PDA

View Full Version : Which character would you like to see in the Masterpiece Line?

FatalityPitt
9th April 2017, 01:24 PM
This has probably been asked before, but given that a lot of new Masterpiece stuff has been recently released/announced; I figured it’d be a good time to get a refreshed view of what’s now on peoples’ wish lists.

I confess I’m pretty selective when it comes to buying Masterpiece figures (I only have 6), so I’m not a hardcore fan. But if there is a character close to my heart being made into a Masterpiece, I’d buy it!

One thing I noticed lately about Masterpiece is that they tend to do a lot of re-decos (e.g. Seekers, different versions of Optimus Prime, Inferno/Grapple/Artfire, etc), and they’ve given the same characters more than one Masterpiece (e.g. Hot Rod, Megatron, Starscream, Optimus Prime). I understand why they do this (cost efficiency, popularity, etc), but it sometimes feels like there’s rarely anything brand new and all-different being done.

Yes, they’re branching off into Beast Wars, and it’s great! But there’s still a lot of juice left in the fruit that is G1. Still lots of classic characters left to make as Masterpieces.

So, which classic G1 character would you like to see get the Masterpiece treatment? - If it could be absolutely anyone.

Ode to a Grasshopper
9th April 2017, 02:04 PM
Quite a few of the above. There are still MP-shaped holes in my collection for Cyclonus, Scourge, Blaster (& his cassettes, plus the remaining cassettes for Soundwave) and the Insecticons.

If we're dreaming, though - combining MP Predacons.:D

CHILENO20
9th April 2017, 02:13 PM
Everyone has their own rules when collecting. Me personally, I only collect obscure characters off the MP line (Delta instead of Ultra, Road Rage instead of Tracks etc). I've voted for Jazz for 2 reason. First, one of the most popular characters ever (how could you not?). An secondly, you can get a redeco of Stepper which I would easily buy :D I am aware that it will be a long shot as Porsche don't allow this sort of thing. Here's hoping anyways :)

On the redeco's, still waiting on other versions of Grapple, Ironhide & Ratchet.

FatalityPitt
9th April 2017, 02:31 PM

It'd be massive, but cool. From memory, out of the original G1 combiners; Predaking was the biggest in size.

I've voted for Jazz for 2 reason. First, one of the most popular characters ever (how could you not?). An secondly, you can get a redeco of Stepper which I would easily buy :D I am aware that it will be a long shot as Porsche don't allow this sort of thing. Here's hoping anyways :)

Stepper (with Targetmaster partner) would be cool. I could be wrong, but so far, the only Targetmaster we've gotten in Masterpiece was Hasbro's Hot Rod with Firebolt. It'd be good to see more Targetmasters (and maybe Headmasters) in MP form.

I voted Galvatron. To me, Galvatron is the Megatron to Rodimus' Optimus Prime. Rodimus and Galvatron are supposed to be archenemies, and so far we've had 2 Rodimus but no Galvatron.

tinyJazz
9th April 2017, 03:00 PM
Jazz plshttp://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/tinyJazz/excitedplz.gif
I love the MP Autobot cars so far, MP Jazz would be awesome. And the more Autobots we get the more obvious it is that he's missing. :/

I think Galvatron is pretty likely, as you said, so he can be paired up with Rodimus. Also Blaster? Kinda surprised we haven't seen him yet.

Everyone has their own rules when collecting. Me personally, I only collect obscure characters off the MP line (Delta instead of Ultra, Road Rage instead of Tracks etc). I've voted for Jazz for 2 reason. First, one of the most popular characters ever (how could you not?). An secondly, you can get a redeco of Stepper which I would easily buy :D I am aware that it will be a long shot as Porsche don't allow this sort of thing. Here's hoping anyways :)

I'm hopeful too, because we got MP Bumblebee, and VW own Porsche as far as I can tell. Plus, Takara has VW and Porsche licenses for their Tomica line and that's the department Hasui went through to get the license to make Bumblebee (and Wheeljack? Apparently the Lancia license was tough to get too).
This info was all in translated interviews posted on tfw.

Ode to a Grasshopper
9th April 2017, 03:17 PM
I seem to recall reading something recently about an MP Galvatron being planned, then canned a while back. Apparently it's in the too-hard basket or something.
I can't remember where, but it was one of the threads on another board complaining about the latest MP Megatron not being a new character.

I hope that's not the case of course.

GoktimusPrime
9th April 2017, 03:48 PM
You know that it is possible to set polls to allow people to vote for more than one option. Out of these choices I voted Jazz. BTW I trust that everyone voted on TakaraTOMY's online poll before they geoblocked it. Cos on there you could select multiple options are even nominate characters if it wasn't listed.

It's a freakin' great poll and I really wish that they hadn't chosen to geoblock it. :( And I really hope that members currently in Japan are continuing to use that poll. Still, we had about a good 10 years or so of submitting feedback to Takara(TOMY) before they closed the poll off to non-Japanese residents.

Omega Metro
9th April 2017, 04:00 PM
I'd like to see a MP 2 pack of the smaller bots. Like a Brawn/Cosmos or Swerve/Wheelie etc.

BigTransformerTrev
9th April 2017, 04:37 PM

Jazz plshttp://i709.photobucket.com/albums/ww93/tinyJazz/excitedplz.gif

Yes and yes! :D

I did vote for Hound though as I thought he would look cool :)

As it is I've never understood why they haven't done Overkill and Slugfest - both showed up in the G1 cartoon (albeit very briefly) and would go great with MP Soundwave. I can't imagine many MP collectors that have Soundwave not picking those 2 up.

I used to wish for Inferno and Dirge so the MP line is being kind to me at the moment :D

If they made everyone that was an option in this poll, I would be one very happy (and broke) camper :p

FatalityPitt
9th April 2017, 04:53 PM
You know that it is possible to set polls to allow people to vote for more than one option.

Ah snap, I didn't realise that.. Well, too late now, the toothpaste is now out of the tube.. Don't suppose there's a way to reconfigure an existing poll to accommodate multiple options?

I seem to recall reading something recently about an MP Galvatron being planned, then canned a while back. Apparently it's in the too-hard basket or something.
I can't remember where, but it was one of the threads on another board complaining about the latest MP Megatron not being a new character.

I hope that's not the case of course.

Yeah that's weird. You'd think Galvatron would be relatively easy because it's got an original sci-fi/fantasy alt-mode, and the robot mode allowed kibble to show (tank threads on arms, etc). The only conceivable challenge is making sure the robot's proportions are correct. I guess Galvatron either isn't popular enough, doesn't have enough redeco options, or they're saving him for a later day..

'07Camaro
9th April 2017, 04:55 PM
Aside from Jazz, perhaps maybe Prime 3.0? The MP-10 mould is nearly at the point where it's dated, so I wouldn't mind having a mould which combines aspects of both MP-01 and MP-10m creating the PERFECT Convoy.

GoktimusPrime
9th April 2017, 06:07 PM
I honestly wouldn't pay for a new MP Convoy (I didn't even pay for MP10, I managed to score that as a freebie ;)).
IMHO MP10 isn't a substantial improvement over MP1 as an action figure. MP10 is the better play set as it includes the trailer and Roller, and there are elements of MP10's robot which have improved over MP1 (e.g. balance, gun grip, better looking vehicle mode etc.), but overall I would still rate MP1 as the superior figure over MP10. Most of the changes made to MP10 have been aesthetic, leaning more towards show-likeness, but this doesn't make the toy inherently better or worse than MP1.

I'm personally just very reluctant in buying repeat MP characters. I also skipped MP28 (although I have seen & handled it IRL (http://otca.com.au/boards/showpost.php?p=530802&postcount=4)). MP36 is one exception as it looks to be a significant enough improvement over MP5 to warrant repeating the character in my MP collection. But yeah, unless a new MP Convoy is going to be that level of improvement then I'm not personally interested. Don't need a third MP Convoy in my collection. And given that both MP1 and MP10 are both excellent figures - unlike MP5 they were made in haste - I remain skeptical as to how much better a new MP Convoy could really be.

Ultra Mackness
9th April 2017, 06:25 PM
I'd love to see an MP Blaster which comes with a handful of cassettes like the Hasbro Soundwave did.

davieanix
9th April 2017, 06:35 PM
Definitely a Decepticon guy, but I can't really see triple changers or combiner being done soon or I'm the next few years. So with that said, I would choose the Insecticons before moving on to Galvatron, etc.

Jetfire in the sky
9th April 2017, 07:13 PM
Arcee all the way, not only for the fact of a no G1 release despite the Movie imapact, but for the releases after it that essentially acknowledge the dropped ball that was a female release of a boy dominated toy era. Yes we had Care Bears and MLP, but seriously how kick ass was, and is, G1 Arcee?! The Ronda Rousey, Erin Phillips and Charlotte Caslick of the 80's. This needs to be done!

Yes we need Jazz, Trailbreaker etc, but they will always eventually get done, Arcee is a one off, a special production, let it be.

kurdt_the_goat
9th April 2017, 07:17 PM
I'm keen to finish up the G1 early years since we're so close, but i imagine everyone else is too. Galvatron would be my most wanted there. I'm glad they've taken a few zigs and a few zags along the way though, to keep things fresh.

It looks like we'll finally get real 2007 movie MPs - have been thinking for years what a waste of so many car licenses! If any designs could do with additional budget to do them justice, it's the bayverse bots. I hope they can do something like Blackout; the opening scene with him is so iconic, but his best figure is a measly cyberverse!

But i'd also like them to jump throughout TF history - the potential for improvement amonst the Unicron trilogy for instance is vast! I guess the risk is, once they start an era, like Beast Wars, everyone wants a complete set! I'm certainly hoping they bring out Beast Wars Megatron soon!

Handsprime
9th April 2017, 07:37 PM
Armada Hot Shot with a Mini-con Jolt

DO IT TAKARA

Kranix
10th April 2017, 07:40 PM
Jazz is my most wanted MP by far, if he and Hound are released I could probably hang it up but there are a few others I would pick up should they be released.

CBratron
10th April 2017, 08:47 PM
The rest of the Dinobots, but asking for four figures is a bit much so I say Sunstreaker. Sunstreaker has been begging to be made since Lambor.

Tetsuwan Convoy
10th April 2017, 09:50 PM
Armada Hot Shot with a Mini-con Jolt

DO IT TAKARA

After playing and loving that Armada game, I fully support this!
Also interesting to note that on the Survey they did a few years ago, Micron Convoy was an option.

G1 wise, I really want a Galvatron for some reason. A perfect, sexy Galvatron.

liegeprime
11th April 2017, 06:48 AM
Arcee. As much as I want to see Trailbreaker, Hound, Jazz, Sumstreaker, Mirage , Skids, Hoist and the first wave minibots get done, I think we need to have an MP Arcee.

Jellico
11th April 2017, 07:57 AM
While I would love to see more first year Autobots, I would have to say the 2nd year Cons first just to see their numbwrs and variation padded out. So that means Insecticons or the triple changers.

After that I would like to see some girls. Especially Cons because they are so rare. I get tired of finding excuses for my daughter. Arcee and Blackarachnia are obvious but the existence of Road Rage suggests you could find some in funny corners. Eg Slipstream could get in as a Seeker or you could even make arguments about Windblade.

Ralph Wiggum
11th April 2017, 09:34 AM
Add me to the Galvatron list. My 1986 movie shelf is looking sad with Hot Rod, Rodius and Ultra Magnus. I'd be happy with Galvatron and a Cyclonus.

BigTransformerTrev
11th April 2017, 09:39 AM
After that I would like to see some girls. Especially Cons because they are so rare. I get tired of finding excuses for my daughter. Arcee and Blackarachnia are obvious but the existence of Road Rage suggests you could find some in funny corners. Eg Slipstream could get in as a Seeker or you could even make arguments about Windblade.

In regards to MP FemmeCons, I think I said in another thread that after Dirge comes out if they made an MP Slipstream I could consider the MP Seeker line complete - I'd buy her :)

If they did Arcee they could retool her as Nightbird - her legends toy was awesome!

Considering the path Tam/Tom is going down with comic and boxart and the recent legends toy of the character, I'm not sure we would want a Black Arachnia though - the toy might end up just being 'Spiderboobs' :p

GoktimusPrime
11th April 2017, 11:49 AM
Note to self and a reminder to anyone in Japan or if you ever go to Japan (or if you have a VPN that can bypass geoblocking) -- bring a copy of a recent MP's barcode and ID number (on that little slip of paper included in the box) so that I can access TakaraTOMY's online survey. Fan polls like these are fine, but it's highly unlikely that TakaraTOMY will ever see it, whereas TakaraTOMY's poll is something that they maintain and the feedback goes directly to them.

A reminder that the thread explaining how to fill out the survey can be found here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=201). If you see any questions which haven't been translated yet then feel free to post a screen shot in that thread and either I or another Japanese speaking member can post a translation. :)

Question 33 is most likely to have changed as many of the character options that you could vote on have already been fulfilled by TakaraTOMY (indicating that they do actually listen to fans :)). I haven't been able to access their online survey since they geoblocked it in late 2014, but the last time I saw it, Q33 looked like this:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Takara%20survey/survey_33b_zpsdbf034a1.jpg
And since then they've given us Ironhide, Ratchet, Megatron, Shockwave and even a Movie Bumblebee coming soon. As you can see you can vote on multiple options or even type in your own nominations if the character you want to see isn't listed. For those who cannot read/write Japanese, you can look up a character's Japanese name on TFwiki (scroll down to "Foreign names") and copy/paste the Japanese name into that box.
N.B. This question may no longer be No.33 but I'm sure that it would exist somewhere in the survey.

MayzaPrime
12th April 2017, 01:17 AM
I would love to see Galvatron... No other reason than I think it would be awesome to have an official version :D

FatalityPitt
12th April 2017, 09:48 PM
3 days in, and Jazz has a definite lead. Rightfully so too! He's arguably the 3rd most iconic Autobot car after Optimus Prime and Bumblebee. It feels so strange that out of all the characters they've done for Masterpiece, Jazz is still MIA.

I'm hopeful too, because we got MP Bumblebee, and VW own Porsche as far as I can tell. Plus, Takara has VW and Porsche licenses for their Tomica line and that's the department Hasui went through to get the license to make Bumblebee (and Wheeljack? Apparently the Lancia license was tough to get too).
This info was all in translated interviews posted on tfw.

At a glance of their Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche#Relationship_with_Volkswagen), Porsche has merged with VW. So if they can get a license to make Bumblebee, they could do it for Jazz too. Also, under the Tomica banner, Takara has produced Porsche toy cars (https://www.amazon.com/Tomica-Porsche-Carrera-Takara-Tomy/dp/B009QVQY54), and even did the car that G1 Jazz is based on (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/answer/item/10007053/).

I think TakaraTomy definitely has the means to do a Masterpiece Jazz, and whatever legal reason prevented them from doing it before, it's no longer there (or it's not as ironclad as it once was). I think it's not a matter of if they can do Jazz, but when.

I still think MP Galvatron is quite feasible, and should be relatively easy. They shouldn't need a special license since it's an original fantasy design. Also, I'm no expert on the design process, but looking at the Titans Return Galvatron; without the headmaster and triple-changer gimmicks, I don't think it'd be that hard for them to engineer a decent MP Galvatron.

kurdt_the_goat
12th April 2017, 11:18 PM
Question 33 is most likely to have changed ... This question may no longer be No.33 but I'm sure that it would exist somewhere in the survey.

Correct on both accounts. It's now Question 20 and is a free text field (so you just type what you want instead of selecting from their options).

Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/pqYrF7V.png

Also, completing the form requires a Japanese address... not sure if it was like this before, but geoblocking aside, that's gonna stop most people in their tracks unfortunately.

Though if anyone's game, i scrambled my way through it just doing Google Translate whilst using Chrome. Most of it made sense! :cool:

DELTAprime
12th April 2017, 11:51 PM
At a glance of their Wikipedia page (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche#Relationship_with_Volkswagen), Porsche has merged with VW. So if they can get a license to make Bumblebee, they could do it for Jazz too. Also, under the Tomica banner, Takara has produced Porsche toy cars (https://www.amazon.com/Tomica-Porsche-Carrera-Takara-Tomy/dp/B009QVQY54), and even did the car that G1 Jazz is based on (http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/answer/item/10007053/).

I think TakaraTomy definitely has the means to do a Masterpiece Jazz, and whatever legal reason prevented them from doing it before, it's no longer there (or it's not as ironclad as it once was). I think it's not a matter of if they can do Jazz, but when.

I went over this in the MP Dirge thread in the News section not long ago. It's not as simple as VW licensed a car for Bumblebee so they can licence a Porsche for Jazz. In most car companies including VW each brand licences itself individually. You don't go to VW to get a Porsche licence, you need to go to Porsche. Porsche is notoriously expensive as a licence, Tomica might be willing to pay it but doesn't mean the Transformers team are. Also car manufactures put very strict rules on how you can use their licence, they must consider a Hot Wheels style car fine but a transforming toy might not be OK. Licencing cars is a minefield.

Jellico
13th April 2017, 01:19 AM
Correct on both accounts. It's now Question 20 and is a free text field (so you just type what you want instead of selecting from their options).

Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/pqYrF7V.png

Also, completing the form requires a Japanese address... not sure if it was like this before, but geoblocking aside, that's gonna stop most people in their tracks unfortunately.

Though if anyone's game, i scrambled my way through it just doing Google Translate whilst using Chrome. Most of it made sense! :cool:

Is the geoblocking dumb enough for a VPN to trick it?
After that spend some time with a Tokyo phone book?

M-bot
13th April 2017, 01:19 PM
Hound, with Jazz a very close second, and Sunstreaker, Mirage and Trailbreaker to follow.

DaptoDog
13th April 2017, 02:29 PM
Jazz. Runners up Hound, Mirage and Sunstreaker in that order. Nothing beats the Diaclone cars.

Megatron
13th April 2017, 03:14 PM
Jazz. Blitzwing. Astrotrain. Insecticons. Have not cast my vote in poll however because I cannot choose between them. :p

As a side note Other would include Nightbird, and also each of the Constructicons, Combaticons... etc. etc. Vector Sigma and Key? Alpha Trion? :cool:

Starscream77
13th April 2017, 04:15 PM
Note to self and a reminder to anyone in Japan or if you ever go to Japan (or if you have a VPN that can bypass geoblocking) -- bring a copy of a recent MP's barcode and ID number (on that little slip of paper included in the box) so that I can access TakaraTOMY's online survey. Fan polls like these are fine, but it's highly unlikely that TakaraTOMY will ever see it, whereas TakaraTOMY's poll is something that they maintain and the feedback goes directly to them.

A reminder that the thread explaining how to fill out the survey can be found here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=201). If you see any questions which haven't been translated yet then feel free to post a screen shot in that thread and either I or another Japanese speaking member can post a translation. :)

Question 33 is most likely to have changed as many of the character options that you could vote on have already been fulfilled by TakaraTOMY (indicating that they do actually listen to fans :)). I haven't been able to access their online survey since they geoblocked it in late 2014, but the last time I saw it, Q33 looked like this:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Takara%20survey/survey_33b_zpsdbf034a1.jpg
And since then they've given us Ironhide, Ratchet, Megatron, Shockwave and even a Movie Bumblebee coming soon. As you can see you can vote on multiple options or even type in your own nominations if the character you want to see isn't listed. For those who cannot read/write Japanese, you can look up a character's Japanese name on TFwiki (scroll down to "Foreign names") and copy/paste the Japanese name into that box.
N.B. This question may no longer be No.33 but I'm sure that it would exist somewhere in the survey.

Useless information to all but the one or two of the guys here who live in Japan. Takara obviously do not want the opinions of anyone outside of Japan which in my opinion is ignorant and arrogant.

FatalityPitt
13th April 2017, 05:37 PM
Jazz. Blitzwing. Astrotrain. Insecticons. Have not cast my vote in poll however because I cannot choose between them. :p

Yeah, I mucked up when I set up this poll. I should've made it so that participants can vote for more than one option. I contemplated on whether to redo it properly, but then I'd have to create another poll and everyone's already given their inputs in this one.

I'm just going to leave it here as is (to avoid muddying the water), but if anyone wants to remake this poll with the feature of allowing multiple choices; please feel free. :)

Jetfire in the sky
13th April 2017, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure we would want a Black Arachnia though - the toy might end up just being 'Spiderboobs' :p

Umm Spiderboobs, yes please!!

High_Q
13th April 2017, 11:05 PM
I voted for Arcee, but only because Skids and Cliffjumper aren't on the list.

I'd prefer a toy accurate Honda City Skids, but expect and am OK with a generic minivan faithful to the animation model.

As for Cliffjumper, I hope Takara doesn't go the MP Bumblebee route, whose alt-mode looked neither like the toy nor the animation model. :mad:

Raider
13th April 2017, 11:10 PM
Sunstreaker all the way! Sideswipe needs his bro next to him :D

drifand
15th April 2017, 10:04 AM
Sunstreaker all the way! Sideswipe needs his bro next to him :D

Lost my interest for this guy. From the voting a bigger number is for Jazz, and frankly speaking he deserves to be made because he survives the movie where many died.

I suspect for hound they will break the scale just like ft Willis, not sure about mirage as mmc seems to be the only 3p that nailed the attempt.

Tt can easily get my interest going if they done insecticons or reflector. Not sure why these are missed as they can remould in diaclone colours.

drifand
15th April 2017, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I mucked up when I set up this poll. I should've made it so that participants can vote for more than one option. I contemplated on whether to redo it properly, but then I'd have to create another poll and everyone's already given their inputs in this one.

I'm just going to leave it here as is (to avoid muddying the water), but if anyone wants to remake this poll with the feature of allowing multiple choices; please feel free. :)

Nah don't worry about it, it gives great views on who we want next

Jetfire in the sky
15th April 2017, 05:43 PM
I suspect for hound they will break the scale just like ft Willis,.

Please explain?

Ralph Wiggum
15th April 2017, 07:44 PM
Please explain?

Hound's alt mode is based on the Jeep J59 which, if you did a quick google image, is quite a small car. If the MP is scaled to vehicle size, the bot mode will be small, practically Bumblebee size. If the MP is scaled to his size in bot mode (ie Prowl) then it will be an oversized Jeep. FT Willis chose the latter.

Civic Bossman
15th April 2017, 09:08 PM
G1 Runabout / Runamuck
G1 Topspin / Twin Twist
G1 Skids
Beast Wars Neo Longrack (love this guy!!)
RiD Rail Racer

Repaints:
Tracks into G2 Skram
Bumblebee into Goldbug / Bugbite / Glyph
Seekers into G2 variants / Sandstorm etc
Sideswipe into Breakdown (G1 + G2) / maybe RiD Prowl with some retooling?
Ironhide into Energon Towline with retooling
Inferno into Energon Inferno with retooling
Grapple into Energon Roadblock with retooling

And I'll stop now.

Raider
17th April 2017, 01:19 AM
Hound's alt mode is based on the Jeep J59 which, if you did a quick google image, is quite a small car. If the MP is scaled to vehicle size, the bot mode will be small, practically Bumblebee size. If the MP is scaled to his size in bot mode (ie Prowl) then it will be an oversized Jeep. FT Willis chose the latter.

And from all accounts I'd say that was the right call. I want to see all the original G1 season 1 bots done in MP but I must confess to also wanting more non-seeker Decepticons

Jetfire in the sky
18th April 2017, 06:28 PM

Ahh, fair enough. Just like the G1 version. I would have been pretty annoyed at that puny little robot if I got it when I was a kid.

Lord_Zed
18th April 2017, 07:26 PM
Personally I'd like to see more Best Wars MP's or perhaps some MP Triple changers. While I would like more Autobot cars, there are many out already as well as unofficial ones making them a lot less unique and interesting.

Seems like any old company can design a transforming car, I'd like to see Takara apply their ingenuity to a triple changer or a Spiderbot.

Ahh, fair enough. Just like the G1 version. I would have been pretty annoyed at that puny little robot if I got it when I was a kid.

Personally I always thought Hound should be a bit smaller than the other Autobot cars in bot mode. He was bested by Rumble in the cartoon after all.

Shirokaze
18th April 2017, 07:53 PM
For the purpose of this poll I've voted Jazz, but dammit I want a Beast Wars Megatron!! :D

Lord_Zed
19th April 2017, 06:45 PM
For the purpose of this poll I've voted Jazz, but dammit I want a Beast Wars Megatron!! :D

I second your desire for Beast Wars Megs, also Tarantulas and Blackarachnia for that matter.

BigTransformerTrev
9th January 2019, 06:08 PM
I’d really like to see Wreck-Gar. Specifically designed so others of that mould can ride him in bike mode without it looking awkward.

If it was good enough and they gave us a few different Junkions I’d buy several :)

As it is I've never understood why they haven't done Overkill and Slugfest - both showed up in the G1 cartoon (albeit very briefly) and would go great with MP Soundwave. I can't imagine many MP collectors that have Soundwave not picking those 2 up.

Sigh... 2 years later and still waiting :(

DaptoDog
10th January 2019, 11:42 AM
I’d really like to see Wreck-Gar. Specifically designed so others of that mould can ride him in bike mode without it looking awkward.

If it was good enough and they gave us a few different Junkions I’d buy several :)

Sigh... 2 years later and still waiting :(

Wreck-Gar is a nice dark horse pick. I'm always surprised how little love he gets, his G1 toy was and still is one of my favourite G1 figures.

You know what else I'd be down for? Skids - it was my first transformers toy, both modes are really nice and he has so many repaints (Crosscut etc).

GoktimusPrime
10th January 2019, 12:10 PM
I'd also like to remind folks of the importance of accessing TakaraTOMY's online survey (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=201), and especially answering the question where you can vote on or nominate which character you'd like to see done as an MP next. Yeah, it sucks that they geoblock users outside of Japan, but I've been told that it's still accessible if you have a VPN - so VPN users, please feel free to continue using this service! Last time I checked it was Question 33, but I haven't done a survey since 2017 (the last time I was in Japan and thus able to avoid the geoblocking).

If you see any new questions that I haven't translated feel free to post a screen shot on the Takara TOMY survey thread. :)

KELPIE
10th January 2019, 12:21 PM
The Characters I'd like to see made would likely never (ever, ever) get made.

Beachcomber
Cosmos
Warpath
Brainstorm
Darkwing
Dreadwind

I always thought Blaster would be a chance... yet nothing.

DaptoDog
10th January 2019, 01:41 PM
The Characters I'd like to see made would likely never (ever, ever) get made.

Beachcomber
Cosmos
Warpath
Brainstorm
Darkwing
Dreadwind

I always thought Blaster would be a chance... yet nothing.

Out of your list I'd say Blaster is a near certainty given the pretooling of Steeljaw (Nightstalker).

Then I could totally see the first four on your list being made eventually. I don't see why they wouldn't make minibots.

KELPIE
15th January 2019, 12:29 PM
Then I could totally see the first four on your list being made eventually. I don't see why they wouldn't make minibots.

First issue is they aren't '84 minibots. Next issue is they always look for repaints, not too many options with the '85 minibots :(

Also at this rate, if they were to make them, It wouldn't be until 2056 before we saw them.

With Blaster I thought that too, however you'd think they had plenty of opportunity to do so, yet still nothing.

MayzaPrime
15th January 2019, 01:59 PM
First issue is they aren't '84 minibots. Next issue is they always look for repaints, not too many options with the '85 minibots :(

Green Warpath
Grey/blue Powerglide
Blue Cosmos

The above figures were an ehobby release and could be utilised as repaints from the main MP line. We have already had Diaclone repaints so it wouldn't be much of a stretch for these. I would buy them :D

G2 Beachcomber would also be a possible repaint.

SharkyMcShark
15th January 2019, 03:45 PM
I would love to see Tarantulas done up for the Masterpiece line.

I also remain baffled as to how we've not had Galvatron or Cyclonus yet, given no licensing would be required.

MayzaPrime
15th January 2019, 03:51 PM
I would love to see Tarantulas done up for the Masterpiece line.

I also remain baffled as to how we've not had Galvatron or Cyclonus yet, given no licensing would be required.

Agreed, I would love to have a toon accurate Tarantualas.

That has surprised me as well, given that there is no licencing involved for either character I thought it would be quick win for Takara and introduce some more Decepticons as well

UltraMarginal
15th January 2019, 06:49 PM
I'd like to actually see Hound... in a sales listing...

GoktimusPrime
15th January 2019, 11:02 PM
Galvatron was an option at some stage, and of course, people have always been able to manually nominate characters.

I trust that you've all voted/nominated for the characters you want. That's the best way to communicate your preferences to TakaraTOMY.

Paulbot
15th January 2019, 11:51 PM
I trust that you've all voted/nominated for the characters you want. That's the best way to communicate your preferences to TakaraTOMY.

I trust that you’ve all moved to Japan so you can vote/nominate the characters you want on their geoblocked feedback survey.

Galvatran
16th January 2019, 12:00 AM
I trust that you’ve all moved to Japan so you can vote/nominate the characters you want on their geoblocked feedback survey.
Nah, straight through to the keeper. Same goes with Amazon JP but, you know, you need a Japan address for Straylians.

KELPIE
16th January 2019, 10:46 AM
G2 Beachcomber would also be a possible repaint.

Would buy!

Fair point on the others.

Still doubt they'll ever happen :p

MayzaPrime
16th January 2019, 11:04 AM
Would buy!

Fair point on the others.

Still doubt they'll ever happen :p

We can always hope/dream :D

UltraMarginal
16th January 2019, 12:00 PM

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

FatalityPitt
18th January 2019, 11:29 PM
I was thinking that for the Masterpiece line, Takara likes to milk its moulds by offering lots of repaints/retools. You know which G1 character has lots of repaints? BRUTICUS

There’s G1 and G2 Bruticus, Battle Gaia, Ruination/Baldigus, etc. There’s loads of repaint potential with Bruticus/Combaticons, and I’m sure there’s a crazy rich collector out there who’d be willing to collect all the repaints (or more than one at least). If not, I’m sure there’s at least a market for some of the individual Combaticons like Swindle, Brawl, etc..

There hasn’t yet been a combiner in the Masterpiece line yet, and even though it could be quite an expensive set (take your average price of a Masterpiece and multiply it by 5); I still think it could be done.

From a consumer standpoint, buying all the 5 Combaticons in one hit would be convenient because you’d then be able to form Bruticus right away, but it’ll be very expensive. Maybe the way to go would be to buy them individually (if the Combaticons are offered as individual releases than a set), then buy them in piecemeal whenever you can afford one. From a Marketing perspective, Takara could release the Combaticons seasonally, i.e. Vortex in Spring, Brawl in Summer, Onslaught in Autumn, etc. At the same time they’d avoid their risk of the collectors buying all the Combaticons at once, then losing interest in Masterpeice after that. I’m sure they’d love to keep the consumer waiting for the next release and staying invested in MPs over a longer period. It’d be a penile move of Takara’s part, but it’d be a smart move.

So yeah, I think Bruticus/Combaticons would be a pretty smart choice for a Masterpiece release(s).

On a different note, should we remake this poll in another thread? It’s almost 2 years old, and few of the choices (Sunstreaker and Hound) are pretty much redundant.

GoktimusPrime
20th January 2019, 12:43 AM
Another way to look at it is how many requested toys have been realised as actual MPs. On this poll, which I'm sure that TakaraTOMY never looks at, 2/14 or 14% have been made as toys. If we look at the list of available toys that were on the TakaraTOMY official survey just before the geoblocking, we can see the following options:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Takara%20survey/th_survey_33b_zpsdbf034a1.jpg (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=201&page=3)
...and the last option that lets you freely nominate whichever character you wanted to see, so we weren't just limited to what was only on the poll. But we've had 8/17 or 47% of those options become actual MP toys. Not too bad. :) And as you can see, TakaraTOMY's been giving us the option to vote for gestalts for a while -- and non-Japanese residents could have easily voted for them before the geoblocking (and even now it's still possible if you have a VPN - but the poll that I'm showing was available before the geoblocking, so anyone could have voted on that).

I personally would love to see TakaraTOMY prioritise on finishing the rest of G1 Year 1.
https://i.ibb.co/dg9JYKP/temp.jpg
The Decepticons have all been done years ago, and there only a handful of Autobots left. We know that they can't do the Porsches yet, and Hound is next, but we've got the likes of Trailbreaker, Huffer, Mirage, Brawn, Gears and Windcharger left to go. My dream is to be able to collect the rest of the original gang as MPs!

FatalityPitt
20th January 2019, 01:43 AM
On this poll, which I'm sure that TakaraTOMY never looks at

Takara was never the intended audience of this thread at the time it was made, nor was it intended to compete with their poll (which I never knew existed at the time). This was just a leisurely poll/thread to spark a leisurely discussion among us fans on what we think would be cool to see in the future. That's part of how Transformers fans bond with each other.

tinyJazz
20th January 2019, 02:50 AM
Lol What’s the point of having any poll on this site if TakaraTOMY will never see it?

You’re the OP, FP, go ahead and remake it.:)

Also Jazz got two more votes in the last day alone. Nice.

BigTransformerTrev
20th January 2019, 08:07 AM
Lol What’s the point of having any poll on this site if TakaraTOMY will never see it?

I think that had already been answered very well:

Takara was never the intended audience of this thread at the time it was made, nor was it intended to compete with their poll (which I never knew existed at the time). This was just a leisurely poll/thread to spark a leisurely discussion among us fans on what we think would be cool to see in the future. That's part of how Transformers fans bond with each other.

And considering the thread has been going for near 2 years I would argue it's been a success regarding it's goal :)

FatalityPitt
20th January 2019, 06:59 PM

You’re the OP, FP, go ahead and remake it.:)

Also Jazz got two more votes in the last day alone. Nice.

It is done (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=603343#post603343) :)

It's there if people want to partake in it, but if people who answered this thread 2 years ago (or fairly recently) find it repetitive, they can ignore it