PDA

View Full Version : Scathing Review for Hasbro 25th prime

i_amtrunks
27th October 2008, 10:20 AM
Not sure how many of you here frequent the Seibertron.com website, but I am sure many of you have come across the Seibertron Galleries at one stage or another.

Ryan, the owner of Seibertron, (and who is responsible for all those galleries) has just taken pictures of the upcoming 25th Anniversary Re-issue of G1 Optimus Prime, and the reports are not all that good:
Short revised review (http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=45956).

For those who do not want to click the link:
This reissue of Optimus Prime is, without a doubt, THE worst official reissue ever as far as authenticity and quality goes.

If you want to buy this figure to keep in the package, I would highly recommend it. If you're looking to buy your first G1 Optimus Prime figure, you should stay as far away from this figure as possible. I'll write more once the gallery has been posted tomorrow.

This should sum up my thoughts: I've seen knock offs of Optimus Prime that are of higher quality than this version. I feel kind of guilty that I'm going to write such a negative review of a figure since I know so many people at Hasbro (which is a big part of the reason why I don't write reviews), but something has to be said so that my fellow Seibertronians don't waste their money on this figure.

I was really looking forward to Hasbro's 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime. I'm an owner of 5 Optimus Prime reissues, the G2 version and my original G1 version from my childhood. This is my 7th version of the original Optimus Prime mold and this is by far THE worst version of this mold. You're better off spending your money on an Encore reissue or one of the other reissues. Shame on Hasbro for passing this poor representation off as the 25th anniversary version of the legendary Optimus Prime toy!!!

"Big Deal" you might be thinking to yourself, well it kind of is, Ryan, is a well know Hasbro sympathiser, often siding with Hasbro and standing up for them when users of Seibertron.com go on a rage against them. In the same thread, he goes on to do just that (for un-related issues mind you).

You can see his gallery of 25th Prime here (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/classics/optimus-prime-25th-anniversary/1598/). He has comparison images with the Encore release on Convoy, which has it's own gallery here (http://www.seibertron.com/transformers/toys/encore/optimus-prime/1602/).

I originally wanted the Encore version, but left it to get this version, since it would be available in local markets, but with the pics and Ryan's report I'll be leaving the figure on the shelf when it gets released.

STL
27th October 2008, 10:47 AM
So what's wrong with it? I trust Ryan entirely but I'd really like to know what the issues with it are.

Hereticpoo
27th October 2008, 11:00 AM
I checked out the pics and the colours seem really washed out. There's gaps between the forearms and windscreen in Truck mode. Those colours are terrible. Its as if its been left in the sun or hasbro watered down the paint to save the shareholders 2c per unit. Yuk, I hope its just the photo quality...

i_amtrunks
27th October 2008, 11:15 AM
So what's wrong with it? I trust Ryan entirely but I'd really like to know what the issues with it are.

Ryan states that having a Pink Prime is his main problem. The bone trailer and blue Roller don't help either.
His figure also had some minor QC issues with the left arm and a leg that required him to take apart the figure, but he wasn't too upset with the small fix he needed to make to the arm (and he has to live with the minor leg flaw).
I think he did not like the overall quality of the plastic either, but he doesn't really go into much detail.

And then to have the Encore version to contrast and compare right next to the 25th Anniversary version did Pinkimus Prime no favours, I'm sure.

On a brighter note, the voicebox thing is Peter Cullen's voice, not the call-in janitor that did the voicebox quotes with the last 20th prime repaint.

STL
27th October 2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for that. I only ever was probably going to buy it for the displayability of the packaging. I'm happy w/ my 2 Primes already. I'm more interested in getting the TFC version but that's pricey these days courtesy of the crashing $ so it'll have to wait.

... did Pinkimus Prime no favours, I'm sure.

Now that is gold! I'm going to get one just so I can call it Pinkimus. No, really! :D

griffin
27th October 2008, 12:37 PM
Disappointing, but not really surprised with how cost-cutting has affected product quality lately, but maybe some of the colour variations could be intentional. Hasbro have said before that they make sure they make noticible changes to re-releases, to prevent collectors of rare or expensive figures losing too much value in their items (they don't really care, but if two options cost the same and expected to sell the sam, and one option will have them abused by the loud minority of serious collectors, they just go for the other). But in this case, colour change of the robot is not likely to be intentional, as Optimus is iconically red, and Hasbro could easily give it some other *discrete* variant, like datestamp or eye colour.

I was planning to get this figure, to keep sealed for display (I actually don't have any short-stacked G1 Primes to show non-fans how Hasbro neutered him), so I'm not too fussed about shoddy joints, but hopefully the colour isn't too obviously off through the box window.

Pulse
27th October 2008, 01:40 PM
That is a real shame... :(

I mean, This is G1 Prime (a legendary figure among Transfans) & they give us a 2nd-rate version for the 25th Anniv? *shakes head*

jacksplatt11
27th October 2008, 01:45 PM
Yeah doesn't look too good, I mean pink? hmmm... And again with the short smoke-stacks, I know its for child safety blah blah but it just doesn't look right..

I wasn't planning on getting it and now I guess I definitely won't

GoktimusPrime
27th October 2008, 06:09 PM
...I'm so glad I'm not in need of a G1 Prime toy. If anyone does, go get an Encore asap. The after-market price for Encore Convoy might rise once more negative reviews of 25th Prime start circulating around the net.

Lint
27th October 2008, 06:42 PM
Hasbro, keeping knockoff makers in business

kup
27th October 2008, 06:59 PM
Hasbro, keeping knockoff makers in business

well its a real shame when the knock off is of better quality.

liegeprime
27th October 2008, 08:21 PM
Hmmm makes me wanna buy an Encore one. Didnt know the encore had the big fat gun I was looking for plus a silver roller and more darker hues not KOey paintjob like the 25th. Pass on the 25th as well. They #^^%$ again with the freaking long missles!!! then stubbles for smokestacks, KOey color paint, common variant gun, even the extra add ons are not a saving grace for it at all.

There isn't even a Matrix which SHOULD've been the primary Add-on to the basic figure.

iceburn
27th October 2008, 08:22 PM
Hmmm makes me wanna buy an Encore one. Didnt know the encore had the big fat gun I was looking for plus a silver roller and more darker hues not KOey paintjob like the 25th. Pass on the 25th as well. They #^^%$ again with the freaking long missles!!! then stubbles for smokestacks, KOey color paint, common variant gun, even the extra add ons are not a saving grace for it at all.

ahh come on..how can you pass on prime! *hehe*

Pulse
27th October 2008, 08:27 PM

lol :D

You can when you've got too many of the same figure... :) (How many G1 Primes have you got now Icy? ;))

Vector Sigma 13
27th October 2008, 08:39 PM
Dissapointing- I was looking forward to this one.

GoktimusPrime
27th October 2008, 08:45 PM
I agree that every G1 TF collector ought to have some version of the original 1984 Optimus Prime - but I've never been impressed with any of the Hasbro reissues of this mould. Especially when they cost more than the Takara reissues too. The first TRU Hasbro reissue of Prime was basically the same price as Takara's 2000 reissue - despite the fact that the value of the Australian Dollar was even weaker than it is right now!

The newtered smoke-stacks and oversized missiles alone made me and many other fans spit chips... but it seems like the 25th Prime is just adding insult to injury. They've actually succeeded in taking a gelato (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/human-excrement-found-in-free-gelato/2008/10/25/1224351608023.html) reissue and making it more gelato (http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/human-excrement-found-in-free-gelato/2008/10/25/1224351608023.html)!

kup
27th October 2008, 09:24 PM
After this its very hard to argue that Hasbro takes pride in its releases. However what I don't understand is the obsession which bright fluro type colors. Why does Hasbro Prime need to be always that Pinkish red? The DVD MP Prime had that color too. I can't believe that this color would be any cheaper than the traditional red so its just a stupid decision.

GoktimusPrime
27th October 2008, 10:04 PM
The comparative shots between 25th Prime and Encore Convoy are remarkable...

Left: Encore, Right: 25th
http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/39/r_25thoptimusprime177.jpg

Left: 25th, Right: Encore
http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/39/r_25thoptimusprime245.jpg

...and the paint apps. on the head looks sloppy (and gives a "KO" appearance). Here's Seibertron's close-up of 25th Prime's head, note the yellow 'bleeding' outside the eyes
http://www.seibertron.com/images/toys/files/39/r_25thoptimusprime211.jpg

Here's a pic I took of my 2000 Takara reissue Convoy - cleaner paint app (I imagine Encore Convoy's would be of similar quality)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/goktimusprime/Transformers/Laser%20Magnus%20Photo%20Manga/photocomic_lasermagnusjp02.jpg

dirge
27th October 2008, 10:23 PM
Hmmm. 25th Prime appears vermilion. Even reissue Tackle (http://www.cliffbee.com/reviews/machtackle.php) wasn't vermilion! :rolleyes:

The colour of Roller needs to be taken in context - many Prime toys down the years have come with a blue Roller toy. But the vermilion shade is... difficult to defend.

Tallestblue
28th October 2008, 01:53 AM
Weren't they going to start using the Anime accurate head from iPodimus? Or do we just haveta buy that version and Encore convoy for the accurate trailer AND 25th anniversary Optimus for the lighty flashy Autobot symbol thingy if we want a decent 25th Anniversary toy?

Oh wait. That's the scam isn't it?

Kyle
28th October 2008, 12:25 PM
Weren't they going to start using the Anime accurate head from iPodimus? Or do we just haveta buy that version and Encore convoy for the accurate trailer AND 25th anniversary Optimus for the lighty flashy Autobot symbol thingy if we want a decent 25th Anniversary toy?

Oh wait. That's the scam isn't it?

iPodimus is beautiful~!

http://www.hk-tf.com/discuz/upload/attachments/month_0808/20080814_59763df679d946da67f0H6PPQEKoDLPE.jpg

(Megatron gun is from TF Collection Starscream. Matrix is from Reissue Galvatron.)

(Also please ignore the dust.)

loophole
28th October 2008, 09:28 PM
They put too much white tinter in Primes' red!! it looks soo washed out and yuck:eek:

FFN
2nd December 2008, 11:18 PM
I finally saw this toy in person today, and it doesn't look as bad as everybody is making out. You'll all live.

iceburn
2nd December 2008, 11:29 PM
lol :D

You can when you've got too many of the same figure... :) (How many G1 Primes have you got now Icy? ;))

Original G1 Prime (incomplete...but should be 99% when TF76 comes back)
Reissue Prime (not sure if it's commemorative)
Encore Prime
G2 Prime
25th Anniversary Prime with DVD/Comic
25th Anniversary Prime with Comic (probably refunding this i think to get some money back)

jacksplatt11
2nd December 2008, 11:34 PM
You'll all live.

What if I don't though? I'm going to hold you to that

I'm gonna be mighty annoyed if I don't live :mad:

blackie
2nd December 2008, 11:43 PM
Original G1 Prime (incomplete...but should be 99% when TF76 comes back)
Reissue Prime (not sure if it's commemorative)
Encore Prime
G2 Prime
25th Anniversary Prime with DVD/Comic
25th Anniversary Prime with Comic (probably refunding this i think to get some money back)

the sadest thing for me is have none :'(

Golden Phoenix
2nd December 2008, 11:50 PM
the sadest thing for me is have none :'(

*Plays sad tune on violin*

Pulse
2nd December 2008, 11:51 PM
You can never have enough G1 Primes, Ay Icey? :D

the saddest thing for me is have none :'(

Not even an Encore (http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=Category&II=TFECR01&lang=us&CatID=1_55)?

SilverDragon
3rd December 2008, 07:27 AM
After this its very hard to argue that Hasbro takes pride in its releases. However what I don't understand is the obsession which bright fluro type colors. Why does Hasbro Prime need to be always that Pinkish red? The DVD MP Prime had that color too. I can't believe that this color would be any cheaper than the traditional red so its just a stupid decision.

Simple: Bright colours attract kids. Kids are who Hasbro usually wants for customers.

But that logic isn't really applicable to this, which is very much aimed at adult collectors rather than the younger audience.

blackie
3rd December 2008, 07:35 AM
Not even an Encore (http://www.robotkingdom.com/services/eshop/main.php?action=details&CatType=Category&II=TFECR01&lang=us&CatID=1_55)?

nope, never got round to getting one while the dollar was high :(

MV75
3rd December 2008, 08:22 AM
I finally saw this toy in person today, and it doesn't look as bad as everybody is making out. You'll all live.

Although I havn't seen it in person, going from the pictures, it's not that bad. I agree, people will live. It's still red to me, I don't see the pink. Sure the trailer could be darker, but meh. I still won't get it due to it being so neutered, and the fact I already own the commemorative version, and thus see the more value in getting the encore version over hasbro versions.

But the worst part of the whole review at the start of the thread is that at least they get the nicer packaged version with the dvd that looks great in box. We get stooged with a flat side packed version that sucks in comparison for even keeping it misb on display.

Simple: Bright colours attract kids. Kids are who Hasbro usually wants for customers.

But that logic isn't really applicable to this, which is very much aimed at adult collectors rather than the younger audience.

No, brand/character recognition is what attracts kids. I remember we used to have a whole crapload of dark coloured and realistically coloured toys as kids and they sold just fine.

FFN
3rd December 2008, 07:34 PM
After this its very hard to argue that Hasbro takes pride in its releases. However what I don't understand is the obsession which bright fluro type colors. Why does Hasbro Prime need to be always that Pinkish red? The DVD MP Prime had that color too. I can't believe that this color would be any cheaper than the traditional red so its just a stupid decision. I believe the brighter colours are supposed to be more cartoony. That's not fluro, btw.

kup
3rd December 2008, 07:50 PM
I believe the brighter colours are supposed to be more cartoony.

It fails:

http://r3v.com/images/Optimus_Prime_truck.jpg

roller
3rd December 2008, 07:50 PM
its Mardi Gras prime!!

Pulse
3rd December 2008, 07:56 PM
I can't believe Hasbro stuffed up so badly on this 25th Anniv Prime... *shakes head*

I mean, He's a flagship toy & on his 25th Anniv, Look what they did to him?!

It baffles me how they gave pink-imus Prime the ok... Are they colourblind or something?! :confused:

jaydisc
3rd December 2008, 08:00 PM
That pic has obviously been doctored. Here's a more color accurate version:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/pinkimus.jpg

roller
3rd December 2008, 08:04 PM
That pic has obviously been doctored. Here's a more color accurate version:

http://lindalane.com/temporary/tf/pinkimus.jpg

hahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, you gotta wonder why they stuffed up such an iconic figure, i read somewhere that they may have done this colour scheme so as to not depreciate the value of past releases. Thiis sounds wrong to me, really, why would hasbro care what the collector thinks if they can re release the same toy in exactly the same colours?

kup
3rd December 2008, 10:09 PM
lol even in that pinked up pic, the cab itself is still much more red than the actual toy!

GoktimusPrime
3rd December 2008, 10:17 PM
lol!

I've seen the toy in stores. Looks like @$$. :/

Lint
3rd December 2008, 10:32 PM
If it were actually coloured pink (instead of cheap diluted red) I would probably buy it for the novelty value. Maybe replace roller with a my little pony and some trolls.

d*r*j*
4th December 2008, 06:12 AM
I saw this guy yesterday... was $100 so I only had a look. The shop had two on the shelf and on one of them the trailer door had completely come loose and was floating around the front of the package... looked cheap. But the toys colours were really good to my eyes, I like the orangey red that Ironhide has... and with the short smokestacks and long missiles it really does look like a new fresh version of G1. I would be really surprised if I didn't end up owning this by xmas.

GoktimusPrime
4th December 2008, 08:49 AM
I'd recommend getting Encore Convoy over this toy. (-_-)

kup
4th December 2008, 09:31 AM
I'd recommend getting Encore Convoy over this toy. (-_-)

I agree but thanks to the AU dollar diving it is now considerably more expensive than Pinky

MV75
4th December 2008, 10:01 AM
$49USD is more expensive? Your calculator is broken.

kup
4th December 2008, 10:05 AM

Did you factor in the shipping which is usually US$30-$35 from the US? Also a shipping cost that some Hong Kong dealer like to throw in.

There is this local guy who is selling it for AU$150!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Encore-01-G1-Optimus-Prime-Convoy-Reissue_W0QQitemZ180220168473QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Not very cost effective given the current exchange rate isn't it?

d*r*j*
4th December 2008, 10:15 AM
Usually you can get an encore for a touch under AU$100 shipped from asia... haven't seen one that cheap from america though. Still can't beat the AU$80 in-hand price for the new one... plus the packaging is nice.

d*r*j*
4th December 2008, 10:19 AM

It's about Au$77 yeah? plus the postage... these are $80 in the shops.

MV75
4th December 2008, 12:05 PM
Did you factor in the shipping which is usually US$30-$35 from the US? Also a shipping cost that some Hong Kong dealer like to throw in.

There is this local guy who is selling it for AU$150!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-Encore-01-G1-Optimus-Prime-Convoy-Reissue_W0QQitemZ180220168473QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Not very cost effective given the current exchange rate isn't it?

Ebay? Oh please. Look at RK.

Only $80? Thanks d*r*j*. But I think I'd still rather spend the extra ~$20 on getting the encore. :)

kup
4th December 2008, 12:47 PM
Ebay? Oh please. Look at RK.

Only $80? Thanks d*r*j*. But I think I'd still rather spend the extra ~$20 on getting the encore. :)

what's shipping for a toy like that from RK?

Pulse
4th December 2008, 12:56 PM
With the cheapest shipping, it comes to $70.88 USD = $109 AUS not too bad :)

GoktimusPrime
4th December 2008, 08:55 PM
The AUD was pretty decent like Encore Convoy came out. Early bird catches the worm as they say. :)

loophole
4th December 2008, 08:59 PM
Ive got an original Prime so meh.....and after seeing sir pinky most defeintly a pass unless in a years time he's selling for like $20 then i would grab him, only for the Autobot symbol voice box thingy it is so cool!!

Kyle
8th December 2008, 01:28 PM
Ok, finally saw one in person this morning. It's actually not as bad as I expected! The only thing stopping me from getting him is the absence of the DVD.

i_amtrunks
8th December 2008, 02:23 PM
I saw two in TRU Castle Hill yesterday, both were pretty damn pink on the front of the cab. I could live with the shortened smokestacks, but the pink was glaringly obvious and looks awful next to the red plastic.

Voicebox is pretty sweet, love that it also plays the theme. Still nowhere near worth the $100 or whatever TRU are asking for it (not worth the $80 in Myer or Target either)

kup
8th December 2008, 02:34 PM
I saw two in TRU Castle Hill yesterday, both were pretty damn pink on the front of the cab. I could live with the shortened smokestacks, but the pink was glaringly obvious and looks awful next to the red plastic.

Voicebox is pretty sweet, love that it also plays the theme. Still nowhere near worth the $100 or whatever TRU are asking for it (not worth the $80 in Myer or Target either)

So many stores had huge piles of it so I would not be surprised if they shelfwarm for months and eventually end up half price or less.

Sadly, Hasbro will see this as further 'proof' that reissues don't sell rather than them making fundamental mistakes in the release of such a toy specially when there are much better Japanese alternatives.

DigDug
8th December 2008, 02:37 PM
Ok, finally saw one in person this morning. It's actually not as bad as I expected! The only thing stopping me from getting him is the absence of the DVD.

All the photos floating around the net seem quite accurate. In person, Prime really does look that pink to me! Worse still, the arms are a completely different shade of red, making Prime look like there was a bit of lousy panel beating in his past :(

I was hoping for a really nice g1 tribute, but with tough economic times kicking in, I feel a whole lot better about sticking with Pepsi Prime for now :p

The Scream Man
8th December 2008, 02:42 PM
Saw this in Target, but passed. Dont really need another version of that mold.

dirge
8th December 2008, 07:17 PM
The changes made to make this mould comply with toy safety laws in the USA still amaze me. Why the long missiles? Surely just solid-moulded (ie fixed on the launcher) missiles would work, and would be cheaper. Ditto for the Seekers.

The box for this Prime is big, but it can't justify him being 60%-100% more than the similarly sized Energon combiner team repaints alongside. I'd expect those to see a _lot_ faster.

Paulbot
8th December 2008, 08:20 PM
I think an Optimus Prime reissue would have sold well last Christmas for nostalgia factor after the movie. I don't think it looks that terrible. I haven't tried the soundbox; is that a "try in package" thing? I guess I didn't look close enough.

roller
8th December 2008, 09:06 PM

australian releases have no dvd?

loophole
8th December 2008, 09:14 PM
I haven't tried the soundbox; is that a "try in package" thing? I guess I didn't look close enough.

try in package and its grrrrrreat

dirge
8th December 2008, 09:46 PM
I don't think it looks that terrible.

The pink is... random... but not awful. I don't think it looks compelling at $100 - certainly not to random Joe Christmas buying something for little Johnny.

Kyle
8th December 2008, 11:14 PM
australian releases have no dvd?

Correct.

roller
9th December 2008, 09:57 AM
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!!!!

Is there a reason?

i_amtrunks
9th December 2008, 10:36 AM
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!!!!!

Is there a reason?

Region codes, USA being NTSC, Australian being PAL et etc.

Not that it matters much, so many DVD players play multi-regions and the like.

griffin
9th December 2008, 12:47 PM
Region codes, USA being NTSC, Australian being PAL et etc.
Not that it matters much, so many DVD players play multi-regions and the like.

Since it is both those factors (NTSC vs PAL, Region 1 vs Region 4), distributors in this country can't take the risk of upsetting kids or parents who haven't got a NTSC compatible TV AND Region free DVD player. Even though this reissue is aimed at adult collectors, retailers see it as just a toy, and would have demanded it be 'kid-friendly' with safety and DVD compatability - because it would be the retailers who would most likely get the complaints or do the refunds if there are any problems.

For plastic colouring it is cheaper. Working in the plastic industry for a number of years, plastic dyes are expensive enough to have it being cut back as one of their recent cost-cutting measures. It's just a balancing measure to see how far they can cut back, without going too pale.
But that would only explain the pale grey trailer, even though I'd think it would be a rather negligable cost difference.
I can't comment on the pinkish paint on the metal cab front, but it's possible it has the same issue, with the dye costing more than the base white paint. It would also be negligable, but, when you think that these toys are produced in the hundreds of thousands of units, requiring thousands of kilos of plastic and paint, it might be enough of a margin to make the toys more profitable to do.

1orion2many
9th December 2008, 01:56 PM
It's only more profitable if they sell them, if they sit on the shelves then it's just dead money and if they have to drastically reduce the price later to get them off the shelves then they may only break even on that particular item. I haven't seen the new reissue but surely they could have got a close colour match between the plastic and the paint work without cutting into their profits, they may have had someone that was colour blind trying to match the colours(you just never know):eek::D.

kup
9th December 2008, 02:15 PM
It's only more profitable if they sell them, if they sit on the shelves then it's just dead money and if they have to drastically reduce the price later to get them off the shelves then they may only break even on that particular item. I haven't seen the new reissue but surely they could have got a close colour match between the plastic and the paint work without cutting into their profits, they may have had someone that was colour blind trying to match the colours(you just never know):eek::D.

The lighter gray trailer is not really an issue for me and I would have looked past the short smoke stacks to support the 25th Anniversary toyline but the pink just killed the deal. Also as 1Orion2many mentioned, there is no point to cost cutting like that when they are going to end up as shelf warmers due to the massive amounts that the stores have bought only to be sold in retail at half price or less. I know that the store is Hasbro's costumer and their profit is already made but this will end up looking bad on Hasbro in the long run when their costumer (the stores) is unable to move the toys and have to end up selling them at a severely cut down price. All they had to do was give it a proper red color and that would have been enough for many.

roller
9th December 2008, 02:22 PM
now that i know that the Aust. release has no dvd, the incentive to purchase this is even lower.

Id rather fork out $100 for a 2nd hand G2 optimus prime wit voicebox

Kyle
9th December 2008, 02:29 PM
now that i know that the Aust. release has no dvd, the incentive to purchase this is even lower.

Id rather fork out $100 for a 2nd hand G2 optimus prime wit voicebox

Yeah, I would have much preferred they just used the old G2 voicebox (but with a new Peter Cullen voice chip of course), something that can actually form part of the toy.

d*r*j*
9th December 2008, 05:52 PM
Picked this guy up today, had to return something so I used the opportunity to snag a new prime. G1 is really the only thing about Transformers that I have a strong interest in and G1 Optimus Prime was my first memorable toy... I have had the French version with the red feet almost my entire life, it has had it's battles and lost a few along the way.
First thoughts about this toy were that it felt cheap. I knew the colour was a bit washed out and was okay with that, the trailer looks great and it has been many years since I had a roller, petrol pump or even a door that was properly attached to the back. The new OP feels fragile and it also looks pretty rough around the edges, the seams are too prevelant and there are more than a few spots were the plastic looks stressed. I guess it is just the normal way things go now with Hasbro product... which is a shame.
Having said all that... once I applied the stickers to this guy... he just looked awesome, he has an added knee joint and is as grand as ever on display as leader of the Autobots. I dunno... maybe if you can get him for around $60 it might be okay. I will eventually aquire the encore version as well though.

bassbot
11th December 2008, 09:35 PM
maaaaannnn
I've just read this entire thread thinking - crap.. I pre-ordered him, then the dollar dived... I think it cost me over $150... it's on its way so i haven't seen it in person... but .... ssshhheeeeiiiittteeee.

ah well. I may try to squeeze some cash and get an encore prime as well and keep this guy boxed...?

d*r*j*
12th December 2008, 12:02 AM
I think that I read on one of the american boards that he is around US$28 on sale now... probably a fair price.

MV75
12th December 2008, 08:25 AM
And that's for the better boxed USA edition too........ Yea, the one that looks good as a MISB display model.

Kyle
12th December 2008, 01:07 PM
It's times like this I wish I have a buddy in the US. :p

d*r*j*
12th December 2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah but with postage it would probably still be around $75-80 and all you get is an extra dvd... you can go to jb-hifi and get a 17 disc G1 boxset for $80 so it's not really that much of a saving... unless you have a completist compulsion of course.

Kyle
12th December 2008, 01:57 PM
Yeah but with postage it would probably still be around $75-80 and all you get is an extra dvd... you can go to jb-hifi and get a 17 disc G1 boxset for $80 so it's not really that much of a saving... unless you have a completist compulsion of course.

Definite the completist compulsion... :o

Doubledealer
12th December 2008, 02:02 PM
If Optimus was a steak, this release wouldn't be a prime cut. Although, if you like steak pink in the middle he's not a bad buy. I prefer my steak well done, like the Encore release. Shame the cost of meat is so high these days. :(

d*r*j*
12th December 2008, 02:15 PM
If Optimus was a steak, this release wouldn't be a prime cut. Although, if you like steak pink in the middle he's not a bad buy. I prefer my steak well done, like the Encore release. Shame the cost of meat is so high these days. :(

By well done do you mean 'overcooked' or 'cooked well' because you would have to both marinade and cook Hasbro's 'chuck steak prime' for quite a while on the bbq... just to get it edible. I'm hoping my encore will be like a medium rare porterhouse...

Doubledealer
12th December 2008, 03:26 PM
By well done do you mean 'overcooked' or 'cooked well' because you would have to both marinade and cook Hasbro's 'chuck steak prime' for quite a while on the bbq... just to get it edible. I'm hoping my encore will be like a medium rare porterhouse...
Cooked well my good man. You have to be careful though because if you do overcook there's a chance he could turn into Nemesis chuck prime. :(

GoktimusPrime
12th December 2008, 03:32 PM
Compare the pair...

Colours:
25th Anniv. has bright (IMO garish) colours.
Encore has G1-accurate colours (more or less).
Winner: ENCORE

Smokestacks:
25th Anniv. has shortened smokestacks, as do all Hasbro reissues due to child safety laws
Encore has full sized smokestacks due to Japanese reissues NOT being aimed a children!

Missiles (Combat Deck):
25th Anniv. has ridiculously oversized missiles - even though Hasbro has proven that another alternative is to remove the launching mechanism
Encore has original sized missiles and powerful launching mechanism

Bonus Goodies:
25th Anniv. comes with comic book (US version comes with DVD), neither of which are exclusive to the toy. It has a sound box.
Encore comes with tech spec card.
Winner: 25TH ANNIV.

Standard RRP:
25th Anniv. RRP is approx. $100 (TRU are selling them for about $80 claiming that it's 20% discounted according to their catalogue)
Encore retails for 5250JPY (Source (http://www.takaratomy.co.jp/products/TF/products/encore/e-01.html)) which is like $53 for Japanese people.
(not incl. external factors like exchange, shipping etc.)

...and from what I've heard the 25th anniv. has QC problems which the Encore doesn't.

Overall I'd say the Encore is the better toy between the two. JMO folks. :)

bassbot
15th December 2008, 08:40 AM
Well, my US 25th Anniversary arrived today, haven't opened him yet (if ever...). Depending on the light the red looks fine and then goes a bit pinky. It's definitely not a bright, strong red like the classic colours, but not as bad as some of the pics online that i've seen.
The extra's are cool.
I found a good price for an encore on ebay, so just waiting for that to turn up and then see what happens. My wife took it very well that I ordered another prime... :P

GoktimusPrime
16th December 2008, 12:08 PM
According to heroic_decepticon (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?p=70259#post70259) they have Encore Convoys in Singapore for AU$75. I believe shipping from Singapore to Australia is quite cheap too. :)

d*r*j*
16th December 2008, 12:28 PM
Yeah, there is usually about 3-4 sellers on ebay that sell encore prime for between $100 and $110... while browsing I usually find the listings in english pounds to be the cheaper ones from hong kong etc. Unfortunately for me encore is now on the back burner... basically because I need a new Ultra Magnus and to fully restore my old French G1...

1orion2many
16th December 2008, 01:28 PM
Well, my US 25th Anniversary arrived today, haven't opened him yet (if ever...). Depending on the light the red looks fine and then goes a bit pinky. It's definitely not a bright, strong red like the classic colours, but not as bad as some of the pics online that i've seen.
The extra's are cool.
I found a good price for an encore on ebay, so just waiting for that to turn up and then see what happens. My wife took it very well that I ordered another prime... :P

I find after a while the dog house becomes quite cosy:p:D.

k.wong23
23rd December 2008, 08:05 PM
Is 25th Anniv Prime worth buying for $48? hmm

kup
23rd December 2008, 08:22 PM

For the accessories and chrome parts to fix an old G1 figure, possibly.

k.wong23
23rd December 2008, 08:34 PM
For the accessories and chrome parts to fix an old G1 figure, possibly.

jeez well I do have an old G1 to fix but he needs long smokestacks...so I guess I may pass then haha oh well:)

kup
24th December 2008, 12:08 AM
jeez well I do have an old G1 to fix but he needs long smokestacks...so I guess I may pass then haha oh well:)

Short smokestacks kinda do kill the deal. Wait till its down to $29.95 :)

GoktimusPrime
24th December 2008, 08:42 AM
I recommend looking for an Encore Convoy for a good price (though you may have to wait until the AUD strengthens up more).

Here are a few I found on eBay:
(1) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Reissue-ENCORE-01-OPTIMUS-PRIME-Convoy_W0QQitemZ370133659541QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item 370133659541&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177) <--Buy it now price is 24.99GBP ($54) and it's located in Hong Kong which should mean cheaper postage

(2) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Reissue-ENCORE-01-OPTIMUS-PRIME-Convoy_W0QQitemZ200290953655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item 200290953655&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177) <--Buy it now price is 31.43GBP ($68) also located in HK. This seller is selling another Encore Convoy for the same price here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Reissue-ENCORE-01-OPTIMUS-PRIME-Convoy_W0QQitemZ200289660663QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item 200289660663&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177)

...that was just from a quick search. You might be able to find better bargains with a more thorough search.

>>currency exchange based on xe.com<<

d*r*j*
27th December 2008, 12:25 PM
I recommend looking for an Encore Convoy for a good price (though you may have to wait until the AUD strengthens up more).

Here are a few I found on eBay:
(1) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Reissue-ENCORE-01-OPTIMUS-PRIME-Convoy_W0QQitemZ370133659541QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item 370133659541&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177) <--Buy it now price is 24.99GBP ($54) and it's located in Hong Kong which should mean cheaper postage

(2) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Reissue-ENCORE-01-OPTIMUS-PRIME-Convoy_W0QQitemZ200290953655QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item 200290953655&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177) <--Buy it now price is 31.43GBP ($68) also located in HK. This seller is selling another Encore Convoy for the same price here (http://cgi.ebay.com/Transformers-G1-Reissue-ENCORE-01-OPTIMUS-PRIME-Convoy_W0QQitemZ200289660663QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_ ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN?hash=item 200289660663&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177)

...that was just from a quick search. You might be able to find better bargains with a more thorough search.

>>currency exchange based on xe.com<<

Postage on that first one is 19 pounds which is a little over $40... not too bad. Comes in under $100ppd.

d*r*j*
27th December 2008, 12:31 PM

If that's $48 in aussie dollars and you don't have to pay postage... then yeah it is worth it. It displays nicely and is a very unique version of the mold. The washed out colours, short smokestacks, long missiles all make it look like a different OP.

If it's $48 american with postage added then I doubt that it's worth it.

I reckon a fair price for this Optimus Prime is Aus$60.

Hereticpoo
6th January 2009, 03:17 PM
Does Roller's launch mechanism work in Encore Convoy?

d*r*j*
6th January 2009, 04:23 PM
Does Roller's launch mechanism work in Encore Convoy?

Yeah, it does on mine... probably a little stronger than the 25th though.

GoktimusPrime
7th January 2009, 09:16 AM
Heh, yeah, the Roller launchers on my Japanese reissues lets Roller fly. :D

bassbot
7th January 2009, 09:30 AM
I found an Encore prime for total aus $75 off ebay. still waiting for delivery though

d*r*j*
14th January 2009, 10:02 AM
I found an Encore prime for total aus $75 off ebay. still waiting for delivery though

That's a really good price... what country is it from?