PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro October answers.

griffin
24th October 2008, 04:30 PM
Just checked my email a minute before heading off to work, so unfortunately I haven't even read this, so can't comment yet. Try to be nice with comments (if they say anything you don't like).

HUGE THANKS to Hasbro for doing this!!! :)

1 - Are there any plans for a global competition next year for Transformers 25th, along the lines of the one run for My Little Pony's 25th Anniversary?
No global plans for a competition to celebrate the 25th Anniversary however there will be things happening on the Transformers website to promote the anniversary. It will be a busy year with plenty of activity to support movie 2.
-
2 - Would Hasbro US consider doing an 'international themed' line (or redecos) of Tf's, and include at least an Australian themed/redeco toy?
Unfortunately not – our focus going into 2009 is definitely on our Revenge of the Fallen movie product along with the continuation of Transformers Animated. As you can imagine between these two segments there is an enormous amount of product. There may be an option to do something like you are suggesting down the road in 2010 and beyond.

3 - Are the plastic bubbles on carded figures made from plastic that can be recycled?
Yes.

4 - Are Hasbro aware of the noticeable increase in quality control issues (weak plastic, messy paint aps, etc) being found by collectors and even reported to Hasbro Customer service in the past, and if so, are there plans to rectify the problem or is this just a result of sourcing more affordable production methods to offset higher production costs (and as such, won't be changing any time soon)?
Yes we are aware that there has been a rise in collector complaints about certain Transformers products. We can assure you that all products are quality tested to strict controls and it is something that Hasbro prides itself on. Given the huge increase in volume we have experienced in the Transformers range the likelihood of certain products sometimes not meeting consumer expectations slightly increases, however we always try to service our customers needs when a problem arises.
-
5 - Are there any plans to bring over more Japanese Takara exclusives, like Masterpiece Convoy and Ultra Magnus?
We do have visibility to Takara exclusives and we will evaluate the possibility for one retailer exclusive item in 2009 from the Takara range. As background, on top of getting retailers to range the more expensive Takara product range, it is not an easy process to get Takara product into Australia given the nature of the product. Hence we are never able to offer the entire range but rather a select one or two.
-
6 - Are we likely to see more Machine Men/Gobots homages, like the Fracture/Crasher figure?
Not specifically but never ever rule anything out in this industry! There is always the possibility.
-
7 - Is there an update on the creation of a Hasbro AUS online store, as it was last mentioned at Toyfair to be likely by the end of this year or early next year?
Although we had hoped for an earlier launch, unfortunately it has been pushed out to the end of 2009 at the earliest in line with a great corporate roll-out.
-
8 - Is there any way we can get in a 'collector quantity' (couple hundred) of the toys not released in Australian retail stores, either directly through Hasbro AUS or through an independent toy importer with Hasbro AUS's help?
Unfortunately no but we assure you we do our best to get most exclusives offered at retail. We try to offer as many as possible but we can’t guarantee that all items will be picked up by the retailers. We will continue to actively investigate all available avenues to bring collector product in to the market.
-
9 - Is it possible to have an Australian-based Official Collector Club, or does the Official one in America cover all international jurisdictions, preventing a local one?
The official collector club Transformersclub.com actually covers all international markets.
-
10 - Regarding toy instructions, I find the original G1 style of instructions, which also give written descriptions in each transformation sequence, far far easier to follow than the current picture only instructions. With the modern TFs toys, being more and more complex to transform, could this be passed on and reviewed by Hasbro US, to help make it easier for the general consumer?
As you have probably already gathered, our instruction manuals are used all around the world hence we have reduced the amount of text in order to cater to the majority of markets. This is common across many industries in the modern global marketplace and we believe that our visual instructions are suitable for the mass market.
-
11 - With the advances that Lego has had in their Technic range and also the mecha-like and popular exoforce series which can all create fully transformable vehicles if engineered correctly, (the parts in their catalog are more than capable of fully articulated robots), would a series of licensed Lego transformers be considered, as opposed to Hasbro's own attempts at competing with Lego with its own version in the past?
We have no plans in consideration for this at the present time.
-
12 - Are robot points ever going to be seen or used again?
Again this is not in our plans at present however it could happen down the track.
-
13 - Will the Universe Special Edition toys (Optimus, Megatron, Dragstrip, Overkill) be a general release in Australia, available to all stores, or be a store exclusive, and what sort of approximate price range can we expect?
Yes will be general release. RRP will be $34.99. We expect most product to ship by early next year.
-
14 - The 25th Optimus toy is being released here in late November, will more of the 25th wave of the Universe product line (deluxe, legend, etc) start shipping at that time as well?
That is the intention however all our new waves of 25th anniversary branded product will ship depending on retail orders. If certain retailers are sitting on more stock of the first waves of Universe product it may take longer for them to range the new product.
-
15 - What will Hasbro Australia be doing this year to prevent a repeat of last year's shortage of Transformers toys last Christmas, which saw empty shelves in most stores from November to late January, (because of Hasbro America under-estimating their own demand, preventing retailers here and in other countries from being able to rely on supply from their Hasbro branches)?
No issues are expected this year as we have plenty of stock on hand for our market. However please remember that the retailers ultimately control stock levels at each store.
-
16 - Was Hasbro AUS aware of all the Target Exclusive MP04 Masterpiece Convoys found to have missing parts, that were even emailed to Customer Service (without reply)? Were they excess stock from TakaraTomy, which could have included returned stock from JP retailers because they were defective/missing parts?
We extend our apologies if there was no response on this issue. We only became aware of any issues with the product after it was sold in the market. Unfortunately this is another potential problem with sourcing Takara product as it is very difficult for us in Australia to address/fix problems that may occur on Takara product as it is not a Hasbro produced toy line. The product was not excess or returned stock and neither Hasbro or Takara would knowingly ship defective products.

17 - Do you know if TakaraTomy are going to continue releasing reissues in their Encore line, or how long they plan to continue that series?
Unsure – we have not had any word from Takara on this. We will try and find out more and provide and update in next month’s Q&A.
-
18 - What is the inspiration (if any) behind the vehicle modes chosen for the Marvel Crossover Transformers?
The vehicles are chosen based on the best correlation between the characters personality and physical traits i.e Hulk obviously fits a tank perfectly given his bulk and destructive power, whilst Spiderman fits well with a motorcycle given his speed and agility.
-
19 - Are any of the following US store exclusives being released in AUS stores?
- Stealth Lockdown (redeco) w/ Optimus Prime & Bumblebee (Leg repacks) (US Target) Yes in Target – should ship in next month
- Rescue Ratchet (redeco) w/ Prowl & Starscream (Leg repacks) (US Target) Yes in Target – should ship in next month
- Battle for the Cyber Planet Keys (Deluxe 5-pack - repack) (US Sam's Club) We currently plan on releasing this in 2009 probably in June/July as an exclusive – yet TBC
- Optimus Prime (Voyager) w/ Autobot Ratchet (BBat) (repacks) (US unknown) I think this has now changed to an assortment of Voyager Sunstorm w/Activator Ratchet and Voyager Shockwave w/Activator Bumblebee. We are looking to do this in 2009 but TBC.
- Animated Optimus Prime Vs Blackarachnia (Deluxe repacks) (US Walmart) No plans
- Animated Prowl Vs Megatron (Deluxe repacks) (US Walmart) No plans
- Gunbarrel (Basic Decepticon) (US Target) (EN Tank) No plans
- Decepticon Reverb (Basic Decepticon) (US Target) (EN Jet) No plans
- Backtrack (Basic Autobot) (US Target) (CYB Motorcycle) No plans
- Optimus Prime Vs Crumplezone (CYB Leader Vs Voyager repack) (US Costco/AUS unknown) No plans
- Freeway Brawl (Battle Scene 2-pack) (US Target) No plans
- Battle Over Mission City (Battle Scene 2-pack) (US Target) No plans
- Bulkhead (Voyager) w/ Autobot Jazz (BBat) (repacks) (US unknown) No plans
-
20 - Have any of the following AUS release details changed since the last update?
- Bulkhead (Leader) w/ Bumblebee (Act) (repacks) (US TRU/AUS TRU Oct) Still TRU scheduled for Nov ship
- Megatron (Leader) w/ Starscream (Act) (repacks) (US TRU/AUS TRU Oct) Still TRU scheduled for Nov ship
- Minicon 12-pack (US Kmart/AUS Kmart Oct) Still Kmart scheduled for Nov
- Leadership Team/Special Team Leaders (Legends 5-pack) (US Target/AUS Target Oct) Still Target scheduled for Nov ship
- Aerial Rivals Team (Legends 5-pack) (US Target/AUS Target Oct) Still Target scheduled for Nov ship
- Standoff Beneath the Streets (Comic 2-pack) (US Target/AUS TRU Sep) Still TRU scheduled for Nov ship
- Autobot Ambush (Comic 2-pack) (US Target/AUS TRU Sep) Still TRU scheduled for Nov ship
- The Legacy of Bumblebee (3xDeluxe Autobot) (US Walmart/AUS Kmart Sep/Oct) Still Kmart but they plan on shipping it later now – probably late Nov
- Nemesis Prime (Universe/Classics Voyager Decepticon) (US SDCC/AUS maybe in 2009) Still a maybe
- Skywarp (Titanium Decepticon) (US SDCC/not here) No plans
- Unicron w/ Dead End (Supreme 'Decepticon' - repack) (US TRU/not here) No plans
- Crankcase (Deluxe Decepticon) (US Walmart/not here) No plans
- Decepticon Fracture (Deluxe Decepticon)(US Walmart/not here) No plans
- Breakaway (Deluxe Autobot)(US Walmart/not here) No plans
- War Within Grimlock (Titanium Autobot) (US TRU/not here) No plans
- War Within Prowl (Titanium Autobot) (US TRU/not here) No plans
- Optimus Prime Vs Megatron (Classics 2-pack repack) (US KB/not here) No plans
- Premium Ironhide (Movie Voyager) (Not here) Product no longer in production
- Premium Blackout (Movie Voyager) (Not here) Product no longer in production
- Premium Megatron (Movie Leader) (Not here) Product no longer in production
- Premium Optimus Prime (Movie Leader) (Not here) Product no longer in production

Borgeman
24th October 2008, 04:44 PM
im pretty happy with the responses tbh, it will be interesting to see the update on the encore line if they remember

13 - Will the Universe Special Edition toys (Optimus, Megatron, Dragstrip, Overkill) be a general release in Australia, available to all stores, or be a store exclusive, and what sort of approximate price range can we expect?
Yes will be general release. RRP will be $34.99. We expect most product to ship by early next year.

bit pricey for a nicely packed deluxe, but at least it will still be cheaper than myer :P

George

King Atlas
24th October 2008, 05:01 PM
Product no longer in production ay? I can just see that popping up in all the scalpers description. An it will automatically justify the seller(s) to double the price.

jaydisc
24th October 2008, 05:28 PM
Awesome! Thanks Hasbro AU!

Is that Animated Sunstorm??!?!? Woo hoo!!!! Animated seeker clones!!!!!!!

Gutsman Heavy
24th October 2008, 05:30 PM
Voyager Sunstorm!? sweet.

Pulse
24th October 2008, 07:20 PM
We aren't getting the new 6 inch titaniums... :(

Voyager Animated Sunstorm? Cool! :) (Are we the first to hear about this?)

Dragstrip, Overkill etc. priced at $35 - atleast it's better than TRU charging $50 for Movie G1 Jazz

dirge
24th October 2008, 09:38 PM
I can't say I'm keen on $35 for Drag Strip - mainly because I don't care about how it's packed. But it's good to know what we'll be up for.

STL
25th October 2008, 12:03 AM
Those are great detailed answers. Thank you Hasbro AU! Very appreciated.

jacksplatt11
25th October 2008, 02:19 AM
Good to see they gave us some pretty detailed answers, I was half expecting yes/no answers.. Much appreciated..

Universe Special Editions for $35? $10 extra for a fancy box... Hmmm well I wasn't planning on getting them anyway so doesn't bother me :D

Kyle
25th October 2008, 09:57 AM
Great news on the Sunstorm figure! Starscream's clones in Animated crack me up and the toy mould is a very good one. (I like the automorph if it doesn't jam up all the time.) Besides him and Skywarp, fingers crossed they'll also release the other 3 clones in voyager size.

jaydisc
25th October 2008, 12:05 PM
I'd love to see the female one in Deluxe size. Or even Activator.

i_amtrunks
25th October 2008, 12:53 PM
Animated Sunstorm shall be interesting.

I think we have been spoiled by these answers, they are far more friendly and open that anything the US based sites got.

GoktimusPrime
25th October 2008, 08:56 PM
Yah... I'd rather see the Animated Starscream clones as Activators... getting them all as Voyagers would be expensive and take up more precious shelf space. :/

reillyd
25th October 2008, 08:56 PM
Shame about the battle scenes, although probably predictable after seeing them on clearance for $15 at Big W, and kmart clogged with them.

Great response from Hasbro, and thanks to Griffin for organizing it

MV75
25th October 2008, 09:07 PM
I'm surprised at the "in line with the USA" extra price over a regular deluxe for the special editions.

Remember that is something they couldn't get retail. :) Definitly got my interest in them now. :)

EDIT: I suppose we couldn't expect more from question 4.

It's not just a toy here or there, it's entire runs, and consistant to the point of expectation that it will have a sub-par finish.

Gutsman Heavy
25th October 2008, 10:27 PM
Very impressed with Hasbro's effort!

MV75
25th October 2008, 10:59 PM
Yea, overall it was great.

I suppose we should have worded Q9 a bit better to mention that the price they charge to international people is a killer and a turn off to joining, thus why we wanted to know about a local TFCC chapter. :)

And Q19&20 were very appreciated. I do wonder if they made a slip about sunstorm though as I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere else, and I don't recall it being in the cartoon, (yet).

Pulse
26th October 2008, 12:09 AM
<snip>

I do wonder if they made a slip about sunstorm though as I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere else, and I don't recall it being in the cartoon, (yet).

Wasn't his colour-scheme that of a clone?

http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/5/50/Sycophantscream-ABTF.jpg

griffin
26th October 2008, 01:02 AM
Just did some editting of the last 2 questions, so it is easier for me to refer to later.
It is indeed a good response from Hasbro. Let's hope this is something we can continue with for some time, at least, until we run out of questions (20 per month is a lot, once you ask most of the more common questions).
If the NZ fans don't end up getting something set up for them, and we run out of questions to submit after the first couple months, we could probably submit some on their behalf.

Q1 - Not surprising that they have something planned, but it will probably be secondary to promoting the movie.
Q2 - Naturally the next 12 months will be tied up, but if they actually do investigate the viability of an internationally themed line, it would be good to know that they take our suggestions on board.
Q3 - I'd think most mass-produced plastic products would be recyclable, but when I asked our local council a few years back (because of all the plastic packaging I trash), they said they could only recycle plastic that has the 'recycle triangle arrow symbol' on it somewhere, for the rubbish sorters to look for. So it's best to check with your local council, to see if they sort their plastics (each has a number in the triangle symbol, relating to the type of plastic - if it has no symbol/number, it could be trashed if they can't sort it), or if they recycle it all together.
Q4 - A fair enough response.
Q5 - I think it's good that we have some exposure to TakaraTomy product, no matter how limited it is. One or two per year is still better than nothing. But it could mean missing out on more US Hasbro exclusives, as stores here would be taking up the JP stuff in their limited lineup in place of US stuff.
Q6 - The response I'd expect in this first round. Maybe after a few submissions, and good behaviour from us, they might start sneaking in more info as a reward.
Q7 - A bit disappointing to hear it being pushed back, as I was getting my hopes up from Toyfair that we'd have an online store in AUS within a year. Not sure if the 'great Corporate roll-out' is good or bad thing for the foreign branches (could mean downsizing, which would affect our relation with them).
Q8 - I'll follow this up with a question about how Mr Toys Toworld got in 200 units of ALT Rodimus, and if they have a contact for us to organise other figures of similar quantity. Because if it just depends on a retailer taking on the burden, as Hasbro has said here, we can guarantee that minimum number just through this forum and ebay, and the retailer can still sell off a portion if they wanted, without the risk of being stuck with a large quantity on their own.
Q9 - No surprise here. Just means we are stuck with the high fees and postage costs of the official club, the lengthy delays in shipping, and subsidising the Americans who go to BotCon at a discounted rate (not many foreigners go to BotCon, to get that discounted rate, but pay the same membership fee to cover it).
Q10 - After remembering that Hasbro Toys are sent to countries of other languages, and the TakaraTomy toys are primarily meant for the JP market, it makes sense that the Hasbro paperwork and instructions need to limit the amount of wording on them.
Q11 - I'd highly doubt they ever will, as Hasbro is very protective of their properties, to make sure they are done to their standards. Even if Lego is said to be of a higher standard in the toy industry, I think Hasbro likes to keep things in-house. And I've heard that Hasbro's licensing fees are quite high, so it would be up to Lego to determine if it is worth the cost of it. I wouldn't care though, as Lego distorts the franchises it does, to the point that it isn't realistic enough for me to want to buy it.
Q12 - I really can't see Robot Points ever returning. It's just redundant if you can just be asked to send in the barcode or receipt as proof of purchase. As for a mail-away concept, depending on how much time and effort it takes for someone at Hasbro to process and ship out the items, it might not be something considered profitable enough to invest their time into.
Q13 - Still surprised that they are general release, and the price isn't so bad, considering the fancy packaging, and the way we get toys priced by size or its packaging.
Q14 - Good to have the advance notice. :)
Q15 - Fingers crossed.
Q16 - Oops, touched a nerve with that one...
Q17 - I think their willingness to find out more and get back to us later shows that they aren't just brushing us off with quick answers to our questions. This looks very optimistic.
Q18 - Was hoping more insight with this. It's hard to tell if the answer is from the designers who made the decisions, or just someone else guessing the obvious.
Q19 - Good news on the Ratchet and Lockdown recolours, but pity about the movie scene packs, as they will be expensive to buy and post to AUS.
The Voyager Sunstorm would be the first anyone's heard of it, if it does end up being true. Remember, it is 'to be confirmed' and may even be a mix up with Voyager Skywarp (because the other Voyager mentioned is a regular release at about the time of Skywarp).
Q20 - At least we haven't lost any more, but they've all been pushed back (maybe the factory closures in China delaying production perhaps?)

All in all, a very good response from Hasbro. I really do thank them for it, and appreciate it.

jaydisc
26th October 2008, 09:08 AM
Q3 - I'd think most mass-produced plastic products would be recyclable, but when I asked our local council a few years back (because of all the plastic packaging I trash), they said they could only recycle plastic that has the 'recycle triangle arrow symbol' on it somewhere, for the rubbish sorters to look for. So it's best to check with your local council, to see if they sort their plastics (each has a number in the triangle symbol, relating to the type of plastic - if it has no symbol/number, it could be trashed if they can't sort it), or if they recycle it all together.

One of the last places I lived at, the council info on recycling not only said that any plastic had to have the triangle, but furthermore, the triangle had to have a 2 or 3 in it.

The process of separating recyclables is quite intense and costly, so anyone blindly throwing anything they might think is recyclable could be causing more harm than good.

Kyle
26th October 2008, 10:28 AM
Shame about the battle scenes, although probably predictable after seeing them on clearance for $15 at Big W, and kmart clogged with them.

Great response from Hasbro, and thanks to Griffin for organizing it

I want the new Optimus/Bonecrusher one. :(

I know Optimus is just another repaint but the new one looks to have the most movie-accurate paint-app out of all the voyager versions.

Zippo
26th October 2008, 02:42 PM
Wow, those are really nice answers.

Regarding the whole New Zealand thing - a few members of the TFNZ forum are in contact with Hasbro New Zealand and we do get some answers to questions - normally stock arrival, but it is often quite vague.

griffin
26th October 2008, 05:52 PM
I guess you don't have the problem we have of adult collectors hounding Customer Service, to warrant a Q&A. As long as you have some sort of contact, for a bit of advance notice on stuff.

TheDirtyDigger
27th October 2008, 01:49 PM
4 - Are Hasbro aware of the noticeable increase in quality control issues (weak plastic, messy paint aps, etc) being found by collectors and even reported to Hasbro Customer service in the past, and if so, are there plans to rectify the problem or is this just a result of sourcing more affordable production methods to offset higher production costs (and as such, won't be changing any time soon)?[/FONT]

Yes we are aware that there has been a rise in collector complaints about certain Transformers products. We can assure you that all products are quality tested to strict controls and it is something that Hasbro prides itself on. Given the huge increase in volume we have experienced in the Transformers range the likelihood of certain products sometimes not meeting consumer expectations slightly increases, however we always try to service our customers needs when a problem arises.

That's our QC problem there in a nutshell. Too many collectors and fans now.
Can we ask people to stop collecting?

SilverDragon
27th October 2008, 06:30 PM
Sunstorm should be interesting.

dirge
27th October 2008, 07:55 PM
Can we ask people to stop collecting?

Stuart, stop collecting please...

:eek:

Golden Phoenix
28th October 2008, 08:55 AM
Hey hey, we made the news at TFW2005 (http://www.tfw2005.com/transformers-news/animated-8/hasbro-australia-q--a-for-october-2008-animated-sunstorm-figure-166082/)

TheDirtyDigger
28th October 2008, 10:15 AM
Stuart, stop collecting please...

:eek:

:( I meant everybody else....

Robzy
28th October 2008, 11:15 AM
Well done Hasbro... great responses! :)

Vector Sigma 13
28th October 2008, 04:52 PM
I am pretty happy with those responses.