PDA

View Full Version : OTCA Hot Keys

jaydisc
25th October 2008, 02:26 PM
Due to my browser's built-in shortcuts, Command-5 already takes me to OTCA. I usually just use the New Posts function to get caught up. I decided to take a look at the source code to see if there was a hot key for it, and there is. I found the following

Alt-1 - Home
Alt-2 - New Posts (w00t!)
Alt-3 - Show Quick Links (It would be great if you could use a secondary shortcut to choose something in this menu, but alas, that doesn't seem present, so this just toggles the visibility of the menu)
Alt-4 - Advanced Search
Alt-5 - FAQ (We have a FAQ? :D)
Alt-9 - Contact Us (send Griffin a message I suspect)

Also, when you're filling out a post or a PM:

Alt-R - Preview
Alt-S - Submit

Has anyone else found any others?

UPDATED
A couple of notes:
1. Mac users should use Ctrl instead of Alt
2. PC Firefox users should use Alt-Shift instead of Alt
2. For IE users, these shortcuts will simply highlight the option rather than triggering it. You would need to press return after each combo

jgon2098
25th October 2008, 05:46 PM
How does it work mate, i'm a cpu noob? i just tried all those commands, aint working for me. do i have to install some source code?

jaydisc
25th October 2008, 07:37 PM
Basically you can just hit those Key combos when you're on any page of OTCA. It might depend on what browser you are using. Internet Explorer is notorious for not supporting these kinds of thing, while Firefox is known for having great support.

Perhaps try holding Alt instead of Ctrl. Post back your results.

GoktimusPrime
25th October 2008, 07:45 PM
I'm using Firefox and none of those commands worked save for CTRL-R which refreshed the browser, but that's a Firefox shortcut. I tried using CTRL-ALT with those commands too and nothing happened.

dirge
25th October 2008, 07:48 PM
Try CTRL-ALT-DEL? ...

(works for me, Firefox 3 on MaxOS 10.5).

iceburn
25th October 2008, 07:53 PM
not working for me too...are the controls for Macs

jgon2098
25th October 2008, 08:09 PM
Try CTRL-ALT-DEL? ...

(works for me, Firefox 3 on MaxOS 10.5).

LOL!

MV75
25th October 2008, 09:16 PM
Ok yea, in IE, using alt instead as suggested, I noticed it didn't actually do the command, but it highlighted the command.

jaydisc
25th October 2008, 09:36 PM
Can a PC Firefox user test the combos with Alt instead of Ctrl?

EDIT: I've updated the 1st post to be a bit more PC/IE aware/friendly.

jgon2098
25th October 2008, 10:10 PM
I am a firefox 3 user on a vista machine. The codes have not worked as of now. Cheers

jaydisc
25th October 2008, 11:22 PM
Hmmmm.... I've just done some research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_keys)... and Firefox 2 required Alt-Shift plus the key (3 isn't mentioned). Try Alt-Shift.

jgon2098
25th October 2008, 11:28 PM
ALT-SHIFT WORKS!!! AWESOME JOB MATE!

Golden Phoenix
25th October 2008, 11:36 PM
Not working for me and I'm using the latest Firefox on Vista.

STL
26th October 2008, 12:37 AM
I'm on Opera, nothing works for me.

Vector Sigma 13
26th October 2008, 07:25 AM
Some work for me, some dont- im using Firefox 3 and Vista home basic.

GoktimusPrime
26th October 2008, 12:05 PM
Okay, those hot keys work now on my Firefox with the Alt-Shift combo. The Preview and Submit Hot Keys only work with full reply (not quick reply) and they only highly the preview and submit buttons, they don't actually press them.

Still cool though. :)