PDA

View Full Version : TF5 Motion Posters; First look at Cogman

'07Camaro
23rd March 2017, 05:03 PM
Entertainment Weekly had recently revealed 8 motion posters for TF5. One of which shows Cogman for the first time, who seems to be Anthony Hopkins' sidekick. Other motion posters showcase Optimus, Bumblebee, Hound, Hot Rod, Megatron, Barricade and Sqweeks.

You can view all of the motion posters on their website (source): http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/22/transformers-last-knight-motion-posters/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Shirokaze
23rd March 2017, 05:17 PM
Ugh, "Cogman"....really?:rolleyes: Hundreds of character names to pick from and they feel the need to make up a terrible one.

BigTransformerTrev
23rd March 2017, 07:11 PM
These look pretty cool. Still not a fan of the look of Hot Rod and Megatron though.

Ugh, "Cogman"....really?:rolleyes: Hundreds of character names to pick from and they feel the need to make up a terrible one.

I dunno - an elderly butler to an aged aristocratic Englishman - seems kinda appropriate. "Oh Cogman, get me a brandy, theres a good fellow" :D

'07Camaro
23rd March 2017, 08:17 PM
These look pretty cool. Still not a fan of the look of Hot Rod and Megatron though.

I get very confused with Hot Rod's design, mainly cause I can't really tell where his eyes are :D

I dunno - an elderly butler to an aged aristocratic Englishman - seems kinda appropriate. "Oh Cogman, get me a brandy, theres a good fellow" :D

Oh, so that's why they would go with that name...Interesting.

Also, is it just me? Or am I the only one who gets an Ultron vibe when I'm looking at Cogman, in terms of his design.

FatalityPitt
23rd March 2017, 08:35 PM
G1 Fortress Maximus came with a drone/companion named "Cog (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cog_(G1))".

Also, spoiler alert (which is why I'm writing it in a white font) - Cogman is a headmaster (apparently) (Reference:http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/12/06/transformers-last-knight-plot-roundup-329777)

My fanboy theory (again, a potential spoiler); Cogman (or perhaps Anthony Hopkins' character, who might secretly be a pretender) miiight form head of Fortress Maximus.

'07Camaro
23rd March 2017, 08:48 PM
G1 Fortress Maximus came with a drone/companion named "Cog (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Cog_(G1))".

Also, spoiler alert (which is why I'm writing it in a white font) - Cogman is a headmaster (apparently) (Reference:http://news.tfw2005.com/2016/12/06/transformers-last-knight-plot-roundup-329777)

My fanboy theory (again, a potential spoiler); Cogman (or perhaps Anthony Hopkins' character, who might secretly be a pretender) miiight form head of Fortress Maximus.

Interesting concept, yet to me, that doesn't seem too far-fetched. Ever since the writers room took place, it definatly left the door open for concepts of other continuities (Unicron Trilogy, Aligned, Beast Wars etc.) to be utilised to help expand the Transformers Cinematic Universe to the likes of Marvel. So I wouldn't mind seeing how that would play out.

GoktimusPrime
23rd March 2017, 09:48 PM
Sqweeks (with that deliberate misspelling) is terrible too. I can't tell if this is meant to be Transformers or the Challenge of the Gobots. I also can't see any alt mode kibble on Cogman... -_- At least they've gone back to a more traditional look for Bumblebee with noticeable alt mode kibble. Sqweeks goes to far the other way though, but I suppose he's kinda like a Junkion.

But not Cogman. What's next? Gasketdude and Grommetboy?

DarkHyren
24th March 2017, 03:54 AM
I also can't see any alt mode kibble on Cogman...According to this link (http://www.slashfilm.com/transformers-vr-project/) Bay says Cogman is a Headmaster, so that might explain the lack of alt mode kibble

Ugh, "Cogman"....really?:rolleyes: Hundreds of character names to pick from and they feel the need to make up a terrible one.Someone in the TFCCA facebook group said this and it sounds legit if you consider the medieval undertones we got when this movie was first announced

"Cogman" sounds like a name given to a "machine man" by a medieval human...

Shirokaze
24th March 2017, 03:28 PM
According to this link (http://www.slashfilm.com/transformers-vr-project/) Bay says Cogman is a Headmaster, so that might explain the lack of alt mode kibble
Someone in the TFCCA facebook group said this and it sounds legit if you consider the medieval undertones we got when this movie was first announced

I'll probably just get over it if it works in context. I just get bummed out sometimes when they claim the writers have studied X amount of Transformers lore, but then don't seem like they pay much respect to it.

FruitBuyer
24th March 2017, 08:02 PM
Woah, you're getting really bummed over one name. It's not like Transformers has been perfect up to now.

GoktimusPrime
24th March 2017, 09:42 PM
Woah, you're getting really bummed over one name. It's not like Transformers has been perfect up to now.
But it doth rubbeth salt into thine wounds. :p

Shirokaze
24th March 2017, 10:50 PM

But it doth rubbeth salt into thine wounds. :p

This :)

You were reading the wrong sentiment Fruit. I mean obviously we've seen some absolute foot-in-mouth, frustration provoking things over the years,but this time around, Paramount made such a big deal about their writers' round table and studying the lore and then suddenly.....Cogman...... It's sort of an eye-roll-here-we-go-again kind of moment.

griffin
25th March 2017, 12:20 AM
Lets see... Reedman, Wheelbot (Demolishor), Skipjack (red rampage), Que (a rip-off of the James Bond character), Brains, Igor (a rip-off of the old horror story character), The Doctor (very obvious), Driller (very obvious), Dino (named after a friend)... Cogman is not exactly out of place in a Bay Movie, particularly when it is a new character that isn't based on a pre-existing character provided by Hasbro.

GoktimusPrime
26th March 2017, 01:34 AM
Neither are objectifying shots of girls, sexual innuendo and toilet humour, but seeing them happening again doesn't make it any better.

"Man, BB-8 is kinda annoying."
"Jar Jar Binks was worse."
"Not helping!"
:p :p :p

BigTransformerTrev
26th March 2017, 10:02 AM
Neither are objectifying shots of girls, sexual innuendo and toilet humour, but seeing them happening again doesn't make it any better.

"Man, BB-8 is kinda annoying."
"Jar Jar Binks was worse."
"Not helping!"
:p :p :p

What the hell does that have to do with the news story of this thread? Which for anyone who has forgotten is:

Entertainment Weekly had recently revealed 8 motion posters for TF5. One of which shows Cogman for the first time, who seems to be Anthony Hopkins' sidekick. Other motion posters showcase Optimus, Bumblebee, Hound, Hot Rod, Megatron, Barricade and Sqweeks.

You can view all of the motion posters on their website (source): http://ew.com/movies/2017/03/22/transformers-last-knight-motion-posters/?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Exactly - it's one name. Who knows the history of it - it could be that he was discovered by humans in the 1800's and he couldn't speak English so the humans that found him gave him a name that seemed appropriate - Cogman - a man made of cogs and metal. But lets all have a whinge about it before we know the context eh. Personally I find Transformers misnamed or classic named used willy nilly to be far more annoying. And as Griffin pointed out, there have been other names used that have been just as bad or worse depending on your viewpoint.

Go for ya lives talking about if you don't like the name, I've no business trying to stop you (though I can make counterpoints) but can we please not turn every damn movie thread into a "Bay ruined my childhood and I'm going to bring up every issue I've had with the last four movies" rehash AGAIN. I think Griffin made a thread for people to specifically have their bitchfests in. Stuff like sexual content in the movies has nothing to do with this news story.

GoktimusPrime
26th March 2017, 02:08 PM
Replied here (http://otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=554128#post554128)

Shirokaze
27th March 2017, 07:11 PM
Far out I think everyone's reading way to much into this. All I did was express my opinion about the name, (which lets be honest, does sound a little ill-conceived before you start trying to make up reasons to justify it) I even went on to say it'd probably be fine in context. Why can't I be a little bummed that they don't appear to be taking the lore as seriously as they lead us to believe this time around? Isn't that something that everyone desires?
And then out of nowhere people are acting like I've flipped out about it and we jump to bitchfests and "Bay ruined my childhood"?

Paulbot
27th March 2017, 07:17 PM
Spoiler? New information anyway. Cogman is voiced by Mr Carson from Downton Abbey source (https://twitter.com/msipher/status/846146645003833346) which I think is pretty cool casting.

M-bot
27th March 2017, 08:08 PM
With Cogman apparently being a headmaster, I'm wondering if this means his head comes off and is a smaller bot, or does he transform into the head of a larger bot?

Re the name Cogman, TFs have a long history of creating new names for characters. And plenty of TF names are corny, too, so that's not new.

griffin
4th April 2017, 09:48 PM
Some leaked renders of the new character of Hotrod (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/04/03/new-leaked-renders-transformers-last-knight-hot-rod-336688).

(every time I see this character, especially the head, for some reason I think of Rattrap...)

BigTransformerTrev
8th April 2017, 04:45 PM
Far out I think everyone's reading way to much into this. All I did was express my opinion about the name, (which lets be honest, does sound a little ill-conceived before you start trying to make up reasons to justify it) I even went on to say it'd probably be fine in context. Why can't I be a little bummed that they don't appear to be taking the lore as seriously as they lead us to believe this time around? Isn't that something that everyone desires?
And then out of nowhere people are acting like I've flipped out about it and we jump to bitchfests and "Bay ruined my childhood"?

The few comments made were not specifically directed at you mate, and mine were more about how this was deteriorating into the usual complaints about previous flicks which you were not the only one doing ;) Sorry if you felt attacked though mate, I don't think that was anyones intention

Anyway, I officially give up on trying to keep movie news threads on track and being about the actual news story rather than deteriorating into 'everything I found wrong with the last 4 movies'. I put up a post in another thread about how the new Bbee movie is officially going to be a prequel and aimed at a younger audience. It got one relevant comment followed by four 'the other movies sucked' comments :rolleyes:

Apparently I'm in the minority that when I come to the Movie News section I want to read actual news - Movie News as it were rather than Movie Olds. I'm looking to hear about announcements pertinent to TF5 and others take on those announcements, not that they didn't like the sexism in ROTF or the swearing in AoE. But clearly I should cut my losses and just check out other TF sites when I want movie news and just let everyone else here have their fun. I don't get how it's fun to constantly rehash the same complaints again and again and again about years-old movies personally, but it's not my place to try and impose myself over others and as said, I seem to be vastly in the minority.

Have fun kids - Trev out!