PDA

View Full Version : MP Grimlock pics

FFN
15th October 2008, 11:03 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/193032-masterpiece-grimlock-first-pic.html

I'm disappointed that it appears Hasbro didn't have much to do with this toy as he is *very* cartoon-based judging by his serving tray and brain transfer thingy device accessories. I'd have preferred to see character injected into his design with the Marvel comics depiction of him in mind, but of course, the G1 cartoon was all Japan ever had for his characterisation.

I hope this toy isn't as fiddly and fragile as Starscream and Megatron were.

blackie
15th October 2008, 11:06 PM
if that grimlock for sure then i think ill get one, although he will be displayed in robot mode, because its so much cooler :P

Adzma
15th October 2008, 11:06 PM
My god that's awesome. Now I can't wait for this guy! Although should this be moved to the other thread or not? Just a thought.

FFN
15th October 2008, 11:09 PM
TF@TM has (some rather small) scans of the two full pages. (http://www.transformertoys.co.uk/content.php?/transformers-news/story/7828/First+image+of+Masterpiece+Grimlock+and+other+new+ releases.html)

Proves that Henkei C-17 is Armada Hot Shot (aka Micron Densetsu Hot Rod) rather than Smokescreen.

MV75
15th October 2008, 11:09 PM
Serious?

Looks like the original upscaled. I always wondered why would anyone want a mp grimlock, and now I'm really wondering why anyone would want a mp grimlock. What a wasted opportunity on doing something good, (devastator for one).

kup
15th October 2008, 11:12 PM
I am dissapointed that the went for the cartoon look of the alt mode and that they wasted their time with that stupid cartoon waiter kit.

I will still get it but this is indeed a missed opportunity for something better.

What bugs me more is that the 'tripod' T-Rex mode does not hold very well these days. It looks ridiculous and more comedic than menacing.

Bad move Takara.

MV75
15th October 2008, 11:17 PM
Don't forget the very simple looking shell transform. Not a mp.

The mp line should be canned right now. They havn't had a good one since mp02.

FFN
15th October 2008, 11:17 PM
Comic Relief Grimlock is likely the most familiar depiction of Grimlock to Japanese fans and to Takara :(

kup
15th October 2008, 11:20 PM
Comic Relief Grimlock is likely the most familiar depiction of Grimlock to Japanese fans and to Takara :(

He wasn't comic relief in Season 1-2. Why did they focus on his Season 3 depiction based on the accessories given???

FFN
15th October 2008, 11:22 PM
Cultural reasons? The waiter thing is 'cutesy'. As I recall, the comic relief-ness of the Dinobots were carried through to Headmasters, though Headmasters did dumb down many characters for no apparent reason.

Besides, I don't think there is much else you could give him in terms of accessories from Season 1 and 2.

kup
15th October 2008, 11:26 PM
Cultural reasons? The waiter thing is 'cutesy'. As I recall, the comic relief-ness of the Dinobots were carried through to Headmasters, though Headmasters did dumb down many characters for no apparent reason.

Besides, I don't think there is much else you could give him in terms of accessories from Season 1 and 2.

In this case 'less is more'.

I am more annoyed at the stupid Flintstones era T-Rex mode. Why couldn't they have updated the alt mode a bit??

At this point its nothing more than a giant G1 Grimlock. This is lazy.

heroic_decepticon
15th October 2008, 11:29 PM
hmmm... taking the risk of sounding like the lone voice here that likes him. I think that's awesome. And he towers over MP Prime is robot mode, it'd be that much the sweeter.

I don't think the accessories are much of a problem. If I didn't like them, I just wouldn't use them.

dirge
15th October 2008, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't expect Hasbro to have much input - so far they've only taken up MP moulds well after Takara has designed them.

I don't so much care about the depiction of the character, but I'm included to agree with MV75 that this is a waste of the MP concept. Unlike the others, we don't really see added realism in the alt mode - since it's not realistic.

kup
15th October 2008, 11:32 PM
hmmm... taking the risk of sounding like the lone voice here that likes him. I think that's awesome. And he towers over MP Prime is robot mode, it'd be that much the sweeter.

I don't think the accessories are much of a problem. If I didn't like them, I just wouldn't use them.

To me that particular 'waiter' scene in the cartoon was a symbol on how bad the series was deteriorating. That is why I hate it. Its not something that needs to have a tribute but remembered as something that must not be repeated.

Damn! I feel as annoyed as when Greenscream (in final colors) was announced.

FFN
15th October 2008, 11:38 PM
I wouldn't expect Hasbro to have much input - so far they've only taken up MP moulds well after Takara has designed them.

I don't so much care about the depiction of the character, but I'm included to agree with MV75 that this is a waste of the MP concept. Unlike the others, we don't really see added realism in the alt mode - since it's not realistic. Hasbro was involved in the design process of MP Convoy/Prime (Don Figueroa was hired to do an early concept), but had little to no involvement in Starscream and Megatron.

Masterpiece was not about doing characters realistically, but doing them like one of those expensive japanese die cast robot toys of classic mecha - updated collector-oriented detailing and features. If MP was about doing things realistically, then Optimus Prime totally failed, since his truck mode is less realistic than the G1 toy :P

jacksplatt11
15th October 2008, 11:42 PM
Looks pretty good to me, sure it's similar to the G1 toy but it'll still have the same level of articulation and details etc that the other masterpiece's have had so far, and hopefully some die-cast parts...

On another note, Mickey looks interesting

k.wong23
15th October 2008, 11:48 PM
I'll be happy as long as there is great articulation, not a fragile POS and some chrome :)

dirge
15th October 2008, 11:52 PM
Masterpiece was not about doing characters realistically, but doing them like one of those expensive japanese die cast robot toys of classic mecha - updated collector-oriented detailing and features. If MP was about doing things realistically, then Optimus Prime totally failed, since his truck mode is less realistic than the G1 toy :P

Yeah but as part of the upgrading, we get a much finer level detail of detail in alt mode, giving a very satisfying alt mode. This was especially the case with Starscream.

Grimlock's dinosaur mode can't achieve that same level for me.

I'm not concerned, mind you - I have no plans to buy this one, and I'm not concerned about it :)

STL
15th October 2008, 11:57 PM
Yeap, worry warts. I say there's nada to worry about. Just accessories. Two things Grimlock must have in my opinion are :

- Blaster
- Sword

Anything else is an optional extra. Apart from the Matrix and gun, I've rarely every used any of MP01's features.

jaydisc
15th October 2008, 11:59 PM
The MP Prime mold has more gaps and unevenness than Universe Ironhide. For an MP, I find that unacceptable.

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/r_mp4convoy045.jpg
http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/r_mp4convoy031.jpg

On the other hand, I find Starscream's alt mode to be quite impressive.

I'll hold judgment on Grimlock until I can see a more detailed pic.

kup
16th October 2008, 12:04 AM
What ruins this mold for me is already set in stone so there is nothing here for me.

heroic_decepticon
16th October 2008, 12:08 AM
To me that particular 'waiter' scene in the cartoon was a symbol on how bad the series was deteriorating. That is why I hate it. Its not something that needs to have a tribute but remembered as something that must not be repeated.

Totally agree with you there. Dinobots in Season 3 were a total disgrace. I guess what I'm saying is that Takara can include any accessory they like, but if I didn't like it, I just wouldn't use it. heh.

The MP Prime mold has more gaps and unevenness than Universe Ironhide. For an MP, I find that unacceptable.

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/r_mp4convoy045.jpg
http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/r_mp4convoy031.jpg

On the other hand, I find Starscream's alt mode to be quite impressive.

I'll hold judgment on Grimlock until I can see a more detailed pic.

'They're just toys', there's only so much they can do :D

King Atlas
16th October 2008, 12:08 AM
Wow, can't wait to see the coloured pictures. I have no complaints about acquiring a masterpiece grimlock :) Besides, I havn't even seen the final product and so will not underestimate his potential to be a great tf.

FFN
16th October 2008, 12:11 AM
Yeah but as part of the upgrading, we get a much finer level detail of detail in alt mode, giving a very satisfying alt mode. This was especially the case with Starscream.

Grimlock's dinosaur mode can't achieve that same level for me.

I'm not concerned, mind you - I have no plans to buy this one, and I'm not concerned about it :) According to Tomy's solicitation blurb, apparently he has lots of detailing. Something about being a "Transformer created by Transformers" (following the cartoon origin).

Pulse
16th October 2008, 12:11 AM
From these not-so-great pics...

Dinomode = I expected something more (It reminds me of Godzilla... :rolleyes:)

Botmode = I'm glad it's just that much more bulkier than the last most-recently designed MP (Megs) :)

As we all know, the more bulkier/the more solid of a figure, The better figure he'll most likely be :)

heroic_decepticon
16th October 2008, 12:14 AM
According to Tomy's solicitation blurb, apparently he has lots of detailing. Something about being a "Transformer created by Transformers" (following the cartoon origin).
Certainly does make sense. I suppose too that we can expect a dinosaur to look realistic since we're not even sure what a 'real' one actually looks like.

kup
16th October 2008, 12:23 AM
I am too tired, I only had 2 hours sleep last night and have been up all day.

Perhaps my exhaustion is what's causing my nerd rage :)

I will have a look at the pic tomorrow and see how I feel.

Tober
16th October 2008, 12:23 AM
I'm impressd so far. :p

The alt mode is almost exactly what I thougt it would be - a chunky Godzilla-Rex. I would have preferred something more 'realistically proportioned' like BW Megatron... but, yeah, this is what I expected.

Bot mode looks great tho.

Golden Phoenix
16th October 2008, 12:28 AM
I think he looks pretty good.
What scares me is the Crossover Mickey Prime

heroic_decepticon
16th October 2008, 12:28 AM
I am too tired, I only had 2 hours sleep last night and have been up all day.

Perhaps my exhaustion is what's causing my nerd rage :)

I will have a look at the pic tomorrow and see how I feel.

mate, go get some sleep! :cool:

Robzy
16th October 2008, 01:35 AM
Me Robzy don't mind Grimlock too much!

I haven't been a huge fan of the MP line since the Prime mould. I'll probably pick this up, but I'd like to see more detailed pics! I've said for ages that I would have preferred MP Soundwave anyway! Oh well... :(

Stompy
16th October 2008, 01:59 AM
I agree with jaydisc regarding MP OP. The alt mode "flaws" are inexcusable and Starscreams alt mode was just pure awesome.

This Grimlock is looking great. I guess they are just trying to honour the original look hence the "shell" like transformation. I am also hoping it's not just a large "voyager" with a simple conversion much like Animated Grimlock. But we will need to see better pics I guess. Both modes are looking good, except I have never been keen on the claws around the bot mode's wrist.

That Mickey Prime is looking good. I guess they are doing a crossover by making the Truck and bot mode resemble both the Mickey Mouse cartoon and Optimus Prime. Not sure how this would go down with the purists here as it may be bastardizing Optimus a bit by blending it with Mickey Mouse.

The_Damned
16th October 2008, 04:56 AM
I don't understand all the negativity:confused:
I think he looks awesome in dino and robot mode.
Can't wait to see better pics.

Soundwarp
16th October 2008, 07:11 AM
Must get.

genechan
16th October 2008, 07:22 AM
I am quite looking forward to seeing more pics of MP Grimlock! Hate to admit it but he would the only MP I would really want after Screamer (Wouldn't mind getting Opitmus one day though). I wonder how big he would be too, bigger than the other MP's maybe?

blackie
16th October 2008, 07:33 AM
I would have preferred MP Soundwave anyway! Oh well... :(

WOW that would be awesome, the only thing that would be cooler would be an MP shockwave :Di

MV75
16th October 2008, 07:44 AM
I must admit I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a mp dinobot. :D

Still a complete waste of time though.

Soundwarp
16th October 2008, 07:55 AM
Serious?

Looks like the original upscaled. I always wondered why would anyone want a mp grimlock, and now I'm really wondering why anyone would want a mp grimlock. What a wasted opportunity on doing something good, (devastator for one).

Well i must disagree....

I for one really want one :D

MV75
16th October 2008, 08:02 AM
So you'd rather this than a mp devastator, mp soundwave, mp shockwave, mp blaster..... etc? That's what I mean about a wasted opportunity to do something good aside from an oversized, overpriced grimlock.

Can I have your original grimlock when you get this toy then? :)

genechan
16th October 2008, 08:11 AM
MP Blaster would be awesome!! Would love for them to MP Jazz or MP Sharpnel!!

blackie
16th October 2008, 08:39 AM
oh MP Devy would be sweet as. imagine the size :D
i can only hope tho i think

i_amtrunks
16th October 2008, 09:00 AM
Not bad. Not all that great either.

The price is the big deterrent, he is either going to have to be super detailed or very large to be worth that price.

Need more pics and colours before I make any final decisions. If he had his Marvel G1 crown I'd be leaning towards buying him.

gamblor916
16th October 2008, 09:30 AM
I like it. They probably should have updated the dino mode but the bot mode looks very nice. I'm getting one for sure.

Kyle
16th October 2008, 09:33 AM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/193032-masterpiece-grimlock-first-pic.html

I find it very rude the poster on TFW2005 copied the photos but blurred out the original link on them:
http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergundam/

Anyway I'm liking MP Grimlock. :)

It'll be horror (and funny...?) to see a Donald Duck Megatron...

kup
16th October 2008, 09:35 AM
Yeah I had a good look at it this morning I have realized that I did over react. I got hanged on the old school T-Rex mode (I wanted a modernized IDW type T-Rex) and the waiter accessories. I shouldn't of thrown a tantrum like that.

After looking at it properly, if they had shown the Robot mode alone, I would have been very happy with it. However I still don't like the T-Rex mode and the fact that they are trying to portray the worse take on G1 Grimlock (Season 3).

lcz128
16th October 2008, 09:50 AM
I'm a bit half-half with MP Grimlock - as I don't really see the point... But damn! I'm glad I got to see the pics of Dinobot and hotshot! :D
With Hotshot, I'd argue it's hard to get any worse than the original toy - :b So it really doesn't look bad at all! :b

Paulbot
16th October 2008, 09:54 AM
I like the look of both new toys in that link.

MP Grimlock does look more like a super classics Grimlock but that's fine with me.

Don't like the tray? Lose it and no harm done (I don't even recall what episode that is supposed to reference; not a surprise as I dislike all of series three). A Marvel Comics crown would be a nice touch but I can't recall Masterpiece toys ever doing a homage to anything but the cartoon.

And I agree with Kyle that the blurring of the website watermark is a pretty low act by the TFW2005 poster.

sifun
16th October 2008, 10:03 AM
i like the dino mode, but robot mode looks a bit strange in those pics.

Metroplex
16th October 2008, 10:48 AM
Im liking the idea of the MP Grimlock, would be nice to see the finish product before i decide on purchasing it.

GoktimusPrime
16th October 2008, 11:18 AM
It'll be horror (and funny...?) to see a Donald Duck Megatron...
No!! It should be a purple repaint as MP BW Megatron with a yellow rubber pretender shell shaped like a duck :D :)

griffin
16th October 2008, 11:44 AM
So you'd rather this than a mp devastator, mp soundwave, mp shockwave, mp blaster..... etc? That's what I mean about a wasted opportunity to do something good aside from an oversized, overpriced grimlock.

Can I have your original grimlock when you get this toy then? :)

Don't be too dismissive with an uncoloured prototype. Most prototypes are panned by fans, but the coloured or finished versions get quite a bit of support. MP Starscream (the white one at least) was well received by fans, but the uncoloured prototype (the later modded version) was bagged pretty heavily. There are just too many details lost in the uncoloured prototype to judge it fairly, because only the people at Hasbro/Takara are working with a colour scheme from the beginning, giving them a complete picture.
Re-assess it when a coloured version comes out, and if you still don't like it, fair enough. I think there will be plenty of fans who will buy a giant sized Grimlock with Gen1 styled transformation (like the other MPs).

And it looks like Hasbro might be releasing it in the later half of next year anyway, after the movie line is winding up...
http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=54374#post54374

JuzMel
16th October 2008, 11:59 AM
Yeah I also think we shouldn't be too disappointed with the prototype mode as well, wait till you get better photos of the figure. But for me it's Grimlock, it's a MP and it's a dinobot, so it's a must buy for me.

On the other hand, amidst all the rambling, did anyone realised it says that the release date is on March 2009? ;)

MV75
16th October 2008, 12:10 PM
Robot will look better coloured, but don't expect it to look much different in dino mode, it'll still be all grey. :) Plus the detailing I do see turns me off, looks like he's got a robot skin disease.

But the thing that's really getting me is the very simple look of it. It's not a 13000yen toy. It should be a supreme.

I suppose though with it's very low sub-par for a MP transformation, it'll be something that not too much time should have been wasted on and to be something they can throw out there and say "here it is, now shut up about grimlock and let us design something kick arse". :D

"But also in the meantime, here's a white one called overkill". :D :D

heroic_decepticon
16th October 2008, 12:12 PM
Not that I wouldnt buy the coloured version, but I think an entirely grey unpainted MP figure of this guy would be nice. If only they sold it like that.

heroic_decepticon
16th October 2008, 12:14 PM
"But also in the meantime, here's a white one called overkill". :D :D

hahaha, nice one.

MV75
16th October 2008, 12:44 PM
Not that I wouldnt buy the coloured version, but I think an entirely grey unpainted MP figure of this guy would be nice. If only they sold it like that.

Heh, imagine making a mp model kit. :) Now that would be cool. The simplistic look of this mould would do pretty well for that I think.

Pulse
16th October 2008, 12:48 PM
Heh, imagine making a mp model kit. :) Now that would be cool. The simplistic look of this mould would do pretty well for that I think.

Gobots style (http://cgi.ebay.com/GO-BOTS-MONOGRAM-BUGGYMAN-MODEL-KIT-MIB-1984-GOBOTS_W0QQitemZ330272180239QQihZ014QQcategoryZ424 9QQcmdZViewItem)? That would so not work... :rolleyes:

The_Damned
16th October 2008, 12:54 PM
a g2 recolour would be nice.

Gutsman Heavy
16th October 2008, 12:57 PM
oh it is pure sex!

Hereticpoo
16th October 2008, 01:19 PM
Oooh nice! While I agree it is a bit of a waste for the MP Category, I'm still going to by this sexy brute. How do they choose what comes next? I mean a lot of Autobots were well represented in Binaltech/Alternators and I think the two (Masterpiece and BinALts) lines look good together. Jetfire Maybe? Just by a Hikaru VF-1 from Macross.

I think the design sums up Grimlock quite well. From an Autobot POV his alt mode is designed to get the job done, reckless brute force, he's a blunt instrument. Grimlock is not about being a pretty robot, save the aethetics for the Sideswipes and the vain Starscreams.

MP Soundwave: Has been released its just called Music Label! :D

MP: Devastator, I will eat every key on my keyboard if that ever happens. And I wont take any fibre supplements after! :D

I'd like to see an MP Arcee. We never got her in G1 and I think the MP line would be perfect for her. Whatever happens I'd hate to be the designers, no matter what they do someone will hate it. :)

kup
16th October 2008, 01:28 PM
Oooh nice! While I agree it is a bit of a waste for the MP Category, I'm still going to by this sexy brute. How do they choose what comes next? I mean a lot of Autobots were well represented in Binaltech/Alternators and I think the two (Masterpiece and BinALts) lines look good together. Jetfire Maybe? Just by a Hikaru VF-1 from Macross.

I think the design sums up Grimlock quite well. From an Autobot POV his alt mode is designed to get the job done, reckless brute force, he's a blunt instrument. Grimlock is not about being a pretty robot, save the aethetics for the Sideswipes and the vain Starscreams.

MP Soundwave: Has been released its just called Music Label! :D

MP: Devastator, I will eat every key on my keyboard if that ever happens. And I wont take any fibre supplements after! :D

I'd like to see an MP Arcee. We never got her in G1 and I think the MP line would be perfect for her. Whatever happens I'd hate to be the designers, no matter what they do someone will hate it. :)

Maybe Jetfire.

However If they are going to put this sort of effort in the future (simple over sized design), it would be best if they end the MP line completely and reinvented some time later.

liegeprime
16th October 2008, 01:55 PM
I like it. So does this means they will shell out the rest of the Dinobots in MPs as well? That would rock! Especially MP Snarl with all his gold plated plates and tail goodness. Hopefully they also keep the clear plastic parts showing some internal mechanisms/nuts and bolts effect like the G1 toys had. Hmmm wonder if theres a "hidden cockpit" for a diaclone driver on this one hehehe:D:D:D. Then we can finally have a use for kicker.:p:p;)

heroic_decepticon
16th October 2008, 02:25 PM
Gobots style (http://cgi.ebay.com/GO-BOTS-MONOGRAM-BUGGYMAN-MODEL-KIT-MIB-1984-GOBOTS_W0QQitemZ330272180239QQihZ014QQcategoryZ424 9QQcmdZViewItem)? That would so not work... :rolleyes:

'Buggyman'. The people who named Go-Bots should be given a posthumous no-prize for their ingenuity.

I'd like to see an MP Arcee. We never got her in G1 and I think the MP line would be perfect for her.

They did a BT Arcee. Maybe that would be the end of it, to Takara at least.

I like it. So does this means they will shell out the rest of the Dinobots in MPs as well? That would rock!

That would rock on so many levels. Maybe we should each buy 10 pieces, or an excessive amount, of MP Grimlocks to lure Takara into thinking that MP dinobots will sell really well- then they'd go make all 5 into MPs. Man, if i see this day, I'll donate a set of 5 to some children's charity and another set of 5 to some old folks' home.

FFN
16th October 2008, 03:43 PM
Certainly does make sense. I suppose too that we can expect a dinosaur to look realistic since we're not even sure what a 'real' one actually looks like. I think that just means it was made by designers who weren't aware that the Dinobots weren't created on Earth in most G1 continuities. Though you can also say riveted dinosaur robots have a tough, powerful "steampunk" look and feel.

I like it. So does this means they will shell out the rest of the Dinobots in MPs as well? That would rock! Especially MP Snarl with all his gold plated plates and tail goodness. Hopefully they also keep the clear plastic parts showing some internal mechanisms/nuts and bolts effect like the G1 toys had. Hmmm wonder if theres a "hidden cockpit" for a diaclone driver on this one hehehe:D:D:D. Then we can finally have a use for kicker.:p:p;)I don't think it's likely. As I recall, Hasbro said somewhere (possibly at a BotCon) that they have to push TakaraTomy to make Grimlock because he's not a particularly popular character over there. Now if the Dinobots are comparatively much more popular in the West, yet apparently not popular enough for Hasbro to do a bunch of Classics/Universe Dinobots - at least not yet, anyway- then I don't think there's much of a chance for other MP Dinobots, at least not by Tomy by themselves.

GoktimusPrime
16th October 2008, 04:08 PM
As I recall, Hasbro said somewhere (possibly at a BotCon) that they have to push TakaraTomy to make Grimlock because he's not a particularly popular character over there.
I don't think Hasbro are allowed to influence or dictate Japanese TF lines like Masterpiece due to the "non-market-interference" agreement between the two companies. Even if Hasbro wanted Takara to develop the toy for their own market they don't need to do any pushing - just make the order and pay up. Effectively all TF action figures are (co-)developed and manufactured by Takara, even Hasbro exclusive ones.

I can understand Grimlock not being as popular in Japan though... they never had Simon Furman. :) Then again Chromedome is really popular in Japan... whoa... MP Chromedome (or MP Fortress Maximus! Yeah, just pipe-dream :p).

That would rock on so many levels. Maybe we should each buy 10 pieces, or an excessive amount, of MP Grimlocks to lure Takara into thinking that MP dinobots will sell really well- then they'd go make all 5 into MPs.
Not all of us can afford to collect expensive Transformers in multiples ya know. :p ;)

Man, if i see this day, I'll donate a set of 5 to some children's charity and another set of 5 to some old folks' home.
Bugger the old folks' home - donate it to US!! Have a random draw! (and by random, I mean just put my name into the draw :p)

griffin
16th October 2008, 04:11 PM
If Hasbro really do release MP Grimlock as their late 2009 MP toy (in one of the Q&A sessions), it must have warranted TT to do it, to cover the cost of developing it.

Zippo
16th October 2008, 05:02 PM
Well I like it. Final pictures/in box pictures will help win me over.
Part of me wants to bag it if it happens to just be an oversized G1 toy..

Adzma
16th October 2008, 06:06 PM
Aww everyone hates Grimlock. :( Still, so far I don't think an MP has been made that didn't receive criticism so I guess it's just normal. Oh well, I still think he's epic.

Pulse
16th October 2008, 07:17 PM
Aww everyone hates Grimlock. :( Still, so far I don't think an MP has been made that didn't receive criticism so I guess it's just normal. Oh well, I still think he's epic.

I wouldn't say that :).

It's just that the one prototype pic we have so far doesn't really show off any details in the best light (not by a long way). I just hope the next coloured pic of him puts our doubts/concerns to rest :).

SilverDragon
16th October 2008, 07:22 PM
The dinosaur mode looks like an interesting hybrid of the toy and the cartoon model.

Waiter? Brain transfer thingy? Seriously, TT, what gave you the idea that fans would WANT to remember how retarded Grimlock got in season 3? Give him a crown instead.

Paulbot
16th October 2008, 08:01 PM
Adzma not everyone is negative :)

Hmm. This does raise the question about the G1 comics. Did they ever make it to Japan in any form apart from diehard fans scanlating them? I would guess not.. in which case the number of Transfans in the MP target market that know Grimlock ever wore a crown would be pretty small.

TF76
16th October 2008, 08:13 PM
I love it and i'm really glad the Dino mode wasn't updated (Just for how I always perceive the character.)

So far to me, it looks like Grimlock should.

My birthday is in march too, I'm excited.

jaydisc
16th October 2008, 08:28 PM
Give him a crown instead.

That's initially what I thought the waiter tray was!

Verno
16th October 2008, 08:37 PM
I can't be bothered reading through 8 pages.

What about 25th Ann. Dinobot? I was hoping it was gonna save it for me and I might get Cheetor if he was good.

But no!

roller
16th October 2008, 08:43 PM
im surprised, i thought a MP Grimlock would be a ridiculous looking brikck

i thought the concept was impossible to pull off

i like it, the dino mode looks good and the robot mode is boss!!!!

As for the season 3 accessory, man that is cool! I hope he has a small bow tie

I can't understand why some people are complaining, they all love Grimlock for his Marvel comics appearances, but MPs are for cartoon accuracy.

im pleased with this toy, if i have some cash whenever its released id seriously consider it.

Season 3 reference, 5 thumbs up!!!

hahahaha woooooo cartoon grimlock not Marvel Grimlock !

Pipesqueak
16th October 2008, 09:03 PM
I'm very happy with a simple design like this that hopefully will be nice and sturdy and fun to transform.

Give me that over an over-complicated, super-fragile, no-fun-whatsoever design like MP Megatron any day.

dirge
16th October 2008, 09:23 PM
Jetfire Maybe?

Won't happen. TT have no history with the Valkyrie, since Jetfire was never released there. We'd get Skyfire. I'd _love_ a MP Skyfire, and I think he's one of the best candidates. Hasbro would realise that Skyfire will still sell in the US market, since there's a lot of nostalgia for him, as well as Jetfire.

Hey! Noone disses Buggyman...

http://www.paxeiro.com/buggyman.gif

Tober
16th October 2008, 09:55 PM
Won't happen. TT have no history with the Valkyrie, since Jetfire was never released there. We'd get Skyfire. I'd _love_ a MP Skyfire, and I think he's one of the best candidates. Hasbro would realise that Skyfire will still sell in the US market, since there's a lot of nostalgia for him, as well as Jetfire.

It might happen. How well did Henkei Skyfire sell? Sky/Jetfire is in the TF2movie too (I believe). He will appear in Animated as well (even tho he looks like crud).

Takara has a history with Kawamori - for better or worse.

If you want a Masterpiece Jetfire buy a 1/48 Yamato Valk with Strike armour and some red paint. LINK (http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=21930&st=0&p=473945&#entry473945)

If Takara was bought out by BANDAI instead of TOMY we would be swimming in Skyfire Encores. Ah well :(

heroic_decepticon
16th October 2008, 10:09 PM

An MP Skyfire would be so sweet- the design that appeared in Fire in the Sky and not some sorry excuse of a valkyrie called Jetfire. bah.

Don't even like the name Jetfire... (http://heroicdecepticon.blogspot.com/2004/11/i-like-to-call-him-skyfire.html)

Hey! Noone disses Buggyman...

http://www.paxeiro.com/buggyman.gif

:eek:

As for the season 3 accessory, man that is cool! I hope he has a small bow tie

<snip>

Season 3 reference, 5 thumbs up!!!

I think Grimlock was marginally forgivable in 'Grimlock's new brain'. Takara did release Grimlock with the brain cap for their SCF series. Maybe there'sa chance they'll do that for the MP too.

dirge
16th October 2008, 10:15 PM
It might happen. How well did Henkei Skyfire sell? Sky/Jetfire is in the TF2movie too (I believe). He will appear in Animated as well (even tho he looks like crud).

I think you misunderstood me. MP Jetfire won't happen, Skyfire would happen instead. Jetfire has no history in Japan - Skyfire does.

jaydisc
16th October 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm in full support of any version of Skyfire. 'Twas always my childhood dream. The classics/henkei head mold delivered half that dream. Just need an accurate alt mode now.

MV75
16th October 2008, 11:43 PM
I reckon the classics version was pretty much spot on for giving skyfire a modern look. :) I really doubt you'd get any better. Plus after all the screamer releases, I think there are way too many enough planes in the mp line. :)

I reckon they should do someone that hasn't been reissued yet, or someone that isn't in another current line (character name). I suppose that Grimlock does fit that bill, but yea, someone better has to be there somewhere. :D

Or as previously said, mp arcee. May as well go for someone that was never even done in the first place.

heroic_decepticon
17th October 2008, 12:32 AM
MP Straxus!

Pulse
17th October 2008, 12:37 AM
Or as previously said, mp arcee. May as well go for someone that was never even done in the first place.

I would be beside myself with happiness if we were to get some sort of G1-esque Arcee :).

Be it MP-scale, heaven forbid an Arcee that looks as though it was originally released in '86 (Phwoar! :D) or this upcoming Animated one - It's one thing that's always irked me that we never got a G1 Arcee... :rolleyes:

FFN
17th October 2008, 04:47 AM
I don't think Hasbro are allowed to influence or dictate Japanese TF lines like Masterpiece due to the "non-market-interference" agreement between the two companies. Even if Hasbro wanted Takara to develop the toy for their own market they don't need to do any pushing - just make the order and pay up. Effectively all TF action figures are (co-)developed and manufactured by Takara, even Hasbro exclusive ones. If this is so, then it seems to be a one-way street. Didn't Hasbro tell their tale of woe about how the Alternators Dodge Ram was pitched for a different character but ended up as Optimus Prime at the insistence of Takara because the Japanese market was unfamiliar with pickup trucks and needed Convoy to sell it?

Manufacture? Do you actually mean engineer? In terms of manufacturing Hasbro, being a far bigger company, most likely contracts more factories to make Transformers.

MP Straxus! NO! MP Scrounge!

His special arm - there's no other like it!

kup
17th October 2008, 07:26 AM
hahahaha woooooo cartoon grimlock not Marvel Grimlock !

If they wanted to go for cartoon Grimlock, it should have been Season 1-2 not 3.

GoktimusPrime
17th October 2008, 09:54 AM
If this is so, then it seems to be a one-way street. Didn't Hasbro tell their tale of woe about how the Alternators Dodge Ram was pitched for a different character but ended up as Optimus Prime at the insistence of Takara because the Japanese market was unfamiliar with pickup trucks and needed Convoy to sell it?
I've never heard of that before. If it's true then perhaps it's one of those toys that Hasbro and Takara cooperated on to market toward both their markets, as they did with Armada/Micron Legend. But that's different from one company overtly dominating over the other - as I understand it from Archer (re: interview, G1 DVD special features) it was a collaborative effort with both companies negotiating what could work for both respective markets rather than one bossing the other.

Manufacture? Do you actually mean engineer? In terms of manufacturing Hasbro, being a far bigger company, most likely contracts more factories to make Transformers.
On most TF toy packaging and copyright stampage I see the word "Takara" or "TOMY" appearing. Also, I did ask Takara if they manufactured all Transformers and they told me yes (this was back when I was trying to see if Takara could produce exclusive TFs for Sabretron 2004, they told me that although they would be manufacturing the toys, I would have to place the order through Hasbro because the figures were intended to be sold at an Australian convention; a Hasbro market).

heroic_decepticon
17th October 2008, 10:49 AM
Makes sense to me.

Adzma
17th October 2008, 11:41 AM
Didn't Hasbro tell their tale of woe about how the Alternators Dodge Ram was pitched for a different character but ended up as Optimus Prime at the insistence of Takara because the Japanese market was unfamiliar with pickup trucks and needed Convoy to sell it?
I've never heard of that before. If it's true then perhaps it's one of those toys that Hasbro and Takara cooperated on to market toward both their markets, as they did with Armada/Micron Legend. But that's different from one company overtly dominating over the other - as I understand it from Archer (re: interview, G1 DVD special features) it was a collaborative effort with both companies negotiating what could work for both respective markets rather than one bossing the other.
I've heard that story before. Apparantley, Alternators Prime was actually going to be Ironhide, but Takara wanted Convoy instead. I don't know if there's any hard evidence but I've certainly heard it before.

kup
17th October 2008, 11:42 AM
I've heard that story before. Apparantley, Alternators Prime was actually going to be Ironhide, but Takara wanted Convoy instead. I don't know if there's any hard evidence but I've certainly heard it before.

I have heard that before too but can't remember where.

FFN
17th October 2008, 04:02 PM
It was at BotCon (probably 2005), shortly before Takara put Binaltech on hiatus, which was funny in a "why did they even bother forcing the Convoy issue then?"

On most TF toy packaging and copyright stampage I see the word "Takara" or "TOMY" appearing. Also, I did ask Takara if they manufactured all Transformers and they told me yes (this was back when I was trying to see if Takara could produce exclusive TFs for Sabretron 2004, they told me that although they would be manufacturing the toys, I would have to place the order through Hasbro because the figures were intended to be sold at an Australian convention; a Hasbro market). What the packaging says is Manufactured under license. From my understanding, it means that because the original Transformers toys were mostly made up of Takara's Diaclone and Microchange toys, the Transformers brand merchandise is made (at least from Hasbro's side) under license from the Japanese company that currently owns the original toy concepts that made up Transformers.

I tend to think that given that neither company actually owns factories in China, they share facilities/production lines when convenient, especially when they are using the same tools.

Until Hasbro or somebody in-the-know says otherwise, I remain skeptical of your claim that TakaraTomy manufactures all the toys. Besides, if they did make all of the end-product toys, that means all the quality control issues lately are TakaraTomy's fault.

griffin
17th October 2008, 04:17 PM
Throw it into the november Q&A, if you have doubt about something current...

kurdt_the_goat
17th October 2008, 05:10 PM
Until Hasbro or somebody in-the-know says otherwise, I remain skeptical of your claim that TakaraTomy manufactures all the toys. Besides, if they did make all of the end-product toys, that means all the quality control issues lately are TakaraTomy's fault.

There's nothing to say the same factory can't produce good QC and bad QC at the same time. It could just come down to someone from TT saying "this is our standard, and this is Hasbro's - the quality on this toy is ok for them, but not for us". They probably even pay the same in terms of labour cost, but just lose out in terms of production costs; producing more toys to meet their quota as more of them don't reach the standards.

heroic_decepticon
17th October 2008, 06:26 PM
What the packaging says is Manufactured under license. From my understanding, it means that because the original Transformers toys were mostly made up of Takara's Diaclone and Microchange toys, the Transformers brand merchandise is made (at least from Hasbro's side) under license from the Japanese company that currently owns the original toy concepts that made up Transformers.

If you're talking about present day toys manufactured under license in the sense you mentioned, it would have nothing to do with the original TF toys. It is most likely under license because Takara designed (any particular toy) and owns the intellectual property rights to the designs. They grant Hasbro a license to use their design, in the manufacture of the toy.

Your last sentance is probably inaccurate as well. Hasbro owns the concepts and the Transformer brand (in terms of intellectual property); Takara owns the interllectual property for the toys, which they can only call 'Transformers' if Hasbro allows them to do so (likely through a license).

While Hasbro licenses Takara the Transformer brand so the Japs can market the toys as TFs, Takara on their end licenses Hasbro the rights to manufacture the toys. Each are distinct concepts.

GoktimusPrime
17th October 2008, 07:04 PM
So... the head of TFs at Takara doesn't count as "somebody-in-the-know"? You can call him directly if you want... I got in touch with him via Takara's call centre number. His name is Takagi.

Lord_Zed
17th October 2008, 07:33 PM
Based on this small tiny picture it looks ok to me.

It's a big chunky Grimlock that can stand next to MP Prime and look tough, seems to have decent detail, the dino mode is old school, but how is it any different from the way he was depicted in 90% of the old toons and comics. I think it was only in the first eps that they actualy showed much detail on Grimlocks dino mode. As for the acssesories there often lame, come on Kremzeek? How is Kremzeek any less silly than Dino waiter? I wouldn't display my toys with either.

So until I see better pics I'm going to go with the I'm excited camp! Maybe he doesn't have the realistic jet mode of Starscream, but he seems to be folowing more closely to Prime's design, of awesome robot mode, toony alt mode. And every time an MP comes out it gets knocked anyways, Optimus had no trailer, Starscreams bot mode differed from the cartoon, megatron was to skinny etc etc. I say show me more before I make a judgment.

genechan
18th October 2008, 12:51 AM
I was surprised to see a accessory of Kremzeek...didn't think he/it was such a important character. LOL

It's a big chunky Grimlock that can stand next to MP Prime and look tough
I agree with you on that one, Zed. That would look awesome :D

kup
18th October 2008, 12:51 AM
I was surprised to see a accessory of Kremzeek...didn't think he/it was such a important character. LOL

I agree with you on that one, Zed. That would look awesome :D

He became 'important' in Kiss Players for all the wrong reasons :D

genechan
18th October 2008, 12:52 AM
He became 'important' in Kiss Players for all the wrong reasons :D

oh....OH :eek:

Lord_Zed
18th October 2008, 12:57 AM
Based on the tiny pic, it still looks to me like it could well be the best Grimlock toy since G1 Grimlock, and that's all I ask.

FFN
18th October 2008, 03:48 AM
So... the head of TFs at Takara doesn't count as "somebody-in-the-know"? You can call him directly if you want... I got in touch with him via Takara's call centre number. His name is Takagi. Ahh, okay then. It was my understanding that since neither company actually owns factories in China anymore and just hire them out, it may be down to who deals with the factories directly.

I'll ask around and see if I can get corroboration of this from Hasbro's side :)

Takagi's full name? The wiki is sorely lacking in information on Takara employees.

dirge
18th October 2008, 08:43 AM
Takagi's full name? The wiki is sorely lacking in information on Takara employees.

I place the blame one firmly on your shoulders, too :p

(okay, maybe not, but it sounds like fun...)

Something like that is pretty obscure, even for a wiki.

It would make sense that only one of the two companies would deal with the factories, really. Mr Factory Owner (*not his real name) would have a contract with Takara-Tomy to build toys. TT tend to handle most of the engineering anyway, so they're the ones who would pass on the instructions.

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2008, 09:33 AM
I told Mr. Takagi that I thought that Takara made TF toys and he said yes. I don't know if they actually own factories in China or outsource to Chinese-owned factories - I didn't get into that much detail... I was only calling him to see if Takara could help me produce some convention-exclusive toys for Sabretron 2004 - and that's when I learnt about the whole "non-cross-market-contamination" clause between Hasbro and Takara. He told me that Takara couldn't help me unless I went through Hasbro Australia first, then Hasbro AU would put an order through to Takara and they would manufacture the toys. Hasbro AU told me that I would have to make a minimum order of 1000 units before they would manufacture an exclusive toyline for an Australian convention... considering that approx. 200 people attended Sabretron 2004 I'm glad I didn't go down that path (that and the fact that there was no way we could afford to pay for something like that).

Buuuuuuuuut I digress... I don't know Takagi's full name. I only called him Takagi-san. :p I spoke to him in 2003 and I'm not sure if he's still in that position atm or not (assuming he hasn't been transferred/promoted/sacked/other then I'm assuming he is) ;)

N.B.: In Japan you don't normally address people by their given names. It's considered impolite. Even most of friends are addressed by their surnames (e.g.: Takagi-kun/chan etc.)

Lint
18th October 2008, 11:20 AM
2 cheap repaints later and this is all they can come up with? A giant G1 grimlock?!? This is an outrage! The paintjob better be something special.

I know we were expecting to be dazzled, but seriously could anyone really come up with a superior design concept? The last thing I would want is an impressive looking T-rex that transforms into beast wars megatron :p

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2008, 01:03 PM
2 cheap repaints later and this is all they can come up with? A giant G1 grimlock?!? This is an outrage!
Who said that it's going to be an oversized G1 Grimlock?

kup
18th October 2008, 01:08 PM
Who said that it's going to be an oversized G1 Grimlock?

Unless they radically redesign it, that is what it looks like. Make the pic larger and analyze the design. It transforms in a very similar way to G1 Grimlock only that the tail tips hide in the boot's back section instead of hanging on the sides.

Pulse
18th October 2008, 02:10 PM
2 cheap repaints later and this is all they can come up with? A giant G1 grimlock?!? This is an outrage! The paintjob better be something special.

I know we were expecting to be dazzled, but seriously could anyone really come up with a superior design concept?

We really should wait for a better pic. An out-of-focus, smallish prototype pic like that can hide a lot of details that can make-or-break a figure of that size & value.

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2008, 03:51 PM
Unless they radically redesign it, that is what it looks like. Make the pic larger and analyze the design. It transforms in a very similar way to G1 Grimlock only that the tail tips hide in the boot's back section instead of hanging on the sides.
In other words, it has a very G1-accurate robot and dino modes. That's a good thing IMO. It is certainly _not_ and upsized G1 Grimlock. The G1 Grimlock toy was never sculpted, articulated or proportioned in that way.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/0/0e/G1Grimlock_toy.jpg/200px-G1Grimlock_toy.jpg (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/0/0e/G1Grimlock_toy.jpg)http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/saxa_00/1-2.jpg

P.S.: is he holding a crown? If so, that's kinda interesting as Grimlock was only ever really a crown-wearing self-proclaimed king in the comics.

kup
18th October 2008, 03:55 PM
In other words, it has a very G1-accurate robot and dino modes. That's a good thing IMO. It is certainly _not_ and upsized G1 Grimlock. The G1 Grimlock toy was never sculpted, articulated or proportioned in that way.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/thumb/0/0e/G1Grimlock_toy.jpg/200px-G1Grimlock_toy.jpg (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/0/0e/G1Grimlock_toy.jpg)http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/saxa_00/1-2.jpg

P.S.: is he holding a crown? If so, that's kinda interesting as Grimlock was only ever really a crown-wearing self-proclaimed king in the comics.

The transformation sequence looks remarkably similar to G1 Grimlock. Adding a few ball joints and modern articulation does not really add to the complexity of the transformation engineering. To transform, all you need to do i splace all the limbs back in a G1 position and transform.

BTW He is holding his waiter tray from Season 3. Based on everything revealed so far, there is no hint that the designers are remotely aware of the comics which makes sense since the only Grimlock the Japanese really know is the cartoon version.

GoktimusPrime
18th October 2008, 04:04 PM
It's got to be more than just making it a more articulated robot mode. Seriously. Look at those lower legs - particularly the left leg where you can have a peek of some of the engineering inside it... that's nothing like the G1 toy. Also notice how the dino mode tail kibble is absent on the MP mould. Where did it go? To me that already suggests that there is some difference in the transformation. Also, the body proportions are quite different. One thing that always looked ungainly on the original Grimlock toy was the way his head was set so far back and his chest protruded really far forward. The MP mould appears to have resolved that issue making the proportions far more humanoid. While it may appear relatively easy I'm guessing that there's quite a few steps in the transformation to force the chest unit to compact itself like that.

There's also an LED gimmick in the right fist - I suspect it's something like the G2 Laser Rod gimmick to make his sword light up... which means that there would be some electronic block inside the body which of course would limit the engineering too - the body won't be able to flip itself inside out like MP Convoy.

Mixmaster
18th October 2008, 04:37 PM
wow. I think Grim looks pretty cool.

Starscream and Megatron had similar transformations to their G1 toy counterparts so I don't see what the fuss is about. There's just some extra fiddling about and some extra folding but essentially they're the same basic format. Grim is no different, why should he be?

To be honest, I'd prefer an MP Soundwave with cassettes, but I will look forward to getting Grimlock.:)

kup
18th October 2008, 05:57 PM
It's got to be more than just making it a more articulated robot mode. Seriously. Look at those lower legs - particularly the left leg where you can have a peek of some of the engineering inside it... that's nothing like the G1 toy. Also notice how the dino mode tail kibble is absent on the MP mould. Where did it go? To me that already suggests that there is some difference in the transformation. Also, the body proportions are quite different. One thing that always looked ungainly on the original Grimlock toy was the way his head was set so far back and his chest protruded really far forward. The MP mould appears to have resolved that issue making the proportions far more humanoid. While it may appear relatively easy I'm guessing that there's quite a few steps in the transformation to force the chest unit to compact itself like that.

There's also an LED gimmick in the right fist - I suspect it's something like the G2 Laser Rod gimmick to make his sword light up... which means that there would be some electronic block inside the body which of course would limit the engineering too - the body won't be able to flip itself inside out like MP Convoy.

I have already addressed the tail kibble. We will see when we have better pics but I don't see the transformation sequence being worthy of the Masterpiece label given the complexity of previous releases.

Eazy D
18th October 2008, 07:09 PM
At the end of the day there's no perfect compromise between alt and robot mode for the MPs. Prime sacrificed the truck mode for cartoon robot realism and proportions. Megs and Screamer sacrificed cartoon robot proportions for alt mode accuracy. It all depends on whether you expect "masterpiece" to refer to the robot or the alt mode.

I'm actually really glad that they seem to be focusing on Grimlock's robot mode for this one and to making him look chunky. The proportions in robot mode are great and the dino mode is actually a really good representation of the GI toon.

I'm sure the transformation wont be too simple. To get those proportions there's bound to be some fiddly stuff.

Does anyone know if any info has been leaked about his size? I really want his robot mode to be on par with Prime and Megs. He is supposed to be a leader character after all.

Lord_Zed
18th October 2008, 08:00 PM
He better be as tall as Megs and Prime for that price.

But I'm with Gok, he looks significantly more detailed and complex than G1 Grimlock, at least as much as MP Prime was from his G1 equivelant, and like Prime he is way more show acurate in both modes.

While I still prefer the Starscream mould to Grimlock so far, I don't understand why everyone complained about Starscream's transformation being revised and made more intresting, and now complain they haven't done the same thing with Grimlock, seems like either path leads to the same point then.

Considering how weak all previous dino Grimlocks have been since G1, I'm glad they used the G1 transformation scheme.

Adzma
18th October 2008, 08:54 PM
Does anyone know if any info has been leaked about his size? I really want his robot mode to be on par with Prime and Megs. He is supposed to be a leader character after all.
I've heard rumours that he's bigger than Prime and Megs, like he is in the show, but they could just be the hopes of fanboys.

kurdt_the_goat
18th October 2008, 08:56 PM
Some people on TFW2005 were suggesting the "15" in the scan was his measurement in inches, however it's just the recommended age!

heroic_decepticon
18th October 2008, 10:32 PM

I like this analysis :D

GoktimusPrime
19th October 2008, 08:44 AM
kurdt: wahahahahahahaha!! Yeah, that kanji after the 15 does mean "age." :p That and the fact that Japan is a metric country so any measurement would be in mm or cm. Silly Yanks. :D

Golden Phoenix
19th October 2008, 11:48 AM
Also notice how the dino mode tail kibble is absent on the MP mould. Where did it go?

Same place as Prime's trailer: Subspace

MV75
23rd October 2008, 12:03 AM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-mp-08-grimlock-design-sketches-166045/

heroic_decepticon
23rd October 2008, 12:11 AM
why would there be a 'copyright, Disney' thingy for Grimlock

kurdt_the_goat
23rd October 2008, 12:13 AM
It's chopped from another page showcasing the Mickey Mouse TF :)

Pulse
23rd October 2008, 12:21 AM
Ooooh panel lines... :D

Seriously, this doesn't show us anything new...

kurdt_the_goat
23rd October 2008, 12:44 AM
The article on TFW points out that there's a flamethrower accesory for his mouth in the sketches.. that's new isn't it? I'm a bit surprised they chose not to better conceal the hinges on his neck and back. I guess imperfections are ok though, if you think about the concept "Transformer made by Transformers" they were talking about.

STL
23rd October 2008, 12:59 AM
The article on TFW points out that there's a flamethrower accesory for his mouth in the sketches.. that's new isn't it? I'm a bit surprised they chose not to better conceal the hinges on his neck and back. I guess imperfections are ok though, if you think about the concept "Transformer made by Transformers" they were talking about.

I thought we already heard about the flamethrower gimmick last time so I figured it wasn't new to me. Something to do w/ the higher price IIRC. I'm not that fussed on price. If it's a better toy that the recent new MP mold, Megatron, I'm happy to fork out more. And if it's that good, put me down for two or three!

jacksplatt11
23rd October 2008, 01:25 AM
Yeah I'm not really fussed about price either, it's a must have for me so although the exchange may be insanely high come order time next year, I'll still be buying :p

Lord_Zed
24th October 2008, 12:30 AM
http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/masterpiece-mp-08-grimlock-design-sketches-166045/

That Sketch just makes me want it more, the details on the chest in robot mode remind me of Action Master Grimlock in the Comic.

He looks like a nice chunky robot toy, which I thought would be a good thing seeing as how everyone complained about Megatrons skiny legs. So far Im looking forward more to this than any of the universe stuff shown.

sifun
27th October 2008, 01:52 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachments/transformers-news-rumors/7386d1225021946-dengeki-hobby-december-pics-dsc04057.jpg

a better pic of the concept art for MP grimlock.
faceplate seems a bit too thin :(

looks awesome however

gamblor916
27th October 2008, 01:59 PM
He does look awesome. Now just have to pray the AU$ to Yen gets better.

Tober
27th October 2008, 03:28 PM
The latest Japanese hobby magazines have apparently reported that MP Grimlock will only be as tall as MP Starscream in bot mode, approx. 20cm which means it will be a rather small toy with a huge price tag.

As much as I would like to share my personal views about the above information, this board's PG-12 rating prohibits the language and references to the mentally impaired I would find most appropriate to describe it.

liegeprime
27th October 2008, 04:34 PM

Most would have probably resigned :p:p;):D Reason: just looks at Gok's Comics on replacement parts for MP prime hehehe. I know I wouldn't work if thats how they finsh off employees making mistakes.:p

sifun
27th October 2008, 04:34 PM
He should be taller than prime and megatron! scale issues is bad

Gutsman Heavy
27th October 2008, 04:45 PM
if he is Screamers size he's going straight to the Classic/Universe shelf!

Adzma
27th October 2008, 05:59 PM
The latest Japanese hobby magazines have apparently reported that MP Grimlock will only be as tall as MP Starscream in bot mode, approx. 20cm which means it will be a rather small toy with a huge price tag.
If this is true, then there is no way in hell I'm getting him. That is unacceptable, both for the pricetag and the very nature of what MP scaling should be. If it is officially announced that he's the size of Screamer, I hope that it doesn't meet sale expectations, and fails miserably to teach Takara a lesson. :mad:

kup
27th October 2008, 06:19 PM
If that is the correct scale then it would only make him little more than 1.5x larger than G1 grimlock!

I am very dissapointed overall about this MP, its failing for me on many levels.

GoktimusPrime
27th October 2008, 06:27 PM
Still not as poor as Pretender Grimlock. :p

Zippo
27th October 2008, 06:38 PM
Please do not say that the size thing is true..
For 13000 Yen he needs to be bigger than Prime and Megatron.

kurdt_the_goat
27th October 2008, 06:49 PM
You guys need to relax! At least this way the shipping weight will be less :)
I'm not too fussed by a smaller size (limited shelf space!), but if you are, just think there must be some part of the picture that we don't completely know yet, for the price to be so high.

Lord_Zed
27th October 2008, 07:53 PM
To be honest I couldn't care less about size, price is the issue! What makes this toy more exspenisve than it's counter parts? If it looks like it is worth it I'll get it, but if not then no. Same with the Alternity, it's also more exspensive than other things its size. This might have been ok when the world economy was up, but now exspensive luxury items are going to have a harder time finding buyers.

They better not use the cost of materials excuse, seeing how the price of oil is down.

Tober
27th October 2008, 08:16 PM
I hope that it doesn't meet sale expectations, and fails miserably to teach Takara a lesson. :mad:

TAKARA prided themselves on quality and they sank for it. They essentially don't exist anymore as a company. They are now simply a division of TOMY who are synonymous with cost-cutting and over-pricing. Their logo is basically just left on the packaging as a legacy.

Kyle
27th October 2008, 08:20 PM
I can actually stand Grimlock being a little shorter than MP Prime... (just a little). But about same height as Starscream? What a joke...

GoktimusPrime
27th October 2008, 08:55 PM
Just to put things into some perspective here...
G1 1984 Optimus Prime = 16cm
G1 1984 Megatron = 17cm
G1 1984 Starscream = 14cm
G1 1985 Grimlock = 15cm
So in G1 Grimlock was always shorter than Optimus Prime and Megatron and only slightly taller than Starscream. Also, what the toy lacks in height it may compensate for in bulk, as with the BT Grimlock mould.

I can understand the gripe about the price tag though. An LED shouldn't make the toy cost that much more. *shrug* :/

Adzma
27th October 2008, 09:17 PM
Well we all know that scaling in Transformers is... hectic to say the least, but I still maintain that Grimmers should be taller than both Prime and Megatron because that's how he appears in the show, (don't know about the comics :confused:). I'm still disappointed with MP Starscream's height but I thought the problem had been acknowledged and rectified when Megs was released in the same scale as Prime. Still, all we can do is wait and see.

Lord_Zed
27th October 2008, 11:02 PM
Well we all know that scaling in Transformers is... hectic to say the least,

Hectic? Non existent is more the word I'd use, we really should be used to this by now. As for the comic, he's about the same height as Prime, usually he actually grows and shrinks. Further proof that scale is an unknown variable in the TF universe, that's what happens when you add mass shifting to the mix.

Maybe one day all TF's will be properly scaled, probably about the time scientist genetically engineer winged pigs.

I'm going to wait and see what this Grimlock looks like painted before I make the call, I've got no problems with MP Prime and the seeker bunch, so we'll see.

FFN
28th October 2008, 12:06 AM
Just to put things into some perspective here...
G1 1984 Optimus Prime = 16cm
G1 1984 Megatron = 17cm
G1 1984 Starscream = 14cm
G1 1985 Grimlock = 15cm
So in G1 Grimlock was always shorter than Optimus Prime and Megatron and only slightly taller than Starscream. Also, what the toy lacks in height it may compensate for in bulk, as with the BT Grimlock mould.

I can understand the gripe about the price tag though. An LED shouldn't make the toy cost that much more. *shrug* :/ Yeah, but you're talking about the G1 toys. In fiction, Grimlock is usually equal to or taller than Prime and Megatron. Most modern depictions of Grimlock show him to be larger than both.

STL
28th October 2008, 01:02 AM
At the end of the day, scale is a fiction imposed criteria. So its really each to their own.

For me, I like Grimlock as large as Prime or Megatron, larger than Prime, or larger than the rest of the Autobot cars and the Seekers.

1orion2many
28th October 2008, 02:43 PM
:)He's a T-Rex so as far as I'm concerned he should look dominating, in other words he should be a good head taller than Optimus.:cool:

GoktimusPrime
28th October 2008, 05:36 PM
At the end of the day, scale is a fiction imposed criteria. So its really each to their own.
+1 QFT

He's a T-Rex so as far as I'm concerned he should look dominating, in other words he should be a good head taller than Optimus.
BT Grimlock is at the same scale as other BTs yet he still looks quite imposing because of the way that they bulked him out.

FFN
30th October 2008, 09:33 PM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/194668-new-mp-grimlock-proto-images-look-_.html

Just wild speculation on my part, but that Marvel King Grimlock crown suggests Hasbro did have some involvement in this project, or Hidetsugu Yoshioka and Hirofumi Ichikawa* pushed for the inclusion of a US-continuity specific accessory.

*Hidetsugu Yoshioka (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hidetsugu_Yoshioka) appears to be a big fan of Derek Yaniger's G2 work and Hirofumi Ichikawa (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hirofumi_Ichikawa) is well-known for his preference to the Western TF fiction.

Pulse
30th October 2008, 09:39 PM
Hmmm, not too bad at all :)

The transformation looks very simplistic but those accessories (besides the sword) are just plain stoopid... :rolleyes:

kup
30th October 2008, 09:42 PM
I like the crown and the sword. Don't like the rest of the accessories, waste of plastic.

I am also still annoyed at the tripod T-Rex.

jacksplatt11
30th October 2008, 09:48 PM
Hmmm yeah the Dinomode leaves a bit to be desired compared to what it couldv'e been, but the robot mode looks pretty spot on, hopefully it's Masterpiece Prime size or larger, if its Starscream size like some have been saying, I won't be too impressed..

The accessories are pretty meh, apart from the obvious inclusion of the sword, and now the crown

jaydisc
30th October 2008, 10:27 PM
Lookin' good.

Lord_Zed
30th October 2008, 10:42 PM
Finally a good Grimlock toy, my only issue is with the price, why are MP's creeping up in price? even Thundercracker costs more than Skywarp and there the same mould!!!!! :mad:

Nice touch with the crown, I hope the gun is in there to, other than that and the sword i can't think of anymore acsessories Grimlock would need.

1orion2many
30th October 2008, 10:45 PM
:)I like the intelligence booster as well as the sword and Crown, the tray doesn't worry me either. There is some articulation in the tail by the looks of it but not much.

Adzma
30th October 2008, 10:49 PM
Hmmm yeah the Dinomode leaves a bit to be desired compared to what it couldv'e been, but the robot mode looks pretty spot on, hopefully it's Masterpiece Prime size or larger, if its Starscream size like some have been saying, I won't be too impressed..
You can tell from one of the pictures that he's tiny. He's barely taller than G1 Prime. I'm not happy at all. :mad: There is no justification for a price that high, for a toy that small, and it is in no way, a masterpiece.

sifun
30th October 2008, 11:37 PM
i dont like the proportions. his legs are so weak looking. Grimlock is supposed to look powerful and brute

Lord_Zed
30th October 2008, 11:38 PM
You can tell from one of the pictures that he's tiny. He's barely taller than G1 Prime. I'm not happy at all. :mad: There is no justification for a price that high, for a toy that small, and it is in no way, a masterpiece.

Well in the picture he's not actualy standing up next to G1 Prime, his dino legs are raised, so I don't think he's the same size as Prime. And the detailing and Transformation appear to be inline with other Masterpiece toys to me, so I don't see why he's undeserving of the tag, though we'll see when his paintapps are completed.

I am with you on the price though, he does seem unescesarily exspensive.

Robzy
31st October 2008, 01:55 AM
I like his party hat!

Tober
31st October 2008, 02:01 AM
He's adorable!

yeah...

griffin
31st October 2008, 02:08 AM
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/194668-new-mp-grimlock-proto-images-look-_.html

Just wild speculation on my part, but that Marvel King Grimlock crown suggests Hasbro did have some involvement in this project, or Hidetsugu Yoshioka and Hirofumi Ichikawa* pushed for the inclusion of a US-continuity specific accessory.

*Hidetsugu Yoshioka (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hidetsugu_Yoshioka) appears to be a big fan of Derek Yaniger's G2 work and Hirofumi Ichikawa (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Hirofumi_Ichikawa) is well-known for his preference to the Western TF fiction.

From the Hasbro Design Decisions panel at BotCon 2006 -

-MP Starscream was Hasbro's idea they gave to Takara.
-If Hasbro does the MP Starscream it will have the original decoration. If you bought the Takara Starscream and if Hasbro makes one, you would have two different toys.
When asked which character they would like to see made as a MP, Hasbro would like to see a Grimlock.

I don't think there has ever been much doubt that Grimlock would have been Hasbro's idea, as it was never a big character in Japan, and TakaraTomy probably wanted all the cartoon trinkets to familiarise JP fans as to who it is and what he's done (in the cartoon).

Paulbot
31st October 2008, 09:07 AM
The crown makes this a win for me. :D

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2008, 05:12 PM
I thought someone said that was a tray with drinks/refreshments, not a crown. The crown wouldn't make sense to Japanese fans as Grimlock was only ever a "King" wearing a crown in the G1 Marvel comics.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/transformers/images/7/71/Biggrim_me_king.jpg

I would personally also love for this toy to come with a crown (comic Grimlock >>>>> cartoon Grimlock)... but I suspect that it probably is just a refreshment tray. :/

kurdt_the_goat
31st October 2008, 05:15 PM
The picture shows he comes with both... what are u smoking? :p

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/saxa_00/Nuovaimmagine.jpg

jaydisc
31st October 2008, 05:23 PM
but I suspect that it probably is just a refreshment tray. :/

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/mpgrimlock.jpg

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2008, 05:59 PM
Ooh! I hadn't seen that picture before! That's freakin' sweet! :D

kurdt_the_goat
31st October 2008, 06:14 PM
lol Goktimus, that image is what this whole thread started with! Are you sure you're a teacher? :)

GoktimusPrime
31st October 2008, 06:31 PM
So I had a benb-blonde moment! :p Grrrr!

Zippo
31st October 2008, 07:32 PM
Those pictures don't have me sold on him like pictures of the other MPs have..

heroic_decepticon
2nd November 2008, 12:40 AM
Scale matters very much to me. I'll seriously reconsider if he's not taller than MP-Prime and at least this scale:

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/38477/2116776770100811158S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb57.webshots.com/18296/2645621580100811158S425x425Q85.jpg

Adzma
2nd November 2008, 08:50 AM
You should check the new pics thread. They have a picture of him next to G1 Prime. The result is... less than encouraging. :rolleyes:

Zippo
2nd November 2008, 11:16 AM
You should check the new pics thread. They have a picture of him next to G1 Prime. The result is... less than encouraging. :rolleyes:

He is sitting though in that picture

roller
2nd November 2008, 12:24 PM
you think they woulda been arsed to put computron in that pic, y'know for hardcore fanboys

Pulse
2nd November 2008, 01:35 PM

Yeah I think you're right. While Grimmy's standing upright in the middle column pics, the fact that he's leaning forward in the Prime one allays my concerns a little...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=10793

SilverDragon
2nd November 2008, 07:41 PM

Does this mean that the toy will spout flames from its mouth?

Lint
2nd November 2008, 09:39 PM
I dig the sword. Looking for more excuses to like him though,only paint and articulation can be the saviours now in my opinion.

Tropisetron
2nd November 2008, 10:27 PM
I just realised that the picture with its tail says that "the tail could probably sway left and right"...

Cheeky...

STL
2nd November 2008, 11:26 PM
I like it. I can't see the reasons for complaints but first glance is promising!

Adzma
4th November 2008, 11:34 AM

Yeah I think you're right. While Grimmy's standing upright in the middle column pics, the fact that he's leaning forward in the Prime one allays my concerns a little...

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/attachment.php?do=fullview&attachmentid=10793
I did some closer inspection and it does look like he's sitting rather than standing. Some people have pointed out that the two images at the top may be in relative scale to each other, suggesting that he may actually be twice the size of G1 Prime which would make him roughly 30 cm, or in other words, MP Convoy's height. I'll be much happier if this is true, but until we get some official specs, it's all speculation.

kup
4th November 2008, 11:42 AM
I did some closer inspection and it does look like he's sitting rather than standing. Some people have pointed out that the two images at the top may be in relative scale to each other, suggesting that he may actually be twice the size of G1 Prime which would make him roughly 30 cm, or in other words, MP Convoy's height. I'll be much happier if this is true, but until we get some official specs, it's all speculation.

The tripod T-Rex mode by default is always sitting on its tail and one of the reasons of why I reckon this dino mode should have been updated.

Its hard to say what size it will be but judging by the engineering which seems to be very similar to that of G1 Grimlock, The T-Rex mode ('sitting') would be roughly the same size as the robot mode.

Lord_Zed
4th November 2008, 01:17 PM
The tripod T-Rex mode by default is always sitting on its tail and one of the reasons of why I reckon this dino mode should have been updated.

True that, the Godzilla style Trex does sit on it's tail, however given recent Grimlock redesigns I'd much prefer that to the crummy short tailed raptors. Both Classics and Animated Grimlock have stuby tails that make the dinosaur mode as anatomicly impossible as the tail sitting type. In order for a dinosaur to balance on two legs it would need a very long tail.

Generaly speaking Hasbro never know what to do with biped dino tails these days, almost every Dinosaur has a tail that becomes a lame weapon, so I for one am happy that they stuck to the old Godzilla Dinosaur and Tail transformation scheme, afterall this is how he appeared in the cartoon and comic.

heroic_decepticon
4th November 2008, 01:45 PM
True that, the Godzilla style Trex does sit on it's tail, however given recent Grimlock redesigns I'd much prefer that to the crummy short tailed raptors. Both Classics and Animated Grimlock have stuby tails that make the dinosaur mode as anatomicly impossible as the tail sitting type. In order for a dinosaur to balance on two legs it would need a very long tail.

Generaly speaking Hasbro never know what to do with biped dino tails these days, almost every Dinosaur has a tail that becomes a lame weapon, so I for one am happy that they stuck to the old Godzilla Dinosaur and Tail transformation scheme, afterall this is how he appeared in the cartoon and comic.

amen

kup
4th November 2008, 02:22 PM
Still doesn't help us with Grimlocks supposed short stance but high price point.

Adzma
4th November 2008, 03:24 PM
If he does turn out to be small, my guess is that TakTom will play the sympathy card. You know, plastic and metal prices are high etc. I doubt they'll try and pin the whole price hike on the electronic features.

kup
4th November 2008, 04:00 PM
If he does turn out to be small, my guess is that TakTom will play the sympathy card. You know, plastic and metal prices are high etc. I doubt they'll try and pin the whole price hike on the electronic features.

Hasbro already played that card :)

Adzma
4th November 2008, 04:06 PM
Hmm that doesn't surprise me. :p

Tober
4th November 2008, 04:57 PM
It is the December issue of Dengeki-Hobby that carries the info of Grimlock being about 20-22cm tall. I don't really worry much about scale as I mostly just display my MP figures. I can't see TT playing the expensive gimmiks card either, both Convoy and Megatron have light-up gimmiks, so that price tag better go into engineering costs...

Magazine scan here:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers...ember-pics.html (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/194252-dengeki-hobby-december-pics.html)

and translation here:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers...tml#post2453949 (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/194252-dengeki-hobby-december-pics-4.html#post2453949)

MP-8 Translation:
"Grimlock who has the unique distinction of being a Transformer built by Transformers has been confirmed! At present, he is in the manufacturing stage for mass retail. His powerful form, his unique mold, possible gimmicks: just by studying the design sketches to the right should be enough to excite you if you are a TF fan... The size of the Robot mode is approximately the same as MP-3 Starscream, and he seems to have enough gimmicks to make a 'mania' cry. Next issue, we may even be able to show a prototype..."

gamblor916
4th November 2008, 05:58 PM
Can someone mirror the pics, can't see it without logging in.

It is the December issue of Dengeki-Hobby that carries the info of Grimlock being about 20-22cm tall. I don't really worry much about scale as I mostly just display my MP figures. I can't see TT playing the expensive gimmiks card either, both Convoy and Megatron have light-up gimmiks, so that price tag better go into engineering costs...

Magazine scan here:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers...ember-pics.html (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/194252-dengeki-hobby-december-pics.html)

and translation here:
http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers...tml#post2453949 (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/194252-dengeki-hobby-december-pics-4.html#post2453949)

kup
4th November 2008, 06:37 PM

Magazine scan here:

and translation here:

The high emphasis on gimmicks makes it seem as if Hasbro took over TakTom.

Tober
4th November 2008, 08:55 PM
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/DSC04057.jpg

Other product pics:
Silver Convoy Alternity A-01 (http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/?action=view&current=Alt_silver.jpg)
Red Convoy Alternity A-01 (http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/?action=view&current=DSC04056.jpg)
Mickey 1 (http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/?action=view&current=Mickey_detail.jpg) 2 (http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/?action=view&current=DSC04061.jpg) 3 (http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/?action=view&current=mickey_transform.jpg)
EXILE iPod Convoy (http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/?action=view&current=exile.jpg)
Henkei Cheetor and Hound/Ravage (http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/AUST_Tober/?action=view&current=hound.jpg)

Adzma
4th November 2008, 09:31 PM
I dunno, if Grimmers does turn out to be Screamer's height it just seems like a waste to me. I mean, first there is the price, which we've all heard enough about, but considering that Classics are a similar height (albeit a bit smaller) but a fraction of the price it makes little sense, but TakTom seemed to acknowledge their mistake concerning Starscream's height (depending on your preference, some view it as a better size which is ok) when MP-5 was released back in scale with Prime. That to me says "We're sorry to those who were disappointed with the sudden change in scale, here's our compensation." Despite my whining, I'll probably still get him even if he is small, but only if our dollar returns from the depths of darkness, there's no way I'm paying through the nose for Grimmy if he isn't Prime's height.

gamblor916
4th November 2008, 09:42 PM
I think that the "chunkiness" (is that a word?) of Grimlock might make up for the lack of height. The detailing is nice and the overall proportions is good in both modes.

canofwhoopass_87
4th November 2008, 10:00 PM
Has it been certified that MP Grimlock is only a little bit bigger than the original g1? Not sure if people just exploded over night bc of that one pic of him standing beside g1 prime. It's still in the prototype/design phase isn't it?

I read somewhere that he's supposed to be the biggest MP...but if he's a head taller than g1 prime then I honestly don't know if this thing is friggin worth the $110US+ pricetag.

I want a big grimlock! Was planning on placing him on one corner of my top shelf with mp magnus on the other...but with a little dude on one side the aesthetics wouldn't be too appealing.

Also, the cheapest pre order of grimmy I've seen so far is the one available at robotkingdom.com for $110US I believe. So if you're paying the $145US at BBTS, cancel it!

hanprimus
11th November 2008, 04:38 PM
MP-08 spec
Features:
Action swinging tail
Turning head (Dinomode)
LED light in wrist for sword
Sword & gun storage in dinomode
LED eyes (both modes)
Posing arms (dinomode)

Accessories: Gun, Sword, Tray, Electroencephalogram (Brainwavetransmitter), Crown, Apron with butterfly & name of episode printedon it.

1orion2many
11th November 2008, 05:05 PM
MP-08 spec
Features:
Action swinging tail
Turning head (Dinomode)
LED eyes (both modes)
Posing arms (dinomode)

Accessories: Gun, Sword, Tray, Electroencephalogram (Brainwavetransmitter), Crown, Apron with butterfly & name of episode printedon it.

:eek:Butterfly:eek:

dirge
11th November 2008, 07:56 PM
MP-08 spec
Features:
Action swinging tail
Turning head (Dinomode)

etc etc...

But will it separate colours, whites and darks? :D

Adzma
11th November 2008, 08:03 PM
MP-08 spec
Features:
Action swinging tail
Turning head (Dinomode)
LED eyes (both modes)
Posing arms (dinomode)

:eek: BUT HOW TALL IS IT?! :eek: *Waves arms in a fashion similar to Olive from Popeye. Chews fingernails to the point where only bloody stumps remain on the hands* I'm done.

Lord_Zed
11th November 2008, 08:13 PM
I like the big pics of Grimlock, he may not end up being tall, but he is chunky and detailed. It doesn't bother me if he's not tall, just makes him easier to store. In that regard I still consider MP 05 more exspenisve than Grimlock, considering all the added costs of securing him in some safe lodgings.:D

GoktimusPrime
11th November 2008, 09:17 PM
Features:
Action swinging tail
Turning head (Dinomode)
LED eyes (both modes)
Posing arms (dinomode)
And there lies the reason why it's carrying a heftier than expected price tag. :p

I agree that the toy will still look good despite lack of height if it's still bulky and detailed. BT Grimlock looks big and imposing because they bulked out the robot mode, but height-wise he's the same as other Binaltechs. Nightscream is a really tall toy but it doesn't really look 'big' because he's a lanky annorexic son of a female dog. I'd rather take short and chunky over tall and lanky. Not too short though... not like freakin' Pretender Grimlock. d:
http://home.clara.net/hexdidnt/collect/transform/binaltech/grimlock.jpghttp://www.cliffbee.com/reviews/images/nightscream.gif

"Size matters not. Judge me by my size, do you?" - Yoda (The Empire Strikes Back)

Adzma
11th November 2008, 09:59 PM
And there lies the reason why it's carrying a heftier than expected price tag. :p
I don't believe TakTom can use that as an excuse though. Prime, Magnus and Megatron all have LED features, and they all costed the same amount (minus MP-4). Although it is granted they didn't have two at a time, but an extra LED feature is hardly an excuse to raise it by $40 USD (going by RK anyway).

GoktimusPrime
12th November 2008, 08:28 PM
I don't believe TakTom can use that as an excuse though.
Works for Hasbro. :p

Adzma
12th November 2008, 08:41 PM
Hahaha good point. ;) Well strictly speaking, I don't think they should.

GoktimusPrime
12th November 2008, 09:02 PM
I whole-heartedly agree. It sucks that your typical Leader Class Transformer is sooooo not worth paying the standard RRP ($90-100) but they're marked up so high because of their electronic bells and whistles. :/ Give me a good Transformer with no electronics over that any time.

Lord_Zed
12th November 2008, 09:53 PM
I whole-heartedly agree. It sucks that your typical Leader Class Transformer is sooooo not worth paying the standard RRP ($90-100) but they're marked up so high because of their electronic bells and whistles. :/ Give me a good Transformer with no electronics over that any time.

That's why I miss Beast Wars, where gimmicks added to the toy rather than were the toy. That said the gimmicks in previous MP's were mostly well implemented so hopefully Grimlock will be the same. The increase in price sux though.

kurdt_the_goat
12th November 2008, 11:02 PM
I don't think the price hike is as bad as it's being made out to be.
Even though the RRP is ¥13,650, the street price seems to be fair bit lower.
Amiami (http://www.amiami.com/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/108441) for instance have it for only ¥10,633. To compare, they have MP7 for ¥8,179 and MP2 for ¥8,015 - the difference is not as pronounced as it looks on BBTS for example. They have MP08 for $144, and MP7/MP2 for $104.

A few retailers on Rakuten (http://esearch.rakuten.co.jp/rms/sd/esearch/vc?sv=2&c=2836&sitem=%A5%C8%A5%E9%A5%F3%A5%B9%A5%D5%A5%A9%A1%BC%A 5%DE%A1%BC+%A5%DE%A5%B9%A5%BF%A1%BC%A5%D4%A1%BC%A5 %B9+MP8) have it as low as ¥9,550.

GoktimusPrime
13th November 2008, 11:16 AM
The crappy exchange = pain though. :/

Adzma
13th November 2008, 04:22 PM
Yeah, and it looks like it's going to drop into 50 now. :mad:

kup
22nd November 2008, 01:06 AM
MP Grimlock size comparison:

http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/generation-1-1/new-mp-08-masterpiece-grimlock-images-alternity-megatron-concept-art-166250/

Damn, he is HUGE!

He has started to become more appealing but I am still annoyed at the outdated T-Rex mode :p

Pulse
22nd November 2008, 01:21 AM
& the wait for colour pics continues... :rolleyes:

kup
22nd November 2008, 01:23 AM
& the wait for colour pics continues... :rolleyes:

For me killing the rumor that he was going to be a midget is a big deal, perhaps greater than the colors since we already know what to expect on that since they can't divert from G1 and they are not Hasbro with an obsession with inappropriate neon colors.

Lord_Zed
22nd November 2008, 02:35 AM
Once again rumours based on tiny pictures are incorrect.

The exact size of the toy was never a real issue for me, but at least that better justifies the price tag.

I'm still as impressed as I was at the start of this thread, and glad to see Grimlock getting an MP version, far as I'm concerned there's not a worthier Bot, cept Prime ofcourse. ;)

Tober
22nd November 2008, 03:18 AM
I'm not a huge Grimlock fan but I am a MP fan so I'm glad to see that he's still looking good.

Alternity Megs looks promising too. :D

GoktimusPrime
22nd November 2008, 07:37 AM
I'm having second thoughts about getting this toy, not because I don't necessarily want it but because all these Japanese TFs are driving me broke due to the lousy exchange rate atm. :( Unless the AUD strengthens up soon I think I'm gonna skip this toy and hope that Hasbro will release this toy locally (I suspect that the Hasbro version won't be as nice, but it should be cheaper - not losing out on the exchange alone would help heaps).

*sigh* This is the same reason why I skipped a lot of Car Robot and ended up mostly getting RiD (the AUD was even worse back in 2000).

dirge
22nd November 2008, 08:50 AM
Thankfully, I have zero interest in this one.

...which means if you do get Grimlock, Gok, you can't split postage with me.

Adzma
22nd November 2008, 09:43 AM
:eek:...:eek:...:D I am now fullfilled as a TF collector. If one of you were to kill me now the only regret I would have is that you killed me before I could pick up this Masterpiece. :o

primatives
22nd November 2008, 09:54 AM
Do we know if is going to contain any diecast metal?

kurdt_the_goat
22nd November 2008, 12:50 PM
Once again rumours based on tiny pictures are incorrect.

I don't think the rumours were necessarily incorrect - in the new photos he looks 2x G1 grimlock (plus a bit more maybe).
That's about 24cm, which is about the same size of the MP seekers, like what was reported. Anyway, looking good to me :)

k.wong23
22nd November 2008, 01:30 PM
Yes now to gather money from work for a pre-order :)

blackie
22nd November 2008, 01:31 PM
Yes now to gather money from work for a pre-order :)

gogogogogo preorder, so whos going to run the melb one?

Adzma
22nd November 2008, 06:07 PM
How tall was G1 Grimlock's toy in Dino mode? I was doing some size comparisons using my Classics Primes and to support what kurdt said he's actually quite small in comparison to MP Prime and Megs. I new I was getting excited over nothing. :( I don't see how they can charge us that much when he's no bigger than the MP seekers, unless he's made of 99% die cast.

GoktimusPrime
22nd November 2008, 08:13 PM
How tall was G1 Grimlock's toy in Dino mode?
12cm, although the entire length of the dino mode from head to tail is 18cm

Lord_Zed
22nd November 2008, 09:04 PM
I'm having second thoughts about getting this toy, not because I don't necessarily want it but because all these Japanese TFs are driving me broke due to the lousy exchange rate atm. :( Unless the AUD strengthens up soon I think I'm gonna skip this toy and hope that Hasbro will release this toy locally (I suspect that the Hasbro version won't be as nice, but it should be cheaper - not losing out on the exchange alone would help heaps).

Yeah tell me about it! I've decided to skip most of the Japanese TF's I've been after lately. This one however I will probably make an exception for.

*sigh* This is the same reason why I skipped a lot of Car Robot and ended up mostly getting RiD (the AUD was even worse back in 2000)

Actualy for a day or two, last month the Dollar dopped to the lowest it's been against the Yen since the end of World War 2. I think it's picked up a little since then but ouch!

gamblor916
22nd November 2008, 09:06 PM

*sigh* This is the same reason why I skipped a lot of Car Robot and ended up mostly getting RiD (the AUD was even worse back in 2000).

I would bet anything this will get a local release. Given the MP Starscream and Convoy appearances I have no doubt MP Grimlock will show up in local toy stores. It'll probably have some kind of American style clear plastic packaging like MP Starscream.
$150 local for this toy would be pushing it though.

canofwhoopass_87
22nd November 2008, 10:34 PM
How tall was G1 Grimlock's toy in Dino mode? I was doing some size comparisons using my Classics Primes and to support what kurdt said he's actually quite small in comparison to MP Prime and Megs. I new I was getting excited over nothing. :( I don't see how they can charge us that much when he's no bigger than the MP seekers, unless he's made of 99% die cast.

It's jusy too early to be making assumptions based on pictures. A week after the initial announcement of the figure I read that it was supposed to be the largest MP so far, then the pic with the g1 prime emerged and now this photo comparing it to the G1 grimlock. I say it's best to sit back and wait for an official word before making crazy assumptions and making them public - because it could very well change circumstances for a handful of people who are iffy about pre ordering...and we're talking about $200AU+ here.

STL
25th November 2008, 03:35 PM
It's jusy too early to be making assumptions based on pictures. A week after the initial announcement of the figure I read that it was supposed to be the largest MP so far, then the pic with the g1 prime emerged and now this photo comparing it to the G1 grimlock. I say it's best to sit back and wait for an official word before making crazy assumptions and making them public - because it could very well change circumstances for a handful of people who are iffy about pre ordering...and we're talking about $200AU+ here.

^ What he said. ;)

kurdt_the_goat
26th November 2008, 12:47 AM
The latest scans on TFW (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/197209-scans-decembers-figure-king-magazine-mp-8-alternity-henkei-disney-label.html) have some interesting notes - japanese translated by my lovely wife :)

Some of it's old, so here's the new stuff:

Swing the tail left/right and head swings as well (that'll be some clever engineering considering the head's movement in transformation)
Press button on side of face to open and close mouth
Legs in dino mode have suspension!

They say he's got the most gimmicks of all MP series, looks like another factor in the higher price.

Adzma
26th November 2008, 08:49 AM
The latest scans on TFW (http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/197209-scans-decembers-figure-king-magazine-mp-8-alternity-henkei-disney-label.html) have some interesting notes - japanese translated by my lovely wife :)

Some of it's old, so here's the new stuff:

Swing the tail left/right and head swings as well (that'll be some clever engineering considering the head's movement in transformation)
Press button on side of face to open and close mouth
Legs in dino mode have suspension!

They say he's got the most gimmicks of all MP series, looks like another factor in the higher price.
Thought I'd post them here for those who aren't registered at TFW2005. It's good that there's finally a decent size comparison pic. Still small for my tastes but I've accepted that it isn't going to change.

kup
26th November 2008, 10:50 AM
He is certainly living up to his G1 origins with the amount of mass shifting that this toy is doing! It seems that this toy changes size in ever pic!

Golden Phoenix
26th November 2008, 11:01 AM
He is certainly living up to his G1 origins with the amount of mass shifting that this toy is doing! It seems that this toy changes size in ever pic!

At least we have a solid size comparison shot with Henkei Convoy

Pulse
26th November 2008, 01:29 PM

Can you imagine the whining & complaining if his Dino-mode didn't have any gimmicks? :D I just hope he's got plenty of die-cast so that he feels like a true MP :) (something they really skimped on with the Seekers & Megs... :rolleyes:)

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2008, 02:03 PM
Considering that only 1/3* of the Masterpiece moulds have die-cast I'd say that containing die-cast isn't an established standard for that line. :/

----------
*Convoy/Magnus mould vs. Sky-Raiders & Megatron moulds.

kup
26th November 2008, 03:28 PM
Considering that only 1/3* of the Masterpiece moulds have die-cast I'd say that containing die-cast isn't an established standard for that line. :/

----------
*Convoy/Magnus mould vs. Sky-Raiders & Megatron moulds.

Agreed. There may be some small diecast parts like Megatron's feet but most of the figure will likely be plastic. This is not necessarily a bad thing if the plastic quality and paint job are good.

heroic_decepticon
26th November 2008, 06:56 PM
there should be some metal at least and leave the all plastic version for Hasbro to release.

GoktimusPrime
26th November 2008, 08:39 PM
You're thinking about Binaltech. :p Both Takara and Hasbro's MP Starscreams were entirely plastic (and Hasbro's was of better quality plastic too).

Adzma
26th November 2008, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure they'll disapoint in all new ways. :p

kup
26th November 2008, 10:25 PM
You're thinking about Binaltech. :p Both Takara and Hasbro's MP Starscreams were entirely plastic (and Hasbro's was of better quality plastic too).

Yeah, Hasbro's MP Starscream is proof that they are indeed capable of producing an excellent toy when they want to. However MP Skywarp seems of a better plastic and seems a bit better but still in the same league as Hasbro's.

jacksplatt11
27th November 2008, 11:09 PM
From Seibertron:
http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/height-comparison-photos-mp-grimlock/14578/

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x4/jacksplatt11/99_51115_9f96f8f7fc73837.jpg

STL
28th November 2008, 12:30 AM
I like him. But I think the crown accentuates his stubbiness a lot.

GoktimusPrime
28th November 2008, 09:01 AM
The crown is actually the one part of the toy that appeals to me the most! It's so G1 accurate. :) With the current state of the AUD v. JPY I doubt I'll get it though... I really hope Hasbro will release this toy. Unlike MP Convoy there's no chrome or smoke stacks for them to screw up, and as MP Starscream has proven, Hasbro is capable of releasing a good Masterpiece toy.

kup
28th November 2008, 09:49 AM
The crown is actually the one part of the toy that appeals to me the most! It's so G1 accurate. :) With the current state of the AUD v. JPY I doubt I'll get it though... I really hope Hasbro will release this toy. Unlike MP Convoy there's no chrome or smoke stacks for them to screw up, and as MP Starscream has proven, Hasbro is capable of releasing a good Masterpiece toy.

I think Hasbro releasing this toy is pretty much inevitable. The risk is when it comes to QC, plastic quality and paint applications. With some luck it will be like MP Starscream or there is also the chance that the paint job will be great but ruined by that awful battle damage.

TakTom is not without risks either, their paint finishes and plastic quality are still better than Hasbro's but their QC has dived recently, particularly with Henkei.

Pulse
28th November 2008, 10:53 AM
I think Hasbro releasing this toy is pretty much inevitable.

I hope so :). But like Screamer, what's the odds it'll only be in the stores for one week before it's never seen at retail ever again?

GoktimusPrime
28th November 2008, 11:11 AM
I saw Starscream in stores for longer than that. I remember seeing it at TRU and passing up on it, then one week later I changed my mind and went back to get it. There were still plenty left when I got it. A few weeks later they were gone. Mind you, the toy was released during Xmas shopping period, so that's little surprise.

kup
28th November 2008, 11:26 AM
I saw Starscream in stores for longer than that. I remember seeing it at TRU and passing up on it, then one week later I changed my mind and went back to get it. There were still plenty left when I got it. A few weeks later they were gone. Mind you, the toy was released during Xmas shopping period, so that's little surprise.

Miranda had them all sold out within the first week and they had at least a dozen as they had them piled up on the floor.

I was also reluctant due to the battle damage but after a couple of days I noticed half the Starscreams gone so I simply picked the least 'damaged' of the remaining lot and took it home.

Adzma
28th November 2008, 04:10 PM
You never know. We still need to see pictures of this bad boy in his clothes.

The Scream Man
29th November 2008, 01:21 PM
Still havent talked myself into getting one of the Materpiece Starscream molds.....

i DO like Grimlock though. Very cool looking mech, though most of the extras dont interest me. Forgive me if this is known, but can his sword be stored in Dino mode? Coz that would be awesome....