PDA

View Full Version : Transformers Cinematic Universe

reillyd
17th February 2018, 02:06 AM
I checked. It's not April 1. Transformers movie universe is dead, with no TF6.
Guess Bay finally broke it. Read more from http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/02/16/transformers-cinematic-universe-current-movie-series-rebooted-358641

DaptoDog
17th February 2018, 07:01 AM
This is pretty shocking. I think most people were over these so it's probably for the best. Give it a few years off and come back with something better.

Mr_K
17th February 2018, 10:00 AM
Very exciting news!

Bartrim
17th February 2018, 11:04 AM
This is probably for the best. I really enjoyed the first movie and did my best to support the franchise but when I was watching The Last Knight, I was thinking this needs to be put out to pasture. If they reboot they should plan a giant story arc so there no contradictions in the plot... as a start. There are many other issues that need to be addressed too.

DELTAprime
17th February 2018, 11:06 AM
I just hope when they reboot the series it's a full new creative team.

SMHFConvoy
17th February 2018, 11:27 AM
I just hope when they reboot the series it's a full new creative team.

From the sounds of it, the Bumblebee Movie will be the 1st entry in the new movies. Kubo and the Two Strings was an awesome movie, I just hope the director isn't like Andrew Stanton or Brad Bird, who made the jump from animation to live action and sort of flatline.

Hopefully he's more like Tim Miller who made Deadpool (no I'm not after an R rated TF movie, just after a good TF movie.)

Handsprime
17th February 2018, 11:30 AM
You know they could've just ended the films at Dark of the Moon, but no they had to make 2 more films which were awful and end them with a Cliffhanger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEncdhmJhHM

griffin
17th February 2018, 11:43 AM
After all of the talk over the last year about should it be rebooted after the mess of TF5 (and arguably the 2 or 3 before that), this actually doesn't surprise me. I know that Bay doesn't worry about story continuity, as he focusses on making each movie the best stand alone action-explosion movie possible... but the creative team (writers, producers, directors) that now have to create stories around all the contradictions and plot holes of the past, because they would want to focus on their movie having a good story that makes sense to the audience (who shouldn't need to be distracted by special effects every five seconds just to get past a bad scene or story element).

And when Hasbro announced a combined cinematic universe, it was always going to be a pretty good chance that they would include their most successful brand (Transformers) in some way... now they can, if down the track, it is rebooted as a new alien threat in that series of HCU movies (first contact with the earth, who would now have special military teams (GIJoe) and maybe an earlier alien threat (if one of the other HCU movies gets done before the next TFs) to be prepared for a massive alien robot invasion.

As much as I would have like to see where the Bay-verse was going with Unicron, I just didn't see it having much potential as the core of the Earth... because fans would want to see him transform, and that certainly wouldn't happen without destroying the planet. (but I'm sure Bay would have made it possible to repair the earth with some sort of Cybertronian gadget, as if nothing had happened).

I'm sad that it means that the first two movies now also have to be lost in the new Transformers universe (or HCU), but if it means a clean slate to rework a new story foundation (like the original cartoon bible), then it can't be worse than what we got from Bay.
I'd just be worried that if Transformers is part of the HCU, and the HCU fails, it will affect Transformers as well.

DELTAprime
17th February 2018, 04:38 PM
Ok, so I've looked at who is working on the Bee movie. With Bay and Lorenzo both working on the movie as producers I hope they are just there to collect paychecks and not actually making any decisions.

I better not go see the movie in cinemas even if it gets a great score on Rotten Tomatoes though, because every time I see a certain currently unnamed character on screen I'll want to chant "JOHN CENA SUUUUCKS!!!".:p

Paulbot
17th February 2018, 05:02 PM
I was only half joking speculating earlier today that a reboot of the Transformers movie line and the Hasbro purchase of Power Rangers might give us a Masterforce move! A group of humans given master-braces to control giant transforming robots? It could happen.

DELTAprime
17th February 2018, 06:05 PM
I was only half joking speculating earlier today that a reboot of the Transformers movie line and the Hasbro purchase of Power Rangers might give us a Masterforce move! A group of humans given master-braces to control giant transforming robots? It could happen.

OMG! I had no idea Hasbro bought the Power Rangers. I wonder what this means for the relationship between Super Sentai and Power Rangers?

Now if Hasbro would buy Takara and Disney would buy Hasbro then all my favourite non-gaming IPs except Lego would be under one roof.:p

Ralph Wiggum
17th February 2018, 06:06 PM
Oh thank goodness, they can stop flogging that poor dead horse.

griffin
17th February 2018, 06:44 PM
Just to clarify - Hasbro didn't buy Power Rangers (Saban), they just won the toy license from 2019, which is when Bandai's license ends.

DELTAprime
17th February 2018, 07:08 PM
I just looked at what Bandai makes in the western toy market. Power Rangers seems to be by far their biggest line. Big Hero 6 seems to be their second biggest but it's a tiny line compared to Power Rangers.

I guess it must have become cheaper for Saban to get Hasbro to make new moulds for each years toyline than just reusing previous years Bandai Super Sentai moulds.

I guess I better buy the Legacy Falconzord and Legacy Ninjazord soon as they are probably never going to reissue them.

G1Optimal
17th February 2018, 07:18 PM
Just to clarify - Hasbro didn't buy Power Rangers (Saban), they just won the toy license from 2019, which is when Bandai's license ends.

From what i heard , hasbro have the right to buy the franchise outright

Paulbot
18th February 2018, 02:55 AM
From what i heard , hasbro have the right to buy the franchise outright

Also what I had read; that they were taking over the franchise (from a western perspective)

Magnus
18th February 2018, 04:08 PM
I've enjoyed all the movies for one reason or another, and The Last Knight seemed to be hinting at a new direction, so if this is true, I'm kind of bummed.

I'm hoping that 'reset' means 'new focus' or different creative direction with the existing material and not a story/lore reset. Michael Bay did say that the writers' room had generated some 14 stories.

Thurmus
18th February 2018, 04:33 PM
I'm hoping the reset will allow Jazz, Ironhide, Ratchet etc to come back.

G1Optimal
18th February 2018, 05:48 PM
Also what I had read; that they were taking over the franchise (from a western perspective)

Oh ok.

In other news
John Warden Comments On Transformers Movie Franchise Future
http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/02/18/john-warden-comments-transformers-movie-franchise-future-359410

DELTAprime
18th February 2018, 06:51 PM
^ Well that's a confusing set of quotes.

What Hasbro said at the investors day is most likely correct though. If they said the series is getting rebooted at the investors day and it actually wasn't then that would open them up to shareholder lawsuits.

BigTransformerTrev
19th February 2018, 09:17 AM
Would have liked to see the Unicron/Quintessa storyline play out - besides that I have no real regrets seeing this universe end. It had a good run - including the upcoming Bbee one, 6 movies is a respectable amount.

Optimus has come back to life and so has Megatron. Most of the other big name Con's had been used and killed (Starscream, Soundwave, Shockwave, Galvatron (sorta)) so they were going to be struggling to find other big name bad guys who were recognizable to more than just the hardcore fans. Don't think many besides the really committed TF fans would know who Bludgeon or Thunderwing or Overlord are.

I think it came home to me when I got my TF5 Blu Ray in the mail, watched it once then put it away and realized I may never watch it again. Not that I hated it, I just had no real interest.

Plus the toyline hasn't been spectacular in recent years. TF2 had an amazing toyline and there were a lot of good ones from TF3 as well. However the TF4 ones were too simplistic and TF5 - where are all the toys of the characters that were in the film? Instead we get another Slash etc. It's a bit like they forgot how to cash in on a film. And I had no interest in getting yet another Bbee camero or Optimus in his current truck mode (though I do have a TT Nemesis Prime on preorder).

I think a few years break between the Bbee movie and the reboot will be good for the live action franchise, it may result in renewed interest from the general populace.

Starscream77
19th February 2018, 11:31 AM
Oh dang it, I was really looking forward to how much worse Bay could make it after The Last Knight. No more rewriting history and TF's with giant metal balls then I guess :(

Lord_Zed
19th February 2018, 10:53 PM
I didn't see the last movie, nor did I want too, but honestly the last 3 seemed pretty damn awful.

While I look forward to a reboot, it's not a magic bullet for the franchise they'll have to do something special to get people on board again.