PDA

View Full Version : Should there be or will there be a red chest POTP Swoop?

Galvatran
28th January 2018, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know if PotP Dinobot Swoop will be released in a red version?

CHILENO20
28th January 2018, 07:21 PM
Does anyone know if PotP Dinobot Swoop will be released in a red version?

From all reports so far it won't. TakTom PotP's are going to be exactly the same from Hasbro. So unless there is a special edition down the track or an exclusive, it's not likely to happen.

GoktimusPrime
28th January 2018, 11:41 PM
If they re-released POTP Swoop with a red chest, should they still call it Swoop or something else?

I'm partial towards them naming it "Divebomb," but with the bio explaining that this is Swoop before he was defeated in battle by a Predacon who then stole his name, forcing Divebomb to later rename himself "Swoop." :D

prjkt
29th January 2018, 06:55 AM
The package art has him in red, so the design to go cartoon colours must have come pretty late in the design phase

UltraMarginal
29th January 2018, 10:09 AM
I will be super surprised if Hasbro passes up the opportunity for a simple repaint like that.

tinyJazz
29th January 2018, 11:38 AM
Good idea for a potential SDCC Dinobot set. Or even a HTS exclusive

Paulbot
29th January 2018, 01:56 PM
If I was going to be cyncial and tongue in cheek, I'd say this is a bad sign that Hasbro are going to compromise their toys to make them more appealing to the Japanese market.

;)

(But also I'm actually annoyed that this toy has a blue chest instead of red)

DELTAprime
29th January 2018, 04:33 PM
If I was going to be cyncial and tongue in cheek, I'd say this is a bad sign that Hasbro are going to compromise their toys to make them more appealing to the Japanese market.

;)

(But also I'm actually annoyed that this toy has a blue chest instead of red)

Oh don't remind me how much I hate the PP line being identical to the POTP line.

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2018, 05:18 PM
Oh don't remind me how much I hate the PP line being identical to the POTP line.
Do you also hate how Takara G1 was mostly identical to Hasbro's?
(e.g. Powerglide, Warpath, Convoy, the Dinobots, the Insecticons, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Ramjet, Dirge, Thrust, Skids, Ironhide, Ratchet, Smokescreen, Prowl, Streak, Grapple, Inferno, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Alert, Lambor, Sunstreaker, Ligier, Gong, Drag, Outback, Hubcap, Adams, Seaspray, Wheelie, Char, Hot Rodimus, Blurr, Cyclonus, Scourge, Wreck Gar, Ultra Magnus, Onslaught, Drag Stripe, Brawl, Razorclaw, Soundwave, Broadcast, Bumble, Meister, Galvatron, Chromedome, Blanker, Highbrow, Mega Zarak, Hardhead, Sureshot, Crosshairs, Triggerhappy, Slugslinger, Misfire, Wipe, Weirdwolf, Skull etc.)

Do you also hate how a lot of Takara G1 toys that were different characters from their Hasbro counterparts were identical to said Hasbro toys?
(e.g. Lander, Phoenix, Road King, Lightfoot, Turtler, Gulf, Kraken, Lobclaw, Sizzle, Boater, Fire, Holy, Peepoh, Blood, Gilmer, Dauros etc.)

Do you also hate how almost every Takara G2 toy is identical to Hasbro's?
(e.g. Megatron, Starscream, Battle Convoy, Hooligan, Aero Raid, Jetfire, Skyjack, Space Case, Strafe, Road Big, Road Rocket, Autovolt, Effectro, Firebot, Hot Row, Convoy, Dreadwing, Smokescreen etc.)

Do you also hate how most Takara Beast Wars toys are identical to Hasbro's?
(e.g. Convoy, Megatron, Rattle, Terrorsaurer, Waspeetar, Cheetus, Scorpos, White Claw, Armour, Snapper, Howlinger, Buzz Saw, Air Razar, Inferno, Cybershark, Convobat, Megalligator, Tarans, Kuwagaigar, Dinobot, etc.)

Do you also hate how some TF Prime toys were identical to their Hasbro counterparts?
(e.g. FE Arcee, Starscream etc.)

I need to start hating my G1 Takara Sling (Slingshot) and Groove more, as they are identical to their Hasbro counterparts! *shakes fist* *yells at cloud* :p

DarkHyren
29th January 2018, 06:07 PM
If they re-released POTP Swoop with a red chest, should they still call it Swoop or something else?

I'm partial towards them naming it "Divebomb," but with the bio explaining that this is Swoop before he was defeated in battle by a Predacon who then stole his name, forcing Divebomb to later rename himself "Swoop." :DDivebomb is a good option but instead of saying that he's who Swoop used to be I'd just say he's this Divebomb from TFPrime: http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Divebomb_(Prime)

griffin
29th January 2018, 07:25 PM
With POTP Predaking coming this year, Hasbro wouldn't call it Divebomb... unless it was a really really limited exclusive for something like BotCon, so that it wouldn't confuse people who don't know the back story and would wonder why there are two Divebomb toys for sale this year at a retailer, or online store, or HasbroToyShop with different allegiances.

griffin
29th January 2018, 07:35 PM
(e.g. Powerglide, Warpath, Convoy, the Dinobots, the Insecticons, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Ramjet, Dirge, Thrust, Skids, Ironhide, Ratchet, Smokescreen, Prowl, Streak, Grapple, Inferno, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Alert, Lambor, Sunstreaker, Ligier, Gong, Drag, Outback, Hubcap, Adams, Seaspray, Wheelie, Char, Hot Rodimus, Blurr, Cyclonus, Scourge, Wreck Gar, Ultra Magnus, Onslaught, Drag Stripe, Brawl, Razorclaw, Soundwave, Broadcast, Bumble, Meister, Galvatron, Chromedome, Blanker, Highbrow, Mega Zarak, Hardhead, Sureshot, Crosshairs, Triggerhappy, Slugslinger, Misfire, Wipe, Weirdwolf, Skull etc.)

Do you also hate how a lot of Takara G1 toys that were different characters from their Hasbro counterparts were identical to said Hasbro toys?
(e.g. Lander, Phoenix, Road King, Lightfoot, Turtler, Gulf, Kraken, Lobclaw, Sizzle, Boater, Fire, Holy, Peepoh, Blood, Gilmer, Dauros etc.)

(e.g. Megatron, Starscream, Battle Convoy, Hooligan, Aero Raid, Jetfire, Skyjack, Space Case, Strafe, Road Big, Road Rocket, Autovolt, Effectro, Firebot, Hot Row, Convoy, Dreadwing, Smokescreen etc.)

(e.g. Convoy, Megatron, Rattle, Terrorsaurer, Waspeetar, Cheetus, Scorpos, White Claw, Armour, Snapper, Howlinger, Buzz Saw, Air Razar, Inferno, Cybershark, Convobat, Megalligator, Tarans, Kuwagaigar, Dinobot, etc.)

Do you also hate how some TF Prime toys were identical to their Hasbro counterparts?

I need to start hating my G1 Takara Sling (Slingshot) and Groove more, as they are identical to their Hasbro counterparts! *shakes fist* *yells at cloud* :p

That's not really fair.
He, like many of us, are annoyed that the recent trend of improved or alternative colours on Japanese releases of Hasbro toys, looks to be coming to an end.
Whether it happened before or not, it has been a reliable element for at least 15 years, or about half of Transformers' history, to have that alternative option if the Hasbro versions don't tickle your fancy, or seem a little bland.

For me... on the one hand I like looking forward to the extra detailing or more accurate homage to something pre-existing, and buy the ones that really stand out or are completely new (that Hasbro didn't release)... while on the other hand I have dreaded when whole toylines are worth buying in addition to the Hasbro versions, just because they were so different or looked so good.

griffin
29th January 2018, 07:43 PM
(I noticed that two different topics at the same time were talking about if there will be, or should be, a red chested POTP Swoop, so I've grouped them altogether into this new discussion topic)

DELTAprime
29th January 2018, 07:52 PM

That's not really fair.
He, like many of us, are annoyed that the recent trend of improved or alternative colours on Japanese releases of Hasbro toys, looks to be coming to an end.
Whether it happened before or not, it has been a reliable element for at least 15 years, or about half of Transformers' history, to have that alternative option if the Hasbro versions don't tickle your fancy, or seem a little bland.

For me... on the one hand I like looking forward to the extra detailing or more accurate homage to something pre-existing, and buy the ones that really stand out or are completely new (that Hasbro didn't release)... while on the other hand I have dreaded when whole toylines are worth buying in addition to the Hasbro versions, just because they were so different or looked so good.

Yeah what Griff said.

prjkt
29th January 2018, 08:05 PM
Having never had the G1 Swoop bot, and him being my favourite Dinobot as a kid (rented Desertion of the Dinobots on VHS every few weeks) I am actually really happy he has a blue chest

Paulbot
29th January 2018, 08:24 PM
Hasbro could have released the toy with a red chest called Swoop and a blue chest named Strafe.

Sure there was a CW Strafe but there's also people out there who know the blue flying Dinobot as Strafe.

GoktimusPrime
29th January 2018, 08:56 PM
I personally don't think that we are entitled to having variations between Hasbro and Takara(TOMY). :/ Also, we know that TakaraTOMY have long had their online survey (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=201), with one of the questions asking consumers what they like about the toy, so perhaps this change has been done in response to what respondents have said. I know a few Japanese fans who prefer the Hasbro versions of some toys because they favour toy-accuracy over show-likeness. I got my LG Nightbird by doing a swap at a fan meet in Japan for a TR Hardhead. This fan had passed up on the locally available LG Hardhead in favour of getting a TR Hardhead from me. :) And I saw loose Combiner Wars figures in Tokyo selling at pretty steep prices! :eek:

It may also be indicative that Hasbro just doing such a good job with a lot of toys recently that there's not much for TakaraTOMY to improve on. Take Beachcomber for example. There's not a whole lot more that they could do to make this toy look better than it already does. And a show-like blue chested Swoop is exactly what TakaraTOMY would've done anyway, because they typically favour show-likeness over toy-accuracy. I personally would've preferred that Hasbro gave us a toy-accurate red-chest Swoop and let TakaraTOMY produce a show-like blue-chested Swoop. Then Japanese fans could complain about how TakaraTOMY have failed them yet again on toy-accuracy.

prjkt: it wasn't just the toy, Swoop was also red chest in the comics, story books etc. - basically every G1 medium aside from the cartoon. But I suppose the cartoon is the most popular format which is what they're obviously catering for.

DELTAprime
29th January 2018, 11:02 PM
You don't get it Gok. Not everyone likes having toy accurate colours like you do. Not everyone thinks Transformers are over priced like you do. Not everyone thinks the quality of the Hasbro releases are acceptable like you do.

To have the choice of a premium quality, G1 cartoon accurate, non-third party toy taken away is not good for anyone.

Up until now thanks to the internet I've been able to choose to buy that premium figure, now I don't have a choice. And before you say something like "well the Japanese didn't have that choice..." they have the internet in Japan, there is nothing stopping them from hopping on BBTS and buying Hasbro product just like I hop on HLJ and buy Japanese product.

Choice is better in the end.

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2018, 09:53 AM
To have the choice of a premium quality, G1 cartoon accurate, non-third party toy taken away is not good for anyone.

(snip)

Choice is better in the end.
Sure. I understand that it's preferable but I personally don't think that it's a due entitlement. Seeing the lack of variation just makes me think, oh, okay. Maybe a missed opportunity but I'm not going to get upset over it. It may be unfortunate but not upsetting. And that's how I feel about blue chested Swoop. :)

griffin
30th January 2018, 10:03 AM
The Gen1 cartoon has so much to answer for... we wouldn't have the whole Rumble/Frenzy debate if it wasn't for the cartoon not matching the toys.
A cartoon fan at Hasbro was probably responsible for Swoop's colours, like we saw with recent Rumble and Frenzy toys swapping colours.

GoktimusPrime
30th January 2018, 10:09 AM
I don't begrudge Hasbro's choice to give Swoop a show-like blue chest or show-like eyes (instead of a toy-accurate visor). A lot of fans prefer show-likeness and Hasbro are giving what the majority of fans want. While I prefer toy-accuracy I know that I'm in a minority.

UltraMarginal
30th January 2018, 10:24 AM
Good idea for a potential SDCC Dinobot set. Or even a HTS exclusive

I would go out of my way to hunt down a SDCC set of Dinobots with a metallic silver paint and delivered in the ark playset box they used a few years ago.

Bidoofdude
30th January 2018, 03:36 PM
The Gen1 cartoon has so much to answer for... we wouldn't have the whole Rumble/Frenzy debate if it wasn't for the cartoon not matching the toys.
A cartoon fan at Hasbro was probably responsible for Swoop's colours, like we saw with recent Rumble and Frenzy toys swapping colours.

I don’t think there’s much of a Frumble debate anymore, most fans seemingly get that the colours for either one are exclusive to each fiction or toy.

e.g cartoon Rumble is blue because he is in the cartoon, while the titans return red and black guy is Rumble because it says that on the packaging.

I’d say they probably went with blue Swoop because it’d be the most popular.

griffin
30th January 2018, 05:58 PM
Admittedly, my comment above was tongue in cheek... what I was alluding to with Rumble/Frenzy is that the original US cartoon was the odd one out until the end of the 20th century (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/FIRRIB), but since the US cartoon had the biggest impact on early fans (bringing characters to life more than the comic and toys do on their own), when those fans started making their way into official positions (at Hasbro, Dreamwave, IDW, etc), blue Rumbles and red Frenzys started showing up after about 2002 as toys (http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Rumble_(WFC)) and in comics (see next paragraph), because those fans wanted toys or comics to match/homage the cartoon characters they grew up with.
(amusingly though, it sounds like there are fans of both at IDW and they can't keep the colours consistent in the IDW-verse, as it is noted at the link above that the colours keep changing, depending on who is doing the issue)
Since the original cartoon in Japan was dubbed to have Rumble as the red one (fixing the animation error of the US cartoon), they never had the debate over there, and I believe, all of their various Rumble toys over the years have been red.
But it is ironic though that TakaraTomy has been the one doing their toys to match cartoon colours (particularly during the Legends line), but since they corrected the Rumble/Frenzy error, they aren't likely to ever do a blue Rumble/red Frenzy toy.
(and I'm a toy fan first, so Rumble is always red to me... and I generally ignore animation errors, which this was one)

But when in doubt, there is always this classic solution to the problem (http://www.lilformers.com/blog/comics/2007-03-20.jpg).

In relation to Swoop, I honestly didn't notice that he was blue in the cartoon until someone pointed it out to me in the late 90s. I guess it wasn't as obvious as Rumble/Frenzy, as he wasn't in a lot of episodes (and him and Snarl came in late).
As such, I just don't know if there is that much demand or appeal for a blue Swoop as the regular edition... as I think it would have made more sense to have the blue version as a limited edition redeco. (we wouldn't have had as many people asking about a blue Swoop if it had been done red)

dirge
30th January 2018, 08:11 PM
I don't care whether his chest is red OR blue - I'm just happy we're finally getting the rest of the Dinobots in the Classicsverse...

CHILENO20
31st January 2018, 01:12 PM
I don't care whether his chest is red OR blue - I'm just happy we're finally getting the rest of the Dinobots in the Classicsverse...

This :D

BigTransformerTrev
31st January 2018, 01:36 PM
I don't begrudge Hasbro's choice to give Swoop a show-like blue chest or show-like eyes (instead of a toy-accurate visor). A lot of fans prefer show-likeness and Hasbro are giving what the majority of fans want. While I prefer toy-accuracy I know that I'm in a minority.

Likewise - it's one of the few cases where I would have preferred toy accuracy over cartoon accuracy as a red chest would have made his colour scheme fit in with the rest of the dinos. That said it doesn't really bother me too much and I'm quite pleased with him (http://www.bigangrytrev.com/toys-review-potp-dinobots-wave-1/) :)

I could possibly be persuaded to buy another version if it came in red but I'd have to decide if it was worth it when the time came.

Trent
31st January 2018, 02:08 PM
Not everyone thinks Transformers are over priced like you do.

I would strongly argue that those people are letting their emotions and desires cloud their understanding of the value of money. But that's just me. If you think $80 for a leader class toy is good value, then that's great.

Not everyone thinks the quality of the Hasbro releases are acceptable like you do.

Percieved quality is subjective and almost always requires context. I assume you thought the previous lines Takara releases were of a higher "quality"?

^This man gets it.

Ploughmans Lunch
31st January 2018, 02:49 PM
Special edition UW set with red-chested Swoop, G2 Grimlock/Slag/Snarl, and some other kind of Sludge (Diaclone maybe? I know there are G2 versions of Swoop and Sludge but idk this'd be funnier. )

Bidoofdude
31st January 2018, 05:21 PM
I would personally love some Shattered Glass Dinobots. Grimlock in Trypticon colours, Swoop in Divebomb colours, Snarl in Slugfest colours (the best cassette bot). Couldn’t think of schemes for Sludge or Slug though.

GoktimusPrime
31st January 2018, 09:02 PM
Sludge in Rairyuu colours and Slag in Kakuryuu colours?