PDA

View Full Version : Where do you keep your Transformers?

GoktimusPrime
9th March 2017, 10:43 AM
Options explained - please read before voting on poll. You may vote for more than one option. :)

Display in dedicated Transformers room
You have a room that is solely used for displaying your Transformers collection and nothing else (see my collection link in my signature panel for an example)

Display dedicated collectables room
You have a room that is solely used for displaying your toys and other collectables, including but not limited to Transformers (e.g. share with Star Wars, MotU, Macross etc.) - but there is nothing else in the room but your collectables.

Display in home office
Your collectables are displayed in your home office or study. It has a desk, chair, computer etc.

Display in bedroom(s)
These rooms actually have beds in them.

Display at workplace
Your Transformers (and possibly other stuff) are on display at your work. Not sure how you can get any work done. :p

Display in garage or shed
You have shelves in a garage, shed, granny flat etc. For the purposes of this poll the garage/shed must also be used for other purposes (e.g. parking a car, storing tools etc.). If your garage/shed is exclusively used for displaying Transformers or collectables, then we'll count it as either a dedicated TF room (first poll option) or dedicated collectables room (second poll option).

In storage
Your Transformers collection is packed away in boxes, bags etc.

Other
Please specify

Jilm101
9th March 2017, 10:45 AM
Display in home "office" 1 wall display cases 1 wall pc and desk and suff

Megatron
9th March 2017, 11:06 AM
All in storage at the moment.

drifand
9th March 2017, 11:09 AM
Living room with two big shopfit cabinets.
I have a strict if you cannot fit into display, dont buy it policy. Helps to save money and buy things rationally. Saying that TFs have the biggest bots in my cabinet.

UltraMarginal
9th March 2017, 11:16 AM
Home office: In a cabinet and on a shelf
Workplace: I keep a rotation of a few bots on my desk at work. They often get neglected for weeks at a time though, due to doing work.
Storage: probably 80% - 90% of my collection doesn't fit on display
Other: A single Billy Cabinet in the lounge/dining area is my primary display space.

DELTAprime
9th March 2017, 11:39 AM
Chalk up another vote for living area.

Ralph Wiggum
9th March 2017, 11:39 AM
I have a detolf case in the living room filled with vintage G1 toys, which is always a talking point for people coming over.

I have another Fantastic Furniture display cabinet in my study comprised of Masterpiece figures.

Paulbot
9th March 2017, 11:54 AM
dedicated collectables room is the best of these options for me. Technically a second bedroom but no bed. Should be a home office but no desk or computer. Mostly just a place for me to store, and display some of, my Transformers and other toys.

Comics on display in bedroom and living room.

M-bot
9th March 2017, 01:13 PM
Displayed in my Man(child) Cave. Home office is the closest of the options as it has a desk and computer as well as a lot of customising supplies and storage, even though it is generally a toy room first.

I really need to put some new pics up in the appropriate thread, my last entry was a few years ago.

MayzaPrime
9th March 2017, 02:07 PM
I selected
Display in garage or shed and Other

The other being the lounge room, I have 5 IKEA Deltofs

VodooCaMo
9th March 2017, 03:38 PM
I selected toyroom/ collectables but the room is gaming with "collectables" or rather all the toys I fancy. voted then read the desc.

Thurmus
9th March 2017, 03:46 PM
Most in boxes in the garage until I can get somewhere to display them. Have 4 deluxes, 14 legends and an oversize KO on my desk at work.

VodooCaMo
9th March 2017, 04:19 PM
Most in boxes in the garage until I can get somewhere to display them. Have 4 deluxes, 14 legends and an oversize KO on my desk at work.

Do you not have the space to display them? How many do you already have displayed?

ZoonMaster5000
9th March 2017, 04:30 PM
Much to my wifes dismay my collection is in our bedroom it was more a choice of keeping the sun off it more than anything else. I have a fantastic furniture display cabinet because of it's high weight limit per shelf those ft dibots are quite hefty when all put together.

FatalityPitt
9th March 2017, 05:50 PM
Most of my Transformers/ActionFigures are in storage boxes under my bed. But most of the time, there's usually about half a dozen displayed near my home computer desk, which I often pick up to play with while waiting or watching movies.

prjkt
9th March 2017, 06:59 PM
Since the little one came along, I had to give up my "studio," so now I've got one tall retail display case my work was throwing out and one of the wider Fantastic Furniture cases between the TV and my computer setup. There is no free space on that wall from the kitchen to be back door.

On my desk are the more recent figures I haven't had a chance to find space for in my displays, have to retire some old figures or move to other shelves to fit in the TR guys

GoktimusPrime
9th March 2017, 08:23 PM
In hindsight I really should've put an option for lounge room (i.e. the room also has a sofa, TV etc.). I had my TFs displayed in a lounge room once. :) Would I be correct in assuming that the people voting "Other" are those who are displaying in lounge rooms? If not, please specify.

Jetfire in the sky
12th March 2017, 04:58 PM
Such a shame to see so many TF's in storage :(
Some say it's bad enough to be trapped in a plastic bubble or sealed in a box and on display, but being in storage is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy worse. :eek:

FatalityPitt
12th March 2017, 05:40 PM
Such a shame to see so many TF's in storage :(
Some say it's bad enough to be trapped in a plastic bubble or sealed in a box and on display, but being in storage is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy worse. :eek:

This might be a bit of a weak justification, but it's for their protection. Someday, I'd like to pass my collection on to my kids in the best possible condition. If they don't inherit my interest in transforming robots, then at least they can sell them.

GoktimusPrime
13th March 2017, 01:05 AM
Comparatively speaking, when you factor in the amount of time and money spent on toys, they're actually a really poor form of investment. If you want to invest in your children's interest then you'd be better off investing your money on other things like:
* Depositing all that money into a bank account and let it build interest
* Stock market shares
* Real estate

Also, selling toys sucks! (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=19177) Massive waste of time! :rolleyes: More conventional forms of investment not only tend to make a lot more earnings for you, but you can claim those earnings pretty much straight away. Want to access money from a bank account? Make a withdrawal! Stock market shares or real estate? Sell 'em!

Raider
13th March 2017, 02:27 AM
I said home office but it is really 1/3 home office, 1/3 garage and 1/3 storage. Hopefully all home office one day.

Zommael
13th March 2017, 08:34 AM
Garage, although since we don't drive our garage is used for my Gunpla desk, my wife's sewing, and storing my housemate's tools. But i think it still counts as a garage according to the definition laid out.

Jetfire in the sky
13th March 2017, 06:53 PM
This might be a bit of a weak justification, but it's for their protection. Someday, I'd like to pass my collection on to my kids in the best possible condition. If they don't inherit my interest in transforming robots, then at least they can sell them.

Fair enough I guess, I used to have some in storage and decided that if I can't display them then they go. For me I get enjoyment out of looking at them, the smell of the old boxes, the displays of different eras, all that stuff takes me back to being a kid in the glorious 80's.
Imho I don't think anything after the 2007 movie will appreciate with any significance (perhaps even earlier, Armada sells for less than original RRP these days) If there is appreciation it won't be like the sealed and graded G1 stuff has. There are a number of factors at work here and yes there is the odd gem that pops up, but as we have seen with MP-11SW, once reissued the price comes back to sane levels.
I may eat my words in 30 years time, and be annoyed that I opened all my Takara Tomy Masterpieces.................but then I wouldn't have had 30 years of enjoyment looking at them. :D

GoktimusPrime
13th March 2017, 07:55 PM
I said home office but it is really 1/3 home office, 1/3 garage and 1/3 storage.
Hence why you're able to vote for more than one option. ;)

You may vote for more than one option. :)
=================

I may eat my words in 30 years time, and be annoyed that I opened all my Takara Tomy Masterpieces.................but then I wouldn't have had 30 years of enjoyment looking at them. :D
↑THIS! (y) :D No amount of money can replace the decades of precious memories of playing with and loving our toys. Monetary value is only one narrow way of measuring a toy's worth. At the risk of sounding like a Mastercard ad, while a toy collection may be worth an amount of money, the years of memories that they hold is priceless.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/G1%20toyplay/th_g1_1986.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/G1%20toyplay/th_g1_1988.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/G1%20toyplay/th_g1_1989.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/G1%20toyplay/th_toyplay_unsw.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Sydney%20Movie%20Meet%20June%2030%202007/th_moviemeet08.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Transfan%20Meets/Sydney%20Meet%20November%202008/th_sydmeet_2008_11_16d_small.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Transfan%20Meets/Parramatta%20Meet%20February%202009/th_parrameet_feb09_4.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Transfan%20Meets/Parramatta%20Meet%20August%202011/th_parrameet201108_4.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Transfan%20Meets/Osaka%20Meet%20Jan%2015%202012/th_osakameet_tigerconvoy1.jpghttp://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Transfan%20Meets/Parramatta%20Meet%20Picnic%20November%2018%202012/th_parrameet20121120_zpsopaecego.jpg

Dimi194
13th March 2017, 09:00 PM
RID stuff is in the living room on a bookshelf, then in the spare bedroom (previously my study) there are 75% in glass display cabinets and then the remaining in my bedroom/study.
Love having them all out :)

FatalityPitt
13th March 2017, 09:42 PM
Fair enough I guess, I used to have some in storage and decided that if I can't display them then they go. For me I get enjoyment out of looking at them, the smell of the old boxes, the displays of different eras, all that stuff takes me back to being a kid in the glorious 80's.
Imho I don't think anything after the 2007 movie will appreciate with any significance (perhaps even earlier, Armada sells for less than original RRP these days) If there is appreciation it won't be like the sealed and graded G1 stuff has. There are a number of factors at work here and yes there is the odd gem that pops up, but as we have seen with MP-11SW, once reissued the price comes back to sane levels.

Yeah, I'm not one of those "investor" type collectors either, and I do free many of my toys from their plastic prisons to play with. But when I have kids who are old enough, it'd be nice to have the option of letting them experience these toys the same way I did. A chance for them to walk in my shoes. Not all Transformers are the same, and the ones that'll be produced 30 years from now will probably be very different from the ones we're currently getting. To me, it's not so much about the money but about sharing the experience (or at least keeping the option open for the kids to experience it if they wanted to).

FatalityPitt
13th March 2017, 09:57 PM
Comparatively speaking, when you factor in the amount of time and money spent on toys, they're actually a really poor form of investment. If you want to invest in your children's interest then you'd be better off investing your money on other things like:
* Depositing all that money into a bank account and let it build interest
* Stock market shares
* Real estate

Also, selling toys sucks! (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=19177) Massive waste of time! :rolleyes: More conventional forms of investment not only tend to make a lot more earnings for you, but you can claim those earnings pretty much straight away. Want to access money from a bank account? Make a withdrawal! Stock market shares or real estate? Sell 'em!

Yeah.. Read my more recent comment. I don't see my Transformers as an investment. Frankly I'm insulted that someone would think that of me. I just want keep the option of sharing my hobby with my kids open, and I don't want to give them things that are damaged. If it turns out they don't like Transformers, then they can do whatever they want with them after I'm dead, even sell them.

BigTransformerTrev
14th March 2017, 06:48 PM
Since we could never get a builder for the extension on our house, I've been reduced to sorting through my 20+ 140 liter crates and continuing to store them in my shed.

Since its been so hard to find specific toys Ive been resorting to dividing them into large ziplock bags based on the character rather than the toyline, its made things easier.

'07Camaro
17th March 2017, 10:57 PM
A majority of my AOE figures are in storage at the moment. The Transformers I cherish the most, 07 movie main cast figures and Takara exclusives such as Buster Prime and MP Wheeljack, are mainly displayed alongside some of my Master Grade Gundams and Macross kits. Occasionally, I might pull a few figures to be displayed on my work desk.