PDA

View Full Version : Raaaargh! Stuck in Purgatory!!!

Tetsuwan Convoy
27th October 2008, 08:37 PM
Hey guys, just a quick hello from internet purgatory here.

Some of you mya have been wondering why I have been away for a while. Weel, the old saying, "if it doesn't rain, it pours" comes to mind for my situation.

It all began one sunny afternoon whilst I was trying to plan my holiday.......

When surfing the net for hotel sites and the like, I came across the fact that dial up is WAY too slow for the likes of most sites. As a result, my surfing was slow and very frustrating. My conclusion? Time to get me some Broadband access!!!

So I signed up for some iinet love, they seemed nioce and cheap for phone and internet and overall preety good, as most people I had talked to had sai that iinet was a good company, so I signed up.

Well, my phone got disconnected (as it does for them) and a week later (thankyou weekends and public holidays)I got a modem, but it would'nt sync with the line. Half a week later, a tech came out, got sync with his modem and said the modem was stuffed.

Aother half week later, I got another modem. Well, that one sync'ed ok, but only for about 3 seconds. So after much chatting to the people at iinet support (who were all very nice and friendly). A week later, I was advised to buy another brand modem (and they would take back the one from them).

So I got my other modem (third one and 3.5 weeks now) and that one looked like it sync'ed. Again after about 2 hours of freindly iinet support, I had it syncing with the line. I hung up the phone (my mobile coz the land line is connected to the modem....) and the thing drops out of sync.

Disbelief ensues....

More calling to support and watching the modem sync and then drop in and out for an hour and they decide to lodge a fault call so someone can come and check the line ( this happend 2 weeks ago....)

So that is where I am up to. I know there are net-cafe's around, but with full time work and full time study, followed up by holiday planning, I don't have time to get to them as there aren't any local one around.

So thats my story of woe. On thursday the 30th, October it will be 4 weeks of shenanigans.

Not sure how much longer it will take. I am working, using my mums dial-up connections for this now..... Oh what lows I have sunk to.

roller
27th October 2008, 08:44 PM
they say theres some internet up Californie way :D

llamatron
27th October 2008, 08:46 PM
Yikes. If you're close enough to neighbours maybe you can find an unsecured (or weakly secured) wireless network floating around?

Kyle
27th October 2008, 08:48 PM
they say theres some internet up Californie way :D

That South Park episode was the funniest... :D

Pulse
27th October 2008, 08:57 PM
You can get sh#tty about it or you can just take it in your stride... :D (otherwise those grey's will multiply faster & faster... :p)

liegeprime
27th October 2008, 08:58 PM
Try TPG instead TC. NO problems whatsoever, you do need to have a phone line of course. I got mine for $50/month , 25 gigabytes ADSL 2. only waited about 24 hours after setting it up viola, never failed me for a year now. :D

jgon2098
27th October 2008, 09:01 PM
Try TPG instead TC. NO problems whatsoever, you do need to have a phone line of course. I got mine for $50/month , 25 gigabytes ADSL 2. only waited about 24 hours after setting it up viola, never failed me for a year now. :D

TPG is the ownage, cheapst adsl2+ if i'm not wrong. their customer service is a hit and miss.

liegeprime
27th October 2008, 09:11 PM
TPG actually does have the cheapest ADSL2 rates, they also came on top of a consumer poll for most affordable as in good value for your dollar in terms of internet provider, as is Savvytel for prepaid phone service - saw it on TV months ago. But Ive already been using TPG while I was living in my Aunts house for two years, fast broadband, never had any probs, so when I got my own house, called them up and easy peezy..:)

jaydisc
27th October 2008, 09:13 PM
FWIW, I've got nothing but praise for iiNet. Have been with them for nearly 5 years across 3 addresses. Lack of sync is typically a line issue (Telstra), or your internal wiring (You've isolated and tested?), especially if you've tested multiple modems.

Tetsuwan Convoy
27th October 2008, 09:20 PM
Yikes. If you're close enough to neighbours maybe you can find an unsecured (or weakly secured) wireless network floating around?
Lol, tried already ;). All secured, dammit

You can get sh#tty about it or you can just take it in your stride... :D (otherwise those grey's will multiply faster & faster... :p)
Yeh, been STRONGLY taking it in my stride and hassling them daily.

I think the problem is the old house here. I believ the phone line to be old and dodgy too.

Autocon
28th October 2008, 12:10 AM
I am working, using my mums dial-up connections for this now..... Oh what lows I have sunk to.

u could sink even lower:p come over n use my interwebz

tho will be in the day coz u need the light off n the house is a mess:o

Pulse
28th October 2008, 12:17 AM
Yeh, been STRONGLY taking it in my stride and hassling them daily.

http://festivusweb.com/images/frank-costanza.jpg"SERENITY NOW!" :D

i_amtrunks
28th October 2008, 09:31 AM
That blows.

I had similar issues when I changed over from the hacks who bought out my old ISP (some company called Supernerd who were so very dodgy) to TPG.

So far now qualms with TPG, but I have heard excellent things about iinet from mates who are with them.

Stick with it, but it might pay to go wireless broadband since it seems your phone lines are dodgy.

Tetsuwan Convoy
28th October 2008, 05:57 PM
It seems to be all fixed!

Whee, got a wireless network about the place.

Turns out the alarm system was buggering it all up.

Bloody thing isn't even monitored......

Just gotta hook up my Wii now :D

Firecracker
28th October 2008, 06:54 PM
I was gonna chime in and ask if you've got any security systems installed. Pain. In. The. Rear. Hooray, now you have speed... hopefully. :p Which ii plan you on? I've been with iinet for ages. Brilliant. 30gb is dangerous. :D Have been tempted to switch to Naked, but the counted uploads are a real turn off for me.

jaydisc
28th October 2008, 06:56 PM
IHave been tempted to switch to Naked, but the counted uploads are a real turn off for me.

I have a Naked Business (need a static IP) and didn't realize the whole upload thing until too late. I have 50GB any time though.

Firecracker
28th October 2008, 07:09 PM
50gb isn't too bad, if you do a lot of uploading, ie: sharing :p it means you've still got quite alot for downloading. Being of little means would require me to stick to a lower end NDSL plan, couple that with the amount of uploading we do :p, its not all together viable.

I've been searching around for other ISPs to try and lessen my monthly expenditure, but for my location there is nothing of value available. :(
I love iinet though, and our plan is great... Internet or Transformers, internet or Transformers... :o

jaydisc
28th October 2008, 08:19 PM
50gb isn't too bad, if you do a lot of uploading, ie: sharing :p it means you've still got quite alot for downloading.

Yeah, even if you have your ratio as low as 1.0, anything you download takes 2x its size from your quota. :(

(Sorry for the hijack TC. Glad yours is working!)

The_Damned
29th October 2008, 04:54 AM
i get 40g a month and uploads dont count for me:p

llamatron
29th October 2008, 07:08 PM
I used to have amnet and it was great but I moved out of their area and had to switch over. I hoped onto an iinet naked plan, 40 gig on peak 60 gig off (uploads count) and some months I still go over the limit. :(

There are 4 people using the connection though.