts asking questions in the little village that leaves little doubt as to his destination, Charlie realizes that she has to help Bumblebee escape as quickly as possible. But there is already a Plymouth GTX in their way, who has been pursuing the yellow Transformer for quite some time and leaves no stone unturned,

griffin
18th March 2018, 05:24 PM
No IMAX version for the Bumblebee Movie?

At least, not in the UK (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/03/17/transformers-bumblebee-movie-listed-uk-film-distributors-association-360950)... but they will be getting 2D and 3D versions.

Since this Transformers movie isn't being billed or budgeted as being a huge epic movie, it may not have been considered by the Movie Studio (or IMAX) to have the IMAX treatment. That will impact on the amount taken at the box office, as the tickets are a lot more expensive for IMAX.
On the plus side, it doesn't look like there will be too much competition during the Christmas holidays for Bumblebee, with the only other big action/adventure movie for the kids/teens in December being Aquaman.

griffin
24th March 2018, 01:20 PM
Still nine months away and no trailers yet, people involved in the film are starting to talk up the prospects of the movie with writer Steven DeKnight (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/03/19/steven-deknight-says-bumblebee-movie-fantastic-361010) and actor John Cena (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/03/23/john-cena-says-bumblebee-movie-will-reinvigorate-transformers-franchise-361248) both saying how good this movie should be. (I doubt either of them would have been shown a rough cut since they aren't producers, and the finished cut should be some months from being finished.)

griffin
15th April 2018, 04:35 PM
Actor Martin Short (mostly known for comedy roles), is said to be doing some voice work for the Bumblebee Movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/04/14/martin-short-working-voice-transformers-bumblebee-362330).

griffin
26th April 2018, 09:00 PM
The annual CinemaCon is on in Las Vegas at the moment, and the Bumblebee Movie will be getting its first unveiling to the attendees, with a promo poster and website (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/04/22/transformers-bumblebee-movie-teaser-trailer-poster-set-debut-cinemacon-2018-362825) (not yet active), and a bit of footage from the Movie at a presentation panel (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/04/25/bumblebee-movie-footage-shown-cinemacon-362978).

The website - www.BumbleBeeTheMovie.com (http://www.bumblebeethemovie.com/)

Some of the descriptions from the people who saw the footage shown at the panel...

An alarm goes off at 8:00 AM. Charlie shuts it off, unhappily waking up. Her room is covered in posters. She rocks out with headphones on while brushing her teeth. In the garage, her car is playing the same song. When she enters, it stops.
A piece of the car hits the floor. She look beneath it. Getting on a board with wheels, she slides under the car. Ultimately, she finds Bee’s face, which lights up in the eyes and stands up above her. She’s shocked. This thing fits in the garage! They have a standoff. Bee stumbles around. She reaches for the door handle but sees he is just stumbling around and scared as he huddles himself into the corner.
She approaches and says, “Hi.” Bee chirps back. He’s still scared and avoiding her in the corner. “Do you speak?: she asks. Bee nods to indicate he does not. He stands up, holding his neck, after seeing the wrench in her hand. He analyzes her hands and comes closer, allowing them to touch his face. He can understand her. “What are you?” she asks. “Where did you come from?” He shies away from answering. He points to her shirt. He is asking who she is. “I’m Charlie,” she tells him. “Charlie Watson, I’m 18 today. Actually, it’s my birthday today. What’s your name?” He shies away, with his ears going down. She rules, “You sound like a little bumblebee.” That’s what she’s going to call him from now on. “Matches your outfit, too,” she says.
Later, clips of Bee running from a helicopter, trucks exploding, Bee playing on the beach, driving Charlie around, and other Transformers cut into the frame. A red and white winged Transformer is fighting him. He uses his arm cannon. He fights fighter jets. Charlie does her best to help him. He lands in a desert.

Let me repeat. I’m 90% sure the villain in Bumblebee is Starscream with all the red and blue markings from his original ‘80s design.

griffin
4th May 2018, 07:19 PM
An excerpt from an article at Collider (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/05/02/transformers-bumblebee-movie-director-travis-knight-breaks-silence-363248), from the director of the new Bumblebee movie, talking about some of the themes and settings...

“So, what I was kind of trying to do with this film because it’s set in the 80s, was harken back to the great, original, G1 vibe and feeling and tone. So, there are definitely Easter eggs for fans who are down with that sort of thing. There’s a lot of continuity between this and the film’s that Michael has done. But the film does stand on its own.”

griffin
10th May 2018, 04:19 PM
It's official, Steve Jablonsky (the composer for the first five Transformers movies) won't be doing the Bumblebee Movie.
The new composer will be Dario Marianelli (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/05/09/dario-marianelli-set-to-compose-the-score-of-transformers-bumblebee-movie-363571), and some audio samples of his past works can be heard at that link.

BigTransformerTrev
22nd May 2018, 02:19 PM
Apparently Sophie Monk may play Octopunch (http://www.bigangrytrev.com/?p=2150&preview=true)in the new flick :p

Fake news just for a laugh ;)

UltraMarginal
22nd May 2018, 02:42 PM
It's official, Steve Jablonsky (the composer for the first five Transformers movies) won't be doing the Bumblebee Movie.
The new composer will be Dario Marianelli (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/05/09/dario-marianelli-set-to-compose-the-score-of-transformers-bumblebee-movie-363571), and some audio samples of his past works can be heard at that link.

I watched Kubo and the two strings last night to get a feel for the directors work. I liked it, a very good well thought out film. A little predictable but that's not necessarily a problem overall. I thought the score was excellent so I look forward to the score on this new film.

griffin
5th June 2018, 05:53 PM
Some reshoots have taken place for the Bumblebee movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/06/02/transformers-bumblebee-movie-undergoing-reshoots-364710), which isn't unusual, and it was probably fortunate for the production team that the movie release was pushed back 6 months to allow them to fine-tune the completed film during this long post-production period. (Michael Bay was notorious for completing his Transformers movies just days before its release, often running out of time to do reshoots or special effects editing)

And the voice actor for Barricade (Jess Harnell), has confirmed his involvement in the Bumblebee movie as Barricade (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/05/31/jess-harnell-reprises-his-role-as-barricade-for-transformers-bumblebee-364640), which backs up leaked toy listings that included Barricade toys for this movie.

Bumbleb33
5th June 2018, 05:53 PM
Trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAIX12F6958

I'm excited :)

griffin
14th June 2018, 07:45 PM
A small featurette on the director Travis Knight on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJgnZ2e_qGY), talking about his work on the Bumblebee Movie, and some behind the scenes shots.

And a cardboard standee of the new Bumblebee has been found at the CineEurope event (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/06/12/transformers-bumblebee-movie-promotional-content-at-cineeurope-2018-365529) in Spain this week.

Ralph Wiggum
14th June 2018, 08:05 PM
A small featurette on the director Travis Knight on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJgnZ2e_qGY), talking about his work on the Bumblebee Movie, and some behind the scenes shots.

And a cardboard standee of the new Bumblebee has been found at the CineEurope event (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/06/12/transformers-bumblebee-movie-promotional-content-at-cineeurope-2018-365529) in Spain this week.

I know its just a snippet but I’m liking the fact that the Director wants to bring the focus back to a “boy/girl and their car”, which is what I enjoyed about the first Bayformers. Already the movie seems less bloated than the subsequent Bayformers.

Also cool to hear Cena grew up as a fan of Transformers.

Silverbolt
29th June 2018, 09:44 AM

I took a look at this this morning. Sharp, edgy, loud and flashy isn't always better. It looks like travis knight is also aware of that.
I like that the preview show the movie to be more character driven. The character designs don't scream "look I'm a visual effect." Rather they compliment the character.

griffin
29th June 2018, 03:58 PM
Brazil had a special promo event for the Bumblebee movie last week (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/06/28/images-from-transformers-bumblebee-movie-event-in-brazil-366243), hosted by Hasbro and Paramount, showing attendees movie footage, movie toys and giving away freebies.

No photos of the Movie toys, or what the attendees got as gifts... but maybe some pics of the new toys will surface eventually.

griffin
3rd July 2018, 08:32 PM
The next major promotional event for the Bumblebee Movie will be SDCC at the end of this month (July 19th to 22nd), with Paramount hosting a presentation panel (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/07/02/bumblebee-flying-to-comic-con-transformers-debut-in-hall-h-366521), and I would expect that Hasbro will be officially revealing the Movie toys as well.
The Paramount movie panel is expected to include the Director Travis Knight, along with three of the cast - Hailee Steinfeld, John Cena, and Jorge Lendeborg Jr.
The panel will be on Friday July 20th, from 5 to 6pm... and should feature new footage (as upcoming movies do at SDCC).

griffin
7th August 2018, 07:54 PM
A promotional poster (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/08/06/new-transformers-bumblebee-movie-poster-369617) from the Philippines, and a still from the Empire Magazine website (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/08/06/bumblebee-the-movie-new-screencap-from-the-film-369629).

griffin
12th August 2018, 07:08 PM
Another movie still from Empire Magazine (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/08/10/bumblebee-the-movie-new-screencap-from-the-film-2-369910).

griffin
29th August 2018, 08:10 PM
David Sobolov, the voice of Beast Wars Depth Charge and TFPrime Shockwave, has announced his inclusion in the Bumblebee Movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/08/27/david-sobolov-lends-his-voice-talent-to-transformers-bumblebee-movie-370701), doing an undisclosed character voice, which said should be announced soon.

GoktimusPrime
29th August 2018, 10:02 PM
I believe that would make him the first BW voice actor to cross over to the live action movie franchise.

Autocon
30th August 2018, 02:35 AM
David Sobolov, the voice of Beast Wars Depth Charge and TFPrime Shockwave, has announced his inclusion in the Bumblebee Movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/08/27/david-sobolov-lends-his-voice-talent-to-transformers-bumblebee-movie-370701), doing an undisclosed character voice, which said should be announced soon.

Its the blue one :p

griffin
30th August 2018, 06:21 PM
US theatres are starting to receive their promo materials (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/08/29/transformers-bumblebee-movie-promo-standees-and-cutouts-arriving-to-theaters-370760) for the Bumblebee Movie, so we might see it in theatres here soon too.
No images yet of the contents of the promo box, but should be in the next couple days.

griffin
2nd September 2018, 08:27 PM
Promo images of what the US theatre display will look like (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/09/01/official-image-of-transformers-bumblebee-movie-promo-theater-standee-370962) - which could be here as well.

griffin
2nd September 2018, 08:50 PM

He's now announced (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/08/31/david-sobolov-to-voice-blitzwing-in-bumblebee-movie-370871) his character in the movie as Blitzwing.

griffin
5th November 2018, 09:11 PM
Hailee Steinfeld (Charlie in the Bumblebee Movie) has released a song (called Back To Life) that will be in the Movie Soundtrack (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNWB9dq-0mo)... and maybe in the Movie too.

griffin
11th November 2018, 10:11 PM
Also, some scans from a magazine article of the Bumblebee Movie (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/11/08/sfx-magazine-scans-for-transformers-bumblebee-376077), with some images and lots of details about the movie and the director.

griffin
15th November 2018, 04:35 PM
A six second transformation clip of VW Bumblebee has been found online, and I'm not sure where it is originally from, or if it was meant to be made public... but there are some links here to the clip while it is still up (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/11/14/bumblebee-movie-transformation-clip-376501).

griffin
4th December 2018, 06:15 PM
The voice actor for Bumblebee has been announced (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xatI7xubt8E) - Dylan O'brien. (even though he doesn't have a voice on Earth, it was always possible that the pre-earth cybertron scenes would have him talking).

dsphatlite
10th December 2018, 10:51 AM
Early reviews are in and they look great.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bumblebee/

Makes me want to pay full price to go watch it this week at the preview screenings.

BigTransformerTrev
10th December 2018, 11:30 AM
Early reviews are in and they look great.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/bumblebee/

Makes me want to pay full price to go watch it this week at the preview screenings.

Just read the critic reviews on there - its all sounding good eh! :)

AJ_Prime
15th December 2018, 11:09 AM
I saw the advanced screening last night and I have to say that Travis Knight nailed this one. The first 15 minutes will blow you away and the rest of the film will have you deeply invested in the characters. This is easily and by far the best film in the franchise since 2007.

djanscak
16th December 2018, 05:00 PM
I saw the advanced screening last night and I have to say that Travis Knight nailed this one. The first 15 minutes will blow you away and the rest of the film will have you deeply invested in the characters. This is easily and by far the best film in the franchise since 2007.

I saw it last night and wholeheartedly agree. The movie is on a smaller scale but it gives the characters far more time to develop. The action scenes were great because you never lost track of who was who. It was a bit more violent than I expected for a PG movie. I hope it does well enough for subsequent movies to be made with similar sensibilities.

griffin
16th December 2018, 05:58 PM
An interview on TV, posted to youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzEG3MFa0m8) with the director and actors John Cena, Hailee Steinfeld, along with voice actor Angela Bassett (voice of Shatter).

griffin
9th January 2019, 07:34 PM
An interview with ILM's Visual Effects Supervisor Jason Smith and Animation Supervisor Rick O'Connor (https://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-film/behind-the-scenes-tricks-and-techniques-that-ilm-used-to-transform-characters-in-bumblebee-168309.html), into the work ILM has been doing for Transformers since 2007.

griffin
22nd January 2019, 05:31 PM
Still some time from the release of the Bumblebee movie in Japan, but a few Voice Actors for the Japanese dub have been revealed (http://news.tfw2005.com/2019/01/18/ryohei-kimura-to-reprise-the-role-of-bumblebee-for-japanese-dub-381053), with the voices for Optimus and Bumblebee having previous Transformers voice experience.
Ryohei Kimura will be voicing Bumblebee, while Tessho Genda will be voicing Optimus Prime.

griffin
22nd January 2019, 05:39 PM
After TF5 we saw a heap of concept art being released by the various artists a few months after the movie was out, and in less than a month from Bumblebee's release we already have a heap of concept art being revealed online.
Fortunately TFW have collated quite a bit of it for us :p which you can see here (http://news.tfw2005.com/2019/01/13/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-380781) and also here (http://news.tfw2005.com/2019/01/20/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-2-381122).

Decepticon Warriors By Joshua Viers – Several early ideas and designs for Decepticons enemies. Some of them very different from what we saw on the film.
Decepticon Heads By Joshua Viers – Some close-up images of some variations of heads for the Decepticons.
K2SO Decepticon Warrior By Joshua Viers – Another Decepticon, this time inspired by the K2SO droid from Star Wars.
Bumblebee Battle Masks Concepts By Joshua Viers – Some incredible and cool ideas for Bumblebee’s battle masks.
Alternate Credit Sequence By Christopher Gabathuler – A very different and original concept for the credits of the film. Very different from what it was used in the final cut.
Blitzwing Concept art By Mark Yang – Early idea for the full body of one of the main villains in the movie.
Bumblebee Scenery & Backgrounds By Thomas Pringle – Interesting possibilities for scenes in the movie. We have a Bumblebee Garage scan, The Sector 7 meeting with the Decepticons, a Bumblebeee chase in Vietnam, and a great concept art showing a frozen Megatron (using what seems to be an old 2007Movie concept art).
Bumblebee Concept Art, Weapons & Props By Tim Flattery – A lot of ideas, parts, weapons, gadgets and event and alarm clock-bot!
Decepticon Warriors By Joshua Viers – Some more early ideas and designs for 4 Decepticon warrior variants. Fairly different from the ones we saw on screen.
Dropkick Concept Art By Shane Baxley – Full body art (front and back) of the design of Dropkick as a single changer based on the 1973 AMC Javelin.
Dropckick Alt Mode Concept Art By Shane Baxley – Dropkick AMC Javelin car mode color variations exploring paint, ride heights, lights, non functioning intakes, etc.
Bumblebee Battle Mode By Shane Baxley – Concept of Bumblebee in battle mode based on his first appearance on Earth after scanning a jeep.
Shatter And Dropkick Concept Art By Shane Baxley – A concept for the key scene on the movie where the two Decepticon villains track Bumblebee while creating the basis for Internet at Sector 7 base.
Optimus Prime Concept art By Mark Yang – Awesome art of Optimus Prime in his Earth mode.

griffin
29th January 2019, 09:08 PM
More concept art for the Bumblebee Movie (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/01/27/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-3-381852).

Blitzwing vs Bumblebee By Maciej Kuciara – Great art of on of the key scenes in the movie.
Dropkick Alternate Heads By Shane Baxley – Four different heads for the Decepticon Villain, named as “Ranger” on this stage of the production.
Charlie finds Bumblebee By Shane Baxley – A beautiful illustration of another great scene from the movie.
“JeepBee” By Shane Baxley – Amazing early idea of the first Bumblebee’s earth mode.
Radio Tower By Shane Baxley – Alternate, more complex idea of the Radio tower controlled by the Decepticons in the film.

griffin
7th February 2019, 11:27 PM
And more concept art from the Movie (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/03/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-4-382122)...

Blitzwing vs Bumblebee By Maciej Kuciara – Several pieces of art of this amazing battle from the movie.
Charlie finds Bumblebee By Maciej Kuciara – A beautiful illustration of the key scene when Charlie finds the old BW Beetle.
Humanoid robot By Maciel Kucira – Renders of a mysterious humanoid robot.
Robot Warrriors By Maciel Kucira – Two early ideas of two robots for the movie. Very different to the style we saw in the film
Decepticon Warriors By Shane Baxley – Three variations of the “Ranger 02” design. Some of them have extra arms coming out of the back of his legs.

griffin
11th February 2019, 09:44 PM
Another batch of concept art (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/10/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-5-382473)...

Wrangler Bumblebee By Matt Tkocz – Two early concept designs of Bumblebee’s first Earth mode, close to what we saw on the film.
Military Bumblebee By Matt Tkocz – Four early ideas of Jeep Bumblebee, showing elements of Bee’s design from previous movies.
Cut Scene Illustration By Matt Tkocz – Three beautiful illustration of this key scene, showing Dropkick in a design similar to his Studio Series toy (Helicopter mode).
Cut Scene Illustration By Matt Tkocz – A scene that didn’t get into the final edit of the movie. Several helicopters checking the havoc on the place where the Decepticons landed on Earth.
Decepticon Triple Changer By Shane Baxley – An original idea for a triple changer that didn’t make into the film with Mustang Boss 302 and A10 Warthog alt modes.
Dropkick And Shatter Desert Scene By Shane Baxley – An illustration of the scene where the Decepticons meet the military showing Dropkick and Shatter with their muscle car modes before they became triple-changers.
Decepticon Warrior By Shane Baxley – Another concept for a Decepticon that wasn’t used. According to the artist, they made a lot of Decepticon robots.

griffin
20th February 2019, 08:02 PM
A sixth batch of concept art for the Bumblebee movie (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/02/17/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-5-2-383515)...

Wrangler Bumblebee By Matt Tkocz – A full-body early concept design of Bumblebee’s first Earth mode, ready to shoot some Decepticons.
Bumblebee Hands By Shane Baxley – A pair of early ideas for the hand of our yellow Autobot. Highly detailed illustrations.
Optimus Prime By Shane Baxley – Interesting option for Optimus Prime design. This concept art was one of the first ones proposed, but the one designed by Mark Yang was used in the movie.
Bee Stinger By Shane Baxley – Tow options for the Bee’s stinger blade. One in rusty finishing and another one with a shiny effect.
Blitzwing Spike Weapon & Dropkick Cannon By Shane Baxley – Excellent and detailed close-ups of the Decepticons’ weapons.
Control Room By Shane Baxley – An illustration of another scene from the movie. We can see an early design of Shatter, close to her Studio Series toy.

griffin
27th March 2019, 09:28 PM
A video on youtube that shows (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRM--iEWGGo) how some of the sound effects for the Bumblebee Movie were made.

griffin
14th April 2019, 03:29 PM
Concept art of some of the kitchen-bots (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/04/07/transformers-bumblebee-appliance-bots-concept-art-by-shane-baxley-386759)that were in a deleted scene.

GoktimusPrime
17th April 2019, 10:14 AM
I'm so glad that that scene was never made. |

Energon =/= AllSpark energy. Cos otherwise why would they even need the AllSpark Cube if every Cybertronian's basic fuel is capable of creating new Cybertronians? :confused:

The other scene where Memo and Charlie compare Bumblebee with the Gobots in a conversation, while hilarious in a meta way is also silly from a canonical POV. So I'm also glad that they deleted it. The quick and subtle moment where we see Memo reading a Gobots book before discarding does the same trick without stalling the story.

griffin
19th April 2019, 02:51 PM
More concept art from the Bumblebee movie (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/04/14/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-7-386980), with some close up details of some characters, Cybertron, the communications tower, and a Decepticon who didn't end up in the Movie.

griffin
22nd April 2019, 10:27 AM
Another roundup of concept art (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/04/21/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-8-cybertronian-robots-time-387261), with a look at several of the Autobots and a couple of the Decepticons we only saw briefly on Cybertron in the Movie.

griffin
22nd April 2019, 10:43 AM
An interview with the diving jock (https://puregrainaudio.com/interviews/actor-ricardo-hoyos-discusses-his-role-as-tripp-in-the-hit-transformers-film-bumblebee-w-audio) in the Bumblebee movie mentions that he was in deleted scenes that showed his character turning his back on the mean girls who were drooling all over him. (a reversal of the 2007 movie that had Mikela turning her back on the himbos/jocks)
He also comments on how Travis Knight directed the movie. Some excerpts can be seen here (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/04/20/ricardo-hoyos-talks-about-filming-transformers-bumblebee-387240), if the original article disappears.

griffin
21st May 2019, 10:44 PM
Another batch of concept artwork rounded up at TFW (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/05/19/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-9-cybertronian-robots-time-388425) giving us a really good look at Brawn, Wheeljack, Ironhide, Arcee, Ratchet, Shockwave and Ravage.

griffin
21st May 2019, 11:01 PM
From the head of Viacom (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/05/18/transformers-bumblebee-boosts-viacom-q2-2019-earnings-388371) (the company that owns Paramount), the Bumblebee Movie made them money (and is still making them money from the home media release), but The Last Knight Movie is said to have lost them money.

This doesn't mean that TF5 made a complete loss as we've seen that it did earn about twice what it cost (650mil vs about 300mil (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers:_The_Last_Knight)), but Viacom might just be the last investor to get paid. (based on the earnings, if they lost 100mil from TF5, there must have been some dodgy accounting being done for tax write-off purposes)

“Even in 2019 [we] had strong performance from a series of titles. Bumblebee; which was the most recent Transformers movie is a great example of Jim [Gianopulos]’s ability to reset a franchise. The last “Transformers” film we probably lost over a $100 million. Bumblebee is a better movie: the story was better, the characters were better. It was done in a more fiscally responsible way and we’re making nice money on it.”

griffin
4th June 2019, 09:44 PM
More concept art gathered together on TFW (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/06/02/bumblebee-movie-concept-art-round-up-10-389204), of some of the kitchen-bots, storyboards and Bumblebee.

griffin
26th June 2019, 08:22 PM
The Bumblebee Movie has been nominated for three Teen Choice Awards (https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/06/20/three-teen-choice-awards-nominations-for-the-bumblebee-movie-390031) (in August), for the categories of Movie, Actress (Hailee Steinfeld) and Actor (John Cena).

griffin
16th September 2019, 06:30 PM
Another awards event was on the other day in America - the Saturn Awards, which are for Sci-fi & Fantasy films.
The Bumblebee Movie was nominated for two categories, but didn't win either of them (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_Saturn_Awards) - Best Science Fiction film, Best supporting Actress (Hailee Steinfeld).

M-bot
17th September 2019, 10:40 PM
Another awards event was on the other day in America - the Saturn Awards, which are for Sci-fi & Fantasy films.
The Bumblebee Movie was nominated for two categories, but didn't win either of them (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_Saturn_Awards) - Best Science Fiction film, Best supporting Actress (Hailee Steinfeld).

If Hailee Steinfeld was the supporting actress, I wonder who the lead actress was? :rolleyes: Sometimes those awards shows can be a bit bizarre with their categories, like when "The Martian" won best comedy/musical at the Golden Globes a few years back, despite being neither.

She was very good in the movie though, a terrific LEAD actress.

Ralph Wiggum
18th September 2019, 01:04 PM
If Hailee Steinfeld was the supporting actress, I wonder who the lead actress was? :rolleyes: Sometimes those awards shows can be a bit bizarre with their categories, like when "The Martian" won best comedy/musical at the Golden Globes a few years back, despite being neither.

She was very good in the movie though, a terrific LEAD actress.

Nominations isn't particularly an exact science, and I believe they are partly driven by the studios who try to nominate in categories they think they are most likely to win.

For example Hailee Steinfeld would've competed against the following actresses in the best leading actress category:
Jamie Lee Curtis - Halloween - Laurie Strode
Emily Blunt - Mary Poppins Returns - Mary Poppins
Toni Collette - Hereditary - Annie Graham
Nicole Kidman - Destroyer - Erin Bell
Brie Larson - Captain Marvel- Carol Danvers / Vers / Captain Marvel
Lupita Nyong'o - Us - Adelaide Wilson / Red
Octavia Spencer - Ma - Sue Ann "Ma" Ellington

Her competition in the supporting actress category I imagine was a lot less competitive:
Zendaya - Spider-Man: Far From Home - MJ
Cynthia Erivo - Bad Times at the El Royale - Darlene Sweet
Scarlett Johansson - Avengers: Endgame - Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow
Karen Gillan - Avengers: Endgame - Nebula
Amber Heard - Aquaman - Mera
Naomi Scott - Aladdin - Princess Jasmine

I certainly agree she was the lead actress in the film. In terms of ability to compete in an awards category? Not surprised at all the studio would be pushing for the supporting category.

Same with The Martian at the Golden Globes. It would've been competing against The Revenant (and hot Oscar contender) which won. Given The Martian won its category, I'd say it was a smart tactical move.

griffin
18th September 2019, 02:51 PM
I wonder who did the nominations... as it would be up to them to explain who they thought the leading actress actually was in the Transformers movie.
Since it is a Sci-Fi movie and awards, it probably doesn't have to be a human on screen, just a female playing the part or voice... but even if that were true, they must have thought that Bumblebee was female, because Shatter was the only other prominent female in the movie and she was not featured more than Charlie.

griffin
6th March 2020, 08:21 PM
Some concept art of a hammer for Bumblebee (https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/03/02/bumblebee-movie-unused-bumblebees-sledgehammer-concept-art-407420), which was requested based on Bumblebee in The Last Knight having a hammer.

ChlorHex
11th March 2020, 04:06 AM
Hmmm... the hammer just doesn't have any wow factor so it wouldn't have made a difference for me if they had it or not in the movie.