PDA

View Full Version : HasCon Transformers Panel and Display Cases

Raider
9th September 2017, 04:37 AM
Well it is confirmed (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/hascon-2017-transformers-brand-team-panel-meets-eye-347982#more-347982), combiner Dinobots (as Volcanicus, and already lined up for the Earth Wars game (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/hascon-2017-earth-wars-booth-dinobot-combiner-volcanicus-digital-designs-video-featuring-predaking-348417))!

From the Transformers presentation panel - TFW (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/hascon-2017-transformers-brand-team-panel-meets-eye-347982) - Seibertron (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hascon-transformers-panel-coverage-tlk-volcanicus-orion-pax-more/39467/).

Revealed toys:

Generations Power Of The Primes Dinobot Combiner Volcanicus
Generations Power Of The Primes Leader Class Optimus Prime
Generations Power Of The Primes Micronus
Convention Exclusives
Transformers: Robots In Disguise and The Last Knight toys (nothing new)

Kids Toylines

Each panelist stated their favorite Transformers toy.

Transformers Movie Line for kids

Discussing movies toys. Showcasing Allspark Tech.
Behind the scenes of Movie line.
Discussing the Transformers: The Last Knight toys now.
Hasbro worked with Takara Tomy on the TLK toys for the Armor Up Turbo Changers line.

Transformers: Robots In Disguise

Discussing Robots In Disguise toys now. We’ll update if there’s anything new that will pop up.
Explaining Combiner Force. Inspiration came from designers love for combiners and the Generations revival of the feature was the key.
Lots of thought process went into RID Combiner Force. a looooong explanation.

Generations

Prime Wars Trilogy info now.
Micronus goes into Cloudburst decoy armor.
New art of Optimus Primal being shown
Lots of artwork show. We’ll upload them all.
Dinobot Slash, Female, Legends Scale
Deluxe Slug – G1 Accurate.
Voyage Grimlock
All the Dinobots look great. [Awesome!]
History of the Dinobots.
Dinobot Combiner name – Volcanicus
Will have rocker ankles, New technology incorporated
New combiner technology with better joints.
Leader Optimus Prime now.
Orion Pax into G1 prime. Very much like Hot Rod to Rodimus (as seen during SDCC)
Prime’s trailer is part of bot mode now, not just cab.

Hascon 2017 Exclusives

Talking about Hascon 2017 Exclusives now.
Arcee first.
Predaking teaser shown. NYTF exclusive figure.

Panel Over!!!
Q&A Time

There will be Dinobot variants / Repaints down the line.

The Last Knight

The first product presented and discussed has to do with the concept of Story, and Transformers: The Last Knight - the team shows a clip introducing the Allspark Tech line (which you can see covered here, too).

The team is particularly excited about the story-driven features of the new toy line, from the electronics to the voice clips included in each of the figures.

Next is more The Last Knight coverage, with the Knight Armour line of toys (as previously seen here, for example). Hasbro actually collaborated with Takara on the design for this line, and the helmet designs for the various figures are inspired by actual military wear from across the world.

Robots in Disguise Combiner Force

Swiftly moving on to the Robots in Disguise toy line, with discussion of the collaboration with the animation studios and the creation and design of the combiners from the show (such as Ultra Bee and Menasor). Discussing how the concept had to adhere to the idea of the multiple modes being compatible with each other, while also appealing to the multiple toys in one all in one box.

After the major combiners, the team discusses the Crash Combiners instead, showing Strongarm and Optimus Prime as examples.

Generations - Power of the Primes
Discussing the idea of reveals, and how the Prime Wars trilogy. Prime Masters being reintroduced along with the confirmation of Optimus Primal as new Prime after fan vote.

Dinobot Slash - first female Dinobot, collaborated with Takara Tomy to create the Legends scale new character.
Dinobot Slug
Dinobot Swoop
Dinobot Snarl
Dinobot Sludge

Voyager class Grimlock - poseable, interacts with Prime Masters.
Yoke-san actually talking about the Dinobots' history and how it influenced current designs

All new Dinobot combiner announced: Volcanicus!
Sludge is leg, Snarl is other leg, Swoop and Slug is arms, Grimlock is torso.
Ankle tilts!
Had to think about the joints system for the combiners, in order to hold up the whole figure. Right amount of friction was hard to get.

Leader class reveal - Optimus Prime. Evolving Deluxe Orion Pax into the Autobot Leader.
Some design topics talking about getting the right space and friction for the Deluxe to fit.
Discussing the interactive and play pattern for the Matrix and the other Prime-help crystals, blending old stories with new toyline.

Exclusives

Titans Return Arcee and Titans Return Ultra Magnus, as seen before.

Optimus Prime Power Bank also seen before.

A final teaser was the silhouette for Predaking, as per the mockup seen already.

Q&A
A question about a new Shockwave, which 'will be taken into consideration'.

The newly revealed toys in the display case - TFW (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/hascon-2017-generations-power-primes-display-case-pics-348335) - Seibertron (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/hascon-first-look-at-transformers-power-of-the-primes-dinobots-and-leader-optimus-prime/39470/).

A display case of the toys revealed at SDCC (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/hascon-2017-pre-panel-display-case-images-power-primes-prototypes-348019). (also includes a display case of various prototypes and unproduced toys)

A very small number of official images (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/08/transformers-generations-power-primes-official-images-hasbro-348404) from Hasbro (only of what was revealed - the six Dinobots, Leader Optimus and Micronus).

Jellico
9th September 2017, 06:47 AM
They are G1 style Dinobots. They could add a tag along female black and red Jurassic Park inspired raptor and I would still buy them just to indoctrinate the kids into the awesomeness that is clunky 80s space dinosaurs.

griffin
9th September 2017, 08:09 AM
That was a total letdown... just 8 toys revealed. And only from Generations.
Where's the toy reveals for RID... Movie/Tribute... Rescue Bots... store exclusives.

Considering the entire POTP toyline leaked, I was expecting that they would be at least showing off pretty much everything from that toyline, just to get ahead of the leaks. It seems that their marketing schedule is planned out a long time in advance (revealing certain figures at NYTF, SDCC, NYCC, HasCon) and that schedule just can't be changed.

So disappointing... and would have felt even more ripped off if I had spent the money to go there. It's nice seeing old stuff on display and prototypes, but the new reveals are the big exciting news that you want to be first to witness, and that other people want to see through you.

There is another panel at the end of Sunday, so you would hope that they will be revealing new items... but there is the possibility that it is just a repeat for those who missed the first one because of clashing panels or autographs (like they used to do at BotCon). Because if they did reveal anything new on Sunday afternoon (3-4pm), there isn't really any time left to promote them in the display cases to the general public. (the fans would still find them, but not always)

DELTAprime
9th September 2017, 08:11 AM
I won't be combining the Dinobots but I'm a little put off by the comment about getting the joints right. Makes it sound like they are not using Combiner Wars ports which worries me a bit since the CW ports were so good.

griffin
9th September 2017, 09:01 AM
I just noticed that the official image for Swoop has a red chest, but the toy in the display case has a blue chest.
I wonder which version will be the final version in stores, and if they will do the other version as an exclusive redeco at some point later.

No details about the new "club" either, or where else this Arcee will be sold. Hopefully the Sunday repeat of this panel gives up more news.

I'd be interested in seeing/hearing how full/empty the panel room(s) are... and the overall crowd numbers. Particularly from those who have been to fan conventions and BotCon.
And their impressions of the "dealer room".

SharkyMcShark
9th September 2017, 11:04 AM
I won't be combining the Dinobots but I'm a little put off by the comment about getting the joints right. Makes it sound like they are not using Combiner Wars ports which worries me a bit since the CW ports were so good.

I think thats more a reference to the CW ankle joints and feet, which were on the whole completely garbage.

DELTAprime
9th September 2017, 12:54 PM
I'd be interested in seeing/hearing how full/empty the panel room(s) are... and the overall crowd numbers. Particularly from those who have been to fan conventions and BotCon.
And their impressions of the "dealer room".

I can take a pretty good guess right now as to what people will say...

"Botcon was way better!!!"

I think thats more a reference to the CW ankle joints and feet, which were on the whole completely garbage.

I never had any problems with the ankles, but all mine are UW so there might be some better QC for that line.

Dimi194
9th September 2017, 01:32 PM
Dinobots and TR Titanmasters (aka the Primes) just don't do it for me, so maybe this series will be a bit cheaper for me (:p:p)

However that Prime is awesome-looks like the MP10 (which I've always wanted but can't justify the price) aesthetic for a third of the price, count me in!

Ode to a Grasshopper
9th September 2017, 01:34 PM
Bugger, I was really hoping for some more/different reveals. I realise that the Dinobots are one of the big ticket announcements here, but they're one of the least interesting sets for me. And seeing them on display/the official images, well...they aren't doing much for me on their own merits either. That Slash looks alright, the rest are all Passes.

I'm still looking forward to the Terrorcons, fembots, etc...basically almsot everything they didn't show.
Titan-class Predaking silhouette looks...not promising. Hope it looks better in reality/with details.

Bidoofdude
9th September 2017, 05:42 PM
The dinobots look really good except maybe Sludge with the clunkiness being taken a bit far. Swoop and Slug look great, as does Snarl.

I just noticed that the official image for Swoop has a red chest, but the toy in the display case has a blue chest.
I wonder which version will be the final version in stores, and if they will do the other version as an exclusive redeco at some point later.

No details about the new "club" either, or where else this Arcee will be sold. Hopefully the Sunday repeat of this panel gives up more news.

Maybe Swoop is a running change like CW Onslaught, though that never seemed to happen.

Brainstorm
9th September 2017, 05:46 PM
Looks good to me. I have to say I'm on board - I like the new aesthetic for the Dinobots and I especially like the Orion Pax/Optimus Power Armour. Not sold on the Micromasters/Prime Masters/Whatever they're called but then I wasn't huge on the Titan Masters either - the saving grace for me was that you could ignore them in bot mode and hide them in robot mode, so I wasn't too bothered.

Any sniff of a proper release schedule?

FatalityPitt
9th September 2017, 08:10 PM
Man, I'm so pumped! I have my neo-G1 Classics Insecticons, Constructicons, Headmasters, etc; and now I can finally have a proper set of updated Dinobots AND Rodimus Prime! I can't think of anyone else we might be missing... Ratbat maybe? A Ratbat retool from Laserbeak/Buzzsaw could be good, if not a new mould.

The Optimus Prime looks good too! We've had some excellent Megatrons (CW, WFC, RtS, etc) but I feel like we're still waiting for the neo-G1 Classics Optimus Prime with that 'X factor'. 2006 Classics Optimus had it during its time, but it's getting a bit dated.

Also, I wonder when Hasbro are going to start showing off the 'Evergreen' G1 figures. I think they might be new Legends scale versions of G1 characters

reillyd
9th September 2017, 10:27 PM
There seems to be some new toys in the protos section, but not sure if these are abandoned designs that were unproduced or are yet to be announced

doublespy
10th September 2017, 12:55 AM
Both the Dinobots and Prime look good!

Love the transparent plastic over gold paint on the Dinobots. So G1 it hurts.

I always say the one thing that 3P companies absolutely haven't been able to beat HasTak on, is the head sculpt. Prime and Orion Pax's head sculpts are probably the best cartoon-inspired head sculpt on a mass-market figure I've ever seen. And I could've sworn they re-used part of MP-10's CAD model for the head sculpt. It has that Masterpiece-esque vibe to it.

FatalityPitt
10th September 2017, 12:36 PM
More reveals (Rippersnapper, Hun-grrr, Moonracer, and Optimus Primal)

https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/transformers-power-of-the-primes-optimus-primal-moon-racer-rippersnapper-and-hungurrr-revealed-at-hascon/39484/

griffin
10th September 2017, 12:59 PM
Some additional details from the VIP Dinner/reveals at BWTF.com (http://www.bwtf.com/news/poweroftheprimes-hascon-vip-reveals)...

Moonracer
Based on the G1 character and is also a Combiner Wars limb.

Rippersnapper
Deluxe sized team member for Abominus. Appears to have a standard "Combiner Wars" limb/port.

Hun-Gurrr
Don't let the Decepticon symbol over the face throw you (I believe this is because the face sculpt is still in the works). The pieces mounted on the arms are the foot pieces with ankles that can tilt.

Optimus Primal
A Leader Class figure with the "original" Optimus Primal as a Deluxe Class figure that then "evolves" into Optimal Optimus! As an added bonus, part of the figure will become a surf board, referring to Optimus Primal's Transmetal form!

And some photos of the grey prototype (https://www.facebook.com/bensworldtf/posts/1472534736127558) Dinbot Combiner Volcanicus.

griffin
10th September 2017, 01:03 PM
Also, a youtube video of the Friday Transformers panel (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyWwUVtgMyE).

griffin
10th September 2017, 02:39 PM
This slide on the Transformers panel (http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2017/09/DSC04929.jpg), of the Allspark Tech Cube gimmick toys, shows that they were originally intending to have several more figures released... but with the cutting back of the movie line, some probably won't (unless Hasbro are planning to keep releasing them over the next few months, as it isn't part of the Premier Edition line).

In addition to the (expected or released) Bumblebee, Barricade, Hound, Drift, Megatron, Optimus, Shadow Spark Optimus and Sqweeks, there is also included on the list, Dragonstorm, Berzerker and Crosshairs.

griffin
10th September 2017, 03:42 PM
I can take a pretty good guess right now as to what people will say...

"Botcon was way better!!!"

I will be asking someone who went, when the event is over (they are probably too busy to be answering such trivial queries at this time)... but I've been trying to look for photos that included audience, or seating, and this one from the Saturday Night VIP event (http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2017/09/DSC05415.jpg) for the Hall of Fame has a lot of empty seats (the photo looks to be at least several rows back).

I thought the HOF was part of the VIP Dinner... or maybe the dinner was in the same auditorium, but a little back from the stage, which could be why so few seats were filled, as most people might have stayed at their table.
(unlikely though, because as soon as the presentations would have started, and the new toy reveals, people would have been up the front in an instant)

This is worse than BotCon, with such little peripheral information and specific details being given out. If it isn't a new toy reveal slideshow or display case, the major fansites just don't seem to care about covering it, or covering it properly.
It's no wonder people really liked my BotCon reports (despite often being later than the American fansites), because I go to the trouble of making sure people get the full "picture" at these events and panels.
As it is, I have got no idea on what the Saturday night schedule included, as different people are posting up different things that may or may not have been all in the one event. There's been almost no coverage of the non-toy panels, and if Ben Yee wasn't attending, we wouldn't get anything from those ones (which I transcribed in the other HasCon news topic). I'm still yet to see a report on the IDW panel, and the Hasbro tour... or even the Optimus Battery Pack toy.
I know that for most people who go to a convention, the point is to have fun and be entertained without any sense of obligations to others, but when the admins and news staff of fansites attend an event to get hits on their websites, they should do a complete job of it. Ben Yee is just one person on a not-for-profit website, but he's managed to cover more of the convention so far than the major fansites combined.

Yes... I miss BotCon. Rant over... :p:o:(

shockNwave
10th September 2017, 08:09 PM
I was thinking of finishing up the TR series by buying Trypticon but after seeing the Volcanicus and Predaking combiners, I'll pass on Trypticon because at the end of the day I prefer complexity over simplicity regardless of size.

By the way, the prototype image of Rippersnapper's alt. mode reminds me of a xenomorph.;)

SMHFConvoy
10th September 2017, 08:14 PM
Looking at those technical drawings of Optimus Primal, I reckon there's a possibility of a solo deluxe version

philby
10th September 2017, 11:04 PM
I have to say I am liking that Optimus Prime more than I anticipated. It looks very much like MP levels of detail :)
Also interested in the dinobots!

griffin
11th September 2017, 06:09 AM
A lot more photos of the Volcanicus combiner (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/10/power-primes-dinobot-combiner-volcanicus-prototype-hand-pictures-348664).

And official character art of the toys revealed on Friday - Dinobots (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/10/power-prime-dinobots-official-artwork-348656), and Optimus & Micronus (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/10/transformers-power-primes-official-images-dinobot-slash-orion-pax-optimus-prime-cloudburst-348723).

FruitBuyer
11th September 2017, 08:21 AM
Volcanicus looks pretty ridiculously proportioned but I still have to get it because Dinobots.

Look forward to seeing any mods that come out that give it better proportions.

Jellico
11th September 2017, 09:09 AM
Is it me or are the Cons looking really outnumbered next year? With Starscream not getting his own limbs that leave the Cons a set of Deluxes short.

Raider
11th September 2017, 10:01 AM
Is it me or are the Cons looking really outnumbered next year? With Starscream not getting his own limbs that leave the Cons a set of Deluxes short.

I agree that it looks that way. There is some solace in that if you look back at the leaks then we know Abominus is coming too. Blackwing and Dreadwind also have connector ports so perhaps they will bring out another 2 deluxes that are by themselves and can be used with Starscream.

CBratron
11th September 2017, 10:15 AM
It was nice to see a full set of dinobots again. Edit: I guess the combiner gimmick explains why Grimlock has such a gimped tail.

I'm surprised they're still calling the line "generations". I thought they dropped that for CW and TR.

So we're expecting Abominus and Predaking in PotP (do we shorten it to PotP or just PP?)

CBratron
11th September 2017, 10:25 AM
Yes... I miss BotCon. Rant over... :p:o:(

With Hascon also covering MLP and M:TG as well as being pitched as an all ages fan-mily event, I think they cast the net a bit too wide. I think this first Hascon was just testing the waters, seeing what parts were popular. Next year will be a little more focused. Or it could become a mega-con separated into quadrants/precincts for the major properties.

griffin
11th September 2017, 12:15 PM
I just can't see it growing if it stays in Rhode Island. It isn't central or in a populated area/state, and isn't easy to get to, even for Americans. The major Conventions in America are in major cities that have a lot of transport options and a large walk-in population.... and give visitors other things to do if they are there for any extra days. It's one reason BotCon did Pasadena so often, as there was a big local population and LA has a major domestic and international airport. None of which Rhode Island has... but Hasbro is there, so they won't travel far to do a HasCon.

It's a great idea for nurturing and growing their smaller brands by exposing fans of their popular brands to them, but it shouldn't be at the expense of their dedicated fans and conventions. I believe it was their close relationship with that dedicated fandom through BotCon over the years that made it possible for the billion dollar franchise to exist at the moment.

Paulbot
11th September 2017, 02:45 PM
With the Dinobots, I'm not likely to combine them, but they look good though even with some compromises for the gimmick (although I kinda wish they'd gone with Titan Masters and given them Diaclone style cockpits).

The leader class toys, I dunno...

Optimus Prime looks great from the front sure, but all the grey when you look at him from the side ain't great, and in truck mode there's a whole lot of folded up Orion Pax that they don't make much effort to hide. I am going to pass on him.

https://twitter.com/FakeEyes22/status/906636526616006656

Rodimus Prime on the other hand looks pretty great, the deluxe Hot Rod component also looks like a great Hot Rod action figure.

https://twitter.com/Unicron_News/status/906944582813921285

But in Truck mode, which fair enough is an angle you're not going to see that often, there's minimal disguise! Still want this one though.

https://twitter.com/FakeEyes22/status/906729968880758784

And for Optimus Primal? Optimal Optimus looks great but the "Optimus Primal" part of it scores a must try harder from me.

Gutsman Heavy
11th September 2017, 03:40 PM
Did we get any word on Leader Blackout/Grimlock?

Bladestorm
11th September 2017, 05:19 PM
A lot more photos of the Volcanicus combiner (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/10/power-primes-dinobot-combiner-volcanicus-prototype-hand-pictures-348664).

And official character art of the toys revealed on Friday - Dinobots (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/10/power-prime-dinobots-official-artwork-348656), and Optimus & Micronus (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/10/transformers-power-primes-official-images-dinobot-slash-orion-pax-optimus-prime-cloudburst-348723).

Those "antenna" on the shoulders (Grimlocks arms) ... just look so wrong.
But as others have said... I'll be getting it cuz... dinobots!! And it's probably as close to G1 dino's as we are gunna get.

I really like the look of Optimus other than the grey hands.

And Moonracer... does this mean we're going to see another female combiner with a leader class Elita One? She just seemed like the odd one out which makes me wonder if Moonracer is the teaser for a reveal of something bigger with the fembots later on.

I have to admit this event exceeded my expectation in terms of guests, displays and reveals, although I did notice quite a few of the Cybertroncon wall art re-used for this. The idea of touring Hasbro would be an interesting prospect. I wonder how fans of other franchises there eg MLP felt about the combined event and whether Hasbro will do it again or realise they need to dedicate time and effort to each franchise respectively with their own events.

griffin
11th September 2017, 06:38 PM
The thing I try to remind people about these combiners, especially ones who aren't traditionally combiners, is that, as long as the combining element/engineering doesn't significantly ruin the look of the toy (like the PowerCore Combiners and RID Combiners), think of the combining element as just an added bonus, that you don't have to use... but if you do, it's a bonus feature in addition to it transforming between its classic modes.

And with pretty much all animal combiners, you are going to have limb kibble sticking out everywhere, and non-cubic bodies, so that when they are all combined into one form, it is usually a mess. Even the Gen1 Predaking - most of the individual beasts were rectangular blocks to give Predaking a more uniform combined mode, at the expense of the individual robot modes (being rectangular blocks).

Ode to a Grasshopper
11th September 2017, 06:39 PM
And Moonracer... does this mean we're going to see another female combiner with a leader class Elita One? She just seemed like the odd one out which makes me wonder if Moonracer is the teaser for a reveal of something bigger with the fembots later on.Yup. :) Maybe. Sorta.
Voyager-class Elita-1 (Starscream retool) with Moonracer and FireNovaStar deluxes. Whether that means there's a Greenlight, Lancer, and/or updated Chromia on the way is anyone's guess. I'm hoping for a Greenlight and Lancer myself, but that's probably a bit optimistic.

griffin
11th September 2017, 06:52 PM
I haven't watched it yet, but apparently this is a video of the Sunday Transformers panel (https://www.facebook.com/unicroncom/videos/10155118175554912/). If it is, it mustn't reveal anything new, or else it would be news on the major fansites.

Jellico
12th September 2017, 05:59 AM
Yup. :) Maybe. Sorta.
Voyager-class Elita-1 (Starscream retool) with Moonracer and FireNovaStar deluxes. Whether that means there's a Greenlight, Lancer, and/or updated Chromia on the way is anyone's guess. I'm hoping for a Greenlight and Lancer myself, but that's probably a bit optimistic.

The whole leak thing makes it weird. The above is a good example. You would think that they are half way to a full combiner with the first three. But the plan for the year has mostly repeats in Wave 3 and 4. Heck, Jazz is the only other Autobot Deluxe leaving any potential combiner a limb short.

Don't get me wrong. It looks like a great year. You have 3 strong waves of Legends. The 3 unique Leaders are solid enough though dominated by Autobots. 5 unique Voyagers, though all are torsos, only two seem to have a full set of limbs planed so far. Which brings us back to the Deluxes. Two sets of 4 and not enough spares to make anything. Curious.

Oh well. Time to go back to thinking about putting TR Optimus and PotP Optimus in a cage fight to see who gets to face off against CW Megatron.

griffin
14th September 2017, 06:21 AM
Clean official images (http://news.tfw2005.com/2017/09/13/power-primes-optimus-prime-dinobots-additional-official-images-348958) of the Dinobots, Optimus and Micronus.

Jellico
14th September 2017, 10:49 AM
The Seibertron (https://www.seibertron.com/transformers/news/official-images-of-transformers-power-of-the-primes-hascon-2017-exclusive-reveals/39554/) version has fluff, prices and release dates. I mention it because all the Dinobots are listed as Fall which doesn't match with what we have been told before.