PDA

View Full Version : Reissue Gen1 Hotrod again?

griffin
5th May 2018, 11:09 AM
HK online store Robotkingdom has just listed a pre-order for a reissue of the Gen1 Hotrod toy in June (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/05/04/walmart-exclusive-g1-hot-rod-reissue-363335)... noted as a Walmart exclusive (in America).

If this ends up being true, there are so many questions... like, is this the start of a new round of reissues from Hasbro, or, is this just a one-off toy because Walmart was the exclusive home of the Hotrod character from the TF5 movie, or, Hasbro had rushed to production various random exclusives for ToysRUs late last year to help keep them in business (before the decision to liquidate the business), and now Hasbro are having to find other retailers for those exclusives.

Hopefully Hasbro will make some announcements about this soon, as the next official event for announcements is SDCC in July, which is after this one comes out.
(if not, we will probably have the usual Chinese leaks, if this is the first of a series)

FatalityPitt
6th May 2018, 08:42 PM
I think this is good, for people who don't already have Hot Rod. Hopefully this G1 Hot Rod becomes available here. I don't have a G1 Hot Rod myself. I've had opportunities to get a pre-owned copy, but could never justify paying the prices they were asking for.

GoktimusPrime
7th May 2018, 01:31 AM
but could never justify paying the prices they were asking for.
Speaking of which, US$35.90 (roughly AU$50) seems like a lot to pay for a G1 Hot Rod. :eek: The first reissue was about AU$30 and I seem to recall the Hasbro Commemorative Series reissue selling at local TRU here for around that price. Even reissue Rodimus Convoy was cheaper at about $40.

My reissue Hot Rodimus was stolen but I still have my reissue Targetmaster Hot Rodimus (plus by old G1 Hot Rod). Not sure if I can justify getting another G1 Hot Rod for this price though.

ChlorHex
7th May 2018, 02:08 AM
My reissue Hot Rodimus was stolen but I still have my reissue Targetmaster Hot Rodimus (plus by old G1 Hot Rod). Not sure if I can justify getting another G1 Hot Rod for this price though.

They're selling the nostalgia factor with the G1 box... I have all the Japanese reissues but for the US old school box design, I might just bite on this one :rolleyes:

MayzaPrime
7th May 2018, 09:10 AM
I jumped on it... just cause of the retro box

Paulbot
7th May 2018, 12:21 PM
If it comes in that box I'd be tempted, but I don't think it's likely to come in that box.

danny-boy
7th May 2018, 01:23 PM
“Pre packaged Star Wars characters still in their display box? Are those the limited edition action figures? Why it’s Luke, and Obi-wan, and my favourite Chewie! They’re all here!”

G1 Figures in their original packaging. This is what I’ve been dreaming of.

kovert
7th May 2018, 08:04 PM
The 'Generation One Commemorative Series' Rodimus Major cost A$35 at Toys 'R' Us in Australia back in 2003. Adjusted for inflation (2017) that is now around A$50.

GoktimusPrime
8th May 2018, 12:19 AM
*rubs chin*
*does maths*

You're right. :)

My working...

In 2003 Deluxes (known as Max-Cons) cost about $25.
Disclaimer: I'm working off the Japanese RRP but IIRC the AU RRP wasn't too different, so give or take a few dollars.
This year the price of Deluxe figures has risen to $35, representing a x1.4 price rise.
If Commemorative Series Rodimus Major cost $35 in 2003, then 1.4 x $35 = $49, which of course rounds up to $50.

So yeah, it is on par with the rate of inflation for Deluxe Class figures. :) Other size classes have also risen in price, but it happened a few years ago. Remember when Scout Class figures used to be $15? They're now called Legends Class and they're $20, so that's a rise of x1.3. And the cost of Voyagers (formerly known as Megas) and Ultras also crept up during the Unicron Trilogy years. Voyagers now sell for the cost of Ultras and although it's been a while since we've had any Ultras in stores, they did sell at $70.

I guess it's like being a frog saucepan. ;)

DarkHyren
8th May 2018, 07:53 AM
Now up for preorder on Toybot Importz as well: https://www.toybotimportz.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/transformers-g1-autobot-hot-rod
Just stock photos for now, be interesting to see what packaging this ends up using and if they end up reissuing more G1 figures

UltraMarginal
8th May 2018, 10:06 AM
I swear I bought that hot rod from TRU for $25. I jumped on it at the time. then the following commemorative toys were $70 for some reason and I left them on the shelf.

I like the idea of commemorative toys like this, if they did commemorative dinobots for $50 I'd probably grab them. but we've been hearing for years that the moulds were lost ... so I don't know how much I care personally.

philby
8th May 2018, 12:07 PM
I swear I bought that hot rod from TRU for $25. I jumped on it at the time. then the following commemorative toys were $70 for some reason and I left them on the shelf.

I like the idea of commemorative toys like this, if they did commemorative dinobots for $50 I'd probably grab them. but we've been hearing for years that the moulds were lost ... so I don't know how much I care personally.

Can they reverse engineer the molds? If they got some of the actual toys, can they make new molds from them? Would it be any cheaper today than 30 years ago with stuff like 3D printing? So it might not be exactly 100% the same but close enough...?

Jazzman
8th May 2018, 12:49 PM

Be nice just to see a head count of what moulds were actually available after all these years. Been lots of reissues... just wonder what else is out there :confused:

UltraMarginal
8th May 2018, 02:51 PM
Can they reverse engineer the molds? If they got some of the actual toys, can they make new molds from them? Would it be any cheaper today than 30 years ago with stuff like 3D printing? So it might not be exactly 100% the same but close enough...?

I think you'll find they'd end up being like a KO in geometric accuracy. it would be a multi stage process making wax moulds or something similar, and working up to a metallic mould. with each step, the geometry would lose accuracy (thermal expansion and surface damage to parent mould) the final product would have much less surface definition and possibly not mate with adjoining parts.

3D printing requires an accurate CAD model, and is no where near cheap enough for the volumes they would have to produce.

They may be able to essentially re-design them from scratch using existing copies of the original toys and developing new cad models, then a machined mould would fit together but there would be minor if not noticeable differences to the original toy, Which I'd be more than happy with but the Non-recurring Engineering on that would be as much if not more than a new design, possibly hard to recoup from a toy design of that vintage.

Be nice just to see a head count of what moulds were actually available after all these years. Been lots of reissues... just wonder what else is out there :confused:

That is a list I would love to see, something that there could be a fan vote on, or even stuff that could be released through that crowd fund style system they did with the sail barge from star wars

MV75
8th May 2018, 07:30 PM
Real inflation puts it at $44, but yea, this is aussie retail.

I see no numbering on this, so I'd rule out a commemorative release run. BUT, they may be doing a g1 repro run. That would be exciting.

griffin
8th May 2018, 09:30 PM
I remember Rodimus Major (Hotrod) was surprisingly cheap compared to the other Hasbro reissues here in 2002, as it should have been about AU$40, based on the prices of the others compared to the various US prices.
I recall that the US prices at that time were about half of the Australian prices for the others, but Hotrod was only slightly more than the US price (I think it was US$20 in America, while it was only AU$30 here, when it was expected to be about AU$40).
As such, an AU$50 price now would also be about on par with the US price 16 years ago... and probably cheaper than it should be considering inflation, and how much extra Hasbro likes charging on collector figures these days.

Commemorative Series Reissue retail prices in Australia at TRU (http://www.otca.com.au/archive1.html#csr).
Optimus Prime - $90
Ultra Magnus - $70-90
Decepticon Jets / Rodimus Prime - $70-90
Autobot Cars - $70
Rodimus Major - $30 I just wish I had recorded the US retail prices back then.

GoktimusPrime
8th May 2018, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I remember seeing him for $25, but it was discounted from $30.
I got the first Takara reissue for around that price but it got stolen a few years later. :(

Yes, the later bookcase style boxed reissues were $70 which was stupidly expensive considering that you could either:
a/ Preorder the Takara reissues from HLJ and get them for about half the price, or...
b/ Go to a local import store and get the Takara reissues for about the same price

Back then TRU priced their toys as if online shopping didn't exist. Oh wait...

danny-boy
9th May 2018, 07:56 PM
no longer on Robot Kingdom's website. the plot thickens.

Galvatran
9th May 2018, 08:49 PM
no longer on Robot Kingdom's website. the plot thickens.
Sounds like they pulled Hotrod.

High_Q
9th May 2018, 08:57 PM
Sounds like they pulled Hotrod.

I received an email from RK about this item with this announcement:

Thanks for your Robotkingdom order for:

Walmart Exclusive TRANSFORMERS G1 AUTOBOT HOT ROD.

Preorder will be re-opened upon further notification.

Your order is already on our record and it is still valid.

I think they just filled their preorders since i've not received a refund.

Galvatran
11th May 2018, 08:25 PM
I received an email from RK about this item with this announcement:

Thanks for your Robotkingdom order for:

Walmart Exclusive TRANSFORMERS G1 AUTOBOT HOT ROD.

Preorder will be re-opened upon further notification.

Your order is already on our record and it is still valid.

I think they just filled their preorders since i've not received a refund.
That's bizarre. Looks as though this thread has several posts pulled as well. *twilight zone melody*

Jay-Tron
13th May 2018, 08:17 PM
After years of hoping, waiting for more reissues finally a new G1 reissue. I already have a Hotrod reissue but am excited about this none the less. My fantasy would be for Hasbro or Takara to release some rare G1 reissues for those who missed out last time and then use the profit from those to create new molds for transformers with damaged or lost molds that have never been re issued such as the G1 Dinobots... Brand new official G1 Dinobot reissues... One can dream right?

High_Q
21st May 2018, 11:17 AM
The G1 Hot Rod reissue is now re-open for preorder at RK (http://www.robotkingdom.com/e2052cv00.html).

griffin
23rd May 2018, 05:38 AM
The toy has shown up on the Walmart site (http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/05/21/g1-hot-rod-reissue-official-listing-and-stock-images-364098), with official images, confirming its existence, and showing us how similar it looks to the original toy.

danny-boy
23rd May 2018, 03:50 PM
That G1 packaging is absolutely gorgeous. I’ll be buying two. I can’t wait to see the next G1 reissue and how far the line will go.

janda the red
23rd May 2018, 04:07 PM
Wow! That looks amazing.

Fingers crossed they re do the seekers like that.

:)

reillyd
23rd May 2018, 06:30 PM
That G1 packaging is absolutely gorgeous. I’ll be buying two. I can’t wait to see the next G1 reissue and how far the line will go.

It would be lovely to see further reissues in that packaging style. I never liked the TRU commerative line in a square box. But given Encore died, and TT has shown no further interest in G1 lately, I won't hold my breath.

FatalityPitt
23rd May 2018, 08:14 PM
Just had a funny thought; maybe someone high up at Hasbro caught wind of Goktimus Prime's April Fool's Day joke (http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=25371) and thought to themselves "Heyyyy, let's reissue some G1 figures! Been a while since we did that, and it'll buy us more time to come up with new ideas." Then they announced G1 Hot Rod to test the market.

Jetfire in the sky
24th May 2018, 09:03 AM

Stunning, being a vintage purist I used to dislike the reissues but over the years I've grown to love them.
I'm glad they have gone with such magnificent packaging, this won't just be for adult collectors this is such great a great gift for kids, easy to transform and sturdy to play with.

UltraMarginal
24th May 2018, 09:47 AM
a word of caution, for those who are packaging purists, this is a bilingual box. I don't have a link but I did see the back of the box on Twitter and even the tech spec is in two languages. It's not a big deal I imagine for most, but could be a surprise if you're not expecting it. as a result the tech spec takes up more space than traditionally.

kovert
24th May 2018, 01:11 PM
It's great how they used the old Hasbro logo. Would be a shame to receive one with a damaged box. :eek:

Bidoofdude
24th May 2018, 09:51 PM
Packaging is crisp. I don't collect sealed stuff but it would be really nice to keep that boy minty and fresh in there.

danny-boy
7th June 2018, 11:17 PM
Got mine from Robot Kingdom today. What a beauty. I love that I have a G1 Hot Rod in replica G1 packaging.

Interesting to note that at the bottom of the box it says ‘Distributed in Australia by Hasbro Australia Ltd’, with number and address Also says distributed in NZ by Hasbro NZ. Does this mean this will hit the local stores?

Paulbot
7th June 2018, 11:44 PM
Interesting to note that at the bottom of the box it says ‘Distributed in Australia by Hasbro Australia Ltd’, with number and address Also says distributed in NZ by Hasbro NZ. Does this mean this will hit the local stores?

This is a very frequently asked question about TF exclusives. It could show up here but that text is on many exclusive toys that haven’t been sold here.