PDA

View Full Version : M.A.S.K Coming to the Big Screen

Tober
20th April 2018, 07:55 AM
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/939029-paramount-f-gary-gray-bring-hasbros-mask-big-screen

UltraMarginal
20th April 2018, 10:14 AM
I like to see old properties like this get a modern development. Like everything else though, I'm sure there will be enough changing from the original material that it will be considered more accessable to the mainstream but frustrate those who are long term fans.

I used to enjoy MASK a lot, but never to the point that I wanted the toys. I hope they do a good job with it, it has a lot of potential.

Kranix
20th April 2018, 11:01 AM
Wow! M.A.S.K along with Transformers and TMNT were my favourite toy lines as a kid, so this news means all 3 properties have modern movie releases. if done right this movie could be very cool! I wouldn't object if it lead to some toy reissues either...

Deonasis
20th April 2018, 11:33 AM
Back when Hasbro was talking about its cinematic universe, I always thought M.A.S.K. was the easiest tech that could evolve from the Transformers. I mean they had a whole Stealth Force line (and convincing holograms if that helps).

In later TF movies, I expected groups like Cemetery Wind to be riding in generic armored strike vehicles to aid them against giant robots.

So set a new franchise somewhere else in the world, where some no-gooders who operate under a punchy acronym have acquired this tech and been secretly improving it for nefarious purposes, and the creation of M.A.S.K. was the do-gooder response. Transformers footage would only need to be shown or spoken about for 2 seconds.

*I clearly know nothing on the canon M.A.S.K. backstory.

Tober
20th April 2018, 12:08 PM
I like to see old properties like this get a modern development. Like everything else though, I'm sure there will be enough changing from the original material that it will be considered more accessable to the mainstream but frustrate those who are long term fans.

I used to enjoy MASK a lot, but never to the point that I wanted the toys. I hope they do a good job with it, it has a lot of potential.

I liked the show and toys a lot when I was a kid. The toys mostly still hold up, but when I watched a few episodes several years ago I had to stop. Better left as a good memory :o, I'm completely happy for the synopsis to mostly change.

Wow! M.A.S.K along with Transformers and TMNT were my favourite toy lines as a kid, so this news means all 3 properties have modern movie releases. if done right this movie could be very cool! I wouldn't object if it lead to some toy reissues either...

I doubt they would still have the vintage molds, but maybe they do. :cool:

Back when Hasbro was talking about its cinematic universe, I always thought M.A.S.K. was the easiest tech that could evolve from the Transformers. I mean they had a whole Stealth Force line (and convincing holograms if that helps).

In later TF movies, I expected groups like Cemetery Wind to be riding in generic armored strike vehicles to aid them against giant robots.

So set a new franchise somewhere else in the world, where some no-gooders who operate under a punchy acronym have acquired this tech and been secretly improving it for nefarious purposes, and the creation of M.A.S.K. was the do-gooder response. Transformers footage would only need to be shown or spoken about for 2 seconds.

*I clearly know nothing on the canon M.A.S.K. backstory.

Some of the Human Alliance Basics sets could have passed for MASK vehicles too. :o

UltraMarginal
20th April 2018, 01:37 PM
Some of the Human Alliance Basics sets could have passed for MASK vehicles too. :o

I completely agree with this. Aesthetic not so much but concept, definitely.

bowspearer
20th April 2018, 09:10 PM
I have VERY mixed feelings. It COULD be good, but so many of these remakes have been hit and miss.

I'm going to wait and see with it all.

I wouldn't object if it lead to some toy reissues either...

Only if the boxes and date stamping on the reissues are clearly different from the originals.

I'm happy for people to get their hands on these toys because they're awesome, but I'd at least like my sealed and boxed stuff to hold some of its value.

drifand
23rd April 2018, 09:21 AM
I have VERY mixed feelings. It COULD be good, but so many of these remakes have been hit and miss.

A lot of such movies are bad nowadays, I like to be really surprise if it turns out well.

Can you imagine Beebop? oh man is like another jarjar binks in Starwars, it wont work as real action movie but as a cartoon is fine.

Lint
23rd April 2018, 06:58 PM
Can you imagine Beebop? oh man is like another jarjar binks in Starwars, it wont work as real action movie but as a cartoon is fine.

Are you talking about T-bob? To be honest they could just leave him out of it.

I'd dig a M.A.S.K live action film. Given that Hollywood likes to follow established formulas I wouldn't even mind if it was a Fast & Furious style film.

But given it's Hasbro it'll probably end up like G.I Joe.

Tober
23rd April 2018, 07:18 PM
Are you talking about T-bob? To be honest they could just leave him out of it.

I'd dig a M.A.S.K live action film. Given that Hollywood likes to follow established formulas I wouldn't even mind if it was a Fast & Furious style film.

But given it's Hasbro it'll probably end up like G.I Joe.

Once movie rights are acquired, Hasbro tends to stay out of the creative process, as was seen with Paramount and the 2007 Transformers movie and sequels. They only really provided input on toys, the success or failure of their IP was left up to the studios.

sideswipes brother
24th April 2018, 06:09 PM

Only if the boxes and date stamping on the reissues are clearly different from the originals.

I'm happy for people to get their hands on these toys because they're awesome, but I'd at least like my sealed and boxed stuff to hold some of its value.

Hit and miss??? Pretty much just plain miss!!! FU Micheal Bay!!

MV75
28th April 2018, 09:06 AM
Don't deny you'll all buy a Rhino toy. :)

M-bot
28th April 2018, 10:20 AM

I... can’t deny it.:D

Deonasis
28th April 2018, 11:15 AM

The Rhino will probably turn into a jet.

Signed,
Transformers fans

Lint
30th April 2018, 10:49 AM
The Rhino will probably turn into a jet.

Signed,
Transformers fans

Nah Rhino will turn into a "battle robot". Why waste let all those existing animation models go to waste?

While we're at it, just let Venom have construction vehicles so they can combine into a 'boss monster'

bowspearer
30th April 2018, 12:14 PM
Hit and miss??? Pretty much just plain miss!!! FU Micheal Bay!!

I was trying to be optimisitc. Realistically, the odds are on it being a turd.

EDIT: Also let's hope that the production team, unlike IDW, actually know what they're doing here. And for anyone who asks, yes I could have done a job way better on the story than they were clearly capable of. In fact I know exactly how I would have approached it, people would have still gotten a black leader of M.A.S.K., the integrity of the character would have been intact and it would have told a very human story - one about the hidden costs of war and the dark legacies it can sometimes breed. Old-time fans would have probably wanted to throw their comics across the room; not because of the quality of the story, but because of the dark place it would have gone and how tortured their old favourite characters would have been in this.

Ethel_Hallow
8th January 2020, 10:14 PM
Aura ON!

As long as they find a director who keeps it close to the cartoon. I wanna see some gullwing door red Thunderhawk car with Matt Tracker and Gloria Barker a little Spectrum's got such super vision. Fighting Switchblade in the skies.

I'm a M.A.S.K nerd only second to my Transformers and there is Thundercats too....oh the love of the best cartoons ever. 80's

Thurmus
9th January 2020, 09:27 AM
As soon as I saw there was a new post in this thread I knew it had to be you Ethel. :D

Ethel_Hallow
9th January 2020, 09:49 AM
As soon as I saw there was a new post in this thread I knew it had to be you Ethel. :D

Hi yep, predictable me. I do not even know why I like this cartoon, it must be nostalgic or is it just the red car that flys.

Thurmus
9th January 2020, 11:07 AM
Probably because it was awesome. I have unleashed it on my son and he loves it too. My brother had Rhino and I had the Jet/Helicopter. It is probably not as good as I remember but I loved it as a kid.

Kranix
9th January 2020, 04:39 PM
I was a huge M.A.S.K nerd too, again second only to Transformers for me. I had a decent collection but no big ones like Rhino or Outlaw.

Strangely, I loved the cartoon as a kid but can't enjoy it now, whereas I still really enjoy the transformers cartoon.

Miss Kitty Fantastico
11th January 2020, 10:42 PM
I vaguely remember hearing about this back when it was announced, but I hadn't read the quote wikipedia's got (from 2018) that it'd be 'a contemporary subculture movie with a youth empowerment angle.' I don't want to read too much into it, but that kind of makes me suspect Scott was going to be the main character, so we may have dodged a bullet there.

I'm kind of having a difficult time imagining a M.A.S.K. film, just on the basis that - and I say this with love - it was dumb as a bag of rocks. I mean Bumblebee showed pretty clearly that you do want to lean into the colourful 80s nostalgia, rather than redesign everything to be grey and military (looking at you, Rise of Cobra), but I feel like there's a really small audience for whom a straight-up live action version of Thunderhawk flying around on its stupid gull-wing doors is not a joke. Tough pitch.

(That said, if you're reading this Paramount, the magic words are 'Eva Green as Vanessa Warfield'.)