PDA

View Full Version : GEN-TR Trypticon is in Australia

griffin
7th June 2017, 03:10 PM
For all those people panicking about if and when we will get the glorious Trypticon toy here in Australia, well, word from a reliable source is that Trypticon is in the country, and should be making its way to a certain retailer (first) any day now.

UPDATE - JUNE 8th - the toy has started arriving at BIGW stores, and some may start putting them on shelves as soon as they get them, but most should be sitting on them until the June toy sale in two weeks time.
The full price of this figure is $298, which as noted below, follows the trend of $50 increases each year for Titan toys at BigW.
If it is part of their June toy sale, it may be discounted (I would hope it is discounted), but be prepared if it isn't, as the last three Titan sized toys weren't.

And now a warning... each new Titan in Australia has been significantly more expensive than the last, despite the US retail price remaining pretty much unchanged for all four of them. Fingers are crossed that we get a good deal for Trypticon, but be prepared for some wallet pain if we didn't.

2013 - Metroplex - US$125 (in America) - AU$150 (cheapest in Australia... cheaper than in America) (BigW June sale - AU$100... much cheaper than in America)

2015 - Devastator - US$150 (in America) - AU$200 (cheapest in Australia... again, cheaper than in America) (no discount in BigW June sale)

2016 - Fortress Maximus - US$150 (in America) - AU$250 (cheapest in Australia... not cheaper than in America) (no discount in BigW June sale)

2017 - Trypticon - US$150 (in America... no price increase again) - AU$300 (??? will it be in the BigW June sale on sale ???)

Photo proof from one of the members who posted them up in a followup posting...

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2017/060801.jpg
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/news/2017/060802.jpg

ChlorHex
7th June 2017, 03:25 PM
Thanks Griffin.
Looking forward to this...
Price will be an important factor as I'd ordered one from PC previously.... so retail purchase will largely depend on how much they're asking.
No idea where I can display this though.
Wife will not be impressed.

ampoldj
7th June 2017, 07:19 PM
I just went to Big W today and got a tip their big toy sale will be at the end of the month...hope Trypti will be there :rolleyes:

shockNwave
7th June 2017, 08:16 PM
I guess if big business can rip us off at the petrol bowser it can try it's hand at ripping us off on other goods and services.:mad:

Omega Metro
7th June 2017, 11:58 PM
$298
https://www.bigw.com.au/product/transformers-titans-return-trypticon/p/WCC100000000459429/

DarkHyren
8th June 2017, 12:03 AM
$298
https://www.bigw.com.au/product/transformers-titans-return-trypticon/p/WCC100000000459429/Ouch, so now BigW are charging scalper prices, with the exchange rate this would be AU$200 so I'd like to know how they justify an extra $100 on top of that.
What, they think because a movie is coming out that they can charge more or something?
I mean I already have one on order but that particular retailer is never going to deliver so I knew I'd probably have to buy this twice just to get it once, but that price makes it closer to me buying it three times just to get it once.
Thanks but no thanks BigW

Megatran
8th June 2017, 12:10 AM
Looks like I'll be getting a box crush, dirty finger print, spider security dint, customer returned one... at clearance time.

fatbot
8th June 2017, 12:11 AM
Ouch, so now BigW are charging scalper prices, with the exchange rate this would be AU$200 so I'd like to know how they justify an extra $100 on top of that.
What, they think because a movie is coming out that they can charge more or something?
I mean I already have one on order but that particular retailer is never going to deliver so I knew I'd probably have to buy this twice just to get it once, but that price makes it closer to me buying it three times just to get it once.

Don't forget the toy sale mate, they may drop the price by a fair whack for it. Just wait for the catalog to come out before making final judgement.

Omega Metro
8th June 2017, 12:16 AM
I will still be laybying mine at that price. BigW have had a 20% off sale where you can adjust your toysale layby. Did it last year and the year before with Fort Max and Lego.

DarkHyren
8th June 2017, 12:17 AM
Aye true true, might just be a placeholder price so they can claim a lower price is a "sale" price then never put it back up, just not impressed by first impressions, but you're right they could do that

hYpNoS
8th June 2017, 01:20 AM
Oh good I can finally have my old hasbro metroplex fight- WAIT HE COST 3X HIGHER THAN METROPLEX BACK IN THE DAY!?

http://tfwiki.net/mediawiki/images2/thumb/9/96/Afterdeath-gameoverman.jpg/300px-Afterdeath-gameoverman.jpg

Dimi194
8th June 2017, 04:18 AM
That price!!!! :(:(

KaRNiV8L PRiME
8th June 2017, 06:12 AM
Ouch, so now BigW are charging scalper prices, with the exchange rate this would be AU$200 so I'd like to know how they justify an extra $100 on top of that.

Pretty big call without knowing what Big W's cost price is and what Hasbro Charges them plus freight.

Sinnertwin
8th June 2017, 07:15 AM
Oh good I can finally have my old hasbro metroplex fight- WAIT HE COST 3X HIGHER THAN METROPLEX BACK IN THE DAY!?

4 years and a much better exchange rate at the time will do that to ya.

Best not to compare prices from so long ago ;)

BigTransformerTrev
8th June 2017, 08:33 AM
$298
https://www.bigw.com.au/product/transformers-titans-return-trypticon/p/WCC100000000459429/

I was going to cancel my TT preorder of him and try and save money by picking up the Hasbro version locally.

Glad I didn't now. I'm still waiting to see some comparisons of how the two versions will fare against each other.

KaRNiV8L PRiME
8th June 2017, 12:37 PM
Just in

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBxAdq9UAAAjqRW.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DBxAazsUIAAjy-9.jpg

graza78
8th June 2017, 12:43 PM
Just in

Oooh nice. So when is it being put on the shelf?

KaRNiV8L PRiME
8th June 2017, 12:43 PM
Oooh nice. So when is it being put on the shelf?

Not for a couple of weeks I would imagine

Sinnertwin
8th June 2017, 12:44 PM
Is that a world first?

graza78
8th June 2017, 12:45 PM
Not for a couple of weeks I would imagine

Can't wait!

Btw is that you in the pics?

KaRNiV8L PRiME
8th June 2017, 12:50 PM
Can't wait!

Btw is that you in the pics?

No comment ;P

DarkHyren
8th June 2017, 12:52 PM
Pretty big call without knowing what Big W's cost price is and what Hasbro Charges them plus freight.Well if you hadnt noticed I said first impressions on the price afterwards and that maybe it would be lowered to something more reasonable, but regardless of that I think we both know that these can be sold at $100-150 (probably lower) and you'd break even, but I get it you have to toe the company line if you work for them. Just don't try and make us think that they are selling them at cost (or a loss) at $300, there's a sizable profit in there which in my personal opinion is excessive. Good day

KaRNiV8L PRiME
8th June 2017, 01:44 PM
Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, yours is ill-informed if you think retailers in Australia make sizeable profits end to end on any non-own branded products. Unless you are privy to Gross Profit margins within the Australian retail sector, your argument has no weight. Large box retailers do not "jack up prices" just because a movie is coming out unlike some smaller independent stores or family businesses that need to survive. It's not about towing the company line, it's retail in our country in general and will get worse when Amazon lands. Most of my purchases are imported for this very reason. I agree $300 is a large amount of money and I personally am importing Tryp.

This thread was to let people know that we are one of the first in the world to receive a new Transformer, not bash the Retailer that has made that happen for us the last 4 years.

Well if you hadnt noticed I said first impressions on the price afterwards and that maybe it would be lowered to something more reasonable, but regardless of that I think we both know that these can be sold at $100-150 (probably lower) and you'd break even, but I get it you have to toe the company line if you work for them. Just don't try and make us think that they are selling them at cost (or a loss) at $300, there's a sizable profit in there which in my personal opinion is excessive. Good day

ChlorHex
8th June 2017, 02:13 PM
Thanks but no thanks Big W...
I'm importing mine... which will be cheaper delivered to my doorstep.
I'd always love to support local but not in this instance thanks.

graza78
8th June 2017, 03:16 PM
No comment ;P

Nice! My Sis works at Big W in Livingston, hoping she can put one aside for me.

bowspearer
8th June 2017, 07:06 PM
This thread was to let people know that we are one of the first in the world to receive a new Transformer, not bash the Retailer that has made that happen for us the last 4 years.

While I agree that we can't necessarily jump to conclusions about where Australian consumers are being ripped off, there is equally no question that we are being ripped off.

I'm not going to make judgement calls as to whether it's happening at the distributor level or retail level, but there is no way that a 100% markup on US prices happens on a figure at that price without someone gouging the price somewhere along the chain.

griffin
8th June 2017, 07:09 PM
NOTE (everyone) - the regular price is $298... and if it is in the mid-year toy sale, it could be discounted. (no guarantees though)

Yes, that price is more than expected, especially since the US retail price is US$150 (about AU$205)... and their retail price for Titan class has mostly remained the same since the first one (Metroplex in 2013), while ours has now doubled from AU$150 for that same sized toy.

But BigW are price leaders when it comes to toys, usually matching or undercutting other major retailers in Australia on current items (as seen with their other Transformers toy prices (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=23567)), so if this was the best price they could offer us, it is because of the wholesale price that Hasbro (in America) has required it sell for in Australia.

Which is a shame, as the one-off higher priced items are usually cheaper here than the usual "double US pricing" we get on regular, smaller items.

So... don't blame BigW for the price, unless it shows up for significantly less at other retailers (which they would end up matching)... and maybe wait about a week, until we know if it is on sale in the June toy catalogue.

reillyd
8th June 2017, 07:25 PM
Given the popularity of the Titan Class toys, and that we seem to spend days and weeks hunting around for them, as a retailer you'd be crazy to sell it for $150-$200 when you know they are going to sell out at $300

I resent paying double US pricing too, but the alternative is paying for US shipping on this big bad boy, so we're screwed either way unless Amazon deep discounts

Sinnertwin
8th June 2017, 07:52 PM
Or we could wait a while and hope that Mighty Ape picks them up :p

Megatran
8th June 2017, 10:27 PM
Thanks for sharing KaRNiV8L PRiME.

griffin
8th June 2017, 10:28 PM
BigW at Garden City tonight... with the first of their Toy Sale pallets... including 8 Trypticons. (and a LOT of boxes of Movie Tiny Changers - wave 1)

The staffer looked it up and said that Trypticon is on their "no sell list", which means they aren't allowed to put it out before the toysale starts, but with human error and the hundreds of different toys to keep track of, some stores will put it out when they get it... and since it scans up on their price scanner (we scanned one), the registers will let you buy it because it will scan up.

http://www.toycollectors.com.au/2017bw18.jpg
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/2017bw19.jpg
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/2017bw20.jpg
http://www.toycollectors.com.au/2017bw21.jpg

GoktimusPrime
8th June 2017, 10:55 PM
Okay, Big W's price is pretty expensive. But I'd rather pay that and just GET the damn toy over paying say $160 from The-Dealer-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named with nothing to show. :o

...which I already have... *sigh*

Starscream77
8th June 2017, 10:57 PM
Thanks for info KP!

davieanix
9th June 2017, 05:14 PM
The website has it available to add to your cart now.

Bumbleb33
9th June 2017, 05:17 PM
Okay, Big W's price is pretty expensive. But I'd rather pay that and just GET the damn toy over paying say $160 from The-Dealer-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named with nothing to show. :o

Knoath!

Sinnertwin
9th June 2017, 05:21 PM
I'd just put it on lay by and then get them to comp the sale price. Saves you waiting & you get it at sale price.
*whistles off*

Batfan007
9th June 2017, 06:55 PM
any info on when the toy sale is? Nothing online so far on search results for 2017?

Sinnertwin
9th June 2017, 07:19 PM
22/06. Apparently someone's brother works for BIG W on FB and posted the date

Major_K
10th June 2017, 09:42 AM
with him being for sale on the website, I've just picked him up in store.

MV75
10th June 2017, 09:54 AM
After seeing stuff like this:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/titans-returns-fort-max-40-ollies.1110930/

Nope. Got to wonder what these really cost to make and can really sell for.

22/06. Apparently someone's brother works for BIG W on FB and posted the date

Super secret squirrel power! lol. We just asked in store 2 weeks ago, 22nd june they just told us.

Batfan007
10th June 2017, 10:46 AM

Just get a chargeback!

and now the painful wait for Trippers Be Con to appear and rampage throughout Australian cities. I for one welcome this mass destruction and salute our new overlord.

Dimi194
10th June 2017, 11:09 AM
Not defending this pricing per se, but the retail markup is usually 100-200%, aka if Big W charges $300 for it, they paid Hasbro $100-150.

However obviously heaps of that goes into store costs (wages, electricity, shelf space, security, distribution) etc, so while the retail markup is high, there are a lot of costs to running a massive system of stores like Big W.

So looks to me like Hasbro AU/USA is charging a lot more than it used to :(

Major_K
10th June 2017, 11:26 AM
If you hate stickers, he's not for you. 158.

davieanix
10th June 2017, 07:40 PM
I can't remember, did Devastator or Fort Max have sale prices, or were they just standard price for the toy sale?

I think Victorion was like $20 cheaper but that's a guess

davieanix
10th June 2017, 07:53 PM
Never mind, just researched it myself and the answer is no. (Results from Otca too!)

Wondering if Trypticon will be the same.

graza78
10th June 2017, 08:35 PM
Was hoping one of the WA stores would have had it on the shelves like in the eastern states...

reillyd
10th June 2017, 09:00 PM
Just get a chargeback!

and now the painful wait for Trippers Be Con to appear and rampage throughout Australian cities. I for one welcome this mass destruction and salute our new overlord.

Could we maybe just once not derail a thread into a complaint/conspiracy rant about a particular retailer.

This is why we can't have nice things!

GoktimusPrime
10th June 2017, 09:20 PM
So if $298 is the regular price, what will the sale price be?

Sinnertwin
10th June 2017, 10:01 PM
So if $298 is the regular price, what will the sale price be?

My guess, 20'ish % off, about $228-$248?Better if it was $198

davieanix
10th June 2017, 10:14 PM
I'm thinking if Devs and Fort Max didn't have sale prices then perhaps it's unlikely Trypticon will.

I hope we find out soon because I'm pretty sure I'll impulse buy it as soon as I see it, and if there isn't a sale price then I won't feel bad haha

Jellico
11th June 2017, 09:11 AM
There is a local company offering $195 so Big W has to be at $200 to be an impulse buy.

Tetsuwan Convoy
11th June 2017, 12:04 PM
I hope we find out soon because I'm pretty sure I'll impulse buy it as soon as I see it, and if there isn't a sale price then I won't feel bad haha
Convince yourself he's normal price is $500 and you can buy at 300 and be happy!

If you hate stickers, he's not for you. 158.
!!!!!
Wow. Maybe Australians are being charged a buck for each sticker and Tryppy is only 150 odd bucks.

Them stickers better stick good!!

DELTAprime
11th June 2017, 04:02 PM
If we don't see any reduction in price on Trypticon at Toy Sale I'm wondering if it will actually be any cheaper getting Trypticon from HLJ. At the current exchange rate he is $240 from HLJ, without bank fees and shipping. BBTS might be a better option price wise though.

MrTrick
11th June 2017, 04:21 PM
should everyone on OTCA make a collective pact to not buy it from Big W and let it shelf warm??
Hopefully they knock the price down to a reasonable amount soon after :)

hYpNoS
11th June 2017, 06:08 PM
should everyone on OTCA make a collective pact to not buy it from Big W and let it shelf warm??
Hopefully they knock the price down to a reasonable amount soon after :)

Didn't we all say this last time and they ended up clearing out?

Because there is more than one community and I bet half of people here aren't even reading the thread just looking at the pictures and anything with the price involved XD

And yeah as mentioned a local company (the little toy company to be exact) has it for $195, that's nearly the price I could of gotten fort max when big w was having that secondary toy sale after the main one (as in to clear all the special buys).

We have options people, but DO NOT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD think $300 is ok, it may not be 4 years ago but that's absurd considering how tiny he is to fort max/metroplex

Major_K
12th June 2017, 05:22 AM
considering how tiny he is to fort max/metroplex

Why does everyone keep calling him tiny? He comes up to Fort Max's chin/top of shoulder. He's also pretty long.

I don't think he's worth $298 but he's not a small toy.

reillyd
12th June 2017, 05:53 PM
There is a local company offering $195 so Big W has to be at $200 to be an impulse buy.

For those who don't know which company Jellico is referring to, it is The Little Toy Company.

ESTIMATED ARRIVAL IS AUGUST/SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2017

So be prepared for a long wait. Given that this thread is about Trypticon actually being in stock, and many of us are going to run out and grab the first one we see, this deal might not be for you.

GoktimusPrime
12th June 2017, 06:38 PM
I'm waiting to see what Big W's sale price will be, because although TLTC's price is definitely cheaper, I would still have to pay for postage from Melbourne to Sydney. If Big W's sale price for Trypti works out to be around the $250 then I'd be willing to get it, but if it's going to be closer to the $300 mark then I'll go w/ TLTC.

hYpNoS
12th June 2017, 07:06 PM
Why does everyone keep calling him tiny? He comes up to Fort Max's chin/top of shoulder. He's also pretty long.

He's a fitting titan to fight devastator or the cw combiners, but to metroplex/fort max he's not even competition.

I want it still only because I'm not waiting another 20+ years for a second attempt/some bizarre wallet demolishing masterpiece/3p attempt

http://i.tformers.com/g/albums/31736/Titans%20Return%20Trypticon%20In%20Hand%20Photo%20 Gallery%2009.jpg

fatbot
12th June 2017, 07:18 PM
Now might be the time to get him from TLTC on eBay with the 10% off, if you have him in their eBay store.

hYpNoS
12th June 2017, 07:37 PM
Now might be the time to get him from TLTC on eBay with the 10% off, if you have him in their eBay store.

They only offer pre-orders on their website and instock stuff via ebay, I presume to avoid those silly people who buy the "pre-order" listing and don't read the whole line expecting instant delivery and then give neg feedback, they give me a decent chuckle.

Either way its cheaper via their own webshop as they charge more via their ebay page to cover ebay fee's.

Jellico
12th June 2017, 10:04 PM
For those who don't know which company Jellico is referring to, it is The Little Toy Company.

ESTIMATED ARRIVAL IS AUGUST/SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2017

So be prepared for a long wait. Given that this thread is about Trypticon actually being in stock, and many of us are going to run out and grab the first one we see, this deal might not be for you.

I am planning a few little strategic buys over the next 6 months. It will be interesting to see just how much you can attach onto an existing delivery. $35 + $15 for a Voyager doesn't seem that great, but $35 + $35 + $35 + $15 is a lot more interesting.

Krayt
13th June 2017, 12:15 AM

That's only if you make the legs dead straight.... The comments come from TakTom pics vs metroplex with a bit of posing, which bought him down a bit, and therefore threw off people's thoughts on him

Starscream77
14th June 2017, 11:22 AM
So the catalogue has leaked on line
Sale price is $248

griffin
14th June 2017, 11:25 AM
Yep... see here (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=24450).

GoktimusPrime
14th June 2017, 12:49 PM
Okay, I think that's an acceptable price for Trypticon. Bought on sight... next challenge is to try and find the damn thing in a store (and hope that it doesn't get prematurely scalped like CW Devastator was) :rolleyes: Back up plan is my PC pre-order that I've already paid for months ago TLTC.

ChlorHex
16th June 2017, 12:41 PM
If anyone is keen... my local Big W had 6 pieces last night.
This is in Perth.
I was expecting a humongous box... would be interesting to see how they squish Trippy in the box :p

1AZRAEL1
16th June 2017, 01:40 PM
I've seen the inside of the box. He's in parts lol. I think both his legs are off and laid flat out next to his torso

reillyd
16th June 2017, 05:07 PM
If anyone is keen... my local Big W had 6 pieces last night.
This is in Perth.
I was expecting a humongous box... would be interesting to see how they squish Trippy in the box :p

His legs are not attached. I suspect you won't be able to remove them and place back in the box, if any of the Gi joe vehicles are anything to go by

griffin
16th June 2017, 05:40 PM
Same with Metroplex and Fort Max. The arm packed separately clicks right in there, so I don't think it is supposed to be able to be removed without damaging it.

VERT
16th June 2017, 10:56 PM
My one is on Layby. Once the sale starts I can get the price changed to the sale price. No mess or fuss and no fighting for one at 12am

GoktimusPrime
17th June 2017, 09:50 PM
My one is on Layby. Once the sale starts I can get the price changed to the sale price. No mess or fuss and no fighting for one at 12am
I had staff at two different Big Ws tell me that this isn't possible - that I would have to pay the price of the toy at the time of lay-by and that Big W cannot charge me the sale price if I pick it up during the sale. Could someone please confirm/deny this, preferably with reference to something from Big W's store policy?

Krayt
17th June 2017, 09:54 PM
Same with Metroplex and Fort Max. The arm packed separately clicks right in there, so I don't think it is supposed to be able to be removed without damaging it.

Nopey nope nope!!

Super easy to detach legs.... As mentioned in the review thread :p

VERT
18th June 2017, 09:23 AM
I had staff at two different Big Ws tell me that this isn't possible - that I would have to pay the price of the toy at the time of lay-by and that Big W cannot charge me the sale price if I pick it up during the sale. Could someone please confirm/deny this, preferably with reference to something from Big W's store policy?

Well I have done that with all the X mas laybys last year. And even if i cant do it while the toy sale is on. I can do it for any other sale they have. I do it all the time :)

hYpNoS
18th June 2017, 06:31 PM
Seems werribee plaza is opening right on midnight for the sale, and I haven't seen one trypticon put on on display, got a feeling they'll do it closer to the date like they did with fort max (their systems say they supposedly have 30 units when I last asked).

...should I rush in at midnight or would I be safe in the morning, yes I decided to get mine instore just to save on hassles :D

valkyrie_76
18th June 2017, 08:59 PM

I have had lego price changed on a layby when they had 20% off so I dont know why they wouldnt.