PDA

View Full Version : Bruticus back for 25th line, with all Gen1 names this time.

griffin
14th October 2008, 02:22 PM
It might be just a redeco of the Energon Bruticus Maximus set, but if they have their Gen1 names and colours, these might just be worth getting.
The instruction scan in the link below shows a monocolour picture with their names (pity Blast Off is a tank and Swindle is a helicopter - they should have been swapped) and the 25th logo.

http://www.tf08.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=73
or go here if you have access to tfw2005 attachments:
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/universe-classics-20-29/transformers-universe-25th-anniversary-bruticus-maximus-165993/

Pulse
14th October 2008, 02:33 PM
Well, they did this with Constructicon Maximus/Classics Devastator so this doesn't really suprise me at all... :rolleyes:

iceburn
14th October 2008, 02:38 PM
hope they do sell them locally this time round. Devastator was such a pain to obtain even till now

Paulbot
14th October 2008, 02:40 PM
pity Blast Off is a tank and Swindle is a helicopter - they should have been swapped
I saw this and thought it was odd, but I suppose a name with "Blast" in it is more fitting for a tank (that can blast you!) than a helicopter. Could an 25th Aerialbots set be far behind? Although they already used 'most' of the names for the Micromaster set.

jaydisc
14th October 2008, 02:48 PM
Suh-weet. There was a previous rumor that Superion Maximus would also be part of the 25th line as Superion. I had been considering nabbing their Energon versions, so this is another score for later-to-the-fold collectors.

i_amtrunks
14th October 2008, 02:57 PM
Bugger, the Bruticus combiner is the only full Energon combiner I own!

Still it is the best of the 3, so it makes sense to re-release it. If only Hasbro could have made at least 1 new limb or put in a Superion limb to make it a little more different this time around.

swoop
14th October 2008, 03:14 PM
Bruticus is my favourite combiner so I'm happy to see him get the 25th anniversary treatment. But I would of liked his G1 mold re-released in a combiner set like the collectors club has done for piranacon

kup
14th October 2008, 04:01 PM
I have to see the final execution before I make up my mind but I am glad they are doing it!

Paulbot
14th October 2008, 04:21 PM
Bruticus is my favourite combiner so I'm happy to see him get the 25th anniversary treatment. But I would of liked his G1 mold re-released in a combiner set like the collectors club has done for piranacon

Given how often Hasbro released "Ruination" I half expected this news to be about the G1 toy being re-released.

King Atlas
14th October 2008, 04:38 PM
How about some new accesories like better hands/fist that can hold a weapon (included) or a shield (or is that only used by Ruination?). Either way, Im a big fan of Bruticus and his components and don't have the mould. Sweet......

kup
14th October 2008, 04:41 PM
How about some new accesories like better hands/fist that can hold a weapon (included) or a shield (or is that only used by Ruination?). Either way, Im a big fan of Bruticus and his components and don't have the mould. Sweet......

It will most likely be a straight repaint so I am not expecting anything new aside from colors. However if painted properly with proper names it will be good enough for me.

Rampage
14th October 2008, 04:45 PM
Given how often Hasbro released "Ruination" I half expected this news to be about the G1 toy being re-released.

me too glad it isnt though considering i finished my G1 Bruticus less than a month ago:D

King Atlas
14th October 2008, 04:49 PM
Wouldn't be worth asking hasbro next month, would it? Or should the leaked "instructions" be enough reason not to?

Paulbot
14th October 2008, 04:50 PM
Do you reckon Swindle and Vortex are the proper names for those Decepticon "Sandstorm" and "Whirl" repaints seen back in August (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1949).

SilverDragon
14th October 2008, 05:32 PM
I hereby bet that Swindle will be the helicopter with the dollar sign on it.

heroic_decepticon
14th October 2008, 05:39 PM
hmmm... i think they're just milking the Bruticus name for all its worth (and more).

STL
14th October 2008, 06:00 PM
I'm content. I have both Energon and Superlink molds but I'd be happy to welcome a third. :)

jaydisc
14th October 2008, 06:59 PM
Do you reckon Swindle and Vortex are the proper names for those Decepticon "Sandstorm" and "Whirl" repaints seen back in August (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=1949).

Nice catch Paul. I'd say so.

EDIT: actually there's a TFW link in that topic where they theorize the same thing.

GoktimusPrime
14th October 2008, 07:29 PM
Meh... I already have the Superlink version which uses the original G1 names anyway. Pass for me.

dirge
14th October 2008, 08:15 PM
^^ what Gok said.

Still, it's a mould worth reissuing for those who missed it.

Gutsman Heavy
14th October 2008, 10:41 PM
I'll grab one, he'll look dandy next to classic Devastator

Thanatos
14th October 2008, 11:16 PM
I'll grab one, he'll look dandy next to classic Devastator

Quote for Truth.

I hope so. I missed out on the Energon/Superlink version.

griffin
15th October 2008, 02:06 AM

The colours would indeed match up nicely to them, but it's still a pity to have Swindle and Blastoff mixed up, just to have some greater varience in the colouring of the 2 mould pairs.

Soundwarp
15th October 2008, 07:57 AM
Must get.

Gutsman Heavy
15th October 2008, 11:37 AM
The colours would indeed match up nicely to them, but it's still a pity to have Swindle and Blastoff mixed up, just to have some greater varience in the colouring of the 2 mould pairs.

Swindle swindled Blastoff out of his alt mode!

Saintly
15th October 2008, 11:49 AM
must not care :/

Tallestblue
15th October 2008, 09:49 PM
Am I the only one who wanted to see one of the Energon Aerialbots reapainted as Blastoff?

STL
16th October 2008, 12:00 AM
Am I the only one who wanted to see one of the Energon Aerialbots reapainted as Blastoff?

You were but now you aren't. ;)

Bartrim
16th October 2008, 10:43 AM
Damn them. I am so broke I can't afford all these new toys.

MV75
18th October 2008, 08:17 PM
http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=51839&st=0&start=0

Some stuff.

SilverDragon
18th October 2008, 08:27 PM
Nice colours. Will they be selling Bruticus in a special pack or in his component parts?

Soundwarp
18th October 2008, 08:34 PM
Man why can't they do a combiner that has mostly the same colours ala Devestator :(

Pulse
18th October 2008, 09:17 PM
Those pictures aren't making me wanna own him... :rolleyes:

GoktimusPrime
19th October 2008, 08:48 AM
What?! So Swindle's a chopper?? And we know Vortex is the other one... which means that Blast Off has to be one of the TANKS?!? Man... the colours alone don't impress me, but screwing the names around like that unimpresses me on a whole new level. <swear.words> (O_0)

jaydisc
19th October 2008, 09:08 AM
That's right Gok! And if you get caught referring to them any other way, you'll be arrested and your collection will be seized. :rolleyes:

And the same goes for anyone else who might think they can just call TFs whatever they want.

- Tankor

Soundwarp
19th October 2008, 09:25 AM
That's right Gok! And if you get caught referring to them any other way, you'll be arrested and your collection will be seized. :rolleyes:

And the same goes for anyone else who might think they can just call TFs whatever they want.

- Tankor

Lol Octane...........

Oh crap here comes the cops :p

MV75
19th October 2008, 10:19 AM
What?! So Swindle's a chopper?? And we know Vortex is the other one... which means that Blast Off has to be one of the TANKS?!? Man... the colours alone don't impress me, but screwing the names around like that unimpresses me on a whole new level. <swear.words> (O_0)

I agree that swindle should have been the tank, and vice-versa, but really, doesn't matter, you can rename them individually yourself. :) OR, since the whole set has all of the names in it, you can assign them as you see fit. EDIT: At least they have the right character names within the set, barring the global one of course.

I'll call silverstreak dorifto.

GoktimusPrime
19th October 2008, 04:44 PM
you can rename them individually yourself
But people shouldn't need to. It's entirely moot for me since I already have the Super Link version of these toys which all bear the proper G1 names anyway, so I have no intention of ever getting this set. :p :p

King Atlas
19th October 2008, 04:59 PM
On a positive note, Vortex looks very g1. Me like ;)
Only Blast-off looks a little out of place (in-terms of colour).

GoktimusPrime
19th October 2008, 05:29 PM
On a positive note, Vortex looks very g1.
Vortex never had blue on him in G1. It's almost like he's a hybrid between G1 Vortex (grey) (http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/9/92/G1Vortex_toy.jpg) and G2 Vortex (blue (http://www.cliffbee.com/reviews/images/g2vortex.jpg) - though a lighter shade). :/

King Atlas
19th October 2008, 05:38 PM
Well his not a perfect tribute, but you get the idea :cool: (well, I do anyway :p)

GoktimusPrime
19th October 2008, 05:43 PM
You could optimistically argue that it's a G1 & G2 double homage! ;) Not sure how well that would work with the other Combaticons though, lest we'd see...
Onslaught: olive green & yellow!
Blast-Off: Brown & white!
Swindle: tan & bright red!
Brawl: jungle green & bright green!

kup
19th October 2008, 06:02 PM

The poorly assigned names and the colors attached are now making this a hard sale for me.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that Vortex and Blast off should be the choppers and Swindle and Brawl the tanks.

It was an excellent idea until they screwed it up for not paying attention.

This time its not an issue of renaming the toys yourself since they have misassigned color schemes too. What are we to do? Pretend that Swindle's mustard yellow is now purple?

GoktimusPrime
19th October 2008, 08:46 PM
...yeah... precisely how does a tank blast off? Gawd... TANKOR would've seriously been a better name for a tank than "Blast Off"!!! (oh the irony)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d1/GobotTankTV.jpg/240px-GobotTankTV.jpg "Whodja talkin' 'bout Tankorr?!"

jaydisc
20th October 2008, 12:20 PM
Pfft. To me, it's just another style of the re-imagining that is part of Classics/Universe. To me, the original ridiculousness is the fact that they included a space shuttle as a Combaticon. To me, that's more dumb than any swapping of names and colors. So it seems they've fixed that, but now they have to work in the name, "Blast Off" and seemingly decided "Blast" correlated better with a tank than a helicopter.

If anything here is really ill-imagined, it's the original G1 stupidity of a space shuttle. It's amazing what is accepted vs. criticized.

MV75
20th October 2008, 12:51 PM
But people shouldn't need to. It's entirely moot for me since I already have the Super Link version of these toys which all bear the proper G1 names anyway, so I have no intention of ever getting this set. :p :p

I suppose, but as I editted in, at least they use the proper names. They could have called one of the choppers Whirl and one of the tanks Tracks, and onslaught Barrage. :)

Pfft. To me, it's just another style of the re-imagining that is part of Classics/Universe. To me, the original ridiculousness is the fact that they included a space shuttle as a Combaticon. To me, that's more dumb than any swapping of names and colors. So it seems they've fixed that, but now they have to work in the name, "Blast Off" and seemingly decided "Blast" correlated better with a tank than a helicopter.

If anything here is really ill-imagined, it's the original G1 stupidity of a space shuttle. It's amazing what is accepted vs. criticized.

Yea, I thought that about the Blast off name too, as in the tanks guns blast. Yea, corney.

Good point about the space shuttle, but I dunno, it could have been that they are a force that controls land air and space. :) They're probably the most versatile team there is, aside from Computron I guess, what wasn't any earth vehicles at all anyway.

GoktimusPrime
20th October 2008, 01:11 PM
To me, the original ridiculousness is the fact that they included a space shuttle as a Combaticon. To me, that's more dumb than any swapping of names and colors.
That's all rather moot considering that we're comparing a tank with a military helicopter, not a space shuttle here. What would've been wrong with calling a chopper "Blast Off"? Sure, they don't really blast off, but as an aerial vehicle it makes more sense as a tribute to Blast Off's original G1 form, ridiculous as it may be.

So it seems they've fixed that, but now they have to work in the name, "Blast Off" and seemingly decided "Blast" correlated better with a tank than a helicopter.
The word "blast" may co-related better to a tank, but not "blast off."

dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blast%20off) defines "blast off" as:
a. (of a rocket) to leave a launch pad under its own power.
b. (of an astronaut) to travel aloft in a rocket.

Now a helicopter is obviously different from a rocket, but it can launch under its own power and it certainly does travel aloft. Tanks do not travel aloft under their own power.

I suppose, but as I editted in, at least they use the proper names. They could have called one of the choppers Whirl and one of the tanks Tracks, and onslaught Barrage.
That is true - but when you're going after making a tribute to G1 Combaticons you're increasing the standards for yourself. Takara realised this in 2004 which is why we had Swindle and Brawl as tanks and Vortex and Blast-Off as helicopters. Is there a problem for Hasbro to do this or are they just not paying attention?

Yea, I thought that about the Blast off name too, as in the tanks guns blast. Yea, corney.
No, you're thinking about "blast" not "blast off"

Blast (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blast)
(noun)
5. Machinery (a) air forced into a furnace by a blower to increase the rate of combustion.
12. any pernicious or destructive influence
(verb used with object)
16. to affect with any pernicious influence; ruin; destroy:

Good point about the space shuttle, but I dunno, it could have been that they are a force that controls land air and space. They're probably the most versatile team there is, aside from Computron I guess, what wasn't any earth vehicles at all anyway.
well, a shuttle is ridiculous in terms of being an alt mode for Combaticons in a team where all the other members are military vehicles except for one shuttle. Blast Off's G1 colours are also totally unrealistic for a space shuttle. Car Robot's Shuttlor (RiD Mo-Vor) looks a lot better with realistic shuttle colours. Still looks weird when either Blast-Off or Shuttlor attacks with guns blazing out of a space shuttle. :p

But these are just things that we accept in Transformers... like say Astrotrain's train mode being able to freely roll around whilst derailed. But it's all silly when you think about it. ;) Heck... even the merging of gestalts is pretty weird ('cept for Devastator in the G1 comics who would combine forming Devastator "lying down") - what happens to things like GRAVITY when they merge? Some Japanese manga artists have tried to draw "energy lines" I guess to represent some kind of electromagnetic energy used to assist in lifting and guiding Transformers as they merge. Then there's the issue of vulnerability in mid-merge and mid-transformation. The best time to attack a Transformer would have to be during transformation. How would you interpret that in a role playing or miniature war game? i.e.: what penalties to turns or movement would you impose? I would impose a 50% movement penalty per turn for a standard transformation and a 100% penalty for merging into a gestalt (so all characters wishing to merge would have to sacrifice their turn during the same phase). There would have to be a certain range limitation too (e.g.: 6 squares or 15 centimetres if playing on a D&D or Star Wars miniatures size map).

jaydisc
20th October 2008, 01:31 PM
But these are just things that we accept in Transformers...

Just not names. :D

Paulbot
20th October 2008, 02:00 PM
The word "blast" may co-related better to a tank, but not "blast off."

dictionary.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blast%20off) defines "blast off" as:
a. (of a rocket) to leave a launch pad under its own power.
b. (of an astronaut) to travel aloft in a rocket.

The Blast in Blast Off is enough for most of us to accept that as a name for a tank. Blast Off's G1 weapon was a powerful X-ray laser that could hit a target 12,000 miles away. Sure sounds like something that belongs on a tank to me.

And besides, Blast Off is a Cybertronian. Your inferior earthling dictionary means nothing to one as aloof as him.

kup
20th October 2008, 02:01 PM
These things are supposed to be G1 tributes. Its not a new toy/character.

So G1 Blastoff being a space shuttle and not a combat vehicle is completly irrelevant. The point is that he was a flying vehicle not ground.

Making Blast Off a tank and Swindle a helicopter kills the tribute which IS the intention of this release.

MV75
20th October 2008, 02:42 PM
The Blast in Blast Off is enough for most of us to accept that as a name for a tank. Blast Off's G1 weapon was a powerful X-ray laser that could hit a target 12,000 miles away. Sure sounds like something that belongs on a tank to me.

And besides, Blast Off is a Cybertronian. Your inferior earthling dictionary means nothing to one as aloof as him.

Really? 12000 mile range sounds like more fitting to a space shuttle to me. :)

A tank being able to shoot half way around the world with no way of targetting (unless he hacked into earths sattelite systems), sounds pretty silly. :)

1orion2many
20th October 2008, 03:03 PM
:)Only because of our inferior technology:p:D.

Pulse
20th October 2008, 03:07 PM
Maybe were supposed to temporarily suspend reality when it comes to all things TFs? :D

STL
20th October 2008, 03:30 PM
I dunno, future warfare could always involve space shuttles so maybe Hasbro was just ahead of the rest of the pack. :)

GoktimusPrime
20th October 2008, 03:31 PM
Yes but there's a certain limit to what people can suspend in terms of disbelief and those limitations will vary according to individual.

I'd say that Beast Machines failed because too many TF consumers drew the line when they introduced technorganics; so that was arguably a bad move. Also Michael Bay intentionally avoided using any mass-shifting in the live action movie as most people (in a general movie-going audience) would draw the line at that, and I think he made the right choice in doing so.

Anyway we all have different opinions which dictate where we draw our individual lines, and while we may not always agree with each other's opinions we are all equally entitled to them :)

jaydisc
20th October 2008, 03:48 PM
http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/blastoff.gif

Paulbot
20th October 2008, 03:50 PM
Really? 12000 mile range sounds like more fitting to a space shuttle to me. :)

A tank being able to shoot half way around the world with no way of targetting (unless he hacked into earths sattelite systems), sounds pretty silly. :)

Well, perhaps in his new tank mode it's a little reduced in range, but it's still a BFG that belongs more on a tank than a helicopter :)

Swindle needs a helicopter mode to take his customers "for a ride" ;)

dirge
20th October 2008, 07:52 PM
Lovin' that picture, jaydisc.

Oh, and you're 100% correct. Even as a kid I always thought that a combat space shuttle is ridiculous. Should have been a bomber (he was never going to be a fighter, not with the Aerialbots on the next peg).

I see kup's point about keeping him in the air as a G1 tribute, however. I guess it depends which was you look at things.

STL
29th October 2008, 11:49 AM
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/universe-bruticus-maximus-first-full-image/14318/

Pretty awful. The original Energon/Superlink versions are much prettier which makes me sad b/c I'll buy the mold anyway. :rolleyes: :( :o

(oh, and I love Seibertron's new line: "Seibertron.com does not condone or encourage the purchase of stolen or pre-release toys"! Yay for one of the major websites)

blackie
29th October 2008, 11:52 AM
jesus thats ugly, still i dont have this mould, so if its the right price....

Gutsman Heavy
29th October 2008, 11:59 AM
the only thing I don't like is Blast-offs colour (he's the tank BTW ;))

Pulse
29th October 2008, 01:00 PM
The main thing that caught my eye was how the bright red/orange energon pieces contrasted so heavily against the relatively flat colours of the figures...

jaydisc
29th October 2008, 01:10 PM
Interesting. I'd like to see Onslaught's alt mode.

ADDENDUM:

The main thing that caught my eye was how the bright red/orange energon pieces contrasted so heavily against the relatively flat colours of the figures...

Yeah, I just wish they'd make those black, gray or something more subtle.

MV75
29th October 2008, 01:23 PM
I just wish they gave it real hands/feet.

kup
29th October 2008, 01:51 PM
Yep this hits negatively at my TF morale as it would have been so simple to get it right if they had payed attention.

MV75
29th October 2008, 02:35 PM
Yea I mean, those parts you have to manually attach anyway don't you? So why not make it fists/footplates?

If we get this set, I'd definitly look forward to the people that did things like the cliffjumper kit to make a real hands/feet set for this guy. Oh yea, and some back guns.

kup
29th October 2008, 02:40 PM
Yea I mean, those parts you have to manually attach anyway don't you? So why not make it fists/footplates?

If we get this set, I'd definitly look forward to the people that did things like the cliffjumper kit to make a real hands/feet set for this guy. Oh yea, and some back guns.

My issue is not the feet and fist but the color assignations.

MV75
29th October 2008, 02:43 PM
At least the colours look good. ;) And it would be more character name assignments for you wouldn't it?

kup
29th October 2008, 03:13 PM
At least the colours look good. ;) And it would be more character name assignments for you wouldn't it?

I would have forgiven the name assignment if it wasn't for the colors. I cannot pretend that a Helicopter with Swindle's colors is Blastoff.

griffin
29th October 2008, 03:19 PM
I'm a bit iffy because it doesn't have that Gen1 feel (like the detailing or head even) that most of the homage Classics have to them. I'd actually have trouble putting this on the shelf with the other Gen1 homage Classics, because that Energon esthetic is just too different.
Actually, I already have my Universe Classics 2.0/25th shelves split up between new moulds, and mere recolours, and already the two sections have completely different looks to them, despite both being Gen1 homages. It all comes down to the design era, and without a new Bruticus head at least, this one definitely goes with the mere recolours.

Metroplex
29th October 2008, 03:28 PM
this is definately ugly, the orange pieces are awful!

roller
29th October 2008, 04:24 PM
:rolleyes: i dont care. Its not the real G1 Bruticus